Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Polluting Collective 10

Meet our new ride. More weight, slightly more pawns. Which is needed because a bunch of nearby sites are having 15+ people in them.

Growth moment for SilentSnack. Extra walk speed is an obvious choice, and I may as well get them passions in combat skills while they're an option.

Hoffman officially joins and he gets a sky steel tox spear that fell in from a cargo pod. Thats right, he will STAB the toxins into our enemies. Also he comes with an impressive 11 plant skill.

Well drat, isn't that nice. Now we have a breeding pair of blizzarisks.

*Fortunate Son intensifies*

There's been a low female psychic drone going on here, but I've been holding off for a bigger copter before taking care of it. This was a clean sweep, prioritized the blaster turret then sensibly chuckled as the inferno turret tried burning the mechs.

I sent Hoffman and Senrath out to a gene lab, Senrath checked the rooms while Hoffman chopped wood (cause we really need it) and take a look at this mixed pack. Cold super-tolerant can be useful (if this global warming ever ended) but check out that chemfuel vomit :barf:

A logging camp that had less than 14 people popped up and what?! I didn't know this could even happen!

Not that it was much of a problem with this solid force of mechs we now have. And look at all that delicious wood! Also we got a prisoner.

Oh god the children are fighting :saddowns:

With the former bunk room I'm gonna convert it so that the top part with the paste dispenser will be the hospital, the middle part will be making hops into wort and then fermenting the wort, with the bottom room being a cold storage for any hops, wort and herbal medication.

Now that we have some hyperweave coming in I can make a few space bodysuits from Rimsenal. Besides being an all around better option for skin layer clothing for defense, it also comes with a massively high insulation for cold, 64 degrees. By comparison, a muffalo wool shirt only gives 13 degrees of cold insulation. Also at some point I found a pistol so NGDB can fight mechs and decided to hand over that masterwork shield from BLT, since they aren't being used in active combat.

This is currently the "best" set up we can do, without getting into power armor, but its not all that defensive when 200% is the max. If only our colonists could get better defenses through genes...

But its such a pain to actually get the genes you want. Well meet the gene ripper, a modded building. Whereas the gene extractor will yank one or more random genes from someone, this will let you directly select which gene you want. So whats the downside?

It kills the occupant. On one hand, that really isn't much of a downside. On the other, with how hard I've been trying to actually capture people (if they even raid me that is) it suddenly becomes an issue if I wanted to say capture 4 neanderthals so I can get robust, strong melee, strong immunity and reduced pain. And thats just getting positive traits, I'll need to figure out what bad traits I need to balance out the metabolic efficiency of whatever xenogerm I want to make.

And really, I've grown to detest randomness. I'd rather have to capture 3 prisoners and kill them to ensure I can say break apart a mixed genepack than scan them once and either wait nearly 2 weeks for their genes to regrow or promptly scan them again to kill them and get a gene I don't want.

Time to get very fast from imps! Since thats pretty much the only gene I want from imps I can implant mixed packs into future imps and yank out the gene I want from the pack.

Er, wow I wasn't expecting that. Food for the animals I guess! Also this doesn't give a "butchered humanlike" debuff.

Beer is in and I set up a fridge to store them, for that extra mood buff they get for being frosty. Also I set up a medicine cabinet here to keep hold of the rime nodules.

If you were wondering how I keep the toxafox population in check, I sell a bunch of them whenever a trader is willing to buy them. Think of it as spreading the pollution, since they do dig up tox packs.

Wait that can actually happen? But I heard it was irreversible!

This isn't an invitation to discuss the biosphere collapse I will chain probe you so hard

Gun joins the colony, after all we can always use more guns :downsrim: Annoyingly that slow learner trait means that even with intellectual having double passions she'll only learn it at a 38% rate. But hey, if I were to inject her with a great intellect trait she'll practically be at 20...

I should probably talk about what gear our colonists are running. NGDB and Fajita Queen have the long rifles in the form of the advance tox rifles. I would like to use more tox weapons but a lot of them are the basic versions, only pump shotguns but no chain shotguns, bolt rifles but no sniper, no SMG version... Speaking of, Gun here, along with Chaos and SilentSnack all have heavy SMGs. Senrath has an LMG (and the satchels still) and Hoffman has that spear. Could do with some melee pawns I guess...

I downloaded a mod to help speed up spreading pollution in the map. Setting stockpiles for waste packs takes so god drat long. This.. might be a little too much in the other direction, polluting so many tiles every .5 hours.

And it has a massive range. There is a pollution overlay you can enable, red areas are the pollution. That top right area was thanks to a faction dropping pollution on us in retaliation, but just to show how quick these barrels spread pollution, the space done around it was only in a single hour. This is going to fill that circle in like a day.

Pictured here. This shot up the pollution to 40% and now everyone has +6 mood. Thats... way too fast. Think I'll not build another.

Meet the mech booster, unlocked with the chip the queen drops. This will give mechs a movement speed boost but more importantly they'll get an upgrade to their work speed. Something I haven't mentioned is that mechs have lower work speed, to offset working 24/7 I guess. Throwing this in the workshop will be great for the fabricor. Its intentional that the booster doesn't cover the tailoring bench as fabricors are stuck at 10 crafting, so I don't want them making stuff that I want to worry about quality for.

The fabricor can also use the drug lab, and at this point I switch from making flake to making yayo. Yayo is slightly more expensive and it provides a movement speed buff compared to flake, so may as well stick with that.

Faaaantastic. Not pictured is a third group off to the east. However... note that cluster of red dots near the top group.

A ship part crashed down with a bunch of scythers. I was gonna take care of it but was waiting for everyone to wake up. Talk about good timing!

The tunnel has been doing a good job at wounded but failing to kill these raiders :mad:

The raiders waltz past the mechs so I fired an artillery shell at them to wake the mechs up :sickos:

THIS IS NOT THE TIME! When a mechanitor has a mental break you lose control of the mechs

And those useless rear end raiders only killed 5 of the 26 scythers. There was 73 of you :argh:

I'll just leave the scythers out there to their own devices and throw more trash at these raiders so they can do the job right next time.

Did some shopping, I grabbed a skilltrainer and holy poo poo

And I picked up a little something for Jack.

Someone crash landed close enough that I risked opening the doors to capture them. This is a dirtmole.

Sounds like a xenotype that would be great in this colony. But I want that strong melee damage gene they got so into the genetic rip and tear.

Hello darkness my old friend...

Senrath picked a social fight with NGDB and got absolutely bodied, to the tune of having a whopping 17% move speed. Reminder that last time NGDB punched Senrath's toe off, you'd think one would learn that if you don't start nothing it wont be something.

Shop had another skilltrainer. Legendary guns and armor here we come!

Colony gets hit by the flu, so everyone gets to hang out in the new hospital. I made the beds out of skysteel because I had over a thousand of it and needed to use it for something. And this is after I made skysteel helmets for everyone. If you're curious as to why I have the beds this way, its because once I get the analyzers researched I'll only need 1 to connect to all these beds.

Oh right, and in the background NGDB, DN and BreadMaster have had fibrous mechanites going on and it seems Randy wants to make them last the full 30 days.

NOW DO IT RIGHT :byodood:

Hrm, did that a little too good. There is still another group to the east and some CHEATING FUCKS who spawned in the south. Again. I swear I'm gonna just start putting wooden floors and a incendiary IED down there.

I uh, I summoned Diabolus again and this time he came with 2 of him.

I get the feeling the mod that lowers melee damage against walls as well as the bunker walls don't actually account for neanderthals because they punch through the walls like it was loving nothing.

I had to put up a wall of mechs to slow down the neanderthals and have DN and NGDB hock their loogies when they clumped up and got the enemy to retreat.

Diaoblusi were also a little too good at destroying the raiders.

Fun fact: Self destruct works on diabolus!

The second one is an issue though... also blowing up the diabolus also blew up the tox barrels which has left tox packs all over the area.

Woo, 2 signal chips!

Ah drat, one of our prisoners has an infection. What will we do?

Time to finally get robust!

Time to start working on animal genetics. Right now I have 2 nutrient vats which are basically tool cabinets for all the vanilla genetic expanded stations. The only other thing built right now is a genetics tinkering table, this both lets us craft various medication for the creation process as well as make excavators. Regular ones need 40 steel and 1 component and the alpha ones require 20 steel, 1 component and 10 plasteel.

Sadly the silkies only have an alpha genome, was kinda hoping they'd have an avian one. But for now we can go ahead and get an insect one off one of the (male) behemoths..

... or not I guess.

The animals will be eating well. Meanwhile our colonists are on the brink from all the butchering going on. But hey, it doesn't stack past 5 so may as well butcher them all now!

Also we currently have like 1.3k human leather.

A nearby loot stash was found which had an advance bionic leg. I head over and oh god ambushed by cougars. Now who will get this leg... well Fajita Queen has an aching scar in one of their legs, not only slowing them down but also constantly giving them pain.

Oh god, all the spiders.

I was able to get out an insect genome out of one. We'll keep a hold of this one for a minute.

So many animals :shepface:

You picked the wrong colony to self tame at friend.

After researching gene duplication we unlock this useful building, the genome extractor table. By putting in 100 kg of corpse we can make a template genome. Then with a template genome we can combine it with another genome to duplicate that genome. We can do this for everything except alpha and colossal genes. Much better than using excavators on multiple creatures.

Gotta put a pin on genetics, a raid is in progress. And those decoys loving rule cause it makes the raiders actually go over to attack them.

... Well looks like we have a new candidate for that bionic leg! Also what caliber of ammo are these SMGs firing that it can shoot a leg clean off?

And well, while they're down. May as well shoot them with a new dose of xenogerm. I went with partial antitox since the MOPP jacket provides some tox resistance as well, and this leaves me some extra metabolic efficiency to shove in robust. And psychite dependency gives a whopping +4 to metabolic efficiency. Sure you die if you don't take it every few days but hoo boy, it preventing overdoses for a drug that gives over 30 mood, halves pain and increases move speed... thats a positive gene.

An expo is going on nearby, it was an acoustic expo so I sent Breadmaster. I think Breadmaster would listen to acoustic guitar.

And just like any good concert, Breadmaster walks out with a bunch of drugs.

And just like any good concert, all the trash is left behind for the locals to deal with.

New building, the tissue grinder. Throw in a corpse and you'll get a genoframe. An awful genoframe. The way to get better genoframes is to combine 2 of the same genoframe. So we'll need 2 corpses to make 2 awful frames to make a poor. Then 4 corpses to make 2 poors for a normal. All the way up to legendary. As the description says: You should get higher quality frames from searching labs and not making them yourself.

Oh hey look at that, a trader just flew overhead who sells genes. I splurge and buy each genome and that masterwork frame.

... where is the most expensive items that I just purchased?! Did they bug out because the landing zone doesn't have a sizeable open roof area?!

After getting fleeced another trader stopped by, this one with some "Booma" genes. When you use the genemorpher you can pick a dominant gnome, a secondary (tier 2, 3 and alpha cannot be secondary). Then you pick a genoframe which decides the quality of the animal. Then you can do a booster, in this case I'm gonna do a fertility one so these chickens can fertilize the eggs. And well...

What can POSSIBLY go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Leal posted:

What can POSSIBLY go wrong?

Nothing. Nothing could possibly go wrong. (besides running out of food).

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
'So how was the concer-' 'WOOOOOOOO I HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE DRUGS'

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I'm sure rapidly breeding explosive chickens can not possibly go wrong.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Leal posted:

... Well looks like we have a new candidate for that bionic leg! Also what caliber of ammo are these SMGs firing that it can shoot a leg clean off?

Pictured: Heavy SMGs

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

what are you talking about, rimworld is a perfectly stable game with no glitches at all (especially when you throw tons of mods at it)!

also dang i looked away for a second and went from being a crappy lil robot to a kind of cool one

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The thought of your colonists refusing nutrient paste not because it's cannibalism but because it's not made of God's Own Perfect Substance: Mushrooms is still making me giggle.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

One of these days I'll win a fight.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Who knew entering the wild and wacky world of genetics could be lead to a good source of explosions?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

The thought of your colonists refusing nutrient paste not because it's cannibalism but because it's not made of God's Own Perfect Substance: Mushrooms is still making me giggle.

They are nutrient paste connoisseurs

DoubleNegative posted:

Pictured: Heavy SMGs

Coming soon to a vampirate colony

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Can you feed a baby in a growth vat human nutrient paste with no downsides? Seems like the baby can't complain. Only thing I can see is a negative moodlet from the parent or maybe the kid when they pop out of the vat as a fresh faced 3 year old.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
You don’t control directly what the colonist brings to the growth vat, and it completely doesn’t matter what you put in, which is fortunate. I’ve had them shoving in human and hay pet kibble, or booze before.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Polluting Collective 11

Holy poo poo, it finally happened. Nearly 310 days in this event finally popped. I considered using devmode to force it to spawn, but decided to see if it ever would.

This particular vault is deep in a hill, but generally these vaults are surrounded by vault walls which have twelve thousand hit points. Then there is this door that has twenty thousand. There is an option to hack the doors which... is taking a while. Good thing nutrient paste fills so much hunger and yayo reduces tiredness!

After hacking inside there was another bunker door. In the north is a regular vault door, but its unpowered so we can't go through and it also has 10 thousand health. I had to send NGDB back, but left the mechs back so the map doesn't despawn. It takes so long to hack through the doors that other needs required sending them home.

It takes so long to hack that Grunt (aka Wallis) became an adult! And god his stats suuuuuuuuuuuck. Whatever, someone who sleeps less who can do research more often is always nice.

... for gently caress's sakes! Well while we're waiting for the next week it'll take to hack all these doors, lets look at some stuff.

On the left is an ancient supply slingshot, you put stuff into it and then fire it off at another vault who then fires back stuff of equal value. You can fire off a plasteel statue and get back 500 human leather, or 100 hats and get an antigrain warhead. This actually WOULD be useful for this colony, if only because there is just 1 friendly outpost (not counting Empire, which needs a certain nobility rank) to trade with nearby. But we can't take this home so...

On the right is a point defense turret which can also fire at mortar shells and drop pods. This we CAN take home. Speaking of turrets, past the second bunker door were several ancient security turrets. They are basically normal mini turrets.

After getting through the third bunker door we finally make some progress inside. Thankfully these doors are regular steel doors that we can punch through. A Genie was inside of this room, who I'm capturing for a very useful gene that they carry that I feel is needed in this colony. We'll get to that in a second

A second Genie popped out and after downing him the map is considered ours so I can claim all the doors and open them normally. Except for unpowered vault ones, but I can run power around to fix that in a moment. First lets get all these prisoners back home.

