Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah, the drone mutator needs to either have tons more drones with significant buffs or just add more drones on top of regular spawns. An enemy that instantly dies isnt very challenging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It would be nice if you could change loadouts in the initial join class select/spawn screen too. You don't see which mutators are active when not the party leader, and some times you really want scan beacons/nades

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Warrior Ambush on Normal, I'm trying to hold down the Northwest corner of the map (the breached wall in the Comms compound) with a couple other Bastions and we're overrun and my dying action is to chuck a napalm grenade that just replenished. I die while it's mid air, it explodes and launches my body all the way from there to the extreme Southeast corner of the new map sections. Furthest I've seen a body launched so far.

Left that match shortly thereafter, because while Warrior Ambush can be fun, it's pretty frustrating yelling at people to stop wasting precious ore on walls at the very edge of the base instead of bunkers and HMGs next to the ARC. My tolerance level for shooting people that won't listen to comms or adapt to the new challenge was too low today for that poo poo.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Saw a set a mutators a couple days ago that just seemed bullshit and unfun, Sandstorm and Gunner Ambush on ARC. I didn't even try it because being sniped from 3 different directions while having zero visibility sounded awful.

Sometimes I wish mutators were an optional thing and they offered non-mutator matches.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

https://discord.com/channels/1045093456550305945/1045094327438823464/1123034655160016986

quote:

@here

**Starship Troopers: Extermination Update 0.3.1 Preview**

Attention, Vanguard! Our thanks go out to all of you for the detailed and patient feedback on Update 0.3.0 this weekend. In addition to the patch notes addendum (https://discord.com/channels/1045093456550305945/1045094327438823464/1121573755798421634) detailing class and loadout changes published on Friday, the team has been working to resolve bugs reported by the community related to Mutator effects, Veteran difficulty, Bug health, unusable controllers, and more.

Here’s a preview of some of the changes coming in Update 0.3.1, currently in development. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and staying constructive, the team appreciates your dedication to Starship Troopers: Extermination!

**Upcoming Bug Fixes & Improvements**
- Veteran (Hard) Difficulty
- Developer Note: Mutators affected Veteran difficulty modifiers to Bug health and Bug damage and made them apply incorrectly, causing Veteran difficulty to lose its intended balancing.
- Bug health modifier has been corrected, it was higher than intended.
- Bug spawn frequency has been corrected, it was much slower than intended.
- Bug damage multiplier has been corrected, it was lower than intended.
- Increased refinery cooldown to 30 seconds (from 4 seconds) for AAS game mode.
- Reverted change to refinery cooldown for ARC Slam game mode.
- Developer Note: The refinery cooldown timer change was not intended to affect ARC Slam matches. We will replace it with a new timer that is reflective of the ARC Slam game mode in a future update.
- Corrected the damage radius of player-deployed explosives to account for friendly fire damage resistance.
- Updated the mapping layout to improve class skill usability while using a controller.
- Fixed the ability to exit the Twin Machine Gun Emplacement while using a controller.
- Fixed an issue where refilling ammo from an ammo crate while reloading a weapon resulted in the weapon not reloading.

I feel like them thanking is for staying "constructive" is more of a suggestion than a thanks :v:

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Some nebulous near future date the most insane mutators are going to get wiped. I highly suggest everyone play Grenadier Ambush and Warrior Ambush at least once, if only for the "you weren't there, man!" bragging rights later. Just finished a Warrior Ambush AAS where we had to carry the ore up a nearly vertical hill so every time you failed a return run you had a 50/50 chance of the ore staying relatively put, or rolling and bouncing further down the hill than it started. People were kamikaze leaping off the hills and popping drones and barricades, leapfrogging and constantly running out of ammo.

Just glorious mayhem.

