Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:
:siren:THIS GAME IS SUPER GORY, DON'T WATCH IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO THAT.:siren:

Leon S. Kennedy is back, following his short stint as a cop in Raccoon City during the zombie infestation of 1998! In the years since, Leon has been recruited into the US Secret Service, undergoing rigorous training as an elite agent that answers directly to the President of the United States. Leon's latest mission? Rescue the kidnapped daughter of the President, who was last spotted in Spain Rural Europe.

2005's 4 Resident Evil is quite possibly the most influential title in Capcom's Resident Evil franchise. The game not only revitalized a series that was looking like it was on its way out, it also reinvented itself as a straight action-horror title, providing some of the tightest third-person shooter gameplay ever released up to that point. RE4 more or less wrote the book on modern third-person shooter gameplay, providing a solid foundation that is still rock solid, even today. Despite being almost 20 years old at the time of this writing, the gameplay is still so good that for years, the very idea that 4 Resident Evil would get a remake was a very divisive topic. And then it happened.

Rebuilt from the ground up in the RE Engine, Resident Evil 4 is a modernization of the original title that updates the game for more modern sensibilities. Capcom's RE team has never been one to just throw on a fresh coat of paint and call it a day when it comes to their remakes, however, so they've remixed the content quite a bit so returning players can't just coast on their knowledge of the original game.

This will be an informative LP where I show off whether or not Leon S. Kennedy is a bad enough dude to rescue the president's daughter. We will primarily be looking at the Remake for this LP, with some supplemental footage from the Switch port of the original game where appropriate. For this trip through rural Europe, I am joined by liquidypoo and theenglishman. Updates should be twice a week, but no promises. Just like the other Resident Evil games made in the RE Engine, this game is incredibly gruesome and isn’t afraid to remind you of that! If you’re sensitive to extreme blood and gore, it might be best not to watch the videos, maybe just listen to them in the background. This also bears repeating, :siren:NO SPOILERS:siren:. The original game may be an all time classic, but it was also almost two decades ago so please respect that some people may be coming into this game with a fresh perspective!

Main Campaign
Chapter 01

Chapter 02

Chapter 03

Chapter 04

Chapter 05

Chapter 06

Chapter 07

Chapter 08

Chapter 09

Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

Chapter 15

Chapter 16

Separate Ways
Chapter 01

Chapter 02

Chapter 03

Chapter 04

Chapter 05

Chapter 06

Chapter 07

The Mercenaries

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fan Stuff

CzarChasm's got a stash of some local delicacies.

CzarChasm posted:

Ramon base is from Annausagi on Deviant Art. I can't promise there's not some X-rated stuff there.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 1, 2023

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I was wondering how long it would be until you lot got to this game. I'm excited

I vaguely recall something about how Capcom turned up the horny for the remake, or am I making that up?

e: Was Leon so Platinum in either the original RE4 or the 2 remake

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 11, 2023

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I'm gonna say that it's the lighting doing something weird to Leon's hair. It'll probably start to look more normal as we lose daylight in-game

You'd think I'd remember, being one of the three dinguses in the videos, but, uhhh

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I will say though, Leon's hair looks a lot more brown in your avatar, liquidy. :v:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I love how this game uses the old Spanish peseta as currency and pretends that, say, 1000 pesetas is not an insignificant amount. In reality the peseta had been phased out for the euro from 1999 to 2002 and was worth roughly 200 Pts per $1 US. The effect on the narrative is that Leon is just constantly rifling through the pockets of Spanish peasants for their spare change, and he can only spend it out here because any place that isn't the backwoods will laugh at him.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh sweet, I played through the game three times in a row and watched an LP of it and I'm ready for more, it's just that good!

NGDBSS posted:

I love how this game uses the old Spanish peseta as currency and pretends that, say, 1000 pesetas is not an insignificant amount. In reality the peseta had been phased out for the euro from 1999 to 2002 and was worth roughly 200 Pts per $1 US. The effect on the narrative is that Leon is just constantly rifling through the pockets of Spanish peasants for their spare change, and he can only spend it out here because any place that isn't the backwoods will laugh at him.

