Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

When you unironically back up your claim with “many people are saying this”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
A lot of these lovely HCs that get fired got their jobs in the first place because they were good assistants under good HCs so it's probably fine to hire them if you have a HC who knows what they are doing and can oversee them.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

a neat cape posted:

Am I the only Chargers fan happy about the Trestman hire?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Bears have a top 10 offense while he was there?

There's an argument he was the missing piece that finally enabled Anthony Calvillo & the Alouettes to go on a mini-dynasty run with a 2-1 in the Grey Cup from 2008 through 2010, which were Trestman's first three years with the team. Those years were all top-5 campaigns for Calvillo, with 2008 being his best ever season.

Then the core aged out, and after two more solid but non-championship years Trestman went to Chicago. He eventually returned to the CFL after the Bears fired him... and won another Grey Cup in Toronto!

I would say that he's shown himself to be a savvy offensive mind throughout his career. That being said, Toronto went from champs to the basement in 2018, and Trestman hasn't coached since then asides from a short stint during the pre-covid XFL reboot.

If he's been staying active as a consultant type then I guess it could yield something positive for their offensive scheme? Starting out hot and either gracefully declining (Montréal) or faceplanting (Chicago, Toronto) has been his MO as a HC, so Senior Offensive Assistant could be the less important role that allows him to help now without risking the future.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i hope harbaugh starts the nfl chapter of the school for coaches who cant coach good. bring in all the hc wash-ups as regional vice president of assistant offensive consulting.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

OneMoreTime posted:

The thing about hiring Staley is that it feels like what they did when they hired Wilks. Like yeah, he has a defensive pedigree but are the Niners going to force him to run their scheme? It didn't seem to work out the first time but then again maybe what Staley did in LA is at least similar to San Francisco.

The thing about Wilks is, he was so inexperienced with the Seattle cover-3 system the 49ers use that he was still learning it in October.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/steve-wilks-says-hes-still-learning-the-49ers-defensive-scheme

(Grant Cohn, but the Q&A should be genuine)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Mike N Eich posted:

Local radio guys started calling Marc Trestman "Dr. Death" and ever since then I can't imagine a better name for the dude. He is, without a doubt, the single weirdest guy I've ever seen in the NFL. I'm thankful he's back in the league and far far away from the Bears.

Anyway, enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEwsGwFjqDs

He's def quirky as hell, but that was endearing during his time in Montréal. When he got the Bears gig he actually wrote back to folks who sent him messages of support, and apologized for the delay in responding lol (yeah I sent him some emails, boy I was so free of cynicism in the halcyon days of 2013).

It was really too bad he floundered in Chicago, it's always cool seeing a CFL alum stick in the NFL. Nathan Roarke might hang on, but I can't recall anyone notable since Brandon Browner and Cameron Wake that played 1+ seasons up here before becoming well-known down there.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

a neat cape posted:

He was good for one year with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey

Good thing the Niners also have a lot of talent on defense then!

But yeah, I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it. Ultimately I guess I'll trust Kyle since he's got a good track record with his assistant coaches. I personally think firing Wilks was kind of reactionary but it's not like it was completely out of the blue, there were grumblings about that side of the ball all year long even though the end results were still mostly good. Just gotta hope that Hufanga comes back healthy next year and they can add some impact guys in the draft, I guess.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

So which teams have Coordinator positions still open?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yes he’s Pete Carroll’s son

https://x.com/mike_e_kaye/status/1758246469369253963?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I don't think the Trestman hire is too impactful but lol the guy openly admitted that he failed to develop Jay Cutler while still employed with the Bears which was one thing he was hired to do.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
To be fair, it’s more that Jay Cutler failed to develop Jay Cutler

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Grozz Nuy posted:

Good thing the Niners also have a lot of talent on defense then!

But yeah, I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it. Ultimately I guess I'll trust Kyle since he's got a good track record with his assistant coaches. I personally think firing Wilks was kind of reactionary but it's not like it was completely out of the blue, there were grumblings about that side of the ball all year long even though the end results were still mostly good. Just gotta hope that Hufanga comes back healthy next year and they can add some impact guys in the draft, I guess.

It would be nice if Drake Jackson turns into something next year

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1758595594908500263?t=_Nnv_e5uRsmFAWfhT2HKBw&s=19

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
wow that's a name I haven't thought about in a really long time

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What does a defensive quality control coach do?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Double check that everything on the play sheet matches what it should be? First article inspections during practice? I have no clue.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Afaik quality control coaches are primarily scouting opponents and self scouting, but also whatever else more senior coaches want them to do.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Yeah it's a lot of tape grinding as I understand it: both of opposing teams to research gameplans/tendencies, and past game film to help the DC/position coaches help clean up stuff that needs working on. Basically, they do a lot of the nitty gritty detail work for the DC so they can take that data and make the bigger picture plan out of it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

"get back" coach

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Nervous posted:

First article inspections during practice?

incoming materiel fractional inspections (breaking out the calipers to try and figure out cooper dejean)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

"get back" coach

How much do they legit get paid? I feel like I’d be willing to switch careers to hold a coach back every Sunday.

