Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

What is Star Trek?

Star Trek is a science fiction television and motion picture franchise originally created by Gene Roddenberry and a bunch of other creative people in 1966. In the nearly 60 years since then, it has spawned 11 television shows, 13 feature films, and countless books, video games, comics, and other media properties, with even more of each still on the way as of this very moment.

What defines "Classic" Trek?

This thread concerns itself with the first six Trek series spanning from 1966 to 2005 when the franchise was killed off by former UPN and CBS executive and prolific sexmonster Les Moonves.

These series are: Star Trek, Star Trek: The Animated Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, and Star Trek: Enterprise (previously just Enterprise).

For the "Modern" era of Star Trek (2017-present), starting with Star Trek: Discovery, please consult this thread here. Meanwhile, you can find the previous incarnation of the Classic Trek thread right here.

Why two threads?

Because back in the early days of Modern Trek, goons were absolutely insufferable about it and needed an entire second thread to keep their bitching contained from discussion about "actual" Star Trek. Enough time has passed between then and now and enough actual good Modern Trek shows have emerged that the division between the threads is now just one of eras, rather than assholes. As such, this thread is for reminiscing about Trek shows past or discussing rewatches, while the Modern Trek thread is for discussing the new episodes of the currently-running Star Trek shows.

Can I talk about Modern Trek here?

If you wish.

What about the movies?

Go for it. Better than making a CineD thread about them, I guess...

Tell me about each show!

Star Trek (1966-1969)
Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig and Majel Barrett

Retroactively known as The Original Series or TOS, Star Trek is the story of the five year mission of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 under the command of Captain James Kirk and his intrepid crew. The "five year mission" lasted only three years in TV time despite a massive letter writing campaign and help from Hollywood power couple Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz to rescue it from cancellation at least once. The show established virtually every convention and trope in the Star Trek universe, starting a legacy that has lasted six decades and counting. When the original series went off the air, demand for more Star Trek was so high it led to a Saturday morning animated spin-off and then an entire feature film franchise following the crew of the Enterprise; Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, The Final Frontier, and The Undiscovered Country.

Characters originally created for TOS, most notably Spock, Uhura, Kirk, Scotty, Doctor M'Benga, Nurse Chapel, and Christopher Pike, as well as Number One (Una Chin-Riley) from the unaired Star Trek pilot "The Cage" have gone on to appear in Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Star Trek: The Animated Series (1973-1974)
Starring: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, and Majel Barrett

An animated spin-off to TOS continuing the voyages of the Enterprise and making use of the animated medium to explore plots and characters not possible in live action, like cat people and three armed dudes, twenty foot tall Spocks, and Literally Satan. Lasting two seasons, the series was considered non-canon for decades with the exception of the episode "The Counter-Clock Incident" which introduced the character of Robert April, the original commander of the Enterprise before Jim Kirk or Chris Pike. The Next Generation and Lower Decks would later reference more locations and story material from the series, slowly dragging it into canon bit-by-bit, and Robert April himself is a major recurring character on Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Known as TAS for short, the animated series was notable for not just the entire TOS cast reprising their roles (sans Walter Koenig), but for nearly all the guest characters being voiced by either James Doohan or Nichelle Nichols. It was also the only Trek series to win a top-level, non creative arts Emmy, albeit a Daytime Emmy.

The series was produced by Filmation, the animation studio behind cartoons like He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, She-Ra: Princess of Power, Fat Albert and the C*sby Kids, Ghostbusters (the one with the gorilla, not Harold Ramis), and BraveStarr.

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994)
Starring: Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Gates McFadden, Brent Spiner, LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Marina Sirtis, Wil Wheaton, Denise Crosby, and Diana Muldaur

After the runaway success of the Star Trek films up to that point in time, a new Star Trek TV show was greenlit set 80 years in the future from TOS and starring a new crew led by Captain Jean-Luc Picard on a brand new U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D. Lasting for seven seasons, TNG as it became known, went on to set the standard, visually and tonally, for 90s TV Trek. The series was a smash hit for a syndicated television series, making it the most-watched pre-streaming Trek show by a vast margin. Following its conclusion in 1994 with "All Good Things...", TNG would go on to have a four movie feature film run: Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis.

