Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Nosre posted:

And then 8 wins last year with the Patricia disaster and again one of the worst offenses in the league. Yes obviously Bill's GMing and drafting is what got the roster to that state, but he's still been too good to have the bottom fall out.

Bill's still squeezing the most out of the garbage roster for sure but they also got very lucky with schedule difficulty last year. this year's looking ROUGH for all the AFC East. idk that he's hitting 8 wins again this year, unless they win every must win game and then another 4-5 toss-ups against significantly more talented teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Forrest on Fire posted:

I would prefer a loud public embarrassment to someone like Kliff who tricked them into running the Mike Leach offense for multiple seasons in the NFL

I also don't think he has anyone on defense who could run the scheme he was supposedly hired off of, that just so happened to have some of the most talented defensive players running it

I mean say what you will but Kliffs record is gonna look a lot better than what comes next.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I actually think Saleh's a decent coach who's been horrifically hosed by QB. Like he hasn't even had a Desmond Ridder level QB for his whole tenure. It's been genuinely the worst dudes in the league (including backups) starting for them. I could see him getting fired this year but I feel like he'd deserve another shot somewhere

I'd go so far as to say literally just having Brissett they'd have a decent chance of getting a playoff win. Regardless if the Jets and Bucs both fire their coaches this year I wouldn't be mad if the Bucs hired Saleh

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Will the Broncos fire coaches mid season back to back :laffo:

(no, but man they really don’t look any better than they did under Hackett so far)

Idk, they actually look much better on offense but now their defense is garbage. It also looks like trading all those picks multiple years in a row is loving hurting them badly at times.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Lmao god drat PRater

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

the ideal coaching structure is hiring some scrappy young wunderkind offensive coordinator and then hiring some grizzled old defensive coordinator to hold it down

where is wade phillips

honestly after McDaniel (phins) last year and seemingly Steichen this year, I'm all in on the young creative offensive dude as HC. if nothing else they seem willing to try new things and make games actually fun to watch

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Even if it's a race thing, I still wonder why guys like Vance Joseph, Demeco Ryan's, Robert Saleh, and Anthony Lynn got jobs before Bienemy

Just wanna point out that those except Lynn are defensive guys.

The racism in the league is worse on the offensive side of the ball bc for ages its been purely the purview of former white qbs.

At this point there's no excuses, he's clearly a very loving good offensive coach, he's got Reid's explicit backing for an HC position (which btw Reid's tree is pretty loving good so that should mean something), and most importantly he's got Sam Howell looking competent and dangerous.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 2, 2023

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Is anyone at a high risk of a mid season firing? I thought the Bears coach but the Washington win might’ve saved that for a bit.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

eh I still think Peyton's a good coach, he's walking into an absolutely bare cupboard and a significantly worse defensive unit from last year but its good for him to get humbled a bit here

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I just really hope they cut bait on Zach Wilson this offseason and I'm worried that they are talking themselves into thinking he's a long term solution at QB. And I have no faith in Douglas to fix the QB position.

It’s going to be incredible to see Zach Wilson taking snaps again next year

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I just have no idea what Douglas and Saleh think when they see the way they have to play with Wilson. Is this how they want to win or do they realize that they need to not have the worst QB play in the NFL at some point in their tenure running the team? I literally have no idea.

You’d think purely from creating an entertaining product on the field they’d know they need to change backups to add any amount of mystery. Instead they’re hard committed to shoving more miserable Zach Wilson performances down everyone’s throats. Or the real answer is Douglas is such a loving baby he’s unwilling to fully admit he hosed up that pick and is holding onto Wilson in the vain hopes he’ll magically get good

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hypothetically if your backup QB is getting starters reps and looks like the 25th-28th best QB in the league, that's somewhat acceptable? I'm sure Trevor Siemien isn't beating him out.

Sure, but he’s worse than that and if you have an old qb you should have an Andy Dalton style backup. A dude who could genuinely start.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

Feel the excitement of this year's coaching carousel.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1714004285028200772?s=20

He’s a white dude with HC experience coaching the best defense in the league, just like Dan Quinn he’s gonna get some interest from conservative teams.

But Ben Johnson and Bienemy are the two I’d want if the Bucs were looking for a new coach. Sadly Canales has been so good that we’re probably stuck with Bowles for another season. (Please just give Canales the HC job)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Benne posted:

Dan Quinn still can't get a job and unlike Schwartz he actually coached a Super Bowl team. I don't think many of these DC types are as hot as media members say they are.

Didn’t Dan Quinn turn down the Denver job last year? Or was that all agent bullshit?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Genuine question. Does anyone want a defensive HC in the modern NFL? Like are any of ya’ll chomping at the bit to hire Evero or idk who else is a hot young DC?

