Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Castlevania Symphony Rando 3, Lighter Than Air

Progress is good. Progress that gives instant access to a majority of the map... is a mixed blessing, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Well, it's not like you don't get instant access to huge amounts of the map anyway multiple times in SotN :v:.

I'd kill for the high jump, personally!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Castlevania Symphony Rando 4, Spoiled for Choice

Apropos of nothing, I would like to once again express how glad I am that I found an online image resizer that doesn't lock the aspect ratio. I don't think you guys want to look at 2800x480 images like I've been getting after the first update, or anything else with a 35:6 aspect ratio for that matter.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon Randomizer

Fifth Session: Trying to find progress - Underground Gallery revisit - Triumph Hallway - Machine Tower cleanup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emiJOOvr-M8

As you can probably tell from the word "cleanup", progress finally happens! I should be able to finish very soon now.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 5, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

Congrats on getting un-stuck! As for my CV run...

Castlevania Symphony Rando 5, Down We Go

Still going, still finding required items, still nowhere near done yet.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
:doh: Lost most of my progress in a power outage. Gonna take a while to catch up to where I was.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Castlevania Symphony Rando 6, Does This Count As Hell?

Okay, back now.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Good to hear that you managed to overcome the LP curse and that you're making steady progress with exploration!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Castlevania Symphony Rando 7, Janitorial Duties

While I may have managed to redo what I lost more-or-less, I'm unfortunately running a little low on motivation right now. I mean, I'll try to finish, but I can't guarantee I'll do it quickly.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Castlevania Symphony Rando 8, Now Do It Backwards

I've definitely passed the halfway point, no matter how you measure things.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Man there's a LOT of crap in SotN

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Castlevania Symphony Rando 9, Scaling the Depths

Really should've had this out earlier, but :effort: and insomnia.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Castlevania Symphony Rando 10, No More Caves

Getting an idea of where the Rib wound up, but I've still got like a quarter of the Reverse Castle left to check.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Castlevania Symphony Rando 11, Circle Closed

Apparently "shouldn't take too long" is relative to play-time, not real-time; I couldn't bring myself to play SotN at all until just now. Also, my idea of where to find the Rib was wrong.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sixth (final) Session: Observation Tower (brief) - Outer Wall - Ceremonial Room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhEyBzg0JYs

As expected, this went quick, but actually even quicker than that. Happy to have wrapped this up somewhat expediently!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

Sixth (final) Session: Observation Tower (brief) - Outer Wall - Ceremonial Room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhEyBzg0JYs

As expected, this went quick, but actually even quicker than that. Happy to have wrapped this up somewhat expediently!

Cool hack, thanks for showing it off. Agreed on your point that the DSS cards would have been much better as items to find on pedestals, we could have gone without 20 HP/MP/Heart upgrades I think.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Castlevania Symphony Rando 12, Justifiable Patricide

And there's the other Castlevania randomizer run finished. I'm honestly amazed at how overpowered I wound up by the end.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

Castlevania Symphony Rando 12, Justifiable Patricide

And there's the other Castlevania randomizer run finished. I'm honestly amazed at how overpowered I wound up by the end.
In SotN, I'd be more amazed if you weren't tbh

Congrats on finishing! (Japanese) Curry is great, I'm gonna make some today! It's basically a stew with a specific spice mix.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Shitload of onions (literally the same amount as the meat), some carrots, meat (in this case turkey, but anything goes), potatoes. Five minutes seared in a big pot:

Add water, let it cook until veggies are soft.

Important secret ingredient: the cubes of curry to give it actual curry flavor lol

(the recipe is from the back of the box)

Looks like chocolate when it's melting:

And the end result, much nicer color:

We serve it with Fukujinsuke (mixed pickles, rather sweet, pairs extremely well)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh right, I was doing a thing. Uhhhh-

FF6 Beyond Chaos: Part 6: Around The World In 140 Days

Obviously I've just been simulating all the cross-continental travel in real time! :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Glad to see this back, I was considering prodding about it occasionally but thought it was willfully dead. Happy to be wrong.

