Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Hello and welcome to my Let’s Play of Touhou Souzinengi V ~ the Genius of Sappheiros

What’s this game is about?

It’s a Touhou JRPG fangame created by Strawberry Bose. It is their first installment in the trilogy before Devil of Decline (which I never played) and Nightmare of Rebellion (which I loved and LPed once, but I quit because I can’t translate the story when I don’t understand Japanese myself. It’s stupid, I know).

This version of the game is the 4th iteration of the game and is originally released for the Playstation Vita in April 2016. It was eventually ported into Steam in November 2022 and received official English translation in March 2023. The game can be bought on Steam right here. Touhou RPG fangames are getting a lot attention on Steam lately.

Dark Souls of Touhou Fangame

It’d say the game is more like Shin Megami Tensei games due to how difficult it is, but referring difficult games as Dark Souls of (insert game genre here) is a meme. And this game is a Touhou fangame. So yeah.

Why did I LPing this game?

Because I’m a masochist? Actually, I have a hate-love relationship with this game. I hate this game for its occasional cheap trick to insta-kill you just because there’s no consequences for dying. Sure you can quickly restart and get back to where you at, but those cheap trick still pissed me off. At the same time, I commend this game for its deep gameplay mechanic. The game is indeed difficult, but at the same time you got a lot of tools at your disposal and you can make numerous strategies to combat the enemies. Every party member is unique and they have a distinct role to play in the party. Their skillsets are customizable thanks to the addition of their unique skill tree.

With me Lets Playing this game, maybe I could promote this game as well in the SA forum. And hey, if the game sells well, maybe the dev circle will put their other 2 games on Steam as well as translate it to English. One can only hope.

With my opening statement out of the way, we can start the game.

Table of Content

Arc 1
- Prologue Part 1
- Prologue Part 2
- Stage 1 - Part 1
- Stage 1 - Part 2
- Stage 1 - Boss
- Stage 2 - Part 1
- Stage 2 - Boss
- Stage 3 - Part 1
- Stage 3 - Boss
- Stage 4 - Part 1
- Stage 4 - Boss
- Stage 5 - Part 1
- Stage 5 - Boss
- Stage 6 - Part 1
- Stage 6 - Boss
- Stage 7 - Part 1
- Stage 7 - Boss
- Stage 8 - Part 1
- Stage 8 - Boss
- Stage 9 - Part 1
- Stage 9 - Part 2
- Stage 9 - Boss
- Stage 10 - Part 1
- Stage 10 - Boss

Arc 2
- Stage 11 - Part 1
- Stage 11 - Part 2
- Stage 11 - Boss
- Stage 12 - Part 1
- Stage 12 - Boss
- Stage 13 - Part 1
- Stage 13 - Boss
- Stage 14 - Part 1
- Stage 14 - Boss

Arc 3
- Interlude
- Stage 15 - Part 1
- Stage 15 - Boss
- Stage 16 - Part 1
- Stage 16 - Boss
- Stage 17 - Part 1
- Stage 17 - Boss

Bonus Content
- Touhou Character Info
- Party Member Skill Tree
- Formation List

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Playable Characters

Reimu Hakurei

The Shrine Maiden of Hakurei shrine. The overall main character of Touhou franchise. Being the shrine maiden, her primary job is to solve incidents and beat up the perpetrator. A job she happens to be really really good at as she's essentially the strongest human in Gensokyo. Despite being a shrine maiden, she can be a bit of a jerk, lazy, and greedy.

Marisa Kirisame

The Ordinary Magician. The 2nd main character of Touhou. She's a magician who loves lots and lots of firepower and is a compulsive hoarder to the point of "borrowing" stuff from her acquaintance. She serves as the audience surrogate character due to her social and straight forward and her position being in contrast to Reimu.

Sanae Kochiya

The Shrine Maiden of Moriya Shrine. She’s originally debuted in Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith. She comes from the outside world before she migrated to Gensokyo. Since she’s from the outside world, she’s familiar with modern technology. She also thinks busting youkai and solving incident is awesome. She served the 2 Goddesses of Moriya Shrine: Kanako Yasaka and Suwako Moriya.

Aya Shameimaru:

The Pure and Honest Tengu Reporter. Well, that’s what she described herself as. In truth, she often exaggerate her news. The one thing you can count is that she delivers her news fast. She first debuted in Touhou 9: Phantasmagoria of Flower View. Later on she becomes the main character of Touhou Photography Side Games.

Patchouli Knowledge

The Librarian of Scarlet Devil Mansion. First appeared in Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil as the 4th stage boss. She’s a recluse who spent most of her time confined in her library. She is very sickly, but it doesn’t matter much when her magic power are really powerful.

Sakuya Izayoi

The Perfect and Elegant Maid. First appeared in Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil as the 5th stage boss. She’s well known for her complete loyalty toward Remilia and her usage of lots and lots of throwing knives and time stopping power. She sometimes works as incident solves and become playable character.

Nitori Kawashiro

The Kappa Inventor. First debuted in Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith as the stage 3 boss. Want some high tech stuff in archaic place like Gensokyo? She’s your girl.

Side Characters

Yukari Yakumo

The Youkai of Boundaries. First debuted in Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom as the Phantasm stage boss. She’s one of the oldest youkai in the setting and also one of the most powerful youkai with her power over boundaries. Her role is to maintain balance of Gensokyo. While she is content to laze around and leave the incident solving to Reimu, she will personally step in if the foe threaten Gensokyo itself.

Hieda no Akyuu

The Chronicler of Gensokyo and the Child of Miare. She doesn't appear in games but instead debuted in supplementary material. Her role is to collect information on various youkai and compile them. She retains memories of her previous incarnation. All her incarnation is cursed with short lifespan.

Keine Kamishirasawa

The Half-beast of Knowledge and History. First appeared in Touhou 8: Imperishable Night. She's a half-human half-hakutaku (Japanese werewolf) with power over history. Despite her half youkai nature, she acts as a guardian and teacher in Human Village. Have a mean headbutt.

Cirno

The Strongest Ice Fairy. First appeared in Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. She consider herself as the strongest despite fairy being lowest in Gensokyo's totem pole. But she can back up her bark with her bite when she's playable. She's very well known for being associated with 9-ball and idiot.

Nitori Kawashiro

The Kappa Inventor. First debuted in Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith as the stage 3 boss. Want some high tech stuff in archaic place like Gensokyo? She’s your girl.

Ran Yakumo

The shikigami (familiar) of the Gap Youkai. First appeared in Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom as the Extra boss. Despite being just a kitsune (nine-tailed fox) shikigami, she’s powerful enough to be an Extra boss. She’s the one who handles day-to-day stuff in Yakumo’s household alongside Chen.

Chen

The Shikigami of the Shikigami. First appeared in Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom as the 2nd stage boss. She’s Ran shikigami. The fact that Ran can have a shikigami aswell shows how powerful Ran is. As she is a bakeneko (ghost cat), she’s very catlike in her personality.

China

The gatekeeper of Scarlet Devil Mansion. First appeared in Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil as the third boss. She is looked down by everyone and is treated as a joke due to her incompetence at her job.

Her Character Profile is a joke profile reflecting her status in-game.

Remilia Scarlet

The Scarlet Devil. First appeared in Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil as the final boss. Despite her childish appearance, she’s a 500+ years old vampire. She is the head of the Scarlet Devil Mansion. While she can present herself as a refined noblewoman, she actually has a childish side which may show up from time to time.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 23, 2023

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Playable Character Skill Tree

Hakurei Reimu

Spirit Strikes

Barriers

Concentration

Exorcism Sign

Purification Rods

Kirisame Marisa

Lasers

Stardust

Power

Magic

Brooms

Kochiya Sanae

Wind Priestess

Miracles

Faith

Youkai Extermination

Snakes

Shameimaru Aya

Ground Combat

Aerial Combat

Reporting

Tengu’s Status

Fans

Izayoi Sakuya

Illusion

Time Stop

Maid Knowledge

Killer

Two-Handed Sword

Patchouli Knowledge

Elemental Magic

Magic Control

Wealth of Knowledge

One-Week Girl

Books

Note: Is that a misinformation in Book's Pow 20 passive? Why the hell does it provide lesser attack power?!

Kawashiro Nitori

Research

Buffed Armaments

Kappa’s Wisdom

Inventions

Guns

Alice Margatroid

Manipulation

Creation

Self-Destruct

Puppetry

Legguards

Komeiji Satori

Satori

Trauma

Third Eye

Id

Eyes

Konpaku Youmu

Human Realm Sword

Deva Realm Sword

Asura Sword

Half-Phantom

Katana

Fujiwara no Mokou

Phoenix

Eternal Night

Hourai

Hand Pocket

Fists

Generic Weapon Skill Tree

Spears

Daggers

Staves

Swords

Axes

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 4, 2023

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Prologue Part 1

It’s an ordinary summer day in Gensokyo. The temperature is currently above 30 degree Celsius.

We meet our main character of the game: Reimu Hakurei, the shrine maiden of Hakurei Shrine and Gensokyo’s go-to incident solver. She is currently doing shrine maidenly thing, like sweeping the shrine.

: It sure is hot… This is some awful sun we’ve got today. I can’t even focus on my work like this… Ugh, geez.

The game takes place after Touhou 12: Undefined Fantastic Object.

: But I guess time really flies, doesn’t it…

Back to sweeping again I suppose.

: *sigh*

Doing chores under the sweltering sun is pretty annoying. Staying inside is better.

Looks like this won’t be an ordinary day.

Now we cut to Yukari

: Mist? At a time like this…?

: !!!

An incident!!!

Here’s our other main character: Marisa Kirisame. The ordinary witch/thief.

In the prologue, we get to see people’s reaction toward the mysterious mist.

: Hey. C’mon now…

: It’s dark enough already! I wanted to actually air my books out for once, but that ain’t happenin’ now!

It’s dark? Marisa, its summer.

That’s what I like to know as well.

And there are a LOT of characters involved in this incident.

: That’s quite an uncommon sight in the middle of the day.

We then hear someone is frantically knocking on her door.

???: Sorry, I’m coming in!

Keine, the history teacher/village protector immediately barges in because the situation is dire enough.

: What’s the matter? You look awful panicked…

: We’ve got an emergency!

: Huh?

: The village… It’s, well… Anyway, just come with me!

Everyone in the village is rightfully shocked after seeing the youkais suddenly drops because of the mist.

Except for this guy. He’s so nonchalant about all this.

: I-I can’t breathe…

: W-What in the world is going on here…?

: I don’t know… But the mist is most likely culprit.

: The mist?

: It seems this only began when the mist appeared.

: …….

We see more of the youkai suffered from the effect of the mist.

: W-What’s going on…!?

: *huff*… *huff*…

: Tch…!

: I-I can… barely move a muscle…

: …!

: Is it the mist…?

: Is it really so humid today that I’ve got mist IN the shop…? Come now, I can’t have my goods getting damaged…

The mist is supernatural in nature.

: Ugh…

: Hah…

: W-What’s going on!?

At the lake, we see Cirno, the ice fairy chilling without any care.

: This is a big find! Freezin’ a sunflower makes for a REAL good weapon! I’m gonna use this thing for some pranks right away!

: Hmm, hmmhmm… ♫

: A collapsed youkai…

: A-A LOTTA collapsed youkai…!

First: This is not your place. Second: I don’t see any castle around.

While everyone is in the state of panic, there’s someone who slept through all the chaos.

Don’t mind her fellas. She’s still on her break.

: What’s going on…?

The leader of the temple personally steps in to handle the patients.

: Hijiri!

: Yes, everyone. I’m already aware. Just prior, the mist made its way to my location as well.

: And it certainly seems that it’s up to no good.

: Fortunately, it appears its effects aren’t of fatal danger.

So it only harms youkai.

: Just what IS this mist…?

: ……

: …At present, I don’t know either. However…

: …?

: (Rather than affecting everyone indiscriminately, is this mist purposefully hurting youkai…?)

What is the culprit intent? Why are they hurting youkai?

The tengu reporter is on the case.

: They’re here! They’re here! There’s collapsed youkai EVERYWHERE!

: Either way, I’m sensing a new scoop! I’m feeling a little sluggish, but Aya’s a tough girl! This mist won’t stop me.

This is gonna be the biggest scoop of the month.

The last person we check is Yukari’s shikigami (familiar)

: So it’s come all the way here to the Yakumo residence, has it… I’m going to have to report this to Lady Yukari.

Well, she already knows.

: Lady Ran!

Ran’s shikigami comes in delivering the urgent news (that we’ve already heard many times over)

: Chen?

: This is bad, Lady Ran! The mist… The mist is…!

: This is about the mist, then? I’m already aware of it.

: What do we do, Lady Ran…? It’s already spread everywhere!

: Well… The mist’s effect aren’t really all that severe. But it’s enveloping all of Gensokyo. Its scale is quite troublesome. We don’t know where it’s coming from yet, so what DO we do…?

Starts investigating?

: What do we do, indeed.

Here comes Yukari.

: I’m home, you two.

: Welcome home!

: Lady Yukari… What are your thoughts on what’s happening…?

: Well… Just as you say, Ran. It may be rather troublesome.

: !

: While it may be true that its actual effects aren’t so severe, when you consider its nature, it certainly isn’t to be made light of.

: Whuh?

: If they’d been serious, we’d likely have had a real problem on our hands.

Like if they wanted to, they can create a mist that’s lethal to everyone?

: “They”…? So… Does that mean…?

It’s an incident!

: Come now, don’t steal my line like that.

: Do you perhaps know who’s behind this, Lady Yukari…?

: Who knows? I can’t say I know THAT much. That’s precisely why this is so troublesome.

: So what do we do, Lady Yukari? Should we ask “her” for help…?

We know who you’re referring to, Ran. Just say her name.

: Yes, without a doubt.

Roll the title screen!

Next time on Genius of Sappheiros: Prologue part 2

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Prologue Part 2

Reimu is still laze around in the shrine. Reimu, don’t you know there’s an incident happening?

: *sigh*… Another hot day…

Guess not.

: There’s no way I can serve the shrine’s god like this. Heck, I wish they’d serve ME…

Wow… Her audacity.

: Phew… Can’t someone bring me a nice, chilly phantom to cool off with or something…?

Note: Phantoms are cold to the touch. So they can be made as an improvised AC.

In comes Marisa, who also unaware of what’s happening.

: You’re looking as bored as always, Reimu.

: How rude. It might not look like it, but I’m working right now

: Oh, right. Working. Of course. So what you’re tryin’ to say is that you’re on break.

: Yeah, something like that.

: That’s just perfect, then. Your wonderful little friend Marisa brought ya a little gift.

Reimu is practically drooling after hearing the word: gift.

: What is it? Is it a phantom!?

: Huh? A phantom? The heck are you on about? I brought ya some miso-pickled mushrooms.

Rejecting a gift is considered a rude gesture, you know.

: …..

: Look here, Reimu.

: Those mushrooms… You picked them from the Forest of Magic, didn’t you…?

: Hm? Yeah, why?

: There’s NO way I’m eating those freaky things!

Maybe those mushrooms are safe to consume. Marisa is pretty knowledgeable about mushrooms.

Typo spotted! I think it meant to say heat.

: What’s going on with you? Ya seem awful irritable today.

Reimu is normally a bit of a jerk. But the lingering summer heat irritates her to the point of making her even more of a jerk.