That's funny, it's been long enough that I forgot that was a real currency and assumed the gamedevs just made the name up to sound close to something real. Second biggest RE4 revelation after the moment I found out spinels exist in real life :v:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh sweet, I played through the game three times in a row and watched an LP of it and I'm ready for more, it's just that good!

That's funny, it's been long enough that I forgot that was a real currency and assumed the gamedevs just made the name up to sound close to something real. Second biggest RE4 revelation after the moment I found out spinels exist in real life :v:
My mother found a 100 Pts note in my sister's old bedroom, turns out she'd collected a bunch of weird currency over the years. I ended up passing it along to some goons I knew who would get a kick out of gaming history.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Must...resist the urge... to quote Max0r incorrect summary of RE4...

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, in real life Spain switched from the peseta to the Euro in 2002, so it makes sense that a small, rural town like this would still be using the old currency even two years later.

And maybe peseta sounds made-up because Mexico's currency is the peso.

The currency in RE5 is real as well (₦, the Nigerian naira).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Leon's tips for proper phone usage:

"Hey, I think I found the president's daughter." - good, good. Concise, informative, professional.

"Attacked by a zombie" - unimportant, irrelevant. Better not bother anyone with.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just wanted to point out the guy throwing the axe hits his friend who put down the bear trap in the back of the head.

But he gets justice a few seconds later, when axe guy steps in the bear trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teEFGLfHako&t=1660s

I will never tire of enemies hurting each other.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 11, 2023

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just wanted to point out the guy throwing the axe hits his friend who put down the bear trap in the back of the head.

That's incredible, I stared at the dude getting caught in a bear trap in editing because I couldn't believe I actually got footage of that but I didn't realize that the whole sequence of events was just ripped from Looney Tunes. :allears:

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A shame Leon ran off before they could go full three stooges. Sad.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I never heard that they were originally gonna leave out the bingo line! I can't even imagine the amount of internet outrage they would've gotten even if everything else about the game was the exact same, that just seems like a choice you don't want to make.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I should probably source my info, huh? :v:

Here's Nick Apostolides responding to some comments on IGN about RE4, timestamped to his anecdote about the Bingo line. Mild spoilers abound with some of his responses in the rest of the video!
https://youtu.be/eIcKsSC-EUQ?t=125

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I wondered about the cop at the beginning, if you could shoot torch guy. Not surprising.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Yay, more ChaosArgate/RE goodness!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah sweet, OG RE4 stuff too. This'll be neat, I haven't gone back to it since the remake came out. For the record, I eventually took the coward's way out and decided that I could live with them sharing a dual spot for my favorite in the franchise. That's quite a compliment for the remake, it doesn't hit everything I like from the original, but it's so massively fun that it's also way up top.

e: as much as I loved inventory tetris, I shamefully admit to using the autosort button too much now. Hats off to whoever got to design that algorithm, in their own way they're the greatest inventory tetriser who ever lived 🫡

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 14, 2023

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

e: as much as I loved inventory tetris, I shamefully admit to using the autosort button too much now. Hats off to whoever got to design that algorithm, in their own way they're the greatest inventory tetriser who ever lived 🫡

YES THANK YOU SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I had decided on giving it a rest, but it seems I gotta ramp up the accusations of coward button usage to full force :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

This is an auto-sort-safe zone. :colbert:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

I had decided on giving it a rest, but it seems I gotta ramp up the accusations of coward button usage to full force :v:
Excuse me, the valor button.