...gently caress off! Thankfully NGDB can walk on over the last tile. Unfortunately one of the prisoners was naked for whatever reason and died of hypothermia.

While waiting for chemfuel to come in, lets take a look around the vault. This rec room has an ancient cooler in the top right, which is basically a air conditioner that doesn't need a heat vent. It also has a special feature that most of the ancient stuff has: They do not breakdown and they do not go down during a solar flare. They "operate more efficiently" during solar flares, which I'm going to assume means they use less power.

On the left is a foosball table, definitely gonna take that home. Then on the bottom is an ancient cook station which combines a butcher table and a stove. Eh, maybe if we didn't use nutrient paste I could find use for this.

The room on the right has some hermatic crates that need to be hacked, that'll have to wait until I can fly NGDB back. Hrm... hope no one attacks seeing as how all the mechs are idling away here. On the bottom right is an ancient water filter. I'm assuming its a combined water storage plus water treatment, because the description just says "Large water filtration system" Large my rear end, it only holds a thousand liters!

The left room has several cryptosleep sarcophagi, 3 currently closed. Chance for more prisoners. Then there are cryptosleep suspenders which seems to be a mix of a hospital bed and a cryptosleep casket, where it slows down wounds worsening and helps with healing, while giving a slightly less severe cryptosleep sickness effect? Next to them are some ancient vitals monitor, which are just a regular ol' vitals monitor but they don't go down during solar flares.

Then the first room we saw, which holds the main thing of the ancients expanded mod. Which took 5 game years to finally pop. There is... a lot here. But hey, we can take all this stuff back home so I'll explain that stuff in more detail when I get things set up back at home. Which requires me to know where to even set everything :shepface:

What I would like to point out is in the top center, those are ancient educators. They provide recreation and will give points towards random skills.

A raid happened, thankfully it wasn't a gently caress you 70+ man one. Breaching raid though, and they absolutely tear through embrasures. I have Talow use their centipede girth to fill the gap while everyone fires at the invaders.

One of the prisoners I captured had an acid scar in the brain. I guess they'll be thankful when they're thrown into the gene ripper.

Once the heli gets refueled I bring Chaos and Gun over to the bunker. The idea is I'll have NGDB return with the mechs while the remaining 2 can continue dismantling the place, with Gun's intelligence for hacking and Chaos' construction abilities.

Now lets talk about the room on the top left, its a power room. At the top of the room is an ancient geothermal plant. This thing provides 6.8k power and can also work as a heater or an air conditioner. I kind of want to take it home, but even if I wall it up with bunker walls the enemy might just go for it instead of going for the tunnels. To the left is an ancient chemfuel generator which provides 4k power for the same amount of chemfuel as regular generators. The batteries in the room are ancient batteries which store 4k power each, regular batteries only do 600W.

At the top is a dining room and a bedroom. Gonna be hauling home a lot of steel at some point.

In the middle of this salvaging operation Silentsnack hits 10 and their next growth moment. Glad I took the combat passions last growth moment, none of those this time around.

In the south there is a chemfuel room on the right, there used to be 3 big red barrels that deconstruct into chemfuel. Then there are some pipes that go underground that you can hack to get chemfuel, but it may cause an infestation so I leave it alone. On the left there is some equipment as well as a broadcast station. Hacking that will show you to another vault. If only there was a way to get THIS vaults location way sooner!

And finally in the very top of the vault is this room with these amazing things. Ancient hydroponics. Each one requires 700w of power, has a built in sunlamp and doesn't go out in solar flares, which is one of the biggest "gently caress yous" if you were relying on hydroponics. And these will have full fertility, unlike the sunlamp room back at base.

Back at base our animal genetic project has born fruit :getin: Each day these chickens provide 5 chemfuel and every 2 days we get an egg, which have a 9 day hatch time. At a normal level these birds will have a genetic disease that kills them in 3 years. But thats ok... we have solutions before that becomes an issues.

Also I'm feeding them kibble instead of nutrient paste because they do not have stomachs big enough to handle all the nutrition and it'll all be wasted. They need .32 nutrition but can only eat .18, so they'll eat 2 meals even though thats worth 1.80 nutrition.

Here is a picture of young Silentsnack making a human leather cowboy hat, with guest appearance by toxafox designation "10". I just wanted a picture of a child making a human leather cowboy hat.

I carve out a little utility section for the colony. I throw the ancient batteries inside, along with putting a septic tank, pumping station and the hot water tank inside. Outside is a huge water tower, holding a whopping 50k water. I have a sprinkler set up in the farms which provides a boost of growth rate every morning. Well, for the now hydroponics room. The sprinklers will catch on fire when the inevitable infestation happens again in the mushroom farm.

Oh hell yeah, Grunt will like this.

Something always has to put my plans on pause. This one I have to actually react to soon because they dropped with a building that will cause a solar flare in a few days that'll stay in effect until its destroyed. There is an interesting mech in the top right, by the walls.

Good god. That would be rude, if not for one thing...

:getin: This thing takes 10 whole bandwidth to use. I had to remove control from a few mechs so I can take over this.

drat, was aiming for the EMI dynamo

I need this for myself. I sat this guy behind the embrasures and just let him nuke the mechs, with some backup of our own mechs of course. One day that power will be mine. Unfortunately this came at a cost of Someoneawful and Sugar Addict going down. And annoyingly, the former's body was completely destroyed so now I need to get a prisoner to pull a high subcore :shepface:

Chaos gets shot with a xenogerm. Since he can also do melee in a pinch I give him strong melee, robust of course, and awful for skills he doesn't use. Then there is dead calm, which is that gene that I said should be useful in this colony. It leads to NO SOCIAL FIGHTING. I swear the most damage done to colonists are from their fellow colonists. This doesn't prevent violence or anything.

Now whats strange is, looking at this metabolic efficiency before injecting it was a flat 0. Looking at Gun, its a flat 0. The traits from left to right are -1, -2, -2, +2, +2, +1. Yet his efficiency is -3? Something here isn't adding up.

Since I have so many cowboy hats and there is only 1 single friendly city I can sell too (and even then it takes up all the fuel I have for a single trip), I decide to befriend one of the pirate factions. But uh, well they were the ones who owned that bandit outpost and now I cannot do that quest anymore to get the psylink :shepface:

Oh boy don't I love it when things spawn on a mountain tile and its stuck deep in the loving mountains and I'd need to take like 5 hours digging through to find things. Especially for a site tied to a mod that took 5 years to finally pop and if I leave now I'll just have to wait and hope another one appears!

This is what devmode was made for. And wow, aint this a sizeable vault.

And the only entry point is a door that is unpowered so we have to destroy it. All 10k HP worth. And the satchel isn't do-

CAN WE loving NOT

Literal hours later of shooting at a door. Like I get the thought process behind this of a vault that is impenetrable from outside invaders but its really not fun to actually play. Having to send people back and forth because they get too tired/hungry/bored just whittling a single door down sucks rear end.

And of course, after all that there is still a bunker to hack through...

Just saying, when I have to drop pod furniture in to make my colonist comfortable in the multi day effort to get in, its time to march back to the drawing board.

And then I get this great idea to bring a battery on over and slap it down to restore power. Why didn't I do this 3 days ago....

Once again I bring Chaos and Gun over to deconstruct and hack the remaining stuff and holy poo poo, look at what I got from deconstructing 2 machines we already have. I'm in dire need of advance components, and I just got 9.

A quest popped up for a looted vault. As you can guess, the vault is already opened and a bunch of stuff is removed. But whats nice is that there is still a broadcast tower in it because my dumb rear end forgot to hack the one in the last vault. Not only is there significantly less stuff around, but a lot of it is heavily damaged. Really, the big appeal to these is hacking the broadcast tower.

I know I talked some mad poo poo about Highmates at the start, but look at that construction! She has the best construction despite how long everyone else has been doing construction work. And double passion in medical so I can have a back up doctor is always nice.

Now I was going to try some genetic alterations on her, but there is something I realized with Highmates: Their genes are xenogerms and not germline. Basically, they don't actually have any of their own genes and for all intents and purposes are baseline humans who've been injected to look pretty. This means that if Breadmaster and DoubleNegative had a kid the child would not have a single Highmate gene. Also the mind devourer that Grunt is also only has xenogenes. Which means I COULD just inject him with a new xenogerm to remove underveleoped teeth and the eldritch visage...

So in short, I couldn't gene mod Breadmaster and Morgan with aggressive to make them capable of violence again. At least without getting rid of everything else and effectively having to make a highmate + 1 xenogerm.

I mean, I guess I can if I want to play roulette with the gene extractor every 2 weeks :shepface:

Another vault, and this time there is actually power running through it to have the turrets active. I want to show off NGDB's new pistol which is a Jotun pistol, Jotun is a weapons type from Rimsenal that is all about hard hitting, heavy weapons. These are what I want to use against mechs for the heavy damage, while using lighter weapons against humans. It is kind of a pain though cause pretty much every weapon, minus this pistol, has from a -.15 move to a whopping -.50 move penalty. And even with this pistol, it can't use a shield for whatever reason.

I am NOT going to spend another real life day going through a vault again.

Poor NGDB, missing out on this raving party the eldritch abomination is currently throwing.

Alright, after 3 pristine vaults and 1 looted vault, I have a sizeable amount of genetics stuff. Time to explain what all this stuff is:

1: Super nanites and containment units for them. Super nanites deteriorate and these containers stop it... kinda. I have some shelves to the left that has nanites and it does say they're deteriorating but at a rate of 0/day so :shrug: Super nanites are basically fuel for this whole system.

2: Stabilised mucus inducer, which sounds disgusting. This will allow unlocking an extra ability.

3: Nanite sampler. This gives us the choice of 2 sets of abilities when the process ends.

4: Super nanite injector pumps. These reduce the time for genetic tailoring, each one reduces it by 1 day and you can link 10 max. Normally it takes 15 days for the process to finish, so we can bring it down to 5.

5: Simulation drives. These reduce the fail chance by 1% each, and you can link 10. Oh yeah, after you spend weeks breaking into vaults and bringing stuff home there is a base level 50% chance to fail. Failure either kills your pawn, makes them brain dead (kills your pawn) or makes them go berserk (not sure if this is a berserk moodlet where you can down them and they'll recover, or a permanent one which means you need to kill your pawn). I'm gonna 100% admit right now, after all this effort to even get things going I will absolutely save scum if a pawn dies.

6: Genome macrothermometer, which unlocks an extra ability.

7: Nanotech retractor, which allows the ability to remove a weakness from a pawn. You can get several extremely debilitating weaknesses (total pacifism, going berserk when getting rejected) and this lets you remove them. You'd think this would in itself be the downside and not the chance of just killing your pawn but they went with both.

8: Super nanite dialyzer, which reduces the death rate by 5%. You can stack 2. So with the simulations drives and two of these, its still a 30% chance of death.

9: The gene pod itself, where all the magic happens. Now who should be the test subject....

Since Chaos has been the one breaking down stuff in the vaults, they can have the first go.

... Huh, the page for this mod says it takes 15 days normally, being possible to reduce to 5. I aint gonna complain. Good luck :patriot:

And here we go. Two options, on the left is weapons expert which reduces aiming time by 50% and ranged cooldown by 50%, in exchange for always flirting and getting rejected. The other option gives a 50% chance that building something will refund 25% of the resources needed to make it. Now, that does sound nice. Chaos DOES do construction. But uh... that negative?

Egotistical which removes the ability to do ANY labor. All of them. Every single labor is disabled.

So yeah I go with the left option. Now we do have the building that can let us remove weaknesses so...

Good loving lord, 70% failure rate? And thats WITH buildings that reduce it 20%, thats a 90% failure rate normally. What the hell. I hear a lot about how the vanilla expanded stuff throws balance out of wack and in the player's favor, but this is like they decided to overcompensate in the opposite direction.

So let's see... You first need to wait for the first vault to pop, which took 5 years for me. Then you need to go out and loot them, needing to break through the bunkers and doors which is a multi day affair. To get what I got, pretty much going from one to another has taken about another 30 days, which is half of a year in Rimworld. And this is with me flying a helicopter to and from, if you didn't have this you would have to walk people to and from to carry the heavy equipment, meaning this process would take longer.

By the way, all the equipment is expensive as poo poo. Just the equipment, nevermind the super nanites which can get as high as 2k each, contributes nearly 10% of my colony's wealth right now. So raids will be bigger. And after you do all that you could get a pawn who will literally murder someone if their romantic advances are rejected, and if you want to remove that ability it starts at 90% chance of killing your pawn? Maybe there are some outcomes that are really powerful, but remember we just had a possible outcome where there was buffs to just construction and the weakness was that they couldn't do any labor, completely nullifying the buff.

So anyways, lets see how our new super soldier is doing.

Calling Senrath a pork face. hosed up.

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 19, 2023

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Leal posted:

And here we go. Two options, on the left is weapons expert which reduces aiming time by 50% and ranged cooldown by 50%, in exchange for always flirting and getting rejected. The other option gives a 50% chance that building something will refund 25% of the resources needed to make it. Now, that does sound nice. Chaos DOES do construction. But uh... that negative?

Egotistical which removes the ability to do ANY labor. All of them. Every single labor is disabled.

So yeah I go with the left option. Now we do have the building that can let us remove weaknesses so...

So let's see... You first need to wait for the first vault to pop, which took 5 years for me. Then you need to go out and loot them, needing to break through the bunkers and doors which is a multi day affair. To get what I got, pretty much going from one to another has taken about another 30 days, which is half of a year in Rimworld. And this is with me flying a helicopter to and from, if you didn't have this you would have to walk people to and from to carry the heavy equipment, meaning this process would take longer.

By the way, all the equipment is expensive as poo poo. Just the equipment, nevermind the super nanites which can get as high as 2k each, contributes nearly 10% of my colony's wealth right now. So raids will be bigger. And after you do all that you could get a pawn who will literally murder someone if their romantic advances are rejected, and if you want to remove that ability it starts at 90% chance of killing your pawn? Maybe there are some outcomes that are really powerful, but remember we just had a possible outcome where there was buffs to just construction and the weakness was that they couldn't do any labor, completely nullifying the buff.

