Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

LiquidFriend posted:

I feel either OBJ is extended or walks. Right now I'd guess he is extended.

Thornhill will be replaced with Cook and JuJu will be replaced with someone like Allen or Cooks that wants a big boost for a final contract.

I'm fine with all of these moves to be fair.

If Cook steps up to replace Thornhill, they'll move to pick up another Safety - probably in the draft because the Chiefs like to field Nickel packages and 3 safety looks. With all the 3 day picks and the team's record drafting and developing them, I'd take another 2 DBs like Veach did last year.

Letting Juju get an inflated contract and getting a 3rd/4th round comp pick for 2024 and then picking up someone who's cut and wants to ring chase seems like a great formula for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
It begins

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/1625858027378323456?s=46&t=4P5zxPwRFVxQMZEcBHgXnA

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The Saints and Bucs race to convert bonuses is off! Only about another $110m combined to go!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've never seen a fanbase so happy to see their coordinator leave to become a head coach than the Eagles fandom and Jonathan Gannon.

They wasted no time helping him pack his bags.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kirios posted:

I've never seen a fanbase so happy to see their coordinator leave to become a head coach than the Eagles fandom and Jonathan Gannon.

Matt Patricia was basically the same situation too

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Loomis sighs and picks up his sword

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
If a touchdown itself puts you up 7 you should go for two points rather than kick the extra point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kirios posted:

He got absolutely clowned on from a coaching perspective in the biggest game of the year where he had multiple weeks to prepare. He got burned on the same play twice which was identified as a glaring weakness in his scheme in week four. The eagles defense was smoke and mirrors propped up by an insanely effective front four that got torched all year long even when they got home. Dak got sacked six times and hung forty on them, for example. The chiefs offense just flat out bullied his team, and he made zero adjustments as it got worse.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

He got absolutely clowned on from a coaching perspective in the biggest game of the year where he had multiple weeks to prepare. He got burned on the same play twice which was identified as a glaring weakness in his scheme in week four. The eagles defense was smoke and mirrors propped up by an insanely effective front four that got torched all year long even when they got home. Dak got sacked six times and hung forty on them, for example. The chiefs offense just flat out bullied his team, and he made zero adjustments as it got worse.

Yeah buts he’s young and kinda good looking

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Gannon will never coach as talented of a defensive group ever again.

He had the guys, and especially the front four that covered up for deficiencies that Eagles fans have been screaming about since week 1 of 2021. But Slay/Bradberry/CJGJ/Maddox are no slouches either, and while the players have to play, I don't think they were put into positions to succeed. Falling for the jet motion twice to me alone falls on coaching. Fool me once, etc.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

shyduck posted:

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Gannon will never coach as talented of a defensive group ever again.

He had the guys, and especially the front four that covered up for deficiencies that Eagles fans have been screaming about since week 1 of 2021. But Slay/Bradberry/CJGJ/Maddox are no slouches either, and while the players have to play, I don't think they were put into positions to succeed. Falling for the jet motion twice to me alone falls on coaching. Fool me once, etc.

Exactly this, yeah. In terms of the front four and the individual talent in the secondary, the Eagles' defense was pretty loving stellar. But that talent masked over some very real problems. I don't think it's necessarily fair to say they were fraudulent — because, after all, those problems don't get masked over unless the talent is there to do it — but Gannon's schemes and coaching left them deeply flawed and it got exposed badly on the biggest possible stage.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

"The question to getting under the cap has begun" ... I guess we know what he is implying but that is a terrible sentence.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 15, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Lifespan posted:

"The question to getting under the cap has begun" ... I guess we know what he is implying but that is a terrible sentence.

I assumed it was autocorrect turning quest into question somehow

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The question of me having sex with Rihanna has begun…

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1625911045809221656?t=C4IpBMEKsdqspIuGCKlR3A&s=19

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Do we think Ridley can get back to 2020 form?

If Ridley comes back and is roughly back to 2020 form, where would Jax WR corp rank?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Do we think Ridley can get back to 2020 form?

If Ridley comes back and is roughly back to 2020 form, where would Jax WR corp rank?

