Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for July, 2023?
This poll is closed.
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 28 40.00%
:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) 2 2.86%
Alex Shelley (Impact World Champion) 3 4.29%
Asuka (WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
:rockstar: Yuma Aoyagi (Triple Crown Champion) 2 2.86%
Yuji Nagata (FORMER Triple Crown Champion) 1 1.43%
:sparkles: Trinity (Impact Knocksout Champion) 1 1.43%
:gaz: Deonna Purrazzo (FORMER Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
Emi Sakura (Super Asia Champion) 1 1.43%
Hagane Shinnou (FORMER Super Asia Champion) 1 1.43%
Blake Christian (GCW Champion) 1 1.43%
:science: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) 0 0%
Madoka Kikuta (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
Mizuki (Princess of Princess Champion) 2 2.86%
T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) 0 0%
:btroll: Yuji Hino (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
:gritin: Chris Brookes (KO-D Openweight Champion) 22 31.43%
:mets: None of the Above 6 8.57%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well, despite the heroic efforts of champions of democracy like Sandman McMahon, it was another depressingly low turnout of votes that left us one short of a childish sex joke in June. But forget all about that, because the New Japan and AEW deadlock was finally (kinda) broken: Athena won at last! After multiple 2nd and 3rd place finishes, there was no denying Athena's ascendancy, and the ROH Women's Champion finally got her long overdue victory. MJF and SANADA took the 2nd and 3rd places respectively, but for now and always, June of 2023 belonged to Athena!

Please vote this month :shobon:

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Jake Lee (NOAH), Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's), MJF (AEW), Roman Reigns (WWE), SANADA (New Japan), & Tam Nakano (Stardom) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. Roman Reigns still hasn't defended his belt since Wrestlemania, and reportedly said in the promo leading to his upcoming defense in August that the title doesn't actually mean anything and he'll still be a big deal without it. Great story. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) - After one hell of a street fight with Kiera Hogan, Athena was still facing perhaps the biggest threat to her ROH Title yet when she sent into Death Before Dishonor facing former New Japan Strong Women's Champion Willow Nightingale. The first women to main event an ROH PPV, the two more than delivered with one hell of a match that saw Athena - to the surprise of more than a few - not only defeat Willow Nightingale but do so by referee's decision after using a submission that put Willow's lights out. Athena won Champ of the Month in June, and her win over Willow and historic main eventing of the ROH PPV might be enough to make it two in a row.

:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) - Most of his month was taken up with Blood and Guts in AEW, but when a misunderstanding between Claudio and angry goblin man PAC caused the Blackpool Combat Club to lose the big blowoff match with The Elite, Claudio put the title on the line so he could get his hands on PAC and punish him. The two fought at Death Before Dishonor, and while the match was the third choice of the original build (first Eddie Kingston, currently wrestling in Japan in the G1, then Mark Briscoe who had to step back to get much needed surgery) it ended up being a great match on a great PPV. Claudio retained the belt, but the hatred between himself and PAC did not end, in fact only further spiraling out of control and dragging in the Lucha Bros, Jon Moxley and.... the Best Friends!?!

Alex Shelley (Impact World Champion) - Having taken the title from Steve Maclin who in turn won the vacant belt after Josh Alexander had to drop it due to injury, Shelley has a big task in front of him ensuring his reign doesn't get remembered with a asterisk next to it. Defeating the (now formerly) NWA Star Nick Aldis might have helped, followed by taking the title to an MAW event the next week to defend against The System, before returning to Impact to wrap up the month with a win over Brian Myers.

Asuka (WWE Women's Champion) - Asuka faced former Champion Bianca Belair for the title on Smackdown in the middle of July. The match ended by Disqualification.

Yuji Nagata (FORMER Triple Crown Champion) - Enjoying a late career resurgence as the Triple Crown Champion, the man most commonly today associated with New Japan put in a valiant effort at the top of the currently smaller All Japan promotion and did no disservice to the long lineage of great Triple Crown Champions of the past. But just like his status as a "New Japan Dad" would suggest, Nagata has always been willing, able and successful at helping develop young talent... and boy does All Japan have one!

