Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Pro-Wrestling Champion for June, 2023?
This poll is closed.
:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) 13 19.12%
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 24 35.29%
:ussr: SANADA (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 8 11.76%
:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) 5 7.35%
Steve Maclin (FORMER Impact World Champion) 0 0%
Alex Shelley (Impact World Champion) 6 8.82%
Asuka (WWE Women's Champion) 3 4.41%
Yuji Nagata (Triple Crown Champion) 2 2.94%
:gaz: Deonna Purrazzo (Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
Hagane Shinnou (Super Asia Champion) 1 1.47%
:viconia: Jake Lee (GHC Champion) 1 1.47%
Masha Slamovich (FORMER GCW Champion) 0 0%
Blake Christian (GCW Champion) 0 0%
:science: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) 1 1.47%
:sadday:None of the Above 4 5.88%
Total: 68 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Due in part (or perhaps, entirely!?!) to Sandman McMahon's blatant disregard for civic duty, we had a pathetically low turnout for votes in May, but were still left with a winner. Returning to the winner's circle for the second time in three months, MJF's victory over the other 3 of the "Four Pillars" of AEW saw him unthrone April's winner SANADA who fell to third place behind ROH's Athena, who is consistently in the top vote getters each month but has never managed to win the whole thing. I guess that's because MJF was better than them, and we all knew it.... for May at least, who knows what this month may bring? For the year so far, New Japan is beating AEW 3 months to 2, can another promotion or another champion step up to the plate in June?

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Madoka Kikuta (Dragongate), Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's), Mizuki (TJPW), Roman Reigns (WWE), T-Hawk (GLEAT), Tam Nakano (Stardom) and Yuji Hino (DDT) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. Roman still hasn't defended his belt since Wrestlemania, but he HAD to keep the belt for the STORY because him winning and passing 1000 days as champion was the ONLY way it was possible to tell a story about his stable cracking apart and people questioning his leadership, which is what people frequently do when their leader is seeing nothing but success after success after success to a historical level that surpasses all but some of the biggest lends in wrestling, that's just good writing! (to be fair, WWE is loving raking in the money and big viewership, so what the gently caress do I know!?!). The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) - After surviving an incredible time limit draw against Adam Cole in a title match eliminator (i.e, fighting to get a shot at the title), MJF was quick to take the chance to escape and not potentially put his title on the line against a wrestler who was far from the washed-up shadow of his former self MJF had been proclaiming him to be. The two couldn't escape each other that easily however, put together into a "Blind" Tag Tournament, with MJF taking a shift into his usual "pretend to be friends" routine that Adam Cole is entirely aware of and openly laughing at while playing along. But in terms of ACTUAL title defenses? MJF faced New Japan legend Hiroshi Tanahashi at the joint AEW/New Japan Forbidden Door show, and here the accusations of his opponent not being what he used to be were sadly true.... but it didn't stop the Ace from still giving MJF a couple of close calls and even one of those "visual pinfalls" that people like to pretend actually matter (they do in this case because Tanahashi was cheated! :byodame:). MJF spend the build to and even the early part of the match mocking Tanahashi and his bad knees, only for it to - of course - bite him in the rear end when he tweaked his own knee and Tanahashi focused in on loving it up some more. MJF managed to pull out the win and has now returned his sights to trying to undermine Adam Cole. It's been a very entertaining month with the AEW Champion, even if technically there was only the one actual title match... it's up to you (yes, YOU!) to decide if that gets him your vote or not.

:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) - Athena is still brutalizing her way through ROH, but she had arguably her toughest defense yet against, of all people, Kiera Hogan! The two went toe-to-toe in a Chicago Street Fight at the United Center towards the end of the month in a match that had people raving... but it was Athena who came out of the match the winner and STILL the ROH Women's Champion.

:ussr: SANADA (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - SANADA survived one hell of a scare at the start of June when the returning Yota Tsuji made it very, very, very clear that he was no longer a "Young Boy" and was back to TAKE a spot in Los Ingobernables de Japon AND he also intended to take the World Title in his first match back. One hell of a spear made people believe for just a second they were about to see a modern variation of the Rainmaker Shock, but SANADA managed to survive, fight back and eventually defeat Tsuji (and somewhat derail his LIJ plans, as they immediately walked out on him, though they've wrestled together since). SANADA's indignities weren't over though, as his title defense at the highly anticipated joint AEW/New Japan Forbidden Door show ended up being against Jungle Boy. SANADA grumbled that Jungle Boy was a no-name, which irritated Jungle Boy who had been slowly developing a real chip on his shoulder. Jungle Boy ended up putting in a drat good effort (and an even better one in the match against SANADA's Just 5 Guys stablemate DOUKI on Rampage two nights earlier) but he couldn't fight the inevitable, with SANADA getting a clean win and shifting his attention to the upcoming G1 Tournament, where future title matches are set-up but no actual title defenses happen. So this may be your last chance to vote for SANADA for awhile!

:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) - Claudio had been busy, busy, busy in June for all kinds of things including his first ever trip to New Japan (which ruled), his continued high profile presence in the Blackpool Combat Club reaching a peak at the end of the month when his heated rivalry with Eddie Kingston fired back into life, his part in the brutal feud with The Elite etc. His ROH Title defenses had kind of fallen by the wayside though, and he made up for that big time right at the end of the month when, on AEW Rampage, he European Uppercutted a flying Komander to death in a title defense to open the show. The match was immediately called off, Claudio stood tall (and he's VERY tall) and left no doubts that he hadn't just beaten his challenger, he'd destroyed him. Why, it would take some kind of mad poo poo-talking, grudge-holding lunatic from Yonkers to stand against him!

Steve Maclin (FORMER Impact World Champion) - Maclin's attempts to prove the legitimacy of a title he won without ever defeating former champion Josh Alexander were derailed when he went into Against All Odds against Alex Shelley and.... well, I hope you didn't bet on him to win (or bet on pro-wresting! Ever!).

Alex Shelley (Impact World Champion) - Could he win the world title, Alex Shelley was asked. "Yup," he replied. Did he win the world title? Yup.

Asuka (WWE Women's Champion) - After sanity finally prevailed and the Raw Women's Championship was renamed to the WWE Women's Championship (the Smackdown title is now only slightly less confusingly called The Women's WORLD Championship). Asuka had won it from Bianca Belair when it was the Raw title, with the latter expecting to get the first title shot only for Charlotte Flair to do what Charlottle Flair does and just immediately slam not just to the front of the line but be pissed off about having to be in the line at all. At the O2 Arena in London at the end of the month, Flair and Asuka's title match ended by DQ in less than 8 minutes when Bianca Belair got involved.

Yuji Nagata (Triple Crown Champion) - It was a good month for Nagata, who celebrated "Blue Justice XII" in Sakura, Chiba in front of an extremely enthusiastic crowd for a New Japan show, bringing in wrestlers from All Japan to compete he and other New Japan wrestlers. Only the night before he'd defended his Triple Crown Title against Yuma Anzai for All Japan, successfully straddling two promotions and even bringing them together for a show outside of the big "All Together Again" show between NOAH, New Japan and All Japan. Not many wrestlers can pull something like that off, but then there's a reason why people don't groan to hear about a 55-year-old holding the Triple Crown while over in NOAH the running joke (apart from Kaito Kiyomiya's booking) is how the favor old wrestlers over young talent. Because Nagata can still go, he's believable, and he's got a long history of working with young talent to help improve them. In short, Nagata rules!

:gaz: Deonna Purrazzo (Impact Knockouts Champion) - Purrazzo may have put her biggest rival in her rear view mirror, but there is no shortage of people who want her title in the future. Across two nights for Impact's Summer Sizzler, Purrazzo defeated first Taylor Wilde and then Jody Threat to retain her title.

Hagane Shinnou (Super Asia Champion) - Forgoing the usual lengthy time between title defenses, less than two weeks after his retention of the title against former champions Baliyan Akki and Minoru Fujita, Shinnou successfully defended his title against Chie Koishikawa. Will there be another defense in July, or does the normal Super Asia Hibernation period begin again?

:viconia: Jake Lee (GHC Champion) - Continuing the Jake Lee Legitimacy Tour to prove the former All Japan Wrestler belongs in NOAH, in June Lee added Takashi Sugiura to the list of NOAH's top dogs he has beaten: Katsuhiko Nakajima, Naomichi Marufuji, and of course the immensely talented but haplessly booked Kaito Kiyomiya to win the title in the first place. That hasn't been enough for Lee though, who after beating Sugiura proclaimed he intended to enter the N1 Tournament and go through it undefeated as Champion, and really put downh his stamp as not just belonging in NOAH, but dominating it.

Masha Slamovich (FORMER GCW Champion) - Slamovich's heavy run of title defenses finally came to an end when she defended her title in a Triple Threat Cage of Survival match against Rina Yamashita and Blake Christian. While her title reign only lasted 3 months, she fit in 8 title defenses in that time against some impressive names. But all good things must come to an end.

Blake Christian (GCW Champion) - Picking up where the former champ left off, Blake Christian has also been busy, with three title defenses since winning the title.... all of them within 3 days! Defeating Gringo Loco at Ride or Die, Adam Priest at Mastermind and then Brandon Williams at GCW vs. New South 2, Christian isn't rest on his laurels either.