I don't want it every game, but I'm super glad to have experienced it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Addition to posted notes:

quote:

Mutators
Ambush: Reduced frequency of ambushes.
Ambush: Slightly reduced enemy counts when ambushes trigger.
Bug Pack Mutators: Now trigger periodically throughout the mission instead of all at once at mission start.
Bug Pack Mutator: Reduced kill requirements and per-pack spawn amounts.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Hands down the most frustrating bug, check that ammo counter

https://i.imgur.com/ocSEOCD.mp4

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Oh, that type of bug.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hey devs I know you're reading this, when are you going to let us gently caress the bugs

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I need to find a way to pay homage to a local meme in this game.

Anyone that live in Austin Texas between the late nineties and oughts should remember this one super creepy commercial.

The ad was the camera zooming in too close to that dudes face from all angles while he threateningly repeated "kill your bugs. Kill Your Bugs. KILL YOUR BUGS."

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

CuddleCryptid posted:

Hey devs I know you're reading this, when are you going to let us gently caress the bugs

agreed

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

For every group of big god damned heroes, there's the losers I was matched with this past Warrior Ambush game. Silent bunch of sniveling cowards refused to leave the AAS spawn point. Bunker babies too stupid to understand the difference between trying and failing to win, versus losing endlessly.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Warning: Effort Post

Every development in a war should have a direct cause. Each of the classes should be an answer to a specific problem from the Arachnids, and in turn the Arachnids should have a specific answer for that new element.

Start with troopers with moritas and nothing else vs warriors. It comes down to whether the bugs have the numbers to get past the bullets more than anything else. Bugs can spawn more bugs, troopers get Ammo Fabs from a support class to keep the bullets flying. This was all working pretty well, with a single Warrior closing to melee being a threat, and two a death sentence. The support class expands to patching wounded soldiers so they step forward again.

The bugs bring a bigger warrior that can survive fire, and shake off stunning, long enough to close to melee and disrupt the troopers lines. The Tiger.

So the troopers bring a heavily armored long firing, heavy calibre weapon that can stagger even a huge beast of a bug. The Bastion.

So bugs introduce Drones, which can flank and distract and tie up the troopers allowing the Warriors to close. They were a little too easily dispatched, and often just came in the same field of fire as the Warriors making them too easily dealt with. Also the impotence of friendly fire means the drones best tactic of getting into a position where you risk shooting your teammates, is largely ineffective. This is a good a place as any to explain the grenade launcher, which with its indirect fire is how a back line support class safely fires without shooting their team mates. Again, friendly fire has been turned down to the point it's not producing the right behaviors.

Next, troopers build walls to keep the drones out. Which is really just them getting to dictate the terrain. Sentry turrets, electric fences, those aren't really doing anything unique; they're basically just an extra trooper and one that shoots each bug once for a stagger instead of trying to finish them. Works well.

Bugs bring Grenadiers to take down walls from a safe distance. Another good design. Just a long enough lob to feel like you have a chance to dodge. Too many of them spawn and setup close enough to the base to be targeted by regular defenders, which is a mistake. It makes them seem cheap. The troopers should have to go out and 'silence the guns'.

Thus, troopers bring hunters with the ability to get elevation for LoS and sighting and long range weapons to shoot grenadiers. Being able to hit specific parts of the grenadier seems essential here. OR if you had a bonus to shooting it right before it launched plasma, when it was at its most volatile. You want the hunter to feel like that word, careful and deliberate.

Bugs bring Gunners to suppress hunters by countersniping. This was the biggest failure pre-patch (and post as well). Gunner behaviour was too punishing with the infinite range, laser focus, rapid fire attacks. As I said before "They should have either reduced their spread, reduced their burst duration, made them stop shooting and flinch if it, or had them strafe instead of focus fire on targets, or increased their ranged damage dropoff so they close to deadly range."

Pilums are the most gamey element in STE so far. A literal reward for mini-missions.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 29, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

quote:

They should have either reduced their spread, reduced their burst duration, made them stop shooting and flinch if it, or had them strafe instead of focus fire on targets, or increased their ranged damage dropoff so they close to deadly range."