Douglas Adams posted:

Zaphod did not want to tangle with them and, deciding that just as discretion is the better part of valor, so was cowardice is the better part of discretion, he valiantly hid himself in a closet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ah sweet, OG RE4 stuff too. This'll be neat, I haven't gone back to it since the remake came out. For the record, I eventually took the coward's way out and decided that I could live with them sharing a dual spot for my favorite in the franchise. That's quite a compliment for the remake, it doesn't hit everything I like from the original, but it's so massively fun that it's also way up top.

My take is that some of the stuff they were trying to add they did really well (the horror of that sacrifice in the opening for example) but in pursuing that they had to lose some of the silliness that was why I fell in love with the original. You still get some moments but in the original it felt like everyone was varying levels of in on the joke. It's kinda fascinating how some subtle differences in line reads can change a tone.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bruceski posted:

My take is that some of the stuff they were trying to add they did really well (the horror of that sacrifice in the opening for example) but in pursuing that they had to lose some of the silliness that was why I fell in love with the original. You still get some moments but in the original it felt like everyone was varying levels of in on the joke. It's kinda fascinating how some subtle differences in line reads can change a tone.

Yeah, that was one of my general criticisms. It's still very funny a lot of the time, but it does have an overall tone shift for the story, and it loses a lot of the silly charm in ditching most of the codec repartee with the villains. But at the same time, it's so drat fun to play that I can't be too harsh on it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I know he's carrying an axe, but since the boards are on top of the trapdoor my read on that guy has always been that he'd been nailing them down rather than trying to break in.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Glad to hear this is going to be a suplex heavy playthrough.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bruceski posted:

I know he's carrying an axe, but since the boards are on top of the trapdoor my read on that guy has always been that he'd been nailing them down rather than trying to break in.

That was my read too. I mean what's the story otherwise? Luis jimmied the trapdoor shut, then tied himself up, then taped his mouth, then stuffed himself in a burlap sack? To avoid getting got?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It's Peridot, Spinel, Sardonyz birthstones for August. I don't know why there are several.

You just got a spider injection. Now your body will explode into spiders.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I don't mind the auto sort, it's a useful button and a good addition. But, saying that, I didn't actually use it myself. It does a very good job at fitting everything in, but the way it mixes up all your items? It's like the button just jiggles the case around until everything settles to one side, no rhyme. reason or organization. That's how you end up overlooking critical supplies. I died twice cause auto sort messed up my organization, and I thought I was out of heals when I needed it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

That was my read too. I mean what's the story otherwise? Luis jimmied the trapdoor shut, then tied himself up, then taped his mouth, then stuffed himself in a burlap sack? To avoid getting got?

The other read I see for it is he was sealed in there, but Big Guy is coming so they were getting access.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The DLC map treasures are absolutely not there without it. I don't have it, I have looked directly at spots people with it have found stuff, nothing there.

Also apparently the amount of max health added for a yellow herb depends on the healing items it's mixed with (GY<GGY<GRY) but the difference is tiny so I don't know why they bothered.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is so much hatred towards hats in these remakes.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is so much hatred towards hats in these remakes.

These remakes are to hats what RE7 and 8 are to Ethan’s hands.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

liquidypoo posted:

I'm gonna say that it's the lighting doing something weird to Leon's hair. It'll probably start to look more normal as we lose daylight in-game
This is specifically an issue with the hair strands option, which causes Leon's luxurious locks to be lit incorrectly at times. The default hair is a little bit less dynamic but tends to look better to my eye, and you also save a few frames per second because even the power of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X can't handle the full might of Leon S. Kennedy's hair.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It may have taken me three runs to notice, but I'm still salty about the switch from full heals to a fixed recovery amount for the big herb combinations :arghfist::smith:

No, it doesn't actually affect that much, since it still gets you 90% of the way there. But that sort of feels worse in a way, because it feels like a "why bother, then?" kind of change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

NGDBSS posted:

There was a whole thing during the introduction of the Euro where a bunch of economies ended up getting a pretty significant boost from the change.

Because every farmer who'd been hoarding cash in their mattresses for years suddenly had reason to come out spend it.