: So what are you doing here, Marisa? You came all the way here in this sweltering heat, all while wearing that stuffy, sunlight-absorbing outfit. So you must have a REASON, right?

Maybe she enchant her outfit with magic. Anyone wearing outfit that thick in summer would be sweating already.

So Marisa’s just bored as well.

While everyone is responding to the incident, our two heroes is still sitting around, bored off their asses.

: It sure is summer…

: Yep, sure is…

There’s a visitor. Reimu, you should greet her.

: Oh, it ain’t often you show up here.

This is Sanae, the shrine maiden of Moriya Shrine and also an incident solver as well. She’s basically Reimu’s competitor.

: Do you need something?

Free food!

: We were given to it by the neighboring kappa.

Who doesn’t love free food?

: What is it? Is it a phantom!?

What are you on about? How the hell do you eat ghost?!

: Excuse me?

: Oh… Okay…

Apparently, Reimu doesn’t love free foods.

: Um… Did I do something wrong…?

: Oh, don’t mind her.

: … Right

: By the way, could I ask you something?

: Yes?

: What’d you mean by that just now?

: You said “you’re still here?”

: Oh, that? Well, I just figured that knowing you, you’d have already set out by now.

: No clue what you’re talkin’ about.

Geez…

Yeah, they just straight up doesn’t notice the incident.

: It looks to be an incident, so I figured you’d be out resolving it.

: Ah, that…

: That, huh… You know… You must be really bored if you came assuming I wouldn’t even be here.

: Well, I was just following Lady Kanako’s orders, and…

: Can’t argue with that.

: (You’ve got no room to talk, Marisa.)

Yeah, so do you Reimu.

: All this talk of boredom aside, what are you still doing here?

: I mean…

: Well, y’know… It’s just youkai getting’ affected by that mist, right? And it ain’t like a mist incident is anything new or exciting…

: On top of that, it’s my job to exterminate youkai. As long as humans aren’t getting harmed, as for what happens to youkai, well…

This is our main heroes, folks.

: I-I see…

: (Strangely enough, that doesn’t really surprise me coming from her…)

At least you still cared, Sanae.

Oh, Yukari. Can you convince this shrine maiden to do her job?

: Surely you realize it’s not that simple, don’t you?

: Y-You surprised me…

: Just like ya to appear outta nowhere, huh.

The advantage of having the ability to teleport anywhere.

: You went and ate my tea snacks on me again, didn’t you!? I’m getting real sick of your antics!

: They were scrumptious, thank you.

: Grr…!

Reimu looks silly with this pose.

: Oh my, how scary. Why don’t I give you a phantom in return for your tea snacks?

: Don’t eavesdrop on me!

: Anyway, none of that really matters.

: She said it.

: She sure did.

: …I’m going to exterminate you.

: More importantly, Reimu… Do you really think this isn’t going to harm humans?

: What’s that supposed to mean?

: It’s certainly true that the fog itself isn’t harming them. However, you see…

: I dunno, what happens?

: …Ah.

: Don’t tell me…

: That’s exactly right. In fact, that idea is already getting shot around in youkai society.

: They could end up directin’ their anger at humans, huh…

Yeah, but the youkai are still weakened by the mist. So we’re still fine. I think.

I’ll give the translator a slack. The translation is a one man job. So I could excuse the occasional typo.

: *sigh*…

: So, what you’re trying to say…

: Ufufu.

Goddamit Reimu!

: What are you saying, Reimu!? Let’s go and resolve this incident together!

Yeah, follow Sanae’s example.

: Wha!? What are you suddenly getting so worked up for?

: The humans are in danger, Reimu! This is an INCIDENT! It’s my duty to resolve the situation as a fellow shrine maiden of Gensokyo!

Can she be our main character instead?

: Mufufu!

She wants to promote her shrine as well. So… Step up, Reimu!

: Aren’t I right, Marisa?

: Whuh!?

: Uh, err… Well… I guess? I was bored too, so it’s not like I COULDN’T go with ya to help.

: Hey, you too, Marisa…!?

We do need all the party member we can get in JRPG.

: The Hakurei shrine maiden’s isn’t just youkai extermination. It’s too resolve incidents, too. Isn’t that right, Reimu?

: *sigh*… Fine. I just have to go resolve this stupid incident, right?

: Geez…

FINALLY!

: Fufufu. Then I’ll leave the rest to you.

Bye Yukari. We’ll resolve this incident in no time.

So then, time for us to get moving.

: Phew…

???: Fufufu… I heard everything just now.

Hey there, Aya. You got news for us.

: Great, one more problem to deal with… What do you want, Aya?

: Oh, nothing much. But since the Hakurei shrine maiden will be setting out.

By that she means she will join us as well.

: Yeah, same as always.

: You got that right. Wouldn’t it be better if we had as much help as possible for this, Reimu?

: That’s right. The humble Shameimaru will prove useful, you know! C’mon, say yes…!

: You guys…

We have formed our initial party.

: Then I’ll take you up on that generous offer! Let’s begin with a direct interview!

: Where are we heading to first, Miss Reimu, incident resolution specialist?

: The mist is what’s causing the incident, right? The culprit is the vampire from Scarlet Devil Mansion, or maybe that slippery drunken oni. Or it could be that thick-headed girl from Heaven getting up to some mischief.

It can’t be them. The Scarlet Devil’s mist is just for blocking the sun. And the drunken oni isn’t that malicious to create poisonous mist.

: I never know where Suika’s at.

We cross Suika, the drunken oni from our suspect list.

We will be going investigate everyone.

Okay, let’s start our journey.

Next time on Genius of Sappheiros: Our first fight as a party.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ooh, this looks fun.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Reimu: "It's a mist based incident, let's go punch Remilia as she's closest"

:allears:

Never change you lazy miko, never change.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

"Proximity" and "probable cause" sound close enough when it's hot and you just want to get poo poo over with, I guess!

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Stage 1 - Part 1

BGM: Overworld Theme

And so we begin our journey. Our first objective is to investigate the Scarlet Devil Mansion and see if they’re the culprit of the incident.

Before we begin, I’ll like to check the main menu.

We begin the game with 4 party members on our side. We get more party member as the game progresses.

Each character can equip a weapon, a shield, an armor, and up to 3 accessories. The Equipment screen is also where you can look into the character’s stats.

First, let’s check our party member.

First, we have Reimu, our main character. Befitting for a main character, she’s a magic-based all-rounder. She can take hits decently well, she pretty good at dealing damage with her light elemental spells, she can heal her teammates, and she can protect them with her barrier skills. Her weakness is that all of her spells are light elemental, meaning she won’t fare well against enemies that resists light.

Her unique weapon is Gohei/Purification Rod, a strike elemental weapon that works as a cross of staff and axe. She can equip up to medium type armor and shield.

Marisa is our mage. She’s fast, hits hard with her spells (especially with her Master Spark), but she can’t take any hits at all. She will be our primary damage dealer for a while.

Her unique weapon is Broom, a stab elemental weapon that acts as a cross of a staff and a spear. She can only equip small type armor and shield.

Sanae is our primary healer and buffer. She has healing spells and multi-target buff that will help our party immensely. While she has some offensive spells, she lacks the stats to use them effectively (Her offensive skills deals physical damage despite her being a mage). As such, she’s best used for her support skills.

Her unique weapon is Snake, a slash elemental weapon which is basically a whip shaped like a snake. She can equip up to medium type armor and shield.

Being a tengu famous for her speed, she’s the fastest character in the party. She is best used as a combat support as she excel at manipulating turn order (such as allowing the entire party to move first before the enemy) and increasing the party accuracy and evasion. Her high Evasion can be used to make her into a dodge tank. Aya has an innate resistance against thunder and weakness against earth.

Her unique weapon is Fan, a strike elemental weapon that’s basically a lightweight, accurate and less powerful axe.

Each character has a primary stats and secondary stats. Levelling up will increase the character’s HP, MP, and their primary stats.

Primary Stats:
STR: Increases PAtk
VIT: Increases PDef
DEX: Slightly increases Inf and Acc
AGI: Increases Spd and slightly increases Eva
INT: Increases MAtk
POT: Slightly increases Res and critical chance

Secondary Stats:
PAtk: Increase damage dealt by physical attack
PDef: Decrease damage taken by physical attack
MAtk: Increase damage dealt by magical attack
MDef: Decrease damage taken by magical attack. This stat can’t be raised by levelling up. Only equipment and certain skill tree passives can increase it.
Acc: Determines hit rate
Eva: Determines chance to dodge attack
Inf: Increase chance to inflict status effect and debuff and increase its effectiveness
Res: Decrease chance to be inflicted with status effect and debuff and decrease its effectiveness. One of the most important stats.
Spd: Determines turn order.

Lives: Being killed in battle caused the character to lose a live. Any character that loses all their lives can’t be revived anymore and won’t receive EXP.
Bombs: One of the most important resources. High tier skills uses 1-2 bomb

Each character can equip up to 6 Danmaku Skills (normal skills), 6 Spell Cards, and 2 Last Spells. Giving them a total of 14 skills they can equip. Originally, in the previous version, each character only has a total of 6 skill slots for everything. So the new skill slots system basically doubles their skill slots.

What are Spell Cards and Last Spells?

Bombs are very important resources since the party member needs those to use their stronger skills.

It's worth noting that Reimu and Marisa already have their Last Spell from the get go. It's just that they don't have the MP to use it right now.

Last Word have a chance to be activated after performing any action. They have better chance to trigger if the character is at low HP. The chance are pretty low though, so we shouldn’t rely on them.

I’ll explain about the Commander once we have more than 5 party members.

This formation looks bad as they’re vulnerable to attacks that target an entire column.

That’s better! It boosts our frontliner’s attack power and cover up our fragile party member.

There are a lot of useable formation in the game. Each have different positions and offering different bonuses. I should make a list of all available formations in the game.

We can assign Pow to the party member’s skill tree to gain stat bonuses. Each character have their own unique skill tree. Right now, we only have 1 Pow with. The cap is 99 Pow, so we can only fill up 3 skill tree at most.

I’ll list each the party member’s skill tree in a different post.

There is no healing items in the game. You can only use spell to heal yourself in combat.

Additionally, equipments can only be found or crafted using materials since there is no shops in the game.

Before we head to the mansion, I’d like to check the Myouren Temple and see if I can obtain some secret.

Reimu looks around the temple to search for Byakuren.

: Wait a sec, she’s not even here.

: Oh!

: Hello, Murasa. Is Byakuren absent at the moment?

: Hijiri…? Yes, she’s out right now. She said “I’m heading out to investigate the incident” and left.

We missed her. Reimu is too slow to respond to the incident.

: Ayaya, so she’s gone already… It looks like Byakuren’s already on the move.

: Indeed. It’s only natural, her heart is aching more than anyone else’s right now. So she left to look into the incident without pause.

The party are either being forced to solve the incident (Reimu) or have additional motives. Not Byakuren, she just want to save the youkai.

: When will she be back?

: She left quickly without telling me. She might come back after checking into things, or she might not return until the incident’s been resolved…

: Hmm, so we don’t even know if she’s comin’ back… Rough.

: What should we do, Reimu?

: Hmm. Since we’re heading out to resolve the same incident.

Wait, let me check something, first…

The secret method to unlock Byakuren early is removed in this version?! Crap! Originally, you can wait in Myouren Temple for one hour in real time to unlock Byakuren early. In this version, we can’t do that anymore. I can’t cheese the early game with her.

: Let’s just head out.

: Sounds good.

: See ya later, Murasa.

: Yes, goodbye.

Now let’s investigate the Scarlet Devil Mansion.

This is the mansion where the titular Scarlet Devil and her companion resides. She also has her own gatekeeper to guard her mansion.

Fortunately for us, the gatekeeper isn’t good at her job.

: That was close! This won’t do… A gatekeeper such as myself can’t go dozing off on the job like that.

: The mistress has entrusted me with the grand role of the lock of the Scarlet Devil Mansion.

I never heard of anyone who refer themselves as a “lock”.

: I have to get it together and do my job.

: Ugh, but this is a problem…

: No… don’t do it, Meiling… The mistress has… entrusted me with… the great role… of…

And… she goes back to sleep.

: Zzz…

She can’t even stop the potential intruder from invading the mansion.

: Oh my… I’m not that familiar with this region yet. This is all so new and exciting.

: Let’s not stand around and chat. We’re going straight to Remilia so we can beat her up.

We don’t even know if she’s the one responsible. (99% chance she’s not)

: But first, we’ll have to deal with…

Easy entry for us.

: Maybe she’s worn herself out?

Worn herself from boredom.

: Pretty sure that ain’t the case. She’s a slacker for sure whether she’s asleep or not.

: Whatever, it doesn’t matter either way.

: Come on, we’re going in.

The sound of Reimu opening the big metal gate does woke up the gatekeeper.

We still have to get past the gatekeeper the hard way.

: Is this Sakuya’s power at play!?

Sakuya’s time stop power has nothing to do with us.

: Splendid work today, ma’am.

Persuasion check: Failed!

: Tch.

: Even taking into account who you are, I can’t allow you all to trespass any further!

: And as for YOU, Marisa!

: Yeah?

: You trespass into the mansion FAR too often!

You failed as a lock since we already opened the gate.

: What’re you on about? I always come as Patchouli’s (self-proclaimed) guest.

Someone who barged in uninvited won’t be treated as a guest.

: Ugh, enough already! I couldn’t care less about any of this. If you’re going to get in our way, we’ll remove you by force, gatekeeper!

: I can’t believe you’re calling me “gatekeeper” when we’re so well-acquainted…

: That’s right! You’re being rude, Reimu! So… What IS her name?

No one treated her seriously.

: *sob*…

: None of you care about my name in the least, do you…

: Huh? What…?

Sanae genuinely doesn’t know her name.

: My name is--

: Prepare yourself!

BGM: Battle 1

Our first fight in the game is against the gatekeeper.

The game is a turn-based RPG. You assign your party member’s action before the turn start, everyone then takes turn attacking each other. The last party standing is the victor.

China has 150 HP, and she’s weak to light. Her attack deals enough damage to kill our underleveled party member in 2 hits, and Marisa in 1 hit.

So we unload everyone’s skill on her to kill her off fast. Reimu’s light based magic can take off half of China’s HP in one attack.

BGM: Victory

This is just our first fight after all.

: I’m sorry, Miss China.

: You were a crucial sacrifice in the resolution o’ this incident. Forgive us, China.

: Come on, let’s hurry inside already.

: I hope there’s a big scoop waiting for us inside. I can wait!

Her actual name is Hong Meiling. I hope there’s someone who will remember her name

Curses! The Scarlet Devil foiled our advances by locking her front door! drat you, Remilia!

: Locking herself inside, is she? Looks like Remilia really is our culprit.

Or maybe she just want privacy? Come on! Everyone locks their own home.

: Hey, doesn’t this mean China’s locked out?

: Mistress… How cruel… Aren’t I the lock of the Scarlet Devil Mansion…?

: *sob*…

You’re the gatekeeper. It’s your job to be outside and guard the mansion.

: Huh? Did I hear something just now…?

: Are you sure you’re not just imagining things?

: We can’t get inside like this! Aren’t there any other entrances!?

: I’ve got a special one ready for just this one occasion.

: Where is it?

: A secret exit…? If it’s secret, why do you know about it, Marisa?

: I just kinda found out durin’ my time as a guest.

: Just how often do you sneak in there…?

