Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The annual G1 Climax begins this weekend, and for the first time this decade crowds will be allowed to cheer normally. This is a great time to jump into New Japan for those who avoided it during major pandemic restrictions for justifiable reasons. It's a four block format just like last year, and while there are some weaknesses to that format this is a far more interesting field than last year's. The Reiwa 3 Muskateers and Bullet Club War Dogs provide some much needed home grown new blood and there's two huge name compelling special guests in Eddie Kingston and Kaito Kiyomiya.

There are two major changes this year:

1. Top two wrestlers from each block will advance creating a 8 man knockout tournament to decide the winner
2. All Block matches will have a 20 minute time limit instead of the conventional 30.
As noted in the title all shows are on New Japan World and included in the subscription, which sadly i felt needed to point out as they've ran far too many PPVs as of late.

Official New Japan previews:

A Block
B Block
C Block
D Block

full card is out now! nothing earth shattering but it's not unusual for a somewhat important angle to happen on a finals undercard.

finals tomorrow at a fairly reasonable time for north america.

G1 Climax 33
August 13th at 2:00 EDT/7:00 BST/15:00 JST
Ryogoku Koukugukan

Toru Yano and Oskar Leube vs. Kaito Kiyomya and Ryohei Oiwa
Nagata, Honma, Umino, and Wato vs. Strong Style and Nakashima
Tana, Ishii, Kington, and YOH vs. Makabe, TenCozy, and TMIV
Bishamon, Taguchi, and Oleg vs. TMDK (ZSJ, Haste, Nicholls, and Fujita)
G.o.D (Tama, Tanga, Hikuleo, and Jado) + El-P vs. Bullet Club (Finlay, KENTA, Owens, Coughlin, and Kidd
L.I.J (Shingo, Tsuji, Hiromu, and BUSHI) vs. United Empire (Ospreay, Cobb, O-Khan, and HENARE)
Just Four Guys (SANADA, Taichi, Kanemaru, and DOUKI) vs. House of Torture (EVIL, Yujiro, SHO, and Togo)
G1 Climax 33 Final:Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito

Thauros fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tsuji over takagi final. just kidding. naito over okada

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It's been awhile since I participated in one of these, excited to finally be back.

Idk what the etiquette is for posting predictions these days, I do have a full sheet filled out, but I'm just going to call this result early: SANADA loses to Kiyomiya, but Kiyomiya in turn loses to all 3 Reiwa Musketeers.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Excited for Taichi/Will and to see Kaito get humilated in another promotion!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TriffTshngo posted:

It's been awhile since I participated in one of these, excited to finally be back.

Idk what the etiquette is for posting predictions these days, I do have a full sheet filled out, but I'm just going to call this result early: SANADA loses to Kiyomiya, but Kiyomiya in turn loses to all 3 Reiwa Musketeers.

Post the predictions! Make your shame public! I'm currently filling out my own predictions right now and am very much looking forward to seeing it all fall apart by match drat 1 like it did last year!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TriffTshngo posted:

:justpost: I'm planning on making up a bracket once I do picks for the Princess Cup happening tomorrow as well

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
At a glance I don't see any big deciding matches on the last night of each block, aside from Tana/Naito. I guess with this format they can save big matches for the semi finals which makes the block winners less obvious.

It's going to be a busy month and a bit between this and the Five Star, drat.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

free jiwan

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Post the predictions! Make your shame public! I'm currently filling out my own predictions right now and am very much looking forward to seeing it all fall apart by match drat 1 like it did last year!

SG Bamboo posted:

:justpost: I'm planning on making up a bracket once I do picks for the Princess Cup happening tomorrow as well

You asked for it!!

If I'm wrong even a single time I blame EVIL and DICK for making me not watch for 3 years.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Nice! We've got the same finalists and winner but otherwise a fair bit different. Didn't realise until posting that three of my blocks ended in tiebreakers to decide who's advancing :doh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:sickos:

Yep, going about it in different ways but I've also picked an Okada vs. Ospreay final with Ospreay winning the whole thing.

Man, I know people are a little down on the format this year but the ol' MATHTM magic hit as I was trying to figure out the various permutations for the final nights for each block :allears:

I feel bad about some of the low totals I gave some wrestlers, but also... well, yeah, I didn't buy that they would win the matches they have! :shrug:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Tsuji is going to kill that child

https://twitter.com/CiaranRH93/status/1679373283827896328

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Doing my G1 picks and running into my most hated enemy... The Math :gonk:

SANADA's winning the block, no way is are they putting the champ in second place. I have the 3 Musketeers going 1 win each but Shota takes second on tie-break while Tsuji at least gets a win off SANADA. Lol Kaito.

