Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The X-man cometh posted:

Does anyone know what teams do at night between legs? Almost all of the racing is during the day, what do they do after they reach the mat? The first teams come in hours before the last ones, do they just go out and see the tourist sites?

Probably sleep & shower and I assume they likely do a lot of the confessionals during the "downtime."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah the confessionals seem like they're usually somewhere near the finish area just going off the backdrop

Vibes so far are pretty good for this cast. Biggest downside is that I can already feel the padding they had to do in the editing and that probably means it's gonna be rough as we get farther into the season and they have less footage to pull from

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

M.Matsuda posted:

sequestered in hotels, resting and being able to eat apparently. they used to be allowed to go out and mingle with other teams but that pretty much stopped with season 14 apparently
That was the primary reason DeAngelo from season 32 had for stating that he didn't enjoy being on the race when they got eliminated. In a follow up interview he said that he wanted to actually explore the countries they were visiting between legs, instead of being stuck in a hotel room with nothing to do but watch TV that may not even be in a language you can understand.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they're chaperoned and just stay at their hotel, they're usually advised to get sleep when they can since the flights are often not long enough to get a full nights rest esp when theres time zone changes and they gotta hit pavement running when they land

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I unironically think it’s a good thing that production basically forces them to actually rest. Else most of them would be walking corpses by halfway.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i made a makeshift OP if a mod or SGB wanna slide it in to the existing one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4042840&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post538048789

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man i wanna collect balloons

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems tough to make an all foot leg of the race where teams will just end up finding the wrong clue boxes and it not be obvious it's the wrong one. Seems like you could just have gotten the road block clue from the detour people.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seems tough to make an all foot leg of the race where teams will just end up finding the wrong clue boxes and it not be obvious it's the wrong one. Seems like you could just have gotten the road block clue from the detour people.

i think this was filmed a while back when covid was still weird with a lot of the countries, they might be restricted to very small parcels of land they can play around with

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I’m relaxed extremely not relaxed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lol the decline in the strictness of the face paint judge after like team 4 was exponential. But couple in pink were doing screen quality makeup.

Y’all were right this game area was very small, they walked by that parking garage in every leg.

This looked like one of the most physically demanding legs in a long time. Usually it’s straight line running and like maybe one leg has a single staircase component. But this place was all hills and stairs.

STING 64 posted:

man i wanna collect balloons

Yeah that one would be fun.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STING 64 posted:

i think this was filmed a while back when covid was still weird with a lot of the countries, they might be restricted to very small parcels of land they can play around with

Yea it was filmed in 2022, so still likely some covid restrictions and they are using the private Amazing Race plane for the flights. Like I said though, could just get the Road Block clue from the detour judge / person instead of a 2nd box.

Rick posted:

Lol the decline in the strictness of the face paint judge after like team 4 was exponential. But couple in pink were doing screen quality makeup.

I think she had several specific things to look for from the teams. And half the challenge being some teams trying to make it perfect and others not giving a poo poo. Although it's also possible & likely that the producers changed the strictness with how hot it was and so many teams literally sweating the makeup off.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I think she had several specific things to look for from the teams. And half the challenge being some teams trying to make it perfect and others not giving a poo poo. Although it's also possible & likely that the producers changed the strictness with how hot it was and so many teams literally sweating the makeup off.

She docked a couple teams for not having the yellow in the teeth area but you could see the last two teams getting a pass with white teeth.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Rick posted:

The moms definitely got done dirty by that judge.

Is it usual for one part of a detour to just be a trap choice if you choose it?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

The moms definitely got done dirty by that judge.

Is it usual for one part of a detour to just be a trap choice if you choose it?

I wouldn’t say it’s rare.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

there's usually at least a couple every season where the "this will take a set amount of time" one is the objectively correct choice because the skill based one being faster is technically possible but realistically you have no chance.

I'm enjoying the dynamics from the top teams so far, hopefully there's no big shakeups for a few more episodes that causes one to get eliminated.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah im enjoying this cast, i feel like of the ones who could have gotten snippy and toxic late, the two big contenders for that are out already, really liking the hawaiin shirt dudes and the double dutch couple. i hope the walla walla team lasts but i dunno how well the moms gonna hold up, wouldnt be shocked if they're pulled between episodes.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 22, 2024

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The cousins are great, just pure chaos, I am enjoying the one who keeps saying weird quips and then Jimfacing at the camera

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh one more thought, the twins need to shave those godawful mustaches

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

SteveVizsla posted:

Edit: After looking at their occupations, they should have dumped this season on a streaming platform