This is why Marisa is able to “borrow” lots of stuff.

: This’ll make for a great scoop! Please let me interview you sometime!

: Okay, that’s enough of this.

What’s a dog house doing there?

: And just where is this “emergency exit”…?

: It’s right under that doghouse.

: Why’d they put a doghouse on it…?

Does the Scarlet Devil own a dog? I don’t think she does.

: Beats me. ‘Cause it’s supposed to be a secret exit, I guess?

: But the doghouse blocks them from getting out? Just what are the residents here thinking…?

I don’t know either.

Wait a second… Does the doghouse meant for a certain someone…?

: Beats me. I’ve never seen one before.

: Nether have I.

: Anyway, this thing sure is shoddy isn’t it? The mansion’s… well, a MANSION, so they ought to build a better doghouse to match. That vampire’s surprisingly stingy.

: Either way, we won’t be able to get inside without moving it.

: You’re right on that. Let’s get this dog shack out of the way and keep moving.

She didn’t just get it out of the way. She outright destroy it.

Someone is left homeless today.

Next time on Genius of Sappheiros: Stage 1 – The Great Library.

The next update will cover the entire Stage 1. So it won't be as short as this.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 16, 2023

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Formation List

One Person Formation

Two Person Formation

Note: Did it mean “Defender”?

Three Person Formation

Four Person Formation

Five Person Formation

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 4, 2023

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Added the Character Skill Tree and Formation List

The next update will arrive tomorrow at the earliest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Added the Character Skill Tree and Formation List

The next update will arrive tomorrow at the earliest.

Some of those 5-character themes seemed like references.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Quackles posted:

Some of those 5-character themes seemed like references.

Yeah, Hakurei Type is based on Reimu, Master Star is based on Marisa, Moriya Wall is based on Sanae, and Legend of Gensokyo's Fastest is based on Aya.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Stage 1 - Part 2

BGM: Scarlet Devil Mansion Theme

Welcome to the first stage of the game: the Great Library.

: So this is the Great Library of the Scarlet Devil Mansion…! I’ve heard so much about it! I’ve never seen such a huge library, not even outside Gensokyo!

It’s so big, it’s counted as a single stage.

: Mmm, this is a bother.

Sanae spent the rest of the cutscene exploring the library and checking the bookshelves.

: So it sucks that we have to make a detour through here.

: You’re certainly right…

: The air’s always so stuffy. I don’t understand the books. And there probably aren’t any scoops to be found, so I’d like to get through here quickly.

: What’d you just say? This library is a storehouse o’ stuff for witches. I mean, I visit all the time, too.

: Did I hear that right!?

: “Precious Tomes From the Witches’ Storehouse – Plundered!”

: I’ve got to write this down…

: “Plundered”? C’mon, that’s rude. I just borrow this place’s books.

You don’t return those books, Marisa. So that doesn’t count as borrowing.

: Yeah, yeah. I’ve heard enough of this.

Reimu just want to get stuff’s done and go home.

This stage is pretty simple since it’s the first stage of the game. It’s short, easy to navigate, and have a simple gimmick.

But before that though…

We’ll refill our MP first using the healing circle in the shrine. The party’s max MP is so low that Reimu and Marisa only have 4 shots with their magic attacks.

We’ll be getting our first generic weapons.

So that’s what the character’s sizes means.

The random enemy encounter is visible on the map. They will chase our party if they see us. Touching them will trigger the battle.

Our first enemy encounter is thing snake thing. That enemy is called Buruburu. It has 13 HP, resists water and weak to fire. While it can shoot water magic, it shouldn’t pose a problem to our party since Reimu and Aya will kill them in one hit.

Why are you in the corner like that? Are you shy? That lantern is called Burabura. It has 14 HP, resists fire and weak to water. It’s just as weak as the water snake. So we stomp them and move on with our exploration.

The humanoid enemies are decently challenging on the other hand. The staff wielding Fairy Maid has 67 HP and weak to dark. Her elemental magic hurts quite a bit, but she alone isn’t enough to threaten our party. We don’t have anyone that can use dark elemental magic, so we just wail on her using everyone’s normal attack.

Then we have axe and spear wielding Fairy Maid. The Spear Fairy Maid has 62 HP, and weak to dark. Spear’s skill tree has weapon skills such Leg Sweep (Single target attack that can inflict Topple which cancel the afflicted character’s turn), and Pole Swing (A column targeting attack). Those skills are pretty annoying to deal with. It’s why I use this formation instead of Freeform formation.

The Axe Fairy Maid has 72 HP, and weak to dark. Axes are capable of dealing high damage to a single character. I always prioritize killing them first.

There are usually four variation of the humanoid enemy. Sword, Spear, Axe, and Staff wielding enemy.

Level up!

Marisa starts learning fire, water, and thunder elemental spells. Those spells are better at exploiting enemies’ weaknesses.

We can head into the attic of the Library. Do note that can’t avoid any random encounter while up there.

There’s no one in the party that can equip large armor and shield. So we’ll keep this in the inventory for now.

We step on this floor panel to open the Iron Gate.

It’s a sword.

I gave this sword to Reimu. She’s the main protagonist and protagonists usually use swords as their main weapon.

This door can be unlocked using a gold key. The key is located near the door.

It’s as simple as that.

We step on this button to unlock the Iron Gate on the left.

There’s new enemies in the second area of the Library. First, we have this killer books. Manuscript has 53 HP, immune to light and dark, and is weak to slash. It can inflict Blind with its normal attack. It’s pretty annoying.

Note: All Tsukumogami type enemies are immune to light and dark.

Ghost don’t scare me! It has 83 HP, immune to all physical attack, and weak to all element. It can absorb your HP with Drain Touch. Although any elemental spell will one shot it.

I’m more afraid of the BEES!!! Giant Hornet has 19 HP, and weak to water and thunder. The hornet can inflict Poison with its normal attack. The poison can kill off your character in 2 turns.

The poison damage will still affect your character even after you kill off all the enemies. This can potentially result in your character dying and losing a Life.

I managed to proc a Last Word during the random encounter. Not that I need it.

Sanae’s Last Word is Yasaka’s Divine Wind. This spell increases all stats for the whole party.

A new medium armor. This goes toward Reimu.

Marisa desperately needs a new armor since she’s liable to get killed in one hit.

This door doesn’t need a key to be opened.

The silver treasure chest needs silver key to open. Later stages don’t just put the key right next to the treasure itself.

Our first medium shield. Reimu can equip this shield.

Shield doesn’t just raise the defensive stats of your character. Instead, equipping a shield gives the character a chance of blocking a certain attack type. For example: The Small Shield has 40% chance to block slash, stab, and strike elemental attack. Two-handed weapons like Spear or Broom will disable to use of shield.

Why is there a pool inside the library? Library isn’t a good place to build a pool. The pool water can potentially damage the books.

Also, the enemy on the right looks stronger than the normal random encounter. I should restore our MP before challenging that strong enemy.

What?! That’s not fair!

Dammit! That hurts! Koa Bomber is strong. 30 damage is a lot at this point in the game.

The little devil, Koakuma has 225 HP, resists mystic and dark, and is weak to light. Solo bosses are able to move twice in a turn. And one of her attack is always Koa Bomber. Hope that she doesn’t focus all of her attack on a single character.

Reimu’s light elemental magic remains the best way to eliminate bosses.

I’m lucky that she doesn’t kill off any of my party member.

Reimu gets her first Barrier skill. Evil-Sealing Circle can block of either Permanent, Variety, or Quick status effect.

Permanent: Sleep, paralyze, blind, silence, berserk, poison, petrify, erase, instant death
Variety: Buff/Debuff. Each character can have up to 5 Variety effects
Quick: Status effects that lasts one turn. Usually, turn cancelling status effects like Topple are considered Quick status effect.

This is by far the best buff in my opinion. RES reduce the chance of you getting inflicted by status effects.

This is the first material we obtained. It’s almost impossible to obtain material from the enemies since they only have 0,2% chance to drop materials. Yeah, it’s such a pathetically low chance.

We’re checking the attic in the previous area.

We find the Golden Key used to access the next area.

So we open the Golden Door using the Golden Key.

And now we reached the end of the stage. The stage boss awaits us behind the iron gate. We can use the healing circle to restore our MP, lives and bombs.

Operating the lever will open the gate and the teleport circle. The teleporter will bring us back to the entrance.

Next up, we’ll face the first boss of the game (Meiling and Koakuma doesn’t count since the game treated them as a miniboss).

Next up on Genius of Sappheiros: The Elegant Maid and the Exasperated Librarian.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Its name is Small Shield, but it’s a Medium size shield.

Sometimes you’ve just got to wonder…

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm assuming it looks small to people the size of Meiling China.
Alas, poor China, relegated to miniboss status. She was a stage 3 boss back in the day. And ok it's not that high but it's still boss status.

It must be the Yokai equivalent to Christmas right now for Aya, she's getting the juicy scoops without actually making poo poo up for once. Not that Marisa isn't already infamous but still.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I wonder why this went with "small, medium, large" instead of "light, medium, heavy" for the armor.

As for the pool, there was a comic in which the five hundred year old ten year old vampire built a bamboo rocket powered by gods to fly to the moon, and after dealing with the rear end in a top hat Lunarians on the moon, Remilia built a pool so she could have a pool party to apologize to Reimu for getting her mixed up in all that bullshit.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

This was always a game I meant to play, but never got around to.

Looking at the battles I'm just reminded alot of Romancing SaGa, even though it doesn't actually play that similarly.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MechaCrash posted:

I wonder why this went with "small, medium, large" instead of "light, medium, heavy" for the armor

Because when a spirit medium shows up and can equip a small-size armor, they'll be a small medium at large.

(:v:)

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

AweStriker posted:

Its name is Small Shield, but it’s a Medium size shield.

Sometimes you’ve just got to wonder…
The first Small Shield we get is a Buckler.

MechaCrash posted:

As for the pool, there was a comic in which the five hundred year old ten year old vampire built a bamboo rocket powered by gods to fly to the moon, and after dealing with the rear end in a top hat Lunarians on the moon, Remilia built a pool so she could have a pool party to apologize to Reimu for getting her mixed up in all that bullshit.

Oh. I see. Why why made it inside the Library though?

Cyflan posted:

This was always a game I meant to play, but never got around to.

Looking at the battles I'm just reminded alot of Romancing SaGa, even though it doesn't actually play that similarly.
I never played SaGa. So I can't see the similarity. That's why I compare this game to Dark Souls and Shin Megami Tensei.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Stage 1 - Boss

Okay, we’re about to fight the first boss of the game.

Since we’re still in the early game, there’s no need for us to customize our characters and their loadout. A simple attack and heal strategy will suffice.

Here we see the master of the Great Library, Patchouli.

And this is the loyal maid of the Scarlet Devil, Sakuya.

: I’ve brought you some tea.

: What leaves did you use this time?

: Fufufu… it’s a secret.

: What are you trying to act cool for?

Sakuya takes pride of being the Perfect and Elegant Maid.

: Blending tea is something of a hobby for me. I’ve been continuously tweaking my original blend in secret, and I’ve just finished it today. So I was thinking I’d have you try it, Lady Patchouli.

Why didn’t you serve it to your mistress, first? She would’ve loved it.

: I’m excited to try it, then.

: Here you go, then – my “Special Izayoi Blend.”

: Yes, thank you.

: Oh my, this is even better than I expected. Well done, Sakuya.

I’m curious about the tea. It must be really freaking good.

: In fact, it’s so good, I can’t help but wonder what leaves you used.

: Hmm… Just what kind of blend is this?

: Fufufu.

I don’t think you can use books to identify tea leaves. It’s something you learn through experience as a tea connoisseur.

: Is that really in there?

: By the way, Lady Patchouli.

: Hm? What is it?

: I received a report from another maid a bit ago. It appears they’ve infiltrated the mansion.

: Oh my.

: That is correct.

: So she’s finally made her move.

: Is this in relation to the mist?

: Most likely. Incident resolution is her job, after all. Everyone must be rather mad, having their bodies being eaten away at by the mist like this.

: Hmm… I don’t feel anything in particular, though…?

: Of course you don’t. The mist only has an effect on us youkai.

Sakuya is a pure blooded human serving a vampire.

: My body is in shambles as a result…

At the very least, you can still move.

: …Speak of the devil.

Here comes our party, ready to ruin their day.

: We’ve run into a troublesome pair.

Sanae is a polite girl. Unlike Reimu.

: You’re certainly a rare guest, Reimu. What business have you come for?

: You know exactly what I’m here for.

We don’t even know if she’s actually responsible for the incident.

: The mistress isn’t here in the library.

: Yeah, I can SEE that.

: We don’t have the time to deal with you two. We’re just gonna pass on by.

: Do you really think we’d let those with ill intent toward the mistress pass?

No. That’s why we’re gonna force you to move.

: You know, in the first place… I thought our gatekeeper was supposed to be on duty.

: Ah, her… She was having a nap at the gate.

: She’s absolutely worthless! A gatekeeper! Napping? Unbelievable…

The game does not treat Meiling well.

: I wonder, just how should I punish her for this!?

: That aside, the front door should have been locked. Just how did you get in…?

: Um, we used the emergency exit. Marisa showed it to us!

: H-Hold on, WHAT…!? Why do YOU know about my emergency exit, Marisa…!?

: ‘Cause I’m a regular guest, o’ course?

: No, don’t you “o’ course” me!

: Whuh?

: C’mon now, don’t be like that. We’re fellow witches, Patchouli.

Just hit her 1-2 times and she’s down. She’s very fragile.

: Now, now. Please control yourself, Lady Patchouli.

: Oooh!

: Their grudges have hit their peak, at least leading to their fated battle!

Don’t forget that we’re also participate in the battle as well.

: My paper’s gonna sell like hotcakes! I’ve gotta write this down…

: Oh, that does sound interesting. Let me see it once it’s finished, please.

: Ugh, that’s enough! Shut up already!

: We’ll cut you down if you stand in our way!

Reimu got no chill at all.

: That certainly won’t do

: I suppose you leave us with no choice.

Time for our first boss fight!

BGM: Boss 1

The party will make a pose first before a boss fight.

We got two bosses that we need to defeat. Sakuya has 300 HP, resists slash and mystic and is weak to dark. We don’t have dark elemental skill. So we can’t exploit her weakness.

Patchouli has 275 HP, resists fire, water, earth, thunder, dark and is only weak to light. We’ll leave it to Reimu to beat her down.

It feels like Sakuya is taking it easy on us. She doesn’t use her signature time stop, and she also doesn’t use her unique weapon.

Patchouli is the bigger threat of the two. Her elemental magic targets everyone. While it doesn’t deal that much damage, it still adds up.

Fortunately, Reimu activates her Last Word just in time. Her Last Word is a full party heal. It’s so incredibly effective.

Should you managed to kill one of the bosses, the surviving boss will get stronger. So I intent to kill both of them at the same turn. All targeting skill like Marisa’s Non-directional Laser is especially effective at handling them.

Marisa also activates her Last Word in the fight as well. Her Last Word is a World Effect that will reduce the party’s MP cost to 1.

World Effect: Skills that affects the entire battle arena. Usually, the World effect will affect both side of combatant. There are few exception like Miracle Hakkero that only affects your party.

One down!

Two down! Both at the same turn.

In hindsight, I should have killed Patchouli first since Sakuya isn’t a threat. No need to kill them on the same turn. But oh well.