Early on Vermintide 2 Gas Grenadier rats had a similar problem - they were mostly an area-denial special, indirectly tossing globes of gas in an area, but they would do so much damage on the very first few ticks they were pretty incredibly debilitating if you even grazed the cloud. They changed it so the damage/tick goes up the longer you're taking damage so they work much more effectively now as actual area denial.

You could do similar for gunners. They're animated like machinegunners but the OG gunners would threeshot you; if the damage ramped up so they were dangerous under sustained fire but not instakills if one happens to be alive while you do a Hunter jump, that would be fine with me too. Right now Gunners are on the other end of the spectrum where theyre largely ignorable except in packs or if you're facetanking several full seconds of direct fire.

Hoppers (the flying bugs) would probably also fill the "anti-hunter" role at some point too

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Let us gently caress the bugs please.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CuddleCryptid posted:

Goddamn bugs whacked us off Rico

e: Is it me or is the game crashing constantly now

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 30, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Finally saw an Armory Mixup, and all I got was a pistol in the wrong slot, a hawkeye, a nuclear detonator, and a cluster grenade. So that round was like playing with one hand tied behind my back. As a mutator I still like the idea, but not cool when you can roll a literally useless piece of poo poo like the nuke.

Edit: follow up Mixup - two Hawkeyes. They share the same pool of ammo They had separate pools after a revive which was kinda nice (also health station and cluster grenade again). Quartermaster must have caught me balls deep in his girl or something.

Double Edit: 'Hold C' on the Hunters jetpack ability is just awful. I'm missing simple jumps left and right, you can't even jump then rocket pack to avoid terrain hangups, and I'm failing fall arrests, and it is pure cancer. gently caress this. I can handle it for Bastion and Operator, but it ruins Hunter for me. Apparently we have controller players to blame for this or (I don't buy that excuse, I think OWI is just pulling poo poo out of their asses left and right, or like the good designer responsible for the original game got a better job or something and we're left with developers trying to design a game and if so god help us all)

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 30, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I have to say I'm not a big fan of changes that don't make it to patch notes; like the "hold to activate" instead of tap to activate for ability, or the removal of passive health regen

They have toggles for hold sprint / hold to ADS so it really should have had the option for the ability there if it was really an issue.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Did this most recent patch unfuck veteran ARC?

I haven't been back since they mutator patch made it a snoozefest.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Yeah veteran arc is good again. Even difficult at times!

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Did this most recent patch unfuck veteran ARC?
VARC is unfucked. Still mutators, so you might have a set worth skipping, but the base game is back.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Finally got a few games in with Pitch Black. I really like it conceptually, but as implemented it sucks. The map, or maybe lighting engine, is just all kinds of not up to snuff. What's illuminated at any time makes no kind of sense. There's no reflection on many surfaces, which is disorienting and frustrating. Like a bug knocks you back a few feet, and the bug is now no longer illuminated and neither is the wall next to you so you just can't see a god damned thing and die. There's a massive overhaul of the lighting needed before I ever play that mutator again.

And guys, please, "no one touch gas til the last minute" is some cargo cult stupidity that needs to stop. By all means hold off on starting the ARC, but having to run 6 cans through a Level 5 horde is just a needless clusterfuck. ...Maybe I just need to take a break from randos for a while and go back to groups.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

It used to be that intensity only went up if you failed an extermination on Arc, so people had tons of time to stockpile ore, get RPGs, etc before getting the gas

Since 0.31 I've noticed that even if you manage to get every single extermination mission done - which is definitely not a guaranteed with the timers back to 5m - threat still seems to increase faster over time now, so you really can't do that anymore.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Looks like they're bringing in the horde mode on august 2nd.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1268750/view/3671047363352186675

quote:

Attention, Deep Space Vanguard! Terran Command has informed us that Arachnids are closing in on our Mobile Headquarters - a lot of them. We expect them to reach their target on Wednesday, August 2 at 10:00 AM PT (GMT-7) with the release of Update 0.4.0: Relentless Hordes. This will be Starship Troopers: Extermination’s second medium deployment, which introduces Horde Mode and Player Profiles with stat tracking. The game’s price on Steam will also be increasing on August 2 from $24.99 USD to $29.99 USD.

