Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B, 2, let Ning'er take a break for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

BraveLittleToaster posted:

B, 2, let Ning'er take a break for a bit.

:hai:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I dont suppose you can kill the NoMercy House Master with the instant death evil blood sword?

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I dont suppose you can kill the NoMercy House Master with the instant death evil blood sword?

I have no idea. Siwang doesn't actually have the evilness required to learn that technique, and neither does He Yuqing. He Ziwan might be able to learn it if I used some modded sutras to drop her evilness from "sort of selfish and also a troll" to "poisoning people for teh lulz", but that would be a lot more effort than I'm willing to put in.

I do think that if it could be done, I would have seen something about it in the Chinese community.

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't want to post without an update.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 47: A Holiday in Barbarian Land

Well then, Brother Siwang, shall we move on Qingtian Fortress now?
Hmmm... maybe after we get you up to speed first. New weapons, new armor, maybe a nice sutra or two...
I assure you, my Hun-killing arts are perfectly adequate for a dog like Zhang Yinfei.
Are you saying that you are that much better than everyone in Qingtian Fortress?
Well... no.
Remember, he defeated you last time because he already knows what you can do. It might take a few days, but if you master a different technique you can take Zhang Yinfei by surprise.
Brother Siwang has a truly impressive collection of martial arts sutras, Brother Wang! I'm sure you can find something suitable for you.
Very well. I yield to your wisdom.
Hmm... but we still need to find targets to practice on, and we're more or less out of local bandits.
How about the Wolf Barbarians? Since Qingtian Fortress has been taken over by Zhang Yinfei I doubt they're still patrolling.
An excellent idea, Sister He.
Let's drop by the Hidden Flower Cottage on the way, I have a medical sutra I could use Doctor Chen's advice on.

As mentioned previously, before I reinstalled the game this sutra was bugged out and blank. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, but at least now Siwang can get a bit closer to that elusive 100 medical skill, which will give him a free talent point. The craftable consumables this sutra teaches aren't very useful at this stage of the game.

In fact, there's also a sidequest at the Hidden Flower Cottage which has mysteriously unbugged itself as well. Cheng Yanhua's daughter, Feifei, had previously asked Siwang to pick up some herbs for her, but the game was unable to recognize the herbs. I think the modded sutra version of the translation mod was using an older translation? Anyway, this means she can now accept the herbs and practice making medicine like Doctor Chen.

Let's start making some medicine!
Okay! Leave it to me!

First I need to chop the poria finely...
Knives are dangerous, let me help you!
No! I'll do it myself!
Now dip the ginseng into scalding hot water... ow!
Err... Feifei...
I can do it!

Now to crush the tiger bone...
Do you have the strength?
Yes!
Now to form the pill...

Oh no...
How could this...
What's wrong?
I followed the book exactly, there shouldn't have been any mistakes!

Wow! What is this black ooze of a potion! Will it make you ill?
Not ill, it's a pill! As least, that's what it's supposed to be...

What's going on here?
What is this nonsense? Feifei, are you using the alchemy furnace by yourself?
I... I just...
This smell... are you trying to make the Poria Shou Wu pill?

You naughty child, when did you steal a look at my medical books?
I wanted to learn some more powerful medical skills so I read through them!
What a child indeed...

Do you know what you did wrong?
No!
So open and honest... listen, you cannot use the same intensity of fire throughout the whole process of pill-making.

The heat of the fire must be changed according to the color of the pills in order to succeed in making them properly.
What a pity, you have wasted some valuable herbs...

Boohoo...
Come here.
...?

I have some herbs here, let me demonstrate once for you and the young warrior here to see.

Awesome!
Haha, you still have much to learn.

While taking a nap in the fields nearby (Siwang is sadly unable to commandeer Doctor Chen's or Cheng Yanhua's bed), Siwang triggers something new! Party chat!

After reinstalling, I've been seeing "Favourability with XXX went up!" messages after combat. Apparently the game was patched to add in friendship quests, but the mod I've been using accidentally blocked them from triggering? Whoops.

Brother Gui? Are you available?
Of course I'm free, what is it?
About what happened before... ugh, I feel ashamed just thinking about it.
(Oh dear, I think Brother Zhang is experiencing some kind of psychological trauma...)

If it hadn't been for Brother Gui and Shuangjun, I think I would've been backstabbed. The more beautiful a woman is, the more deceitful she is... you can only see people's faces and never their hearts, how true!
(I can't help but fear that Brother Zhang is going down a certain path of no return...)
But this makes me even more sure Siwang and Shuangjun are the most trustworthy friends!
No matter what happens to Siwang, I will definitely help you, that is what good friends should do!

Gui Siwang, are you free?
Sure, what's up?
I... thank you.
Huh???

Without you... I would not have been able to convince Uncle Chi, and he would have died for nothing.
It was your decision, I didn't do anything.
I have already harmed too many people. Now, I am glad to have the opportunity to make my own decisions... the right decisions.

You...
I will repay you, in the time I have left.

Enough sappy talk, alright? It's embarrassing me. Let's go find some Wolf Barbarians to beat up.

Well, what's going on here?

General Shen, I respect you as a man of ability. As long as you hand over what I'm looking for, I can spare your life.
If you are willing to serve me, I will tell the Great Khan to forgive you and even bestow on you a high rank. With your talents, I am sure you will be appreciated by the Great Khan, and not remain as the lowly, disrespected official you are now.
However, if you do not see the way and resist, I will be forced to show no mercy. I hope your heart tells you the right thing to do.
I had heard that General Murong was good at winning the hearts of the people, and today I have seen that it is true.

Ah, but talent is the foundation of the country. The world is a cold place, what a shame it would be for our country's leader to waste it indiscriminately by killing officals such as yourself.
Even so, I don't wish to be a cowardly traitor afraid of death. Please kill me.

What a pity it is, that all these Chinese warriors are so foolishly loyal!

They are a stubborn and ignorant people, General, there is no need to bother yourself with the likes of them.
Abbot Shazar? Since when did the monks of the Green Sea Black Sect become the stooges of the Wolf Barbarians?
Master, do you recognize this person?
No, this is the first time I've seen him.
Ah well...

So be it. Let's call it a day, kill him and get out of here before reinforcements arrive.
(Why are the Wolf Barbarians back? And this time there are even more of them, even the troops stationed here have been wiped out...)

(I don't recognize that guy in the middle, he looks like a Wolf Barbarian nobleman or something. But that guy on the right must be Shazar, did the nobleman just call him Master?)
(They seem to want General Shen to surrender and hand something over... they must be looking for that treasure map or suicide note again.)

(It seems General Shen would rather die than obey... things are getting pretty bad!)
Amitabha Buddha, it is your good fortune to die by this one's blood blade, as it will be your last life.

Stop!
Gui Siwang!
You!
Hey old man, long time no see. Does it still hurt where I hit you last time?

How dare you forget that you attacked me while I was meditating!
Oh dear, it seems that this old man is so thick-skinned that he won't admit defeat.
But as I'm in a good mood today, I'll consider letting you off the hook if you let me take General Shen away.

Arrogant young man! You are destined to be a feast for the vultures today!

Old man, have you forgotten to get a replacement for your Blood Blade? Hey, He Yuqing, show him his Blood Blade?
He Yuqing?
She went back to Dayan Town. Said she had accounts to do taxes on.
Dude! When did you get here?
Man, I was bored out of my mind in Gongshi Village. Came looking for some action, it seems I've found it.
Oh yeah, let's beat this weirdo monk up!

Hilariously, as Shazar has no blade equipped and no fist techniques, he cannot do anything but stare helplessly at his assailants. It would have been funnier to use He Yuqing to hit him with his own weapon, but I switched her out for Luo Yuanyu as I wanted to finish up his quest.

Are you alright?
I'm fine now, thank you for saving me, young master.
Man, that old monk was really hard to deal with, plus the endless stream of Wolf Barbarian soldiers. It wasn't an easy fight.
By the way, who was that gentleman just now? The Wolf Barbarians have sacked Wanglong Village, what were they looking for?

That was Murong Longcheng, a general of the Xianbei tribe of the Wolf Barbarian Kingdom. He has the favour of the current Wolf Barbarian Khan, and he is looking for the last will and testament of the legendary general Wumu.
Wumu? You mean Yue Fei? Is there something particularly impressive about it, was his handwriting particularly beautiful?
Yue Wumu's life was spent in the use of war. His divine army defeated uncountable enemies, and his writings record his methods of defending, training, and battlefield preparation. Both righteous and sly methods of attack and defence...
No doubt Murong Longcheng wants to get his hands on these writings to learn the essence of the art of war. The Wolf Barbarian army is both fierce and courageous, if supplemented by Yue Wumu's lifelong research on the use of the military, I am afraid that their cavalry will be invincible!
That sounds like a pretty big deal...

His writings have been lost since the death of Yue Wumu, and no one knows exactly where it might be. But recently, rumors have mentioned that Wumu's testament is actually still in Central Shu, and the detailed location was written down in a treasure map.
(I see, no wonder the villagers of Wanglong Village said the Wolf Barbarians were looking for a suicide note, and Xu Yei said they were looking for a treasure map...)

General Shen then convulses in a sort of "looking for his wallet" animation.

Huh? Did you drop something?

Nothing.... it's nothing important.

Thank you for saving me. I will never forget your great kindness. However, I must report this to my superiors as soon as possible, please forgive me for leaving.
Oh sure, go ahead.
My thanks, young master.

(Hmmm... the last writings of Yue Wumu. Where could they be hidden?)
(I can't help but feel that General Shen was hiding something from me...)

Well, if he dropped something, clearly we should go back and look for it.
He... couldn't have been carrying the treasure map on him all along, could he?
Hahaha! Brother Siwang, your imagination is as creative as ever.
Dude, I've been following Siwang long enough to say that it might just be possible.
Too bad there's no map here, just an antique dagger.
It must have been General Shen's family heirloom or something.

(Was it dropped here? Before General Shen left, he seemed to be looking for something, was it this dagger? He must have dropped it here in the confusion while I was dealing with that old baldy Shazar.)

Fish Gut Sword: "According to legend, it was made for the King of Yue by the swordsmith Ouyezi, and was later presented to the King of Wu by the King of Yue, who ordered that it should be used by General Gongzi. The sword was later hidden in the belly of a fish and used to assassinate the King of Wu. After Gongzi became King Helu of Wu, he sealed the sword and never used it again. This one looks like a fake replica, but it is very well made. Still, it;'s weight is strange, is there something wrong with it?"

Good job, everyone. Well, those Wolf Barbarians turned out to be no challenge at all, let's go bandit hunting instead.
There's always a bunch of 'em at night to the east of Karma Monastery.
Wonderful. Let's have some dinner while we're at it.
Ugh, vegetarian food?
It's good for both the soul and the body!
We can cook our own food if we want. Wang Zhe, what do you like?
Um... fish?

Oh! It's boiled fish! Every time on the eve of an expedition, my elder brother would treat the men to a good meal, and boiled fish was one of the best!

Here, try this Tibetian tsampa the monks here make.

This... I'm not used to eating this... it's still Han Chinese cuisine that I find more palatable.

Brother Siwang, you cannot seriously be contemplating destroying General Shen's family heirloom.
It's clearly a fake!
Even if it's a fake, if it's been passed down through the generations, it's still a heirloom.
He dropped it, it's ours now.
We really should return it to him...
Look, I've got a feeling about this, okay? Just trust me!
Are we are actually going to do this?

Well well, what's this, hidden in this fish gut sword?
A tattered piece of leather... there appears to be a map drawn on it. The location is... to the northwest?

There's nothing up here but grass and goats.

Baa!

Keep going! There must be something up here!
I still cannot believe there really was a map hidden inside that sword.
We were wrong and he was right. Siwang can be surprising like that.
Indeed.

(Hmm.. the map found in the Fish Gut sword indicates that the location is right here, but as far as the eye can see there is only this hut and this old monk. Is there really a secret hiding here?)
(Guess I'll have to ask the monk.)

Excuse me, Master, may I ask a question?
Please speak freely.
Do you know if there is anything special around here? Like, what's the weirdest cave? Or what kind of treasure is being hidden around here?
Amnitabha Buddha, I have been living here for decades, but I have never heard of any strange places around here. Why do you ask this question?
Well, I found this strange map...

Amitabha, perhaps this is just a prank by someone with a mischevious heart? Or a map drawn by a hunter or woodsman, to show that he may find me for shelter?
Ugh... maybe...

This monk can't tell us anything, let's go ask other people.

Have sex, have sex.

Well, that wasn't very helpful.

I am fairly sure this is a mistranslation and the poor woodcutter here is just saying "操" which is a sort of chopping motion (but also slang for having sex). Thank you, DeepL.

This other woodcutter here is a lot more helpful and directs us to Little Ali, who claims something strange happened to her once.

Too bad Little Ali has lost her goat!

(Why is this little girl crying?)
Boohoohoo! Little Bai...

Bai just means "white", so you'll see it translated directly as well later.

Little Bai? You mean Little Ali's pet goat?
I was wondering why I hadn't seen it today.
That goat is really stubborn, if you want it to go east it will go west, if you want it to go south it will go north. I have no idea how Little Ali is able to get it to follow her all day.

It must have been that goat we saw just now.
Are we really helping little children find their pets now?
Come, Brother Wang, it is the righteous thing to do.
Who knows, if we're lucky we might save it from a tiger or two, eh?
Shut up or you'll jinx us!

Baa.
Are you little Bai? Come, I'll take you back to Little Ali.

But the mountain seems full of beasts, so I have to be careful not to let the goat become supper!

Little Bai doesn't have much AP to run and has an "Eat Grass" ability which I think will heal it for a little bit.

Unsurprisingly, three tigers spawn on Round 3 and attack Little Bai.

Hey, what's with all the tigers?

Three more appear on Round 5.

Again?

Three more on Round 7.

Since when did tigers become herd animals?

And an actual Beast King with two retainers on Round 9.

Stop it! There are so many tigers, would you be able to get even a single bite of meat?

Still, it's a cakewalk for Siwang's party, and Little Bai is reunited with Little Ali.

Bai! I missed you so much!
Ahem! Excuse me, are you Little Ali?
Huh? I am, big brother. Who are you? What can I do for you?
I just want to ask you a question. You know on top of the mountain, there lives an old monk next to a lake?

I... I know, big brother... do you want to go to the lake? It's scary there...
Scary? What's so terrible about it?
There are water ghosts in the lake...

Water ghosts?
Yeah, in the middle of the night, the water demons... it's scary, so many people have been taken away!
Is there maybe a crocodile or something in the lake?
No no no... it's not a crocodile, it's a water demon... big brother, you'd better stay away from the lake.

Well, I have to say I'm not really looking forward to getting grabbed by water demons.

Why don't we go back to Qingcheng Mountain and have a cup of tea together? I'm sure Shuangjun and Master Ling would love to meet Brother Gui again!
Yeah, I'm sure Shuangjun would like to see you again too.

I... want to see Uncle Chi again too.
I wonder if he'll be annoyed that I haven't gone back to see him for so long.
Sure, let's go!

But first we need to jump into this lake together.

sandorius fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 26, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Hopefully the lake doesn't short out our Nokia flip phoneweapon of great power and portents

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Slaan posted:

Hopefully the lake doesn't short out our Nokia flip phoneweapon of great power and portents

Are you doubting the power of the great Nokia :colbert:

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 48: Yue Wumu's Last Testament

If there's something strange! In your neighbourhood♪
What?
I ain't afraid of no ghost ♫
What?
No, don't stop him, I like this song.
What?

This whirlpool... is this the truth of the Water Ghost? When that little girl said that many people had been taken by water demons, did she mean that they had been swept away by the whirlpool? But the whirlpool forms only in the middleo of the night, why would anyone swim in the lake in the middle of the night?
What a strong current!

Aaaaah!
Whoo! It's a good thing I'm still good at holding my breath, otherwise, I would have drowned by now.

Well. I didn't expect there to be a cave under the whirlpool... the objective of the treasure map must be hidden here, what kind of treasure could it be?

There are several side caves branching off from the underground river. Naturally Siwang explores every one.

Hey! There's a strange statue here!
I don't know why, but looking at this old and worn-out statue makes me feel like I'm at peace...

This is one of the six statues corresponding to each talent tree - specifically the Calm talent tree. We've already seen Duan Siping trigger the Simple statue in Update 31, but this one is apparently triggered not by an NPC companion but by Siwang himself! Too bad he's heavily invested in Quick/Clever/Rigid. I'll have to respec and come back again someday.

There's a basalt ore here hidden behind some angry crocodiles.

Roar!!!
Wow! What an ugly crocodile!

Eventually Siwang stumbles upon some kind of weird monument holding some bamboo strips in its jaws.

This must be it.
Why is it sitting on a ball?
If I were a famous general, I too would spend my last days carving a monument to my balls.
Makes sense.
Men!

Hoo boy, finally found the secret hidden in the map.
What could it be that I have been working so hard to find for so long?

That is Wumu's last testament.

It's you! You're the General of the Wolf Barbarians, right? Is this what you've been raiding the nearby villages for?

This man!
This man is the leader of the Wolf Barbarians? How many innocent people have died at their hands? Unforgiveable!

Anyway, Murong Longcheng spends a bit of time gloating at his cleverness in following Siwang and kindly explains the significance of Wumu's last testament in case the player has put off this side quest too long and forgotten everything.

We can't let this guy get away with this! If the Wolf Barbarians get their hands on the Book of Wu Mu, the consequences would be unthinkable!

Unfortunately, Murong Longcheng has clearly passed Villainy 101, because he delegates some minions to take care of Siwang and strolls off with book in hand.

Alright, hurry up, take care of this kid and let's get out of here. This cave is eerie, we shouldn't stay here too long.

This throws Siwang and company into combat with Shazar's five disciples (who all apparently survived their first encounter with Siwang) as well as some archer support. It's pretty much a joke to Siwang, as the archers provide enough AP via Strong Wind Sweeps the Leaves (AP on kill) for him to take out four of the disciples on his first turn. All hail the Nokia 3310.

drat it, Wumu's testament is gone! After them!