And yes, poison damage compounds, up to 8x damage on the 8th and all future tics.

e: I wonder if Beyond Chaos just can't deal with Veteran's sprite, it was hosed up on liquidy and our playthroughs too.
and welcome Speed +1 :toot:

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 14, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
...I didn't even know it was possible to roll an Esper with no spells. At least Maduin's crew are good; having all three tier 2 spells at reasonable learn rates boosts your casters' offense (though I forget who actually had the Magic command), you finally got Cure (with an excellent learn rate, at that), and Life is always handy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I just realized you aren't using saves states, I have to admit I haven't touched an actual save point in an emulated game in... well for as long as I've used emulators. :v:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I actually did drop one in front of that trapped chest at the beginning, because I realized I hadn't saved since leaving Zozo and didn't feel like walking all the way back out of Narshe and then back in again. There might have been another one somewhere else too? I forget. But yeah, generally I try to keep myself honest. Honestly, save states wouldn't have helped all that much anyway; that first trip into the factory was doomed the second I walked in.

E: If there's ever a boss that's obnoxiously far away from the nearest save point I'll probably use one, but FF6 is usually pretty good about that sort of thing, and aggressively save stating after every random encounter and before opening every chest sounds incredibly tedious.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 15, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Been doing a new seed in PoR just for fun (not posting it because I don't want you to see another run die), and added another option to the randomization. Specifically...

...text randomization. Needless to say, cutscenes are full of utter nonsense now; Death, here, summarizes the situation succinctly.

...I know, it's not fair to tease you like this, but I couldn't resist when this line came up. (Other highlights include Death accusing Jonathan of working with Brauner shortly before the above screenshot and Jonathan spouting a tutorial from another mode at him.)

There're also lines like this, where I have no idea what he's trying to say.

edit: turns out this seed's completeable; I might actually go back and do another run of it so I can show it to you guys.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 21, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
DSVania: Portrait of Random New Run, 1: Let's Try This Again

Here's the start of the seed I just played through.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
DSVania: Portrait of Random New Run, 2: My Memory Sucks

Wanted to post this earlier, but I really was not up to doing anything yesterday. :effort:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
DSVania: Portrait of Random New Run, 3: Is This Legal?

I'd be progressing a lot faster if I could just get one night of decent sleep...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
DSVania: Portrait of Random New Run, 4: Footstool Found

I ate'nt dead.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
DSVania: Portrait of Random New Run, 5: Desertification

Do equipment upgrades count as progress? I'm gonna count 'em as progress. (And yes, Jonathan's starting to hit pretty drat hard.)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
DSVania: Portrait of Random New Run, 6: Desert Combed

Hey look, I managed to kick myself into updating in a reasonable time-frame for once!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FF6 Beyond Chaos: Part 7: Bosses? Where We're Going We Don't Need Bosses

Bit of a shorter update this time to balance out the last one, though it still ended up slightly longer than I was expecting.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
DSVania: Portrait of Random New Run, 7: Wandering In Circles

:effort:

Side note, has anyone seen Bread? Been a few months since he posted here.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
DSVania: Portrait of Random New Run, 8: I'm Running Out Of Things To Say

Still grinding away at the seed.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Bit of a shorter update this time to balance out the last one, though it still ended up slightly longer than I was expecting.

Beyond Chaos lets you pick up dances even without a dancer or Mog's stand in in the party, meaning you don't get screwed out of water rondo if you snub him.
GBA gives you one single shot at getting it in the world of ruin.

Those are the only times I can think of possibly justifying dropping Mog, but even then I don't think I've ever done it.

e: cursed ring is the same gimmick as the cursed shield, except it eventually turns into a hero ring, which you can get so many other ways.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 12, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FeyerbrandX posted:

e: cursed ring is the same gimmick as the cursed shield, except it eventually turns into a hero ring, which you can get so many other ways.

Oh lol, gently caress that then, hero rings aren't even that good. Of our current crew, I'd maybe consider giving one to Kars or Goten, but that's about it.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Cattail Prophet posted:

Oh lol, gently caress that then, hero rings aren't even that good. Of our current crew, I'd maybe consider giving one to Kars or Goten, but that's about it.
Yeah, if you want DPS then either Genji Glove + Offering, or Gem Box + Economizer (depending on whether you want physical or magic attacks from the character in question) would be best.

Admittedly, both those combinations depend on you having access to the relics in question... but I'm sure there're other relics that're better, and there're so many that you're likely to have access to at least one of them at any given time. And that's not even getting into character-specific relics...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Beyond Chaos runs always start to lose a bit of steam once you have actual reliable things that do what you want them to do, i.e. magic, more or less at will. Of course some rerolled monsters can usually still throw you for a spin, so there's still a bit of spice. :v:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
DSVania: Portrait of Random New Run, 9: Heart Crossed

So named as a reference to the music playing for the latter half of the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
DSVania: Portrait of Random New Run, 10: Train Sumo

Pretty apt description, I feel.