Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Al-Saqr posted:

are there even rules in the Tau Codex for Human Auxilaries?

There were some Chapter Approved rules way back in 3rd-4th Ed times but they haven't been an 'official, on the table' thing for a while. Mostly it feels like GW hasn't come up with a niche for them that isn't 'Fire Warriors, but worse' or 'Kroot Carnivores, but worse', since bundling a Gue'Vesa conversion sprue of techy Tau bits with a Cadian box like the Brood Brothers kit would be an easy addition.

sharkmafia posted:

human auxiliaries would probably just use fire warrior rules, i think ive seen a tau army with that conversion before

This is the way that most Gue'Vesa conversion projects get used on the table, yes. There's enough compatibility between the Fire Warrior and Guard kits (though a bit less so with some of the newer kits) that you can switch the parts in and out without it being too much of a headache. Would be just as viable to use them in-game as an Astra Militarum army though with some Tau symbols converted or painted in, and go down the route of "just because we all defected to the Greater Good and got some new bits of uniform doesn't necessarily mean they gave us access to the more powerful guns".

Lostconfused posted:

I haven't looked at how to play Tau at all though, so right now I'm thinking off proxying Tau for guard so swap in a Crisis Suit for a Scout Sentinel

Funny you should say Sentinels, since I used them as the basis for my Crisis Suit conversions:

I went to the full extreme with this army of using the Tau rules as a template for "a bunch of high tech gun-focused nerds in battlemechs" but removing the T'au models from the equation entirely, sourcing the parts for the conversions from literally anywhere else in the GW model range, and writing them up as a lost human civilization coming back with bigger guns to reclaim what the Imperium took from them.

I have 4000pts or so of this absolute madness built with a goal to get it all painted by the end of the year:

I will make some sort of effortpost about this one day.

Lostconfused posted:

Playing Imperial Guard instead of Astra Miletarum because it's T'au Empire :getin:

For The Greater Guard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Gue'Vasa as a Kill Team seems like a no-brainer

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I'm not sure we need another "guardsmen but slightly different" team but if we do they'd be a great fit

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Roller Coast Guard posted:

There were some Chapter Approved rules way back in 3rd-4th Ed times but they haven't been an 'official, on the table' thing for a while. Mostly it feels like GW hasn't come up with a niche for them that isn't 'Fire Warriors, but worse' or 'Kroot Carnivores, but worse', since bundling a Gue'Vesa conversion sprue of techy Tau bits with a Cadian box like the Brood Brothers kit would be an easy addition.

This is the way that most Gue'Vesa conversion projects get used on the table, yes. There's enough compatibility between the Fire Warrior and Guard kits (though a bit less so with some of the newer kits) that you can switch the parts in and out without it being too much of a headache. Would be just as viable to use them in-game as an Astra Militarum army though with some Tau symbols converted or painted in, and go down the route of "just because we all defected to the Greater Good and got some new bits of uniform doesn't necessarily mean they gave us access to the more powerful guns".

Funny you should say Sentinels, since I used them as the basis for my Crisis Suit conversions:

I went to the full extreme with this army of using the Tau rules as a template for "a bunch of high tech gun-focused nerds in battlemechs" but removing the T'au models from the equation entirely, sourcing the parts for the conversions from literally anywhere else in the GW model range, and writing them up as a lost human civilization coming back with bigger guns to reclaim what the Imperium took from them.

I have 4000pts or so of this absolute madness built with a goal to get it all painted by the end of the year:

I will make some sort of effortpost about this one day.

For The Greater Guard!

drat this fuckin owns. Incredibly cool stuff

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I'm not sure we need another "guardsmen but slightly different" team but if we do they'd be a great fit

guardsmen/stormtroopers with a gimmick is KT's sweet spot. they could keep adding them forever as long as the gimmick is interesting and the models are cool.

novitates do not play like breachers, which do not play like kasrkin, which do not play like exaction, which do not play like scouts, which do not play like blooded, which do not play like chaos cult, which do not play like wyrmblade, which does not play like vet guard. and all of these are basically-humans who have carapace or flak armor.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Those battlemech humans look seriously cool! Please do show us some more detailed pictures.

---

I recently played a couple of 1k games with my old mech inf IG, and it became abundantly clear that they simply cannot operate without free hunter-killer missiles. They still might be terrible with slightly improved AT capability, but maybe slightly less so? I went digging through my bitz and found a surprising number, enough to equip my Sentinels and Chimera.

Converting the Chimeras to fit the older box launchers requires a bit of work, given that there's no space to mount them to the turret directly. I finished the rough build for support struts, should be mostly fun detailing from this point onward. I'm pretty happy with the design.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Graham McNeil writes dumb schlock but I like him anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Axetrain posted:

Graham McNeil writes dumb schlock but I like him anyway.

they all do. it's fine.