I probably couldn’t hold a Dan Campbell or McVey back, but I’d have no issue with shoving a 72-year old Belichick back for 250k/year.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

didn't that Get Back coach do something naughty?
also what a dumb thing to need

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its not their only job.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Edit: nm

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

BlindSite posted:

Its not their only job.

holding back the coach shouldn't be anyone's job

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I probably couldn’t hold a Dan Campbell or McVey back, but I’d have no issue with shoving a 72-year old Belichick back for 250k/year.

Imagine being Jim Harbaugh's get back coach. Even if you can handle him you just have to be constantly vigilant.

But the get back guy's job isn't just the coach, players love to crowd the sideline too and go crazy when something big happens, and if you get in the ref's way on the sideline and bump him or trip him you just blew up a big play.

They're usually S&C coaches or QC coches during the week I believe.

Fat Jesus posted:

didn't that Get Back coach do something naughty?

Yeah one of them did (maybe it was SF when Harbaugh was there? Somewhere with a super aggressive coach) turned out to be a sex pest after getting a few nice articles written about what a pain his job was.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Imagine being Jim Harbaugh's get back coach. Even if you can handle him you just have to be constantly vigilant.

But the get back guy's job isn't just the coach, players love to crowd the sideline too and go crazy when something big happens, and if you get in the ref's way on the sideline and bump him or trip him you just blew up a big play.

They're usually S&C coaches or QC coches during the week I believe.

Yeah one of them did (maybe it was SF when Harbaugh was there? Somewhere with a super aggressive coach) turned out to be a sex pest after getting a few nice articles written about what a pain his job was.

It was the LA Rams Get Back Coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Rath

He was arrested for sexual assault, but he was ultimately acquitted.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

i liked when mcvay had a get back guy that looked like his clone

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Anderson Koopa posted:

It was the LA Rams Get Back Coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Rath

He was arrested for sexual assault, but he was ultimately acquitted.

Wait the defense was “I was too drunk to have criminal intent” and it worked???

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Wait the defense was “I was too drunk to have criminal intent” and it worked???

He claimed that a stroke plus the alcohol rendered him not in the right mind.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fat Jesus posted:

holding back the coach shouldn't be anyone's job

I blame Brent Venables and, by extension, Dabo. HES JUST TOO INTENSE TO BE HELD BACK.

But yes, you're a grownup and a millionaire. Keep yourself on the sideline.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anderson Koopa posted:

He claimed that a stroke plus the alcohol rendered him not in the right mind.

always remember your stroke symptom acronym BE FAST

Balance
Eyes
Face
Arms (and legs)
Sexual assault
Time!

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

always remember your stroke symptom acronym BE FAST

Balance
Eyes
Face
Arms (and legs)
Sexual assault
Time!

:drat:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Bienemy finally lands at UCLA as OC

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Bienemy finally lands at UCLA as OC

From being touted as the genius behind the Chiefs and the heir apparent next great NFL HC to the offensive coordinator for the Vandy of the Big Ten.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He shoulda stayed in KC. He'd probably be a HC after winning another Super Bowl.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think it's a great job for him. He's also associate head coach if that means anything.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Maybe I’ve just been gaslit by the years and years of him not getting a shot at the big chair but at this point it does feel like bienemy must be a really bad interview or too clearly a prick

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1761838019244331256

I believe Desai was the last "big name" coach still out there (we already knew that Belichick/Vrabel/Carroll were taking the year off).

With nearly every staff finalized, that about closes the book on the 2023/24 coaching carousel. I'll be closing this thread soon, but just wanted a couple more days so people can get their final thoughts in -- or unless there's some crazy news, like, Bill joining his son on the Washington staff or whatever.

Once again, thanks to everyone who makes this project exciting every year, and keeps me coming back. I truly appreciate the kind words. For now, here's my quick and dirty watchlist for the 2024 hot seat, which is obviously going to change a lot depending on how their offseasons go.

Early 2024 watch, plus One Big Question

Robert Saleh -- Running out of time and excuses. Does his savior QB still have the juice?

Sean McDermott -- Have the Bills gone as far as they could with him?

Doug Pederson -- Late collapse won't be soon forgotten. How much is he really getting out of this roster?

Mike McCarthy -- How the hell has this not happened already?

Nick Sirianni -- Team openly quit on him. Almost a miracle he's getting one more shot. Does he have any answers left?

Brian Daboll -- Reports of staff turmoil revealed a potentially shaky foundation. One-year wonder?

Matt Eberflus -- Bears showed signs of life late. Will that matter if they're starting over at QB again?

Dennis Allen -- Fake Kneelgate left a bad taste on the season. Does the locker room still trust him?

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
My team signed Jim loving Harbaugh

:)