It's not just horribly wealth inflating, it's also consumes a ton of space, with enough equipment you can get it down to 0% chance of death, I think every weakness removal and/or extra gene increases death by 20% stacking.
It also gets really really bad because the weaknesses are so crippling it's not worth it until you can do it.
You have maybe 1/2 chance of getting something worthwhile and maybe 50% chance of a weakness that cripples your pawn. It's also possible that the weakness is "kills your pawn" and its BOTH OPTIONS.
Also you want to freeze your gene injector room because otherwise insects will spawn there and destroy everything.

Also you want to check everyone you find in a vault for powers and weaknesses. I've had vault dwellers spawn with hawkeye and blindness, or critical hitting and paraplegic.
Also yes there are some very overpowered powers, but it's a gamble to get them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I did plan on opening the caskets, but with how long it takes to hack everything else I decided nuts to that and went on my way. Cause you can't just open those like normal caskets, they need to be hacked.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think the reason Chaos’s metabolic efficiency is worse than predicted is because Chaos has the Aggressive gene getting overwritten by the dead calm gene. When you install a xenogerm that reverses an innate gene, you have to pay the metabolic cost of removing the innate gene. The predictions in the gene maker assume you are installing onto a baseliner, so you don’t see that extra cost until you install it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Leal posted:

I did plan on opening the caskets, but with how long it takes to hack everything else I decided nuts to that and went on my way. Cause you can't just open those like normal caskets, they need to be hacked.

Last I checked you can just smack the ancient cryosleep caskets and they'll immediately open, no need to hack em.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

I think the reason Chaos’s metabolic efficiency is worse than predicted is because Chaos has the Aggressive gene getting overwritten by the dead calm gene. When you install a xenogerm that reverses an innate gene, you have to pay the metabolic cost of removing the innate gene. The predictions in the gene maker assume you are installing onto a baseliner, so you don’t see that extra cost until you install it.

Alright that does make sense, don't know why I didn't consider that

SugarAddict posted:

Last I checked you can just smack the ancient cryosleep caskets and they'll immediately open, no need to hack em.

Wait then whats the point of having them be hackable :mad:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Leal posted:

Wait then whats the point of having them be hackable :mad:

Hack, like with a dull axe. Hackable.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Polluting Collective 12

Overview of the colony, though its probably not gonna be changing too much at this point.

I decide to put the sunlamp back up and make extra space for the hydroponics. There are 2 problems with the hydroponics:

Things grow quick, which is nice on one hand. On the other, this means pawns keep having to come over to harvest.

And the harvests aren't really all that big, sure the rice will come in quick but it'll be enough rice to maybe take care of 3 meals. In fact I'm having some issues feeding the animals (though part of it is me not wanting to split the colonist's food and not giving the animals any of our delicious fungus). I can't grow corn in the hydroponics, so a large amount of the sunlamp area will be for corn. I then need some more haygrass to fill the chickenlope's section of the barn so I stop getting messages about animal filth. Then whatever hay is leftover can be used for kibble.

I've been slowly using the remote tech mod to build shaped charges to blow off the mountain roof in our little helipad. We'll need bigger space for bigger helicopters. And what is that on the bottom left of the copter? Its a Target Acquisition and Communication System, from Rimatomics. Its part of the weapons systems that I've been holding off until completion to show off. This needs to be built outdoors by the way.

On the left is a Semi Automated Command Station, which operates the weapons from Rimatomics. Its semi automated, so you need a pawn staffing it. Skill doesn't matter, though they DO have to be capable of violence. They wont care about using their minds to command mechs to attack on their behalf, but they cannot press a button.

Then to power the weaponry you need to store up power. These are basically big rear end batteries, holding 6k watts. Here's a tip: The power in these count toward Zzzts, so get some circuit breakers. These were all needed before its possible to start research on the weapons, so lets take a look at our options.

And these aint your momma's Rimworld turrets, these are full blown weaholy poo poo look at that price. 6 thousand silver to start research on these. The most expensive thing costs 17 grand. The colony only has 12 grand. I may as well go for the punisher, hey maybe it'll decrease our colony wealth to save a few centipedes from showing up.

Speaking of :rolleyes: This group has a starfire too. Which if I didn't have the ability to hack them away, would be really annoying to put up with. But I guess thats the price you pay when you download a mod to add more mechs.

Morgan rides a blizzarisk to pick up a baby blizzarisk that was wondering around outside. Meta. Also whats great is that since blizzarisks get pollution stimulus they move even faster out in the wastes.

Don't think I have shown this off, its the weapons research bench from Rimatomics. Nothing really special, but the lights are pretty I guess.

A full set of advance research benches are up. Its great having everyone so close to one another... talking poo poo to one another.

At this point trying to get any kind of empire honor to get a psylink through quests is a crapshoot cause scaling is utterly busted. Why yes, I would like TWO mech clusters appearing on my map with starfires and 20 centipedes each! Also any quest involving needing to keep royals happy where they absolutely will not in our underground, nutrient paste colony. So I can trade some of the colony's gold to the tribute collector. 470 will get Grunt to yeoman.

I guess I could just jump the bestowers, but fighting the empire sucks rear end and there is already a lack of trading partners. I guess I can get Grunt to knight so I can trade..... then again, I think the trader themselves need to be the rank and not just be with someone who has that rank so really I should've had breadmaster get this and oh no I've gone crosseyed

His starter psy ability is... painblock :negative:

And Silentsnack is now an adult :toot: Really glad I grabbed melee and shooting at the first growth, never got those again. They also got tough, so they're a quick sleeping, fast walking, tough SOB. Once I chuck the robust gene on them they're gonna be invincible. Or be instantly killed by a centipede with a blaster turret. Thats an option.

Another day, another vault. So what is Jack doing here?

Neanderthals do such an amazing job at punching through the walls at base I figure we can try it ourselves at these vaults...

And you know what? It worked out so much quicker than hacking. It'd take like 2 or so days to hack through a single bunker, unless you rotate in a new pawn when the current hacker needs to take care of their needs. This took almost half a day to punch through 2 walls.

In the middle of a salvaging operation this popped up and good god look at all of those techprints! And we don't even have to take care of the site. All its doing is blocking out the sun, and in which case we'll just fight in the shade.

Some jackasses waltzed by the cluster and activated them. Now I get to enjoy trying to hack the starfire while under attack. Also the cluster had a toxic spewer so the map is harsh green again. We definately need to up our firepower to handle all these clusters that Randy seems to exclusively send now. I keep throwing waste at hostile bases but no one is coming to visit :(

Huh, the vault had some indoor parking. Neat. Also as a dick move there is an IED trap in front of both of those bunker doors. But I can just claim them as my own and uninstall them to take back home. Also its WAY faster to breach down a vault door than it is to hack it. Besides taking home a bunch of steel and components, there was a genome stabilizer in the gene room of this vault, which further reduces failure by 10%, we can stack 2 of these.

Grunt's 6 art skill managed to make a masterwork. I'm speechless. He truly is the most beautiful eldritch out there.

This bunk room had some cryptocaskets, which take a long rear end time to hack. So I... just had a mech punch one and it immediately opened up. Huh. So lesson learned: gently caress hacking, just punch poo poo.

BLT has been hit with a xenogerm with a VERY useful gene. I found an alpha pack that had plasteel skin which gives +40% blunt and sharp defense but also has the passive regenerator gene. This gene isn't for regenerating its host, but instead it will reduce the severity of a nearby pawn's wound every 5 seconds. Which is really nice for a doctor to have! And if you were wondering whats up with having both aggressive and dead calm, its because aggressive is in a pack with poor artistic.

To make this possible I made some additions to the genetics room. In the top left is a gene register, this baby holding 80 genepacks in it. On the bottom right are 2 buildings: The furthest right one is a gene processor that increases the complexity the gene assembler can do by 2. I'm sure you can see what the problem could be considering the gene assembler starts with a complexity of 6. The building to left of that is a modded building that increases the complexity by 8 for the same room space.

Some animal genetic shenanigans happen, this time combining a gene of a bear and a rat. It says they have a low metabolism but there was no nutrition stat when I checked, but no this does indeed need food to eat. I'm mostly just testing this out anyways.

If you were wondering how things were going with the chickenlopes, its great! Though very labor intensive... But still, thats 50 chemfuel a day right there.

... make that 150 a day, after these chicks grow up. Wait there is HOW many eggs in the nest box? OK, I think I have a solution.

But before that, a pack of manhunting blizzarisks wandered into the colony!

I am... absolutely astounded. No really. Never have I thought I would ever witness a fight between giant spiders and death robots. Bravo Rimworld, you have topped Kenshi in things I wasn't expecting to see when a bunch of raiders who had an affinity for crabs came to the rescue of my clan of ninjas who were being besieged by a bunch of bugmen.

Sadly the blizzarisks didn't make much headway. I get a little heart attack when the mechs starts walking towards base but eventually stopped and returned to the cluster.

Operation exploding chickens GO

In hindsight, would probably work way better against humans.

Fajita Queen rides a mighty Blizzarisk and heads out to the mech cluster to shoot out the overshield covering the cluster. And what weapon allows such amazing range?

Oh... a little something. This gives a massive -.50 penalty to movement speed, but I don't believe this holds up when mounted. Also I finally researched bionics and gave FQ a replacement leg for their scarred, missing toe one. Even with this gun, wearing a flak vest and a MOPP suit she still runs circles around everyone else.

And upon retreating FQ and ride takes a direct hit by one of the destroyer mechs. Good thing BLT can heal people by being nearby, huh?

And now that the mechs are out of the bubble...

Time to put our prototype to work! We need someone manning the SACS and the punisher uses sabot rounds, 20 steel to make 1 shot. Then it takes around 30 seconds between shots to reload, but it also requires power in that large battery I've shown earlier, 1k per shot.

And I mean this is an actual protoype, I can't build another until I finish testing this, by gathering combat data through shooting it. Once I get enough data and finish the research project I can build extras.

I would expect something that sounds as loud as it does when it fires and fires such a large round would do a fair bit more damage on a direct hit on a centipede. But centipedes are bullshit so what can ya do. Also note the nearby pawns, some visitors whose stupid asses almost opened the doors for the mechs.

Now the turret has been doing a pretty good job at splitting the mechs, I have NGDB ducking behind it and combat repairing it so I don't lose out on my investment.

My heart sank as the starfire rounded the corner, I had DoubleNegative run out to self destruct it.

After finishing off the starfire I rush everyone out and around. Meanwhile Fajita Queen gets downed so I have NGDB grab their AMR to continue firing on the mechs. We are out of power so I can't keep the punisher firing.

A rather unintended perk to having the beds like this is that everyone is close to BLT and will benefit from the healing aura.

Oh for gently caress's sakes why is it even an option for people to spawn here. Well I aint deconstructing all those walls.

I sent SilentSnack through the gene pod and whoa, hold on. This sounds perfect The downside here is that SilentSnack can no longer do combat. But well...

No chance of failure for the weakness removal!

Oh? This is amazing. This is a prisoner I swiped from a vault and they have a power: Immortality. They can come back to life 3 days after death. This was after I threw them into the ripcore scanner. So in short: I have someone I can keep yanking ripcores out of. Or I can put a xenogerm in them and put them into the scanner. It'll kill them but they come back 3 days later, which is a hell of a lot faster than waiting 2 weeks between scans.

I've started building an outer wall on the right side of the colony, partially because I'm tired of blowing up the mountain tops but partially so I can start putting punishers and other weapons out there. And hell, may as well finally use one of those ancient geothermal generators.

Another power for Silentsnack. On the left is empathy which will increase a fellow colonists mood for a day, with the downside of not doing any jobs ever. The other is super strength, which not only doubles their carry weight but also doubles melee damage. What happens if I inject them with a strong melee gene? The weakness is paranoid, which makes them suffer a mood debuff if they aren't in the home area. I'm assuming that doesn't just mean keep them at the colony, but the home zone as well.

After this I make a xenogerm with strong melee, dead calm, psychite dependency, awful mining/plants, robust (stacks with tough!), partial antitoxic lungs and minor regeneration. Would love to throw plasteel skin, but its stuck in a genepack with passive regenerator which has -6 metabolic efficiency. I really need to find more negative genes...

A crash pod came through and dear god what. Meet the wretch, a mutant whose genes change every 24 hours. This does sound like a good way to get some genes, just wait around and check on them and grab what you want. I could yank out the mutation gene and implant it in prisoners... except there is another limitation to the gene ripper, the one that lets me pick which gene to get. If a pawn has their genes regrowing from a xenogerm implant you cannot use the ripper. You can still use the extractor, but its random what you'll get and wretches can have a lot of genes stockpiled. And this can even be things like having 5 different skin types as their xenogene, like Amelia here has.

drat shame that our immortal prisoner loses their xenogenes upon revival.

A mech raid drops in and hold up, one second, what in the actual gently caress. There are THREE war queens in this group. Then there are 2 apocritons, which are the tier 3 mech boss that I haven't even summoned yet.

Bombs away!

... fantastic, the apocriton can resurrect mechs. And there are 2 of them. I'm trying to prioritize the punisher on them cause its gonna be extremely bullshit if they're reviving one of those 13 centipedes or the war queens.

Got one! On death they will do an emp pulse around themselves.

Here is the description for the apocriton, while I pray to kill the second one before it recovers from the EMP and revives it.

Thankfully it seems that they cannot chain revive one another, so both are now down and a bunch of the centipedes are pretty heavily damaged.

Starting to wonder if I should bother with spike traps anymore at this point if I'm going to have a ton of heavy mechs rolling through.

As mechs start to become the only raid type I'm getting, I built a sagittarius, which has a tesla gun that not only does EMP damage on mechs but can burn humans.

I have this as well as Talow under Breadmaster's control, with a tower built nearby so I can move the mechs over to there. I figure I should use the spare bandwidth to make a more heavy defense force, while NGDB can have mechs more suited for flying around to various sites.

Looks like we're moving up a tier in mechs! At this tier of chip not only can we build more mechs, but we can also make a wastepack atomizer which is how you get rid of wastepacks without throwing them off map or letting them dissolve. And yeeesh, it costs 10k research points to advance. Gonna be here for a while...

How appropriate, as hurricane Hilary came nearby and caused high winds and rain in my area when I was playing this update.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Having a robot burn people with a tesla is totally fine, but don't you dare make me push a button on a turret console!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Pushing the button on a anti tank cannon is like pulling the trigger on the gun. Meanwhile the robots you control with your mind, if you just so happen to have bloodlusting thoughts and the mind robots decide to act on them well...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Polluting Collective 13

Scandalous! But also I'm surprised it took this long for Morgan to hook up with someone.