Thankfully Murong Longcheng and Shazar are just down the tunnel, having been stopped by the nameless old monk living at the edge of the lake.

Amitabha Buddha. I ask you to leave this here, Wumu's last will and testament.
Old monk, how long have you been hiding this here?
Amitabha Buddha. I don't quite remember, not yet forty years, but more than thirty, I believe.
Are you joking?

Amitabha. I see that this master is a high priest of the Green Sea Black Sect, and a respected teacher of the Wolf Kingdom. He is already in a very high position, why does he want the last will and testament of Yue Wumu?
What about you, old man? Do you want to seize Wumu's legacy too?
Amitabha. An old friend asked me to take care of this will here so that it would not be taken away by someone interested in stoking the fires of war and bringing untold misfortune to the people of this world.
Oh? And who might this patron be? I've predicted for years that Wumu's testament would fall into my hands, so he must be a person of great foresight.
Amitabha Buddha. What about patron over there?

Me? I just found a treasure map and couldn't resist exploring the cave.
Amitabha Buddha. The priest and general are too hostile, if they get their hands on this testament, the evil thoughts in their hearts will bring only suffering to the people.
Uh... yeah?

Cut the crap, today the two of you will be buried in this underwater cave!

Despite his gentle demeanor the old monk is a terror in a fight and starts off as hostile to Siwang, possibly to demonstrate the indiscrimate destruction of the Buddhist Lion Roar.

He's got a broom!
Oh no!
Oh no? It's just a broom?
It means he doesn't need a legendary weapon to kick your rear end.
Oh no!

Poor Shazar still hasn't found a replacement weapon and has been reduced to basically a target dummy. He would normally be a terror in this fight, the combination of "chance to insta-kill". "AP refund on kill" and "moves get more powerful for each move performed" (Serial Killer) means that he can potentially mow down the entire party in one round.

Murong Longcheng has the very annoying "damage reflect" talent (Four Taels of Gold) but is otherwise unremarkable. He has some fancy clothing though.

No, the real terror of this fight is the nameless old monk. The Buddhist Lion Roar is a point-blank AOE that shaved off half to a quarter of the HP of everyone in range. Without Ning'er in the party, Siwang actually has to change tactics and switch to healing, and the party eventually batters the nameless old monk down.

Well, those two guys ran away pretty fast... hmm, did they drop something? It says... Wumu's testament...
Amitabha Buddha. Young warrior, you are very skilled and chivalrous, so I hope you will use this will for the right cause, otherwise the lives of the people will be ruined. How unthinkable.
Oh, I'll think about it all right.
Amitabha Buddha.

This fight rewards Siwang not just with Wumu's last testament, but also the secret teachings of the Yue Family Spear Arts and Yue Family Fist Techniques, which will allow one person (and one person only! who made these things into consumables?) to master their respective sutras.

Ah, the last will and testament of Yue Wumu...
Well, most of this stuff I don't quite get...
Oh hey, a section on Yue Wumu's lifelong martial arts principles! This might help...

Reading Yue Wumu's last will and testament gives Siwang a +5 boost to all six different martial arts skills.

Coincidentally, this boosts both Sword and Short Weapons past 100, which allows Siwang to claim a blue-rarity weapon and an exclusive outfit.

Little White Dragon: "Raise the storm, set off huge waves, the game of Jianghu, is just like that."

What the...? How did that clothing appear all of a sudden?
Truly Yue Wumu was a general beyond mortal ken.
It's kind of ugly though. Is that some kind of fabric dragon trying to eat Siwang's left arm?
I think it's meant to shield my arm as I stab people.
He might have been a great general, but I bet his soldiers' costumes were all as ugly as sin. Please take that off, Siwang.
Sure, I've got another one.

Ronin Swordsman: "I felt my gloom lift as I drank wine and saw flowers falling on my clothes. Drunk, I watched the moon and the birds fly away."

It's... uhhh... very nice. Kinda reminds me of that fisherman outfit you used to wear.
Yes, it does, doesn't it?
I guess the hat will come in handy when it rains?
We are approximately one hundred feet underground. It's not going to rain here.
Well, then, let's get out of here.
An excellent idea, Brother Siwang.

Following the river gets Siwang to the mouth of a cave, where the rocks blocking the entrance have mysteriously disappeared.

Well, I for one could do with a break.
And a place to dry our feet.
Hmmm... the villages around here have all been razed by the Wolf Barbarians, though. Looks like the closest point of civilization is Qingcheng Monastery.
Ah! We can visit Shuangjun while we're there! I do worry about him sometimes, he's such a delicate flower...

Huh? Isn't that Shuangjun? What's going on?
Hmmm... it seems like your sworn brother hasn't shown up at Qingcheng lately, is he too ashamed to show his face?
What? What do you mean? Dare you say it clearly?

Everyone knows that the demon girl your sworn brother brought here was following the demonic Dao of the Chi Dan Palace.
You know what I think? I think your sworn brother was seduced by that witch, and leaked our Qingcheng Sect secrets to her! That's why so many of our brothers were caught by the Chi Dan Palace!

Don't you dare talk nonsense! Junbao was just... was just...
Haha, look, you can't even deny it!

You call him Baobao so affectionately, are you a friend to traitors? He might pretend to be righteous, but in reality, he and that witch are both of the same kind!

Shut up!
Junbao is not a traitor and I am not a friend to traitors! Although it seems that I have less friends than I thought!

Oh crap, a fight!
Stop! Shuangjun, don't do it!
Oh? Here comes the traitor himself!
Show him that Qingcheng Monastery is not to be trifled with!

Break the traitor's legs! Avenge our brothers!

Shuangjun!

What are you all doing?
Oh no, the Sect Elder!

Is our Qingcheng Monastery the kind of sect to brawl with outsiders? What a disgrace!
Rinren!
Yessir!
Take them all down to the training yard and put them into the horse stance!
Yessir!

The horse stance, for those of you not familar with it, is basically a half squat, which looks a bit like you're riding a horse. Pretty terrible to hold for more than a minute or two.

Sorry to bring you trouble, Shuangjun.
Junbao, what are you saying? It's their own fault for gossiping and slandering you.
Still, our Qingcheng Monastery's mission has ever been to protect and serve the commonfolk.

After all, I am indeed to blame for these mistakes. It is only natural for them to badmouth me.

(Indeed, it seems that the matter of the Chi Dan Palace has scarred Zhang Junbao deeply.)
Baobao, don't think like that! The demonic Chi Dan Palace has long opposed Qingcheng Monastery, we stand in the light while they scurry in the darkness, naturally it is difficult to fight them.
Those demons must have already setup a net below Qingcheng Mountain to catch our brothers. In fact, if not for you and Brother Gui, we would never have seen the light of day again.
So don't pay too much attention to the sour words of those people, Baobao.
Shuangjun... thank you.

Let's not talk about these unhappy things. It's rare for Brother Bao and Brother Gui to visit our mountain, let's have some tea! Recently, I bought a new tea in the village, let's have a taste...

Ahh... what a nice break. Now what, should we go take on Qingtian Fortress? Or maybe finally talk to the chivalrous thief Li Tan?
(glare)
Or maybe some light tiger wrestling...
(glare intensifies)
Dude... wake up man...
Oh! Or we could go visit Uncle Chi at Fuxian Academy, I guess.
Oh! What a nice idea. I thought you might have forgotten your promise.
Oh come on babe, I was just teasing you.
(crosses arms and pouts)

Uncle Chi is apparently a late riser so Siwang has to rest a few hours for him to appear. Zhang Junbao takes the opportunity to let him know that the next stage of his quest has opened up.

Luo Yuanyu chimes in too to let Siwang know he wants to visit home again. It's good that these friendship quests appear to trigger quickly without too much grinding.

Uncle Chi, I'm here to visit!

Huh. Little brat, at least you still remember this old man.

Y-head describes the stereotypical little girl hairstyle in past China, two braids at the back merged into one like a Y.

Kid, I heard from Yushu that you know a strange set of self-invented boxing techniques?
Yep. My famous Wildball Fist.
Haha! I've never heard of it, and you dare to call it famous?

I would like to see it. Let's spar, kid.
Um...

By the Heavens, girl, don't show me that look. Naturally this old man will return him intact.
But...!
Ignore the brat, boy, come at me!

I have not been idle at Fuxian Academy these many years. Witness, the finger technique I have created.
I will use my Drunken Brush to meet your Wildball Fist.
To use your fingers as a brush, unpredictable and unrestrained. I'd like to see if you can break it!

Well, boy? Give it your best shot.
Well then, please excuse me!

Uncle Chi swirls and twirls at Siwang, who briefly trades blows with him before deciding this is a fool's errand and chucks a Nokia 3310 at his noggin.

Good! Kid, your kungfu is pretty good!
Thank you, Senior.
(His stance alone is enough to strike fear into people's hearts. I haven't the faintest idea what it would be like for Dongfang Chi to come at me with all his strength...)

But this Wildball Fist is indeed interesting, the lineage of teaching is unclear. How on earth did you learn such an interesting boxing style?
Hmmm? Oh, I came up with it myself.

As noted way back in the beginning of this LP, the Wildball Fist is basically Rock-Paper-Scissors. Punching people with a giant fist of Qi, slapping people with a giant palm of Qi, and some kind of weird scissors kick.

If you concentrate on your kungfu every day, you might become the best in the world before the age of 30. No one will be able to beat you.
But the burden that comes with being the best in the world is not something an ordinary person can carry.
(Good thing I don't care to be number one, I just want to go home.)
I still see some flaws in your movement, so I'll give you a few pointers.

Yan Yushu seems to have something on her mind, perhaps she will be willing to reveal it later?

(Judging by her depressed look, something is definitely wrong!)

Excuse me, Brother Siwang.
Yes?
I can't help but have a bad feeling about this. Could we go back to Qingcheng Monastery and check on Shuangjun?
Sure, the horseman doesn't even charge us for the ride there.
A true patriot, no doubt!
Naw, I think he's just bored and likes riding.
You alright with that, Yushu?
Hmm? Oh well.
(Something's definitely wrong! I'll have to ask Uncle Chi later.)

Oh? I can't believe Shuangjun isn't here.
Let's ask the other Qingcheng Monastery disciples.

Shuangjun? Oh, the other day he fought with some other disciples and were heavily punished by the headmaster.
There have been rumours of mountain bandits near the village to the south, so the headmaster sent them all to hunt the bandits down.

Brother Gui...
Don't look at me like that, I feel responsible too. Let's go help out.

Look! It's Shuangjun!

drat it! How dare you backstab us!

Wow! What's going on?
Why are there still people from the Chi Dan Palace?

Good, good! I only wanted to catch some small fry of the Qingcheng Monastery, but to think that even Zhang Junbao would be here!
How dare you attack the Chi Dan Palace while we were away! We will never let you go, you evil thief!

Despite their exaggerated threats, the Chi Dan Palace members fall quickly and easily.

drat... we.... Chi Dan Palace will never give up! Even if I die, there are thousands of us, you will never lead a peaceful life!
(To think that there would be remnants of the Chi Dan Palace out for revenge...)

Brother Bao, are you alright? Those demons are covered in poison, did you get hit by them?
I'm fine, I'm fine, don't worry! I've seen their moves before, how could I get fooled again?
How is everyone else?

Brother Zhang.... sorry about earlier.
Eh?

Now that we've fallen to their tricks, we see now that the demonic path of the Chi Dan Palace is insidious and cunning, not something ordinary people can deal with. We are of Qingcheng Monastery, but have failed to serve and protect the commonfolk.
If not for Brother Zhang's help, we would died fruitlessly in the middle of nowhere.

No, no, no. My fellow disciples are right to rebuke me, I was too naive and believed in the words of a villainess, deceived by her charm. If it were not for the help of Ling Shuangjun and Brother Gui, I fear I would have died in the Chi Dan Palace.
Compared to you, I was even more ignorant and foolish.
Still, I am glad that this time everyone is able to return safely.

And with a fade to black, Zhang Junbao's friendship quest has been resolved. It's time to go back to Uncle Chi.

Huh? How come you're back again?
I just came back to see how Senior was doing, hey?
Mmph.

Come here, kid.
What did you do?
Huh? What do you mean?
Just look at her face, kid. Did you say something dumb again?

No, not at all! She's been looking like this for the past few days, so I wanted to bring her here to meet Senior.
Hah, what a useless kid, don't you even know how to make a girl happy?
Well...

Get your girlfriend back or I'll fix you myself!
Yessir!

(Ugh, what should I do?)
(Oh yeah, I never got to take her to Dayan Town the last time! This is a chance!)

Last time we tried to come here to Dayan Town, we got intercepted by pirates, but now we're finally here!
This... is Dayan Town?
Wow, there are so many people.

(She looks a little scared of the crowd... take her hand!)
There are so many people around, we should hold hands.
...mmm.

This man... can he really sell vegetables by sleeping like this?
It's better not to disturb him.

I tried to wake him up once, he accused me of trying to steal his vegetables and the whole market square attacked me.
Oh my. Surely you didn't attack them, though?
I was badly injured.
Oh! But these are ordinary civilians...
Remember Inky, Ning'er's pet tiger? She tried to eat them and I had to stop her.
Poor Inky...
The vegetable seller gave me some broccoli later in apology. I fed it all to Inky.
Poor Inky...

Ah, young warrior, wandering the Jianghu everyday, you must be hungry... huh? Young warrior, you actually brought such a beautiful lady today?
I... I'm not... lady?
Aww, how sweet. Here, take a few plums, they're just as sweet as you.
... thank you...
(Heh. Don't often get to see her blushing like that.)

Come on, come on! Biscuits as big as a wok!
Those aren't the size of a wok.
Erm...
A small plate at best.
Sorry for being rude!

Candied hawthorn?
Candied hawthorn!
Want some?
No... I...

Honorable sir, why count your coins at a time like this? Buy your girl a stick of candied hawthorn now!
...thank you.
(Look at the way she's eating it, it's like she's a child again.)

Lady, take a look! The freshest river food today!
Wow, so many fish!
Want to buy one?

Do you still want to eat my sweet and sour fish?

(Why are you asking me this all of a sudden!)

Imagine a large sweatdrop rolling down Siwang's face, anime-style. In Update 36 he described Yan Yushu's sweet and sour fish as being more accurately sour and fishy sugar. Please vote:

A) Yes, of course I do.
B) Well, I'll cook it for you this time.
C) Don't you want to make something else?

sandorius fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 26, 2023

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Well... Maybe they practiced since last time? :shrug:
A

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

A. Take one for the team buddy.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A Don't disappoint the lady.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Finally caught up on this after forever. This game rules. :allears:

Of course, take one for the team.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 49: Return to Qingtian Fortress

Guided by mysterious voices from the void, Siwang recklessly chooses to accept Yan Yushu's offer to cook for him again.

Yes, of course I do.
That's what you said, don't try to escape.

(So she knows that her cooking makes people flee!)

Having had enough of shopping, the couple take a short stroll to the north.

Stop right there!
Finally found you!

You are Gui Siwang, correct?
We've heard of your exploits for a while now!

Today the Four Greats of Sichuan are here to challenge you!
The Four Greats of Sichuan? I've never heard of you.
What? Ignorance!
Why not just introduce yourselves properly?
Very well! We are...

East Spear!

For weird historical reasons "spear" and "gun" share the same character, "枪"

South Sword!

West Darkness!

North. Fist. King!

Hey! Why do you get to call yourself North Fist King? We never agreed to this!
Yeah, it's not fair!
Shut up! I'm the best, so naturally I'm the king!

So what the hell do you guys want?
We've heard of your despicable deeds, so we're here to battle you!
You think I'm afraid of you? Go ahead and try!

The Four Greats of Sichuan were beaten to death.

Hmm. I had never heard of these Four Greats of Sichuan, but they were quite powerful.
What's wrong?

Your martial arts skills have improved again.
Is that so?
Still...
I'm worried...

The more powerful you are, the more likely you are to get into trouble.
Even Uncle Chi, as powerful as he is, had to spend half his life hiding out in the academy.
I don't want you to become like Uncle Chi.
Hey, that won't happen.
Why not?

I don't care how much trouble I get into, I just have to be good enough that I won't lose, no matter how much trouble I get into.
You... that doesn't make any sense!
What? You don't think I can do it?

No... maybe you can really do it.

All I ask... is to live to see the day when you become invincible.

This completes Yan Yushu's personal quest (or at least this version, I suspect it would be totally different had we chosen otherwise at the pavilion). It also gives her a new title "Netherworld" which upgrades her +50% attack boost to also offer 10% damage reduction. Zhang Junbao's new title only gives him a personal 10% damage reduction, so it's pretty good.

Completing this quest also boosts Siwang to level 50, which gives him a new costume.

It's a boring farmer's outfit. Maybe the game is telling Siwang to retire?

Brother Gui, Sister Yan, are you alright?
We saw those ruffians accost you, but we were too far away to help!
Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks.
I suppose you have to expect things like this when you're a top martial artist.
Can't I get a single date without being attacked by pirates or upstarts? drat, now my fists are itchy and I want to beat some more people up.
Well, if Brother Siwang doesn't mind, there is still the matter of Zhang Yinfei and Qingtian Fortress...
Oh? Have you mastered the Yue Family Spear and Fist sutras I gave you?
I think so, yes.
Yushu, do you mind...?
No, dear. I want you to become stronger.

At Qingtian Fortress, the two gate guards are shocked to see Wang Zhe.

Apparently Zhang Yinfei told everyone that Wang Zhe died in an attempt to usurp Qingtian Fortress, and also killed Li Yanxian in the process. The gate guards didn't really believe him, but had no choice but to wait quietly for Wang Zhe to return.

Well, I'll go in and take the life of that dog, and avenge Brother Li and all of our brothers!

The gate guards welcome him in, but warn him that the inner fortress is full of men loyal to Zhang Yinfei.

