Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I built 4 decks of varying quality and took them to the league night with the fam. Pretty fun, but wasn't really able to make a deck around the theme my daughter would have liked with what we had from some boosters and starters.

What's a good "Aladdin" deck on a reasonable budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Owlbear Camus posted:

I built 4 decks of varying quality and took them to the league night with the fam. Pretty fun, but wasn't really able to make a deck around the theme my daughter would have liked with what we had from some boosters and starters.

What's a good "Aladdin" deck on a reasonable budget?

Pretty similar to what I mentioned above for Peter Pan but you’d put in Aladdin Heroic Outlaw in place of Peter Pan’s shadow. Aladdin plays in an aggressive control deck well.

Red/Purple control is very cheap to build unless you want Maleficent, Monstrous Dragon in it. The second most expensive card is Be Prepared at $5-$7 each. You could buy a whole deck list for about $50 without maleficent.

If you wanted even more Aladdin characters you could go Ruby/Sapphire to bring in Jasmines.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
It’s red for Aladdin and Abu. Green has Iago and Genie three times (none of them see competitive play and the rares are under a dollar on tcgplayer.)

This is what I’d start as your core 40 and then fill in whatever else.

For actual competitive, the red Aladdin sometimes sees play as late game answers in purple/red aggro.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So this is what I put together so far as a form of Ruby/Sapphire Rush Deck. Mainly just messing with the cards I have so far. I haven't found a place to play yet and dont really care about competitive play yet.

https://dreamborn.ink/decks/RRuOTtdMaa9gCa839l7X

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Been continuing to enjoy the game with my kid. We’re about fifteen games in and have progressed in to deck building. We took starters for the colors they wanted to play and opened ten boosters and then built around that pool. Kid was interested in evasive creatures because they just want to quest and avoid challenges so we zeroed in on ruby amethyst. We started by packing deck with as many evasive creatures as we could muster and then supplementing with some staples from the starters.

Since that left some discarded halves from the starter decks I built emerald amethyst around the remainders. With the emerald amethyst I try to quest while shutting down opponents creatures with a combination of challenge supplemented with tricks + recursion and some other no-questing/deactivating tricks. The games have been at a similar power level and enjoyable. Kid was thrilled to get their foil Mickey brave little tailor onto the board and close a game with it.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

More Inkland spoilers

A fairly meh card, but I suppose Eeyore has his fans

An inkable 3 cost song that cantrips? I think this has a home in steelsong fairly easily.

If lemon lime discard gets good, I think this will have a place.

Being uninkable really hurts this card, but 3 damage with an option to quest is not bad at 2.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That Ursula is gonna be a big shock to the meta. I can see Amber aggro getting paired with Emerald to be a formidable deck.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

That Ursula is gonna be a big shock to the meta. I can see Amber aggro getting paired with Emerald to be a formidable deck.

Hell, her tag-teaming with Madam Mim.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dang.

Steelsong was gonna be too expensive to build in paper anyway.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://wiki.mushureport.com/wiki/Rulings:The_Sorcerer%27s_Hat

Being able to name a character and have the hat fire for any version is very cool.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

More spoilers

Some synergy with Ursula’s Cauldron
E: Aparently the “name” of a card doesn’t include its sub name. So “Madam Mim” covers all 4 of her variants, not just Fox or Snake.

Meh

This has been out there, and is probably official? If true absolutely meta defining.

E: the hat was in this larger set of leaks, leading credence to it overall https://lorcana.gg/set-3-leaks/

Ulta fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 11, 2024

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Apologies for the double post but it’s a big spoiler day.

First official legendary

A generic 4/4/2 for 5 would be ok. Ability to get a location and move to it for free make this card very efficient. Cheatable as well.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Why do I want characters to be at locations? I still don't understand that.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

CapnAndy posted:

Why do I want characters to be at locations? I still don't understand that.

Some characters will have effects if they're at locations; the Emerald Stitch that comes in the Gift Set has Evasive normally, and gains Ward if he's at a location, so he can only be mass removed, not challenged or targeted with an action. We've seen a very low number of characters so far that'll have location effects, but I imagine they'll do things like increase the passive lore a location generates, or maybe a global buff to your other characters.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
It seems like we’ve seen at least two characters who’s only relation to locations is that they get to move to them for free sometimes. So there must be locations with effects that benefit you for having characters there. Or perhaps some base rule about locations that they haven’t told us yet.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Related unrelated, but locations should change the meta because they generate lore but are immune to the current sweepers (Grab your Swords, Be Prepared) and single target removal which are currently meta defining. They can be challenged without having to be exerted, so this hopefully will make challenging more valuable.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Spoilers are coming pretty quick today, but we have the first location that answers the question. “Why do I want a character at a location.

Spoilers are starting to come in at a regular clip

For 2 this isn’t bad. Plus you get a lore at the beginning of every turn. 5 toughness will be hard to kill early. Paying 1 for characters to have resist 1 seems relevant (Cogsworth saw some limited play).
Edit: you don’t get a lore each turn. I’m dumb

Moana might be good if challenging becomes more valuable.

