Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

EDIT: It wants me to use bombs to activate the crystal switch in Spirit Temple child-side. It may also want me to stand in one of the extreme corners of the room and use the slingshot to just barely clip the edge of the switch. Either way, it's tech I've never had to use before and not tech I've enabled in my settings!
...This is a thing?

Anyway, I'm trying it myself, and my seed's a lot tamer so far. I mean, I don't have a bomb bag yet, but that's not much of an issue when I've already got Bombchus (and I turned on the Bombchu drop option too, so I don't have to worry too much about running out since I can just go find some bushes and farm more anytime). Kinda running all over the place looking for the Master Sword because I don't wanna go unarmed, but not having any actual problems yet.

Oh, right, you said you've got the "unbreakable sticks" option turned on, but is your Deku Shield fireproof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

CptWedgie posted:

...This is a thing?

Anyway, I'm trying it myself, and my seed's a lot tamer so far. I mean, I don't have a bomb bag yet, but that's not much of an issue when I've already got Bombchus (and I turned on the Bombchu drop option too, so I don't have to worry too much about running out since I can just go find some bushes and farm more anytime). Kinda running all over the place looking for the Master Sword because I don't wanna go unarmed, but not having any actual problems yet.

Oh, right, you said you've got the "unbreakable sticks" option turned on, but is your Deku Shield fireproof?

I do have that option enabled, yeah. I don't really like being able to lose equipment because it burns to ash.

Anyway, on the randomizer settings menu, there's a tab to select what speedrun tricks you know how to do, which will logically let you perform those tricks to get the items behind those checks early. The only one I have enabled is grottos without the Stone of Agony because I've done enough of these seeds to memorize their locations. That's why I was so confused when it asked me to use tricks found on the oot speedrun tech site to get basic progression.

Also, with progressive bombchus like that, you may not see a bomb bag for a while. It's really only needed to finish Dodongo's Cavern.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

Also, with progressive bombchus like that, you may not see a bomb bag for a while. It's really only needed to finish Dodongo's Cavern.
You don't even need a bomb bag in Dodongo's Cavern, really; the only place that doesn't have bomb flowers conveniently nearby is that skull that leads to the boss, and I just jumped in the eye sockets and blew myself up with bombchus for that one (after finagling a way around the fact that I still don't have the slingshot and I didn't find the bow until well after I killed King Dodongo). So yeah, if you have the "bombchu drop" option selected, it might actually expect you to do that.

Took me forever to get Zelda's Lullaby, and I think Master Sword was behind that; it took me a bit to realize that it actually wanted me to hit things with my hammer (by which I mean "I cleared more-or-less everything I could access as a child before considering it"). At least I full-cleared Deku Tree when I found it, though; would've been annoying to get there as a kid, but thankfully it's a surprisingly adult-friendly dungeon despite how you're not supposed to be able to access it that way.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

EDIT: It wants me to use bombs to activate the crystal switch in Spirit Temple child-side. It may also want me to stand in one of the extreme corners of the room and use the slingshot to just barely clip the edge of the switch. Either way, it's tech I've never had to use before and not tech I've enabled in my settings!

This speed tech in action! It's not hard to do it turns out. But I also called the seed over when I ran into this, and also poked around the spoiler log on top of that. So all the fun and surprise is gone now.

I think I might un-mirror the world and not randomize the dungeon entrances just to make the next run a little less cursed.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
On a whim, I decided to start up a Zelda 64 Combo Randomizer seed. "What's that?" you may ask? Well, you know about SMZ3 by now, right? It's like that, except with OoT and Majora's Mask.

Z64 Combo 01: An Empty World

This is gonna take a while... (Also, let me know if you want me to adjust the size of the screenshots; they look a little big to me, but not big enough for me to go back and change them without external input.)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The screenshots look fine to me, but I'm probably not a good judge here.

I can't believe how much MM stuff you're finding! And with souls and silvers randomized, you're in for quite the long trek ahead.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
No, that was not an April Fools' prank. Unless it's on myself, as demonstrated in this update...

