Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe there’s an alternate universe where Worf ended up the permanent chief engineer. He’s kind of a jack of all trades everyman in season 1. Ostensibly yeah, he’s shadowing Tasha, but he does basic science and comms stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Penitent posted:

I need to find the video again but Marina Sirtis told a story at a con that her job was probably saved by Crosby leaving. Sirtis said that Majel Roddenberry confided in her that Gene had been told by producers that they wanted to remove either her or Crosby.
This is similar to how they almost got rid of Harry Kim on Voyager but ended up firing Jennifer Lien to make room for Jeri Ryan

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is similar to how they almost got rid of Harry Kim on Voyager but ended up firing Jennifer Lien to make room for Jeri Ryan

Yeah, Harry was saved purely because People magazine named Garrett Wang one of the hottest men of 1997 and Rick Berman was like "Aw god dammit! :rolleyes:"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Voyager's dereliction of its own cast is so strange to me. Most of the cast got bugger-all to work with after S3 and the producers seem to resent that their characters are inert?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

No Dignity posted:

Voyager's dereliction of its own cast is so strange to me. Most of the cast got bugger-all to work with after S3 and the producers seem to resent that their characters are inert?

It feels very obvious in retrospect that Voyager was supposed to be Jeri Taylor's show with the characters she wrote and cared about, and then she got pushed out/retired and Berman/Braga didn't care about the characters nearly as much, just making more Star Trek. (Taylor, for example, literally wrote the book on Janeway's history, Mosaic.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jennifer Lien left Voyager because she had developed a rather terrible addiction to diet pills due to pressure from the producers to maintain a certain weight.

Penitent posted:

I need to find the video again but Marina Sirtis told a story at a con that her job was probably saved by Crosby leaving. Sirtis said that Majel Roddenberry confided in her that Gene had been told by producers that they wanted to remove either her or Crosby.

I'm sure Sirtis believed that, but Majel was hardly a fountain of truth. Remember, she rushed to get David Alexander's Star Trek Creator hagiography of Gene out to shelves because she learned that Joel Engel's book about Roddenberry wasn't exactly shying away from the less-than-savory aspects of Roddenberry's life.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

It feels very obvious in retrospect that Voyager was supposed to be Jeri Taylor's show with the characters she wrote and cared about, and then she got pushed out/retired and Berman/Braga didn't care about the characters nearly as much, just making more Star Trek. (Taylor, for example, literally wrote the book on Janeway's history, Mosaic.)

That was exactly my conclusion too lol, the tone shift between S3 and S4 is wild

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Jennifer Lien left Voyager because she had developed a rather terrible addiction to diet pills due to pressure from the producers to maintain a certain weight.
There were plans to fire Garrett Wang at one point though, right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

There were plans to fire Garrett Wang at one point though, right?

Yes. Garrett Wang has said a few times now, they were killing off Harry in Scorpion, he was getting fired, and People Magazine basically saved his rear end.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Imagine an alternate timeline where Voyager didn't achieve the heights of pure mediocrity before squandering all its good will on a poorly cobbled together final season.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Imagine an alternate timeline where Voyager didn't achieve the heights of pure mediocrity before squandering all its good will on a poorly cobbled together final season.

See that's the thing, is I like the less explosive quieter family trying to figure out a way home Voyager that the first three seasons are. I think that's why I'm softer on it than a lot of you, those seasons in particular are when I watched the show a lot as a kid and while they definitely have issues they're at least not squandering all the ideas of what Voyager could have been yet to turn into BORG BORG BORG.

honestly the thing that confuses me the most is that "11:59" is in Season 5, because it feels like an outtake from those earlier seasons. It's exactly the kind of stuff Taylor liked doing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And there's no way they'd have done a quiet, contemplative episode about Janeway undergoing a religious experience and having to question her faith in scientific rationalism in S6, or had any episode at all about Neelix experiencing genuine drama

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Taear posted:

Which is madness when really the "redundant" jobs were clearly worf/tasha

Would 100% be on board for Counselor Worf
"To hide from your feelings is cowardice!"
"If Jenny from Engineering continues to make passive aggressive comments then you must FIND HER AND KILL HER"

Hell it feels like most of Troi's time on the bridge is saying how aggressive alien of the week is being, Worf can easily do that too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Voyager felt the influence of First Contact in a big way. Being chill and even boring like late TNG is out, it’s time to get Sexy and Thrilling! It’s very belated and tame Star Trek version of getting edgy for the 90s.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

skasion posted:

Voyager felt the influence of First Contact in a big way. Being chill and even boring like late TNG is out, it’s time to get Sexy and Thrilling! It’s very belated and tame Star Trek version of getting edgy for the 90s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_pCLl6HmdA

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's been forever since I watched Voyager, but I remember my biggest complaint was they completely ignored the general premise. It probably did come up occasionally and I'm just not remembering it.