Just watched the premier and jfc what an absolute shitshow of incompetence. This felt like the longest episode ever. Some of the editing was weird, there was a bit at the beginning with the gay couple, I think it was, that was the camera going in and out of focus on the waves behind the guy's hip?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SteveVizsla posted:

Just watched the premier and jfc what an absolute shitshow of incompetence. This felt like the longest episode ever. Some of the editing was weird, there was a bit at the beginning with the gay couple, I think it was, that was the camera going in and out of focus on the waves behind the guy's hip?

well it was 90 minutes and shot for 60, i think pacings gonna be rough all season

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

STING 64 posted:

well it was 90 minutes and shot for 60, i think pacings gonna be rough all season

True, but there's ways to cut it to make it more exciting. A lot of the length was probably because it's so little going on overall - three total tasks, all near each other because of covid - but it felt like it was dragging on beyond that.

Last season is making me like the twins here, because they're so chill. I liked the dad/daughter too, but they never stood a chance.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

So this was filmed prior to last season? I had read that, but then got confused because at the beginning Phil referenced, "Last season we went to a new country for the first time," and I assumed he was talking about Slovenia. Was that a sneaky edit to trick us, or am I just confused?

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
I think they got lucky because the season before this one filmed also had a new country (Jordan). Either that or it was a dub

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

FlashFearless posted:

So this was filmed prior to last season? I had read that, but then got confused because at the beginning Phil referenced, "Last season we went to a new country for the first time," and I assumed he was talking about Slovenia. Was that a sneaky edit to trick us, or am I just confused?

I believe it was filmed prior to the two previous seasons

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Poque posted:

The cousins are great, just pure chaos, I am enjoying the one who keeps saying weird quips and then Jimfacing at the camera
Yeah, she cracks me up. When she smugly turned to the camera and went "I'm from Texas" immediately before messing up the lasso challenge she became one of my favorite racers.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

FlashFearless posted:

Yes. They filmed this season (36 on air) in 2022 & then filmed last season (35 on air) in 2023 because of the actor's & writer's strikes. They did it because they wanted to film the fall season with the intention of being 90 minute episodes. They have since reedited this current season to be 90 minutes, but everything was filmed & planned out to be 60 minute episodes.

Season 34, they went to Jordan for the 1st time so Phil's comment was accurate and didn't need to be edited.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

- Why would you go on this show if you're terrified of heights? His fear clearly isn't as bad as he thinks, though, because absolutely no way you're getting me anywhere close to up that mountain
- Do the mom and son know they're on the actual show on cbs? They sound like they're on a funsies little excursion from their cruise or something
- Phil repeatedly saying "race around the world" irks me
- The fresco things are neat
- Colombia doesn't have alligators (they live in the southwest USA/a bit into the northeast of Mexico, and a very small area of China). It's home to the American crocodile and the Orinoco crocodile, though, and black, cuvier's, smooth-fronted, and spectacled caimans!
- The lack of preparedness of these teams is a little astounding
- Don't spend a bunch of time discussing whether to switch or not, just do it (or not)
- Yay Ricky and Cesar!
- "slow and steady wins the race" no it doesn't
- the bird was a motmot :)
- I wish they'd said the time difference to see if the twins might still be in if they hadn't kept switching

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I swore they said no switching allowed when they read the clue but I guess since it was the last two teams it didn’t matter.

I feel like the jeep thing would not be a big deal if it was just getting stuff on there but having to match it made that an event that was going to take an hour at least . That was like a 20-30 minute cooking challenge.

There was some really obvious ADR where one of the twins mouthed “adhd” but they replaced it with “attention to detail.”

Pleasant episode all things considered though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
No switching was in reference to the water taxis, you can't switch your boat (which is why mom/son were stuck waiting for their boat to start again).

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The cousins in pink are really funny

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mp5 posted:

The cousins in pink are really funny

They are having a collective panic attack at all times and it's helping them win and I'm here for it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

No switching was in reference to the water taxis, you can't switch your boat (which is why mom/son were stuck waiting for their boat to start again).

Ah, that makes sense.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I'm ready for mom/son to go, they're just so sad. The kid needs real friends.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
When the cousins talk at the same time it’s like nine people are all yelling and it’s hilarious. I hope they win.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Poque posted:

When the cousins talk at the same time it’s like nine people are all yelling and it’s hilarious. I hope they win.

I died laughing when their separate streams of conversation intersected once during their confessionals and they started yelling in unison

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sad to see the double dutch couple eat it. this episode and last definitely didnt need to be 90.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"Are you a name station?"

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Running half the race in Central / South America with multiple competitors that speak Spanish and / or have actual family in those countries.

Also had to be the best post leg segment they've done with Phil, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also had to be the best post leg segment they've done with Phil, right?
I liked it lol