: There, we beat you! We’re passing through here now.

: …Fine. We won’t stop you.

: Hm? That’s surprisingly nice o’ ya. Considerin’ you’re in cahoots with the culprit and all that… This is kinda weird.

: Do you have some sort of ulterior motive?

They’re already beaten. They’re no longer able to stop us anymore.

: “Nice”? We tried to stop you and you forced us to stand down…

: Yeah, I guess we did.

: Go see the truth with your own eyes.

: I don’t need you to restate my plans to me.

We’re immediately going to the next stage.

: Oh, don’t mind me!

: I just figured I’d summarize the showdown of the century that just took place!

: Oh?

: Call me the “Victor of the Witches’ Showdown” in there, would ya?

: Hmph.

: Please don’t forget to give me a copy too, Aya.

And for free as well. We did contribute to the article

: Give me a break…

There’s no break for us unfortunately.

Next time on Genius of Sappheiros: Scarlet Devil Mansion

Bonus Video:
- Boss Fight 1

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Oh. I see. Why why made it inside the Library though?

She told Patchy to build a pool, so Patchy just built it in the library because man gently caress if she's gonna move any farther than she has to for Remi's latest whim. :v:

As for the actual update, I assume that boss fight would've been a pushover even if you hadn't charged two Last Words there, but even if you ran into problems, you could just turn right around and use the healy circle thing that was right before this.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

MechaCrash posted:

She told Patchy to build a pool, so Patchy just built it in the library because man gently caress if she's gonna move any farther than she has to for Remi's latest whim. :v:

As for the actual update, I assume that boss fight would've been a pushover even if you hadn't charged two Last Words there, but even if you ran into problems, you could just turn right around and use the healy circle thing that was right before this.

Heh... I guess it's not just Reimu who can't be bothered to do their task. I can relate to that.

Yeah, early bosses isn't that difficult. The game won't bare its fang in the early stages.

Dying has no consequences aside from being booted back to the overworld. Any lost MP or Bombs can be easily restored with the healing circle.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Stage 1 and 2 all takes place in the Mansion itself.

: We finally made it out of that dusty library.

: We had to take the long way ‘round, but we finally made it here.

At least we get the sweet EXP from our detour.

: All that’s left now is to reach Remilia herself.

: We beat the troublesome sickly girl and maid. The culprit’s all that’s left now.

: Well, there’s her sister to think about too.

Remilia’s sister is freakishly powerful with her power to destroy anything. Hopefully she doesn’t participate in the boss fight.

I’d also like to pick a fight with every enemy that I encountered. I like EXP and Pow.

Looking at the starting area, it looks like there’s 2 directions we can take from there. But taking the right will only leads to a dead end.

So there’s only one way we can take to proceed.

By activating this lever, we unlocks the front door of the mansion. Now we can enter it from the front instead of having to enter it through the secret entrance.

This is the main hallway of the mansion. The boss room is located on the north. But unfortunately, the gate is locked. So we must find the way to unlock it.

The first enemy we encountered are a couple of Vampire Bats. It has 45 HP, resists earth, and weak to thunder and stab. While it can drain your HP with its fangs, it shouldn’t pose any trouble as the bats are so weak Marisa can potentially one shot with her normal attack.

Angels and Demons banded together to fight us?

The little yellow demon is Deuce. It has 70 HP, resists dark and weak to light. Its dark elemental magic hurts (20 damage), but fortunately it prefers attacking with its normal attack which deals less damage. Yay for bad AI.

The winged drone is called Patrol. It has 50 HP, resists light and weak to dark. Despite being a light based creature, its magic is mystic elemental. Go figure. When will we get a dark elemental specialist party member?

Nice! We get a new weapon from enemy drop. Mage Masher carries a slayer effect against Magician type enemies. The dagger will deals extra damage against those enemies.

There’s the sword wielding Fairy Maid. She has 67 HP, and is weak to dark. She has Falcon Slash, the first sword weapon skill that always strikes first. At this point, the Fairies shouldn’t give us any trouble at all.

Also, anyone wielding the Mage Masher will one shot the Staff wielding Fairy Maid.

In this stage, we get elemental resisting accessories from the treasure chest. This one goes to Aya since she has innate weakness to earth.

This area is pretty annoying to navigate with the fences and pillar blocking our paths.

There’s the fire resisting accessory.

We step on this panel to open this gate. Now we can obtain the gold key and access the next area.

Don’t forget to get the silver key as well.

Holy poo poo! A fairy jumpscare.

A goblin wearing a red cap. It’s so intimidating. The Redcap has 98 HP, resists dark, and is weak to light. Axe hits hard, I want it dead fast. Reimu’s light magic should be enough to one shot it.

That’s a big insect! The Beetle has 128 HP, 60 PDef, and is weak to water. It has high amount of HP, very high PDef, and it hits hard. Use Marisa’s and Reimu’s magic to kill it. Fortunately, this enemy is pretty rare to find and also seldom appears in group. So it’s pretty manageable

We have 1 gold key and 1 silver key.

We then unlock this golden door.

We did already obtained a Large type shield in the previous stage, right? Why did the game gives us another Large shield when we still have no one that can use it?

Right now, I prefers obtaining materials than equipment since it’s nearly impossible to obtain through random drops compared to equipments.

We activated this magical device thing. There are two of these in the stage and we need to activate both of them to open the boss room.

Looks like all the random encounters that I fought completely depletes Reimu’s and Marisa’s MP.

We better go back and recharge their MP before continuing our exploration.

I haven’t explored this side area on the left. We’ll take a detour first.

There’s nothing in this room. We can’t sleep on the bed, and we can’t interact with the cupboards.

The other room at least has a material inside the treasure chest. I hope enemies in the later stages has better item drop rate.

Again. Another annoying room to navigate. I bet Remilia is the one who design this room for shits and giggles.

Can you give me something that I can equip, game?

Okay, thanks game. Our mage definitely needs more defense.

A water resisting accessory. There’s no enemy in this stage that uses water spells. So we’ll keep this in our inventory.

Obtaining the Silver Key is really easy.

The Golden Key on the other hand takes a bit of effort from the player.

Bad enemy formation! It’s better to just nuke them using Reimu’s and Marisa’s stronger spell before they can kill off one of your party member.

At least we get a level up from those enemies. Stronger enemies does provide more EXP for us.

Like before, we used the golden key to open this door that will lead us to the next magical device.

Aya’s Last Word is a self buff that increases all her stats and allows her to move twice in a single turn. Aya’s attack power isn’t that good. So it’s not much of a game changer.

We get reduced EXP from fighting enemies that has lower level than us. This prevents us from being overleveled in the current stage. You can still grind for Pow though if you want to.

Nice! We are about to a fight a vampire after all.

That’s all of them.

Back in the main hallway, we can now reach the boss room.

That’s four of the elemental resistance accessories.

Okay, we arrived at the rest area. Please wait warmly while I prepare the strategy to beat to next boss.

Misc Content:

Heh. The game has an instant loss button.

I found this funny. Usually I only encountered instant loss function in a certain JRPG that has an extended bad end scene. But this game also has one.

Next Time on Genius of Sappheiros: The Scarlet Devil and the Unexpected Guest.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Okay, Remilia is coming up next.

We don’t have any status effect resistance accessories in our inventory, so there’s nothing we can do about it aside from relying on our luck.

Reimu and Sanae can increase their Res through their skill tree. We should activate those for more status effect resistance.

Right then! Let’s head on to the next boss fight.

There’s the titular Scarlet Devil herself, Remilia and her guest: Nitori? What is she doing here?

: This tea is really good!

: Fufufu. That’s right, it sure is.

: What brand is this stuff?

: It’s not a brand at all. It’s an original tea that Sakuya blended herself. She called it her… “Special Izayoi Blend” or something like that, I think?

Sakuya did really give her special blend to Remilia. Good job, Sakuya.

: Huh, neat. She’s really something if she can make tea this good.

Good luck trying to do so. She’s only loyal toward Remilia.

: Nope. Sakuya belongs to me.

: You know, you’re a rare guest to have here at the mansion. What brought you here, exactly?

Yeah, Remilia and Nitori has no relationship in the main canon.

: Anyway, I’m not here for anything big. I fell asleep in a river on Youkai Mountain, and when I woke up, I drifted here to the Misty Lake.

: Moron.

I thought named characters have a natural resistance against the harmful nature of the mist.

: Oh, you do?

: It was the mist’s fault, of course. It’s not my fault it made me all sleepy.

Yeeeeah… I guess you could blame it. It is harmful toward youkais.

: Moron.

: Oh, come on now.

: This certainly is frustrating. Though…

: No, I’m talking about the mist.

: The mist incident… I don’t like how it seems to be imitating my scarlet mist.

You should sue the main culprit for infringement.

: Oh yeah, I think I heard about that incident.

: And to make matters worse, this mist is affecting even me! Ugh, how frustrating…!

: Why don’t you go punish yourself, then?

: But even MORE frustratingly, even though this stupid mist takes after my own, it’s not dense enough to block the sun. So not only can I not go outside under this midsummer sun, but it’s like they’re giving MY mist a bad name at the same time!

: Nothing could POSSIBLY be any more frustrating…!

Buy a sunblock cream.

: Ah! So you’re the reason that stuff right outside this room’s wrecked, aren’t you?

: Erk.

: I-I was in a bad mood… Sakuya will get mad if she finds out, so keep this between us.

We didn’t see any evidence of her temper tantrum.

: Hmm, maybe I will, maybe I won’t…?

: It appears so.

Our party couldn’t pick a better time to confront Remilia.

: Oh, if it isn’t Reimu.

First of all, Reimu. She isn’t the culprit.

: Culprit?

: …Oh, right.

: (Fufufu. Looks like I’ve found the perfect outlet for my frustration.)

Are you sure you wanna pick a fight with four of us?

: Huh? Hey, you’re here too, Nitori?

: Remilia and Nitori, eh? That’s a rare combo.

: What are you doing here…?

: (That’s right. “Things.”)

: Hmm…

: Hello, Nitori.

: Oh? Heya, Sanae.

Sanae is so polite she has a specific animation to greet someone.

: I had them with Lady Kanako and Lady Suwako straight away. They were absolutely delicious.

: I know, right? They’re kappa-grown, so they’re really good!

You’re missing out, Reimu. Should’ve accepted Sanae’s gifts.

: So those cucumbers came from you, huh…

: …Wait. Shut up for a minute, everyone!

No more distraction and idle talk. We’re gonna beat someone up!

: This incident’s your doing, isn’t it!?

: Oh? Why do you say that?

: Because you’ve got previous record! What, with you spreading that red mist and all!

And that’s what made her unlikely to be the culprit. Not the other way around. Come on, no one would be stupid enough to create the same incident.

: So I’m automatically the culprit because there’s mist involved? How simple-minded. What happened to that intuition of yours?

Admit it, Reimu. You’re just blindly accusing her.

: (That’s a lie…)

: Hmm. So if I admit to being the culprit, what happens?

: I give you the beating you deserve!

: As the Moriya wind priestess, I’ll exterminate you!

: You’d get a Master Spark.

: That’d be a big scoop! I’d want an interview!

: Ooh, this sounds like fun! Lemme join in too!

By that, she means she’ll join Remilia’s side.

: Yep, let’s go!

: Okay, then.

Everyone won’t back from the chance to fight each other. We’ll cool their heads by beating their rear end!

The boss fight is another dual boss fight.

Remilia has 600 HP, heavily resists fire, water, earth, thunder, dark, stab and is only weak to light. Reimu is our best option to defeat her.

Nitori has 500 HP, immune to water and is weak to fire. Nitori is weaker, we should beat her down first.

First order of business. Buff the party’s Res. ASAP.

I goofed up. I thought water elemental enemies would be weak to thunder. Turns out I was wrong, and I didn’t get to see Nitori’s stats until after I beat her.

Heh. Moron! You’re supposed to target the front most character when attacking with row-targeting attacks. Remilia has only two attacks: Spear the Gungnir and her Spellcard. Her attacks, doesn't deal that much damage. But being a multi target attack, the damage will pile up.

Nitori’s can only attack us with water and mystic based attacks. She can’t even use her signature chaser skill since she can’t follow up Remilia’s attack as she doesn’t have water elemental attack. Her single target attack does hits harder than Remilia’s attack though.

Holy crap! Remilia’s portrait looks better than our party’s member portrait. Is she the game’s artist favorite character perhaps?

Dammit! Even with Res buff, I can’t block the status effect. I blame my luck.

Okay, Nitori’s down. I now doesn’t have to deal with her while 3/4 of my party member is charmed.

My second mistake. I didn’t think to unequip Mage Masher from Sanae’s hand. The Magician slayer effect hurts Marisa bad.

Once everyone is cured from their status effect, I used Aya’s Last Spell to gain action initiative followed by Sanae’s multi-target heal (Her multi-target is slow to cast). Now everyone is fully restored.

It took us 2 more turns to beat Remilia. Fortunately, she doesn’t use Red Magic again.

I made plenty of mistake of mistake in this fight. But at least I won, and that’s what matters.

I should improve my strategy.

: How’s that? Admit defeat yet?

: Yeah, I sure do… You guys beat us.

: Uugh… I planned on using you to relieve my stress, but getting beat up like that just stressed me out more.

: You sure wasted a lot of my time.

: Put this incident to an end.

: I can’t do that.

: Huh? What’s that supposed to mean?

: “I have no intention of ending the incident”. Perhaps that’s what she means?

: Looks like you haven’t had enough of a beating.

: That’s not what she meant.

: Ayaya? Whatever do you mean by that?

: I’m saying I’m not the culprit.

: Why’d you pretend to be the culprit, then?

: Because I was in a bad mood. I just wanted to fight and let out some steam.

Unfortunately, you picked the wrong opponent to fight.

: That’s right.

: Whuh? Then what was that all about? Are ya telling me…

: Ahaha, yeah, pretty much.

Just gotta accept that we just explore the mansion and fight all for nothing.

: *sigh*… What a troublesome turn of events.

: I don’t want to hear YOU calling anything troublesome.

: Ufufu.

: …I apologize.

The fearsome power of “slander”. Once your name is tarnished, it’s very hard to restore it back.

: Not only is someone out there imitating my scarlet mist, but I’m suffering from its effects too.

: Ah, I get it now.

: Well, I can’t say this is unlike Remilia.

: I wonder just who the culprit could be, then…?

: Yeah! Who the heck IS it…?

That’s a hard question. We’re still running around blindly looking for the bad guy.

: Do you have any leads, Nitori?

: Nope, not a one. Kappa society’s totally peaceful. No sign of a culprit among us.

We can cross out any potential impostor on their rank.

: Youkai Mountain’s high up enough that the mist isn’t doing much to us, so everyone’s just watching to see what happens. Isn’t that right, Aya?

: That’s right. It’s pretty much the same for us tengu. Lord Daitengu ordered me to watch and wait as well.

: (Yet you’re down here getting’ directly involved…)

: There’s no question as to who the culprit is.

: Are you sure about that?

Hi there. I see you guys are already recovered.

: I’m terribly sorry, Mistress. I was defeated and unable to be any help to you.

: Looks like you got dished some pain too, Remi.

: I suppose.

: So, what’d you mean by that just now?

: The mist’s makeup feels closer to that of a flow of magical energy.

: Err… And what’s that supposed to mean?