Horde Mode will unlock for players at Career Rank 2. In this 16-player mode, Troopers must defend the Mobile Headquarters (MHQ) in the build zone against 10 increasingly difficult waves of Arachnids. Each wave has a Build Phase and a Defense Phase. During the Build Phase, Troopers will have a short amount of time to build and repair base defenses using a limited amount of ore. The MHQ itself can only be repaired with special repair canisters obtained from completing secondary objectives during the match. During the Defend Phase, Troopers must fight off Bugs that spawn in escalating numbers and difficulty. Build Tools cannot be used and Troopers cannot respawn during this phase - if Troopers are downed while Bugs are present, they will need to be revived by their teammates. If the MHQ is destroyed or all Troopers are killed, the match ends in defeat. However, if the MHQ is still standing at the end of 10 waves, a dropship will be deployed to extract any surviving Troopers!

Troopers are to be on the lookout for upcoming transmissions that will share more details as the release of Update 0.4.0: Relentless Hordes approaches.

Pyre out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Price hike incoming!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Horde mode is awesome.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I'm unreasonably annoyed that the "hold to activate" fix didn't make it in

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Horde mode is fun, but grenade launcher is bugged. It only does damage if you hit the bug directly.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Horde mode is fun but for sure harder than the other modes. I had my first ever defeat last night on Wave 10 of Normal. I think only 5 people made it to the dropship and I wasn't one of them. It also didn't help when some rear end in a top hat used our only repair thing early on when the HQ waas only 10% damaged.

I've also learned for horde mode the secondary objectives like power generators or signal boosters can be traps since they don't always drop rocket launchers. I busted my rear end last night securing 2 generators and 1 held thermal charges and the other held mines. I like that you can get extra utility items that get refilled when you resupply but some are just not worth it.

Its crazy how much not being able to repair hurts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't beaten wave 9 on veteran yet but horde mode is a blast and the best thing in the game. It's hilarious that it calls in the evac for the handful of people still alive after you lose too

limp_cheese posted:

I busted my rear end last night securing 2 generators and 1 held thermal charges and the other held mines. I like that you can get extra utility items that get refilled when you resupply but some are just not worth it.

I got scanners one time lmao

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Has the mutators been toned down or shifted to their own playlist? I stopped playing after they got introduced because getting insta gibbed by gunner hordes, or have the gameplay radically altered without the player having a say in the matter got old fast.

RBA Starblade posted:

Goddamn bugs whacked us off Rico

The erectnid menace

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I think horde mode will be a lot more beatable if they fix grenade launchers. Right now they're close to useless.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Finally got a chance to try Horde mode, though only Normal (friends insisted). I really like the pace of repairs being disabled, there's too many bugs that get stuck or lost and have to mopped up, and the later wave compositions feel like too few warriors and just lean on gunners and grenadiers. It's a good start.

Some bizarre changes, or glitches? Hunter can't rocket pack with the build tool inhand. The audio on the Hawkeye sounds like an airsoft gun now and I hate it.

Gunners still suck in terms of gameplay. They just stand still and exchange bullets.

More quality time with Horde mode. I need character skins, so I can stencil "If you are a Hunter, and you're shooting warriors/drones instead of Grenadiers & Tigers, I hate you". Also, the Starport base where the MHQ is in that tiny little square outside the tunnel; hardest location to defend, by far. No room for defense in depth or anything clever.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 7, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Horde mode completion stats:

Matches where I play a Hunter and spend the back half of the game looking at Grenadier asses and clicking LMB like I'm playing Flappy Bird: Wave 9/10/Victory.

Matches where I play anything else and rely on other people to do the butt clicking: Wave 7/8/Defeat/1 trooper makes it to the Viking.