Siwang and Wang Zhe change into Qingtian clothing and scout out the place first, stumbling upon a pair of layabouts trying to decipher a martial arts sutra they have stolen from Zhang Yinfei. Naturally, Siwang beats them up and takes the sutra.

Hmmm... the Xuantian Martial Arts?
From what I overheard just now, this must be the secret art of Zhang Yinfei! Tch, these people even dare to steal their own master's secret book!.

The Xuantian Martial Arts are a rare Short Weapon sutra which lower the stunt value of hit enemies.

Brother Gui, Zhang Yinfei and his gang must be in the inner hall, are you ready?
Sure!
Haha! Yes! Let's go in and kill them all!

Inside the inner hall, Zhang Yinfei has dug up the treasure chest Li Yanxian spoke of, but has been unable to open it thus far.

Zhang Yinfei!!
Someone has broken in!
It's the traitor!

Wang Zhe, you betrayed Qingtian Fortress and killed the former chief Li Yanxian. Are you now here to beg for forgiveness?
Scum! We took you in and never treated you badly, and this is how you treat us?
I'm here today to carry my elder brother's last wishes to get rid of you and reclaim Qingtian Fortress!

Zhang Yinfei, I won't be able to face my elder brother, and all the brothers who died by your hand, if I don't take your life today!
What nonsensical babbling... whoever kills this fraticidal traitor will be rewarded well!

Hahaha! David Wong, let's kill him!

No, I don't know who David Wong is. It's probably just another mistranslation.

Combat ensues. Siwang needs to keep Wang Zhe alive and kill Zhang Yinfei, once he goes down, the other Qingtian troops will fold.

Please ignore the presence of He Yuqing, I recorded this bit, like, 3 updates ago.

poo poo, poo poo, these people are not to be messed with!
I still have a long life to live, I won't be buried here with you!

drat... a bunch of shameless thugs, if they can't win, they all run away...

What did you expect? They care only for money and not morality.
Had you not killed all the loyal brothers in Qingtian Fortress, perhaps some would have stayed to defend you.

Hah! You and Li Yanxian babble about morality and righteousness, but what did it net you in the end?
Qingtian Fortress is full of men with martial arts skills, you should have made a name for yourselves long ago! But you fools only know how to fight with the Wolf Barbarians.
With the support of the Leopard King, Qingtian will have a glorious future under my leadership!
Wang Zhe, I think you are a reasonable man. Join me! Think of the power!

Zhang Yinfei! Your eyes must be blind not to recognize what is truly valuable. To turn your back on your brothers who care for you with all their heart, and instead collude with profit-minded scoundrels.
The Leopard King and NoMercy House only covet treasure, when the day comes that you are no longer of use, they will get rid of your without a second thought.

Hahaha, you dare speak badly of me? Are you courting death?
Who?

Brother Zhang, I'm here to help you.
Feng Guanyu!

How dare you know me, you little brat! It seems that the name of the Leopard King has spread all over the land, haha!

I thought that the bandit lord Siwang killed back in Update 16: The Leopard King's Stronghold was the Leopard King, but it seems I was wrong and he was only a mid-boss working for Feng Guanyu or something like that.

Hey! The outlander is here too! I've heard so much about you!
You've caused us a lot of trouble since you came to Central Shu. Allow me to vent my anger on behalf of Sister Lan!

Wang Zhe. We have no grudge between us, so let's talk business. Allow me to take Brother Zhang, the treasure chest, and the outlander with me today.
And if you cooperate and open the treasure chest, a great future awaits you, with boundless power and wealth!

Save your shameless words! I'd rather fight to the death than cooperate with you bandits!

The actual Leopard King has got the same techniques as the mid-boss Siwang defeated in the Leopard King Stronghold, and is a reasonably difficult opponent. It's too bad that he chose to bring his subordinates to the fight, because they just fuel Siwang's unstoppable rampage due to Strong Wind Sweeps the Leaves (AP refund on kill).

Hahaha! I didn't think you could fight this well. Good, good!
Alright then! Keep the chest, I'll think of it as a temporary loan and get it back from you some other time.
Let's go, Brother Zhang!
drat it... it wasn't easy to seize control of Qingtian Fortress... I can't let it go like this!
It's not up to you, Brother. If you really kill these guys, I'll be in trouble too! Let's go!

Brother Gui, your help in reclaiming the fortress has been invaluable.
Moreover, when I was seriously wounded, you helped me escape without thought of your own safety. I owe you my life.
There's no need to be so polite. If I don't find all the pieces of the Book of Heaven, I won't be able to go home, y'know?

Opening the treasure chest with the tiger talismans left to Wang Zhe by Li Yanxian rewards Siwang with a fragment of the Book of Heaven, Spring Silkworms.

Wang Zhe also informs Siwang that Huang Shang, the previous holder of the Book of Heaven, is hiding from the NoMercy House in Qingcheng Monastery.

Impossible! I've been through every last building in Qingcheng Monastery!
Indeed, how could I have been unaware of such an illustrious commander in my very own sect?
Alas, this is merely what my elder brother had mentioned. I have never been to Qingcheng Monastery myself.
Ugh, there must be a secret door or something. I thought Ling Zhongyue was a straightfoward and honest man...
One does not rise to a position like his without a certain amount of cunning.
I guess. Well, it looks like we're off to Qingcheng Monastery!

Incidentally, as Wang Zhe is a righteous person, he will refuse to join the party if Siwang is even slightly evil.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Are you with me David Wong
Are you really just a shadow
Translated not so strong
Are you ready, are you free
To fight this ordinary Gui
Is it here that you belong
Are you with me David

admittedly "translated" is a bit tortured on the syllables but eh

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
David Wong is the retired pen name of former Cracked editor and current novelist/podcast guest/TikToker Jason Pargin. It's also the name of one of the characters in (at least) his first book, John Dies at the End. I have no idea why he'd be getting referenced in this game, maybe it's just a weird coincidence.

Also the Leopard King should be called the Snake King, because boy does that portrait resemble Peace Walker-era Big Boss. Actually, fighting a dude earlier that you thought was the Leopard King could be construed as a reference to the original two Metal Gears.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Well, it got me wondering as well, so I looked up the scene in an untranslated LP on Youtube. Sadly, it's just Zhang Yinfei screaming "Wang Zhe, prepare to die!" or something like that. DeepL must have mistaken Wang Zhe's "王喆" for an actual contemporary person.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to see what the game looks and sounds like in motion, please visit the link below. There's a whole playlist of pretty much the entire game. Skip to 53:00 if you want to see the fight against Zhang Yinfei, and also a Duan Siping inexplicably built to backstab people with the Demonic Monkey Claw(??) technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m40DndMQfEE

Also, this made me realize that the game has an stat check or something just before the fight, because this LP'er fought Zhang Yinfei inside the building while Gui Siwang had the smarts to take the fight outside.

Kantesu posted:

Big Boss

Yeah, I pretty much screamed "Snake? Snaaaake!!" when I saw that portrait.

edit: this is also why Zhang Yinfei gets called Brother War in one of the screenshots, the Zhang "战" got translated literally (and also "战" should be transliterated as Zhan and not Zhang, but eh, close enough).

sandorius fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 21, 2023

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kantesu posted:

David Wong is the retired pen name of former Cracked editor and current novelist/podcast guest/TikToker Jason Pargin. It's also the name of one of the characters in (at least) his first book, John Dies at the End. I have no idea why he'd be getting referenced in this game, maybe it's just a weird coincidence.

The protagonist (who is supposedly writing the books, hence the pen name) of the series which is at four books at counting. Though he's also got a second series going these days. It's not impossible that someone making this game was a fan...but it does seem improbable.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 50: Commander Huang Shuang

What business do you have with me, young master?
Master Ling. The elder of Qingtian Fortress, Li Yanxian, told me to seek out Qingcheng Monastery with his dying words.

Dying words? You mean... Brother Li...
Yes, unfortunately, Master Li was murdered by a traitor.
I see. I was acquainted with him in the past, and had even shared a few drinks together from time to time. To think that he...
Erm... well, let me get straight to the point. I'm here to find Huang Shang.
Did Brother Li tell you that Huang Shang is here, in Qingcheng Mountain?

Yes. I've been sent by the He Luo Clan to take back the book entrusted to Huang Shang. Huang Shang fled the attempt on his life many years ago, but I'm sure he still remembers the whereabouts of the Book of Heaven.
Judging by your reputation, your martial arts skill is extraordinary, not to mention the help you have given us regarding the matter of the Chi Dan Palace.

Leave the main hall of our school and turn left. On the cliff of Qingcheng Mountain below, there is a cave, where Brother Huang is hiding.
He wants to see you, too.
Me? Why does he want to see me?
Words of your deeds have spread far and wide. He has mentioned you before in our chats, hoping you would find a way to him.

Perhaps you will be able to help him resolve his anger...
Anger?
I may be saying too much, but Brother Huang has taken the changes in his life badly. Please try to be understanding of him and give him a break. His true heart is still the same as the righteous man who used to care about the country and the people.

You know, I've jumped off this cliff a few times on the way to the Wolf Barbarians, and I never realized there was a cave here, much less a homey one like this.
I... I've lived here my whole life. To think that Commander Huang has been underneath my feet for so many years without me noticing... I am ashamed of myself!
We should have brought a gift, like a barbarian head or two.
What would he do with it? Play fetch with the tigers roaming below?
Sounds like a fun break from brooding on my failures.

(Oh! It seems that Master Ling was right, there really is a cave in the middle of this cliff!)
(This entrance is so difficult to find and the secret is held by the Qingcheng Monastery, no wonder no one has found Huang Shang even after so many years.)

(But there really is nothing up here. Huang Shang has been hidden here for so long by Master Ling and Qingcheng Monastery...)
(If I were to live here, it wouldn't take me six months to go crazy or die of boredom.)

Are you the Gui Siwang Ling Zhongyue has mentioned?
Huang Shang... no, Commander Huang!
I am no longer a commander, merely a man who has had everything taken away from him. Lower than the scum of the earth.

Ling Zhongyue has told me all about your deeds. Standing up for the He Family Horse Gang, liberating Qingtian Fortress, and overthrowing the Chi Dan Palace. Hah! You're really something.

The wuxia grapevine is truly something out of this world, it's been like three hours since Qingtian Fortress was freed.

None of that means anything to me!
...?
(Is this how Huang Shang relieves his boredom from being out here too long? Being rude to people?)
Hmmph! Are you wondering why I'm being so rude?
Well...

As I said. I am the dregs of the earth, who had everything taken away from me. Common courtesy means nothing to me! There is only one thing in this world I want, son. Can you guess what it is?
The burning hatred of revenge?

That's right! I'll kill the bandits of the Ming Sect, the witches of Qingzhai Village and the rats of the Nanzhao Kingdom, and cut out their hearts and livers to pay tribute to the fallen souls of the Huang family, young and old.
(Judging by the crazed look on his face, this is all he's been thinking about while hiding in this cave.)
Kid! I heard you fought off some dogs from the Ming Sect at Storm Cloud Crossing?
(Those guys in red at the basement, keeping Li Yanxian prisoner, and their boss?)

You mean the Wind King? Baili Junhe?
Baili Junhe, that's right, that's the son of a bitch! He escaped without a trace back then, where did he run off to? How come you didn't kill him?
He... his Qinggong was too good, he disappeared in a flash and I couldn't catch up.
Hmph! Escaped... yes, that bandit was always fast on his feet as well as with his sword... like that time...
(He's going on about the past again! Stick to the matter at hand, old man!)
... well, you did manage to force him to flee, so you do have a certain amount of skill.
I know what you are here for.
The Book of Heaven.

Exactly. Back then, when those bandits attacked and slew my family for the Book of Heaven, they took the River Map and broke the Book of Heaven into six fragments.
ARRGHH! Ling Zhongyue hid me in this cave and has been nagging in my ear all these years to stop me from coming out to take revenge! Hey! It's all loving bullshit! Soon, when I'm finally recovered, no one will be able to stop me!
I know you were sent by the He Luo Clan, otherwise, Li Yanxian would never have told you my location.

Well? You must have collected a few fragments by now, right? Show me!
This is all I've managed to find...
Hmmph. You've got a long way to go.
Indeed. And as you said, the NoMercy House got its hands on the River Map as well, so it won't be easy to gather both Heavenly Books. If you would be so kind as to point me towards the remaining fragments...

NoMercy House...? I see... so that is what they call themselves... the NoMercy House... THE NOMERCY HOUSE!
Uh, Commander Huang, did you hear me? If I am to fight against the NoMercy House and get back the River Map, then I will need the remaining fragments of the Book of Heavens...
Hmph. Kid, if you want the fragment I have... yes. But you will have to do one thing for me.
(drat! I knew it wouldn't be that simple!)
Alright, what do you want me to do?

The dog thieves of the Ming Sect... I want you to find out where they're hiding! I'm going there and I'm going to kill them all!
The Ming Sect? Um... where should I start looking?
Hmph. I've been hiding in this cave for these many years, what makes you think I have the faintest clue?
I get your point, but if I have to search every square foot of Central Shu for the Ming Sect, they'll find and kill you long before you have a chance to hand over your fragment and get your revenge.

Kill me? Who the hell do you think I am? I know their tricks better than any man alive! Let them come, I'll drink their blood!
But... I remember a sacred cave they used to hide out in, near here. Perhaps they think that without me around, it will be safe now. Hehehe... fools... fools!

Here, in northeastern Shu, there is a huge cavern with a hidden entrance. This used to be one of their strongholds, the Ming Sect's Northern Altar, where Baili Junhe was based.
Back then, I commanded my subordinate, Huangfu Dengyun, to take some men and surround that son of a bitch to trap him there.
Oh, Huangfu Dengyun! The current commander of troops in Central Shu!
Hmph! That incompetent fool, despite having everything handed to him on a plate, and with so many men under his command, he still let that son of a bitch Baili Junhe escape!

Hmph! I should have been the one to wipe out Baili's bandits and the rest of his gang! If I had... that son of a bitch wouldn't have survived to hunt down my family...
Hateful wind dog... Ghost Mandrill King... I'll cut you all into pieces!
(Better head him off before he goes into hysterics...)
Commander Huang, this is still only a rough location, can you go into more detail?
Kid, do you think I would still be here if I knew the location exactly? The sacred cave was found by Huangfu Dengyun, I only heard about it in reports, and never visited it myself.
I see.
(Never mind, at least it's a clue. Maybe I can ask Master Ling, Qingcheng Monastery is the number one sect in Central Shu, he might know something.)

And kid, after you find the sacred cave, bring back their Holy Fire Token.
Holy Fire Token?
The Ming Sect dogs possess a jade medallion carved in the shape of a flame. After you find their Northern Altar, bring it back as proof. Only then will I believe you have really wiped them out.
(This Huang Shang is not only hysterical but distrustful as well!)
Very well, as long as you give me the fragment of the Book of Heaven in return.

It is a shame that such an illustrious commander should be redued to living in a hovel like this.
It is precisely because he was an illustrious commander that he is reduced to hiding in a cave. To fly high is to invite arrows.
The least we can do is to try and help him get some revenge, eh, bro?
Brother Siwang?

...!
Brother Siwang, what are you doing?
Nothing! Nothing at all. Just admiring Commander Huang's choice of reading material.
You were trying to steal a sutra again, weren't you?
Darling, please, do you really think I'm that kind of person...
Just hand it over and let me judge if it was worth it.

Nameless Fragment: "Huang Shang was rescued by Ling Zhongyue after a great disaster befell him, and spent many years recuperating in a cave under Qingcheng Mountain while remembering his enemies' techniques. The results of his painstaking efforts to adapt these techniques for his own use are recorded in this sutra, which does not even have a name. Within, there are many flawed and deficient techniques such as the "Nine Yin White Bone Claw", the "Great Demon Fulfillment Technique", or the "Flying Flocculent Power", which have yet to be perfected."

Brother Gui, if you think of me as a friend, please listen to me and don't do anything that goes against your conscience again. I do not wish to be your enemy, but if you continue to behave in this manner, it will happen someday.

Psst! Dude, it's Duan Siping all over again!
Yeah man, it sucks. Still, I'd like to keep him around for a while, I'll have to behave for now.
Perhaps we should spend some time away from temptation. A nice, quiet village with nothing to steal...
You would not believe how many random people have a martial arts sutra on them in any given village.
There aren't any in the village I have in mind.
Why not?
You already stole all of them. Yuanyu, I believe you mentioned you wanted to go back to Gongshi Village to visit your sister?
Oh yeah! Thanks for remembering, Sister Yan!
We've all had a bit of time for personal matters except for you, it's only fair.

Sister, I'm back!
Little Yu!
It's been a while, but I've finally returned!

It's good that you're safe, it's so good that you're safe! Let's go visit the shrine, we have to give thanks to Heaven for taking care of you.

(Luo Yuanyu and his family went to the nearby shrine, added a small stone each for blessing, and prayed to Heaven...)
Gods above, though this Luo Yuanyu's parents died young, he was taken care of by his sister. Now he has joined the Beggar's Sect, to help the poor, young, and old to live in peace. May the gods grant him success in this, and in the young hero Gui Siwang's mission...
Gods above, please take care of Little Yu, let him have plenty to eat...

Oh, that's easy, uncle, take care of yourself, avoid danger when you see it and don't take so many risks!
Oh child... gods above, please forgive her...

Alright then. Sister, I need to keep going.
Uncle is great, I believe in you! Hehehe!
I believe in you too, Little Yu. Be careful out there.

This is technically the end of Luo Yuanyu's main questline, but as I'm trying to trigger his friendship quest, Siwang bids an emotional farewell to Luo Yuanyu's sister and immediately turns around and runs back to the Luo family farm.

Oh, Little Yu, you're back, thank the heavens!
Eh? Why don't you ask me how I'm doing, don't you care about me anymore?

The food is running out and the poultry are dying, what should we do?
Ehhhh? Is the situation that bad? What's going on?
Thieves have been visiting us every night, not only did they steal our grain, but several chickens have been killed!
Oh no!