Hope Breadmaster and DoubleNegative don't mind the new upstairs neighbors.

New update, new, bigger, helicopter. 1k weight and 8 pawns can fit in this baby, also it has a fuel capacity of 720 (the smaller chopper is 480).

Chaos is always on the brink of a mental break, I think its time to throw him into the pod and get rid of his lust.

Speaking of genetic tailoring, now that Silentsnack is so swole I have them tag along with these vault adventures, taking the breach axe for themselves. Sadly it doesn't seem the extra melee damage is accounted for in destroying these. No don't ask why I didn't go through the wall next to the bunker door.

Also something I noticed is that even though various equipment says it can't be used with a shield, I see pawns holding shields anyways. I have Silentsnack using a jotun pistol and a torch sword for melee. And the breach axe of course.

Upon finding a hostile Silentsnack proceeds to cut his loving jaw and tongue off

Senrath got a creative inspiration so I had him make a jotun rifle. He seems to have a one track mind when it comes to what art to put on weapons.

I ended up splitting the chicken room to cut down on how many we're getting :shepface:

Gotta say, its a trip looking over every day and seeing just how much Amelia here changes. I guess I'm just keeping them around until a really good gene pops up so I can grab it.

Meet the tier 3 dish that summons a mech boss. This would be how we would meet Apocriton normally. I should mention this isn't a mod thing, its vanilla behavior for mech bosses to spawn in raids. Gotta say, its simply quaint seeing 7 scythers and 5 militors drop with the boss, compared to 14 centipedes, a second apocriton, 3 war queens...

I swapped out DoubleNegative's lancer as the jotun AMR does WAY more damage with significantly more range. And mounted on blizzarisks to offset the move speed penalty, they work perfectly in doing some hit and run shenanigans. Also I have taken to naming the blizzarisks to make sure I don't sell them as I've started doing some work on animal bionics.

Cause you know whats scarier than giant spiders? Chromed up giant spiders. Besides the legs increasing move speed, remember that spiders also get a 20% bonus to move speed when they get full pollution stimulus.

Wastepack infestation popped and good lord look at all of them. But hey, when the inevitable next mech raid happens, they'll be ready.

I ran a nutrient pipe over to the kill tunnel as well as a dispenser and some tables so colonists can eat. Quite often everyone gets on the brink of breaking because they're hungry while fighting. I guess colonists can eat while they're doing work on this side of the tunnels as well.

Senrath has a go at the gene pod and comes out with an option for regeneration (10 times healing rate) in exchange for.. 100% more psychic sensitivity. Sure, he'll get hosed up on a male tuned drone, but its not like, I dunno, the other option: Super speed which gives 50% more movespeed... in exchange for being paralyzed from the legs down.

Aw hell, lightning struck a cocoon and now all the insectoids are running around.

You know you can move forward right. And yeah, I ended up just extending the barricades and do without the spike traps. When you're wasting hundreds of steel to moderately wound a single centipede, it sucks.

Maybe this will finally get Chaos to stop hitting on everything. Even after removing the lustful weakness he was still doing it. Now this does present an issue where now BLT wants to be in a shared bed, but I want everyone sleeping nearby for the AOE healing she has. Hrm...

Who knew it would be strategic to have a spider sleeping at the foot of your bed. BLT needs to ride like the wind, bullseye. Why is that?

Another wretch came crashing down. Now I can yank the mutation gene out of one while waiting to see if a really good gene pops out of the other. Do gotta say though, it may be time to finally knock out this weather machine cause everyone slows down in the rain. While that may sound good for raiders, at this point I'm just getting mechs and centipedes move slow enough already.

Scientific discoveries, eh?

Yaaaay, what this colony needs. More chefmuel. DoubleNegative returns the favor with Mew Jersey's greatest export: 50 units of toxic waste.

Speaking of science and our massive chickenlope population, meet the archocentipede former as well as data banks. In order to make the archocentipede we need to surround it with data banks that are filled with each flavor of genome. All 13 flavors :shepface: Note that these items cannot be built, they need to be found in the gene labs. I haven't collected any thus far because I get chased off by an exploding thrumbo. I finally ended up scavenging a place that didn't have one of those waiting.

To fill the genome we need to feed hybrids into it, no we cannot just throw genomes inside. So the chickenlopes will work for both avian and booma genmoes. Its... going to be a process for other animals. I'm not sure if animal size has an effect, but so far the chickens fill 3% of the databank. So we'll need 34 each, for 64 total for both banks. It seems chicken hybrids may be the best option when it comes to rapidly breeding hybrids...

Now there is a way to cut down on those numbers, paragon species contribute double to the data bank amount, and thats what I'll be doing with insectoids. Paragon species require 2 of the same genome. The reason I want to go with paragon insects is that insect hybrids cannot breed, even if you use a fertilizer booster.

I'm gonna have to carve out a giant barn to hold all these animals in...

Speaking of fertility unblockers, wow. To make 5 of these it costs 5 medicine and 10 steel, and I have a butt load of both currently. The question is though, do I use it on Grunt immediately or hold off until he hits knight, since you cannot be bestowed a psylink higher than your rank.

Looks like I'll be holding that neurolink for a little bit longer!

Pathetic, you call that transport? Look at the helicopter, and thats not even the biggest one in the base!

Its been so long since everyone went out together that I forgot what it looked like. Also NGDB has a new hat, a mechlord's helmet which not only has a higher bandwidth amount but it actually provides some good defense, unlike the previous mechanitor headgear. This excellent quality one has nearly 120% sharp resistance and 52% blunt.

I shouldn't complain about there only being so little hostiles here, its a nice reprieve from getting "sites" that have 20+ people in them. That isn't a hunting site thats a drat village :argh: Anyways there was a genie mixed up here and genies don't have germlines, they're also all xenogerms. So injecting them with one will wipe everything else they had.

In other words I can inject them with the mutation gene and not have the genie genes being a possible outcome when scanned.

Fajita Queen goes through the pod and hey, this will be pretty drat useful. Guess who is now part of the vault salvaging squad? Unfortunately the downside is no violence. Before I send them in to remove the weakness lets take the ability out for a spin, maybe I'll be able to find some more equipment to lower that stupidly high fail chance.

You have no idea how good this feels. Once everything is hacked I take this chance to grind up Silentsnack's single passion in construction by deconstructing everything. I don't believe the skill effects what you get back, just the speed, so I'm not losing out anything having a 1 skill scrub break down this fancy equipment.

So blizzarisks also have a low heat threshold, 50 degrees. So all of our artwork is of them having heatstroke. God, please don't let this statue's art spread far and wide. Its bad enough our most powerful weapons have blizzarisks vomiting on them.

This also means I have to move them out of the bunks cause they have heatstroke while sleeping.

Oh come the gently caress on. I'm not digging out a new room for this.

Apparently straw matting doesn't count as being floored. I thought I was clever. Grunt better not start demanding his own room.

I quickly throw something together. Never let it be said that I'm not giving!

Speaking of giving, some wastelanders who didn't appreciate me sending some tox packs their way :qq:

Hoping this bestowers hurries up and they all leave before Consequences happen. And of course these guys are hanging out in the one corner of the map I can't fire the punisher at. I've been holding off on building a second

You ever seen a car accident about to happen and know you should avert your eyes but just decide to keep staring?

Good lord. And they wont loving retreat :saddowns:

Good loving lord :gibs: Grunt also lost his right leg. To think, he just got a new title and now he is missing a leg.

Thanks for the help by the way. Assholes. I was making some advanced bionic legs and arms in the background, originally for Silentsnack. Looks like plans have changed.

Wow Randy aren't you just an absolute cock today. Spawned a trader right where you also decide to drop a mech cluster.

Yeah they absolutely did not stand a chance. Colony is on lockdown for now.

In domestic affairs, I've been swapping out Breadmaster's cleaner bots for these lil' guys, turbocleaners. They can fly and as such don't deal with terrain movement penalties. In short: They're faster. Still only cost 1 bandwidth to use so no real reason to not use these, though they take standard cores instead of basic cores.

But not everything so doom and gloom in this colony, for example the wholesomeness of our child super soldier who spends plenty of quality time with their mothers. With NGDB they're raiding scavenging vaults and with DoubleNegative they're interrogating the prisoners that I injected a mutating gene inside of so I may snipe whatever good genes they grow, which will kill them.

Hmmm, tempting.

And speaking of genes, I went and shot Fajita Queen with this cocktail. Pollution stimulus so she'll be even more fast out in the wastes, very happy to override her unhappy gene and regeneration is just too good, and while it doesn't override the slow wounding gene, its not like the same thing. Its a flat reduction in severity every few seconds. Also funnily enough, regeneration minor is only -1 for metabolic efficiency, while fast wound healing is -2. Provided thats double healing to every wound of a colonist while regeneration reduces 0.1 severity of a single wound... but its every 4 seconds. I wonder if some nerd did the math on that.

Dang, even the slightest amount of darkness will set off infestations. Gonna need to check every corner.

Brutal blizzarisk on megaspider violence. The blizzarisk is the most powerful spider. Fun fact: Blizzarisks fire their webs while someone is riding them.

Holy poo poo, this lil' babby blizzarisk successfully defended itself against a spelopede and a megascarab. I have decided to name this mighty beast Agro, after the horse in Shadow of the Colossus.

Rare is it to see everyone actually hanging out with one another. Spreading out the dead calm gene certainly helps in keeping them from punching each other every day. Also note how empty the drug cabinet is, there is pretty much nothing growing outside due to all the pollution. Shame I can't grow them myself.

And this is why you're doomed to die, revive and be mutated over and over again, Superbass :mad: More like super rear end :mad: :mad:

Whats hosed up is that he had a trait I'm trying to find, beer dependency, and he actually had it... while in the xenogerm coma so I couldn't throw him in the scanner for a chance to get it. And it went away as soon as he regained consciousness :negative:

Oh holy poo poo here we loving gooooooooooooooooooooooo. And this is a pawn that I captured as a wretch, so I can actually use the gene ripper on them.

Boy don't I love it when visiting dumbasses aggro mechs and then drag them into attacking the base. Its great. Thankfully the mechs retreated eventually. Actually I hate it.

I'm not in too big of a rush to clear this out, so I slowly chip away at it by having Fajita Queen and DoubleNegative go out and take some pot shots, drop back behind the embrasures and then have NGDBSS hack a random mech to intentionally be gunned down before retreating behind the bunker walls and waiting for healing/cooldowns to finish.

After enough sorties the mechs decide to just charge. I realize it would be best to have one of my shield mechs step back so their shield only covers my colonists, and not peeking out of cover. That way only the shots that get past the cover gets blocked by the shield. No need to waste the energy protecting a wall. Thankfully the mechs were extremely spread out so they wandered in one by one to be shot down. Typical "Panic rush DoubleNegative to self destruct the starfire" applies.

During that mess I had JackSplater do some genetic modification. One power was the one where he gets reductions on ranged aim timing. He doesn't use ranged so here we go. I mean, it'll let him close the distance so it works out. The weakness is that he has 0% toxic resistance. Thats what genes and clothing is for!

I did bring a second gene pod home so I had Morgan in the pod as well. Left option is the resurrection ability, in exchange for a cold weakness. Morgan shouldn't be in danger and if she is, I have bigger issues than her dying. The right option is the 10x healing factor with the downside of having all their mental breaks be tantrums. Which shouldn't be an issue, Morgan has the very happy gene and is in a relationship so she should never have mental breaks.

We'll keep going with the genetic alterations, this is NGDB's newest xenogene cocktail. That alcohol dependency gives an extra 3 to the metabolic efficiency, as well as regeneration requiring 1 less than fast healing. Now instead of having to eat 75% more often, NGDB eats 10% less!

Meet the insect paragon, who I will be shoving into a data bank as soon as I find more.

If I had used a controller in the creation process I could make it use its insect cloud ability. Not sure what animal I would want to use those on... Now I was making these because they count as double and insectoid hybrids cannot breed.

.... That is, for one exception that I accidentally stumbled upon.

Meet the beetlefleet, made by combining an alpha genome with an insectoid one. For some reason I thought that was how you made paragons.

They produce insect jelly, explode on death like everything else in this colony and most importantly can reproduce via asexual fission. These will count for both insectoid and alpha genes. Now the offspring will have to wait 18 days before it can also split, but still this is a good way to passively generate that genome data as eventually they'll start doubling. It also takes 9 days between splits.

Oh and you can train these to attack. Just saying. drat, what if I went and made a bunch of these instead of the chickens for all that free insect jelly...

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I love aerofleets. I would get like 50-60 (probably more but I stopped counting with them quickly) and use them for the following:

- Trade goods to make factions like me more
- Attack bags
- My personal favorite, drop pod IEDs.

Fill a drop pod full of chemfuel, mortar rounds and a few aerofleets, then drop pod them into groups of enemies. Enemies attack the aerofleets, they explode, and then everyone is on fire. It's a great way to provide off map support to your exploring colonists. You can also use boomrats too, but aerofleets breed faster.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I somewhat tried that with the chickenlopes, though it was against mechs who don't care at all about fire. I am thinking about replacing the chickenlopes with the beetlefleets. No need to worry about keeping them penned and I can keep them confined to certain areas through zones and I can just refine the jelly into chemfuel.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Polluting Collective 14

Raiding another vault and why hello there. Now I can just get 1 more promotion for Grunt and then shoot him up to psylink 5.

There's always gotta be something to ruin my joy...

But hey, here is that chance to get Grunt's next promotion!

Welp that was easy.

Hrm, I should probably line the area up with bunker walls. Insects chew through granite way too easily. I also need to light up the turret sections so insectoids can't spawn in that area.

Before inviting our royal guests, lets take care of this cluster. First I hack the starfire then drag it back to base...

Then have DoubleNegative make it self destruct. Thats one of the biggest threats handled. While one might think this is cheap, a mech that can utterly obliterate everything from afar isn't exactly fair either.

While waiting for cooldowns, I go ahead and just do the ceremony. Thankfully the imperials landed in the safety of the walls. I wanted to get this done ASAP, besides just wanting to get the psylink already...

Grunt keeps complaining about stuff, besides wanting his own room he thinks he is above eating paste. He goes down to starving before deciding he'll deign to lower himself to eating glorious paste. So now that I have him at rank 3, and can shoot him up to rank 5 with the neuroformers....

