Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He can’t play any worse so no harm in not extending him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

blarzgh posted:

Also, something everyone needs to understand: The Cowboys Cannot Have Sustained Success under the Jones' Family Leadership.

I've posted ad nauseum about how their contract management constantly clashes with their talent acquisition, and there are always news stories about what a distraction the entire operation is for football. In particular, we're entering that time of year when everyone bitches about "The Cap" and starts making GBS threads themselves about having to pay all of Dallas' Players.

One other thing people need to understand: the Jones Family wants to make money > the Jones Family wants to win football games. First off, the Salary Cap is fake. Any team that wants to can restructure, rework, and reorganize to manage their cap, and still sign the Players they want. In fact, up to half the teams in a given season actually spend More Cash than the salary cap..

Why is this important? Because when you run a business, you don't spend money if it won't increase your capital returns. I strongly recommend everyone who wants to ignore all the previous links to read this: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1771297616850026678.html?utm_campaign=topunroll Dallas, as an organization was the only NFL franchise to report revenue of over one billion U.S. dollars.. They are, far and away, the most profitable organization in football.

And yet, Dallas spends nearly the least in the league, every year on players. Dallas could, if it wanted, spend another $100,000,000 on players, and they don't. Why? Because they will earn $0.00 extra dollars in football revenue, if they do. The will Still Sell out the Stadium, still sell billions in merch and licensing fees, and still rake in their share of NFL revenues and TV money. If they instead, invest that $100,000,000 into And Oil and Gas Development they will see a return of Millions of Dollars.

Not to mention the fact that the people who say they are in charge of the Cowboys Front Office have Zero NFL Executive Training or Experience, nor do they even have a college degree in business. And on top of trying to run an NFL franchise, they own, operate, and manage Literally Dozens of Million-to-Billion-Dollar companies.

So when Jerry says, "It would be embarrassing, it would be shocking if you knew the size of the check I would write if it guaranteed me a Super Bowl," He is Lying. When they say they care about Football First, remember that they care about their Egos and their Money more.

When I say "Dak can win a Superbowl" and"Dak is a Top 5 Quarterback, I'm also saying that he plays for an organization that puts Winning Last. A place where I'm not sure Anyone could ultimately be successful. When I say "The Cap is Fake" its because the Joneses love pushing that media narrative and raking in all the savings.

So, yes I love Dak and CeeDee and Parsons, and I love rooting for my team. But if your opinion is that the reason a Franchise hasn't had success in 30 years is because an MVP-level quarterback has some secret, emotional quirk that prevents the entire organization from winning games on specific weeks in the winter, then IDK what to tell you. Enjoy your story, I guess.

Are you suggesting all the rich board members and owners in america are simply the product of perpetuated wealth accumulation and aristocracy rather than any ability or intellect deserving of such positions?

Sir...

America's team.
Not communist sinorussia's team.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Dak would have an insane market next offseason. Cowboys would basically have to franchise him and still might lose him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thinking about teams that probably should give up two firsts next March to be able to sign Dak for his 32-38 seasons: Giants, Raiders, Jets, Seahawks, Steelers. stretch answers: Panthers, Cards, Rams, Titans

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you insane

No one is trading two firsts for a guy they can sign as a free agent

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

indigi posted:

thinking about teams that probably should give up two firsts next March to be able to sign Dak for his 32-38 seasons: Giants, Raiders, Jets, Seahawks, Steelers. stretch answers: Panthers, Cards, Rams, Titans

Vikings should be first in line

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

just from a "we want to compete for a playoff spot" stance he'd guarantee most of those teams at least a wild card. after that, well

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vikings could have just signed cousins. Why would they commit to dak on a big deal

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cousins is a lot older and coming off an Achilles

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

Vikings should be first in line

oh yeah

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So you think dak guarantees you a WC? In the nfc east sure . It’s the worst division in football tho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don’t forget like Jerry Jones, Dak has his own sexual assault issues

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

euphronius posted:

So you think dak guarantees you a WC? In the nfc east sure . It’s the worst division in football tho

you're right that he probably doesn't guarantee a WC on the Raiders or Steelers. all those other teams though he'd be contending for the division

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

euphronius posted:

Entertainment-wise, the NFC East is the best division in football. :colbert:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

euphronius posted:

Don’t forget like Jerry Jones, Dak has his own sexual assault issues

Do better euphronius. I really don't think he has any sexual assaults.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

Do better euphronius. I really don't think he has any sexual assaults.