Little Yu, can you think of a way to help us?
Hey, don't underestimate me, there's no way I won't be able to get rid of your little thief!
Come on, Brother Gui!
(Oh no, here we go again. Dragged into something that doesn't involve me...)

Don't worry, sister, we're starting our investigation now. Tell me, how did the thief get into the house?
I don't know, the door was clearly locked...
Could he have climbed in through the window? Perhaps with some kind of shrinking technique?
Little Yu, look at our window, what kind of thief could possibly fit? Please stop spouting nonsense.

Hey kid, looks like you're doing well. Getting fat?
Uncle is the one that's gotten fat! Eating well!
You rude little brat, maybe you're the one who ate all the food in the house!
Like I told Mother, it wasn't done by people!

Yeah right, not people? A little monkey couldn't eat that much food.
A demon! A flying demon that can disappear!
Hmm. You trying to blame a demon now?

I'm not lying! The demon makes the sound of snapping wings every night and sucks the blood of the poultry! If that doesn't count as a demon, then what does?
I'd like to see the demon that can stand up to the Flipping Sky Warrior!

Would you prefer to face the demon in a one-versus-one duel, Mr Flipping Sky Warrior?
Hey! Have a heart, Brother Gui!

A demon has eaten all of Master's ingredients! I'm sure to be killed when Master gets back.
Not only did it eat all of Master's food, but also all the Luo family's poultry. It's a scary demon that sucks blood!

Don't be afraid, the Flipping Sky Warrior is on the case!
Never heard of him.
Tch, why can't you just play along...
Let's try to stay on topic, do you know where the demon comes from?

I don't know where it comes from, only that it appears every night at the witching hour.
It moves so fast that when I hear the sound and look up, it is already gone.

The "ugly" hour referred to is an archaic Chinese timekeeping period of which there are twelve. "Chou" is approximately 2am-4am, according to the in-game clock.

Hmm? What a nice smell...
Actually, it's making me a bit hungry, why don't we go in and see if there's anything we can eat?

Hey, uncle! Smells good, what are you cooking?
Tell me first, do you think you know how to eat?

Please vote:
A - Of course, I've been a gourmet since I was born!
B - Know how to eat? A full belly is all I need...

And while you're at it, why not try to guess what the demon is?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A

I can excuse stealing sutra and taking grain from peasants, but I draw the line at chickenapping

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

A, we are goons! Of course we know how to eat

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 51: Sacred Cave of the Ming Sect

Of course, I've been a gourmet since I was born!
Really! Then you might be able to help me!
I'm making a soup, but I don't have enough ingredients.
Where can I find the ingredients?
Oh, the ingredients are in the bamboo forest next to the house, just be careful when you go get them...

Hiss!

Young Master, have you brought back the ingredients?
Will this snake meat do?
Ah, it looks really good! It should make a very tasty snake meat soup, thank you, little brother.

Snake meat soup? What kind of dish is that? It sounds delicious.
Little brother, are you interested in this dish? Let me teach you!

Thank you, senior, for your advice!

Snake Meat Soup: "Cook snake meat with onion, ginger, mala pepper, and wine to remove the fishy taste, for seven minutes. Tear into shreds and add into a soup made from chicken broth."

Oh, snake meat soup! It's not as good as the one I had back home, but it sure brings back memories!

Arrgh! What are you doing here?
Where there is snake meat soup, there is He Ziwan.
Weren't you spending your time in the Duan manor watching all the young and muscular troops training?
Meh. All they can talk about is fighting the Nanzhao Kingdom. They're even more boring than lil' Junbao.
Speaking of which, Miss He, I can't help but notice Zhang Junbao appears to be missing...
While you guys were inside cooking I scolded him for leaving Ling Shuangjun alone, and he left in tears. Shame on you, Siwang! Breaking up a couple like that.
Surely you mean sworn brothers, Ziwan?
I mean what I say and I say what I mean. Anyway, I'm bored out of my mind. Why are you guys back here?
Something's been eating the Luo family's chickens.
Ooh, could it be a new poisonous beast?
You'll have to stick around until nightfall, it only comes out at night.
Fine by me, I don't have anything better to do. Pass me a new blade sutra or something.

Ugh, I thought it was going to be a basilisk or something. It's just a big rooster.
I can tell you've never had to pick up eggs from a henhouse before.

Goo?
Goo?

Goo goo?
Wow, what a big rooster!
Goo?
What a beautiful rooster, how did it get here?

Wait, this chicken looks sort of familiar...

I think this is Saffron, who was hiding from the hens in a haystack, way back in Update 8? I don't remember any other notable chickens in this game.

Goo goo goo!

Not good! This demon chicken actually called in wolves!

Big Red Flower (Saffron?) is seriously underestimating Siwang and company if it thinks two wolves are going to do much against them. Unfortunately, as Luo Yuanyu closes in for the final blow, it does an acrobatic backflip, claws him in the face and flies away.

Ahhh. It got away.
Brother Luo, are you alright?
Where the hell did this demon chicken come from?

Haha, I saw it, Uncle got knocked down by a chicken!
Oi, kid, don't you dare badmouth me!
Uncle calls himself "The Great Skyflipper", doesn't he? How come you can't even beat a chicken?

That's no ordinary chicken, it's a demon chicken! It can suck human blood!
Haha! Uncle, you still believe in demons at your age?

Since when did you get so good at running your mouth? Let me teach you a lesson!
(Oh, Brother Luo, still acting like a kid...)
(The strange chicken may have run away for now, but it might still come back to harass Gong Shi Village...)
(Well, I'll be safely home by then, so I shouldn't worry too much about it...)

That kid is just too fast. I'll have to catch and spank her next time.
She might just be a natural talent at martial arts.
Haha, maybe! She is my niece after all.

I've seen so much in my journeys with Brother Gui, but I never thought I would encounter such a powerful demon chicken at home, much less get kicked in the face by one.
I thought my staff skills were more than enough to deal with a few wolves and dogs, but this chicken...

I've practiced these martial arts for so long, but I can't even beat a chicken. It all feels quite meaningless.
(Brother Luo said these words without looking particularly upset. I can't tell what he's actually thinking.)
Let's go, let's go! The Jianghu won't wait for us!

Insert training montage of Luo Yuanyu beating up a bunch of bandits here.

I haven't been home in a while. I'm worried about that demon chicken coming to trouble my sister. Brother Gui, want to come along?

We literally spent last night in your bed. All five of us.
Exactly. I don't normally share with so many people.
I'm surprised you didn't try to pull anything strange, Siwang.
Well, there was a fifty-fifty chance I'd grope a guy instead, and a one-hundred percent chance I'd get my naughty parts chopped off, so I kept my hands to myself.
I've slept worse on campaign. At least it was warm.

Brother Gui, I have a favour to ask.
Why so serious all of a sudden? Go ahead.
Let's have a sparring session.
Why now?
Afraid?
Hah! Watch out, I won't go easy on you!

Luo Yuanyu is pretty dangerous by now and smacks Siwang pretty hard in the duel, although he still loses in the end.

You've grown a lot, Brother Luo!
Mmmh.

Alas, no matter how I progress my martial arts, I always encounter people like you who are more powerful. This life of pursuing martial supremacy is really not for me.
Why do you say that, Brother Luo? Don't be discouraged.
I'm not discouraged, it's just that the path of martial arts is endless, even if I spend my whole life chasing the peak, it just feels like a waste of time. I'd rather spend time on practical matters than this vague pursuit.
Practical? What do you mean?

I want to build a place where the common people can live in peace without being bullied by the government and without being invaded by thieves.
That doesn't sound easy.
Hey, it's the ambition of a lifetime! How can it be easy?

Men without ambition in their hearts will only waste their lives in the end.
Brother Gui, do you also harbour an ambition in life?

Hmm...
(To be honest, I've never really wanted to do anything rather than go home.)
There's no need to rush an answer. This kind of thing is like fine wine, it is no good to hurry.

Oh! What's up with this chicken!
!!!
!!!
Demon! The food-stealing demon is back!
Brother Luo! The chicken is here again!
How can I call myself a man if I can't protect my family? I won't be so careless this time!

Brother Gui, stay out of this! This time I will protect my family on my own!

Goo goo goo!
Be careful, Little Yu!
Go Uncle!
Leave it to me!

Ahaha! Sister! We're having chicken for dinner tonight!

(Brother Luo's martials arts may not be the best, but his spirit is unmatched. His future is bright.)
(Alas, is there a goal that I want to achieve for the rest of my life, like Brother Luo?)

By the way, Siwang, not to interrupt your brooding or anything...
Yeah?
I found this sutra while looking through your collection with Ziwan.
Hmm. The Tianpeng Blade Technique? I haven't really studied it, you know I prefer to throw things at people...
It says it's the ancestral technique of the Baili family. Sound familar?
Like... Baili Junhe? The Wind King of the Ming Sect?
Hahaha, bro, are you like, secretly a member or something?
What? No!
Ugh, where did I pick that sutra up...?

Tianpeng Blade Technique: "The essence of the Baili Biao He's ancestral swordsmanship is that the strokes are strange and do not meet force with force like ordinary blades. There is not a big difference in the resulting bladesmanship, but the backing is ingenious, and the use of the false and the real are interchangeable, fuzzy and unpredictable."

Oh man, I really don't remember. I must have picked it up pretty early on, I'm going to have to ask Duan Siping or Cheng Yanhua.
If you're going to be travelling far, leave me out for a while. I want to make sure there's no more demon chickens lurking around my sister's farm.
Sure thing, man.
Thanks. Let me at least make you something for the road.

Believe My Concubine: "Farewell My Concubine was originally called "Dragon and Phoenix Chowder" and originated in Pengcheng, the capital of the Wester Chu dynasty. It was named as such because the dish uses together the flesh of turtle (as turtles are a type of water beast, headed by the dragon tribe) and pheasant (as pheasants are a type of feathered beast, headed by the phoenix tribe). Some people use tortoise and chicken instead, or other water and feathered beasts, the combinations are many and ingenious, but all are unforgettable."

I can't believe you don't remember those weird cultists with the red rug and the big bonfire. Those acrobatics you had to use to get in must have scrambled your brains.
It was a while ago, alright? I've been in too many caves.

Well, according to what Huang Shang said, the Ming Sect is hiding in a secret cave in northeast Shu... it's probably this one.
Hmmm, I remember there were some madmen with swords the last time I was here... I should take care.

...!

I say, can we really revive the Ming Sect by joining the NoMercy House and doing their dirty work?
It was the Wind King's decision to make. Don't forget, it was the Master of the NoMercy House who saved us in our hour of need.
What exactly is this Book of Heaven anyway?
Who knows, but the Wind King said that with its power, we can defy that dog Emperor, overthrow his authority and take back what is rightfully ours.
How can it be so powerful? Can't the Wind King slaughter his way to the capital and use it to chop the Emperor's head off?
Bah! Do you think the Wind King is as ungrateful as that dog Emperor? The NoMercy House Master saved our lives!
Indeed, we owe him a debt of gratitude.

(Wow, they sure seem hostile to outsiders...)
(Let's seize the chance to take them out while their numbers are small, and report back to Huang Shang.)

Who are you and how did you get here? Wait... have I seen you before?
He's... he's the Skywalker!
Ah, you know who I am, so we can skip the introductions.
I have some need for the sacred tokens you carry, just hand them over, and we won't have to fight. How about that?

"Skywalker" is just another mangled translation of "天外来客", or "guest from outside our cosmos", which I have generally tried to translate as "outlander".

You... want us to hand over our Sacred Fire Tokens?
Are you kidding? We will never give over our tokens while we draw breath!
Ugh... of course it couldn't be that easy.
Well then, please excuse me!

Ugh... this kid...
Just give up already. I don't want to kill anyone, even though that guy Huang Shang told me to kill you.
... Huang Shang?

So it's Huang Shang who wants our Sacred Fire Tokens...?
drat, that lackey of the Emperor is still alive... cough, cough... bastard... where is he?
Hahaha... kid, do you even know who you're working for? A bunch of disloyal dogs and traitorous vultures... we will never tolerate your existence!

Disloyal dogs? What are you talking about? Aren't the Ming Sect the rebels against the imperial court?
Hmmph! Kid, you've been brainwashed by the imperial court!
Back then... we, the Ming Sect heroes and heroines, were the ones who drove back the Wolf Barbarians from Central Shu and forced them to retreat to the west! Rebels? Bandits? Bah!
Well then, why does the imperial court consider you rebels then, if you fought against the Wolf Barbarians?

Hmmph! That bastard Emperor, Zhu Yuan Juan... he was once a member of our Ming Sect!
Huh?
He cultivated his own power in the Ming Sect... recruited talent, gathered men and horses...
And after the Wolf Barbarians were defeated... that Zhu dog... he plotted against our founder and made himself Emperor! He framed us as an evil sect and sent his troops to crush us!
That Huang Shang, he was one of that dog Emperor's generals!

So many years of war... Huang Shang killed so many of my Ming brothers... now that he's fallen from the Emperor's favour... he deserves it! He deserves it... cough...

(I see... the current Emperor used the power of the Ming Sect to ascend to his rule, and then tried to destroy the path he used so as to prevent any trouble in his rule...)

(And Huang Shang... he was an accomplice in the persecution of the Ming Sect?)

- These are good people, I should not wrong them by confiscating their tokens.
- I need these tokens, even if I have to take them by force!

If Siwang takes the first option, he will apologize and bind the wounds of the Ming Sect members.

Both the Wind King and the Demon Mandrill King will show up and threaten Siwang to reveal the location of Huang Shang.

But the Ming Sect members Siwang has treated will vouch for Siwang and beg both Kings to let Siwang go.

You ask me to let him go? Why?
Little brother here was unaware of our circumstances and sent here by Huang Shang to take our Sacred Fire Tokens. But after learning of what that bastard Emperor Zhu Yuan Juan had done, he repented and gave us medicine to cure our wounds. For our sakes, please let him go.

Kid, where is Huang Shang! Speak!
Hold your peace, Demon King. There is no need for us to fight.
Huh?
We are so close to learning Huang Shang's whereabouts, how can you let him go?

He listened to our brothers and spared their lives. We must take this into account, lest we go against the teachings of our Ming Sect.
This little brother was able to repent upon hearing the truth, which is proof of his extraordinary righteousness! Please, Demon King, we cannot kill him, the four of us beg you for his life!
Brothers!

...tch.
Thank you, Demon King! Thank you, Wind King!

This once and never again!
Brothers, I....
Why are you still standing here? Leave before they change their minds!

We're no good at martial arts and don't have any status, so this is the only way we can help you.
Little brother, you've given us hope that there are still righteous people in this world. Though the world has always blamed the Ming Sect for rebellion, today, at least one person has learned the truth and believes us. Go, quickly!

Alternatively. if Siwang chooses to use force to obtain the Sacred Fire Tokens, the Ming Sect members will fight to the death.

The flame of the Holy Spirit will never be extinguished!

Alas... why die for a mere token? I'll never figure out what people like this are thinking...

I'm sorry, brothers. Excuse me, but I have to take this token. I'll be sure to clean your graves and pay respects to you properly.

Then, Siwang will report back to Huang Shang with the Sacred Fire Tokens as proof of the Ming Sect presence, and Huang Shang will demand to be taken to the sacred cave.

Hahaha! Ming Sect dog thieves! So they were hiding in such a secluded place!

Siwang asks him for the Book of Heaven fragments he is holding, but Huang Shang says he will hand it over only after all of the Ming Sect is dead.

Ming Sect scum! I'm going to kill you all today!

Hehehe... these dog thieves must have been killed by you... Very good, very good! The people of Ming Sect deserve to die!

Ming Cult, come to me!

Ming Sect dog thieves, you all deserve to die!

Who... who are you?
?!
...!

Kid, come with me and kill them all! Kill these Ming Sect bastards!
Erm...

(The Ming Sect we killed on the way here were all warriors capable of fighting back, but the believers here... they seem to be old and infirm...)
Commander Huang, these believers are old and disabled, there is really no need to kill them all...

Hmmph! What the hell do you know? Are the old and disabled not part of the Ming Sect? All Ming Sect members should be killed, no survivors!
Listen... when my family was killed by the Ming Sect, were they shown any mercy because they were old and disabled?
I...

If you don't come with me to kill these people, then you are an enemy of me, Huang Shang! I'll take care of you too, afterwards!
(Huang Shang wants to kill these innocent people, and he will only give me the Book of Heaven fragment if I help him... what should I do?)

Please vote:

A - Spare the Ming Sect members, walk out of the cave.
B1 - Kill the Ming Sect members but spare the innocent civilians.
B2 - Just kill them all like Huang Shang wants to.

sandorius fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 13, 2023

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
I say A

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

For once a murderhobo will choose to not commit megamurder. A.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 52: The Fall of Huang Shang

Is he gone?
Yes, little brother has left the cave.

Pack your things, it's time for us to go.
Where are we going, Wind King?
We're going to Huang Shang, obviously.

So that's it... hahaha!

Meanwhile, at the cave entrance...

I can't help Huang Shang to kill these heroes, there must be another way...
I have to reason with him, maybe I can persuade him to let go of his hatred and not kill these good people.

What is he doing?
He appears to have traded some animal parts for sixty jars of wine.
Is he going to have a party with Huang Shang or something?
Shhh! Shut up or he'll hear us!

Now he's washing his feet in the winery's spring.
Are the winery guards stupid? Why don't they drive him off?
They're probably just drunk on duty or something.
Unbelievable! They should all be executed!
Shhh!

Commander Huang.
Hmmph. You've come back empty-handed.
... that's right. I failed to get my hands on any Holy Fire Tokens, because I realized they didn't deserve to be killed.

Didn't deserve to be killed?
Boy, how much have you even been through? Who are you to talk about who deserves to be killed or not?
I've been through enough, and I've seen a lot of poor bastards like you who are blinded by hatred and want to kill everyone.
But it was your master who betrayed the Ming Sect in the first place, you worked for him and killed many of the Ming Sect. It is only natural for them to seek revenge.

Let go of your hatred and recognize their own mistakes, this is not the time to focus on revenge...