I'll revoke his titles, he keeps the psylinks but loses out on any permits and we can no longer trade with the empire. Thats fine, as long as he stops whining about eating paste and wanting to wear something besides the glorious snow camo uniform.

As there is no proximity sensor at the cluster I have Silentsnack turn into Silent Snake and stealth through the cluster dropping explosive shells around, mostly to take out the over shield in the area.

And coincidentally a drop pod fell nearby. Yoink!

This person is of the Lapis xenotype who are good at mining but have a very unique aspect to them...

They do not eat food, instead they need to eat metal to accrue minerals. These mienrals can be used for powers. Reactive armor increases their armor stat, dependent on how many minerals they have. Mineral shock will have them shoot a rock at someone. Mineral overdrive increases their work efficiency. Thermal speed is an interesting one as it will have them move faster in high heat, but they get more tired. They're slower in cold temp but they get tired slower. High mining yield gives them 20% more stuff when mining steel and the like, and combined with great mining they're good for mining stuff.

Fred doesn't exactly have great skills, and even worse they have slow learner so it'll take way longer to actually learn anything. 8.8% learning speed in fact. But... well look at that first gene. Foodless. No need to eat, meaning the metabolic efficiency becomes a complete non issue., outside of the hard cap of -5. However this isn't an ordinary gene, its an archite gene. To be able to make a xenogerm with this gene we'll need archite capsules, which cannot be created. They can be found or bought from traders. So I'll need to either make drat sure I have no plans to change someone's xenogene later or stockpile a bunch of archite capsules.

Congrats to the future Moinbuorks. Still need to get a double bed for them but I don't want to rearrange the barracks.

Alright lets get back to the cluster. When I shot Grunt up to psylink level 5 he got a freebie skill, the ability to turn someone invisible for 15 seconds. I'll pop that on DN and have him run as fast as he can away...

Dammit, I didn't have the shells close enough to reach the shield.

The invisibility wore off and DN couldn't outrun the mechs, thankfully they all missed while I had Grunt fire off another invisibility.

Time to get utterly blasted by centipedes. There is no point retreating cause as you may have noticed, I have a punisher out here now and the mechs will just sit there and blast it instead.

And yes, we finally have our own siegebreaker. This thing took like half a year of gestation processes over and over. Like 12 cycles, each at 2 days per cycle.

Hoo boy that got intense. Hell I brought Breadmaster out to do some spot repairs on NGDB's downed mechs. Surprisingly everyone walked out with rather minor damage.

Some bandits with a psychic drone set up nearby and originally I was going to off-screen it, until landing and seeing that the base generation had a building set inside of the mountain. When I punched the wall of the building the raiders started going after us, splitting themselves up evenly and going the long way around. Made it a cinch to clear them out. Then I took down the wall and walked straight through the mountain.

On the left of this firing line I have changed bios out for a different mech, one that wont be setting fires when they shoot.

Going to be going all in on armor piercing shots, if only because I'm only getting mechs. The only time I fight humans is the odd reprisal raid and when going out to sites. And for flesh things, well getting shot is still getting shot, even if its "weaker" to make up for armor piercing capabilities.

Going through a genetics lab, found some databanks and a thrumbwoman. Begone you genetic monstrosity!

I went and chucked one of the insect paragons inside and noticed something that I'm not too happy about. The quality of the hybrid also determines how much DNA is contributed to the bank, so these awful paragons only do a single percentage. And the awful beetlejellies I have only do .5%

So I'm gonna make something else and bring out the good poo poo here. The offspring should inherent the improved controller, so this should lead to me being able to draft these exploding jellies and manually command them to rush the enemy.

Here is our immortal prisoner in the gene pod and... he looks decidedly normal, doesn't he?

Yeah for whatever reason throwing him into the pod clears out all the genes gained by mutation. Thats BULLSHIT. Executions for every prisoner!

Oh god what

Stop everything! Split the chickens! Throw them into the databanks faster

Well it finally happened. Breadmaster is old and has a low chance of procreating and Morgan is outright sterile. For now BLT gets hungry 10% more.

Sup nerds, I'm dropping my heli directly on top of your base. I'm not surrounded by you, you're

:supaburn:

Just some casual conversation after being set on fire.

Some mechs dropped in (I know big surprise right). And a single shot from the punisher took out all those red X's. Its so beautiful.

What isn't beautiful is apparently ChaosDragon and BLT broke up and now BLT is unhappy being pregnant. I don't even know how that happened, I didn't get an alert about it.

Alright everything is beautiful again. Superbass you amazing bastard! I wanted to get this out of the genepack that also gives the regeneration aura. Reminder that this gives +40% sharp and blunt defense to the entire body. Soon our ultimate soldiers will become a reality.

And the first step to that is giving our soldiers a.. bionic jaw. This is to get around Grunt's slow eating speed. Also even though Grunt was laying down on the bed, once he got anesthesia applied he took a bunch of damage, thanks to the brittle bones gene.

NGDBSS goes through the pod and gets a very interesting choice I save scummed until I got something that wasn't a power that increased recreation when alone. No, really. On the right is 100% tox resistance with the weakness of pretty much having psychopathy. On left though is a power that doubles the range of their weapon. Sure I have them running with a pistol, but now having an accurate pistol that fires at rifle ranges? The downside is that they cannot gain anymore skill. And with 20 in shooting and intellect and 18 in craft, I'm fine with that.

A raid full of scythers dropped in and they do that crap where they just attack all the walls around the place so I mount up some troops and roll out to clean them up. Its mostly a success, except for the part where Senrath got mad about being outside and decided to dismount his mighty steed and waltz around the wasteland.

"So he knocks me up and dumps me and as if that wasn't bad eno-:barf:"

So I've installed 2 additional PPCs and built a bunch of switches to make sure the base doesn't blow up when a Zzzt happens. And while thats nice, they still suck cause that means all the power for the punishers goes away.

Got a shot of our mighty steeds being trained and even caught Morgan harvesting some hyperweave. So the spiders give 30 per drop. Whats wild is that I currently have 400 of the drat stuff. But the clothing I'm making are set in their materials. Sadly I cannot make hyperweave MOPP jackets.

Also in this shot is the band node. I haven't built any extras and there is a reason for that: When a solar flare hits they shut down which then lowers your bandwidth. That can go extremely tits up if it happens at the wrong time.

So neat thing about the rimatomics weapons. Its not just a one and done deal with building it and thats all, there 2 things:

On the bottom left corner of the punisher there is a skull. This is a "rank" it gets off kills it acquires. First it gets one chevron, then two, and then a skull. Each "promotion" reduces its cooldown time, up to 10% at the skull rank.

Then there is the object that Chaos is bringing up to the turret. After researching the weapon a bunch of upgrades were available to research on the rimatomics research table. If the turrets being expensive wasn't enough of a deterrent from building a bunch, there is also the fact that these upgrades will apply to future turrets but wont be retroactively applied. You'll need to construct the part at the rimatomics machining table to upgrade the turret. The cost of a turret doesn't increase, so to get the best bang for your buck you would research every upgrade before building more turrets. As for what the upgrades do:

ERS will reduce the power cost per shot by 15%

ALC will reduce the cooldown by 15%

SCAD will add reactive armor to the turret. Unlike the other upgrades, it will wear out and need to be replaced.

Drive Actuator makes the turrets turn 200% faster. But eh, with our set up they should always be pointing in one direction anyway.

Targeting Chip will increase the range of the punisher's fire mission by 10 tiles and reduce the spread of the shots. The fire mission is what you can use to fire shells into other map tiles.

... lmao. Just lmao. Not the fact the game thinks I'm gonna do anything other than chuck the baby into the growth vat, but BLT having a discussion of subtlety with the father right before going into... I can't say labor because she isn't ready yet. I don't know why she fell exactly.

It almost makes up for rearranging the barracks to fit an extra double bed in the couple's room just for them to break up :mad:

After splitting I have some good news and some bad news about the insect jellies. The good news is that the offspring is also a masterwork hybrid. The bad news is the controller booster didn't pass on. To ensure I do not end up chucking the draft-able one into the data bank, I have dubbed him Aint Ready. Cause the raiders aint ready for this jelly.

Got a quest for a bunch of manhunting blizzarisks, so I went and summoned apocriton on over. I really need mech boss chips.

JackSplater gets hit with a genetic cocktail. Going all in for defense and healing. No anti tox lungs though, strange yeah?

Well I researched toxic filtration which gives access to 2 different anti tox bionics, a lung and a kidney. The kidney provides resistance against toxic that gets injected into the body, the lung handles the environmental pollution. It also provides protection against body rot from corpses. Also the lung provides 60% toxin resistance, which means that with the MOPP jacket thats a full 100%. Once I get a lung made for everyone I no longer need to use an anti tox gene on them.

And its nice to use on the colonists who only has xenogerms so I can't inject them with anti tox genes, unless I want to wipe everything off them.

I was checking tattered apparel complaints and uh... huh. Interesting. And when I tried fixing it it just dissolved into 16 steel. Well poo poo.

Negative durability aside, check out NGDB's new armor! This required 2 tier 3 and 1 tier 2 chips to create, along with plasteel, uranium and advanced components. It provides the same defense levels as the helmet to the entire body (...but not the hands or feet, of course. Why do you have a system that accounts for those parts and never provide armor that actually protects them?) In exchange for losing out in accuracy and move speed (-.40!) you get 12 more bandwidth to play with. All total NGDB now has 40 bandwidth for mech shenanigans. I got a few things gestating, though I plan on keeping 10 spare bandwidth so I can hack the inevitable starfires.

Its a drat shame that the second mechinator complex that popped was completely bugged and I can't have any of the other colonists who have genes set around mech stuff take part in this. I guess Breadmaster can start getting his own stuff and he can have a bunch of defensive mechs.

I decide its time to get more colonists, but all the various raiders, crash pods and slave ship offerings have been bad. So its time to make some more. Do they count as twins if they pop out of the growth vat at the same time?

Adjustments have been made to the kill tunnel. I extend the maze and carve out a side path so our colonists/non hostiles can completely bypass the maze. Then I put in some embrasures so they can fire at invaders when they decide they're just gonna attack the walls and not bother moving forward.

I also did some tiny work on the outside of the mountain. Embrasures running all the way down which will prevent hostiles from running up to our turrets while allowing the punishers to fire through them. As far as I can tell the embrasures have no chance of intercepting shots, and if they do its a very small chance. On the east side I do have bunker walls set, I'll start digging at the very edge of the mountains so colonists will be protected from gunfire when moving from one side to the other, without having to go deep into the mountain.

Also there is something I want to test out, I don't think embrasures will intercept shots from regular weaponry. They're pretty much reskinned sandbags with a higher cover value and block pathing. So this can force the enemy to stay further back while I have colonists with AMRs snipe them from max range with little risk to themselves. Embrasures only give protection if a pawn is directly next to it, so putting up rock chunks in front of them should prevent that.

Guess I made a little lie when I said the colony wouldn't be changing much.

Leal fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 30, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hell yeah i'm a coilgun mech now, that rules

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Not sure if the promotion system for rimatomics was simply a straight up nerf. I remember for each kill a rimatomics turret got it would reduce it's weapon cooldown by a small amount and it had no limit other than power availability. I wonder if there's other benefits to the promotion other than a 10% bonus to weapon cd.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Polluting Collective 15

Oh god, BLT is all the way outside of the base. The closest colonist is JackSplater... who is a very slow mover. DoubleNegative is further but at least they don't have slow walker and have a bionic leg. And ugh, I hate when pawns drop literally everything when they get downed.

Wait why can't I have people gather to help with this? The button isn't there! Are you actually expected to deliver the baby right where the pawn falls? There was a button that would open an interface similar to starting an ideology event, you pick a doctor and other pawns to participate and there was different bonuses you could get to the delivery, including having the father present. But welp.

Breadmaster shoving paste down BLT's gullet while giving birth is certainly... something.

What we have here is a hybrid of pigkin and waster. For the psychite dependency we wont have to worry about it until the kid hits 13. Anyways lets take a closer look at our bundle of joy

:stare: Dear god what unholy abomination have we wrought?

Oh hey this finally happened. On polluted maps you can get these trees that will consume pollution. You can also buy seeds of this tree to grow them yourself. What I've read is that they can keep up with 3 stacks of tox packs worth of pollution. So its a way to get rid of tox packs without drop podding them or using the atomizer (and not needing to get to tier 3 mechanitors)

That said its getting chopped down. You picked the wrong colony to grow!

In other news, SIlentsnack is now immortal. The options on the right is being able to throw a fireball every 30 seconds which would be nice if we ever fought any humans. The left is resurrecting 3 days after death with the downside of basically becoming a psychopath. So Silentsnack takes after DoubleNegative now.

And just like DoubleNegative, the psychopath is teaching the youth. Tina is old enough to get out of the grow vat and can start learning things.

drat leeches keep doing their graffiti in the bathrooms :argh: This isn't some backwater 7/11 bathroom, this is a hitech bathroom with smart toilets and power showers!

Colonists keep leaving chemfuel in the doorway so the chickenlopes would run out and then the colonists would waste time bringing them back to the proper pen. A fence will put an end to that.

Ah hell

Our first failed animal. This one isn't hostile at first but well, it has a countdown to metamorphosize so.. let's just take care of it now, yeah? Its leaving icky mucus all over the room its in. They provide no meat or leather upon butchering by the way :negative:

That creature was meant to be a mate for this, a rabbitcat.

I'm glad I decided to go with good genoframes and not burn masterworks on this. So rodent hybrids will reproduce more often and quicker, this should get things going quicker for filling out the DNA banks. So with these and the insect jellies we have alpha, feline, insectoid and rodent DNA coming in. Boom and chicken banks are good thanks to that batch of 90 chickenlopes (fun fact: Even once you hit 100% you can still shove hybrids in there.) That leaves me with: Ursine, muffalo, canine, humanoid, equine, reptile and colossal. The question is do I want to combine those with avian/rodent for faster breeding times, or just pair them off so I only need to bother with 4 different hybrids. Its a shame that only tamed animals could be shoved into the databanks, and that the hybrids found in the wild all have greater scaria so you can't cure then tame them.

Theoretically this shouldn't go too bad... as long as I keep duplicating genomes having defects wont stop me. Except for the part where I need corpses and humans don't want to attack. Guess I could start using slaughtered livestock corpses instead.

Really the only corpses I'm getting are drop pod- wait what the gently caress is with this person's arms?

:razz:

This pawn is from a friendly colony though, so I must resist the urge to capture them. I need whatever trade partners I can get right now out in the isolated north.