Z64 Combo 02: Rapid Transition

I would've expected there to be more to do in OoT before it forced me into MM... I mean, I was at least expecting an ocarina...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
:rant: :argh: :rant: :argh: :rant: :argh:

Z64 Combo 03: Long Overdue Progression

Hell seed confirmed.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

What the gently caress. Ocarina being so deep in MM meant I never would have found it. But I also strongly dislike dipping into dungeons for sphere 0 checks unless I have no other options. Putting progression on 'failing' the first cycle is kinda bullshit, not gonna lie!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

Putting progression on 'failing' the first cycle is kinda bullshit, not gonna lie!
Why do you think I'm so pissed? Y'know, aside from the literal hours of bullshit minigames that don't even give anything worthwhile...

On the bright side, Ocarina opens up enough checks that I should at least be able to stay in OoT for an entire update.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
ocarina locked so much you don't even know

Z64 Combo 04: Well-Deserved Vacation

Anyway, I've managed to make a massive leap forward in progression. Still nowhere near Go Mode (not really even close to getting into a boss fight), but progress is especially good after that hellish Ocarina placement.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

DoubleNegative posted:

Reviving the thread with something dumb and kinda cursed.

Ship of Harkinian Randomizer, except the world is mirrored. Horizontally and vertically.

Wouldn't vertically mirrored be upside down?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

ocarina locked so much you don't even know

Z64 Combo 04: Well-Deserved Vacation

Anyway, I've managed to make a massive leap forward in progression. Still nowhere near Go Mode (not really even close to getting into a boss fight), but progress is especially good after that hellish Ocarina placement.

Making quite a bit of progress here! Although the seed really loves its MM items.

Phosphine posted:

Wouldn't vertically mirrored be upside down?

And yeeeeah. I was def. wrong about it being vertically mirrored. Horizontally is bad enough, I'd hate to actually imagine the world flipped vertically.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...This feels weird.

Z64 Combo 05: Grab A Flyswatter

In a good way, but still- weird.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Dammit.

Z64 Combo 06: Bait And Switch

Of course as soon as I run out of MM checks it finagles a way to force me to do MM checks anyway... why wouldn't a seed like this do that?! :rant:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Note to self: Never play "Moon Crash is Time Reset". It's not worth it.
Also continue to start with Soaring because god navigating MM is horrible without it.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

Dammit.

Z64 Combo 06: Bait And Switch

Of course as soon as I run out of MM checks it finagles a way to force me to do MM checks anyway... why wouldn't a seed like this do that?! :rant:

CptWedgie posted:

...This is gonna be another case of progression being locked behind the stupidest possible check, isn't it?

CptWedgie posted:

...As I'm sure you've noticed by now, this seed is evil.

At this point, you probably ought to just check the worst locations first.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

jkq posted:

At this point, you probably ought to just check the worst locations first.
No I shouldn't, because that much concentrated frustration would lead to a ragequit. I'm sure you guys're morbidly curious about where the next bit of (presumably MM considering the trend) progression is, and if I drop the seed you'll never find out, right?

At the very least, doing the not-the-worst-possible-location checks first gives me time to cool off between oh-god-why locations.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

No I shouldn't, because that much concentrated frustration would lead to a ragequit. I'm sure you guys're morbidly curious about where the next bit of (presumably MM considering the trend) progression is, and if I drop the seed you'll never find out, right?

At the very least, doing the not-the-worst-possible-location checks first gives me time to cool off between oh-god-why locations.

I didn't mean all in a row. :)

Just do one first, and then a bunch of "cool off" locations afterwards.

You'll find the OoT light arrows or something! And then no bow for the next 3 hours, 'cuz evil seed :negative:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

jkq posted:

Just do one first, and then a bunch of "cool off" locations afterwards.

You'll find the OoT light arrows or something! And then no bow for the next 3 hours, 'cuz evil seed :negative:
So basically do what I've been doing already? (Mostly because the seed's been funneling me through all the bad checks and I'm last-locationing them all out of a desperate hope that I didn't roll the worst possible seed out of sheer bad luck.)

And joke's on you- I got both bows in the first update. That said, with how things are going that's about how I expect OoT Song of Time to go, and since I need the song to go adult that'd have much the same result.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

These updates are doing more to turn me off of the combo randomizer than anything else. I can't stand when randos string you along with a bunch of nonsense checks without giving you what you need to make useful progress.