Hmm....
Good... good... very good!
You're absolutely right. All the fault lies with me, Huang Shang. It's my fault for killing... I've accumulated a lot of bad karma...

But what about Yu'er? What about Zhong'er? What did my family do to deserve death?
This...

It's none other than you who killed your family!
!!!
!!!
That voice... I recognize it! You Baili bastard, you've saved me a lot of trouble by coming here yourself!

You guys... how?
(Did they...? They must have followed me here the whole way!)
Truly laughable. To think that we searched for so many years, and all this time, the secret was hidden beneath this stupid mountain.

Brother, step back. This matter is between the Ming Sect and Huang Shang, do not interfere.
Huang Shang! There's nowhere for you to run!

I... killed my family? Nonsense... what nonsense! It was you devils who slaughtered my family!
And what of our families? You helped the Emperor ascend to the throne and killed so many of our Ming Sect brethren, did you never even consider them as humans too?
Foolish bandits! The Emperor saw clearly that your volunteer army would confuse the people and bring disaster in the future. He was the only one willing to fight you bandits and bring peace and happiness to the people, hence, he raised an army and became the emperor!

I, Huang Shang, was entrusted by the Emperor with the important task of suppressing you bandits, how could I allow such an evil cult to plague the world?
Hmmph! The first Han Emperor might have been worthy of such ambitions, but not the traitor Zhu Yuan Juan!

We, the Ming Sect, led an uprising to protect the common people from the Wolf Barbarians, how could we become evil bandits simply by the word of Zhu Yuan Juan?
Since you are still so stubborn as to support that dog emperor, let us send you to hell today, along with your friends. A sad, sad family reunion to end a decade of feuding!

I see... you bastard, so that's what you're up to. Are you going to kill me with these Ming Sect thieves, and steal my fragment of the Book of Heaven?
No, I...
Very well! Even if you all conspire against me, I, Huang Shang, have fought all my life. I've never retreated even in the face of thousands of soldiers and cavalry. I have nothing to fear from a few rats and thieves. Neither King Jiang of Wanxiangzhe nor King Fengye of Bifang were my match, today, I'll send you fish who escaped the net to join them!
Shut up! How dare you insult my fallen brothers!
Hmmph. Let's see if you have any other tricks hidden up your sleeve, Huang Shang.

Kill Huang Shang!
Avenge our brethren!

(Alas, look at Huang Shang, the Ming Sect massacred his entire family in revenge, but even that is not enough to sooth their hatred... To be attacked by so many Ming Sect members, he's in a bad situation, I can't just stand by and do nothing.)
Everyone, stop!
Little brother, what are you doing?
You are wise and righteous, why are you helping this dog of the Emperor?

Huang Shang's family has already been ruined, he has paid the price for conquering the Ming Sect. Don't you think it's too much to kill everyone?
Kid, get out of my way! I know what you're up to, you just want to take the fragment from me!
No! There's been enough bloodshed on both sides, today, I'm going to stop it from spreading any further!

Indeed, it's past time to put this grudge aside.
Master Ling!

Stinking Taoist! Are you getting in our way too?
Distinguished guests of the Ming Sect, you have come a long way to visit our Qingcheng Mountain. However, if you do not follow the rules of common courtesy, I fear I must forbid you entry.

We are only here for Huang Shang, and have no intention of disturbing Master Ling.
Alas, Commander Huang is a guest here at Qingcheng Monastery, as the sect master, I must protect him.
I must add my voice to Young Master Gui's. The fighting should stop, please leave Qingcheng Mountain peacefully.

Ling Zhongyue, don't meddle in my affairs! I've waited so long for these demons to come to me, I'll break their heads, rip out their hearts and livers, and show them what happens to villains!
Do you hear that, Taoist Master? If you think a few words can easily resolve our deep hatred, you are far too naive to handle the outside world.
Should we then leave Huang Shang alive and let him massacre the Ming Sect? Is that your definition of stopping the killing? Ridiculous!
Little brother, please, stop!
... I'm sorry. I can't let you kill him.

Claim death, you sons of bitches!
Who lives and who dies, is yet to be determined!
Huang Shang, come! Pay for the lives of our brothers!

The poor Ming Sect members are slightly outnumbered even without Master Ling joining in.

Wind King... Ghost King... forgive my incompetence...
You bastards!
Hahaha! Come on, let's kill some more!
(Huang Shang seems to be getting crazier and crazier...)

The Demon Mandrill King actually manages to take off half of Wang Zhe's health on his turn, but is swiftly subdued on the next round of combat.

Such technique... how is it possible?
You bastards!
Hahaha! Die, you dogs!
No!

Get out of my way, kid! Urk...
Brother Huang! You have not fully recovered, your internal injuries are affecting you! Quickly, regulate your breathing!

I'm fine... I want to kill these dog thieves... I'm going to... cough!
Let's run for it!
... I'm not leaving.
The outlander's kungfu is stronger than we thought, and with Ling Zhongyue in the way, there's no way we can kill Huang Shang today. Think of our wounded brothers!
Wind King... brothers... I'm sorry...
Tch. Fine.

Let's get out of here.
You... Ling Zhongyue... stop them!
Brother Huang, I had thought all these years spent meditating in this cave would have helped you to resolve your hatred somewhat. But it seems like you're stuck in a dead end, with no way out.
Resolve? What a joke! I'll never forgive them... and you, you ungrateful brat! How dare you pretend that what I've been through doesn't matter?
Commander Huang...

You want to join forces with the Ming Sect to rob me of my fragment of the Book of Heaven, eh? Fat chance!
If you won't help me find the Ming Sect's sacred cave, I'll do it myself!
I...

Brother Huang, must you really go?
I will kill those who killed my family. Ling Zhongyue, don't get in my way.
In this world, there is cause and consequence. If you understand this, think carefully of how you act, it will affect you in the future.
I know very well what will happen in the future. The Ming Sect and the emperor's army will fight against each other, and the fighting will not end until the last man involved is killed.

But what does that have to do with me? Blood avenges blood, as is right and proper. Ten years, no, a hundred years of killing? That has nothing to do with me at all.
All I want is justice for my wife and children.

... Master Ling, shouldn't we stop him?
Brother Huang has been holding back this hatred for a very long time. Even if he could endure a few more years, I doubt he could endure a whole lifetime. It is his choice to make.
Can we even blame him for it? It is only we righteous few who will have to bear the burden of this disaster in the years to come.

I am grateful for your efforts to put an end to the bloodshed on behalf of Brother Huang.
Still, in the end I failed to resolve anything, and the Book of Heaven remains with Commander Huang.
This one will keep an eye on Brother Huang's whereabouts. Do not fear that the Book of Heaven will fall into the hands of the NoMercy House.
Thank you, Master Ling.
(Well, come to think of it, I had never experienced the tragedy of Huang Shang's family, how could he possibly listen to me and let go of his hatred?)
(Is letting him have his revenge the right thing to do...?)
(I should check up on the sacred cave.)

Huff... finally, climbed back to the sacred cave. But this cave is so well hidden, could Huang Shang really have found it already?

...? These are bodies, belonging to the Ming Sect! Could it be Huang Shang?

...!
That figure is... Huang Shang!
Hahaha! The sacred cave... I've finally found it!

You damned Ming Sect dog thieves... come and pay for the death of my family!
Commander Huang!
You again, boy? Are you going to ruin my plans again, and steal the Book of Heaven?

Commander Huang, don't be so stubborn! Are you really going to kill these innocent people for revenge?
The believers here are old and disabled, surely you can be satisfied with the deaths of the Ming Sect warriors on the way in? There's no need to wipe them all out!
Huh? What the hell do you know? Are they not also members of the Ming Sect?
Moreover, when my family were attacked by the Ming Sect, were any of them spared because they were old and disabled?
(Alas, it's true that I've never experienced such a burning hatred like Huang Shang's. Am I really in the position to stop him from taking revenge?)

Don't say I didn't give you a chance, boy... I'll give you the Book of Heaven if you kill all these Ming Sect members with me, okay?
Commander Huang, you...!
Don't you want to go home, outlander? They are weak, it would be as easy as snapping your fingers. Good deal, isn't it?

Since nobody voted for the "massacre innocents" options last update I am just going to assume that Siwang will turn down Huang Shang's offer. I believe this will lock out Huang Shang from joining the party, but this is probably for the best as he will complain bitterly everytime Siwang makes a righteous choice.

Huang Shang, I used to respect you as a commander of the army keeping the peace in Central Shu... but now you're just a poor man blinded by hatred. You'd even stoop to killing old and handicapped people who can't even fight back...
If you insist on killing, I, Gui Siwang, will not stand by and watch!

Bah! I have the Book of Heaven, if you don't do as I say and ruin my revenge, you can forget about receiving it from me!
Huang Shang, if I kill these innocent people in order to go home, then I would become a poor man just like you, with blinders on his eyes!
Hahaha! How dare you say such nonsense?
Very well! If you don't want to go home, then die here with the Ming Sect!

The resulting fight is brief and unremarkable. Despite being fueled by hatred, Huang Shang is no match for Siwang and friends.

Commander Huang, please stop! Even though they are both from the Ming Sect, these people are innocent, they are not the ones who killed your family.
I see... so it was you! Are you happy now? To finally kill the last of the Huang family?
(What is he talking about? Has he finally lost his mind?)

I was busy fighting the Ming Sect at Qingcheng Mountain, so I didn't take note... but now that I'm fighting you, I've realized... your weird fist techniques... just like those drat killers! The Ming Sect... the Hmong of Qingzhai Village... the rats of the Nanzhao Kingdom...!
(Fist technique? What's he talking about?)

drat... I hate you all! I can't even take revenge on my enemy... Yu'er, Zhong'er, your father... your father has let you down...
Hrrk!

Why'd he mention us Hmong? I feel personally attacked.
No you don't. Because he went straight for me and tried to claw out my heart while you stood by and watched.
Look, these blades are heavy, alright? It takes a while for me to get going.
I must say he was not very good at using the Nine Yin White Bone Claw.
Yeah, the sutra I lifted off him wasn't the real one I gave you. He was just trying to reverse-engineer it from his observations in battle.
It is a great shame that such a great commmander be driven to such despair. Truly, he had lost everything, even his honour.
Well, he's about to lose something else too.

Here it is, another piece of turtle shell!
To cut the dazzling flowers in six colours...
(This is... it's like I've suddenly increased my comprehension!)

Please don't blame me, Huang Shang. I really couldn't let you kill all these old and sick people.
Now let's get out of here before...
Young Master Gui.

Master Ling!
I would like to thank the young master for stopping Brother Huang from killing innocent people.
I hadn't expected his obsession with revenge to be so deep, that he would even kill those without the means to fight back.
Alas, who can truly understand another man's hatred?
Brother Huang must have mentioned to you the whereabouts of the remaining fragments of the Book of Heaven. No doubt the process of finding them will be very dangerous, please be careful, young master.
Please keep safe Brother Huang's fragment of the Book of Heaven.

As thanks for your righteousness, the Qingcheng Sect will continue to keep an eye on the movements of the NoMercy House for you, Young Master Gui.
I will take Brother Huang back to Qingcheng Mountain.
Thank you for your help, Master Ling.

Fragments of Flowers: "One of the fragments of the Book of Heaven, a broken piece of tortoise shell with a blooming flower engraved on it that you receieved from Huang Shang. As you stare at the patterns of the flower, a few prophetic words come to mind: "The sky skillfully cuts the flowers of jade, and six colours fall out...".

Well, that was a pain in the rear end.
You barely did anything.
I heroically refrained from poisoning Huang Shang for insulting my village.
You threatened to cut off my legs the first time we met! As far as I'm concerned, he was totally... mmphgmmh!
Now now, dears, let's not fight amongst ourselves. I think we could do with some time away from all this Ming Sect drama.
Come to think of it, I do need to get back to Qingtian Fortress and check on my brothers in arms. You would all be welcome to rest there.
Meh. A military fortress is hardly my idea for a restful getaway.
Wait. Remember the eagle hunter we met while on the way to Qingtian Fortress, Ade Ake? He invited us to go hunting with him. And we can visit Qingtian Fortress afterwards.
An excellent plan, Brother Siwang. I would like to make the acquaintance of our southern neighbours as well.

Ah, Brother Gui! Welcome to our camp!
How is it? The view from the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain is really nice, isn't it?

Yes, the air is so fresh and the landscape so magnificent, I'm not surprised you set up camp here.
I'd much rather be here than back at the Mu Clan manor, that's for sure!
Why, what's going on there?

Hmm? Oh, there's going to be a birthday banquet and shooting contest held there soon.
It's the 60th birthday of our clan head, so the whole Mu Clan Manor is in a state of chaos because of the preparations.
I do pity big brother for having to take of care of it.
Will you be going back for the celebrations?
Haha! No.

I haven't been back to the Mu Clan manor since I established this settlement here. Even if the Snow Wing Eagle drives us off, I will send the other eagle hunters back to Dayan Town, and I will leave for other places.
For the eagles of Naxi, the sky is a curtain and the four seas are home.
Ah, the shooting competition five years ago.
Indeed! Brother Gui, you know about it?

Yes, five years ago, I won the shooting contest held by the Mu Clan.
At the time, I made a request to our clan head Mu Tuxi... if I could win the competition, he would let me leave the Mu Clan and make my own way in the world of martial arts!
(Mu Tuxi... isn't that his father?)

So you'll surely win this shooting contest, right?
Oh, I don't know. Dayan Town has produced a lot of talented warriors in these past few years, and if you are excessively proud of yourself for winning one battle, you will surely lose the next one.
Also, were my second brother to take part, I would surely never win.
Your second brother is that good?
Haha, that's right! I've never been able to beat him, in marksmanship or martial arts.
And there is the matter of our plan to deal with the Snow Eagle here...

The Snow Eagle?
The Snow Wing Eagle is extremely fierce, it appeared in the snowy mountains one winter day three years ago, and to date, it has preyed on more than a hundred of our eagles.
So many!
Yes, it seems that the Snow Wing Eagle has a taste for eagle flesh, and doesn't eat other meat.
We've tried and failed to hunt it down many times. The camp can't afford to lose any more eagles.
So what's the plan?
A paralyzing poison.

Huh? You're going to use poison on it?
(Like the one I was hit with last time? Poor eagle...)
Well... the Snow Wing Eagle is extremely strong, if we don't use a massive dose of paralyzing poison, I'm afraid there's no way for us to deal with it.
I see. You will surely triumph over the Snow Wing Eagle next time, then!
It's just that, with this poison, the Snow Wing Eagle will surely suffer terribly...
That is always something I don't want to see...

...!
Brother Ake!
What's going on? What's the commotion about?
It's the Snow Wing Eagle! It's hunting our eagles again!
Tch! It has weakened our colony so much that it's become bold.
Brother Gui, please excuse me. I must go and drive off the Snow Wing Eagle.

(Mmmm... maybe I should go along for the ride and see how they're doing with the eagle hunt?)

Please vote on Siwang's next few courses of action:

A - Join Ade Ake on his eagle hunt
B - Help Wang Zhe check up on the state of Qingtian Fortress
C - Go help the chivalrous thief Li Tan in Shu Yuji village
D - Go do sidequests in Shu Yuji village while pretending Li Tan doesn't exist
E - Grind friendship and trigger He Ziwan's and Cheng Yanhua's friendship quests

sandorius fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 12, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
C. Help out a chivalrous thief, why not?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

E, let's be friends to friends.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A: Eagle Huntin Time

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

A, can we get a pet birb? :thunk:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 53: Snow Wing Condor

You may have noticed that I refer to the big bird eating other eagles as a condor now. This is because the latter part of this quest is voiced, so I can confirm that it is a "雕" and not an "鹰", and is probably a reference to the fairly well-known wuxia novel "Legend of the Condor Heroes".

As to the exact difference, one needs only refer to that wise oracle, Google Translate, which tells us: "That is to say, eagles and eagles belong to two parallel subfamilies and belong to the family Accipitridae. In a narrow sense, people refer to medium-sized Accipitrid raptors as eagles, super-large Accipitrid raptors as eagles, some medium-sized Accipitrid raptors as buzzards, and small ones as kites."

Thank you, Google Translate.

Nice bow you got there, Ade Ake. I like the duck head, did you hunt it yourself?
It is actually supposed to be an eagle. Here, let me show you the difference...
Don't fall for it, he's distracting you so he can steal all your sutras.
Hey! I'm reformed now!
Nevertheless, dear, step away from the nice young man and let's go help him with his condor problem instead.

Now in the last update there was a choice between approving of using poison on the condor (wild and unrestrained) and disapproving (reserved and gentlemanly). I chose the former because Siwang is generally speaking a pretty chaotic character and throwing mobile phones at swordsmen is hardly the epitome of fair play.

The condor is just a little bit south of the eagle hunter camp and is already being attacked by three huntsmen.

Avenge our eagles!

(Oh...! That must be the Snow Wing Condor, it sure looks strong!)
Ake, I'm here to help you!
Brother Siwang? What are you doing here? The Snow Wing Condor is fierce, I won't be able to protect you!
Haha! Don't underestimate me, Ake, would I be here if I didn't have confidence in my own martial arts?
Very good! Please help us, Brother Gui!

Guys! Put venom on the arrows! The survival of the camp depends on whether or not we can hunt down the Snow Wing Condor this time!
For the sake of our colony, we must win this battle!
(What inspiring spirit! Ake is truly worthy of being the leader of these eagle hunters!)

Grahh!

Three eagles, four hunters, and five martial artists (not including Ade Ake) gang up on the poor Snow Wing Condor. It's not as bad as it looks, though, because the eagles are pathetically weak and are basically providing free snacks for the Condor.

The Snow Wing Condor has pretty good stats and an incredibly annoying 50% chance to dodge.

Also, like any self-respecting mid-boss, it has an enrage/self-heal when it reaches low health for the first time.

Ga-ga-gaaah!
...?!

It does this three times, actually, healing for a little bit less each time.

(This Snow Wing Condor, though stubborn, has become quite tired...)
(The Snow Wing Condor is on the verge of death, and yet it continues to resist!)