:science: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) - Promising to "slap the tits off" any challengers who come calling, Toni Storm defended her title successfully against NJPW Strong Women's Champion Willow Nightingale at the AEW/New Japan Forbidden Door PPV. Proclaiming that she can and will defeat anybody who comes after her, unapologetic about her newfound bad (and cheating) attitude since teaming up with Saraya and Ruby Soho as The Outcasts, she put out a warning to Stardom's Giulia that she doesn't respect or care about her challenge for the title and she plans to put her down like anybody else if she shows up to take a shot at what is now and Toni clearly thinks always should have been HER title.

:sadday:None of the Above - If you think it is a Sad Day for wrestling if these are the champions on offer this month, or you just want to see the results of the poll without performing the sin of "choosing", then None of the Above is the option for you!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Voting for Athena will continue.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the yota tsuji defense was insane, if it weren't for that athena would have gotten my vote with her street fight.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Dear J-Ru

I voted!!!

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I voted for Claudio Castagnoli because he’s tall and bald and drinks lots of coffee

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sandman McMahon posted:

Dear J-Ru

I voted!!!

:patriot:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Athena

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Baby Bear is now Papa Bear!!!!!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Vote for Handsome Sanada. The Tsuji match ruled and the Jungle Jack match was also pretty good

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jake Lee

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has to be MJF!!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pinwiz11 posted:

Voting for Athena will continue.

The voting for Athena will continue until morale improves :hai:

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

this

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm just going off who I have enjoyed most as champion, and Athena is head and shoulders above every champion in every company by that measure. She is SO good.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Voted none of the above because I have not seen enough of these and those I have I didn't feel impressed by. The funny thing the last month wrestling was great for championships except its all been mid-card belts having awesome runs. Athena's going to win though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Less than a day in and we already have 2/3rds of the votes we got last month (this would be more impressive if last month's vote total hadn't been so pathetic), and it really does look like Athena is finally going to get the win after months of being in the top 3! But there are still 4 days to go, don't forget to vote!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I like Asuka. She is charming and lovely and wholesome and it was funny, cool, and relatable when she struggled to put together a chair on youtube. She is also an entertaining wrestler.

But this vote is mainly for the chair. THE CHAIR!!!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

where is the historical champions of the month jru

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'v voted. +1

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

BrigadierSensible posted:

I like Asuka. She is charming and lovely and wholesome and it was funny, cool, and relatable when she struggled to put together a chair on youtube. She is also an entertaining wrestler.

But this vote is mainly for the chair. THE CHAIR!!!

bartok
May 10, 2006

How do I vote for the Orange Cassidy?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bartok posted:

Coward Jerusalem does not accept that the International title covers all nations and thus the world.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
:angel:It's finally Athena's month:angel:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Coward Jerusalem does not accept that the International title covers all nations and thus the world.

Not the oceans.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Not the oceans.

Atlantis is a sovereign nation. :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Atlantis is a sovereign nation. :colbert:

No, it's a guy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Less than 2 days in and we're within a handful of votes of beating last month's pathetic total already, hooray! 3 days left to vote!

bartok posted:

Eddie Kingston beats MJF, Switchblade Jay White beats Eddie Kingston, Orange Cassidy beats Switchblade Jay White.

How long that timeline takes to play out ain't on me :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

No, it's a guy.

It can be 2 things!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think its more likely eddie kingston beats claudio for the roh world title in nyc at dynamite grand slam and orange dethrones mjf for the aew world title at winter is coming.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Over 3 days in, less than 2 days to go, and the voting has slowed right down and we haven't even beaten last month's pathetic total. Don't let yourselves down, don't let your parents down, vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

With a day to go we have only just now matched last month's dogshit pile of crap total, please don't let it end like this :negative:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Blue Justice

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Please vote! Time is almost up and we're currently on the evil number 66, and if that remains then... well, nothing will happen at all.... but vote anyway!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well, despite the heroic efforts of champions of democracy like Sandman McMahon, it was another depressingly low turnout of votes that left us one short of a childish sex joke! But forget all about that, because the New Japan and AEW deadlock has finally (kinda) been broken: Athena wins at last! After multiple 2nd and 3rd place finishes, there was no denying Athena's ascendancy, and the ROH Women's Champion finally got her long overdue victory. MJF and SANADA took the 2nd and 3rd places respectively, but for now and always, June of 2023 belongs to Athena!

Please vote next month :smith:

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Give us what we want, J-Ru. OC as champion of the month. And it's not just for AEW. Gunther should be an option, too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kvantum posted:

Give us what we want, J-Ru. OC as champion of the month. And it's not just for AEW. Gunther should be an option, too.

No

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I already do Tag-Team Champions of the month, I'm not doing a Mid-Card Champion of the month.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i only want blue justice

bartok
May 10, 2006

Athena finally won!!! I guess that makes up for not having OC as an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kvantum posted:

bartok posted:

Athena finally won!!! I guess that makes up for not having OC as an option.

Hey, that's on Tony Khan, that's why they pay himhe was born with the big bucks! (not Matt and Nick)