Search the internet!!

It’s there !!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I thought they would have to extend Dak just to get the cap number down

Isnt he on like 60 mil this year

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
It's fine. They'll just give Dak, CeeDee, and Micah the largest contracts ever for their respective positions next year and the team will be super awesome. They might even lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs instead of the 1st once!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Blarzgh, where do you slot your boy Prescott among the all time Cowboys greats.

Your undying affection for him is cute at best and annoying at worst but I was curious who you'd slot higher him? Certainly Staubach, right?

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

“We are where we are, locked and loaded for this year.”

see, this is why there have been no free agent additions. all in has already been achieved! they are where they are, locked and loaded. they're not going to draft any players either! this cowboys team already has everything it needs. eleven months 'til the next lombardi!

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
they've got a really loving good roster and they aren't locking themselves in for $60m/year on a QB with a tragic history of not getting it done, i think that's not the worst spot to be in

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
like who else in the division would you want to be? philly, with its 50m/year QB who may or may not have it and a defense in absolute shambles? washington, rebuilding into god knows what? the giants?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Toaster Beef posted:

they've got a really loving good roster and they aren't locking themselves in for $60m/year on a QB with a tragic history of not getting it done, i think that's not the worst spot to be in

You might have missed a large chunk of that "really loving good roster" leaving and no replacements to take their place.

Albatross contracts and fill in the blanks with roughage and injured 2nd round picks, the Dallas Cowboys way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hurts is a 13 million qb this year

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

Hurts is a 13 million qb this year

13 million too much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We’ll see . He could bounce back

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

You might have missed a large chunk of that "really loving good roster" leaving and no replacements to take their place.

Albatross contracts and fill in the blanks with roughage and injured 2nd round picks, the Dallas Cowboys way.

This has felt like kind of a forced media narrative to me. Like, the Cowboys generally draft well, and also generally overpay those same guys going into second contracts. It hasn't been the massive talent exodus it's been portrayed as, but it's a lot of spots where mostly anonymous backups will have to put in work.

I think they should probably extend Dak, but there was no way to justify paying Biadasz and Dorance Armstrong what the Commanders ended up paying them.

Gilmore is unsigned, LVE retired, and basically nobody believes Tyron Smith can play more than half a season.

The biggest concern to me is the Oline, but it wouldn't be a shock if Hoffman is fine at center and Tyler Smith can kick out to LT. RT and LG should probably be priorities in the draft though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I went back and counted Tony Romo:
pre:
		Win	Loss	Rec
Reg. Rec	8	22	0.267
Playoffs	1	0	1.000
Total		9	22	0.290
Romo is significantly more clutch than Dak. In a larger sample of games he performed better.

This sample includes a game where Romo left at halftime and Dallas lost in Brad Johnson's hand because I also included Romo's win where he came in for Drew Bledsoe who was down more than 10 points in the second. I figure those games balance.

I'll note that Romo also had 6 or 7 wins where he was down 9 in the second and won the game. Dak doesn't really have those as he gets blown out or blows out the other team.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of those losses also was the 51-49 Broncos loss that inspired a great TMM comic where Jason Garrett is holding all of the defense babies yelling at Romo to go get more points.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

dak should try doing the push tush. pretty good qb

John Cowheel
Nov 8, 2011

No matter how much you've won, no matter how many games, no matter how many championships, no matter how many Super Bowls, you're not winning now, so you stink.