:rockstar: Yuma Aoyagi (Triple Crown Champion) - At only 27-years-old, Yuma may be the older of the two Aoyagi brothers, but he's still young and with a long career ahead of him. That career already includes a reign as Triple Crown Champion, and a clear direction from the promotion that he's going to be one of their signature stars. Perhaps perversely the biggest sign of this was that arguably the biggest star in Japanese wrestling today - New Japan's Kazuchika Okada, whose character is currently a guy making a point of trying to quash bright young talent because he finds their lack of deference irritating - made a point to single him out for "mockery" while teaming with Aoyagi at the All Together Again show in June, pretending he had no idea who he was, a clear sign that this was actually somebody to watch out for. Aoyagi's capture of the Triple Crown would suggest that is the case, and even if he struggles at the top of the card... well, he's 27, he's got plenty of time to grow into it!

:gaz: Deonna Purrazzo (FORMER Impact Knockouts Champion) - Purrazzo might have perhaps felt secure for the first time in a long time after finally putting the biggest threat to her title - Jordynne Grace - in the rear view. But then the master of the rear vi... Jesus Christ, WWE loving sucks. Anyways, Purrazzo may have been a great champion, and Impact may not be TNA anymore, but that doesn't mean some unpleasant reminders of the past might come along every so often:

:sparkles: Trinity (Impact Knockout Champion) - It would be unfair to paint Trinity in the same brush as those WWE cast-offs or former stars who (reasonably) took a big payday to come be big fishes in the small pond of TNA. After taking a principled stand alongside the former Sasha Banks and leaving WWE, the former Naomi looked like she might struggle to find a permanent home, with AEW already straining at the seams with their roster, New Japan dried out by what it cost just to get the former Sasha/current Mercedes Mone as the centerpiece of an effort to grow a women's division particularly within their US Touring. But Impact was eager to have her onboard, and there doesn't appear to be anybody begrudging her arrival or the fact that she got the (relatively) fast track to becoming the women's champion.

Hagane Shinnou (FORMER Super Asia Champion) - Having beaten former champion Baliyn Akki to get the belt, and defeating long reigning champions Akki and Fujita at the same time in a Triple Threat, it seemed that Shinnou had a clear path ahead, especially after defeating new challenger Chie Koishikawa... but there was one great foe left to face to secure the title...

Emi Sakura (Super Asia Champion) - ... and he didn't! Emi Sakura's return to Japan from her latest excursion to America saw her set herself even more on top of Gatoh Move than she already was, adding the Super Asia Title to her reign as Queen.

Blake Christian (GCW Champion) - Continuing his heavy schedule of defenses since winning the belt, Blake Christian successfully defended against Richard Holliday, Beastman, MAO and Shigehiro Irie over July, putting the "World" in World Title by defending in Tokyo, Japan as well as New York City in the United States within a week of each other.

:science: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) - In a rather bizarre mixing of heel/face dynamics, Toni Storm and her fellow Outcasts came out to harass fellow heel Taya Valkyrie, presumably because Valkyrie is Canadian and the thought was she'd be a hometown hero in Calgary. The two wrestled at the Battle of the Belts event in the middle of the month, with Storm defeating Valkyrie and looking set to carry her reign through to the enormous All In show in Wembley in August.

Madoka Kikuta (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Kikuta saw his first successful defense of his title at the start of this month, defeating former fellow Open the Dream Gate Champion Yuki Yoshioka at Dragongate's Kobe Pro-Wrestling Festival to hold onto the belt for at least a little longer.

Mizuki (Princess of Princess Champion) - That loving rabbit did it again, incorrectly retaining the Princess of Princess Title against Maki Itoh and ruining everybody's good times goddammit I'm not salty this is an objective and detached review of the event! Defeating Itoh and destroying her dreams yet again, Mizuki would go on to see her own dream denied when she was knocked out of the first round of the Princess Cup, denying her the chance to be a 3 time winner of the tournament. Good!

T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) - After a six week break from defending his title, T-Hawk opened July with a successful defense of the G-REX title against Soma Watanabe, at GLEAT's 2nd Anniversary show in Tokyo.

:btroll: Yuji Hino (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) - The Mountain That Chops grinded his tectonic plates into DDT's Peter Pan show full of confidence. After all, as talented as his opponent was, they were also simply not on Hino's level, as his easy dismantling of his opponent had demonstrated in the weeks leading up to the show. No no, Peter Pan was definitely going to end with the mountain continuing to cast a shadow over all, while his opponent went back to fun mid-card matches, the odd self-produced show, and doing English Language commentary.