It just feels like you’re hoping for a miracle where they’re both still good at assembling a defense and at hiring OCs vs getting a dude who can actually coach offense

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Demeco’s been great and if Stroud keeps looking like this idk that anyone’s ever going to complain about Demeco as HC.

But my question is not “has a defensive HC hire been good?” it’s: Do any of you actually want your teams to hire a defensive HC?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Shinji2015 posted:

I would have no issues with Steve Wilks coming back to Carolina, but my bar for "good" is getting low at this point

But do you want Steve Wilks? I get the “sure fine, he’ll do” attitude but who do you actually want as a HC?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Ok leaving aside this being an unanswerable appeal to the opinions of a nebulous “fanbase”, how often are “fans” (or posters here) actually right about which coaches are going to succeed before they’re hired? Worse than a coin flip I’d bet, so…who cares? We have completely inadequate information to judge who is going to be a good head coach. Guys like Hue Jackson and Byron Leftwich have been in recent memory hot offensive coaching candidates

Oh I don’t much care about “being right” particularly since even our inadequately informed hit rate is at worst going to be the same as the hyper conservative owners who just love other conservative white dudes. We probably over index on aggressive, younger, and novel coaches vs the owners.

I’m more curious if there’s excitement within an informed football crowd for defensive guys or if its a lot of this:

FizFashizzle posted:

The Panthers probably need a boring few years of solid drafts, good coaching, not exciting football.

C-Euro posted:

Schwartz might be a good hire for a bad team trying to achieve mediocrity, but definitely a bad hire for a mediocre team trying to be good.

Source: his Lions HC tenure.

ozymandius1024 posted:

A dude who gets the most out of his roster and has the respect of the team? Yeah, I would want that.

I think not having Scott Fitterer assembling the roster and not having Tepper meddling is probably as important as any coach they could get though. Like obviously Dan Campbell is doing an awesome job in Detroit, but what does that situation look like without Brad Holmes knocking it out of the loving park?

So then, Panthers are hiring a new HC and you’re hooting and hollering for Steve Wilks? gently caress Ben Johnson, or any of these other younger offensive dudes, get me Steve Wilks. That’s you?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Benne posted:

I'm sorry that I don't have a more interesting answer to this. A lot of the most important things that make a good head coach -- building a culture, hiring a great staff, getting player buy-in, carrying himself professionally as the public face of the team -- have nothing to do with whether he's an offensive or defensive guy.

Personally I would prefer a CEO type like Tomlin, Harbaugh or Carroll (or to a lesser extent Bill, which let's not forget that the most successful coach ever is a defensive guy). But there isn't a one-type-fits-all approach to coaching, and trying to insist on one is a good way to box yourself in, or hire Josh McDaniels for the 12th time.

The CEO type is interesting bc it doesn’t seem like something you can tell on the first hire? Like first time HCs are rarely trying to do the CEO type approach at first, maybe Daboll went the CEO route but I’m struggling to come up with other examples for first time HCs. Then you always have the risk they go the opposite direction like McCarthy who went from CEO last year to calling the plays this year. Largely agreed on the CEO thing though, it does seem more stable if nothing else.

I don’t know that Bill, even young Bill, would be that successful in the modern NFL though. That’s sort of my personal thought process in general. The rules have changed a lot and more importantly, to my mind, is an HC needs to have an aggressive mindset and that’s incredibly rare for defensive guys.

FizFashizzle posted:

Ben Johnson already turned down the panthers OC position.

HC or OC? Wait he did turn down HC, you’re right. Well drat.

ozymandius1024 posted:

I'm sure you didn't intend it to come off as snippy (maybe you did :) ), but I suppose so, yeah.

What Benne said is probably where I land

I'm not going to poo poo on anyone looking to Ben Johnson or Eric Bienemy for their vacancy, I was just saying that I wouldn't have any issue with someone who is a DC and could be considered a retread like Wilks.

Less snippy and more the idea of being pumped about a dude as unflappable and sort of bland seeming as Wilks is very funny to me.

Fair enough though.

Nervous posted:

Give me Capers and give me death.