Hah! Stinking condor! Now you've had it!
Brothers! Let's keep going and kill the condor!
(Hmm? Why is Ake so quiet?)

Aji, Ashi, stand down.
Get behind me!
Huh? Ake, what are you doing?
I'm going to capture it!

At this point the Snow Wing Condor gains its final healthbar and Ade Ake is supposed to get an ability to capture it, much like the Beast-Taming Sutra. Unfortunately none of this matters because Golden Mane is going faster in the initiative order than Ade Ake.

Bad kitty! Stop eating that!
Oh my.
Truly, the lion is the king of beasts on the land, while the condor rules the skies.
Sure picked a bad day to come down here, huh?
Sorry, Ake. Golden Mane doesn't really listen to me sometimes...
Don't worry about it. Look, the Snow Wing Condor is still alive.

Brother, this condor has eaten so many of our eagles! There's no reason to keep him alive!
Right, brother! Revenge for our dead!
No. The Snow Wing Condor has eaten many of our eagles, but it was only hunting, after all, that is its nature. All we have to do now is to subdue it.
We are here to hunt, not to seek revenge.

Thanks to you, Brother Gui, the hunt went smoothly. On behalf of the Eagle Hunter Clan, I'd like to thank Brother Gui!
Why so formal? We are friends, we should help each other out.
I'm glad to have made friends with you, Brother Gui!

But now that the Snow Wing Eagle has been poisoned, it must be in agonizing pain. I need to take it back to our camp and treat its injuries.
Please join us there if you have some free time in the next few days, Brother Gui.

(Well, I didn't expect Ake to try and capture the Snow Wing Condor halfway through the fight...)
(In the end, the Snow Wing Condor was badly wounded and caught...)
(I should check up on the Eagle Hunter Camp.)

Ake, how are the Snow Wing Condor's wounds?
Brother Gui!
Alas, on the way back to the camp, the Snow Wing Condor bled out and died.
Died?

No matter how strong the life force, sometimes, one cannot avoid death...

Look on the bright side, Ake, you've solved a problem for the colony, and everyone can continue live in peace on the snowy mountains.
Besides, it ate so many of your eagles that it should have been killed to avenge your eagles.

... the Snow Wing Condor was a rare specimen of its species, how could I kill it for personal revenge?
Brother Gui, in truth, when I captured that Snow Wing Condor, I was hoping to tame it.
To kill it out of hatred would be to wrongly deprive it of its chance to live...

But don't all the hunters here in the camp hate the Snow Wing Condor?
Don't you want to kill it to avenge your eagles' death?

Hmmm... Brother Gui, hunting is a fair thing to me.
One side dies and one side lives.
Only in this way can the workings of nature be kept in balance. That's why we eagle hunters exist.

Were I to kill other beings in order to appease my hatred...
Then I would no longer be an eagle hunter... but merely a man seeking revenge to satisfy his own selfish desire.
I cannot agree to that.
(I see... I hadn't expected Ake to think that way...)

Well... let's speak no further on this. Brother Gui, it's time for us to celebrate the resolution of this Snow Wing Condor incident! And celebrate my new friend - Brother Gui!
I shall make our special ghee tea and drink it with Brother Gui!
Haha, very good!
(Although... isn't this the time to drink wine, and not tea?)

(That night, the eagle hunters built a bonfire in the camp, and all the inhabitants joined in on the fun...)
(There was no shortage of good wine, but Ade Ake refused to drink any. Eventually, he was persuaded to have a few cups, and he fell unconscious almost immediately.)
(The eagle hunters toasted each other merrily, Naxi women bustled through the crowd, and children played with eagles and wolves, laughing and frolicking...)
(A rare chance to enjoy such an ordinary peace...)

It's too bad Ade Ake was so drunk he slept the whole night away. No wonder he said he preferred to drink ghee tea, it seems he can't handle alcohol at all...
This is a good place to live, far away from the hustle and bustle of the world, with its own peace, on a snowy mountain.
Now that I think about it, with Mu Chu in charge of the Mu Clan, Mu Kui in charge of security in Dayan Town, and the youngest brother Ade Ake here in the Eagle Hunter Camp...
It seems that the peace in this place will hold for a while.

Still... after all this travelling, I still haven't found any information on the Book of Heaven.
There's always a steady stream of people in the square in front of the tea house in Dayan Town, maybe I can hear some rumours there?

Now, I am fairly sure that the thread would prefer the Snow Wing Condor to live, so I loaded up a save from before this quest started and chose to advise Ade Ake not to use poison, and also removed Golden Mane from the party.

Once the Snow Wing Condor is reduced to its final healthbar, Ade Ake will order the other hunters to run away, and he will gain an ability to use on the Snow Wing Condor to capture it.

It takes 8 attempts over 5 rounds of standing around and getting pecked by an angry bird, but the capture finally succeeds.

Great! Brother has caught the condor!

This means that when Siwang returns to camp and asks how the condor is doing, it is still alive.

The Snow Wing Condor's condition is pretty stable now. It's very resilient, to be able to survive a serious injury like that.
In fact, it's temperament became so docile, it is now willing to eat meat other than eagle meat.
Oh? (The condor has changed so much, what a surprise!)
But the other eagle hunters seemed opposed to capturing the Snow Wing Condor, rather than killing it.

Everything else plays out similarly, with Ade Ake making the same speech and the celebration being skipped over via text box.

Hey, dumbass, I've got something to talk about with you.
Well, what is it? You're not going to put a curse on me, are you?
Well, if you're asking... what kind of curse would you prefer?
Please don't. Back to the point, what's the matter?
I just wanted to talk to you about what's happened.

I thought it was going to be an easy trip when I left Qingzhai Village.
All I had to do was to bring back our holy relics, and my sister, and everything would be back to normal. Instead, my sister was killed by that bastard Yang Tianyi...
(The atmosphere suddenly became heavy, what exactly is she trying to say?)
But it wasn't all bad on this trip, I caught quite a few interesting poisonous creatures and Hong'er had a good time.
By the way, it was fun meeting you and Duan Siping too!
Uh. Thanks for the appreciation.

It would be interesting to continue traveling with you, at least for a while, before I return to Qingzhai Village to inherit my sister's responsibilities. You should definitely call me if you find something new and poisonous!

Zhang Junbao is also feeling sentimental and has mailed Siwang some Ice Silk for making underwear protective garments.

Back in Dayan Town, Siwang spies a familiar face in front of the teahouse.

The one sitting in front of the teahouse... isn't that the weird old man who taught me how to heat tea before?

Elder, why are you here? Aren't you afraid the teahouse staff will recognize you?
...?
(So weird, is he ignoring people again? Why is he staring at the table, is he trying to heat his tea again?)

(No, wait, he's not staring at the table, he's staring straight ahead.)
(This old guy's eyes... it's a bit stressful to look at him for too long...)

... Kid, you really can't see it?
(He spoke!)
What do you mean, elder? If you're referring to this table, or the stage, what's there to see?
Alas, you've spent so much time in this town, but in vain. You really don't see it at all?

Elder, please don't be so secretive and reveal your wisdom to the younger generation so that they can learn from you!
Hmm... seeing as you've helped me heat my tea before, I'll tell you. Listen well...
In my opinion, in the next few days, there will be great chaos in the Mu Clan.
...?!
Elder, please watch what you say! This is a public space!

The town is in a state of peace, and I see no reason for chaos in the next few days.
Boy, if you think I'm talking nonsense, just see it with your own eyes.
Stay here a night or two. See if something big happens.
I. on the other hand, don't want to stay here even another day! I'd rather be as far away from such troubles as possible.
(How can this old-timer be so sure? Even if he is skilled at martial arts, he can still get things wrong, right?)

Alright, I've got to go! My friend is waiting for me to save his rear end again!
...?
Kid, if you get into trouble, don't blame me for not warning you!

(Gone already... are all top martial artists so eccentric?)
(Chaos in the Mu Clan... it can't be true, can it?)
(Well, it's always good to have more information, let's stay in Dayan for a few days and see what happens.)
(Actually, I'm pretty tired from all the running around I've been doing, so I'll just go to the inn and stay the night.)

It's broad daylight, are you seriously going to sleep the day away?
This is sloppy behaviour, Siwang, you should be ashamed of yourself.
If you rent a room now, Siwang, I'll make dinner for you.
What? No! I mean, no thank you, I feel a great urge to rid the countryside of bandits.
Very wise... I mean, very commendable.
Oh, and I need a favour from you guys while we're here in Dayan Town. I left something in Duan Siping's manor, and I really should pick it up soon.
Why, is it poisonous?
... It's Hong'er, isn't it?
How rude! I would never lose track of my pet centipede!

Hey, oh great leader, are you free? Can you make a trip back to the Duan Manor?
Sure, but why the hurry?
I forgot my Five Poisons Powder there. It's very important I get it back.
Five Poisons? I'll just make one for you.

Hey, it's my special Five Poison Powder, how can your weak poison compare to it?
Yeah yeah, let's go.
That's more like it.
Where in the Duan Manor did you leave it?

I don't remember.
You don't remember!
Well, that's why I need your help! Stop nagging and let's go!

You know, my daughter Feifei gave me less trouble than you lot, and she's half your age.
If I may ask, Madam Cheng, why do you stay, then?
Well... Siwang has a good heart, deep down inside. Ziwan too.
Very deep.
Siwang did save my daughter from a fate worse than death. The least I can do is to provide a little adult supervision from time to time.

The other day, if it hadn't been for your help, us mother and daughter, as well as Doctor Chen, would have met with terrible misfortune. Feifei's childhood would have been no longer so carefree...
This is a kindness it will take me a lifetime to repay.
(Uhh... why so serious all of a sudden?)
No matter what happens in the future, if you are injured, I will definitely do my best to save you.

You know, Madam Cheng, there's a fisherman north of Gongshi Village who will only speak to a righteous man. If you could kindly testify...
But of course.

Oh, good boy, since your reputation is good, I'll have a chat with you.
More than thirty years ago, I made a name for myself in the martial arts world. Though I was no great warrior, but at least I was righteous.
I never thought I would fall in love with a woman, just like that.

I courted and impressed her with great difficulty, but she made me swear an oath to heaven, to quit the martial arts world and never fight anyone again.
As one floats about the Jianghu, one is eventually destined to be slain. She wished to cherish me, and did not want me to live a life of licking blood from the tip of a knife.
What? You quit the martial arts world just to get married?

What do you mean, just to get married? Little brother, marriage is a big deal for both man and woman, you'll figure it out when you meet the one you love.
Oh.
Good boy, it must be destiny that we met today. It would be a pity for my skills to be lost to the martial arts world.
Why don't I pass on my skills to you, and you can replace me in my youthful dream of protecting the country and the people?

Aren't you afraid I will fall in love with another woman and retire from the Jianghu, and then your kungfu would be lost again?
Can't you just look for someone to pass it on? Take this book, go back and practice with your meals, and in the future, you can continue to kill demons and promote good.

I would never hold you back like that.
I know.

Hi, have you seen my Five Poison Powder?
Poi... poison? We don't have such things in the Duan Manor!

Hi, have you seen my Five Poison Powder?
Don't bring poison into the kitchen!

Hi, have you...
Hey, have you heard of the new poison circulating in the Jianghu lately??
What poison? No, I haven't.
Apparently there's a lethal Cow-Blinding Toad that appears in the caves of the mountains to the northwest.

How lethal is it?
I heard that if you get within 10 steps of it, you will be poisoned and die!
No one dares approach the area, caravans all detour around it.
Wow, so terrifying! Where in the world did this poisonous thing come from?

Incidentally, for some inexplicable reason the Chinese character for clam "蛤" is also the same as that for toad. I can tell that these guards are actually chatting about a toad because I am fairly sure clams do not grow in mountain caves.

The Cow-Blinding Toad... sounds like the king of all poisonous creatures.
Great, let's go!
Let's go? Where?

To catch the Cow-Blinding Toad, of course. It would be a great pity to let such a precious poison get away.
Aren't we here to find your Five Poison Powder?
This is no time for Five Poison Powder! What if this powerful new poison gets away? Are you going to compensate me?
Didn't you hear those guards saying it was lethal?

You're a big boy, what are you afraid of? If you don't dare to catch it then let me do it!
Well... I guess that would be fine...

Wait. Miss He, are you going to catch that poisonous toad?
Of course!
That rumor... am I just being paranoid?
If the poison is as fierce as they say, it may be better to dispose of the toad rather than keep it.

Hey, don't look down on my ability to handle poisonous creatures! I can handle that toad easily! Let's go, oh great leader!

Well, is this the rumoured place?
Where could the toad be...?

Haha, they fell into our trap!
The boss is really smart!
An ambush!

Hey, how dare you deceive me!
There's no escape for you, not even if you have wings!
Now hand over the Secret Book of Ultimate Poison!

What? How do you even know about its existence?
The whole Jianghu is abuzz with rumours that the heiress to Qingzhai Village has died, and that Qingzhai Village's most powerful secret sutra is in the hands of a young girl!
How could the news have spread...
Fool! The whole Duan Manor was talking about it for days! This is the middle of nowhere, even if you scream, no one will come to your rescue. Hand over the sutra now and I might still spare you from death!
Ugh, only you Han people could think up this kind of disgusting trick.
Are you handing over the sutra or not?

Never!
If you want the sutra, you'll have to go through me first!

This launches Siwang and Ziwan into combat with a bunch of grey-masked robbers and more streaming into the cave every round.

After five rounds of combat, an unlikely saviour arrives.

Bold thieves, cease and desist!

Brother Duan!
I thought it was strange that I had no reports of such a big rumor, but it turns out that it was intentionally spread as a trap.
Duan Army, go!

It's really lucky that there were Duan troops ready to back us up, otherwise we would have been in trouble.
It was the least I could do, after all, if the Secret Book of Ultimate Poison were to fall into the wrong hands, it could cause us endless troubles.
What, no comment?

...I hadn't realized word of my sister's affair had spread throughout the Jianghu.
My sister was the heir of Qingzhai Village, and also our most powerful martial arts master. I always thought she had a great future ahead of her.
But she died at the hands of Yang Tianyi and the Nanzhao Kingdom. I don't know if Mother and our village can resist their insidious villainy.

There is no need to worry, Miss He. Let Qingzhai Village join hands with the Duan Family and our army, and any threat can be solved.
Really? You want to ally with our village?
This humble Duan is well aware of your ability and trustworthiness.

Huh. Look at you, so righteous and all. But in the end you need the power of our Qingzhai Village, don't you?
This humble Duan does not deny it.
As long as we can avenge our sister, it's no bad thing.
Let me warn you first. Mother may not agree.
This humble Duan is convinced that Miss He will be able to convince your honored ancestor to do her part for the people of Nanzhao.
(Never would I have expected these two opposite personalities to unite in the same purpose. My eyes have been opened today.)

Hmm. Don't you think this was all a litte too convenient?
The warmonger is indeed very good at his craft.
Oh come on, aren't you all being a little too suspicious?
He could have warned us before we left.
You think he could have stopped us with Little Miss Poison here so eager to find a new toad?
It doesn't matter.
...what?
So he's dragging my village into his war. So what? I just want revenge for my sister's death.
If he treats us badly he'll find some Five Poison Powder in his soup and choke to death on his own vomit.
Thank you for that wonderful image, now let us get back to Dayan Town and have a great dinner not involving soup, nor Ziwan or Yushu going anywhere near the kitchen.
Hey! I heard that!

Well, I'll just stay in Dayan Town for a few more days and see if the old man was just making things up.

Ugh, it's so late at night, why is it so noisy outside? Can't people just go to sleep?
Unless... did something really happen?
Hey, did you hear? The Mu Clan master's banquet had an accident!
What, really? What can happen to such a big clan?
I don't know, but the master urgently called the guards to patrol the town...

(Something really happened at the birthday party? So the old man was right?)
(Hmmm... looks like we need to go to the Mu House and see what's going on.)

There are now a bunch of guards running around Dayan Town, although they don't have any specific instructions other than just to patrol, and have no idea what is going on.

I heard that something happened at the birthday party, but there was nothing unusual about the town.
Since I have a token of friendship from Mu Chu, I'll just go in and ask him what happened.

Unfortunately the guards at the front door turn Siwang away even with the token.

The area around the Mu Clan manor is now absolutely crawling with troops, including this poor lad.

When I was young, I was also an eagle hunter, until I got an arrow wound in my right leg... After that, I had to return to the Mu House and settle down to being a patrolman.

However, the Mu Clan has somewhat unwisely built their house right next to a very tall hill.

It is simple child's play for Siwang to sneak into the Mu Clan manor and eavesdrop on the two Mu brothers present in the main hall.

Phew... finally snuck in.
(Hmm...? Are they having a quarrel in there?)

Are you really going to call Ake back?
That's right.
When such important events happen in the clan, we should bring him back and discuss the aftermath.

He has been away from the Mu Clan for so long, he is no longer familiar with our internal affairs. What can he do to help?
Mu Kui, Ake is still one of us, and he has an obligation to know these things.
Moreover, with his reputation as the "Snow Mountain Eagle", he can help us to maintain stability.
Brother, is Ake the "Snow Mountain Eagle" to you, or our third brother?
We need to focus on the big picture.
Hmph. You worry too much about these things.

... Mu Kui, do you really want to fight with me about this, when our father has just passed away?
(...?!)
(Mu De is dead? Was it at his birthday celebration?)

Hmph, you and the old man have been hiding here all day, talking about benevolence, righteousness, ritual, faith...
In my opinion, you're all just cowards who are afraid of death!
Mu Kui, some things aren't as simple as you think...
Not simple? Huh? Did you forget the glory of our ancestors and our people when we adopted the surname Mu?
I guess marching and fighting are too difficult for you as well!
... Mu Kui!

Don't call me that! I am Ade Akui!
Oh, Mu Kui... are you really going to put the people of Dayan Town into danger just for the vanity of that name?
Brother, do you think I name myself falsely?
You've forgotten more than your original surname, while you were ruling the Mu Clan.

