Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
None at all. He's an adult, and while your moms neighbours would appreciate you trying to keep him alive, he is a clan member, no more and no less. Same for Arestra, though as a warrior woman she will probably protect you more than vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Thanks for answering!
B

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
A, I want to hurt some Solars

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A This is our path, woe to those who obstruct it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

((I broke the tie by rolling my runic D20, getting.. Harmony and Stasis. It appears the stars wants us to take the standard path.))

A Tough Decision

This shouldn’t confound you so much. The traditional path is easy, even if there are worrying problems along it. However, you direly want to see the enigmatic and craven ducks, and perhaps even have an adventure against the undead with their brave zombie hunters!

On the other hand, you are given to an important job, going to Jonstown. Also, there’s a young person with you. And even had there not been, a greater detour would not have been acceptable considering the weight of your duty. Through the river it is.

Given your final goodbyes, your little party sets out, eventually clearing the last vine shrubs and grave mounds of your people, leaving you well and truly in no man’s land. It is not far before you see the Stream, and giving a small offering of mead by the bank to avoid any trouble with the awakened spirit of the river, you follow it to see if you can find transport.

Eventually, you are delighted to see a group of three ducks rowing a ferry barge. It holds a load of bales of goods, but could take you and the pony as far as you can tell. You hail them, and they use their broad stakes to press the barge against the riverside.

Their leader, who introduces himself as Aark Narrowtail, presents a suspicious front. He demands to know your clan and tribal affiliations, and once you’ve answered, he lays his feathers down some. “You Arnoring did not participate in the Hunts” he says loudly, and the crew quacks approvingly.

Narrowtail says you have another 32 kilometers to go for Clearwine, and that he will be willing to take you for 6 lunars apiece (“the pony is a piece”, he adds), and an assurance that you will help fight off monsters and bandits.

The price is steep and you decide to dicker, but fall flat when you say that defense would lower the price more, and that you don’t fear any enemies on the road - to which Narrowtail squawks grimly that ducks have died on the trail just last month, and insinuates that trying to get more for less is impugning the honour of his entire people. Fraught, you end up paying 8 per head just to make sure they don’t abandon you now or later.

The ducks seem pleased with your cooperation and eventually warm up to you, talking about a good harvest they’ve had, and the successful persecution of zombie risings on the Marsh. This part of the journey is both pleasant and uneventful.

Phortan’s River

This small byway takes you across the Sun Dome lands, and your worry rises, as you see a group of armored men take up positions on either side of a bridge. A great sckwacking rises from the crew, as Bigbeak the Old informs the others that the Sun Dome has aided the Lunar Empire.

You know better than to contribute to a flagging morale, but silently remember their sins against your own people: When the Lunar Empire initially occupied Sartar, their first action was to close down worship ceremonies at the Hill of Orlanth Victorious. This central area, now closed off from the people who could initiate the Lightbringers Quest and bring back immense powers of victory to use against the Lunar kings, had to be guarded - and guarded it was, by the Sartar Sun Dome Templars.

On the claim that they knew the local tribes and could keep out known troublemakers, they were given the contract, and for enough silver, they gladly spit their own countrymen on their long, jagged spears. Bigbeak suspects the Sun Dome helped in the horrible Duck Hunts perpetrated against his people, and frankly, you wouldn’t hold it above them in the least.

Squinting, you make out the great sun emblems on their carapaced forms, and see several templars leading a group of militia: disparate peoples like Praxians, Grazers, some Sartarites (Enjossi by their scuffed tattoos) and even a newtling, all wearing drab fatigues and leather armour with the Dome rune on it.

One of the templars motion for your barge to stop with a levelling of his long spear, and you oblige him.

“Travelers, submit to inspection. Weapons and various poisons have been sent down our section of the river to criminals operating around our sacred Dome.”

“I am a god-talker of Lankhor Mhy. I keep the law, as others break it.” you reply. “and these goods are carried by esteemed ducks, who want to sell them in Clearwine.”

“Be that as it may, lawspeaker, Yelmalios light shines in these lands, and will shine into these barrels as well. Have the ducks dismount into the water, and lay down your weapons.”