: Could you explain that a little more clearly…?

: What she’s saying is that rather than it being either o’ them,

: Yes, precisely.

: Or at least, it’s a possibility.

Again, the party is still uncertain.

: A witch, huh…?

: There aren’t all that many witches in Gensokyo, so that certainly narrows it down.

: Even moreso if you only consider those powerful enough to cause an incident.

: Byakuren couldn’t possibly be the one behind this. She cares so much about youkai after all.

: So it’s Alice, then!

Definitely no. She’s not the type of person to cause an incident.

: I’m unsure. But I think you’d be wise to head to the Forest of Magic regardless. Magical energy brings to mind witches, and witches brind(typo?) to mind the Forest of Magic.

: Even if you exclude Alice, I think it’s possible the culprit could be hiding there.

: Then that settles it.

We have our third stage of the game.

: What?

: Patchy, Sakuya. You go with them.

Oh yes!

: U-Us…!?

: Yes, that’s right. You two are going to punish the culprit in my stead!

: Remi… I, uh… don’t want to go outside…

: I CAN’T go outside! If you two don’t take my place.

Remi is so angry, she resorted to chewing her own hat in rage.

: …I don’t recommend fighting her on this, Lady Patchouli. There’s no stopping the mistress when she’s like this…

Step 1: Build a laser cannon
Step 2: Find bad guy
Step 3: Fire laser cannon on their location

Profit!

: Is that really in there?

I guess witch can’t build a laser cannon.

: I’ll be back, Remi.

Yep! We got two additional party members that will help us in our journey.

: Incident resolution, eh… Sounds like fun.

We also get Nitori as well.

: …I guess I don’t mind as long as you don’t get in the way. Do whatever you want.

: Heck yeah!

: Let’s get goin’, then.

We got 3 additional party members. This bring our party size to 7

In addition we also get 3 new formation based on Sakuya, Patchouli, and Nitori respectively.

That’s all for this update. Next up…

Next Time on Genius of Sappheiros: the Forest of Magic.

Bonus Video: Boss Fight 2

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Just use a parasol, Remilia, jeez.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think the mist is reducing her resistance so the usual parasol wouldn't help.
Or she's feeling lazy this week.

Probably laziness.

note: in EoSD Remilia started the scarlet mist incident to cover the sun so she could go outside. As Cyflan mentioned, a parasol would have been sufficient.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
BGM: Overworld Theme

We got 3 additional party member to our party. Let us put the newcomer party member on our frontline.

The Formation menu is pretty clunky. It takes some time to get used to it.

We can have up to 5 party members and 1 commander on our frontline party. The commander will assists the frontline party members by giving them passive bonus and they can use their support abilities (which costs 1 and 3 bombs respectively) for a one turn bonus.

The party members Commander abilities is as follows:

Reimu:
Command Power: Magic Damage Received -5%
Commander Spell 1: Hakurei Barrier: Reduce all damage by 20%
Commander Spell 2: Applies 100 exorcism to all allies’ attacks.

Exocism: Pierces Divine Barrier by a certain percentage of exorcism value.
Divine Barrier: Reduces damage receive by certain percentage of Divine Barrier value. Enemies with 50 Divine Barrier will take 50% reduced damage from all damage source. Usually, high ranking angel and demon type enemies have innate Divine Barrier

How exorcism works: Attacking enemy with 50 Divine Barrier using 10 Exorcism value = Enemy takes 45% reduced damage. 10% of 50 is 5. 50 Divine Barrier – 5 – 45. 100 Exorcism means it will completely ignore Divine Barrier.

Marisa
Command Power: Physical/Magic Damage +3%
Commander Spell 1: Hakkero: Increase the damage of attacks by 15%
Commander Spell 2: Stardust Sanctuary: Nullifies Mystic damage

Sanae
Command Power: Last Words charge easier
Commander Spell 1: Miracle Fruit: Restores 25% HP to all allies.
Commander Spell 2: Summon Takeminakata: Significantly raises all allies’ stats.

Aya
Command Power: All Cast Speed +10%
Commander Spell 1: Tengu Flight: Grants Emergency Evade to all allies.
Commander Spell 2: Shocking Photo: Let allies act first this turn.

Emergency Evade: Chance to dodge attack regardless of enemy’s accuracy and damage type.

Sakuya
Command Power: Condition Infliction Rate +5%
Commander Spell 1: Perfect Maid: Raises all allies’ Res and Inf.
Commander Spell 2: Deflation World: Stops enemy action.

Patchouli
Command Power: Magic Damage +5%
Commander Spell 1: Sunshine Reflector: Reduces magic damage received by 33%.
Commander Spell 2: Royal Diamond Ring: Increase magic damage dealt by 33%.

Nitori
Command Power: Weakness Damage +10%
Commander Spell 1: Bad Camouflage: Reduces all enemy evasion to 0.
Commander Spell 2: Hyper Camouflage: Grants Camouflage to all allies.

Weakness Damage+: Increase damage dealt when striking enemy weakness.
Camouflage: Nullifies one attack

All characters starts at level 1. Even party member that’s obtained late still starts at level 1. Only the frontline fighters and commander earns EXP after fighting enemies. Those that doesn’t fight only earns a little bit of Pow, even characters that has yet to be recruited still passively earn Pow. In this game, everyone must be leveled up. We can’t just pick our favorite girls and use them exclusively.

Holy poo poo! Look at her unique weapon! That’s a huge rear end sword. Had she used her two-handed sword in her boss fight, our party would’ve cut in half by her hand. She’s our party’s primary physical attacker. Her giant sword is capable is dealing huge amount of damage to a single opponent. She also carries her signature throwing knives that can either hits multiples, or inflicting status effect (Although she favors inflicting Instant Death).

Her unique weapon is two-handed sword, a high power, low accuracy slash attribute weapon that almost always carries a slayer effect. She can equip all types of armors and shield. Although her unique disables the use of shield.

Her Last Word is Sakuya’s World. A self buff that grants her the Greatest High (Increase all stats, and gives her 50 HP regen and 100 Exocism). It’s named after DIO’s memetic quote after drinking the blood of member of Joestar’s family.

: This is the greatest high!

While Nitori doesn’t hit as hard as Sakuya, she does contribute in a different way. She’s a physical attacker that’s more specialized in dealing elemental damage (her elemental attacks are limited to fire, water, and thunder) and assisting her teammates with either dealing extra damage through the use of her signature Chaser skill or covering them with camouflage. Nitori has an innate resistance against water and weakness to fire.

Her unique weapon is gun, a high power, low accuracy stab attribute weapon that always carries a slayer against warrior and magician. She’s good against humanoid enemies. She can equip up to medium type armor and shield.

Her Last Word is Atomic Kappa, an extremely powerful single target attack that ignore physical defense and never misses.

Marisa now has a competition. Patchouli is our premier glass cannon character. She put all her point in INT and STR (For some reason) while neglecting everything else. As a result, she can deal very high magic damage (and also physical despite being a frail magician), but she’s even more fragile than Marisa or Sanae. She has mastery of all 7 elemental magic, although her light and dark attack are limited to her Spellcard, and her mystic attack is limited to her Last Spell. Patchouli has innate resistance against dark and weakness to light.

Her unique weapon is Book, a strike attribute weapon that act as a cross between axe and staff. I prefer to equip her with Staff as it provides more MAtk than her Books. She can only equip small type armor and shield.

Her Last Word is Big Bang, an extremely powerful non-elemental magic attack that hits all enemies and ignores Reflect.

The MP-draining passive is good to have for our mages as it helps them conserve MP.

There’s a place I’d like to go before we head to the next stage.

Reimu’s knocks her door pretty hard.

: Yes, the door’s open.

Ah, Reimu. She’s still impolite as always.

: And you’ve brought guests, on top of that. Just what brought you here…?

: …That’s a foolish question, isn’t it?

: You’ve got the right idea. We came to ask for your thoughts about who could be behind the incident.

: Akyuu… Could you help us out?

I like her counterpart in the sequel game of this series. That’s why I used her sprite to represent Akyuu here.

Man, that’s lame…

: Though I am currently investigating various parts of the incident, there are a lot of aspect of it that I’m very unfamiliar with, and if I have to be honest, I’m at a total loss right now.

The culprit is really good at hiding themselves.

: Oh… Is that so.

: Hmm, ya sure ya can’t do anything? Even if ya don’t have info on the culprit, we’d love any other help ya could give.

: Let me see…

: What are these…?

This is the most aspect to increase our strength.

: They’re records of what items are needed to create others, and how.

: I heard Rinnosuke of Kourindou has started taking on synthesis work, so if you bring these to him, I think he’ll be of some help.

: Ooh, synthesis! I heard about that from Kourin.

Kourin is Marisa’s nickname for Rinnosuke.

That’s where I’m heading next after all.

: I guess so. Maybe we’ll stop by if we find the time, then.

: I may be able to provide more help later on. Please stop by whenever you’re in the village.

Be sure to visit Akyuu regularly after every dungeon.

: We will. Thanks, Akyuu.

: I’m simply performing my duty as the head of the Hieda clan, that’s all.

She gives us the crafting recipe for elemental weapon, armor, and shield.

Akyuu will provide the party with more crafting recipes after a certain milestone. This ranges from defeating certain story bosses, recruiting new characters, and killing certain number of enemies. This one can go up to 20.000 kills!!! Holy crap!

Our business here is done. Next up is Kourindou.

Huh? I can’t enter it. Guess I need to enter Forest of Magic first.

BGM: Forest of Magic 1 Theme

This Forest is also the where Marisa and Alice build their house.

: Is this where the culprit in question is hiding…?

: That’s correct.

: Rather, as much as I’d like it to be correct, it’s merely a possibility. After all, I have yet to really investigate the mist all that much.

Yeah, no way we find the bad guy on the third stage.

: Ayaya… Why’s that?

: I mean, I had no intention of even leaving the Scarlet Devil Mansion in the first place. I had intended to leave all this to the Hakurei shrine maiden.

Unfortunate, Reimu is also too lazy and had to be forced to do her job.

: That mindset is awfully reliant on others, isn’t it?

Her library is huge. And there’s also a maid to tend her need. No need for her to go out.

: The Forest o’ Magic, huh… It feels like I’m going home, not resolvin’ an incident. Doesn’t really get me pumped up.

: Well, I want to resolve this already so I can go home. Another reason we’re hurrying in to apprehend Alice.

: But it’s not like we know she’s the culprit yet, right?

: That’s irrelevant.

That’s her modus operandi. She’ll accuse anyone that can potentially create the incident and pick a fight with them. Repeat until she pinned down the culprit.

: (We, too, met with the same fate…)

: Oh? Come to think of it, that’s Kourindou over there.

Yep. There it is!

: Kourin’s got all sorts o’ rare stuff, and he’s started doin’ this “synthesis” thing, too.

Exactly what we needed for our journey.

: Good idea. We might stop by if the need arises.

Nonono! You got this wrong, Reimu!

: Come on, everyone.

: Ayup.

Kourindou first. Forest of Magic second.

Welcome to Kourindou, the crafting shop. We’ll be going to this shop a lot as equipment crafting is an essential part of the game.

: Don’t mind us stoppin’ by, Kourin.

: This is quite the rare ensemble…

: We’re just out for some business. We figured we stop by on the way, Rinnosuke.

: Perfect timing, then. Today’s been a slow day, so I’ve been bored.

Oh yeah? Is there anyone here who isn’t bored off their asses?

: Don’t you mean “another” slow day?

: Haha, harsh.

I mean, who wants to buy a rusted torpedo? You gotta learn the market in order to gain customers.

: Anyway, Kourin. You aren’t all that strong physically, right? Youkai are collapsin’ out there left ‘nright. Are you doin’ okay…?

: Well…

: Thanks to that, I’m not affected all that much.

: Oh, okay. Guess we’re good to come by then, huh? We’re here to try out that “synthesis” thing you told me about before.

: Synthesis, huh? I’ve been eager to finally put my skills to use. You guys are actually my first customers when it comes to synthesis.

: We’re the first, huh… That kind of worries me. Is this really going to work?

Don’t worry. It’ll work 100% of the time.

: Hahaha, you’ve got nothing to worry about. Synthesis is no more than the combination and joint crafting of multiple materials.

: As well as the required materials for what you want to make.

: Synthesis recipes, you say?

: We’ve already got some, Kourin.

: Oho. Let me give you an extra one, then.

This is what I want. Rinnosuke gives us the first tier of unique weapons and armors (armors are only for Sanae and Sakuya).
: If you bring me a recipe like this one along with the required materials, I’ll make you whatever you like.

: Hmm, I still don’t get it at all.

Crafting stuff is easy. Finding the required materials is way harder.

This is what we want to craft. Unique weapons tends to benefit the party member the most compared to regular generic weapon and armor. But the problem is we won’t have enough materials to craft everyone’s unique weapon. So we gotta prioritize which character’s unique equipment we want to make.

I have a question for you: Can you guess how many party members we will get in this game by looking at the equippable screen?

We return to the 3rd stage, the Forest of Magic. It’s about the size of stage 1 & 2 combined.

The enemies here are represented with a walking mushroom.

We got 2 new enemies. First we have the staff wielding Fairy. She has 130 HP and weak to dark. She’s slightly stronger than the Fairy Maid. That’s it.

Then we have a scary killer plant. Vampire Thorns has 108 HP, resists thunder, and stab, and is weak to fire, and slash. It counters any attack with Drain, which can potentially restore any damage done to it. Try to kill it in one shot with Marisa’s magic or Sakuya’s giant sword.

Lower leveled character does get increased EXP gain when fighting higher leveled enemies. This makes it easier for them to catch up.

There’s the sword and Axe wielding Fairies. Sword Fairy has 140 HP, and weak to dark. She has the second sword weapon skill: Razor Wind, a column targeting attack. Aside from that, she’s not all that threating either.

The Axe Fairy has 160 HP and weak to dark. Axes hit hard. I always prioritized them to the point of her never getting a single attack to my party.

Yes! Material drop. The enemies here have better chance to drop materials.

poo poo! Demon type enemy. Infant Demon has 232 HP, resists dark, and weak to light. The demon and angel are easily the most dangerous enemy in the stage. Their hard hitting dark elemental magic and physical attack are dangerous, especially when Sakuya and Nitori are still at level 1. It’s best to use Reimu’s spellcard to nuke them before they can wipe out the party.

As for the angel type enemy… Well, they exist.

It’s a straight upgrade to Reimu’s previous Amulet.

Slimes, a staple of JRPGs foe. The Ochre Jelly has 61 HP, heavily resists physical attacks, and weak to fire and water. Always use magic against slimes.

I hate crows, they’re such an annoying bastard. The crow is called Death Fritter, it has 94 HP, resists earth and weak to thunder and stab. Crows have high enough speed to the point they always move first. They can also use Swoop to deal quick damage and potentially Topple someone and cancel their turn. Attacking them with physical attack isn’t reliable since their 20 Eva allows them to potentially evade the attack. Use thunder magic instead to one shot them. Hopefully, they don’t cancel Marisa’s turn.

There’s plenty of plant based enemies in the forest. The living mushroom is called Matango. It has 320 HP, resists thunder, and weak to fire and earth. It’s will attempt to inflict poison to one of your party member and it will counter any attack by inflicting sleep to its attacker. Have Res buff ready when fighting the status inflicting mushroom. It can potentially drop Ring of Potential I (POT +4)

The furball enemy is called Kedama. It has 65 HP and no resistance or weakness. It’s the most basic enemy in the game. I don’t think it has any skills whatsoever. Basic attack is enough to kill it, no need to waste your MP fighting it.

