Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Welcome to the (new) miniatures and scenery painting Oath Thread!

This is a place to make an 'Oath' to complete a miniatures painting project, typically monthly, however you can oath whatever start and end dates makes sense for your own project. Both miniatures projects and scenery projects (and the combination of the two) are welcome. Oaths are typically made for painting unfinished figures and scenery, however feel free to promise key renovations of painted figures, overhauls, whatever it is the work you want to do for the month.

The purpose of this thread is to help motivate us painters and hobbyists who just require deadlines to get anything done, and also any discussion about whatever projects people are working on.

This sounds different from the previous Oath threads...
All of the contest elements and rules been retired in favor of this new (and much more relaxed) style of Oath thread, more about that later.

What are the rules
There are no rules.

Ok then, what are the 'guidelines'
  1. Make a post including a picture of your unfinished mini, in whatever state you want to start your project. Use an online image hosting service like Imgur and link your images from there. Optionally you may want to include a picture of your starting image with Current Time in American Samoa in view behind the picture. This may be your tradition from the Oath thread that you want to continue, or else you might just find it useful to help keep track of the history of your projects this way. (see 'Traditions')
  2. When you are complete, post a picture of your completed work in whatever setting you choose.
  3. Progress pictures are welcome and discussion of your work and others is encouraged.
  4. You may want to include a 'watermark' of your SA user name as part of the with start and completion pictures, but this is not required. (As there are no rules).
  5. There will be monthly 'prompts', similar to the previous monthly 'themes', including a list to pick from, as well as a (partially) randomized monthly prompt. Ideally declare your Prompt with your starting pic, however if you get inspired later in the month just include in your finished pic.
  6. Recommend if you have a project crossing month boundaries, and/or taking longer than a month, making a 'monthly affirmation' ideally with a progress photo, to help keep you motivated and so we get to see what you are doing.
So how does this differ from the Oath thread?
  1. No points, judges, spreadsheet, achivements, galleries, rules
  2. Setting your own time frames for painting
  3. Monthly 'Prompts' instead of Themes
Monthly Prompts
Monthly prompts are here to give you ideas for a project, especially when you are stuck (with maybe some figs you don't have a good opinion of, but still want to get painted). There will both be the following list of propmt ideas, but also a specific monthly prompt for each month, that might be one of the existing prompts, or maybe not! This will be random most of the time but may be topical by month (e.g. Halloween, winter, etc.)

Here is the set from Season 13, which will be expanded on:
  1. Multiverse of Madness - Paint a model that somehow references another setting or character - e.g. a proud knight dressed in full plate in the colours of Iron Man's suit, a fantasy football team in the colours of a baseball team, a wizard with a strange technological wand (aka sonic screwdriver), some urban graffiti with the hand of Saruman.
  2. Smoothly Does It - Add a smooth blend between two or more colours/shades on your model.
  3. A Real Scorcher - Your model should feature flames or a heat source of some kind. This could a soldier firing a flamethrower, a dragon roasting some unfortunate adventurers, a spaceship at full thrust or an overcharged plasma cannon. OSL isn't necessary but may help get the point across.
  4. The Chop Shop - Your model should be customised or customisable in some way. e.g. Sculpt it yourself, a kitbash or headswap, changable weapons or fun with magnets / LEDs!
  5. Raise Your Flag - Your model should feature a large banner or flag. This could be held proudly or draped against the side of a vehicle or wall. For settings where a large banner is inappropriate, nose art or similar mural art can be used.
  6. Send Shivers Down Your Spine - Paint up something creepy or spooky. Could be a ghost, or some classic undead or hammer horror inspired figures. Could be a more modern take on horror ala The Ring or something unsettling or wrong about an otherwise ordinary scene.
  7. Shine on Crazy Diamond - Add something shiny to your model. This could be using chrome metallics, NMM, glossy scales, or similar
  8. Lay on the Texture - Paint a figure featuring heavy fur or other texture. This doesn't necessarily have to be modelled on, you could paint a fake texture such as marble.
  9. Obligatory WIP Month - Take at least three Work in Progress pictures of your oath, if you take more please link to an external gallery of them.
  10. Making a Splash - Your model should look wet or feature water effects. Maybe they're a slimy toad, are fighting in the rain or even just standing over a puddle.
  11. Shades of Grey - Use a limited colour palette on your model, e.g. everything is different shades of blue. Optionally throw in a single accent colour, Sin-City style.
  12. University of Hard Knocks - Your model should feature weathering, e.g. rust, mud or heat staining. Alternately they could be under the effects of heavy weather such as a storm, blizzard or hurricane.
  13. Repair Time - revisit something you were never quite happy with, or is in fact technically broken and requiring an actual repair. Post a pic and explain the task in hand, whether it be an actual fix or just a rework of an old paint job. Let's see what we can improve!
  14. Maximum Carnage Include some gore or battle damage on your model. Maybe they won the fight or maybe they lost it, but either way something took some heavy damage! Or maybe all the damage/gore is part of the model's base.
  15. Cooling Off Include something 'cold' in your model, whether it be ice and snow, or perhaps just an overall 'cool' color scheme.
Traditions
While we impose no rules on painting Oaths, we recommend a set of Traditions developed over years of oathing, as yet another source of motivation.
  1. Post your monthly Oath start pic w/Current Time in American Samoa in the background
  2. On the last month of each season, post a picture including all the work you did that season. (This was formerly an achivement). Me I also like to try and post everything I've ever Oathed (this gets difficult over time...)
  3. Include a watermark of your username on (at least) your completed pics at end of project.
Resources
Links that might be useful when thinking about your projects:
  1. Season 13 (for inspiration)
  2. Season 13 Spreadsheet
  3. Current Time in American Samoa
So... why the change from the previous style of Oathing?
Over the last couple years attendance and judging dropped off, and for the die hard Oathers there was less and less interest in the competitive aspect. At the end of season 13 it was generally agreed that we wanted some kind of 'oath' thread, just a lot more relaxed (and ideally a lot less work to administrate), so this new style of Oath thread was proposed. The Oath threads have been great motivators and certainly kick started a new era of minis painting and scenery projects for me, and it's worth digging through the old threads and see all the great work that was done.

