Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Leon's looking surprisingly nervous at the end for someone who's just wiped out several small villages worth of people, a fish the size of a bus, and a cow-eating toddler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did they turn up the frequency of head whips? It was like half the enemies.

The original cabin sequence had a runner whose job is to run around the cabin the whole time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The small key you missed was all the way back when you got the hexagonal emblem after the first merchant. There's an alcove that's easy to overlook there and it offsets your entire key supply in the Village where you instead find one and backtrack to the previous drawer.

Yes, I did the same thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I mostly like the Ashley mechanics better in the remake, but the one thing that bugs me is how hand-wavy the "tight"/"loose" commands feel compared to the original. I rarely feel like I have any real control over what she's doing, at least in the original she was either sticking right behind me or parked in a specific spot. Oh well, it still works well enough.

It also took me quite a while to notice that the "stealth" was actually visual-based. It actually didn't jump out to me until later on when I was doing an infinite launcher run, and was somehow going undetected firing explosive grenades all over the place in a particular stealth section, compared to my initial run trying to be all sneaky with knife kills :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Scalding Coffee posted:

ChaosArgate pissed off the RNG gods.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

That section has always been very heavy in them for me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Pour one out for everyone’s favourite Packers fan.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

theenglishman posted:

Pour one out for everyone’s favourite Packers fan.

I'm disappointed to find out that apparently nobody's made this a mod yet.

....but on the other hand, somebody modded this into the game :stonklol:

e: The Mendez fight is neat in both games, but I think it loses some style points in the remake for not showing him transform. That's one of my all time favorite moments - way back when I first played the original, just the tentacle plagas were a level of videogame grotesqueness I'd never seen before, then this guy steps in and takes it to a whole other level I hadn't imagined. I still love that moment every time I replay the game.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 8, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A moment of silence for his hosed up eye.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You showed off how to dodge the beams while saying you didn't know how. Keep to one side and watch what he's throwing. If he grabs/throws them in succession run to the side (don't slow yourself by running toward him), if he grabs both at once stand still.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Scalding Coffee posted:

A moment of silence for his hosed up eye.

Smartest guy in the village, really. One less eye means one less giant weak point to shoot post-mutation. Now that's foresight.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I feel I missed a joke here, but why do you just call the brutes "Pig Men" when almost all of them have the head of a cow/bull?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

They thought he looked like Piggsy from Manhunt (who wears a pig mask and nothing else, so maybe don't google him at work) but I prefer to call him Mantaur:

Half man, half minotaur. Yes, I know that doesn't make any sense. Blame Vince McMahon, it was his idea.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Truthfully, it looked like a boar head to me so I just kinda stuck with that. It's not any easier figuring out what kinda head he has during the commentary sessions too, with the really low quality encodes. That footnote I edited when we first saw one was made well after we recorded the village chapters, so presumably if we ever see them again, I'll remember their actual name. :v:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I mean, technically we are all half man half Minotaur.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
The big dude is referred to as a "Brute" and there are 2 versions, the melee fighter here has a bulls head. Later there's one with a Boars head, who replaces an Older RE4 enemy that kinda broke the rules about the Plagas. Elaborating would be spoilers I think.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm really liking Ashley better in this version than I did in the original. As a character, I mean. I dunno, she just feels like more of a person.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the setpiece changes giving her agency have definitely been nice!

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

azren posted:

I'm really liking Ashley better in this version than I did in the original. As a character, I mean. I dunno, she just feels like more of a person.

The Remake making Ashley someone who's way more likable and mature and has a lot more agency is one of the best things about it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
In the video you asked about what triggers Ashley to leave the lockers, and I think it's proximity. You left through the gate, and I think that's far enough away she decided to leave. I watched another LP where they did the same thing much sooner into the fight with the sisters, and Ashley got nabbed almost immediately.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I like her hesitation getting into the locker for the first time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can imagine the Garrador loved his claws so much, he refused to take them off ever and they had to chain him so he wouldn't break stuff.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Salazar always reminded me of the Mad Magazine mascot.

That ain't it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Watching someone save kidnapped Ashley with a cannon pretty much summarizes why I love LPs of games I've already played multiple times on my own :hellyeah:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
"So this drug can only delay a victim becoming a prisoner in their own increasingly shabby corpse, no doubt eventually dying a hideous death when their parasite bursts from their skull?"
"*group laughter*"

Ah, Resident Evil 'verse, never change.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm a little surprised that after all the times you point a gun barrel directly at the audience, I'm pretty sure you never examine Mendez's fake eye and have it stare everyone down.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The main thing to know about the early cannon trick is that it does spawn a few more enemies and since you don't do half the loop you don't get a good angle on some of the catapults so you either need to know the spots or aim under fire.

You can also raise it from up where the cannon is (just don't drop down) and then everyone who spoawns is running at you along a narrow path while you have a cannon. I think my record is three with one shot.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Something quick I want to point out that we missed while recording this episode in particular: there's a barely visible celebratory fist pump from Ashley after getting a headshot! Timestamp is 15:34, only her fist pops into frame. Like Argate said in part 9, it's much harder to see the fist pumps in RE4Make :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It sure seems like they are trying to be their own thing and remembering why RE4 is loved by everyone in the first place.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Scalding Coffee posted:

It sure seems like they are trying to be their own thing and remembering why RE4 is loved by everyone in the first place.

That's better than a 1:1 remake since its not like RE4 original has been delisted so doing a new spin on a familiar setting can work if the proper care is taken.

We all know why RE3 didn't live up to the hype but what was there was pretty cool.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Ramón is channelling Londo Mollari big time. Right down to the "Mr Garibaldi"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just wanted to add that I was the kid who got confused by Sauron/Saruman when I first read the books. Aruman would have helped immensely.

There were so many names to remember I just started glossing over them all. So when Saruman did the big face turn and everyone was shocked, it confused the hell out of me because I thought everyone knew he was evil.

To be fair though, I was probably about 8 or 9.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There were so many names to remember I just started glossing over them all. So when Saruman did the big face turn and everyone was shocked, it confused the hell out of me because I thought everyone knew he was evil.
I think you mean heel turn. Face turn would mean he was turning babyface, i.e. good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
lol, yeah. That was originally "about face" but I edited the post and didn't fix it up properly.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not sure if you mentioned it, but there are enemies in both versions with glowing eyes and those are the dangerous ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
How is Ashley even more useless than Sherry?