Colosseo World is a field skill that disables all healing. In most scenario, my party need healing more than the enemies. So it’s a niche skill.

We can obtain more materials from the treasure chests.

Alice, why are you leaving your doll in the open?

Interacting with the doll will make it disappear, and the magic circle that’s blocking the path will disappear as well.

That’s the gimmick of the stage. Our path forward will most likely be blocked by the magic circle. We need to remove the doll to open the way forward.

There are 3 paths we can take from here: north, south, or west.

I’ll take the north path first.

There’s also status effect resistance accessories hidden in the treasure chest.

We can get through the invisible path marked with trees with lighter leaves.

This is Marisa’s house. Unfortunately, we can’t enter her house. Probably because her house is too messy.

There’s also Sakuya’s character material in Marisa’s garden.

With this, we can craft Sakuya’s unique weapon. Do take note that her first tier weapon has a slayer against Reptile, Insect, and Aquatic enemies. The Reptile and Aquatic part is important.

: Nice work, Kourin!

: Hahaha. Thanks, Marisa.

: This should help us with resolving the incident.

: By the way, how much do we owe you?

: I don’t need any money.

This is the reason why there’s no currency system in the game.

: Oh, how kind of you.

: By all means, come by Kourindou again.

: Okay, we will.

: I’ll look forward to your next visit.

We’ll definitely be coming back here a lot.

: Oh, I nearly forgot. I actually compiled all the gear you’re holding into a book. I’ll add any gear you create with synthesis too, of course.

: That’s exactly right. I’ll put it on the bookshelf to the left, so feel free to give it a read.

We can access the item compendium by interacting with this book. Although there’s little point in doing it.

Sakuya’s PAtk is really high. The other party member still only have around 40-50 PAtk.

I really like Sakuya in this game.

We’re taking the southern path next in the intersection.

This is Sanae’s character material.

Character material is harder to obtain from enemy drop since it’s drop rate averages around 1% chance to drop.

I already removed the doll, but the magic barrier’s still up. So that one is powered with more than 1 doll.

There’s the other doll. Now the magic barrier is down.

There’s a new area on the east. Let’s go there first before we go past the magic barrier.

*sigh*… Another annoying enemy. I don’t like turtle. Land Turtle 280 HP, 80 PDef, resists fire, slash, stab, and weak to water. The turtle can shield its teammates and soak up damage meant for them. And the turtle itself is bulky enough to withstand several attack done to it. On the offensive side, it has Fang Crush, a decently damaging 2-hit attack. Have Marisa or Sakuya kill it with extreme prejudice.

There’s the Spear wielding Fairy. She has 150 HP, and weak to dark. She has the same 2 Spear weapon skills.

Even a walking computer chip is trying to kill us. That thing is called Pr. It has 81 HP, immune to light and dark and weak to thunder. Computer chip’s signature skill is Bug, a skill that can inflict Paralysis to everyone. It’s annoying when the status effect lands. Fortunately, it’s not dangerous if it’s not accompanied by other enemies.

That’s another giant insect. Oni Moth has 195 HP, 30 EVA, resists earth and strike and is weak to thunder and stab. It has a poison inflicting skill that target everyone, and the poison is strong enough to kill anyone in 3 hit. Either kill it fast or have a Res buff to protect the party.

It took me a while to encounter the last enemy of the stage. I need to go out of my way just to encounter her. Yuki Onna has 250 HP, immune to water and weak to fire and light. She has some nasty multi-target water elemental spells. Try to not give her a chance to move and kill her fast with Marisa or Reimu.

PDef buff. By the way, she doesn’t learn MDef buff for quite a while. And the buff costs a bomb to use. MDef is such a valuable value.

This Field skill increase the chance of inflicting Instant Death. I prefer to use Sakuya to hit very hard instead of relying on Instant Death.

Freaking rope is blocking the way. And no, we can’t jump over it. Instead, we got to go around the area to reach the treasure.

At least the reward is pretty good. This staff provides good amount of MAtk and buff fire spells.

We got Reimu’s and Marisa’s character material inside this hidden area.

There’s another set of dolls. One down.

That’s doll number two just nearby.

This is the last of the side area. I’m running low on MP, so I started avoiding the enemies.

Accessory with light resistance. This goes to Patchouli to cover her innate weakness.

More defense for the mage type character.

Exiting the stage through this method also fully restores the party. No need to find the nearest healing circle.

Back in the intersection, we’ll go west this time.

There’s tall grass blocking the way. We just need to touch it to get rid of it.

We get a new large armor and a Long Sword from this side area.

And now, we go past the second magic barrier.

Mmm… Yummy… (It’s an accessory that gives resistance against Blind)

Computer hardware are fragile and should be handled with care. In this game, we can use CD-Rom as a shield. Normally, doing that in real life is stupid things to do.

Exploration is always rewarded in this game.

This is such an annoying combination. The crows can potentially cancel someone’s turn and leave them vulnerable to the chip’s paralysis.

Nice! Chaser skill. It’s an integral part of Nitori’s skillset.

Chaser: Follow up any attack of the Chased element.

It’s recommended to pair her with Marisa and Patchouli to get the most benefit of her chaser skill.

The last magic barrier requires removing 3 dolls.

At this point, I started getting desperate since my running low on MP. Again. And I feel that the finish line is close.

poo poo! There’s no way to reach the next area from here.

Why didn’t I see the hidden path in the previous area?

There’s an enemy encounter hidden underneath the trees.

Whoa, that’s a lot of Kedamas. One all-targeting spellcard and they all turns into sweet EXP and Pow.

Whew… We finally reached the rest area.

I see the cleverly hidden treasure chest! There are 2 chests in the rest area.

Aaaah… Touching healing circle after numerous battle and running on low MP is pretty comforting.

Removing the doll in the area will open the boss room and shortcut back to the entrance. The next boss is more complex than the previous boss.

Please wait patiently while I prepare for the next boss fight.

Next time on Genius of Sappheiros: The Seven Colored Puppeteer

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Most of the character stuff I just kind of nod and go "yep, that's a way to implement that Touhou in a turn-based RPG."

And then for some reason, Sakuya has a giant sword right out of Berserk. :psyduck:

I suspect Patchy's got Strength because her design intent is that her offense is Yes no matter what type, and her defense is I Do Not Understand The Question.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sakuya's giant sword might be a reference to Yumeko from Mystic Square, who filled a similar character niche but didn't show up in the post-PC98 series. She was also a blade-throwing maid, except instead of throwing knives like Sakuya she had an oversized sword.

Assuming the highlighted armor is equip-all, it looks like the maximum number of character slots that can fit into the space is 21- kind of a lot, but seems about right assuming the party gets about 3-4 characters per Windows game.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

kvx687 posted:

Sakuya's giant sword might be a reference to Yumeko from Mystic Square, who filled a similar character niche but didn't show up in the post-PC98 series. She was also a blade-throwing maid, except instead of throwing knives like Sakuya she had an oversized sword.

Yeah, she uses throwing blades. But her blade isn't that big.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

I see Meiling is still sleeping on the job.

It’s not right for a gatekeeper to leave the front gate wide open and vulnerable. Let’s wake her up by kicking her.

She needs to be kicked a grand total of 256 times to wake her up. This takes about 2 minutes of holding the A button.

: Good morning, Meiling.

: *yawn*

: Let me sleep a little longer, Sakuya… Here, I’ll give you a secret manual… *grumble*

It’s the only unlockable 2 person formation. Not like we will ever use only 2 person in the party when we have 7 party members.

: She fell back asleep… Goodness, she sure does sleep a lot.

Apparently, Sakuya is pretty satisfied with Meiling’s gift. So she doesn’t punish her this time.

Stage 3 – Boss

Okay, we’re about to fight the next boss.

Before that, I did a little grinding to increase Sakuya’s and Nitori’s level since they’re close to level up.

Sakuya learned her signature spell: Private Square. It’s her time stop ability. Private Square lets her stop time for 2 turns. Nothing is immune to her time stop. Even bosses will be stopped in their track. It is incredibly useful spell. But right now, though, she barely has enough MP to cast it.

The next boss is a bit more complex. We need resistance toward status effect, physical elemental attack, magical elemental attack, and the ability to burst damage in a single turn.

Because of this, I distribute Reimu’s, Sakuya’s, and Marisa’s Pow toward maximizing their damage output.

This’ll be enough to defeat the next boss.

Hi there, Alice. How was your day?

: (A mist that won’t clear, and incessantly collapsing youkai… It seems clear that youkai are the only targets of this incident.)

: (The problem is this mist’s makeup…)

We see Alice is also investigating it. So she’s not the culprit.

It’s Alice doll, ready to serve her master.

THE DOLL IS SO CASUAL WHEN SPEAKING WITH ITS MASTER.

: Oh my, welcome home. How did it go out there?

: AYUP. INVESTIGATIN’ WAS NO PROBLEM.

IT ALSO TALKS JUST LIKE MARISA.

: I see. I’d like to ask for your report, then.

: YOU GOT IT.

: Hmm.

: I see…

She makes better progress in the investigation than Reimu did.

: THAT’S HOW ALL THE YOUKAI THAT COULD TALK SAID IT FELT FOR ‘EM.

: Thank you. Good work today.

: YEP, I’M GONNA GET SOME SLEEP.

BYE. NICE SEEING YOU.

Wait. Does a doll needs sleep?

: It seems my guess wasn’t at all off the mark.

: (But if she’s behind this, then why only youkai…?)

: There you are, Alice!

We’re investigating the same thing, right? Maybe we can talk things out and avoid fight?

: Geez, you sure wasted a lot of my time.

: So you’ve finally made it here. I didn’t think you’d make it past my barriers.

: Were those supposed to be impressive or somethin’?

Not really. Those are easy to remove.

: More importantly--

: Give yourself up!

Dammit Reimu! Stop it with the random accusation.

: M-Me? The culprit…?

: What nonsense are you going on about, Reimu?

: But according to Lady Patchouli, she felt something similar to magical energy from this mist, so she concluded that it’s likely a witch’s doing…

: Magical energy…?

: What…?

: I, too, can feel something akin to a flow of magical energy from magical mist, but I’m surprised THAT’S as far as you’ve investigated…

: It seems the witch of the Scarlet Devil Mansion isn’t so impressive after all.

: Pfh!

ICEBURN!!!

: I’m far from the culprit – I’ve been investigating the mist this entire time.

: Really? That’s sort of suspicious…

Why it’s so suspicious? I don’t get it?

: But if you’re unrelated to the incident, then why are you investigating the mist…?

: I’m not unrelated. I’m a victim of the mist’s effects as well.

: But this mist can’t be havin’ THAT big on an effect on ya, can it? Why are ya goin’ putta your way to investigate it?

: I-It’s just my natural curiosity as a witch… But don’t go getting the wrong idea!

: so maybe she’d be happy if I investigated the mist for her!”

: It’s NOTHING like that, got it!?

Sure, Alice. And you certainly don’t make your doll’s personality based on Marisa.

: Well yeah, ‘course not.

: Pfh!

It’s a cat fight!

: Oh, silly me, were you able to hear that? Do forgive me.

: I sense a small scoop from this!

: C’mon, fight, fight…!

Fight! Fight!

: We shouldn’t fight! We don’t know who the culprit is yet…

Sanae remains as the voice of reason.

: You’re right.

: You agree, Reimu?

There’s no avoiding the fight anyway. Might as well get it over with.

: Very well…

Time to solve the misunderstanding by force.

Alice is our first solo boss. Kind of.

Alice has 1500 HP, and she has no resistances of weaknesses. She can’t actually fight us all by herself. So she will summon her dolls on the first turn to do the fighting for her.

: These doll’s barriers will block your attacks.

So long as Alice has her doll active, she will take reduced damage from us and she also get 40 HP regen (MP regen as well, but her MP total is 600 MP, so it’s unlikely she’ll run out of MP).

The Elemental Shanghai Doll has 300 HP, immune to light, dark, heavily resists their own element resists all physical attack, and weak against their opposing element (Fire doll is weak to water, thunder doll is weak to earth and vice versa).

The doll will shoot elemental magic at you. It doesn’t deal that much damage, but there’s 4 attacks coming your way. So try kill them before they can kill you. Alice will mostly try to inflict status effects or Dispel your buff. Buff the party’s Res to stop her from disabling your party.

Try to destroy the formation fast. At turn 4, Alice will buff the doll and make them deal more damage. And you don’t want them to last until turn 9.

Nice! All the doll are destroyed. She’s vulnerable now. We got one turn to pile as much damage to her before she summons another set of dolls.

I made another mistake. I should’ve used Aya as a commander for her Commander Ability 2 which grants Action Initiative to the entire party instead of Patchouli. I’m too focused on trying to maximize my damage output.

: Can you break through my wall of dolls?

That’s because Alice’s Create Doll has an action priority. So it’ll always casted first before our party can move.

She has 3 dolls formation. Once we destroy all of them, she become completely helpless.

We can either try to kill her in the small window we got after her current set of doll are all destroyed, or we can eliminate all her dolls first.

drat! Marisa’s Final Spark is wasted.

The Shield Shanghai Doll has 200 HP, 100 PDef, immune to dark and light, heavily resists all physical attacks, and weak to fire, water, earth, and thunder. Alice takes greatly reduced damage while this formation is active. These dolls also use elemental attack against you, and there’s 5 attacks coming at your direction.

Physical attacks are completely useless against those dolls. So we use magic to completely demolish them all.

drat! Sakuya is on rampage!

: Have a good taste of these doll’s sharp blades!

Spear Doll has 200 HP, immune to light and dark, resists all physical attacks, and extremely weak (As in takes 8x damage) to fire, water, earth, and thunder. Although for some reason, it doesn’t take any damage from magic attack despite having 0 MDef. So have Nitori’s elemental physical attack to one shot it.

Ribbon Slice is pretty dangerous. It can attack 2-6 times with a single skill. Although this skill does have low accuracy to compensate.

Yes! Alice is finally down! This battle is in our bag.

The dolls goes down soon after that.

So I ended up destroying all her dolls formation.

: You lost, Alice! Now stop this mist!

: I told you, I’m not the culprit…

: I knew it.

: …If you’re still insisting it’s not you, then you’re probably telling the truth.

: So, the Forest of Magic was a dead end… Who’s our next candidate, then…?

: You know anything, Alice?

: Good grief… You ignore what I say, attack me, then ask for my thoughts?

I agree. Reimu’s brute method is not effective.

: Ahaha… I apologize.

Sanae is the only heroic member in the party.

: So, how about it, Alice?

: Well, let’s see…

: To be honest, I don’t know who the culprit is either.

: What’s that? After all that confidence, your knowledge is barely any different than mine?

: Hmph. Don’t go lumping me in with you, please. I’m one step ahead when it comes to understanding the makeup of the mist.

: The makeup of the mist? Is there something we don’t know…?

: That’s what all the victims of the mist are saying, apparently.

: Aya, Nitori, Patchouli… Does that sound familiar to you?

: Ayaaa, now that you mention it…

: Yes, and thanks to that, my body is in shambles…

You can still run, casts magic, and hits very hard with your book.

: So what’re ya tryin’ to say?