I don't think there's any way of telling just yet if he will, but it's definitely not an impossibility. And if he does, probably third in the AFC behind the Bengals and the Dolphins? If they have a decent offseason, they'll be pretty stacked overall next year.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He's 28. Why wouldn't he still be good?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Maybe his cardio is shot from spending a year hanging out in smoke-filled gambling parlors?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
With Lawrence and Pederson making the receiving corps of Zay Jones, Christian Kirk, and Marvin Jones an above average offensive unit, adding Ridley to the mix would likely move them in or near the top 5. Ridley's only 28, so it's definitely not unrealistic for him to get back close to his peak, or even improve with better QB play.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

He's 28. Why wouldn't he still be good?

Weirder things have happened than a guy being away from the game for a year and a half and not returning to his previous form.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Freaquency posted:

I assumed it was autocorrect turning quest into question somehow

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

Also, it is still crazy to me they banned a player for a year for betting on games he didn't play in while the NFL lets sports books take over their sponsorships. Sure, it should be against the rules and he should have been punished, but a whole season?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ShakeZula posted:

Maybe his cardio is shot from spending a year hanging out in smoke-filled gambling parlors?

No more burst because loan sharks broke his ankles. :(

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Roger will banish Ridley to the Josh Gordon zone instead

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Forgive my ignorance but was Ridley ever really great? I remember one good season from him with the falcons but nothing that made me think there was anything special there.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zimbomonkey posted:

Forgive my ignorance but was Ridley ever really great? I remember one good season from him with the falcons but nothing that made me think there was anything special there.

He's a good player that excels like 8-10 yards down the field, he can run a lot of different routes too. He's reasonably fast but not elite, forcing defenses to play back fast.

I think he'd be the 1/2 in Jacksonville with Kirk. I think Ridley's better overall but Kirk is an excellent slot receiver with an existing rapport.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

zimbomonkey posted:

No.

He could be pretty good, but Ridley had a bunch of drops. I mean, it's hard to follow prime Julio Jones. Few people are prime Julio Jones, but you never felt you were getting much above average with Ridley or ever felt that he was the go-to guy when the game was only the line.

Not that Atlanta was winning much.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I love convoluted advanced stats that align with my priors :hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFL/status/1625928188080652288

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
EPA is one of the worst stats ever because it's subjective, weighted, and just confirms what you already know. They compare plays based on similar game states in the past and will discount a play the closer you are to the opponents endzone for reasons? It'll also weigh together completely different outcomes equally into one total EPA. The EPA/Dropback stat weighs in completions, yard completions, sacks, ints, rushing yards, etc all together and spit out one vague number.

It's a no poo poo moment that people are getting faster, stronger, and defenses aren't able to guard people as they used to. This will always trend EPA up which makes people like the stat and validate it. Kind of like how beanie baby collector books that promised the beanie babies would sell for more were better selling than beanie baby books that put the prices lower.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I can't hear you over Kelce's negative blocking value this year

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Important news

https://twitter.com/sportsgossip/status/1625255578456174592?t=wrBm2tRndDi6m4ydDJ3LJQ&s=19

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Legit improvement, proud of that boy

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Mr. Nice! posted:

All of this, perfectly sums it up. There's a reason the defense was bottom of the league last year and the defense this year feasted on a weak schedule and fantastic depth on the line. Dude sucked out loud and Andy took him to the shed.

Giving up 3 and 30 to dak should have been a huge eye opener to anyone that thought he was good.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 16, 2023

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

gently caress this

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

End of an era. At some point a N/V thread turned into dunking on Mark Davis, maybe around the time he was taking over the team and stepping into the public light, and it might be the hardest I've laughed in TFF

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Chiefs fans, why doesn't Eric Bieniemy have a head coaching job?

This is a rhetorical question. We all know it's racism.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The past seasons have been racism but this season I don't blame Bieniemy for avoiding the HC positions that were available

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Everyone shut up

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1625952560317366272?t=utNA1QegeQwzDz6oJ7Hukw&s=19

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Chiefs fans, why doesn't Eric Bieniemy have a head coaching job?

This is a rhetorical question. We all know it's racism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-fifths_Compromise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

super bowl champion dicaprio bootle