:gritin: Chris Brookes (KO-D Openweight Champion) - The Mountain collapsed! After years in Japan and DDT in particular, Chris Brookes finally saw the culmination of all his hard work and dedication to the promotion made good. In the main event of the biggest show in DDT's calendar, Chris Brookes - noted for funny feuds with mascots, bemused English commentary pairings with the likes of Baliyan Akki, and in general perhaps considered more of a comedy wrestler - is the KO-D Openweight Champion, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer or more deserving guy. And what did he do after winning the title? Why he did guest commentary on a TJPW show, of course!

:mets: None of the Above - If you've been driven to despair by being failed by your favorites again and again, or you just want to see the results, then None of the Above is the option for you!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thought for sure I would vote for Athena, but can't deny how happy I was to see Chris Brookes finally get the big win (so excited I forgot to put the emote next to his name on the poll! :doh:)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

eh's a good bloke

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Thought for sure I would vote for Emi Sakura, but can't deny how happy I was to see Chris Brookes finally get the big win (

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is tough. I haven't seen Hino Brookes yet so would feel cheap choosing that. Instead it comes down yo 2 names based on July matches: Yuma Aoyagi and Fujita "Jr" Hayato, LIDET UWF champion in GLEAT.

But Yuma is on the poll and Hayato isn't so imma go Yuma. Watch All Japan. For the 2nd year in a row he's been putting on an extremely solid argument for Wrestler of the Year.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

we all agreed this is All Japan's month

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All of Japan's hero... Chris Brookes!

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Gotta go with the long lad.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Any other month I'd go with Yuma because the boy's killing it both as Triple Crown and double Tag champ, but this is Chrissy B's month

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

giving all my votes to chris brookes

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Voted for Athena because she seems pretty cool and I like her style

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Athena 2peat for the match against Willow

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lotta shameful folks not voting for this beautiful boy

https://twitter.com/OBEYBrookes/status/1686410174465232896

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Normally, I'd be all for people having their own opinions, but this is Chris's month, and that's an objective fact.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I voted for Athena but I'd also be happy with Chrissy-B

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would have voted for Chris Brookes if he wasn't all the way at the bottom of the poll where I was too lazy to scroll down to, so if he loses there's nobody to blame but J-Ru

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

If Chris Brookes wanted me to vote for him he’d wrestle in AE Fn W!!!! (roh is also acceptable, but barely)

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 2, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1 day in, 4 to go, and while last month's winner Athena currently holds the lead it's very close between her and DDT's Chris Brookes. You have 4 days to vote, and I know there's more than 68 of you, so vote!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's over

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

(so excited I forgot to put the emote next to his name on the poll! :doh:)

Hey, a mod fixed this? Thanks!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Don't forget to vote, for at least one of these champions, their time on this poll is drawing near an end!

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Voted my heart

Voted Shinnou

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You've got about a day and a half left to vote, and the numbers are loving awful which I guess has the "advantage" of meaning any single vote is going to have a wildly oversized affect on the final result. Given how close the #1 and #2 position is, that's gonna make a big difference.

Please vote :smith:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what can i say? all the effort and there are 25 more people looking at this forum right this moment than who have even voted at all. maybe it's time ppl get a taste of how bitter it truly is to take traditions for granted.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Athena ftw

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I voted “none of the above” because the champion on a show I actually watch, MJF, wasn’t there. Ah well.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

If there aren't at least 70 votes by the time the poll closes, Punch Sport Pagoda's Pro-Wrestling Champion will be reconsidered.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I voted “none of the above” because the champion on a show I actually watch, MJF, wasn’t there. Ah well.

Have you considered watching something where they have a good champion? I hear All Japan is worth watching

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i somehow didnt see any title matches in july so i cannot vote in good faith.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Have you considered watching something where they have a good champion? I hear All Japan is worth watching

i've considered it, and im sticking with AE dub

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

who ever voted for Nagata :respek:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
As happy as I am for Brookes, he won the title in late July and didn't have a chance to defend it before the month was up. I hope I'll be voting for him come August's poll but for right now I gotta go with Athena again.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i've considered it, and im sticking with AE dub

L

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is that the best you've got?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Have you considered watching something where they have a good champion?

It's not my fault they incorrectly didn't have Maki Itoh beat Mizuki for the title :argh:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Last hours to vote, it's still super close and the vote total is still spectacularly, depressingly, frustratingly, infuriatingly low. So if you're going to vote, now is the time to do so. If you're not going to vote, then I don't want to sound dramatic but you are the worst person to have ever existed in the entire history of all possible universes forever.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

12 votes are required in the next 6 hours to ever see this thread posted again.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

12 votes for the sake of 15 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

11. It's too late but 11 more votes please. Immediately