The only way to enrich the country is to have a strong army! If I were to lead the clan, I would use our troops to consolidate order and expand our territory.
Only then can we lead the people to prosperity!
I can't allow you to do that, Mu Kui.
Hmph! I don't need your permission to do anything! Just try and stop me!

(Oh dear, this doesn't sound good... Mu De is dead, and the two remaining household heads are bickering with no consensus at all.)
(The old man was right, this is something really big... earth-shattering, even.)
(Mmm... I'd better leave Dayan Town before it's too late and take shelter from the coming storm, leave the Book of Heaven for later...)
Who are you? How dare you sneak around here!

Oof! Caught!
Thief! How dare you trespass into the Mu residence... surrender now!

The Mu Clan's chief henchman, Oddjob Thule, is surprisingly dangerous. Poor Yan Yushu got knocked out by his AOE, I think he has some kind of berserker buff going on where he does more damage the lower health he is. Luckily, combat only lasts for one round before it is stopped by Mu Chu.

(This uncle's kungfu is so strong, and that spear of his, this is going to be tough...)
Kid, your kungfu isn't too bad, but you came to Mu House to be a thief, aren't you ashamed of yourself?
Hey, my conscience is clear, what can I say?
You...!
Thule, please ask the friend outside to come in.

Well, it really is Young Master Gui! I knew it was you when I heard your conversation with Thule.
Who is this?
This young warrior's name is Gui Siwang, he is the one that picked the Jade Dragon Snow Lotus before.
Hmmph.
But why are you here, young warrior? I've ordered a lockdown on the Mu Clan manor, you shouldn't be here right now.
This... well, to tell you the truth, I came here to investigate what is happening in Dayan Town.

Hmm... Gui Siwang, you are a man I can trust.
I happen to have some things to ponder, and would like to ask Young Master Gui's thoughts.
Sure, just ask! No need to beat around the bush.
You overheard our conversation, so you should understand that Dayan is facing both an internal and external crisis.

(Mu De is dead. If news of this spreads, Dayan Town will be in a panic, Mu Chu wants to use his troops to maintain order here.)
(On the other hand, Mu Kui is ambitious and plans to use his troops to conquer outwards. But, the chaos in Dayan Town might spiral out of control...)

Young Master, what would you do if you were me?

Please vote:

A - The peace needs to be kept, so that Dayan Town will not suffer.
B - A strong nation should be built at any cost.

sandorius fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 26, 2023

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

sandorius posted:

When I was young, I was also an eagle hunter, until I got an arrow wound in my right leg... After that, I had to return to the Mu House and settle down to being a patrolman.

Is this a citation?

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Oh yes, it's definitely a Skyrim joke.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A, a local civil war is less bad than a regional civil war.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 54: Murder at the Mu Manor (Part I)

Mu Chu, in my opinion, the town is now under internal and external pressure, so of course we should put the overall situation first, and stabilize the situation first.

Hmmph, another weak and useless guy.
Mu Kui!
... I'm going to town to search for the assassin.

I leave the internal affairs to you, Mu Chu.
Ugh...
I must apologize to young master Gui for involving you in Mu Clan matters.

It's no problem, but what about the assassin Mu Kui was talking about?
Hmmm... I guess there's no harm in telling you everything.
Yesterday, we held a birthday banquet for Mu Tianguang. As we were enjoying the wine, an assassin suddenly appeared and stabbed Mu Tianguang.
The assassin's Qinggong was truly outstanding, although the guards responded quickly, they were unable to capture the assassin, and the assassin escaped.
Still, the assassin was badly wounded in the escape and probably did not manage to get far. We must catch them alive in order to get information out of them.
Truly an unexpected turn of events...

Indeed. It is precisely why I want to bring Ade Ake back to the Mu Clan Manor.
Oh?
Yes, Ade Ake won the name "Snow Eagle" through his own strength, and if he comes back, it will definitely boost the morale of the Mu Clan. And, it will keep Mu Kui in check...
(Keep Mu Kui in check...?)
In fact, I have already sent messengers to the Eagle Hunter camp, although I have had no word from them.
I suspect there must be a greater conspiracy behind all this... but I do not know who the plotters are or what their motive could be.
(Hmmm... the Mu Clan is large and powerful, but in the end they stand in the light and their enemy is hidden in the darkness, they are at a disadvantage no matter how you think about it.)

Brother Gui, I have a request to make.
I hope you will agree... please go the the Eagle Hunter camp and tell Ade Ake about all this.
You... you want me to become your messenger?
Yes. The Mu Clan lacks capable people such as you, at the moment.
(Ugh... the fact that Mu Chu asked me to do this shows that things are getting serious for the Mu Clan... but since I made friends with Ake, it only makes sense for me to help out.)
All right, I'll do you this favour.
Yes! With the help of young master Gui, I am greatly relieved.

Also... this is just speculation, but you might be ambushed at the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, so please be careful.
Don't worry! I'll be back soon.

Psst! Hey!
(I've got a premonition of trouble...)
Have you seen my spider, O great leader?
What spider? The spider you always carry with you?
Oh dear, I must have left him at the Duan Manor... this is a problem...
How so?

Well, if the Duan Manor guards don't watch out and mess with the spider, it will take three breaths for the spider to bite them and kill them.
What the hell? How can you lose track of such a lethal creature?
We have to get back before someone gets killed!

Oh no, what's all this fuss? It's not too late, is it?
Listen, spiders don't randomly bite people, so it was clearly the fault of the person who got bitten!
Yes yes, of course you would leap to the defence of the man-killing creature...

Brother, what's going on?
Terrific! The young warrior has returned to Duan Manor!
Okay, okay, let's get to the point, who died?

Several of our brothers were killed, and Lord Dong was taken away!
(What kind of skill does this spider have, to not only poison people to death but even to take them away!)
Oi, dumbass, don't be so naive, my spider isn't that powerful.
Didn't you say it could kill everyone in the Duan Manor in three breaths?
Uhhh... what are you talking about?
What the heck is going on?

Excuse me... if I may ask, who is this Dong person anyway?
He's kind of like the grand vizier of the Duan faction, but not quite as evil.
He is plotting the violent overthrow of the Nanzhao Kingdom, dear.
That's just standard grand vizier stuff, you can tell he's honest because he's plotting against another kingdom and not his own. Besides, he lets He Ziwan stay here for free, so he must be an angel in disguise.
Actually, he's been asking me about scorpion pits and viper traps.
Oh my.
Nothing wrong with a good ol' scorpion pit. Just make sure he pays you in advance, and don't join him on a last minute tour of the traps.

Around midnight last night, as the guards on duty were checking rooms, they discovered that both the guards of Lord Dong's room were dead, and Lord Dong himself was nowhere to be seen.
Did the kidnappers leave a letter or something?
Well...

It is a shameful thing, enough that Brother Gui deserves to sneer at us. I had not expected there to be thieves who dared to invade the Duan Manor. much less ones who could come and go without leaving a trace, or being so much as glimpsed by our troops.
Brother Duan, was there a ransom letter?
Yes, in exchange for Lord Dong's life, the thieves demanded the secret sutras of the Duan Family finger, sword and heart techniques, and asked me to come alone to the cemetery at midnight three days later.
I see...

Lord Dong trains our troops in strategy and tactics, he is indispensable for overthrowing the tyranny of King Yang. I fear I have no choice but to compromise this time.
Hold on, you shouldn't make such a hasty decision!
Does Miss He have a better plan?
Look, Lord Dong wasn't the best martial artist, but he still had some skill, the kidnappers must have used a trick or two. Let me have a look at his room, I know something about tricks myself.
Brother Duan, what Miss He has said is very reasonable, please allow us to investigate.

By the way, Siwang...
Yes?
I am a little worried about Feifei because I have been away for a few days with you and you have not returned to the Hidden Flower Cottage for some time. She is very active and naughty, and I am afraid she will cause a lot of trouble for Doctor Chen.
Perhaps we can pay them a visit and I will cook you a dish of medicinal pork ribs.
Sure, let's go!

Oh no, if military master Dong is killed, where do we go from here??
Thieves got into the building and we didn't notice at all, are we all going to be executed by the general?

Ooh... how could this happen...
Po, how could you die before returning me the money you owe...

(Hmm... he was stabbed in the heart, even if he had been found in time, there was no saving him.)
(But how could they have stabbed the guards like that without alerting them?)

Now that Lord Dong has been taken captive, I ask Brother Gui to help again!

Are you asking to join our party again? After ditching us over a few stolen letters?
I... it was petty of me, I know. But Lord Dong's life takes priority.
Your ambitions to rule Nanzhao, you mean. Losing your military advisor would cripple your little rebellion.
Madam Cheng, we have been through this many times, and neither of us will change the mind of the other. Can you not acknowledge that we are both doing what we think is right?
Hmph.
It's good to see you back, buddy. I've got some real primo stuff to put on your family sword, let's head down to the blacksmith later, eh? And of course, the sutra collection's only gotten bigger.
Thank you, Brother Gui.

Oh, it's my spider! How did it get here?
(Was Lord Dong bitten by the spider? Is that why he did not raise the alarm?)
Wait, the scent of my spider is really familiar.
Oh! I get it!
What did you "get", Miss He?

This is our special spider incense, which is my spider's favourite, no wonder he came to this room.
I'm afraid I don't understand.
The kidnappers must have somehow gotten some spider incense from Qingzhai Village, which makes people fall asleep. Lord Dong must have fallen victim to the incense.
And as for the guards... well, they were stabbed while asleep.

What vicious villains! The variety of tricks they use is truly endless!
It's weird though, this Hundred Spider Incense is a unique product of Qingzhai Village, ordinary people wouldn't be able to get their hands on it.
Could the kidnappers be working for Yang Tianyi?
Alas, we may have found out who did it, but the whereabout of Lord Dong are still unknown.

Don't despair just yet, Siwang, you're underestimating my spider.
Oh? What can it possibly do to help us?
The scent of the incense may have faded to us humans, but the spider can still smell it, and we can follow the scent.
Amazing! I don't know how to thank you, Miss He!
We haven't saved anyone yet, what are you getting excited about? Now follow the spider!

Judging by the spider's reaction, the kidnappers should be in this house.

Do you think that Duan Siping will really come to the appointment?
Bah! Dong Jialuo is the head of the rebel army, without him the rebel army will be in chaos. The traitor is bound to come.
It seems that we've done well, then! Lord Yang will surely reward us!
Scum...
No nonsense from you! Rebels like you deserve to be killed!

Brother Gui, let us go in and save Lord Dong immediately.
Wait, I have a better idea.
What idea does Miss He have?
See that vegetable basket?
Let me poison their food first, so that they will vomit and have diarrhea, and then it will be easier to fight them.
This... it is hardly the righteous thing to do.
Are you here to save people or to mouth off about chivalry? These are bad guys who will kill you without blinking an eye, what's the point of talking about justice at a time like this?

Morality and decency are the essence of being a human being, and there are some things you can't do.
And if Lord Dong is injured in the fight?
... Brother Gui, what do you think?

Let's confront them head on! Kill them by surprise.

Audacious thieves! Surrender now!
Oh no! It's Duan Siping!
The fish has thrown itself into the net, kill him!

A brief fight ensues.

Duan Siping! Drop your sword or Dong Jialuo's life will be be forfeit!
Lord General, ignore him!
Damned thief!

This... this smell...

Hey, be a good boy and try the authentic Hundred Spiders Incense.

After defeating the Nanzhao soldiers, the group escorted Dong Jialuo back to the Duan Manor safely.

Will Lord Dong be all right?
The doctor said that he would recover after a good night's rest.
Ses, I told you he'd be fine.

This Duan really doesn't know how to thank you, if not for your help, Miss He, Yang Tianyu would have won, and the people of Nanzhao would have been trapped in his tyranny.
Hey, I'm just being polite. You saved my life once, so naturally I'll help you once too.
You should be more careful next time though, I might decide not to intervene.
I don't think that will be a problem. After all, you can't leave me alone, can you?
I can't believe you're actually cracking a joke.

(Are they getting along or fighting? It's making my stomach hurt...)
(Well, anyway, looking at these two, they might really be able to achieve great things in the future by joining hands.)

Thank you all for your help in this matter, everyone. Please, enjoy the hospitality of the Duan Manor for as long as you like.
Woohoo!
I'd love to stay, but I have a message to bring to the Eagle Hunter camp on behalf of the Mu Clan.
Ah. Are you taking the road past Jade Dragon Snow Mountain?
Well, the last messenger did so and apparently he never got through, so...
Hmm. Might I suggest going north past Karma Monastery instead, then?
You can spend the night at Qingtian Fortress and then head south to the Eagle Hunter camp in the morning.
That's a pretty long ride...
Safer, though.
Well, I'm not going. I've got to take care of my pets here.
In that case, please allow me to accompany you in her place, Brother Gui.
You just don't want to be around while she unleashes her poisonous creatures on your guards, don't you?
Brother Gui's insight is impeccable as always.

Welcome back to Qingtian Fortress, everyone!
Brother Wang, where did you get this tiger skin from?
Ah, this is from... three years ago? I...
Arrgh!

What was that?
It sounded like a fight! Brother Gui, let's go find out!

It's the wolf barbarians!
Unbelievable! How did they get in?
Brother Wang, now is not the time! Concentrate on the matter at hand!

There is a brief fight in which Siwang discovers these Wolf Barbarians are basically large pinatas of XP.

Thank you, Second Master!
Rest and bind your wounds. We'll take care of the rest.
There are others who need our help, hurry, let's go!

There are several more groups of Wolf Barbarians scattered around Qingtian Fortress, but they are dealt with easily.

You'd think they would have learned by now not to mess with Siwang.
The ones who did are already dead, so...
Perhaps we can leave a few alive to report back?
Don't you dare. I like having practice dummies for my martial arts, and fighting bandits gets boring after a while.

Thank you, Brother Gui, for your help in defeating these western Wolf Barbarians who invaded the fortress. If not for you, it surely would have fallen.
No problem, I was glad to help.
But how did the Wolf Barbarians get here? I thought they were more to the north.

A few days ago I heard that there were traitors guiding the Wolf Barbarians through the mountains to invade Central Shu. I thought it was just gossip...
My brothers guarding the border have reported that there are more Wolf Barbarians poised to invade.
I have sent out our elite scouts to search for them, and they will report back immediately once there is any news. When they do, please help me, Brother Gui!

I fear I must stay here for the time being. With the loss of Master Li, Qingtian Fortress needs a leader, even one as incapable as myself.
Got it. I wish I could help more, but I'm only good at fighting, not organizing troops.
I understand. Please carry your message to Ade Ake, and once your duty to the Mu Clan is over, come back. We shall repel the invaders together!
Sure thing!

Ake!
Eh? Brother Gui, what's going on? Why the hurry?
Ake, it's an emergency, so I'll get to the point.

Mu De... Mu Tianguang, is dead.
?!!!
Father...?
Yes, it happened on the night of his birthday banquet...
(You informed Ade Ake of the circumstances of Mu De's assassination...)
... so Mu Chu asked me to inform you, and request that you return to the Mu Clan as soon as possible.

Understood. I'll go to the Mu Clan as soon as I have settled some matters with the camp here.
Farewell for now, Brother Gui.
Well, at last I've passed on the message. I should check back on the Mu Clan manor later.

Oh young master Gui! Please come in.
Thanks to your swift assistance, Ake was able to return to the Mu Clan this quickly.
Haha, oh, it was no big deal.

I asked you to come back, Ake, because I hope you can help us to find the mastermind behind this incident.
I will do my best to help.
Good, with you here, I can rest assured the matter will be solved.
Also... Ake, keep in mind that the military faction of the Mu Clan supports Mu Kui.
But Mu Kui's temperament is so fierce that he would even plunge Dayan Town into chaos were it to advance his goals.
That bad? I know second brother has always been impatient...

Ake... that's what I thought too, but Mu Kui has been up to many things lately, and what with matters lately...
This...
Big brother, surely you don't mean... you suspect second brother?

Brother, even if he wanted to be in charge, he wouldn't do something so inexcusable as killing his own father!
This is exactly why I want you to go and investigate.

I am also doing this to prove Mu Kui's innocence.
Very well. I will proceed to investigate the matter and prove our brother is innocent.

Brother Gui, when you're ready, call me and let's go to Dayan Town to investigate.

Wow! I thought we'd seen the last of Duan Siping, and given up on seeing his friendship quest, but he offers to join you in He Ziwan's friendship quest, even if he's already ditched the party for not being righteous enough! I had to do a bit of shuffling party members and temporarily dropped Wang Zhe for our old friend. He'll be back once I've finished Cheng Yanhua's friendship quest.

We will be doing that, progressing Ade Ake's main quest, and grinding friendship for Duan Siping for the next update. The question is, do you guys want to see what happens if you side with Mu Kui?

Please vote:

A - Yes, do a bonus update for siding with Mu Kui.
B - No, not interested.

sandorius fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 2, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Might as well A: see what happens on that path, would be interesting to see exactly how hard things go south.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 1, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B. Nah, not needed.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

B

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Eh, I figure we'll see some more of Mu Kui in this progression of things anyway, so I'm fine with skipping it. B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Update 55: Murder at the Mu Manor II

Alright, Ake, let's get this show on the road.
Dayan Town is a big place, where should we start our investigation?
Hmm. Perhaps someone at the Pretty Dream Pavilion might know something...
Be serious, Siwang.
How about the teahouse? It seems rather suspicious, from what Siwang has told me about the stolen tea.
I guess it's as good a place to start as any.

Brother Gui, what makes you think that my Second Brother has anything to do with the teahouse?
Well, a while ago, I ran into Mu Kui and the teahouse owner. They seemed to be planning something...
As I thought... the teahouse staff have all disappeared.

Yes, the assassination and this mysterious disappearance of the teahouse staff happened in close proximity, so they may indeed be related.
Let us try to find out where the staff have gone to. Perhaps we should ask around outside.
Good idea.

You're asking me? I should be the one asking you!
drat, where did the staff all go? It's been days since the teahouse has been open for business, where is my tea?