The ideas that two crews who hate each other and are forced to work together and survive was completely dropped after Bellana became chief engineer a few episodes in, and it comes up once more where all it results in is Tuvok forcing the 4 most rebellious Maquis to run laps in high G.

The fact that they're far away and have no support from the Federation rarely comes up beyond "we can't replicate all the food we want and have to eat this awful root from funny alien man lol"

Most episodes they barely seem to care about getting home, they're just another comfy Federation ship going from one planet of the week to the next. Overall the whole show felt like a way to use warmed over rejected TNG scripts. There are multiple times when they could have gotten home earlier but just didn't. The time Q offered being the most egregious that I can remember. I assume Janeway never told anyone or put in her logs that she turned down his offer, because if the crew ever found out they should have mutinied.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes they drop the Maquis tension almost entirely by the end of Season 1. It comes up a couple of times later, but it's usually some instance of characters being under mind control.

Early on they have episodes where they at least try and make it seem like they have some desperate situations, but once you get past 'Year of Hell', that also gets dropped pretty significantly in favor of 'alien of the week' episodes like what TNG had.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its a missed opportunity that we haven't really seen what a Klingon Empire engineer is like.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also, I posted ages ago about how late Voyager seemed to be introducing a replacement for the Kaizon (the species who had been in hiding and secretly had a subspace warp tunnel network) and I looked forward to seeing them again and someone laughed at my post about but didn't want to spoil anything for me.

Yeah those aliens never came back and the only reference to them ever again is that one of their ships is caught in the gravity anomaly, but the crew are never shown to be that species. Just completely dropped that narrative completely.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

They should have made Harry the 8472 version of Locutus if they were gonna kill him off.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
As soon as VOY came up with an excuse to keep the holodeck running despite their desperate situation, it was pretty clear that they weren't going to go anywhere interesting with the premise but just recycle all the TNG scripts that hadn't been good enough to make it into season seven, which was already a step down from the higher quality of the middle years. It's a drat shame too because a Voyager that forced itself to come up with new scripts, even limited as it was in our timeline not to have the long-running continuity of DS9, would certainly have found a voice for its characters instead of languishing with a bunch of wooden stereotypes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Would 100% be on board for Counselor Worf
"To hide from your feelings is cowardice!"
"If Jenny from Engineering continues to make passive aggressive comments then you must FIND HER AND KILL HER"

Hell it feels like most of Troi's time on the bridge is saying how aggressive alien of the week is being, Worf can easily do that too.

Worf would rock those plunging V-neck catsuits, too

Worf leading his mok'bara class: "A warrior must be prepared to fight in any attire, even skintight lycra and high heels"

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 26, 2024

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Personally speaking I'm quite happy with the TNG we got and don't want to change anything :shobon:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've said before that while I've seen TNG in passing, and obviously I've seen the big episodes like Best of Both Worlds and All Good Things, but I've never done a proper watch. As I'm nearly done with Enterprise, I plan to binge through Discovery to catch up with with season 5 as it wraps up. Then, I'm finally going to do a proper TNG watch. I am very excited to see consistently good Trek (after season 1...) week after week.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've said before that while I've seen TNG in passing, and obviously I've seen the big episodes like Best of Both Worlds and All Good Things, but I've never done a proper watch. As I'm nearly done with Enterprise, I plan to binge through Discovery to catch up with with season 5 as it wraps up. Then, I'm finally going to do a proper TNG watch. I am very excited to see consistently good Trek (after season 1...) week after week.

To be honest, I think TNG really only bats about .500. Even past season one there are some really bad episodes (though most are just average). It's just the good ones are so good that they carried the franchise for years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also, I posted ages ago about how late Voyager seemed to be introducing a replacement for the Kaizon (the species who had been in hiding and secretly had a subspace warp tunnel network) and I looked forward to seeing them again and someone laughed at my post about but didn't want to spoil anything for me.