You see Narrowtail clack the teeth in his beaks out the corner of your eye, a clear sign that he is agitated. He takes a snuff-like substance from a pouch on his torso and starts chewing it. “No one commands my men” he says almost inaudibly, fingering a dagger on his belt.

This situation could quickly escalate. You are not in Arnoring lands, and not beholden to either their protection or desires on how to deal with the templars. You ARE in the Sun Dome Temples lands, but that does not normally mean you have to obey any law of theirs they cannot enforce by right, custom or armed force. Thinking quickly, you..

A) ..Charm or Fast-Talk the ducks into cooperating. Fighting an entire squad of soldiers would be stupid this early in your journey, and the ducks aren’t breaking any law by trading as far as you know.

B) ..Manifest a damaging spirit magic spell at the Templar, injuring him and seizing the initiative. You know Arestra and the youngling will fight hard for you, and the ducks will carry the day.

C) ..Refuse the search, but don’t move or attack. A principled oratory and your firm grasp on Orlanthi customs and law codes will convince these Solar cult yokels to pack off and go back to their dome.

D) ..Something else?

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 8, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Cant out law the bearded guy

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
C them off.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I'm sure those templars are just upholding the law. No need for violence. A

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

c the ducks are likely hiding something they will be grateful we covered for them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I AM THE LAW(speaker)

You puff yourself up to your full height, and point at the templar. “When Issaries met the long-noses and the big-teeth, he made them enter a pact that set the world Right. Upon teaching each that they could give up what they could live without, and in turn attain what they desired from each other, they understood Trade.”

He shuffles uneasily. “Cease prattling, we demand you..”, but you cut him off.

“Trade is possible only if you understand that you must give some of yourself. Taking this as an eternal rule and inspiration, we must treat each other honourably and not destroy our trading agreements with each other by carrying ill suspicions. These ducks have a..” you pause, looking askew at Ark Narrowtail. “You guys do have a trading agreement with the Ernaldorings, yes?” Aark nods, suddenly understanding that your words have power.

“..These ducks have a trading agreement with the Ernaldorings, and if you prevent them from getting across, I will let Rex Leika Black-Spear know that you interfere with the power of Sartar.”

The templar stands flabbergasted. You press on.

“Colymar customs demand that I place my clan, Arnorings, behind our justly chosen leaders, and if you want to test that, I am a god-talker with no small power of my own, Templar. Let us pass, or I will take this up the temple stairs.”

He looks down. “Give queen Leika our regards, we respect the customs of our common ancestors and gods.” Face flushing with shame, he orders the militia aside and the bridge to be opened.

“Oakfeds arsefire that was close” Aark lisps when you are some ways downriver, opening and closing his hand over the dagger in his belt. “We thank you, Arnoring. A search would not have been good.”

You decide not to press the subject, but he eventually levels with you.

“We bring duckweed to the family in Clearwine, hidden under the reed mats we also provide. It’s not an illegal chew, but those templars have a real problem with drugs of any kind. Something to do with all the hazia their loyal peasants seem to grow in secret”. He preens, visibly relieved now. “I can’t believe we made it. You have made a barge of friends, human.”

5 days later, Clearwine!

As your barge gently rolls upriver, smooth fluffy clouds draw back to reveal the rocky mound that Clearwine Fort rests upon, and you can even spot the royal citadel! Leading back to the Dawn, the citadel is the oldest part of Clearwine, and home to her monarchs, living and dead. It’s a place that you have never been important enough to enter, but the thought of the knowledge within piques you.

You come to berth, and a fresh-faced duck with a blue beak greets you. He seems to be Aarks kin, and after salutary greetings and much happy squawking, he returns to the fort to gather some laborers and a pack animal for hauling your load to town.

“A good deal as it ends well, human” Aark caws. “What are you going to do now?”

You pause. Technically, your quest needs you to head northeast towards Jonstown, but this is Clearwine! Greatest city for a hundred miles, and anything you desire could be handled here. Eventually, you decide on..

A) Shopping. Fresh digs, perhaps a better set of armour, would make you happy and gird you for the way ahead.

B) Worship. Perhaps the stars align enough for you to gain power back from Lankhor My, and there’s a shrine as the forts great Lightbringers Temple.