So welcome to the (new relaxed style) Oath thread, and remember it's a Oath you make to yourself!

[1] As there are no rules.

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Lol I have no idea how to fix the thread title.

Anyhow kicking off the new Oath season with a stumble with one week left in May, I'm gonna try to get a bit of painting done however feel free to start an Oath you plan to finish by end of June (or whenever)

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
I, gameraMan, Oath a bunch of creatures for May!

In keeping with the new relaxed approach, I Oath to paint some of these creatures in the picture below (a mix of wizkids and reaper):

I'll say more than 1 fig, and less than 20 :-)

Oath is to finish *something* by end of May.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I fixed the title for ya!
It's nice to see the oath thread is still doing its thing. I haven't painted a mini in like five years but this used to be the motivator for me, and it was fun doing prizes & spreadsheets & whatnot.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Leperflesh posted:

I fixed the title for ya!
It's nice to see the oath thread is still doing its thing. I haven't painted a mini in like five years but this used to be the motivator for me, and it was fun doing prizes & spreadsheets & whatnot.

Yay thank you for the fix!! Yes hoping to keep this thread going and people painting :-)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thanks for kicking this off! As a creature of habit I’m going to oath pledge at the start of June and spend the next week getting my area cleaned up.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
I'll join in and post some stuff that'll make use of the relaxed format.

I, Bad Decision Dino, oath a single Squat for May!
With a couple of days left in the month, I just wanted a fun model to paint a try out some of the new paints (new Vallejo Game Color, SC75 Alchemy, SC75 artist acryllic and SC75 oils) and new wet palette (RGG studio XL 2) I bought, and try some new techniques.

I had a little hobby time in the afternoon when my kids were napping, and decided to get started on trying to get a nice airbrushed gradient on him before I thought about taking a picture.

I, Bad Decision Dino, oath a Balrog and Dweller in the Dark for June!
Next month I'll finish off this Balrog and Dweller in the Dark to round out my Moria army for MESBG.

I, Bad Decision Dino, oath 500 points of Sons of Horus for August!
One of the thing I want to try with the more relaxed format is oathing a bigger project and then coming back to it each month. The stars appear to have finally aligned on me being able to play Heresy, and I am very hyped. My list (for now) consists of 18 models (centurion, 7 reavers and 10 despoilers). I'm still waiting on some of the bits and paints to come in the mail. My partial goal for June is to get everything built, converted, magnetized, primed and to airbrush the primary colour transition (green and colour) and a coat of gloss on all the models.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Bad Decision Dino posted:

I'll join in and post some stuff that'll make use of the relaxed format.

I, Bad Decision Dino, oath a single Squat for May!
With a couple of days left in the month, I just wanted a fun model to paint a try out some of the new paints (new Vallejo Game Color, SC75 Alchemy, SC75 artist acryllic and SC75 oils) and new wet palette (RGG studio XL 2) I bought, and try some new techniques.