I'm getting real tired of staring down scope and just mindlessly clicking til it falls over. If there were a timing element and/or weak spots so you had to like try to shoot it when its tumescent with plasma and about to blow its load, or you needed a bead on its head or something, there'd be at least some reason to move about and get a better angle instead of just center mass or clipping the edge of the hitbox and spam clicking.

The lack of more-than-basic AI/scripting in the bugs is starting to drag the game down for me. I want to see a mass of warriors wait for a plasma round to blow a hole in the wall then swarm through. I want to see gunners dodging and ducking instead of standing still to be shot to death. And tigers getting stunned or staggered by low calibre weapons means the real threat of them is spamming and I don't care if you're a 6 year old doing the Chun-Li leg kick or a pro SC gamer, anytime you have to rely on spamming to be a threat it's boring as gently caress. Cheesing a dumb AI that's only trick is numbers ain't any kind of real challenge, nor is buffing/nerfing damage stats. loving do something impressive already.

OWI needs to step up their game (design).

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 8, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Slyphic posted:

If there were a timing element and/or weak spots so you had to like try to shoot it when its tumescent with plasma and about to blow its load, or you needed a bead on its head or something, there'd be at least some reason to move about and get a better angle instead of just center mass or clipping the edge of the hitbox and spam clicking.

I'm quite sure grenadiers do have a weak spot when they open up to shoot out their plasma from their butts. You can see it most eveident using rockets. Unopned you need 4-5 rockets to kill them, when they go full goatse it only takes 2-3 if you get it up their rear end.

The game even shows this with the crosshair although it isn't super clear. If you shoot anywhere else the hit marker is yellow to show you are hitting armour vs. the white from shooting their open rear end.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

limp_cheese posted:

I'm quite sure grenadiers do have a weak spot when they open up to shoot out their plasma from their butts. You can see it most eveident using rockets. Unopned you need 4-5 rockets to kill them, when they go full goatse it only takes 2-3 if you get it up their rear end.

The game even shows this with the crosshair although it isn't super clear. If you shoot anywhere else the hit marker is yellow to show you are hitting armour vs. the white from shooting their open rear end.

They appear to have these but the devs confirmed that there isn't any functional weakpoints on bugs right now, unless that has changed with the recent update.

E. I forgot to add before it was said below, but yeah it is a future feature. It just isn't in the early access yet.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 8, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

limp_cheese posted:

Contrapoint, OWI devs have straight up told us multiple times that weak spots is a feature they have yet to implement and do not currently exist in game. You're either not getting direct hits with some of those rockets so only partial splash damage, or there's a mutator or wave mutator or difficulty parameter changing the damage calculation, or someone else is also shooting the grenadier, and there's probably UI elements for weak spots in the game. But as a mechanic, it's just not there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I think I'm going to sideline this game until I hear something positive. Back to back bad weekends playing pubby games with a couple friends now.

Significantly less talkative players, more selfish, less willing to help out the team. And evac has gotten miserable with people all going solo and running past your dead body (and they're all Hunters).

What's interesting is that I think there's a single small change responsible for it. When I go down in a game, I pull up the map and start flipping through spectation, trying to call out where help is needed. And what I saw was half the team down and 4 lone snipers in towers with ammo fabs just ignoring everything and shooting warriors with hawkeyes and pilums while plasma rains down on the base. So yeah, I got salty and started yelling directly at some of them by name.

And those selfish motherfuckers had the gall to be honest about what they were doing. They were trying to pump their KDR numbers.

Because that's a stat now. And apparently a significant portion of the player base is so stat obsessed they want to gently caress the mission and the team and just mindlessly shoot warriors and drones to get that number, that no one can see but themselves, as high as possible.

OWI made a significant design mistake and probably don't even realize it.

So yeah, going to take a break from that poo poo. I'll check back in next major update, but the current player base is either clan 16-player games or miserable pubbies so braindead they're letting a stat make them toxic players.