: Oh, I understand now.

: Yes, precisely.

: What’s all this about?

: C’mon, let us in on it too.

: You’re so dense.

: Oh!

: Ah!

: I see…

: “Yuyuko” as in the one from the Netherworld…?

: Right, the mistress of Hakugyokurou.

: Yuyuko… I see. I could definitely see her being behind this incident.

Really? Because I don’t. Sure she can manipulate death, but she’s too chill to cause a large scale incident like this.

: That makes it easy, then.

We got our next objective.

: I’ll accompany you, then. I already started investigating, so I’d like to see this through to the end.

And we also got a new party member as well.

: I don’t mind as long as you don’t get in our way. With the big group we’ve got, one more person shouldn’t hurt.

How could you say that, Reimu? She’s an extremely valuable party member.

: That aside, even if we barge into the Netherworld, ya think Yuyuko’s actually gonna admit to bein’ the culprit?

: That’s a good point…

I can see the last second word swap.

: I mean, bring Satori along? Nobody can lie in front of her, after all.

: If Yuyuko is the culprit, we’ll know straight away.

: Hey, that’s a good idea! She’s too handy of an item to NOT capture!

: I-Item…?

: (Poor Satori)

This is our protagonist.

Most of the time, we get new party member after defeating them in boss fight.

We also get a new formation based on Alice.

Next time on Genius of Sappheiros: The Former Hell

Bonus Video: Stage 3 - Boss Fight

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 3, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You have something wrong in your macros for the portraits for Patchouli and Nitori.

(Also, as for the Scarlet Mansion doghouse, they do in fact have a pet Chupacabra.)

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Oh crap! This is what happens when I'm not double checking my post. My mistake. Thanks for notifying me about it. It's fixed now.

And here I thought the poor gatekeeper is forced to sleep in the doghouse.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Stage 4 - Part 1

Before we can head to Hakugyokurou, we first need to head underground to “recruit” a certain “useful” ally.

We did recruit Alice after we beat her in a boss fight.

Alice is perhaps one of the most essential party member in the game. She’s a tank. She can soak up a lot of hits and remains standing due to her very high amount of HP and PDef, she can also use her shield skill to protect her teammates from harm. She is so good at what she does that just having her in the frontline greatly increases the party’s survivability and makes boss fight significantly easier. In fact, a common self-imposed challenge of this game is by not using Alice.

Her unique weapon is Legguards/Greaves, a strike attribute weapon with low attack power. Then again, she’s not built to kick enemies to death. She can equip all armor and shield. In fact, the strongest armor and shield in the inventory should be given to her. She has innate resistance against stab attribute. Her Last Word is Alice Guard, a self-buff which makes her immune to all damage for 3 turns.

Her Commander Ability is as follows:
Command Power: Shield Activation Rate +15%
Commander Spell 1: Seven-Colored Doll: Increases shield activation rate to 100%
Commander Spell 2: Alice Formation: Doubles your formation bonus

Since she started at level 1, we should put her in Commander Slot to grind her up to speed.

It’s nice for the game to tell us that there’s new set of recipes from Akyuu.

: I hear that Alice is both a skilled magician and puppeteer. You must have had a very difficult battle.

Her doll formation is pretty troublesome. But other than that, nah!

: I’ll present you with these recipes to commemorate your hard work. I hope they help you resolve the incident.

She’ll give us Alice’s first tier unique weapon and Reimu’s and Aya’s first unique weapon. Again, Alice isn’t built to kick enemies, we should save the materials for her armor instead.

95% resistance to Death and Remove. Yes, please.

The next dungeon is the Former Hell, which is located on the north of Scarlet Devil Mansion.

We enter the underground through this hole.

Nice of them to provide stairs. Denizen of hell also obey OSHA.

: Do we really have to go through here…?

: We don’t have any choice.

Going here is your idea, Reimu.

We can’t just go straight to the palace. We need to clear another stage before that.

: Isn’t that right, Nitori?

: Yeah, that’s right. I heard Yuugi got drunk and wrecked the place. So it’s off-limit right now.

Oni and their drunken brawl.

: So as a result, we’re stuck passing through the Hell of Blazing Fires…

Pretty scary name for a stage.

Summer + Lava. Can’t imagine the sheer temperature of the place.

: Hey, why do you know that, anyway?

: Eh? The kappa know about the Underground because they manage this place, so info naturally ends up coming my way.

: Kanako and the other mountain dwellers were part o’ that too, right? You two didn’t know anythin’ about this? Sanae, Aya.

: No, I didn’t. The tengu don’t really associate with the Underground. We try our best to stay out of its affairs.

: I didn’t know about this, either.

: When it comes to Undeground Geyser Center, I believe Lady Kanako and Lady Suwako leads and manage it, but they don’t tell me anything.

Suspicious.

: Which means that even though there are elevators, I don’t have the authority to operate them.

: Hmm.

: Which means that we’ll have to walk through the Hell of Blazing Fires…

: Do you have the authority to use the elevators, Nitori?

: Nope.

Why would it requires authority? They should’ve opened the elevators to the public.

: Oh, well.

Right, then. Don’t forget to bring plenty of water. The place is scorching hot.

BGM: Former Hell Theme

Stage 4, Hell of Blazing Fire is a fire cave. There’s flames and lava everywhere.

There’s also purple flames blocking the way.

Pressing the floor panel will remove a certain purple flame on the current area. The gimmick is a simpler version of the doll gimmick from the previous stage.

The enemies here are represented by a feet. A walking sentient feet. What?

Expect to encounter plenty of fire-based enemies in the fire cavern. The flame creature is called Flame. It has a simple name. It has 165 HP, resists fire, and weak to water. While it has both single target and multi target fire based spell, it doesn’t deal enough to threaten the party. And besides, water elemental attack will most likely kill it in one shot.

It has a chance to drop Kagerou Amulet, an accessory that grants 75% fire resistance, fire elemental attack boost, and 25% weakness against water.

The spear wielding creature is called Xingtian. It has 280 HP, resists strike, and weak to stab. Its stab based attack is nothing to write home about. It does however capable of inflicting curse, a pretty dangerous status effect.

Curse: Takes recoil damage whenever the cursed character attack an enemy.

Right, a snake creature. Hell’s Snake Devil has 260 HP, resists earth and dark, and weak to thunder and light. It can also inflict Curse and its Tentacle attack demolishes any character with low PDef. It’s a troublesome enemy.

Snek!

Hell Cobra has 230 HP resists earth and strike, and weak to water and slash. Its normal attack can inflict poison that can kill someone in 2-3 turns. Fortunately, it has low chance to inflict it.

Sakuya is brutal! Weakness damage + Slayer effect + Sakuya very high PAtk can lead to her dealing really high damage.

Ah. Another staple of JRPG foe. The Skeleton has 300 HP, heavily resists stab, resists dark, and weak to fire, light, and strike. Its normal attack can inflict Blind. It’s a pretty annoying enemy.

poo poo! Another demon! Infant Demon has 310 HP, resists dark and weak to light. Its dark based magic is even more powerful, and it also carries an axe that can deal very high physical damage. Definitely one of more dangerous enemy in the stage. Kill it fast. Use spellcard if needed.

The last enemy in the vicinity is also the least threatening of the bunch. Zombie Fairy has 190 HP, resists stab and weak to fire and light. They’re the Kedama of this stage.

The majority of Alice’s skill are defensive skill. I think she only get 2 offensive skills from levelling up (discounting learnable weapon skills).

We press this button to extinguish the flame and open the path that leads to the treasure.

A dead end. We can only open it from the other side.

That purple flame is thick enough that it requires 2 button to fully remove it.

Whose character material is this? It certainly not Sakuya’s. Maybe we’ll get another party member that uses sword.

I don’t see any Golden Key nearby. Maybe it’s on the next area on the left?

There’s another big purple flame. We can extinguish this one.

After all, the 2 buttons are located nearby.

I see the hidden pathway that’ll lead to the treasure chest.

I think it’s a pretty rare material.

We open a shortcut back to the starting area.

Nice. There’s the golden key.

And there’s also a berserk resistance accessory.

We can now open the door and access the next section.

This marks the halfway point of the stage. With that, there’s new additional enemy encounter.

Uuuuuh… Good boy? Hellhound has 265 HP, resists fire and weak to water and earth. It has fire breath that targets everyone. Fortunately, breath based attack doesn’t become dangerous until around mid-game.

Breath attack target all character and ignores 75% of target’s MDef. Elemental resistance and breath deflection skills are the best way to mitigate it.

Okay… A living stone. Sessho Seki has 150 HP, resists slash, and stab, and weak to light. It can inflict Instant Death on your character. Kill it fast with light magic.

Holy crap! That’s a scary looking lizard. Salamander has 600 HP, immune to fire and weak to water. It can use its tail to Topple someone and cancel their turn, and I think it also has fire breath? I usually try to kill it fast before it can get second turn.

It’s a straight upgrade for Reimu’s Dream Seal. It has more power, executed faster and it only costs 2 more MP.

Revival skill is rare and consumes bomb. I think there’s only 2 sources of revive, and one of them is from Sanae.

Another golden door. We almost reached the finish line.

You have a unique (and static) sprite. You must be the mini boss. I’m taking care of you once I fully healed the party.

Nice! PAtk +10

More power for Sakuya. Not even Nitori, the other physical oriented character have PAtk that big.

One flame down.

And that’s two.

That’s the second golden key.

The most powerful shield in the inventory should be given to Alice.

In the later portion of the stage, this enemy formation will appear. It’s a dangerous formation filled with enemies with varying weaknesses. Delete them quickly, preferably with your spellcards.

Heh. That skill name. It’s spelled “Napalm”.

This one open a shortcut back into the starting area. This one skips a big chunk of the area.

Okay. We’re almost finished.

This stage is shorter than Forest of Magic. It’s likely to compensate for the fact that there’s another stage in the dungeon.

Before we finish this part, we’ll fight the miniboss first.

The miniboss is a girl in a bucket. Kisume has 1750 HP, resists fire, water, light, and dark, and is weak to thunder.

She uses a unique strategy. First, she charge up her attack with either Gather Strength or Focus Magic.

Then on the next turn, she’ll unleash a very powerful single target physical or magic attack, depending on which charge skill she used previously. The attack is powerful enough to one shot anyone.

So, the strategy of this fight is to have Alice provoke Kisume so that Kisume’s attack is only directed to Alice, and then have Alice use Physical Guard, or Magic Guard in response to Kisume’s incoming attack. With this, she’ll blunt Kisume’s attack with no problem.

Who needs exploiting weakness when Sakuya can just takes out half her HP with her spellcard.

I like this miniboss fight. It’s unique and requires a different approach to beat it.

The reward for the miniboss is just 2 materials. It’s fine. We did get large amount of EXP from Kisume.

Next up: The actual boss. Coming soon on the next update.

Next time on Genius of Sappheiros: The cute, yet also very dangerous pets.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I was too late to mention this earlier but. I like how the shield dolls in Alice's second formation are using little Gundam shields. Specifically the RX-78's shield. They've even got the red color, the hole up top to see through, and the yellow star

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Of course that's her spellcard pose in this game. Why wouldn't it be.

I like how the stage progression is "library, magic forest, LITERAL HELL," but that's Touhou for you.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

The next boss is actually pretty dangerous. For the wrong reason.

The next boss doesn’t hit hard enough to warrant Alice’s protection. So I think I can get by without her. Anyway, the boss will use mystic and fire based attack. We do have plenty of fire resisting equipment to protect them from fire based attack. But unfortunately, we don’t have mystic resisting equipment. So we just have to endure it.

For the offense. Bring water, and light elemental attack. This is why I used Patchouli instead of Marisa.

I did craft this accessory for additional layer of fire protection.

And also Reimu’s unique armor. I did use her as a pseudo-tank for my main party.

I also increase Reimu’s spellcard damage. This will be important.

Okay, let’s head to the next fight.

We see one of Satori’s pet, Okuu while she does her daily routine. She is a nuclear powered crow.

: The fire’s looking good. The Hell of Blazing Fires is in good form as usual.

Can the flame of the hell be extinguished?

: I’m sick of every day being the same…

Can we make a bingo? See how many character in this game who isn’t bored of their rear end.

: You look kinda bored, Okuu.

This is Satori’s other pet, Orin. She is a hell cat whose job is to bring any deceased person into the Hell of Blazing Fire with her cart.

: Did you bring some corpses for fuel?

: Nope. I’m just tending to the vengeful spirits as usual.

: More importantly, you sure this is okay, Okuu?

: Am I sure what’s okay?

: It looks like we’ve got some intruders.

I see they also been alerted to our presence.

: Ah, I guess you’re right. But it’s probably just some lost youkai again, right? They’ll just burn to nothing like usual.

: Yeah, I guess so.

Our party is not some weakling that can be burned by the hellfire.

: Yep.

To be fair for them, there’s nothing here except for fire and lava.

: Come to think of it, I heard something’s neat happening up topside.

: Is there?

: Not like we have anything to do with it, though, being underground and all…

Unfortunately, Reimu does want something from the underground.

: I’m hungry…

: Yeah…

: Hmph! You two…

The party crasher is here. As usual.

Yes. They’re the pets.

: Oh, it’s you guys!

I like Okuu’s facial expression.

: Yep, she’s a birdbrain as always.

: I don’t have any treats for you today.

No skipping boss fight with bribes.

: So what are you doing down here, anyway?

: We’ve come to meet with Komeiji Satori.

: The usual route seems to be closed off, so we thought we’d pass through here to the palace courtyard.

: Ah, I see.

: …You came all the way to the Hell of Blazing Fires just for that? Seems a little fishy to me…

: Yeah. You’re right…

We’re nice guys. I swear.

: (Y’know… I don’t think they’ll let us pass if we tell what we’re really here for.)

: (Hmm… You’re probably right.)

Maybe don’t mention the reason you’re visiting the palace?

: (Why don’t we try some treats, then? They’re just pets, so I’m sure we could win them over with food.)

: (Good idea. I don’t have any with me, though.)

: (Would cucumbers work? I’ve got some on me.)

: (Let’s try it, then.)

I don’t think bribing them with treats will work.

: Fishy? Well, that’s rude.

: You’re so nice, Reimu! Go on through!

It works?

: (What a dunce…)

: Don’t let her win you over like that!

: …Hmph.

: Huh!?

: O-Oh, I totally lost myself there…

: Your share’s right here.

There’s plenty of cucumbers for everyone.

: You’re so nice, Reimu! Go on through!

: (Two peas in a pond, those two…)

We tamed the pets. We’ll be going through now. See you and goodbye!

: O-Okuu…!

: Oh! Whew, that was close… She almost won me over, too…

Bribing attempt: Failed!

: You’re making fun of us, aren’t you?

: There’s definitely something fishy going on here! You’re not getting by us!

: (So in the end, it still comes to this…)

: Ugh, geez, what a hassle…!

There’s always a boss fight at the end of a stage.

: Allow us to show you, then --

: --Just how frightening of a pair we are.

I have experience in beating dual boss. You both are next!

We have another dual boss. We need to beat the duo of Okuu and Orin. Orin has 1500 HP, 30% magic barrier, heavily resists fire, and is weak to water.

Okuu has 2000 HP, 30 EVA, 30% physical barrier, heavily resists fire, and is weak to light.

Physical/Magic Barrier: Reduces physical/magical attack received by a certain percentage.