Hell yea, someone gets it

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I feel like Staley should’ve been fired last year and they just thought they’d run it back anyway.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Forrest on Fire posted:

How does this translate to Stefanski, LeFleurs, Anthony Lynn (Mike Shannahan disciple), and Arthur Smith

Arthur Smith is bizarre because he's an effective OC but god the HC performance is so uneven. There were stretches last year where he was clearly getting more out of the offense than he should but this year its terrible.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Shinji2015 posted:

How much of that was having a vet as starter in Mariotta? I feel things dropped off once he was gone, but '22 might as well be a decade away to me rn and I'm misremembering

I honestly can't tell how much is Ridder being an issue vs Smith. Like Smith hosed up so many playcalls last week he directly led to one of Ridder's INTs. The talent is definitely better, and they're in every game so there are some clear improvements. Idk the falcons are a weird team this year. There is no game on their schedule I'd call a guaranteed win or loss, that's how much variance they have in performance

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

epic bacon posted:

i do typically agree with this but it is interesting how the Rams were #1 in the league under Staley's tutelage and ranked in the bottom half the year before and after despite having Donald and Ramsey both years. maybe a Rams fan can explain more on why this was the case cause i do not remember what was different besides Staley

There’s a few interesting quirks about that season

- It was 2020
- First year with Jalen Ramsey, and they traded two of their other CBs away in the off season
- Last year with Goff and a more plodding offense

The team just looked very different in 2020 and played a more conservative offense with Goff so they got in a lot more low scoring games.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Armitage posted:

I just can't help but feel Daboll's seat should be boiling hot right now. Two fourth and 1s, two field goal attempts that didn't even come close by a guy that's toast.

Flip side he was playing his 3rd string qb on a terrible roster and still would’ve won if his idiot kicker could make 1 of 2 normal FGs

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

In case anyone was still pretending Sean Payton was remotely on the hot seat I think we can firmly shut that door now. Beating the Chiefs at home cure a lot of ills

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Todd Bowles. Fire him now.

Please don’t let us go into next year with him again. Anyone else, ideally an offensive guy

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Alaois posted:

We got this guy, Frank Reich, real offensive genius, he's yours if you want him

Also no more old dudes please, thank you

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Alaois posted:

I know he coaches like he's in his mid 70s but he's actually only 61!

I don’t want anyone over 50 at this point. Give me one of the good young offensive coordinators. Let’s do something different in Tampa.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Adun posted:

We need to talk about Brian (Daboll)

His starting QB came back from injury only to be immediately injured again and he’s playing a team that is on a high bc they got rid of McDaniels.

Idk I feel like Daboll is still a fine coach in a truly atrocious position between roster talent and injuries.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It's more that they raised expectations with an insanely lucky year last year.

Yea all that smoke and mirrors poo poo worked for a little stretch and made people think they were a real team, including their dumb GM.

Actually if anyone should be fired it should be the Giants GM. The talent on offense is horrendous

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Kirios posted:

Hey he’s quarterbackin’ over here!

*throws a terrible INT*

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I still think Schoen and Daboll are prime candidates to be safe since they haven’t had their shot to draft their QB. One beat writer suggested that Mara put his thumb on the scale after the playoff run last year

https://x.com/tomrock_newsday/status/1721352832690049119?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

There’s some deep cosmic irony that making the playoffs and winning a game is the worst thing that could’ve happened to the team in the long term

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

What'd he do now?

It needs to be said weekly

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Demanding the head of the GB DC has seemed a regular part of being a fan of this team for a decade

That was back when they had a HoF QB on the other side of the ball. Now GB fans get to enjoy the constant hell of having no real QB while the defense and offensive talent waxes and wanes entirely wasted

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I stand by it, he was way better than the last 3 Bama QBs. Not gonna matter when he gets ruined if they keep this up. I mean to be clear both Hurts and Tua needed new coaches and multiple years to look good so don’t give up yet. New OC and some real WRs maybe he turns things around.

I did prefer Stroud though, that I remember clearly just bc Young’s too small.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Also don't think Allen should be getting that much ire since the Saints are doing better than I expected.

Allen is very very bad and the Saints are only beating the absolute dregs. The man actively makes the team worse, hell there was a stretch late in the game with the Bears where they were only up 1 score and they kept punting on their own 40. It was maddening. As a Bucs fan I hope they keep him around bc that dude’s never doing better than like a 8-9 / 9-8 division win over a truly garbage NFC S division and even that’s his absolute ceiling

In general with the NFC South this year you gotta keep in mind we have the softest of soft schedules and still every team looks BAD

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Athletic had some stat that this season more rookie QBs have started than at any point since 1950. So it’s not your imagination that QBs are both younger and shittier than usual.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

its now the 3rd quarter. Fire him.

Naw he made it close, extend him another few years

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Kirios posted:

There’s a legitimate case to make that every NFC South coach should be fired.

What a dumpster fire of a division.

Just please god let my team fire Bowles. I curse the Saints with another year of Dennis Allen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

i use a curse reflecting shield, restructure 4 contracts and draw 2 cards.

NOoOOoooooooo.

:negative:

Watching Dan Campbell and seeing what a real coach looks like just makes me so much more angry when I have to watch Bowles do his cowardly lion routine