C) Politicking. There could well be either Arnorings here or people you know from your campaigns in Esrolia and Pavis. It won’t hurt to be appraised of current events, perhaps even hobnob with someone important.

D) Sleep. Get down, get up, go to Jonstown.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

B magic solves all our problems lets keep the cycle going.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

C

Better to be in the know about what's going on if we are to continue traveling

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
C let's get that intel.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Let's talk with our big guy and see how things are going on the other side of time.
B

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

B

Gotta check in with old Greybeard

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I feel like we should do C before B

Tias
May 25, 2008

((We can do B before C or vice versa, and I can explain my reasoning behind votes:

Things in Glorantha take time. If I know there's a time sensitive event, it might trigger between Orlenda doing things. Not in this vote, though, but keep in mind that a proper obesiance at temple will take most of a day. You got to shlep to the Ernalda temple outside of the Clearwine temple and worship Nandan, then ascend 11 metres through a teeming bronze age city, secure access to the Lightbringers temple, worship an hour, and then wind down for evening snacks and get a place to sleep - all the while talking to and networking with members of your temple whose information and social credit is the lifeblood of your world.

Orlenda would probably find it improper to try and do all THREE things before putting her mind to securing further travel, as the world is kinda unraveling and her duty to get to Jonstown is pressing. I should maybe have explained these things better in-game, and endeavour to do so from here on.))

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 1, 2024

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lightbringer Temple

Working your way past the great temples to Orlanth and Ernalda, you feel reassured in wedding your soul to Lhankor Mhy. While the Storm King and Earth Woman rebirth the universe and take light back to Dragon Pass every year, Lhankor Mhy stands on the outside of power in his tower of ivory, prompting the very light of knowledge to erupt behind its walls.

Because you are prepared, you produce a small golden square with the runes of Truth and Stasis on it. Given to you in Nochet, it allows one-time entrance into any temple of Lhankor Mhy in the world (at least as far as you know), and it also works here.

The temple-keeper, a dour man named Eskar, shows you to the sanctum, and between the many scrolls of knowledge and beautiful reliefs of Mhys Library, pictured within the bowels of the Spike and set with all human knowledge, you become at ease. Inhaling the thick clouds of Esrolian incense, magic and fluidity of mind weaves its way from beyond and through you, and your prayers feel heard.

So spiritually rejuvenated, you find a good bed in the Lightbringer Temple, putting down a couple of clacks to the servants in thanks and devotion.

The next day

It is Clayday of Death Week, and a holy day for several Orlanthi gods who are not represented among the Lightbringers, and only upon leaving the Lightbringer temple complex do you come across the first holy day procession: Grim-helmeted Humakti thanes re-enact the severing of kinship with the Storm Tribe, and seeing your beard and runic tabard they pull faces at you to shoo you away, before coming around the bend and dipping their helmets in re-affirmed friendship. One sings “Ho, Greybeard! Eurmal stole our trust, and though we are no longer brothers, we see your wisdom!”, and you jeer them on in good humour. Their skin shines black and you can see that they have no navels, the ritual re-enacting their loss of kinship with Orlanth and Lhankor Mhy in the Gods time.

Closer to the wall, you see another parade, and this one feels even more unsettling than the Death Swords: For this day is also holy to Maran Gor, the Earthshaker, and women covered in mud and soot goad on several “earthshakers”, huge saurial beasts with armour for skin and huge, trunk-like legs that shake the earth below them! You give them a wide berth, as they destroy human effigies and sing songs of murder designed to exult and appease their chtonic goddess. Thankfully they do not kill humans in sacrifice here, as your education has taught you they do up north. Nevertheless, it is a frightening spectacle. Deep drum-like noises respond to them from within the earth, and you know their dour mistress listens.

Your heart pounding, you ground yourself as you enter the city proper. This is one of the joys of the city, to experience the nearness of the gods when many worshippers gather, you think to yourself - but you cannot stay all day to take it in, for you want to also see if you can learn news from the Colymar tribe itself. You poke around, and decide that your best bet is either at..

A) The Clearwine palace. Though you probably won’t be allowed an audience with the Rex or other members of the Colymar ruling ring, your status could get you face time with a thane or god-talker like yourself.