Toaster Beef posted:

I think really good roster is overstating it. Too many question marks up front on both sides of the ball. No guarantee that they can put an adequate left guard (assuming Tyler Smith plays LT) or center on the field this year. Steele was pretty shaky off that torn ACL too. On the defensive line end of thigs, it's just Parsons, Lawrence and Odighizuwa. Parsons and Lawrence are a formidable edge duo, but Lawrence is on the wrong side of 30. There is no depth beyond that at edge. Like Sam Williams' talent, but I wouldn't trust him. Odighizuwa is their only effective defensive tackle. You can't pour dirt on Mazi Smith after one season, but he was pretty bad in 2023 and his offseason is not off to a roaring start. Where do the reinforcements come from? This is PURELY just the lines. Those aren't the only places the team needs players. The team is going nowhere fast, with or without Prescott. The Cowboys do a good job of acquiring talent, but their roster management is amongst the worst in the league. They almost never invest in the right players and are basically always unprepared for the future. They fell backward into Prescott and have done basically nothing to prepare for life without him. If the plan is not to marry yourself to him, there is no point in playing this season with him. Decent chance they win too many games to draft another QB and then Prescott walks away. OR they extend Prescott later than they should've and you just wasted the 2024 season. It's no win for Dallas, but it's been that way for going on 30 years now because there's no consequences for failure there.

John Cowheel fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 27, 2024

John Cowheel
Nov 8, 2011

No matter how much you've won, no matter how many games, no matter how many championships, no matter how many Super Bowls, you're not winning now, so you stink.

Toaster Beef posted:

like who else in the division would you want to be? philly, with its 50m/year QB who may or may not have it and a defense in absolute shambles? washington, rebuilding into god knows what? the giants?

Literally anyone else, now that Synder sold the Commanders. Dunno what more evidence people need to see that the Cowboys office is the problem and not an endless sea of scapegoats on the field and sideline. The problem there being that these aren't people who can one day be fired, they will keep running the team this way in perpetuity. No other team in the division is in that predicament now and it's not like I'm even high on the Maras or Harris. The Cowboys have Al Davis with a better PR team for an owner / GM and a possibly even more incompetent "executive" is waiting in the wings behind him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s not scapegoating to say your qb lost the game by turning the ball over.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

John Cowheel posted:

Literally anyone else, now that Synder sold the Commanders. Dunno what more evidence people need to see that the Cowboys office is the problem and not an endless sea of scapegoats on the field and sideline. The problem there being that these aren't people who can one day be fired, they will keep running the team this way in perpetuity. No other team in the division is in that predicament now and it's not like I'm even high on the Maras or Harris. The Cowboys have Al Davis with a better PR team for an owner / GM and a possibly even more incompetent "executive" is waiting in the wings behind him.

Yeah, basically

I've been on team "Washington's the most optimistic situation in the division right now" all offseason and I'm not wavering on that. Even if they're the only ones that don't end up in playoffs; we already almost saw that a few months ago, and everyone else has only spiraled since (in Philly's case, spiraled further)

Canning McCarthy next January will only do so much as a bandaid, and that's all it'll be

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Blarzgh, where do you slot your boy Prescott among the all time Cowboys greats.

Your undying affection for him is cute at best and annoying at worst but I was curious who you'd slot higher him? Certainly Staubach, right?

I slot him as one of the best QBs in the league for the last 7 years and better than any other option the Cowboys have for the next 3 or 4 seasons and every team in the league that doesn't have a player named mahomes. Alan or Burrows would trade quarterback situations in a heartbeat.

Lots of teams have won lots of Super bowls with lots. Worst quarterbacks, like Eli Manning for example, So if you can't win with that then that's on you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You have succumbed to the neoliberal tendency to think models are more true than reality

In the real world Eli manning is light years better than dak Prescott

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Eli is 8-4
Dak is 2-5

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Eli is going to the Hall and it'll be first ballot. Dak needs to fight to get in, period

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
lol dak prescott has no loving chance at the hall of fame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

Eli is 8-4
Dak is 2-5

And let’s be clear, two of Eli’s wins were Super Bowls over Football Hitler.

I ❤️ Eli 4ever

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

lol dak prescott has no loving chance at the hall of fame

He can travel to Canton and pay the $40~ admission fee to get in like anyone else.