Main cast members of TNG would later return for Star Trek: Enterprise, Star Trek: Lower Decks, Star Trek: Prodigy, and Star Trek: Picard, particularly its third and final season.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993-1999)
Starring: Avery Brooks, Nana Visitor, René Auberjonois, Colm Meaney, Alexander Siddig, Terry Farrel, Michael Dorn, Armin Shimerman, Cirroc Lofton, Aron Eisenberg, and Nicole de Boer

The first of two spin offs launched from TNG. Set on the newly established Federation starbase of Deep Space Nine, DS9 as it was known, was a much more gritty and conflict-driven Trek series compared to TNG. Led by Captain Benjamin Sisko of the U.S.S. Defiant NX-74205, the show eschewed the conventions established by TNG by mainly being set in one location and having the plot come to it instead of traveling the galaxy in search of it, and by showing actual interpersonal conflicts between characters and serialized season-spanning storylines that culminated in the Dominion War, an on-going story that spanned the final three seasons of the show.

Characters from DS9 such as Kira, Quark, Rom and Leeta would return for cameo appearances on Star Trek: Lower Decks, while Odo appears on Star Trek: Prodigy via use of archival audio.

Star Trek: Voyager (1995-2001)
Starring: Kate Mulgrew, Robert Beltran, Roxann Dawson, Tim Russ, Robert Duncan McNeill, Garrett Wang, Robert Picardo, Jeri Ryan, Ethan Phillips, and Jennifer Lien

The second and final spin-off of TNG, Voyager or VOY followed the adventures of the starship U.S.S. Voyager NCC-74656 under the command of Captain Kathryn Janeway as its crew navigated the treacherous Delta Quadrant on a quest to find a way back home to Earth after a wormhole encounter gone wrong. While more episodic in nature compared to DS9 in an attempt to recapture some of the magic of TNG, according to streaming data Voyager has become the most-watched classic era Star Trek show thanks to it's somewhat interchangeable episode order and lack of major changes to the status quo.

Main cast members from Voyager such as Janeway, Chakotay, Tuvok, Seven of Nine, Tom Paris, and The Doctor would later return in Star Trek: Picard, Star Trek: Prodigy, and Star Trek: Lower Decks.

Star Trek: Enterprise (2001-2005)
Starring: Scott Bakula, Jolene Blalock, Connor Trineer, John Billingsley, Dominic Keating, Linda Park and Anthony Montgomery

The final series in the Classic Trek era travels back in time nearly 100 years before Kirk's Enterprise and explores the adventures of the original starship Enterprise NX-01, launched by humanity before the founding of the Federation under the command of Captain Jonathan Archer. Originally known only as Enterprise or ENT for short, it was later renamed Star Trek: Enterprise after a third season retooling in an attempt to recover flagging ratings, but after its fourth season it was canceled by UPN--the first Trek show since TOS not to end on its own terms--and with it, the Classic Trek era came to a close.

Where can I watch Classic Trek?

Paramout is currently in the process of slowly dying a money-based death, but for now you can find all the Classic Trek series on Paramount+ (home of All* Star Trek except Prodigy) in the US and countries where Paramount+ is available. It is also available through Amazon's Prime Video service (mostly) worldwide either à la carte or linked in with a Paramount+ membership, again for now. Or on Netflix and CTV Sci Fi Channel (along with its Modern Trek counterparts, Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds AND Prodigy!) in Canada... for now.

What's this "Beej" I keep hearing about?

Lo'laHbe'! Mu'tlheghmeyraj batlhlIj!

WORTHLESS FOOL! YOU DISHONOR YOUR HOUSE!

Experience Bij!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimerman, not Shimmerman, drat it. :mad:

(Also, it's à la carte, as in ordering a meal or dish from a restaurant in specific, as opposed to a prix fixe meal.)

quote:

the animated series was notable for not just the entire TOS cast reprising their roles

Except for Koenig.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Shimerman, not Shimmerman, drat it. :mad:

(Also, it's à la carte, as in ordering a meal or dish from a restaurant in specific, as opposed to a prix fixe meal.)

Except for Koenig.

All fixed now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hello new thread you smell like you’ve just been cleaned of accumulated baryon particles.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It should be noted that the Animated series is the only series to be officially considered cannon.