Alright, times for NGDB to reclaim lost honor. Time to ace this shooting competition!

:arghfist: :mad: :arghfist:

Enjoy the 100 bags of toxic waste assholes!

The defenses grow as I throw another punisher down. I also throw down some sandbags, supposedly turrets get protected by them now. And if not well, the sandbags should reduce the effects of an explosion. Out here where there is nothing to worry about being exploded. And yes, the sandbags are made out of mycothread. You doubt the great fungus?!

Hrm, you have to actually harvest the jelly from these guys. Was hoping it was a passive drop thing. Ah well. I should have our youth get points into animal skills because its getting incredibly labor intensive to harvest everything.

Clearing out another vault and hey here is something new. Bio battery tanks. Throw a body in and the body slowly disintegrates into power. But eh, having to constantly bring downed, but not dead, bodies into it is tedious. I think the math worked out to 1kg of weight equals 1kw of power and that gets used up per hour. So a human would only supply 1kw of power for 3ish days.

Then there is this ancient workshop. It has recipes for the machining table and smithing table all in one. Provided its bigger than both of those tables combined...

By the way, unlike every other "ancient" item you'll find all around, a good amount of the stuff in the vaults can actually be broken down for stuff. Usually steel, but still. Better than breaking down a container that takes up 2 squares and get absolutely nothing out of it.

I made some adjustments to the genetic tailoring room. Had to make it bigger, now the second pod gets the effects of all the equipment. I believe all I need is 1 more item and I'll have everything for this.

DoubleNegative goes through the pod and the options are no longer needing to eat or having a 50% chance of refunding constructed items. Well DN doesn't do construction so... The downsides on both is the one where mental breaks will be a tantrum, which shouldn't happen ever.

Breadmaster also goes through the pod. His options are also no hunger in exchange for never doing any labor ever, and the ability to heal another pawn but I can no longer directly command him to do stuff. I go with the second option.

"The farm seems to be getting hot."
"Looks like those uppity bugs are trying their old tricks again"
"D'oh hohohoho!"

Now its not only our colonists who can get upgrades with all the bionics and the genetic engineering. This is a modded building, along with a smaller version for small mechs, that can upgrade our mechs. We pick what would we like (ranged, melee, armor and so on) and after delivering materials we can chuck a mech inside and wait a few days. As for what I'm upgrading, well we'll see.

Huh, didn't think you could mount the rabbitcats. Speaking of, I successfully managed to create another 2, and both were female. Soon those databanks will fill up.

ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod

Oh you... you... absolute beautiful people

Its... so beautiful :cry:

And now we have a bunch of bodies :razz:

So not only do the ancient generators not need maintenance, the toxifiers don't either. So I'll just encase them in some armored walls and let the toxifier help pollute the outside. Looking at this, I'm gonna extend some walls to the left to a nearby hill, that way enemies can't duck behind this when heading towards the tunnels. If you were wondering how I'm getting power from this, I have a mod that lets me build underground power cables so they cannot be attacked by raiders.

A solar flare hits and I want to show the difference between when the colony has its lights on and when they shut off. God this event sucks. Needless to say it also knocks out the punisher turrets. And then you get all these notifications about how reactor cooling is low and how you need to power the gene banks and the nutrient paste dispensers stop working.

Here is a better look at Anderson, now that he is a kid and not a baby. He doesn't look quite as hosed up ghoulish as he did as a baby, but buddy that hair style and color. You look like an old lady.

And here is our mech that was upgrading. Thats right, our own blaster centipedes. Now the AI can see how fun it is going up against nothing but centipedes :argh: I can do this same upgrade several times to level it up. I wonder how high it will go. Imagine, centipede blasters with half the aim time.

Now tier 3 is the last tier in vanilla biotech. But with mods we can go even beyond tier 3. This beamcaster needs to be researched and needs your typical steel, plasteel and advance component. And uranium, which is becoming an outright rarity in this colony currently and is causing me some worry. How about we give this thing a test run?

Pfffft, only 4 mechs? I'm insulted.

So this guy is basically Diabolus +1 Pft, don't let this thing fire...

Speaking of firing, I handed off NGDB's pistol to Fajita Queen in exchange for their AMR. NGDB is already firing at the mechs. Reminder that NGDB has that one trait that doubles range

Holy poo poo. And ignore that closer red dot, thats just a downed mech that I keep forgetting to finish off. NGDB can pick off anyone anywhere on the map from the safety of the embrasures.

Pathetic. But hey, tier 4 mechanitor upgrades here we come!

Now aint this multitasking. Tina is getting taught lessons while Costa is watching work be performed, all at once! And finally, one of NGDB's children looks like them. Was gonna cock my eyebrow if there was a third child who was pale with sandy blonde hair.

Was going through a lab and a thrumbalope appeared. Couldn't run away so I stood and fought and well its gonna die in a few hours. Lets see what the explosive radius looks like.

I am sorely disappointed. I was expecting a hole in the lab.

Mech cluster drops in and I'm impressed and annoyed that the walls are just right to make it impossible for the punishers to fire at the the capsules. Not that they could thanks to the overshield. Also there are 2 starfires in this cluster. Also also the turrets can reach to just next to the punishers.

I hack one starfire and bring it over to be detonated. Waiting for cooldowns to finish up to handle the other.

Some traders pass through (and avoid the cluster) with a breeding pair of Radyaks.

Uranium is in dire need here. These are a very welcome addition to the colony. I do have a long range mineral scanner up, but no one is using it because on the research job its very low priority and since I got a mod that lets pawns do research through ways besides the bench, its never being used. And I can't tell someone to scan on it because they'll get a single percentage then stop.

I need to expand the barn, so I can get more hybrids breeding.

This little path on the south side of the colony hasn't been used for much. I wall it off, run a nutrient paste pipe down here and bam, the dedicated hybrid pen.

Note to self: Lock doors so you don't have colonists going the wrong direction and getting jumped.

After clearing out the cluster I do some work on the outer perimeter. I start building some sections of roof and then place asphalt under it to give my colonist a faster path out here. The roof will prevent snow from building up and slowing everyone down. Then I have some outdoor ground lamps set around, these are from the glass+lights mod, which cost some glass and metal. They don't require any power to keep lit.

I also carved some paths in the mountain itself. What was supposed to happen is that colonists would go through there to reach the kill tunnel. Though really that tunnel hasn't really been getting used lately, all the battles happen outside.

Going through another vault and Fajita Queen is looking to become the Groove Queen. Also going through these vaults, I'm starting to accrue a good amount of these point defense turrets. So far there has been no drop pods dropping into the outer perimeter, but never can be too careful... Beyond that, having turrets plopped around the outer walls will help with sapper raids, since they try to keep away from turrets. Sharp eyed viewers may have noticed unpowered turrets spread around, thats why. If the turrets are off the raiders wont attack them, but they still determine path finding for sappers unpowered.

Interesting, an infestation popping up in the southwest tunnels. I haven't really reinforced that area. But thats fine.

Lets me do this ol' trick again! Lot of bodies after this... Don't want to deal with them all.

I think this is the first time I've used Fajita Queen's fire ability. I should probably line up this tunnel with wooden stuff so I can torch it all next time this happens.

I already did something similar in the southern tunnel where tribals keep appearing.

I toss a single one of the beetlefleets into the storage bank and holy poo poo masterwork animals are worth 25% of the bank?! In other words, I just need either 2 masterwork paragons to fill a single bank, or 8 masterwork hybrids to fill 2? Hot drat, I need to make a bunch of masterwork frames!

Wish I knew that before I made these two!

Lizard people. You know, politicians :razz:

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Not sure if I'm at all qualified to be a midwife, but them's the breaks in Toxcolony

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Is there still a research project for the Rimatomics TACS that lets it automatically jam incoming drop raids and scatter the pods all over the map?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So far an upgrade I see for the TACS is one that will warn you about incoming raids. Maybe once I research that I'll be able to research the jamming thing?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Leal posted:

So far an upgrade I see for the TACS is one that will warn you about incoming raids. Maybe once I research that I'll be able to research the jamming thing?

Yeah it's buried in a bunch of baffling UI jank like the other Rimatomics 'upgrade' projects you have to select the building and there's a button to toggle the feature on/off, and if I remember correctly there's a TACS research project that doesn't correctly say what it does and it instead enables the jamming toggle on either the TACS or SACS, not sure which.

spoilers I guess, Rimatomic be jank

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 18, 2023

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

silentsnack posted:

spoilers I guess, Rimatomic be jank

name one huge mod for Rimworld that doesn't introduce jank (on top of the jank Rimworld already has).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Polluting Collective 16

The youth of the colony are doing their part in defense of their home mountain. Reminder that enlistment is mandatory. Anyways what is that they're standing in front of?

The HEL will intercept mortar shells fired in its range. This is currently a blueprint, it'll need to collect combat data, either through incoming shells from the enemy or from the colonists firing shells in its range. Now I don't have to worry about the helicopters getting blown up.

Have I mentioned that I've been placing asphalt roads throughout the tunnels? Pretty much all the stone and dirt floor has a walk speed of 87%, the asphalt goes up to 100%, so any bit of extra walk speed to increase effeciency.

So its nice that DoubleNegative is cutting through some permasnow that has 52% walk speed instead of moving down 2 more tiles on asphalt :mad:

To try and find more uranium I've turned off most research benches so pawns will actually start using this to scan for uranium. Even if I order a pawn to scan, they'll stop after a few minutes and head back to a research bench.

Shortly after this screenshot is taken a deposit is found... and I realize something. Everyone has the awful mining gene, cause I've been having Ashsaber do all the mining. So I'll have to drag Breadmaster out for mining, but also Ashsaber will contribute quite a bit of weight to the helicopter. Also I'll have to bring someone else along for security since Breadmaster cannot fight...

Really should've had at least one colonist who could mine. Especially with traits that increase mining yield. Really should've kept that one moleman pawn.

Oh god, it has finally happened. Pawns will start to develop age related issues when they age up. But this might be more related to DN needing to sleep on the ground while waiting for the uranium to be mined. Anyways, one advanced bionic spine coming up!

Bad back in particular sucks rear end because it gives a 30% reduction to movement speed.

I've gone ahead and set up some remote explosives and gas barrels in that southern cave entrance that raiders keep coming in from. I've actually had this here for a while, but so far no one has actually bothered coming in from here.

Behold, one of the final tiers for the helicopters mod. An osprey! This provides 2.3kg of weight, compared to the 1k our current heli has. It can also hold up to 18 people. All the salvage we can bring home with this!

This was quite pricey, it needed 3k steel, 1.5k silver and a whopping...23 uranium. Oh well, I could use all that stuff I mined for an extra punisher turret.

But thats not all, we got a new vehicle here... wait why does it says Senrath. Oh, actually this is a piece of mobile artillery armor. This gives a massive reduction in movement speed, -0.85. With the rifle, Senrath moves at a slow 3.15 speed, compared to over 5 that most other colonists have. But thats what riding the blizzarisks are for.

Anyways, this piece of armor can be reloaded with a high explosive shell and can fire off a round.

Imagine being locked in a vault, hauling stuff around while your coworker makes bad jokes all day.

Got the secondary barn all laid out with hay. While the rabbicats are multiplying good enough, I'm not liking the speed the politicians lizard people multiply. It just may be faster enough for me to create more through science.

Only the best education for the children of the colony.

Oh god dammit :negative:

So when you make an animal with 2 genomes, they will be heavily dominated towards the primary one, but there is still a chance of becoming the secondary. And yes, there is a difference between primary muffalo and secondary bear and vice versa. On one hand, these will both be able to contribute to both types of DNA, but they cannot breed. So I'm now having to make a second pair and just hope that they'll become the type I want them to be. Have I mentioned it takes 3 days just to make the stem cell and another 3 to go through the womb? Anyways...

A nice bonus to the bearffalo is that you don't have to worry about setting up a pen for them. Only provides half as much milk however... provided said milk has nearly double the nutrition as the bearffalo

Needs to be penned, has a bonus to carry weight in caravans. Provides more of a less nutritional milk, but both of these beast's milk are nothing to the power of blue milk.

Oh hey there

Once we make the archocentipede we need this womb to actually birth it. May as well grab this while we're in town...

Oh god dammit

Maybe I should bring like an actual army over when I do these instead of just 2 colonists.

Anderson is hanging out with someone under the osprey. Well, actually there is no one else here. That boy aint right.

And now that we have this osprey, we can finally start flying our mech army around. Bringing NGDB and all the mechs weighs more than the previous helicopter's max weight.

Now it is I who is the sicko dropping mechs on the enemy!

This was for a quest, getting paid 2 nukes for this. Not bad. Unfortunately I learned that the osprey is quite the gas guzzler. Yeah even with chickens that produce chemfuel and having that infinite chemreator going, it takes several days to top off the osprey for one trip. Really wish I installed a chemfuel mining mod... it would've matched with this pollution playthrough

In a bid to get some extra uranium I've researched deep drilling and built a drill. This is just for steel though, but hey, whatever. Sadly by default mining mechs can't use this.

..... And we don't have any miners.

I've built a few extra chargers up front and set up a zone to keep the combat mechs hanging around there. Not only will this get faster response times (my god, nothing is as painful as the centipedes missing out on fights completely), but means they'll get in the helicopters faster.

Well hot drat, look at that uranium amount! I loving love nobles I want to kiss them on the mouth!

Yeah alright dude you've been here for a loving hour calm the gently caress down

Oh you loving people

Well I guess at least in these cramped corridors that the enemy misfiring rockets become significantly more deadly to themselves.

And right as this is happening a mech cluster touches down right next to a bunch of insect cocoons that formed from a retaliatory toxic dump. But as far as I can tell there is no timer or even a proximity trigger on this, so I now have a gaggle of sleep mechs and insects ready and waiting. I guess this why those raiders came in through the tunnels.

:lol:

Now they are being smart and not attacking the cluster so...

Little Tina here is going to start a loving war

:sickos:

Must loving suck to be these guys. Mechs all around them and if they do kill them, the rapidly approaching insectoids will

Mech drop pods dropping in over the insects

Big ol scrum up here with the raiders launching rockets right into the backs of their friends and wait, that name in that group. That isn't?

Look everyone, its Tynan! His childhood of punk states that he made money selling cigarettes that were just grass clippings to other 15 year olds.

Well poo poo, no more Rimworld DLC :smith:

Centipede on spider violence (its funny because the centipede isn't the bug and the spider isn't actually a spider)

By the way my game is running at about 10 FPS

The raiders seem to be pulling ahead, somehow they still have people with rockets on them.