B) The Earth temple. However busy some of the priestesses might be with the Maran Gor parade, this temple is one of the most important Earth tribe centres in all of Sartar, and having the perspective of other women and nandans might be a good bet.

C) The Market. Everyone comes to the market, right? The leader of the market, Jaranstand White Grapes, is known to be a man who deals fairly with others and who could be relied upon to only let honourable information brokers trade within the market confines.

Tias fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 5, 2024

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

b

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

C

Best not to risk Maran Gor...

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
A let's talk to people that matter

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
B

Let's risk Maran Gor.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Entering the world of the Earth tribe

Contacting the Earth temple is just good sense. It’s outside the walls of Clearwine, and so you can do it while packing up your stuff and getting ready for the journey onwards. The square building does not seem particularly imposing with its squat walls and unadorned spikes on top, but you know better as a nandan: the secrets of the earth are always within her, and the inner mysteries are just that.

A young temple servant cracks the door, looking back at a couple other women within. “Who goes there?” she calls.

“Nandan calls.” you reply, to which she asks more formally: “Why do you dwell within, and what do you know to do?”

“I dwell within because I am Ernaldas son-daughter, and I know how to brew, view the stars and weave the carrying baskets”

So appeased, the women let you in. In the yard, massive shrines rear up to just below the top of the walls: You recognize Babeester Gor, mad-eyed blood-drinker who kills oathbreakers towards the Earth, Asrelia, wise crone who guards the treasures of Deep Earth, and Maran Gor, she who Shakes the Earth. Another shrine depicts a flowery man wielding a club and looking longingly towards the sanctum of Ernalda wihin the central temple building, and after a fashion you understand it to be Flamal, god of plants and the goddesses husband-protector.

“Curious man, isn’t he?” says a voice from behind you, and you turn. A raven-haired woman of about 40 moon-years looks up at the statue, seemingly rapt in attention. “Born from amber, eaten by trolls, and yet he came back for her after the dark ages.”
“An honourable man” you agree, knowing the legends of which she speaks. Flamal grew out of living amber on a beautiful shore beneath the Spike, once home to to the gods. When he was eaten by the insane troll berserker, worshipped under the name Zorak Zoran, Ernalda took her support away from the world, even as it was being attacked by Chaos. A grim reminder that Earth must be treated right, or the consequences can be terrible.

“Who are you, fair Nandan?” She asks. Replying long form and accounting for your recent life in Nochet, she gains the bounty of her questions. “A time well lived, I’m sure. I am Emaya, and most people here know who I am. If you want the Earths wisdom, you can talk to me.” she says in a friendly tone, though her level face does not betray her emotions.

“I do,” you agree, “for I need to hear about recent events. What has happened to the Colymar tribe in the recent years?”

She shrugs. “A worldly desire, and what are we, if not of the world? Rex Leika Ballista has had some rough years. Seeing Colymar mishandled by her cousin, she fought hard to regain power. Even now she has declared before a tribal assembly that she was never lawfully deposed, and they were forced to agree. The tribe is now in a tight spot, because the Starbrow has struck her blow against the Lunar Empire. Being able to free Sartar itself brings power and respect, and though Leika and Kallyr fight together, they are both mannish like Orlanth*, and want to fight their way to power and respect. I probably don’t have to tell you that this is insensible, and we earth people do our best to make them see wisdom.”

You nod, crunching the information in your mind. Kallyr really did it, going to the Gods lands and bringing back a weapon that bested the Lunar Empire. You hate the lunars for what they did to your family, and your honour bids you follow Kallyr for her actions. On the other hand, you are fiercely loyal to your clan and family, and they back Colymar, led by king** Leika - and there are few things more sacred than the bond between your people and their lawfully elected leaders. Your training as a lawspeaker has prepared you all your life to recognize these customs.

On the other hand, these are portentous times, and kings and leaders rise without the sanction of traditional loyalties. Argrath White-Bull unites people of all lands with his cultic dances and lack of submission to sacred law, and you have seen the great things he has done. Your heart swims in rough waters, for you cannot follow anybody. Thankfully, you do not yet have to make a decision, and you thank Emaya for filling you in. You lay some gifts in exchange, make your way out of the temple square, and leave for one of the wall-side inns to meet with your party. As the Maran Gor procession returns to the city, you have a quick natter while you watch the earthshaker beasts lumber through the gates.