Also revealed today was the relentless rats in the form of Dalmatian puppies (limited to 99 per deck though) and Pongo.

Obviously the puppies are cute gimmick for 101 Dalmatian fans. I think a deck with 99 of them will not win a lot but what is the Timmy Johnny Spike of Lorcana? Heuy Dewy Louey? Pongo seems good.

Scrooge seems ok. The three power makes it hard for his other power to trigger.

Ulta fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 13, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

4 Pongo and 56 pups might be fun to try, the Pongos would mean that you're drawing up to 5 cards a turn (wait, can each one be used once or is it a flat once per turn?) and you'd be guaranteed an ink drop. And who cards if a pup or 10 die in a challenge, you have more!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

the pups not dying to grab your swords is pretty good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Good to see modern ducktails Scrooge.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Some news on the realesse dates on the new sets

So new sets at a healthy three month clip

Interesting on the continuing theme of helping each other. More interesting is 5 power is the highest for a three drop so far. 5 power kills a lot of highly relevant cards (Maleficent, gray Beast, Cinderella, Maui). Green is looking strong in this set

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Flotsam and Jetsam are the slivers of Lorcana?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

For you Stitch fans out there, supposedly the only way to get this card and playmat

Is to take part in a tournament FLGS are supposed to have on April 4th. Top 4 get cards, top 2 get playmates. It’s cool looking so if you want it I would get to practicing (or have several hundred in disposable income)

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Looks like most colors will get a vanilla1 drop location

Vanilla location. Seems fine.

Fang seems actually interesting. Also giving evasive means you can challenge other evasive, so it’s not purely defensive. 2 lore a turn for 4 doesn’t suck either

Seems like a very good ramp effect

Powerful digging for cheap
E: apparently this is the 2nd (first being launch) Lorcana ip card. It’s an item that belongs to one of the illumineers aka planeswalkers

The best Ducktales shows up with the Nephews. Probably too awkward a combo for competitive, but seems fun for casual.

Ulta fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 24, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You posted Cruella’s house twice instead of Fang

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

You posted Cruella’s house twice instead of Fang

You’ve fallen into my trap location card

I hope you like Atlantis

Some anti board wipe tech with big Milo and Rouke

Is very weird but ultimately bad. Can’t see a situation where ramping my opponent is worth going from 5 to 8 or with singers going from 3 to 6.

We’ve seen the text but didn’t know the lore value. Probably too costly at 5.

Some red husbando

Adult Simba continues his trend of being just ok

Duck Tales!

Scrooges Dime is the first legendary that is not a character.
Sad no Gromgold reveal yet

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Forgive me, it's been a bit since I read the rules. There's no uniqueness in this game, right? That is, you can have whatever number of the same name character or item card in play as you wish or can have in a deck.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Correct, you could have 4 dimes or 12 Milo’s (4 red, 4 small green, 4 big green) all in play

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

First, Helga is rocking the Kim possible look. Second, friend like me is a good counter to people to sort the best cards on top of their deck, or as a catch-up, but not generically useful.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Friend Like Me is for putting Belle SBS over the top.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What happened with Flutesong? It was an archetype that won big in a tournament, had great success against Amethyst/Ruby control, and then a month later no one's talking about it despite A/R still being an overwhelmingly dominant archetype in the meta.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Generally it has a bad matchup against r/a and it’s very dependent on drawing a whole new world at the right time. piloting it correctly is also hard (compared to the other meta relevant decks). Whole new world gives you a hand but same for your opponent, who wants to go wide generally. Grab your swords is no be prepared since most decks run 3 willpower creatures. People tried the Mufasa variant (which didn’t do that well) and are now on the steel beast one (which is actually really good).

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So where is a good place to go if you wanna learn about the game's meta and how to make good decks?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

So where is a good place to go if you wanna learn about the game's meta and how to make good decks?

https://lorcana.gg/meta/ is a weekly rundown of the meta including examples of the decks being run.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Pile of spoilers

Steel Simba. Probably will be good

I believe translates into +3 when at a location. Draw a card when they attack.

Give a character +3 when attacking a location

Evasive

When you play a Maleifcent, look at top card put it on top or bottom

This could actually make villains good.

Singer 4

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Tiana's Palace seems massively busted. It's basically an 8 HP bodyguard for 3 ink, with passive lore generation on top of that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
German is so great. Here's Bianca, Agentin der internationalen Rettungschifegsellschaft!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

So spoilers are coming fast and furious now with the flgs release about a week away. Locations will be important but it also looks like there’s a sub theme of caring about items. Also someone wanted when people say “you should play green Ursula” you would say “which?”

E: other one

Ulta fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 14, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The new recuring song Ursula seems like she would be hilarious with the new purple Jafar that gives you lore whenever you draw a card while he's exerted. Suddenly singing "Friends on the other side" becomes "Draw 4, gain 4 lore".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Okay the meta is going to get insanely quick with ItI.

https://twitter.com/glimmergangpod/status/1757579439242633333?t=AJlp2Yg59kr4HrDIRqhRcQ&s=19