It's also making me glad for Harkinian's "make minigames painless" settings.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

These updates are doing more to turn me off of the combo randomizer than anything else. I can't stand when randos string you along with a bunch of nonsense checks without giving you what you need to make useful progress.

It's also making me glad for Harkinian's "make minigames painless" settings.
For what it's worth, the randomizer lets you do a lot to mitigate the problems I'm having. The moonfall reset (and thus MM without the ability to restart the cycle at will) is opt-in, you can assign items to certain checks plando-style (example: you could put that single rupee I got from the horse race and some Deku Nuts on MM Skull Kid so you don't have to bother checking him), you can pick some items to start with... really, half the problem is that I specifically picked settings which turned out to be utterly terrible, without adding any safeties to prevent this disaster.

...I really wish it had a "skip minigames" option though. As I said, the MM minigames are tedious, poorly-balanced abominations (though admittedly part of the problem might just be me sucking).

I am at least reasonably certain that I just had the misfortune of getting a particularly bad seed. Bad seeds can ruin otherwise-good randomizers for you if they happen to be your first exposure to the randomizer in question. ...not that I plan on playing this again; as I mentioned, I have no idea why I decided to do this one because, honestly, I'm not even a fan of MM.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

CptWedgie posted:

So basically do what I've been doing already? (Mostly because the seed's been funneling me through all the bad checks and I'm last-locationing them all out of a desperate hope that I didn't roll the worst possible seed out of sheer bad luck.)

Kinda, yeah.

CptWedgie posted:

And joke's on you- I got both bows in the first update. That said, with how things are going that's about how I expect OoT Song of Time to go, and since I need the song to go adult that'd have much the same result.

Oops, sorry, I'd forgotten about that. Drowned out by the MM heart pieces? ;)

DoubleNegative posted:

It feels more like a bad set of options to me. Too many places and things to check.

CptWedgie posted:

really, half the problem is that I specifically picked settings which turned out to be utterly terrible, without adding any safeties to prevent this disaster.

Yep!

CptWedgie posted:

I am at least reasonably certain that I just had the misfortune of getting a particularly bad seed. Bad seeds can ruin otherwise-good randomizers for you if they happen to be your first exposure to the randomizer in question.

This too.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Combo is extremely customizable. Keeping moon crash off means MM is considered completely out of logic until you have Ocarina and Song of Time, and you can set it so that similar items are shared. You found a bow? That works for both games. Hookshot? Ditto. Ocarina? Yep.

Honestly if anyone was interested in trying combo I'd say use one of the Blitz presets as a base. They make it so you only have to clear no more than 6 dungeons for go mode, most items are shared, and you start with Soaring and access to both MM and Adult. It's pretty open and comfy.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
In which I accidentally show off how fed up I am with minigames.

Z64 Combo 07: Breakthrough

On the bright side: progress!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lullaby is a big one! Like I said in my video, it blocks off a lot of stuff now and in the future. So, it puts a lot of checks into logic.

Also, a warning about killing bosses as child Link. In Harkinian, at least, if you kill Bongo Bongo as a kid, the game glitches out and forces you back into the fight. But you also need to be blatantly cheating several ways to even access him as a kid.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

Also, a warning about killing bosses as child Link. In Harkinian, at least, if you kill Bongo Bongo as a kid, the game glitches out and forces you back into the fight. But you also need to be blatantly cheating several ways to even access him as a kid.
I only plan on killing bosses in-logic. If I can access a boss with the items I have on hand, as the age I happen to be at the time, without using glitches, it is perfectly in logic. And, as you have no doubt realized by now, I am allowed to use the Hookshot as a child in this seed, so Morpha was completely in logic... as further proven by how it dropped an immediately-required item and the fact that there was pretty much literally nothing else to do (as I have extensively complained about before). On the other hand, I doubt Bongo Bongo will be in logic as a child purely because I probably won't even be able to enter Shadow as a child (it's definitely not one of the dungeons I can access right now, and there is a non-zero chance that, like Forest, I'm just flat-out too short to climb a required ledge somewhere).