I had a little hobby time in the afternoon when my kids were napping, and decided to get started on trying to get a nice airbrushed gradient on him before I thought about taking a picture.

Oath complete!

This guy was mostly an excuse for me to try out an oil wash.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint Espern Locarno (GW) in May!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Oath complete!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Oath ... Progress!

So I really wanted to paint some little dudes, I chose these guys and got this far:

However my eyes really suck and my one magnifying glass just isn't cutting it, gonna have to shop for something better and bigger if I'm gonna continue these dudes. So kicking these into next month!

Thanks folks who joined in for this short month!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Really nice work! (In 1 day wow...)

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 1, 2023

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Start of June Oaths!

Ok we did in fact start a new oath thread, albeit a bit late, but now let's start a whole new month of painting!

For this month I shall declare Repair Time as a Prompt for the month and a new Prompt in general.

For Repair Time, revisit something you were never quite happy with, or is in fact technically broken and requiring an actual repair. I certainly have more than enough Oath'd figs where I made the end of the month but was not necessarily happy with the result... Post a pic and explain the task in hand, whether it be an actual fix or just a rework of an old paint job. Let's see what we can improve!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, oath to paint this mummy which is a random print that I picked up with something else on a whim

Long time oath thread lurker, first time participating poster. I'm looking for some painting inspiration at the moment, so hopefully this will give me a kick up the arse, even if it's just one mini.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath complete

I guess the motivation part worked. Now to start improving my painting and photography

Beffer fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 8, 2023

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sorry for the delay in chiming in!

I, Ashcans, oath to repair this Eldar War Walker for June. As you can see it’s in rough shape, so I’m going to reassemble it with pinning as needed.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
I, gameraMan, oath to fix a thing and finish another thing!

First I'm going to try and finish up my little demon dudes from last month, but also claiming Repair this month to finally motivate me to fix the broken hand on this LOTR statue of one side of the Argonath (I think this came with a DVD set):

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I, Muir, Oath to paint some Star Warses!

I just finished assembling the core box for Star Wars: Shatterpoint and am pretty stoked about it. I'd like to paint the whole box, but we'll see how many I get through. I got back into painting off and on for the past couple of years (Warhammer Underworlds mostly) but have fallen off for the past several months. I'm probably going to stick mostly with Contrast paint for this project so it might be feasible to get through all 16.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

gameraMan posted:

Repair Time

Oh do I have something for this.

Observe these five Stormboyz that went off my balcony in the ultimate Deep Strike because I was in a rush and had an unearned confidence in my new magnet bases to hold up on a windy day of priming. Observe that they're still missing a few heads and a jetpack, lost somewhere on the concrete a floor below, that haven't emerged after a week or so of squinting around furtively every time I leave the apartment. So, I, Destrado, oath the repair and painting of these 5 Stormboyz for June.

Might not quite make it by then, but it'll hopefully force me to stop futzing with highlights and colour changes on my other stormboyz to get these done.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I Beffer oath this GW grey seer

His tail broke when I hit him with a toothbrush after a Dettol bath. He's been sitting primed on my paint box for several months, but cometh the hour cometh the rat.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Muir posted:

I, Muir, Oath to paint some Star Warses!

I just finished assembling the core box for Star Wars: Shatterpoint and am pretty stoked about it. I'd like to paint the whole box, but we'll see how many I get through. I got back into painting off and on for the past couple of years (Warhammer Underworlds mostly) but have fallen off for the past several months. I'm probably going to stick mostly with Contrast paint for this project so it might be feasible to get through all 16.

Better photos to come eventually, but I got the whole core set painted up!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Oath complete!

Except I still haven't learned how to take decent photos. I will keep trying but for the moment...

Edit: I tried with my DSLR. At least the depth of field is OK and it's more or less in focus. Any bluriness is my dodgy painting at this point:

Edit2: now with the white balance fixed:

Beffer fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 30, 2023

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath to paint Pious Vorne (GW) in June!

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Oath complete!

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
Oath progress!

Is what I'll proclaim this odd month, where I started some work on one coast, but had to spend a couple weeks on another coast (where I promptly bought some more paint so I could start up some new work) and so it's a bit of a hodgepodge.

ANYhow...