Not that the insects are out or anything. Really the mechs are getting absolutely pulverized.

Then the raiders all break and run. The handful of red circles are the remaining mechoids and all those empty circles are the insects. I guess the insects would win out, what with the copious amounts of pollution out there and insects getting buffed from it.

I'm kinda glad this happened because the insect meat dried up in the barn. Its kinda funny actually, you can manipulate pollution to force insects to show up to then feed your animals who provide food for your colony.

Oh hey look who dropped on in. Time to get someone who can mine!

Dear god they're dropping behind the walls!

Its a nuclear attack!

Oh wait, this is the reward for the quest.

Oh jeeze

Good lord. 200 of the absolute weakest mechanoid. Well, they may be using minishotguns but thats still 200 shots of buckshot going on. Thankfully the punishers do some good work against massive amounts of weak enemies

God so many bodies, mechs and insects to sort through. The snowy wastes is a complete mess and my game is running like complete rear end.

I've had a wretch hanging around and they got a gene that'll be very useful for our future recruit, increased mining yields! This will provide 20% more stuff when mined. Provided most stuff on the map is mined and deep drilling has a specified amount that you can mine out of it...

Here is something I've had sitting around for a while. It takes in spent nuclear rods and chemfuel to produce plutonium. I've had to wait for a while for a rod to be spent enough to start actually using this. Just keep in mind I have this going on in the background.

I seem to have misplaced my screenshot of this character falling in from a drop pod. Welcome to the commune Vivian. Now drill forever. I guess you do weigh less than Ashsaber, so you can be useful in flying out to places that have things to mine.

Some new animals in the pen, paragon horses. Combining of the same gene will create a paragon of that type. I only have 3 gene types left, so I decided paragon horses were the best option (also I don't have the other genes)

Its a horse thats really good at horse stuff. What do you want? Also gently caress, they're both males. gently caress you Randy, give me back my excellent genoframes :argh: And the mechanite booster :argh: :argh:

Well, paragons are worth more DNA slurry and an excellent paragon is 25% of a DNA bank. I just go ahead and make 2 more with a stabilizer to ensure they don't fail and chuck them into the DNA storage

Provided most things don't last long on the outside, I do start fortifying the tunnels because well, may as well. I set up trenches behind the embrasures, it provides more cover but reduces the range of weapons. To build these you need to place it on "dig-able" terrain, to make the cave floors dig-able I have a mod that lets you place down dirt paths, which you can then dig.

I also go ahead and make another position to fire into the killbox from, this way I don't have to worry about any hostiles standing too far back for the people on the right to hit.

Hey festival time! Remember those? This here is a firework festival. I've been wanting to have this happen for the longest time but the festival has to happen outside, and unfortunately the game will not let pawns participate if the weather is considered too dangerous for them. Considering the weather is often -60, there isn't much of an open window to actually do this. So it is weird that its the middle of the night and somehow its become a balmy -30

And then the visitors caught hypothermia :unsmith:

It took a quadrum to finally get processed and now we have some plutonium and some nuclear waste. Need to find a way to dispose of this stuff...

:)

Well that isn't good, at least it happened in the same room as the other doctors in the colony. Looks like someone is due for a replacement heart. Oh and Breadmaster has a bad back so they also need a new spine.

This may be why Breadmaster had a heart attack. How can you not with such potential power in our hands? We can launch this inside of our own map or into another tile and it has 2 modes, low yield will detonate in an area while high yield nukes the map

We'll need to make several components to form a missile, first we'll need 4 fuselage, 50 steel a pop. Then we need 4 rocket engines, 25 steel, 10 plasteel and 1 component each. And finally the warhead, which requires 100 steel, 5 components and 120 plutonium. Erm, so far I have 16 in stock and I have 4 rods waiting to make more, which will be 48 plutonium when they process. I need to wait for rods to get to 50% fuel remaining before being able to make more and well, its been this long and I only got 6 of them ready to go? I'll need to run the reactors far higher than what we need to get one of these built in a timely manner.

While waiting for this, I've continued extending out the walls to force raiders to take the long way into the killing range of the punishers. I plan on having the walls move inward with an opening the in center. This will also have the benefit of having the enemy bunch up as they get inside. To ensure the colonists and any friendlies passing by aren't hampered I also put down some armored uranium doors so they can walk through.

Well, kinda. There is a big ol propane lake up there that is impassible, so they wont all meet in the center. Still, better than how it was before.

We have 2 remaining genes to make hybrids with, and I have been missing this last one for the longest time. Unfortunately we have to do something drastic to finally get it: We're gonna use a genome excavator on a venerated toxfox. Well Grunt, everyone hates you already for your looks, you may as well be the one to do this terrible deed. Thankfully we only need to do this once to be able to make extra genomes.

gently caress! This immediately bites me in the rear end because of ONE hopper I forgot to properly set to not allow toxic meat in it has now poisoned every single solitary food vat. Everyone is getting a negative moodlet from this. I have to empty them all out, and lose all that food. All 375 meals :negative:

lol, lmao even

Here is the latest edition to our menagerie of hybrids, a canine/colossal thrumwolf.

Quick thing with highly damaging attacks. Its a shame I got into this stuff really late, wouldn't mind keeping a few for non DNA data bank purposes. And my god, I'm trying to finish this up as soon as possible. What I'm going to start doing is using the stabilizer boosters to ensure 100% creation of a hybrid and use masterwork frames and throwing them straight into the databank. This should gives 25% of the way. Gonna need a lot of bodies though, it takes about 64 corpses to make a masterwork frame. Then I'll need another 6 bodies to make duplicate genomes as well as the template genome. Of course there is the issue where I don't really get any human raiders, so maybe its time to start going out and taking out bases and bringing bodies home.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sorry for the long delay (4 months already?), getting busy with other stuff and sitting around waiting for hybrids to breed and uranium fuel to be spent doesn't keep me playing for very long. I'll try to power through this the next few days to finish this colony up (or until I decide to just dev mode everything)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's been very entertaining so far, waiting a bit between updates is well worth it :)

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
You done a list of mods being used yet?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Polluting Collective 17

:siren: Gonna be a long one because I refuse to post another update until I finished :siren:

Lots of hostile bases being set up somewhat nearby.

Time to bring the war pigs machines crawling. Though it looks like the enemy are already on the ball as there is a mortar shell flying overhead in this shot.

Oh jeeze this place is full of wargs!

And then this happened. Remember how hybrids have a finite lifespan and they'll start catching incurable diseases? Well it begins. All those explosive chickens are gonna slowly die out

But I have a plan

Go forth chicken!

Success!

Wow, that was clearly too effective. Now we're going to end the entire world.

Now I clear out the base and I realize something. Everyone in this war party is slow. Add that combat mechs can't haul and it'll take forever to actually haul the bodies back into the osprey. So next time I'll need to bring humanoid pawns in and have the mechs stay at base for defense.

Silentsnack goes through the pod and the options are either 300% learning speed with the downside of all mental breaks being tantrums and cold resistance (no hypothermia, no slept in cold thought, -1,800F minimum comfortable temp) with the downside of having their immunity speed gained reduced to 25%. Yeah at this point I'm not really all that hot on the gene tailoring stuff and kinda stop bothering.

Look at this ugly thing

We could make joints out of its feathers and there is even a dependency gene for it, if you wanted to add to your pawn's drug intake. As I'm not using fertility unblockers I cannot have this lay eggs and create more. Into the DNA bank it goes. No particular reason I went with avian, just whatever extra genome I have laying around will be used with the one I need.

For now I'm gonna focus on bear/muffalo/human/reptile because they're just so slow in breeding.

Next up we got.. :gonk:

Science has gone too far. We need to throw this thing into the data banks ASAP

:eyepop: Well don't mind if I do! If a masterwork hybrid makes 25%, then a legendary should make 50% in a databank. I can make 2 legendaries and fill a databank in one go.

I carve out an extra crop area. Most of it is for rice to help with feeding the animals as the insectoids stopped appearing and they are out of meals. Then I set fire to some toxpacks in here to create an area that is polluted to grow toxistrand. They're basically devilstrand but polluted, and there is a specific reason for this. They can be made into a carpet which has a walk speed of 45%. So I can line this up in the killbox to make enemies move even slower. It does require 12 plants to grow though, I had to implant Jacksplater with another xenogerm to remove the awful plants that I had on him to make this possible.

New hybrid, this one a horsebear. This was cooking before I got the legendary frames, but still, this is the second masterwork and we're 50% of the way through ursine DNA.

Just had an invasive thought, there are no liger hybrids in this modpack. Lost opportunity IMO.

Since pawns don't keep to the paths I've placed down for them I start using our absurdly excess steel (over 6k) to lay asphalt everywhere in the tunnels.

And hey, lets get some more steel. Time to summon some more mech bosses, this time a war empress.

She drops in with 5 melee mechs and is a melee mech herself. Be a drat shame if there was walls with holes in them that let us shoot them without being hit back in turn.

And not only that, she touched down in front of a new weapon from Rimatomics. It may look like the punishers but this is..

This here is a marauder. It doesn't use any ammo, just energy to fire its shots. Lets give it a test run, as it aims there is a charging sound effect heard...

This fires an entire salvo of shots, not just a single one.

Oh, oh that is a problem. It doesn't fire over the embrasures like the punishers do. Dammit, and you have to deconstruct these to move them. I'll need to bring these right up against the embrasures.

Holy loving poo poo the empress can fire at range and loving killed Grunt in a single shot. We do have a ressurection serum on stand by so I get BLT on the way with that.

Other than that, the Empress is taken down and drops a tier 5 chip that we can study. Can't wait to hit the highest tier of this stuff!

Would it be appropriate, when resurrecting an eldritch, to say things like "C'thulhu f'gantha! AEEI AEEI AEEI"?

I don't think Tina should be taking shooting lessons from someone who recently died. You would've survived if you had guns like these! *flexes*

New abomination hybrid

*tilts head* Any of ya'll seeing a shoe here? Anyways, legendary animals get 9 years before the genetic disease kicks in. And I was right, a legendary is 50% of a DNA bank. I made 2 of these so thats the reptile DNA handled. That leaves ursine, muffalo, rodent, feline, humanoid, canine and colossal. And I feel its going to be me having to make masterworks, cause even with the rabbicats (who are breeding way faster than the muffobears and lizard humans) that are good rank, its still slow going.

This stupid rear end in a top hat activated a mech cluster that I was ignoring. Thanks hoss. You loving dickhead. The worst thing though is that this is behind a wall so I can't fire my punishers at it. Besides that, it also has a high shield so I can't have NGDB plink away at a distance. Hrm...

I launch over a beetlefleet, a chickenlope and an antigrain warhead to the overshield generator... and missed. Hard.

But it was close enough!

Sure enough, the mechs come running out and come in single file once they get around the wall, which works great for the punishers! It may be hard to make out but I now have a 4th one under the mountains. And here is another downside with the maurader: It doesn't have (possibly) unlimited range like the punishers, it can only hit just past the right most green circle in this image.

Side note: Another item that is dropped from refining nuclear rods is depleted uranium, which can be used to make sabot rounds. So I set it to turn all depleted uranium into rods. And I gotta say, I only have 30 plutonium at this point but nearly 400 depleted uranium. I'll have enough sabot rounds to destroy the world before I get a single nuke.

Gotta give love to the mechs who can just barge into a cluster and take out all the turrets and crap hanging around in them with no fear from inferno turrets and can be easily fixed up from all the chip damage. Also less likely to get insta killed from the charge turrets.

We have 2 new couples in the colony, Senrath hooked up with BLT and Chaos hooked up with Vivian.

Hybrid status: 3 excellent quality thrumbowolves. All 3 are female :argh: And you can't duplicate colossal genes, you need to extract them from thrumbos (or find them in labs) :argh: :argh:

Something I completely forgot is that when you click on the rimmatomics bench you can get an option to call in a trader for 1k silver. It takes 2 days to arrive and its worth it. Uranium, steel, plasteel, uranium pellets, plutonium and hell you can even purchase nuclear warheads! For uh, 15.5 thousand silver. So I'll just swipe all the plutonium the ship has. And all that chemfuel too. Since I have a shitload of plasteel and components from raiding sealed vaults I can trade those in for some quick cash.

While this can get plutonium in quicker than using fuel rods, this ship only had 20 units. Sheesh, having to call in this many ships, with each one requiring 1k, it might just be as cost effective to purchase the warhead straight out. It takes 2 weeks to be able to call in another one. Yeah just buy the warhead.

Free archotech arm and infinite chemfuel generator you say? ChaosDragon gets the arm, as they have a missing finger. May as well.

How about respecting one's privacy in the bathroom?

Yet another hybrid

Its really ugly but kinda adorable. I'm sure you can guess I'm trying to finish up the ursine genes next. Just need 1 more masterwork hybrid. Need more human corpses... my plans for going out raiding is currently on hold because half the colony got sensory mechanites. And no, firing wastepacks at hostiles isn't causing a retaliatory raid cause they're all god drat cowards.

Well hot drat, trader showed up with 2 legendary frames for sale. I'll go ahead and use these to fill up the muffalo databank, then I think I should be able to finish the remaining ursine with the bearffalos we have now

... well I would, but apparently my dumbass stopped duplicating muffalo genomes and I have none. Guess that is just going to have to wait until they breed. Instead I'll do a human, which will get to 78% and I should be able to finish with the rest of the lizard people I got, then the other will go into canine. Since the game is being uncooperative in giving me a male thrumbwolf, may as well try and reduce how many of those I'll need.

Side note: There is roughly a thousand toxic wastepacks outside because the raiders are a bunch of chickenshit cowards who refuse to do a raid and they just keep sending more wastepacks back at me. So fun fact: When a tox pack pops it apparently isn't restricted to polluting the area around it, it has started filling pollution inside the base itself. And its annoying that its doing that because there is still plenty of unpolluted spots outside. And I'm concerned about this hitting the animal pen and poisoning all the animals. Or the crops. gently caress.

Oh and its shutting off the various toxic generators. I start slapping down extra pollution pumps. And I start loading helicopters with as many packs as they can hold to drop off elsewhere.

Oh and the northeast corner of the colony is full of bugs ready to pop out.

Did I mention that there is another global warming going on? Well there is, and now we can go back to having the place cold again. Its like that joke from Futurama, where global warming was cancelled out by nuclear winter. But its volcanic winter instead.