Really, the only reason I put Morpha off so long is the fact that it never occurred to me that fighting an adult boss as a child might be in logic with certain settings.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
:siren::siren::siren: BIG UPDATE! :siren::siren::siren:

Z64 Combo 08: A New Age

I got something even more important than Lullaby! :toot:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:toot: Indeed! I can't imagine how many checks opened once you got Song of Time. Must have been quite the relief!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

:toot: Indeed! I can't imagine how many checks opened once you got Song of Time. Must have been quite the relief!
Something in the neighborhood of "half the game with the song alone" I'm pretty sure. I mean, I did just unlock OoT's primary gimmick here.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
This is a novel feeling.

Z64 Combo 09: Cleanup On Aisle 3

There are actually locations I have no need to return to now.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

How do you do lab dive with boots? It seems like it would be handy to know.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

How do you do lab dive with boots? It seems like it would be handy to know.
Technically it's Iron Boots + Hookshot. Basically, you sink to the bottom, Hookshot to the crate that's down there, and as soon as you latch on (but before you actually reach the crate- easiest done from the other side of the pool) you open the menu and switch off Iron Boots.

Want me to edit that into the update?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

If you want to, I was just curious for my own edification. :v:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Still doing OoT stuff somehow.

Z64 Combo 10: Firewood

Starting to run low on OoT checks for now; 50/50 on whether I've got enough left for another update without going to MM.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

If you mentioned needing Song of Time to switch to adult for OoT before it happened, my eyes just kind of slid right past it. “What if this is an Open Door of Time seed?” I kept asking myself.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Don't know if I'll lose my Dust on moonfall
If you do that's a pretty major bug. Normally it persists on reset in combo just like the trade items, since if it was in OoT there'd be no way to get another one. I'd be surprised if the devs overlooked that with Moon Crash as time reset.

quote:

Can't full-clear this without Deku Scrubs (and probably can't do it without Skulltulas either)
I'm like, 85% sure Skulltula soul doesn't block poo poo, and 100% sure it doesn't do anything in Deku Tree.

quote:

Time to turn child to raid the Chest Game!
I didn't even know this was a setting.

quote:

Don't have Zelda or Impa, so off to pay Dampe to rob graves for me! Turns out he hates the Sun's Song though, so I pass the time by doing the last bug check too.
He's only there until like, 10pm or something. It's the one time sensitive thing in OoT that isn't just "Is it Daytime Y/N". Sun's Song in a place that doesn't have time pass sets the time to noon or midnight, while in a place where time does pass it goes to 6AM/PM. So if you're looking to use Sun's to set up Dampe digging, just do it from Hyrule Field or Death Mountain Trail.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

AweStriker posted:

If you mentioned needing Song of Time to switch to adult for OoT before it happened, my eyes just kind of slid right past it. “What if this is an Open Door of Time seed?” I kept asking myself.
If I didn't I'm pretty sure it was implied by me not going adult instead of checking those godawful Majora minigames, or Skull Kid. Do you really think I'd do those when I did if Door of Time was open, when I've continuously complained about wanting to do OoT to the point of doing checks out of logic whenever I knew how just to get out of MM? Sometimes you don't actually need to say it explicitly.

Also, I haven't been showing hints other than the first one to prove that they were on. With Door of Time closed, literally the only reason to screenshot inside the Temple is checking the Stone locations- in other words, a hint. And bringing it up at any other time would be pretty out-of-context; not entirely out of character for me, given my rambling during the Majora skulltula hunts, but I still had no reason to talk about it. (Yes, I know, this is just an excuse. Whatever.)

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

He's only there until like, 10pm or something. It's the one time sensitive thing in OoT that isn't just "Is it Daytime Y/N". Sun's Song in a place that doesn't have time pass sets the time to noon or midnight, while in a place where time does pass it goes to 6AM/PM. So if you're looking to use Sun's to set up Dampe digging, just do it from Hyrule Field or Death Mountain Trail.
Yeah, this is just stupid. You'd think Sun's Song would set your time to dawn/dusk consistently instead of randomly skipping 6 hours because you happen to be in town when you play it.

Also, given how Dampe wakes up at like 6, that makes him absurdly lazy and/or narcoleptic, because that means he sleeps for 20 hours a day.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Tiiired...

Z64 Combo 11: Baked Beans

6-ish hours of sleep will do that to you. Did manage to put out an update, though! And get some good stuff, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Back.

Z64 Combo 12: The Horrible-ness Resumes

There is a non-zero level of regret for that fact, though.