Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Wato rules what is this place talking about

I like Wato! I just like Despy a lot more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only knock against Despy winning is Hiromu/Despy is beyond overdone at this point but dude really deserves his BOSJ win

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I haven't seen a single show but based on that they had an option of Speedball v Despy and went yeah nah

lol

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

They booked this final for me, specifically.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This would be the first Despy/Hiromu with a cheering crowd though so that alone would make it fresh and this year feels very much like a reset for New Japan

And while Speedball/Despy would be a better final I can totally see why they went with Wato. They need new stars they have under contract and they also need to know if the young talent can actually hang up top. It's a lot of pressure for Wato cause if the finale isn't good it's gonna all be on him given the matches Despy has had this tournament but sometimes you just have to see if a talent will sink or swim in a top level position

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They do need new stars in the junior division but they probably should have just waited for Uemura to get back from excursion

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah probably but also I can see them thinking that Wato hasn't had a chance in front of cheering crowds so they're giving it to him here.

Probably will see it happen in the G1 too, especially if it's 4 blocks (I also suspect we'll get Kojima's last G1 now that we have cheering crowds again.)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

does ospreay live in the united states currently

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah probably but also I can see them thinking that Wato hasn't had a chance in front of cheering crowds so they're giving it to him here.

Probably will see it happen in the G1 too, especially if it's 4 blocks (I also suspect we'll get Kojima's last G1 now that we have cheering crowds again.)

Could see them put Tsuji, Shota and Narita over in a 4 block G1. Maybe have the 4th be Finlay if they want to go all in. The winner doesn't need to win at WK, you can do the Okada story where they get close but can't quite win the world title the first time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Honestly I could see them giving O'khan the rocket push this G1 with the same logic as the Wato one (Both an attempt to get a new star over and also an attempt to see where he actually stands with cheering crowds). Of course the benefit is that O'khan has figured out his character much better than Wato has

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Lid posted:

I haven't seen a single show but based on that they had an option of Speedball v Despy and went yeah nah

lol

Yeah bruv they aren't booking for westerners who are just reading the results online as crazy as that might be.

They are booking for the core Japanese audience

Wato has a strong connection with the home crowd. He was the guy who the crowd was most behind at kingdom imo. He's very easy to support. He practically has the gimmick of shonen anime protagonist.

Dominion is also in his home town

I don't think he's perfect. He is much better from underneath (see last nights excellent match) and needs to continue developing

But he's 26, has a very good bond with the audience and is sympathetic as all hell when taking a beating. These are strong baby face qualities

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 26, 2023

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

does ospreay live in the united states currently

No he lives in England I believe

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like 2019 New Japan I see them having either Speedball or Titan in the final and giving Wato the semis. But 2023 New Japan needs to focus on home grown talent both to rebuild ticket sales and also to lower costs

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I think even in 2019 they would see the utility in pushing the guy they quite clearly see as the next guy in the division after hiromu.

Especially as Osaka is his home town. A gutsy loss to Hiromu at dominion would do him good. Assuming of course he doesn't win.

I honestly think they've done a good job with master wato.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Titan for the win?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It’s time to make peace with NJPW pushing :wato:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I respect Wato for taking that kicking but goddamn this isn't the final I wanted. They should run Despy vs. Speedball on the final night just for shits.

Sucks to be YOH and Sho and seeing Wato pull ahead of you.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 27, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Sucks to be YOH and Sho and seeing Wato pull ahead of you.

SHO knows what he did :colbert:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
YOH would probably be in Wato's position if he hadn't spent most of the last 18 months being :geno: personified

He has turned it around as of late, though, I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks through at next year's BOSJ

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

currently stuck in my hotel room during heavy rain so here's the card for the finals

BOSJ 30 Finals
May 28th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST/18:30 JSR
Ota-ku Central Gym

Togi Makabe and Boltin Oleg vs. Yuto Nakashima and Oksar Leube
Ryohei Oiwa vs. Clark Connors
CHAOS (YOH and Lio Rush) vs. Robbie Eagles and Kosei Fujita
Tencozy, Nagata, and Jet Setters vs. United Empire (O-Khan, Henare, Catch 2/2, and Moloney)
CHAOS (Bishamon and Toru Yano) vs. House of Torture (EVIL, Yujiro, and SHO)
Okada, Tana, Ishii, and Taguchi vs. Umino, Narita, Despe, and Speedball)
Just Four Guys (SANADA, Taichi, Kanemaru, and DOUKI) vs. L.I.J (Naito, Shingo, Hiromu, and BUSHI)
BOSJ 30 Final:Titán vs. Master Wato

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I skipped undercard tags until the last show and wow Oleg is a beast. Hopefully he's more of a Brock Lesnar than a Lars Sullivan.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I skipped undercard tags until the last show and wow Oleg is a beast. Hopefully he's more of a Brock Lesnar than a Lars Sullivan.

Like Brock he's legit.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada in the ring with Ren and Umino again is gonna be fun

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Okada very much in the "gently caress them kids" mode this year.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

- Lot of love for Fujita getting a pin
- Had a good laugh when Moloney nicked the tag belts from Kushida and Knight to give to his buds
- Bit hard on Oskar getting the pin on Ishii
- Oh Okada, you fucker
- Didn't get the winner I was after for either semi finals, but both were very good matches, looking forward to what they do with the finals tonight

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hope all you Watomaniacs are ready to finally be shown the way to the Grandmaster!

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It's makabe

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tap Makabe! Tap to the Young Boy!

Dammit!

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lol that suplex on oskar

These lions are huge

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Chaos v the sweetboys rules so far

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good Lord, Lio was a loving bullet there :stare:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That was a very good undercard tag match

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I believed in young Fujita :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

I believed in young Fujita :smith:

They should let him pin Kiyomiya at some joint show, it'll be great for him and Kiyomiya won't blink twice if told he's going to get humiliated by Fujita!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Charlton and Kevin desperately trying to explain away how Makabe found a loophole of,"Just not give a gently caress" to allow him to do Mongolian Chops again.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Henares back from cupping lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Henares back from cupping lmao

Wanted Nagata to feel at home :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:nallears:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Gok wins titles, loses them at fd and gets mocked by Tokyo sports again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gino at Dominion, nice!

Speaking of nice, Speedball Mike Bailey!