Orin will use fire based attack against the party. Since everyone is wearing fire resisting equipment, her attacks deals little damage against us. She also capable of inflicting debilitating status effect like Curse, Poison, or Blind.

If there’s a dead party member, she’ll zombify them and turn them to their side. So try to prevent anyone from dying.

Okuu’s Flare hurts a lot. It deals enough damage to kill anyone in 2 hits. Aside from that, she can use Swoop (Turn cancelling attack) that bird-type enemy has and her normal attack can inflict blind.

Patchouli’s magic deals even more damage compared to Marisa’s.

Especially when combined with Nitori’s Chaser.

We want Orin dead first. Okuu is a much troublesome opponent and I don’t want Orin to harass me while I’m dealing with Okuu.

We need to pay close attention to Okuu’s remaining HP.

Because when she has 33% HP remaining, she’ll unleash Mega Flare immediately on the next turn. No charge up sequence or anything. Just an instant middle finger.

It’s a total party kill attack.

Okuu’s boss fight is our first introduction of this game’s cheap trick. Some bosses usually has a powerful attack that will instantly kill the party unless you know the attack is coming. It’s a trial-and-error.

There are multiple ways to negate this attack. We can kill Okuu before she can use Mega Flare. Failing that, we can try to block it with Marisa’s or Nitori’s second support skill.

: nThis’ll be hard unless we cripple or focus our damage on one of them…

And info about Okuu’s Mega Flare would be nice.

I used Aya’s Action Initiative to move first, and then I used everyone’s strongest attack to kill Okuu fast.

Yeah… That’s more than half her HP gone in a single Last Spell.

It’s annoying when a boss wipe your party with no warning.

There! Now kindly move outta my way!

: We’ve beat you! Now get out of our way!

Me and Reimu share the same opinion? It must be a cold day.

: Ugh… You can pass, but…

Don’t worry, we definitely aren’t going to beat her ‘till she’s unconscious and drag her away.

: Geez… Just who do you take me for? I won’t be too rough with her.

: (Hmm… Somehow, that doesn’t sound the least bit convincing…)

: We just, uh, plan on bringing her with us to use as a lie detector. Ya got nothin’ to worry about.

They don’t know what a lie detector is.

: There’s an incident going on aboveground right now, but the culprit we suspect is a rather difficult person to deal with.

: We were just thinking we’d bring Satori along to see through her lies. So you don’t have to worry.

: In that case, well…

Any lives that she lost isn’t our responsibility.

: Yes, yes, we understand.

Next time on Genius of Sapphe-

: Before that, a warning. You two should stay away from the surface.

Oh. We ain’t done yet.

: Unyu?

: The surface is teeming with a mist that eats away at the bodies of youkai. If you don’t want to feel the pain that carries, then stay away – that’s what she means.

: Oh, okay.

: Thanks, we’ll watch out!

Spoiler: We won’t be getting the pets as a party member.

: Once the incident’s resolved, we’ll come by the shrine sometime for lunch!

: (They’re totally hooked on human food, huh…)

: Alright, with that out of the way…

Next time on Genius of Sappheiros: Introduction to the most annoying enemy in the game.

Death Counter: 2

Bonus Video: Stage 4 - Boss Fight

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Stage 5 - Part 1

We finally got out of the hellhole.

: It was sooo hot down there…

She has an innate weakness against fire after all.

: This was the case for the Hell of Blazing Fires as well, but it looks like the incident isn’t affecting the Underground.

: Though it’s that of an incident, it’s still just mist. Of course it won’t drift all the way down to the Underground.

: That was quite the detour we took…

: And we still got a good ways to go. We’ve gotta make it through the Palace o’ the Earth Spirits, after all.

: *sigh*… What a pain.

: Maybe we should have gone straight to the Netherworld after all. It might have been quicker to apprehend Yuyuko by force.

It’s too late to go back now, doesn’t it?

: We’re already here, so we’ve got no choice but to proceed.

Our party is about to form a home invasion against a poor Satori who is just minding her own business.

The Palace of Earth Spirit is more complicated than the Hell of Blazing Fire.

This place is huge! The hallway is big enough to the point that I can easily dodge the enemy encounter if I want to.

I see Satori is a cat person. She put up pictures of a cat almost everywhere. There’s not even pictures of a dog.

I see you also put up pictures of yourself as well, Satori. She’s the owner of this palace after all.

The enemies here is represented with a crow. Sure there’s no crow enemies in the stage, but at least it’s not as creepy as the disembodied feet in the previous stage.

Oh, gently caress me! My most hated enemy is actually the first enemy I encountered. The Squid head is Mental Flayer (originally called Mind Flayer). It has 330 HP, heavily resists fire, water, earth, mystic, light, dark and is only weak to stab. It’s one of the most dangerous enemy in the game. It’s signature Mental Blast (originally called Mind Blast) deals decent mystic damage to everyone on top of having decent chance to inflict paralysis, and its normal attack has a good chance of inflicting Instant Death. Even with only two attack, these are enough to wreck the entire party if you don’t have Res buff ready. Thunder based magic and stab type weapon is the best option to take them down.

It has a chance to drop Energy Booster, a good staff that boosts mystic damage and also give mystic resistance.

Satori is indeed a cat person. Nekomata has 270 HP, and weak to fire, light, and dark. It can inflict Charm. Always has Res buff active because we don’t want a Charmed Sakuya or Marisa to start destroying our party.

It has a chance to drop Dagger of Speed. A Dagger with +25 Agi. It’s a good weapon for Sanae to help her cast buff or healing fast.

This a pretty dangerous formation. These two enemies are the most dangerous enemies in the previous stage

The Zombie Fairy can drop this small armor. It’s a straight up upgrade for Marisa or Patchouli.

I like this column-targeting Amulet. I used it as a mean to crowd control the enemies.

poo poo! That’s DIO’s pet from JoJo Bizarre Adventure part 3. Hell’s Gatekeeper has 600 HP, 35 Eva, heavily resists fire and earth and weak to water and stab. Its Horus Barrier can inflict Magic Interrupt. We basically can’t cast any magic so long as this bird is on the field. Remove it fast with Sakuya or Nitori.

Hmm… How do I get to those silver treasure chests?

Satori, your palace is on fire. Shouldn’t you take care of it before the whole place burn down?

Aside from being really huge, this palace has plenty of invincible paths.

Man, this area is really huge! I think it’s about as big as a soccer field.

In the end, I still have to do everything myself. Extinguishing the flames opens up the shortcut that leads back to the starting area.

One of the glass floor isn’t lit up.

Lighting the candle will lit up the glass. This will also open up the iron gate that was blocking our path.

I should take note of this location and the silver key.

It’s a simple enough gimmick. Yeah… this is basically recolored version of the doll gimmick in Forest of Magic.

I hate this area! It’s really confusing to navigate due to its size and numerous amount of hidden paths. I ended up getting lost in this area.

We need to light up 3 candles to open up the gate.

But I only saw two of the candles. Where’s the last one? I don’t see it anywhere.

Okay, we will eventually recruit a fire bird as a party member. I wonder who though?

Looks like there’s a well hidden treasure. So we basically need to hug every wall we come across just in case there’s hidden path in the area.

I eventually did found the hidden candle.

Our reward is a golden key. This means that going to this place is mandatory.

More armor is always appreciated.

The switch (Which is obscured by Reimu’s body open up another shortcut that leads back to the starting area. This one allows us to skip a big chunk of the stage.

I wonder where all the lighting came from. This palace is located deep underground.

PDef +10. Marisa or Patchouli definitely want this.

There’s 4 unlit candles in this area. Got it!

There’s candle number 2, located on the south east.

Candle number 3 on the south west.

This one is definitely Byakuren’s character material.

I had a problem finding the last candle since it’s pretty well hidden.

There’s a basement area as well? Man, this place is really huge!

Freaking drat! That’s a lot of enemies. The Yin-Yang Orb has 150 HP, immune to light and dark, resists fire, water, earth, and thunder and it has no weaknesses. It can use Destruction Beam which deals a lot of mystic damage to a single character, and it can inflict debilitating status effect like Blind. It’s pretty annoying to kill despite its low HP since it has no weakness.

I hope no one has Arachnophobia. Tsuchigumo has 340 HP, resists all physical attack and weak to earth. Its spider web can debuff your accuracy and speed. It’s an annoying enemy that’s also hard to kill since only Patchouli has access to earth elemental attack.

We also has a giant fish harassing us! Guzu has 750 HP, heavily resists fire and water and is weak to thunder. It can move twice in a turn and hits pretty drat hard with its physical and water elemental attacks. Take it down fast!

I’m starting to hate the invisible path. It’s freaking everywhere.

Lighting up the candle will open the gate that leads to the silver key.

MAtk +10. It’s pretty obvious who this is for.

Right. Another golden key. We’re almost finished.

The game is starting to use red herring hidden path. Like this treasure is accessed from the west instead of the south.

Okay, we’ve finally reached the exit. We can heal up and relax for a while before we take a side detour. We still haven’t opened the silver treasure chests.

Oh yeah, there’s two of them. I forgot where the other silver key is.

gently caress! This is what happens when if you’re fighting the Mental Flayers without a Res buff. It’s easy for them to paralyze everyone and then take down the party one by one all without me able to do anything. It sucks

Payback time bitches!

What the gently caress?! How am I supposed to know that there a treasure had I not press the A button out of curiosity?

I forgot the silver key is located in this area.

Nitori starts learning her spellcard. I like her elemental spellcard since it hits pretty goddamn hard.

MDef +10. One of the most important accessories since the party can’t naturally gain MDef.

The boss fight should be easy. Please wait for the next part.

Next time on Genius of Sappheiros: Bullying a weakling

Death Counter: 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Stage 5 - Boss

Our party is about to beat up and then kidnap a poor Satori that’s just minding her own business.

We don’t need to prepare much against the next boss. All we need is having fire, water, earth, thunder elemental attacks. Patchouli would have been better pick in this situation since only she has access to earth elemental magic, but I don’t trust her to be able to take a hit. So Marisa it is.

Also, I will use Alice this time. She’s there for extra protection.

Right then. Time to get it over with.

: This month’s expenses are even worse.

: Engel’s coefficient is going up and up, and we’re getting all these strange invoices. Goodness, those pets of mine.

Managing a huge-rear end palace by yourself is really difficult indeed. By the way, why would she needs a huge rear end palace when there’s only Satori and her pets living there? Is she a pet hoarder?

: My head’s hurts.

: We’re coming in, Satori.

That was fast. Usually, our upcoming boss character can carry a minute long conversation before our party arrived.

: Good grief.

: Just what are my pets doing…?

Being beaten up to submission by yours truly.

She has no Eff to give and goes straight to what she wants.

: Excuse me?

: That’s FAR too sudden, Reimu. We have to explain ourselves first.

Satori can read minds. No one likes having their mind read. So it’s why most people don’t like satori and it’s also why Satori mostly stay inside her palace.

: ?

: I see. So, in order to determine whether Saigyouji Yuyuko is this incident’s culprit, you require my help.

: You could tell what I was thinking…?

: It appears the rumors of her being able to read hearts are true…

: That makes this quick, then. Come with us, Satori.

: I refuse.

Of course it’s not going to be easy.

: Huh? Why…?

: I have work I have to attend to, so I can’t go. And furthermore--

: You can do your work anytime. Stop complaining and just come with us.

It doesn’t work like that, Reimu. You neglect the work once and the paperwork will pile up fast.

That massive disrespect though… Referring to a human being as merely an item.

: Erk!

She has a point. I too would’ve told them to screw off!

: Now, now, calm down and let’s--

Everyone doesn’t respect the satori.

: E-Erk!

: H-Hey, c’mon now…

: “Crap… she started readin’ hearts or whatever. I borrowed some o’ Patchouli’s books earlier… She won’t find out, right…?”

: H-Hey, come on, Marisa! Again…!?

: “Do it, read her heart! Ruin their relationship more! And then. Marisa will become mi—“

: WHA!? No way, you’re lying! I’m DEFINITELY not thinking that!

: “Pfh! Serves her right!”

: Eek!

That’s an effective way to use mind reading power. She caused infighting on her enemies by reading their darkest thought out loud.

: …You wanna go?

I favor Sakuya’s option. Too bad we can’t do that now.

: Your thoughts are all so impure.

No one liked having their thoughts being read out loud. No one.

: …Huh?

Nice going Satori. You just piss off everyone in the room.

: Yep, I’m with ya on that…

: Huh? Huh?

Nice meeting you, Satori. May you Rest in Peace after they’re done with you.

Satori as a boss is way easier than the pets. She has 3500 HP, 30 Physical Barrier, 30 Magical Barrier, and she has no resistances or weaknesses.

The amount of physical and magical barrier she has means that she’ll take reduced damage from us. This is annoying since there’s nothing we can do about the barrier.

Ouch! Mystic damage hurts. Thankfully, she doesn’t use it twice in a turn.

She can also inflict stats debuff. Buff your Res to prevent it.

After 2 turns, she will use Mode Change. She has 4 modes: fire, water, earth, and thunder. The Mode Change will also alter her stats and elemental resistance and weakness (She will become immune to her own element and become weak to the opposing element. Example: Fire mode Satori is immune to fire elemental attack and weak to water).

It’s recommended not to fight her if she’s in Earth Mode or Water Mode. Earth Mode increases her physical and magical barrier to 60 and its ultimate attack is very dangerous (Petro Cloud, an all targeting attack that can inflict Petrify).

Yes. She’s in Water Mode. And I also screaming internally.

Her water based attack in this mode is weaker than her mystic based attack in her normal mode. It’s just that her ultimate attack in this mode is the most annoying skill in her arsenal.

gently caress! She’s about to use her ultimate skill! Water Mode ultimate skill is Elixir, a full heal + permanent status recovery.

I already used a decent chunk of my resources to bring down her HP up to this point, and I don’t want to repeat it all over again.

Healing yourself to full HP is such a dirty move! Go sit there in the corner and reflect on your action!

Heh... Even the game refers to her as merely an item. drat!

: There’s your punishment, you brat!

Our party definitely ain’t a saint

: And with that, it looks like you’re coming with us, Satori…

Gensokyo’s logic is always weird.

: Furthermore, I believe I’ve already turned down your--

: The loser obeys the winners!

: H-How ridiculous…

: *glare*

: Erk…

: I’ll accompany you.

Finally. And we don’t even need to tie her up and drag her away.

: Hooray! We’ve gained a helpful ally, everyone.

This is just my opinion: I wouldn’t use the word “helpful” to describe Satori.

: We certainly have. Now we can finally make our advance into the Netherworld.

: All that remains now is to question Saigyouji Yuyuko, correct? Will it be really be that simple, though…?

No. There is no word “simple” in this game.

: Who knows? But it’s not like we’ve got a better plan. The best we can do is give the Netherworld a shot.

: Patchouli’s right. And if we have to, we’ll just make her cough up the truth by force!

: “Thinking in a pain.”

drat! Reimu just bitch-slapped Satori!

: Ow!

: Geez…

It’s like Satori is a useless kid who is only there to be bullied.

That was fast and straight to the point.

We recruited Satori on our team. Just don’t expect much from her.

We also got a new formation based off her. I still prefer the balanced Hakurei Formation though.

Next time on Genius of Sappheiros: Heading to the Netherworld.

Death Counter: 3

Bonus Video: Stage 5 Boss Fight

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 6, 2023