A couple really lousy last minute imps and quasits pics, taken last minute before leaving:

Now this is the hand replacement that I didn't get a chance to actually paint properly, but it's pretty close to where I want it:

Then when I got to the other coast I bought a bunch those Army Painter 'speed paints' to some mixed results (and here is the oath pic I forgot to actually post):

With progress but also not quite complete wizard dudes (with terrible taste):

Anyhow it's great seeing everyone else's work, especially stoked to see the 'Repair' theme trigger some interest (I kept not doing repair type work since it didn't into the 'oath structure', which was kind of anti-motivating...) Ok next month here we come!!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath complete!

I managed to put this thing back together, but the process confirmed for that this is among the worst designed models ever conceived. I hate it.

I have another of these I never finished, maybe one day I’ll get the motivation for it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

starting this up for July.

I, Laumella, oath to paint up this Epic Encounter

Been in a bit of a slump painting wise, so thought I'd break it with an organised project with a defined aesthetic: 21 figures, ranging from snakemen grunts up to a massive snake monster with some interesting character pieces on the way. Many of the grunts are just getting a speedpaint, but I've done a zenithal that I'm going to enhance with a drybrush that should create some interesting light and shade.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I should probably get in on this for more motivation to finish my dumb bullshit.

I, Cthulu Carl, oath to paint these Demonship minis

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Been in a bit of a slump painting wise, so thought I'd break it with an organised project with a defined aesthetic: 21 figures, ranging from snakemen grunts up to a massive snake monster with some interesting character pieces on the way. Many of the grunts are just getting a speedpaint, but I've done a zenithal that I'm going to enhance with a drybrush that should create some interesting light and shade.

Speed paint test on one archer. Not entirely in love with the colours, or the speedpaint effect. Might instead try a brown wash across everything and then snakeman skintone and other details over the top. We'll see.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I, Beffer, oath to paint this pit fighter from Grimforge Miniatures (and probably to post a badly lit out of focus picture of it) in the month of July

Elf Actualization
Feb 10, 2011
I, Elf Actualization, oath to paint this Canoness and Battle Sisters in the month of July

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Do we have a prompt for this month? Trying to get motivated on a project.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
July Oathing!

Sorry a bit late been traveling, glad to see some oaths already kicked off!

Anyhow I dug through the last few years of monthly challenges and found a few that aren't in the current list, and more or less randomly have chosen for July...

Maximum Carnage Include some gore or battle damage on your model. Maybe they won the fight or maybe they lost it, but either way something took some heavy damage! Or maybe all the damage/gore is part of the model's base.

(I think for future months, I might literally roll dice to pick the monthly...)

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Lamuella posted:

Speed paint test on one archer. Not entirely in love with the colours, or the speedpaint effect. Might instead try a brown wash across everything and then snakeman skintone and other details over the top. We'll see.

So you're using the Army Painter speedpaints too? Yea I'm a little iffy on how they work, trying to decide if i prefer my usual '20 layers of paint' approach...

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

gameraMan posted:

So you're using the Army Painter speedpaints too? Yea I'm a little iffy on how they work, trying to decide if i prefer my usual '20 layers of paint' approach...

I did one in speedpaints and was feeling a bit iffy. What I've done is to do a second one with a heavy brown wash over the zenithal, then picking out skin and cloth in regular acrylics. Both take about the same amount of time, and I think I like the look of the wash / acrylic better.

Speedpaint is on the left, acrylic on the right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I, Ashcans, oath 5 Repentia and their Superior for June

Seems like a good candidate for damage?

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?

Ashcans posted:

I, Ashcans, oath 5 Repentia and their Superior for June

Seems like a good candidate for damage?

Looks like it to me!

Now I need to get my own oath out lol...

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lamuella posted:

OK, so two and a bit weeks into July here's where we are:

Mix of techniques on these. I gave up on speedpaints because the results, while quick, were too brash. Instead I did a zenithal on everything, a brown wash over the zenithal, and then a mixture of either acrylic paints or acrylic inks. Partway through the month I bought a bunch of dropper bottles for various projects and used them to mix up appropriate strengths of red, yellow, and blue ink in solution with matte medium and a little bit of airbrush flow improver. The result was a really workable glaze that I could mix to get green and orange (while using blue and red as well) for skintones. I tried doing the same with gold ink with slightly less success.

Still to go: two character minis, one zombi snake, and then Big Snake.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

You want die?
I, gameraMan, Oath 1 Roper Beast for July

Going with Gore over damage, but anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Three out of five Demonship minis done

Just have the two Blade Demons left. Right now they're red, but I dunno, I might redo them in orange to keep things bright.