Really happy I set up those doors.

YOU GOD drat FUCKINGFADDFL;GAJFDAG :byodood:

There is so loving many :sigh:

As the volcanic winter has darkened the map, I just wanted to show off the lighting of the colony.

D'aaaaaw

This wittle thing is going to be turned into DNA paste :3:

Now this on the other hand :froggonk:

Into the DNA bank it goes!

At this point I'll need to wait for another 2 lizardmen to be born and I'll finish that DNA bank. Besides that, six more remain. Getting the colossal is gonna be a pain. Praying for more biolabs to appear.

Its so satisfying hearing the thunderous roar of 5 punishers and seeing the heaviest mechs get obliterated.

Got this lovely quest. Human raids? Why yes please! Also these are all melee raiders for some reason.

And another....

HEY! I thought these were supposed to shoot down drop pods :argh:

And just to rub salt in the wound, the turret in this image ate about 5 rockets. I mean, I guess thats better than the colonists getting shot with rockets.

But finally, human corpses for more genoframes. Over 110 corpses! Thats almost 2 masterwork frames! Hey remember how I said I was going to do raids for bodies, and then wanted to use the bigger helicopter because the osprey was a gas guzzler, which meant I couldn't bring the mechs and so I was going to bring a bunch of regular colonists along? Then the fiber mechanites hit? It just ended for everyone. Randy really wanted those to last the maximum time.

Another addition to the rodent bank. 61% now. Those rabbicats need to breed faster.

Really I should've made chicken versions of every hybrid, considering how quick the boomachickens maxed out. Oh well, into the DNA bank. In fact I just throw the rest of the rabbicats and the lizardpeople into the banks, its faster for me to just make new ones then it is for them to breed. I get to 88% feline, 85% rodent and 96% humanoid :negative: Guess I'll need to pump out 2 poor quality hybrids to finish that last one up. Then just 1 masterwork of rodent and feline to finish those. Still waiting for a biolab so I can get some colossal genomes.

A hostile caravan walked past just in time for a manhunter pack of 33 blizzarisks came crashing through. :lol:

Alright lets break up these genetic experiments with the final tier of mechanoid boss.

Considering how ludicrously huge mech raids are currently, don't know why I don't summon bosses more often.

Hrm, not liking the description of this. Namely the hate aura thing. I hope it isn't like that one monster mod I used in the viking colony where it just inflicted mental breaks with no defense outside of having 0% psychic sensitivity (which was never explained)

The acid gun in action, looks like the mechs shields protects against it. It also seems to be shooting some purple stuff, though again it is stopped by the shields.

Well, that uh. Wasn't all that exciting. Also the weird white lines, I have no idea whats up with that. It seems to happen when a munifex's coil gun is fired. And it sticks around until I reload.

A pyschic ship fell in and after a day of the siege breaker bombing all 163 militors I send Jack on his mighty steed to break the ship, because while the siege breaker would hit the small militors it couldn't hit the large ship chunk.

I was hearing some weird noises during this and realized that neat, the blizzarisks will also melee hostiles. I didn't know mounts could do that, next colony I'm definitely gonna try out a cavalry group.

And now that we took out that tier 6 mechanoid boss I can make this suit for NGDB, a suit of mech breaker armor. This gives an additional 24 bandwith and a shield. I would say it also provides better defenses but well, Senrath made a normal quality one like he doesn't have 20 crafter skill :argh: So it barely has better protection than the excellent quality mechlord suit. There is a helmet and even some upgraded bandwith packs but that requires farming more of the mech boss parts and eeeehhhh. At this point I'm just waiting to fill up the DNA banks.

Body processing is going well. Might be time to make a second tailor bench that is only for breaking down clothing. Hell I even added some clothing racks that will hold just tainted clothing because the warehouse is also stuffed with tainted clothes.

:gonk: Quick, throw this thing into the DNA bank! I also made another manchicken and that is it for humanoid DNA :toot:

No bio labs have been showing up, frustrating as I still don't have any muffalo or colossal genomes.

Oh hey at some point Senrath and BraveLittleToaster hooked up and are now tying the knot. Congratulations!

I just wanted this image where everyone is facing in one direction, except for Andersen. That boy aint right.

Also BLT deciding on their wedding to talk about slurs with a 10 year old child. Maybe thats why Andersen is facing away, he's embarrassed by his mother.

A little foggy rain in exchange for the ability to call in a tornado? This is like being paid to test nukes on your islands, but we're already a toxic cesspit of a colony so they had to choose something besides that.

A wastefallo self tamed, probably cause of hunger. However I am so grateful for this absolutely beautiful creature. Why?

:getin: And I am making drat sure I duplicate them!

More creatures for the DNA banks. The catalope having a chemfuel hairball sounds like something it'd be fun. Also I dig the catsplosion reference.

But hey, thats feline and rodent DNA filled :toot: I make another beaverwolf to finish off canine :toot:. I may as well use all the thrumbowolves in filling the colossal bank. Still keeping them around though just in case I manage to get a male thrumbowolf. You can't duplicate the colossal genome, so breeding is pretty much required.

:worship: Thank you kindly trader! I would gift you a bunch of items but Rimworld is weird in that you can't gift items that aren't something that the trader is willing to buy or sell. So I go ahead and just toss all the thrumbowolves into the colossal bank and all the bearffalos into the muffalo bank. 2 excellents and 1 good thrumbowolf got me to 32%, so 1 legendary and a masterwork will get me to 100. Putting in all the bearfallos at normal quality got me...18%? Eighteen?! Well, whatever. I can use the other legandary to shoot it to 68%, then maybe an excellent and a masterwork to finish it off.

And look at this, a delivery of colossal genomes!

And they helpfully walked up to the embrasures!

The finale canine for the data bank. A wolf that breathes FIRE. drat thats metal, shame I want the colony to end real soon. Also the whole "Will inevitably die" thing means keeping one would be a pain in the rear end.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner we create a gigantic turkey.

I'm joshing ya, its the last entry in the ursine DNA bank :toot:

Yeah at this point I'm just waiting for the hybrids to come out.

Milking chunky milk out of an animal sounds absolutely horrifying. I make a masterwork thrumbear and so finishes the colossal bank :toot: Just need to finish ursine and.. rodent? I must've put the wrong animal into the wrong bank or something. 2 more masterwork frames and I'll be free.

And to get those frames I need more bodies, time to attack- Whoa, this place is cool. I wish I could make a base on a map like this. I had Gun, Fajita Queen, Double Negative, Silentsnack and JackSplater do these sorties. We were able to bring back 7 bodies while using the medium sized copter. The Osprey is just too much of a gas guzzler to go flying around.

I want to point out here that I have a straight, direct path with asphalt set up with its 100% movement speed. For whatever reason instead of going directly south, Silentsnack (and possibly others) are take this roundabout path, not only taking longer distance wise but they're walking on rough granite with 87% movement speed. I built these roads for peak efficiency :argh:

W-why are you doing this :( Its even worse here, packed snow slows you down by half!

I uh, what the gently caress is this description? Shove it into the DNA bank. Now to wait for bodies/trader/bio lab to get these last 2 masterwork frames in.

Tina is now an adult. Got a good choice of skills, though the traits on offer weren't that great.

There are a set of implants for mechanitors that give them buffs, like this gestation processor that increases gestation speed. It can stack up to 6 times and each one requires some components and a tier 1 chip. Other implants include ones that will increase control groups by 1 (and a higher tier one for another group), the ability to remote repair and adding a shield. That last one sounds neat, but it requires the mechanitor to concentrate on the mech, which means no fighting. Maybe Breadmaster could use it. Anyways, why am I finally putting this on so late? I have something special cooking. With all 6, it takes 13 hours per cycle. It used to be 1.7 days per cycle.

Also the energy link implant is a spine bionic that buffs shields, but sadly it doesn't buff the one that the mech breaker armor provides.

Andersen hits adulthood and look at those traits. That boy aint right.

And finally... it is time. Its gonna be a few days before this growth cell finishes.

In the little maze over here I put down a bunch of military turrets, powered off so raiders will not shoot at them. I'll wait until they're halfway through before activating. I have a LOT of steel and components, so its fine if they get blown up.

I've been sealing off the caves and putting down trenches behind the embrasures. I've also put down straw matting and incendiary IEDs to burn raiders. In other tunnels I've started placing down armored plasteel walls.

Leading to the kill tunnel I have these two obelisks set up. They're from rimatomics and they fire energy lasers at targets. Whats great is that they do it automatically, no need to man the SCAS. I've positioned them here because the walls from the geothermal generator will protect them from long range fire.

I've also put down small shield generators in front of the punishers, protecting them and providing some cover to those behind the embrasures. I've put down platforms, which gives pawns on them increased range but they lose cover. Ideally the shields will protect them. These are from the vanilla security expanded mod.

To help with power I've turned off the entire genetics lab, both the hybrid and the super soldier stuff. And really, anything else I'm not using.

:getin: 15 days on the clock!

There are now 7 punishers in total in the colony, and I started placing down some uranium slug turrets as well. May as well use up all our steel and uranium, eh?

Well that didn't last long, at all :mad: Also not digging how close raiders are choosing to drop in.

I dropped some toxpacks around the bend and blew them up to trigger an infestation. Another layer of defense! Thankfully the cocoons took so long to pop up that this mech raid got out of range, keeping them from popping too early.

How appropriate that the first raider who is going to pop this off is literally named Horror.

:munch:

Sadly the insects aren't content to just hang around where their cocoons were and I have to finish them off. I set up the mechs to shoot at them as they get close and hello, what is with this purple sphere?

:getin: Yeah thats right, my own starfire. This thing would've taken like half a year or more to gestate if I didn't shove all those implants into NGDB! It also required 2 tier 5 and 1 tier 6 chip to make.

Oh but its so worth it

And any insects the mechs don't kill get hit by the obelisks over here.

Prissy is now an adult :toot:

10 more days...

A centurion, apocriton and of course a bunch of centipedes.

And immediately another mech raid drops in. Hrm....

Wait, there are survivors? I want my 16k silver back :argh:

At least its just scythers that survived, all the centipedes and bosses died. Gotta get the walls rebuilt though.

I've been pumping up ranged combat upgrades onto Tallow, I think it caps out at 10. And if thats right, Tallow could have a 50% reduction to aim cooldown and aim time with 200% accuracy. I would go for the last one, but each upgrade cycle is 4.5 days. Speaking of days, 7 left. But my god. The game is running at 20 FPS... in single speed. It goes to single digits if I try going double speed.

The human raids were nice while they lasted. All one of them.

The melodic sounds of the punishers firing help put the colony to sleep.

drat sap raids. Also man, imp raids are kind of a pain in the rear end aren't they? Thankfully I got mechs who are on top of extinguishing fires, but having 75 people who show up who each can spit fire....

:supaburn:

Oh hey, looks like I'll finally be able to use those bombs!

Or I would, if t hese guys weren't just standing still and chucking grenades, setting fire to the straw and prematurely detonating all the explosives. God dammit!

And then a bunch of friendlies dropped in and proceed to OPEN THE DOOR LIKE A BUNCH OF IDIOTS AND RUSH INTO THE FIRE :argh: :argh: :argh:

I'm annoyed, I really wanted those explosives to work :sigh:

And looks like that was the last raid!

How the entire colony looks at the end. I liked how I designed this one

The snowy wastes, full of green, toxic snow and the corpses of our enemies.

The outer wall, with all of the punishers who lived up to their namesake. And the helicopters. Shame the osprey was such a gas guzzler that I only used it once.

The kill tunnel pretty much stopped being used once I started getting more punishers built. Never got to flick on all those turrets.

Never used the fallback points here. Ah well.

The farms that kept the colony fed. As you can see there is a bunch of food strewn about, the fridge is absolutely full.

The barn, where giant chickens provided eggs and meat, giant bugs gave delicious blue milk and goats with uranium crystals provided the uranium to power our weapons. Remember the exploding chickens? Good times.

The nuclear generator area, along with the research and the weapons console. In the end, at 50%, we were generating nearly 25k extra power. I kept the power generation high to refill the batteries quicker after each weapon was fired. We have 48k power in the batteries.

The warehouse and crafting area. So many cowboy hats I never got around to selling.

The hospital and prison. I was expecting to pull in more prisoners to extract genetics, but I guess that doesn't work out too well when there are only so many xenotypes with set genetics. I could've used prisoners to break gene packs but since that relied on RNG and you could instead extract hair color, I didn't want to bother.

The utilities closet, with the 22 circuit breakers that keep the colony from blowing up in case a zzt event happened!

The mechoid, gene bank, hybrid creation, supersoldier, research and gene room. With special guest appearance by the bathroom. The unbuilt thing in the mech room is a mech upgrader for smaller sized mechs. Never built it cause well, why upgrade those when I can upgrade bigger mechs?

NGDB's mechs were stationed at the walls, since the game is ending I don't have to worry about their batteries running out.

Can't forget our animal buddies!

Barracks/rec room with cold beers, a cabinet full of the finest yayo and a foosball table. A fridge absolutely full of fungus, meats and corn all processed into 5 containers of delicious paste.

And the colonists who made it all possible!

... ????

Its stuck at 95%. I can't do anything on it.

*turns on dev mode and sets the archowomb to 100%*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V52QTyn6e-A

Look at it! Its finally here!

You can draft it and move it around. It has 200% sharp and blunt armor. It has 1136% armor penetration. It does 757 damage. It moves extremely fast. It also has an ability.

Farewell!

Final statistics:

Colony lasted 11 years
Final wealth: 9.5 million. The archocentipede contributes 4 million of that
Most kills: DoubleNegative with 405 kills
Most deadly mech: Bios with 105 kills
Most damage dealt: JackSplater with 145.5k. I have no idea how the only melee guy managed to do so much damage, considering how often Jack would sit out battles since they were all shooting fights. Second highest is SilentSnack with 85k.
Most damage taken: DoubleNegative with 941 damage
Most valuable pawn: Breadmaster is worth 10k silver
91 Frostbound Behemoths contributed blue milk to the colony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whew, finally finished this one off! Again, sorry for the delay. But man, this last update I just couldn't use any speed up function, so everything was single speed and the game still ran at slow FPS and lagged, making each game day last close to an hour. I'll be writing up an epilogue to show off stuff I couldn't get around to. Then I'll start making my mod list for the next colony, gonna be a few more days for that. If you want your name added for that, leave a post!

King Doom posted:

You done a list of mods being used yet?