It itself being based off the 60's cultural crazy that was Spock flavored sugar smacks

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

It should be noted that the Animated series is the only series to be officially considered cannon.

It itself being based off the 60's cultural crazy that was Spock flavored sugar smacks

Spock: Captain. Our Space Energy levels are down to 13%. We require a nutritious breakfast.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I enjoy "Star Trek."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i appreciate that on the delta flyers garrett wang and robert duncan mcneill are very much being like "okay, yeah, it was the 1990s and we were learning but WOW this show is racist and tom paris is a goddamn creep"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*breathes in that fantastic new thread smell*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh you’ve redecorated! It’s badly spelled.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Can't believe you left out the best and most canon of Star Trek, Galaxy Quest. :lofty:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Can't believe you left out the best and most canon of Star Trek, Galaxy Quest. :lofty:

This is one of the most tired jokes among Trek fandom, honestly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm watching Deep Space 9 for the first time. Seems like good timing with a new thread.

I just finished the Tosk episode. This is a pretty strong first season so far.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I like early DS9 where they don't know quite what the tone is going to be, stuff like Move Along Home is like TOS in a good way

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I like early DS9 where they don't know quite what the tone is going to be, stuff like Move Along Home is like TOS in a good way

Yeah in the first seasons it really seems like the series could of gotten quite a few different ways.

While it would be terrible, I still sort of want to see a world in which they decide yeah lets just go all in and only make Move Along Home type episodes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Every time Odo reveals himself to be a drink cart or a painting I go full Lucille Bluth.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm watching Deep Space 9 for the first time. Seems like good timing with a new thread.

I just finished the Tosk episode. This is a pretty strong first season so far.

DS9 has easily the strongest first season of Berman-era Trek and it's not particularly close. TNG was a disaster, Voyager was boring, Enterprise was just plain bad.

It has its warts, but it found its footing pretty quickly, largely because the writers quickly adapted to the starring cast's strengths.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I gotta admit I wasn't such a fan of the two part opener. There was something just off about it. Maybe weird direction for line delivery. Maybe poorly done ADR. I dunno, but it was like uncanny valley practically.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I gotta admit I wasn't such a fan of the two part opener. There was something just off about it. Maybe weird direction for line delivery. Maybe poorly done ADR. I dunno, but it was like uncanny valley practically.

Emissary is the best Trek premiere, but yeah, its one flaw IMO is that Brooks doesn't have the vibe of his delivery down yet, and Carson can't direct him into it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Timby posted:

This is one of the most tired jokes among Trek fandom, honestly.

This is the classic Star Trek thread. Tired old jokes are par for the course, along with the same tired old arguments such as whether or not a transporter kills you when you use one.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Eighties ZomCom posted:

such as whether or not a transporter kills you when you use one.

For the next 7 pages, I..

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Eighties ZomCom posted:

This is the classic Star Trek thread. Tired old jokes are par for the course, along with the same tired old arguments such as whether or not a transporter kills you when you use one.

360i is, if anything, too many pixels for viewing classic trek

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

HARD TO PORT

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

there's coffee in this new thread :smug:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Eat the cereal, or be vaporized. It is only logical.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Timby posted:

HARD TO PORT

Jean-Luc, blow up the drat thread!

So much for the Trek Thread-E. We barely knew her. Think they'll post another one?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

this MFer said "bodly"

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

this MFer said "bodly"

It's what Gene would have wanted

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Amusing timing as I'm watching DS9 now myself, just watched the Holodeck episode with Secret Agent Bashir. That was fun. Particularly Garak's responses to Bashir's fetishized version of his day job.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cross-Section posted:

It's what Gene would have wanted

https://twitter.com/Farts_Johnson/status/1145654870080401409?s=20

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
First Q appearance. Him ranting about Base. Commerce. is loving amazing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

He's not wrong about waves and waves of cum though.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

gene would’ve been great on podcasts

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Gene would have been an incredible L. Ron Hubbard type cult leader had Hubbard himself only stuck to lovely novels.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Enterprise came out when I was an adult and thus cannot be considered classic as I am not that old. Please fix, cheers.

God, it was 20 years ago wasn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kris xK posted:

Enterprise came out when I was an adult and thus cannot be considered classic as I am not that old. Please fix, cheers.

God, it was 20 years ago wasn't it.

Almost 22 actually