I can't see Okada shipping a loss here and thanks to the quarter-final format he doesn't have to. It's then a straight shoot between Ospreay and ELP for second with ELP beating Ospreay on the final night to take it.

This block is going to be such a clusterfuck. Finlay's winning it cause he needs the legitimacy but it's going to be tight. There's going to be a ton of people still in the mix come the final matches but Shingo just emerges ahead.

It's way past time that Zack got some real shine in a G1 and this block is set up perfectly for him to take it. Naito will struggle but just sneak into the runner-up spot at the end because that is his way.

Naito's winning it. We all know Naito's winning it. Shota makes the final because they want him to be a big deal fairly quickly. Shingo beats SANADA to set up the fall defence against another LIJ guy. ELP gets his win back over Finlay. Job's a good'un.

Now I can't wait for it to all fall apart on Night 1

Rarity fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 14, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oh god not a Naito/Shooter finals, their last singles match was so rubbish

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I originally had Naito advancing as winner and an Okada/Naito final but there's no way Gedo lets it be that easy for Naito

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
I haven't been paying much attention to NJPW this year, but the G1 is always fun.

Here are my actual predictions:

These were generated randomly:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love seeing how the random picks do! Best of luck, Random El Phantasmo! :)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

There could be way worse finals than that. Props.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Amazed at all the people predicting good things for Kaito

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Amazed at all the people predicting good things for Kaito

Gotta convince him to dump NOAH and come to New Japan somehow! Of course, NOAH might counter by booking him wel..... sorry, I couldn't finish that sentence :laugh:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1679794565891641344?s=20

And this is why we love Ishii

Also Shane Haste with a bold sartorial choice

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1679793684462866439?s=20

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Yoshi Hashi posted:

To be honest, I was very nervous about something today. I didn’t wear a suit. I figured it would be hot, so a sport jacket and tee would be fine. But then I worried, what if everyone would be in suits? I’m glad only Okada is wearing a suit. You look cool.

I love this time of year, having fantastic wrestling every morning when I wake up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Eddie did make it, btw, came in right to say his piece at the podium with his belt... after shittalking Finlay

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CiaranRH93/status/1679866693584027649

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Oh Lord he's shooting

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Here's his whole promo from the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyh_9bQO6mk&t=5290s

Great stuff, this version of Bullet Club grows on me a little more with every performance

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

KENTA's was much better

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The war dogs are great

Can't believe people around here didn't want them in the g1.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

loving incredible that NJPW lets guys say poo poo like this lol. Coughlin is awesome at this, he's gonna be a loving superstar

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
Watched the press conference, KENTA probably won best promo followed closely by ELP. NJPW has a roster of very weird people

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Math is too much for me, but gonna go with my heart and my head for the final 8:

Kaito, SANADA, Okada, Ospreay, Finlay, Eddie, Naito, ZSJ

And I'm gonna go WAY out and suggest we get Kaito vs Naito in the finals, with Naito winning. (I have to assume we're getting a second Okada/Kaito match in the semis, and that only makes sense if Kaito goes over, and Naito's clearly winning the whole thing so he has to win the other side)

I also know Eddie's less likely than Shingo or maybe even Tama or Henare in that block, but let me dream.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 14, 2023

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Seems like Kidd/Coughlin only got added to the G1 because Aussie Open left:

https://twitter.com/KenanFields/status/1679875908960649217

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Seems like Kidd/Coughlin only got added to the G1 because Aussie Open left:

https://twitter.com/KenanFields/status/1679875908960649217

Well, that's an upside to Aussie Open leaving I suppose.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gaz-L posted:

Naito's clearly winning the whole thing

Didn't we all say that last year? And the year before?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Didn't we all say that last year? And the year before?

Yeah, but two of SANADA's 3 defences have been against LIJ. There's a possibility he loses to Shingo in the playoff stage setting up a third defence, which would really neatly lead into Naito facing him at the Dome.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sanada vs naito is definitely happening the only question is whether it's kopw or the dome

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Thauros posted:

sanada vs naito is definitely happening the only question is whether it's kopw or the dome

As much as I picked from my heart, I do think the scenario where SANADA loses to Shingo in the quarters makes a lot of sense. Run it back at KOPW, SANADA beats Shingo, and now he's gone through the heavyweight threats in LIJ... except Naito.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Getting in page 1 to say:

Ain't

Nobody

Realer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Kaito