Yeah those aliens never came back and the only reference to them ever again is that one of their ships is caught in the gravity anomaly, but the crew are never shown to be that species. Just completely dropped that narrative completely.

The Kazon are the idiots with bad hair, the subspace tunnel guys are thr Vaadwaur and get a whole arc in the mmo, where they are controlled by the bugs from conspiracy

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Tunicate posted:

The Kazon are the idiots with bad hair, the subspace tunnel guys are thr Vaadwaur and get a whole arc in the mmo, where they are controlled by the bugs from conspiracy

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. The Kazon disappeared save for the odd like time travel episode or whatever, and then the Vaadwaur are introduced late in the series and it seemed like they would be the new baddies, but they just disappeared completely from the show after that one appearance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If anything replaced the Kazon it would be the Hirogen.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 26, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eason the Fifth posted:

To be honest, I think TNG really only bats about .500. Even past season one there are some really bad episodes (though most are just average). It's just the good ones are so good that they carried the franchise for years.

Sounds about right. I'd say DS9 is the only series that is consistently good. Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds are making a go at it but unfair to judge until they're finished.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Really, there aren't that many TNG episidoes that are actually bad. Yes, the show could be hit-or-miss at times, but even the misses don't usually fall much below "perfectly okay".

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

If anything replaced the Kazon it would be the Hirogen.
The Hirogen were the most interesting race Voyager introduced (other than the Vidiians), even if they were kind of just Tall Klingons. Better than Dirty Klingons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Really, there aren't that many TNG episidoes that are actually bad. Yes, the show could be hit-or-miss at times, but even the misses don't usually fall much below "perfectly okay".

Most of TNG's clunkers are also confined to the opposite ends of its run, at the very start when Gene was still alive and/or dying and being a shithead the whole time, or at the very end when everyone just loving done with this poo poo and moving onto DS9, Voyager and the movies.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TNG isn't bad, my thinking is just imagine you're going to press a button and have to watch a random episode from TNG or DS9. I think the DS9 button has a significantly higher chance of being a good episode instead of a whatever episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
DS9 has always been my favorite, but I feel the exact opposite way.

TNG, once it hit its stride, is very consistent. Some episodes are better than others of course, but I can't think of any real stinkers beyond Season 3.

DS9 on the other hand, god love it, it's got some of the best episodes of Trek period, but when it has a bad episode, it has a really bad episode. Higher highs and the lowest of lows too.
Melora, Meridian, that episode where Quark yells at his mom and cross dresses, the episode where Worf becomes a terrorist cause his GF is horny. Oof.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Random TNG episodes are starting to lose some of their shine, but that's only because I have seen them all like 10 times each in the past 10 years. Season 1 and some of season 2 has a strange vibe to them because of the dated scripts and Roddenberry meddling, but only a select few of them are straight up bad. On the other end of the show you have some pretty boring scripts carried by seasoned actors and well-liked characters. It's still really good TV and if you've not watched TNG to death you'll probably enjoy it a lot.

Only the very best DS9 episodes can stand shoulder to shoulder with what TNG achieved from season 3 through 5.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, very few TNG episodes will have you yelling "what the gently caress" at your TV, but it's also possible to enter a TNG fugue state where the technobabble and soothing beige carpet just wash over you.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

counterfeitsaint posted:

DS9 has always been my favorite, but I feel the exact opposite way.

TNG, once it hit its stride, is very consistent. Some episodes are better than others of course, but I can't think of any real stinkers beyond Season 3.

DS9 on the other hand, god love it, it's got some of the best episodes of Trek period, but when it has a bad episode, it has a really bad episode. Higher highs and the lowest of lows too.
Melora, Meridian, that episode where Quark yells at his mom and cross dresses, the episode where Worf becomes a terrorist cause his GF is horny. Oof.

And then there's the mirror universe episodes which are the same awful episode but done once a season for some reason.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They're good

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TNG is massively a product of its time. It comes off better when watched at semi-random with the handful of truly bad episodes filtered out, as was the case in the syndication days. It sets a good baseline and once in a while something big happens, and when it does, it actually feels big. But when the crazy sci-fi concept of the week just isn't very interesting, the characters aren't quite deep enough to carry it the way they could on DS9.

I'm not saying don't watch it all, of course. Just give yourself permission to watch about a third of them while folding laundry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It bears mentioning that early TNG is over 30 years old at this point (yes, we're old). It's about as old now as TOS was when we were growing up in the 1990s.