Jasto, put off by the spectacle, says he misses his stead, and you and Arestra josh him around a bit before explaining that big cities are like that, and if he hates the noise, maybe he should become a Barntaring and plow for a living among the bayberry vines. He has entered the care of an Arnoring by the river barges, and will spend some time learning barge loading before going back home.

Arestra rolls her shoulders. “I’ve concluded my business here, Orlenda! This leaves me free to go towards Jonstown with you. Adventure can certainly be found there or on the way, and there I’ll happily accompany you!” she exclaims, eyes flashing with intent. You can’t exactly judge what that intent is, but her sword arm would be very welcome in these trying times.

You pack up the pony, and head due north..

((Had to get some writing out of the way, a new update and vote will come soon! Couple of off-game notes:

* “Mannish” and “Orlanthi” are mutually interchangeable to the orlanthi mind, much like “womanish” and “Ernaldan” would be. Genders are mythically ordained, and if you gendered your way out of very stereotypical storm god-earth goddess dichotomy, you would be vingan, helering or, in our protagonists case, Nandan.

** Leika is Rex, or the tribal King. She is the head of the Orlanth Rex cult and so the epitome of mythic lordship - to the point where she is married to one of the head Earth Priestess of Clearwine, Ereneva Chan. ))

Tias fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 8, 2024

Tias
May 25, 2008

On the Road Again

Having gone north for a while, the land opens and you start to see markers - powerful raised stones with an image of a man holding regalia sticks and wearing a hard hat: This area must clearly be important to Orlanth Rex - the aspect of Orlanth as king. A hill is raised in the distance, and you attempt to remember what is known about this place.. But you can’t.

You ask Arestra. She looks strained for a bit, then says “this is Salinarg’s cairn. He died some.. dozens of years ago. Involved with the Household of Death, I think.”

She jogs your memory, and it comes back. King Salinarg had a difficult becoming, only ascending from princedom after several failed coronations - wedded to a Telmori were-wolf, he had powerful children who took oaths to Humakt to defend Sartar even inside the land of Death, and did so before they were even initiated as adults! The oral records you’ve heard are weird and contradictory, but you’re sure Salinarg died in 1602, his body crushed and burned by angry Lunar generals who took almost crippling losses defeating the free orlanthi of the kingdom.

You inform Arestra, who confirms what she know. “A true and mighty warrior, outdone only by his kids! We should visit the cairn”. You agree, it’s on the path after all. However, you barely conclude your conversation before you taste the tang of spirits on the air, and see a ghostly apparition running towards you!

The ghost looks like an elderly man, wearing the clothing of a sartarite noble, but his vague outline and light blue sheen give him away as a manifested spirit. He calls out in a piteous keen.

“I failed my Prince! I swore to give Sartars ring to his heir. He is dead now, laid beneath these stones. His heir is dead, slain by the Red Emperor. Help me fulfill my oath. Bring my prince’s heir to his grave, so that I might give him Sartar’s ring.”

He waves a large golden signet ring in your face, showing a man being acclaimed by a goddess on one side, and a dragon on the other. Your blood runs cold. Any learned sartarite would know this mark, it’s the ring of Sartar himself!

“This ghost is known to haunt the area. Refusing it could be bad, but I know you’re in a hurry.. This is your call.” Arestra mutters in your ear. You..

A) Accept the ghosts charge. Your honour demands nothing less, though it is very inconvenient, and whoever serves Sartars legacy will be hallowed indeed. Perhaps the terms of the quest has a long enough time period to fulfill it in..

B) Deny the ghost. How do you find a dead heir? It will regret ever throwing its fluffy weight around if it does not take no for an answer, and you have more important business to attend to.

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 9, 2024

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

B there is no shame in refusing to aid in an impossible task

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
A because I want to see where this is going.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A There is glory in accepting the quest of this noble legacy.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

how much rune power do we have available again??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

3 Rune Points dedicated to Lhankor My.