Did anything strange happen at the teahouse before it closed?
Strange?
Young man, why are you asking?
It's... I just want to know more about the teahouse staff, so that I can ask them to come back and open for business again!
Well, I didn't notice anything strange, but then again, I just come here to drink tea. The teahouse opened about a year ago, but I wouldn't be able to tell you anything more about the shopkeeper or his servants.
It's great tea, though, even our Second Master often comes here to buy tea!

Excuse me, you said Second Brother often comes here to buy tea?
Hey! Well well, if it isn't Third Master? You're here for tea too?
Well, I have suddenly developed an interest in the history of this teahouse.
Haha! Since it's you that's asking, I'll definitely tell you everything I know.

Although... all I can really tell you is that the owner's name is Li Huoxiang. I don't know anything else about him.
(You drank his tea for a year and never picked up anything?)

And... well, all the teahouse servants he hired were foreigners.
Foreigners?
They all had foreign accents, and sometimes they couldn't even understand us... now that I think about it, it's really strange...

Excuse me, are you talking about the teahouse staff?
Yes, do you know something about this sudden closure?
A few days ago, I happened to go to Karma Monastery on a whim. I don't know if it was the long walk, maybe it made my eyesight blurry...
But I could have sworn one of the monks there looked exactly like one of the teahouse staff here.
Maybe it was just a conincidence! Haha!
Hmm...
Ake, what do you think?

Well... it's hard to tell. Li Houxiang doesn't seem to have talked much with his customers, and he closed his shop just before the assassination. If he was involved, perhaps he wished to make sure of his escape before everything went off.
And if this teahouse staff is hiding in Karma Monastery disguised as a monk... then they might still be there right now!
But... if what the customer said is true, then Mu Kui comes to the teahouse often to buy tea. It is a little suspicious...
Let's go to Karma Monastery first. We'll talk about this later.

It's a pretty long walk there. Want to grab some food first? My treat.
It is very kind of you, Brother Gui, but...
It's a tradition where I come from. We call it the "new employee lunch".
Here, Ake, one of our friends from Gongshi Village made this. Turtle and chicken soup.
Erm...

Brother Gui, I am not accustomed to the cuisine of Farewell My Concubine, so I have to decline.

Brother Gui, the chicken is too heavily seasoned for my liking, so I have to decline.
Brother Gui, I am not used to stewed leopard placenta, so I have to decline.
Brother Gui, I am not used to the taste of Mapo Tofu, so I have to decline.

You're kind of a picky eater, aren't you, Ake?
Please forgive me, Brother Gui. I disliked the fancy feasts we had at the Mu Clan Manor as a child too. As a hunter, the meat of my kills suits me better.
Ah, a roasted pork man. I understand completely.

Fire-roasted pork! What a great way to end the hunt with my fellow hunters...

Karma Monastery. It looks like an ordinary temple to me, honestly.
Let's take a look around and talk to the monks here.

Take this meal to the patient, Brother.
Of course, Brother.
I hope the poor victim survives... even with Abbot Sang Deng's help, they were still grievously wounded...
Excuse me, sir monk, did I hear you mention that your master saved a wounded person a few days ago?
Yes, they were badly wounded, and the Master, seeing this, took them into our inner room, and bandaged their wounds.

Brother Gui, could it be...?
It couldn't really be the assassin, could it?
Let's go!

Oh no, an ambush!
You've made it this far, so you're good!
But you're going to die here now!

Siwang then proceeds to wipe everyone out with a single Buddhist Lion Roar. Maybe don't ambush martial artists in cramped quarters, just saying.

Everyone, retreat!
Don't you dare run away!

These guys sure can run away fast.
drat, now we've lost the trail.
What is going on here?

Abbot Sang Deng? Don't you know there are bandits in your temple?
Bandits? I... I had no idea.
You're both injured, please let us treat you.
Thank you for your goodwill, Master Abbot.
However, we have some important business to attend to, so we'll be going now.

Well, in that case, I have a few life-saving pills here, please accept them.
Thank you, Master Abbot.

Siwang can actually reject Sang Deng's offer of pills here, but firstly, free stuff, and secondly, doing so will irritate Duan Siping enough to leave the party again. It apparently counts as wild/unrestrained for some reason.

Hmmph!
This ambush was clearly set up by Sang Deng! He had every intention of killing us here!
Oh?
Ake, how did you know this was a trap?
Ah, could it be?
- The pills were a bribe?
- The martial arts of the attackers?

Yes, the martial art used by those black-clothed people is a Buddhist martial art called the "Great Hand Seal".
And this particular martial art happens to be taught by the White Sect of the Karma Monastery.

Getting the right answer rewards Siwang with slightly more XP. Roughly half of the ambushers were using the Great Buddhist Palm sutra techniques rather than the in-house knife techniques most NoMercy ninjas use. This would have been more obvious if Siwang hadn't wiped them all out on his first move, but a tactical mind would have seen it on their status screens anyway.

The ambush was clearly planned with the cooperation of the monks here, and it must have been ordered by Sang Deng himself.
And if the ambush failed, then Sang Deng himself would appear and deflect the blame from Karma Monastery.
... we can't afford to confront Sang Deng here at Karma Monastery. There are too many monks here, if they all attacked us, we wouldn't be able to escape even if we had wings.
Hence his confidence in confronting us.
But what are we to do now? We've lost the trail.

Do not worry. We still have a chance to resolve this matter.
In the chamber just now, I smelled a strong odor of goldenseal. The asssassin must have been treated for their wounds there recently.
So they were hastily moved just before we got to Karma Monastery?
Yes. Brother Gui, we must part for now.
Where are you going, Ake?

I'm going back to the Eagle Hunter Camp, to find a hound with a good sense of smell.
Ah! To track the scent of the goldenseal!
Precisely.
Please report to First Brother our progress thus far.
After that, we shall meet at the west gate of Dayan Town.

... this is the information we have so far.
Alas... I cannot believe that Master Sang Deng was harboring the assassin within his own temple...

I have heard that Sang Deng has never given up on returning to his homeland. Perhaps this is the reason why he would...
Return to his homeland?
Yes, Master Sang Deng is the leader of the White Sect, which lost in the war a few years ago and fled to Dayan Town. My father accepted them as refugees and built Karma Monastery for them.
It seems Master Sang Deng is trying to gather support to reignite the war and return to his homeland...
What a wily fellow.
He may not be doing this out of malice, but perhaps in response to events around him. Still, we must take precautions accordingly. What of the assassin?

Yes, the assassin was hastily removed from Karma Monastery, but left behind a strong scent of goldenseal. Ade Ake intends to bring some hounds and use the scent to track the asssassin's movements.
The assassin was badly wounded so they can't have moved far. And they need a quiet place to heal from their wounds...
They are probably hiding near, or even within, Dayan Town.
(I see, so that's why Ade Ake wanted to meet up at the west gate of Dayan Town. He must have come to the same conclusion as Mu Chu...)
Well then, I'll meet up with Ake in Dayan Town and find the assassin.

One moment, young warrior.
Eh? (I hadn't expected Thule to strike up a conversation with me.)
Please pass this on to Third Young Master.
What is this?
It is a manual for the Three Spears martial art I practice. Unfortunately, Third Young Master had only learned one and a half moves, before he left for the snowy mountains.
I hope it will be of help to you, in this time of chaos.
Haha! I'm sure it will! I'll pass it to Ake!

I can't believe he just gave it to me like that.
You have done much service to the Mu Clan, and gained the trust of both Mu Chu and Ade Ake. It is a fitting reward.
See, Siwang? You don't have to steal these things all the time.
I hate to be the voice of reason, but Thule clearly expects you to serve the Mu Clan. And giving you that sutra makes you a better servant.
I'll serve them all day if they keep giving me sweet stuff like this. Score!
Let's go find Ake.

Strange, didn't we agree to meet at the west gate? Why don't I see Ake around?
(Faintly, the sound of clashing weapons drifts over...)

(That sounded like... is there a fight going on?)
(Could it be... Ake!?)

Heh heh heh... you must be out of your mind to be acting alone at a time like this!
Blame this on the fact that you know too much!
Scum! Do you only know how to sneak attack?
I don't care what a dead man thinks anyway...

Stop!
drat! Everyone, handle the reinforcements!

Cue a brief and unremarkable fight in which Siwangs mows down a bunch of underleveled ninjas.

The tables have turned, now tell us what you know!
Haha! You think you can get information from me? It won't be that easy!

He actually bit off his tongue and killed himself.
To think that he would die rather than spill his secrets...
Brother Gui, it seems we have crossed a powerful organization.
They knew you when you would be alone. They must be watching you.
It hardly matters. We must find the assassin as soon as possible.
Brother Gui, I have the hound, let's return to the west gate of Dayan Town.

Shall we go? The assassin may be in Dayan Town, so let's hunt them down with this hound?
The town is so big though, where should we start looking?
Haha, that's what this hound is for! All we have to do is to give him the scent of the goldenseal.

Well, this hound seems reliable. Let's go!

Woof woof!

The hound has stopped.
Could it be that the assassin is hiding in here?
Our hound's tracking ability is top notch. They must be.
Let's go in.

Someone seems to be on our trail...
Ugh. Why haven't they been cleaned up yet?
We have to keep a low profile, until that Mu is ready...
(Mu? Could it be...?)

Where is Sir Li?
Lord Qi! You're still badly wounded, please get down and rest some more.
No, no, no... I want to see Sir Li, where is he?
Lord Qi, don't worry, Sir Li will be here soon...

(Sir Li? They must be referring to Li Huoxiang, but who is Lord Qi?)
Finally, I've found you lot!

Impossible!
Who was the one who assasssinated Mu De?
You... you've been chasing us all this time?
Answer me!
Dammit... Sir Li still hasn't arrived...

It was me.
Lord Qi, you're still badly injured, please don't exert yourself!
These people had nothing to do with it.
Lord Qi!
Very well. To avenge my father's murder...

I will have payback, here and now!

Oh no... Ake rushed in just like that! Should I go in and help out...?
What are you doing here!?
Crap, we've been spotted.
Protect Lord Qi!
Oh well, I doubt the assassin would have surrendered quietly anyway.
If they're going to fight back, then bring it on!

Qi Ruoxiang is pretty high level and has respectable stats, but gets run over by the wrecking ball that is Siwang anyway.

drat, these guys are too much!
Get Lord Qi away from here!
Lord Qi, come with me!
No! I won't leave until Sir Li arrives!
What is this nonsense? Get out of my way! The assassin's life is mine!

Ake! Remember, we have to bring in the assassin alive, Mu Chu still has questions to ask!
Don't try to stop me, Brother Gui! This assassin dies, here and now!

(At that moment, you hear a noise from behind...)
Watch out! A hidden weapon!

... huh?
Oh no!

Get Qi Ruoxiang away!
...!
Lord Qi, this way, quickly!
Don't you dare run away!

Haah!
Oof!
Tch. I knew you would get in our way.
If it hadn't been for Mu Kui's soft heart, I would have gotten rid of you a long time ago!

... Mu Kui?
Heh heh heh... hahaha! Mu Kui's coup has already begun, there's nothing you can do about it now!
No, it can't be! There's no way Second Brother would...

No way? Do you think you can predict what your brother is willing to do, Ade Ake?
The assassination of your father was only the first step in his ambition.
Next, he will kill Mu Chu and take his rightful throne as the chief of the Mu Clan!
No! Mu Kui... Second Brother!
He couldn't bring himself to order you killed, Ade Ake.
But right now, he's busy leading an attack on his own house... so he has no say in what I'm about to do! Hahaha!

You...! You sycophantic villain!
Li Huoxiang! You are part of my father's murder! I won't let you go!
Are you going to talk all day? Come and get it!

The Cold Face of Hell, Li Huoxiang, actually has a little bit more Hidden Weapon skill than Siwang. But all he has is a green-quality Soul-Chasing Nail and a weird accessory, and Siwang has got the actual Hammer of Thor (modernized version), so the fight is over quickly.

Human Bone Rosary: "It was originally meant to be a tool for meditation, but some cursed monk killed a person to get the bone this is made of, and carved a blasphemous spell on it, so all it does is to disturb the mind."

Alas, as a mid-boss, he flexes his antagonist powers to run away when defeated, without even so much as a cutscene.

This Li Huoxiang sure can run, he was gone in a flash!
Now that Second Brother has revealed his ambition, he must have led his troops to surround the Mu Clan Manor...

Brother Gui, this is a very dangerous trip. You are not a member of the Mu Clan, or even a citizen of Dayan Town.
This means war. You don't have to take this risk with me, you can still leave Dayan Town in peace.

Aren't you underestimating me again, Ake?
Mu Kui's ambition is to plunge this town of Dayan into the scourge of war. Even if I'm a foreigner here, I can't just stand by and watch.
Besides, I agreed to help Mu Chu track down the assassin, and I intend to finish this commission.

Well said, Brother Siwang. We cannot afford to let the Mu Clan fall under Mu Kui's sway.
Says the man planning to plunge the Nanzhao Kingdom into the scourge of war.
It's still the right thing to do. I'm proud of you, Siwang.

There is a whole lot of fighting in front of the Mu Clan Manor. Monks, guards, and ninjas, both dead and alive, litter the battlefield.

Brother Gui, only we can turn the tide of this battle. We musst intervene! Let's break through the fighting and get to the Mu Clan Manor!

Do you really think just the few of you can bring the fighting to a stop? What a joke!
Why don't you just surrender and join the NoMercy House? I'll give you a treat!
Dream on!
Today, I, Ade Ake, will destroy your conspiracy and protect the Mu Clan!

It's the Third Young Master! Third Young Master is here to help!
Hooray! Make way, make way! Let Third Young Master through!

The friendly Mu Clan guards are badly outnumbered, and one falls to the NoMercy ninjas before Siwang can get to him. Ade Ake get through eventually, and bursts into the courtyard of the Mu Clan Manor.

Brother, surrender!
Give up the position of chief, and let me lead Dayan Town!
... Mu Kui, your actions will only plunge Dayan Town into war.

Second Master, please stop! Have you forgotten Mu De's instructionns?
My father is dead, why should I continue to follow his words?
Dayan Town will do nothing but decline if we forget our roots and rest on our laurels!

Master Mu Chu, give up your weapons and surrender, we still have a chance to work together.
Sang Deng, my father built a temple for you. How could you raise arms against the Mu Clan for your own personal gain?
Lord... all that I do is for the revival of the White Sect...

Brother!
...!
Tch! How dare you come here to mess things up!

Yo, Sang Deng. Finally work up the nerve to show your true colors now that you've got backing?
You...!

Ake... Ake, this is not the place for you.
Go back to your snowy mountains. Stay away!
Brother! I'm not here to fight you!
It was the NoMercy House that planned our father's death. Let us join forces and avenge our father's death!

... Ake. what's done is done. There's no turning back for me now.
...!?
For the sake of the future of the Naxi, I will not give in!
Everyone, attack! Suppress the Council Chamber!

For the Nazis!
For the white pie!

Machine translation strikes again. The guard in the background should be yelling "For the Naxi!", who are presumably the Mongol analogues who conquered China and established the Yuan dynasty, and the monk should be yelling "For the White Sect" (the character for "sect" is indeed mostly used nowadays as a homonym for pie).

Ake! If Mu Kui kills Mu Chu, it'll be too late!
Agreed! Brother Gui, let's go save my elder brother!

Siwang's party then proceeds to fight its way up the steps, with enemy reinforcements spawning in via the courtyard gate every round.

Amusingly enough, if Sang Deng is kept alive, he will surrender once Mu Kui is reduced to half health.

... Second Master, I have seen the error of your ways, and I, Sang Deng, will not help you fight for power again...
Huh?
...? Sang Deng, you..!

Of course, like any self-respecting villain, Mu Kui powers up when taken down for the first time.

Good, good! I'm amazed that you have held out so far... I am truly amazed.
But I will not give in!
Brother!
Mu Kui, stop! You can't win!

Hmmph! You think I'm losing? As long as I have this in my hand... I still have a chance!
That relic! Father's...!

Indeed! This is a piece of the Book of Heaven, that Father kept locked away.
(A fragment of the Book of Heaven!)
Now let me show you... the power I have learned from the Book of Heaven... and this Flying Snow Arrow!

Even with his new technique, Mu Kui falls easily under the combined onslaught of Siwang and Ade Ake.

Ugh...
Hehe... Ake, you have become very strong during your time away from the Mu House...
Second Brother, stop, please! Let's go to the NoMercy House and avenge our father's death!

Ake, listen carefully... your father's enemies... there are three...
The first... an emissary from the NoMercy House, Li Huoxiang...
The second... his tool, the assassin, Qi Ruoxiang...

And the third... why, he's right in front of you now...
...!
No! Second Brother, you went astray because you were fooled by the NoMercy House! We... we...
Ake, Ake... you've grown to be the leader of the Eagle Hunters, but you still haven't changed... you've got a soft heart...
Things in this world aren't as simple as you think...

So what if I was bewitched by their plans? So what if I was led astray? I killed our father... I rebeled against the Mu Clan... this is the truth!
I...
Mu Kui, in the end we are still brothers. There is nothing that cannot be forgiven.

Forgiveness? I don't need it!
War... is bound to bring sacrifice... but I didn't do anything wrong...
I still believe... the Mu Clan should be ruled by me... for our people's sake...
Even if I have lost... I will never regret this act...
To die for the future of my people... that is a supreme honor!

I have only one regret... Ake...
I will never see you master the Flying Snow Arrow...
In the next life, if we are reborn as brothers...
I shall teach you again, and show you its true form...
...!

Dear patrons, do not grieve. Life and death are pre-destined.
You may leave the funeral matters to our temple...
Sang Deng, you are not welcome here. Leave now.
Lord, no man is perfect, and sinners may be forgiven...

Master, please go back to Karma Monastery. For my father's sake, your temple can continue to preach in Dayan Town.
But the Mu Clan is done with such disputes as yours. Please do not bother us again.

sandorius fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 9, 2023