Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Happy Fall Goons!

It's that time of year again, the days are getting longer, the trees are changing colors, and we are inundated by pumpkin spice everything. Now it's time to be part of the problem. No longer the exclusive fare of sorority girls and soccer moms, pumpkin spice is an intrinsic part of the season. Embrace your inner basicness.

I (Grandicap) am your chairman for this Newbie Iron Chef Something Awful.

What is Pumpkin Spice
Pumpkin Spice is the ground spice mixture that used to season pumpkin (and the far tastier sweet potato) pies for thanksgiving, but has spread into literally everything, food or not, since a brilliant marketing move by Starbucks. It usually consists of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, and Ginger. Sometimes allspice is added as well.

What do you need to cook?

1 to 3 courses that utilize the ingredient.

Do I need to make my own?
Nope, pumpkin pie spice is commercially available pre mixed.

What if I want to make a dish that uses Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves and Nutmeg, but it would be a stretch to call it pumpkin spice?
Go for it? I won't disqualify you if you are attempting to adhere to the theme, I can't talk for the voters though. But don't let a technicality get in the way of experimentation.

Can I enter?
Yes, probably. If you are asking it's probably yes, but if you have won a previous ICSA, entered a bunch, or are a professional chef, then no. Otherwise, have at it!
Addendum: If you don't qualify for the contest but still want to cook a thing, still give a link to your thread, I just won't put it in for voting consideration.

Special: Chairman's Prize
The best savory dish, as judged by me, will get a super secret special prize that I have not come up with.

Submission Rules :
  1. Post a separate thread for your entry, then post here with a link.
  2. Pictures! At least of the final dishes, but we prefer to see your steps as well as your final product.
  3. If possible, please include your recipe so that other Goons can try and recreate your dishes for their own consumption.
  4. Does your recipe have a backstory? Tell us about it!
  5. Have fun, and be creative. The theme is quite open to interpretation.
  6. Questions? Ask in the thread or PM your Chairman.
  7. The deadline for entries is Midnight Eastern time, October 31, 2022 (that's the end of the month, folks), with judging to follow.

How do I win?

There will be a voting thread open to all after the entry date has passed.

What do I win?

1st place: $100 gift certificate to Amazon (or equivalent value elsewhere at winners request if desired).
2nd place: $50 gift certificate to Amazon (or equivalent value elsewhere at winners request if desired).
3rd place: $25 gift certificate to Amazon (or equivalent value elsewhere at winners request if desired).
Chairman's prize: I don't know yet, but it will be something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Very disappointed that I am not allowed to enter, but I also dislike pumpkin spice quite a lot, so maybe for the best that I don't inflict it on my nearest and dearest

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Hello, GBS! Come take part in a thrilling cooking contest with us in GWS, and win fabulous prizes!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Does me getting second in the courgette one disqualify me? I don't know if it was icsa or nicsa but it was my first one ever. I'd like to make something with seasonal spice but I understand if I can't. I could make someone else participate.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That's fine, I'd love to see another entry from you.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Awesome! I will try to make it goofy and creative again.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Grey Cat posted:

Does me getting second in the courgette one disqualify me? I don't know if it was icsa or nicsa but it was my first one ever. I'd like to make something with seasonal spice but I understand if I can't. I could make someone else participate.

You should both participate and browbeat someone else into participating!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Grandicap posted:

You should both participate and browbeat someone else into participating!

Don't have to ask me twice. I know just the goon.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am not a fan of pumpkin..... anything, in general (or any squash for that matter). However I just remembered I DO have an awesome thing I can make with at least 3 of the 4 components of pumpkin spice, if not all 4. I'm pretty sure I can add the last one to the recipe and it would fit perfectly.

I might enter this. There are a couple of ingredients I might have trouble sourcing, one of which I'd probably have to order online and may take several weeks to arrive (if I can get it at all), but I think I can make it work. If I can't get either of those things in time then there are substitutions I can use instead.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Pumpkin* is better without pumpkin pie spice, but I'm definitely interested in seeing what amazing things come from this contest.

* canned pumpkin is not necessarily actual pumpkin gourd

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

I am not a fan of pumpkin..... anything, in general (or any squash for that matter). However I just remembered I DO have an awesome thing I can make with at least 3 of the 4 components of pumpkin spice, if not all 4. I'm pretty sure I can add the last one to the recipe and it would fit perfectly.

I might enter this. There are a couple of ingredients I might have trouble sourcing, one of which I'd probably have to order online and may take several weeks to arrive (if I can get it at all), but I think I can make it work. If I can't get either of those things in time then there are substitutions I can use instead.

if it's a pumpkin you can probably grab one off a porch here in the next couple weeks

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Definitely have an idea, may or may not manage to actually use pumpkin in the dish (well, whatever kind of squash I can get my hands on). Posting here for the public shame if I don't deliver.

Are there any restrictions around adulterating that spice mix with other things, for a savory dish? Or indeed any rules about how far from whatever is typical* the ratios of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and allspice can be?

(*I'm assuming mostly even for the first three, and significantly less of the last two? I know I can look this up)

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Brutal Garcon posted:

Definitely have an idea, may or may not manage to actually use pumpkin in the dish (well, whatever kind of squash I can get my hands on). Posting here for the public shame if I don't deliver.

Are there any restrictions around adulterating that spice mix with other things, for a savory dish? Or indeed any rules about how far from whatever is typical* the ratios of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and allspice can be?

(*I'm assuming mostly even for the first three, and significantly less of the last two? I know I can look this up)

Ratios don't matter, adulterants don't matter. If it veers too far away from pumpkin spice I guess the voters might take offense and not vote it, but it won't be disqualified.

I want people to take big swings, do something crazy. If I get 14 pumpkin spiced snickerdoodles or whatever I will be sad.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Grandicap posted:

Ratios don't matter, adulterants don't matter. If it veers too far away from pumpkin spice I guess the voters might take offense and not vote it, but it won't be disqualified.

I want people to take big swings, do something crazy. If I get 14 pumpkin spiced snickerdoodles or whatever I will be sad.

:( there goes meemaw's pumpkin spiced snickerdoodles.

(lol, jk)

I used to love to cook, but I can't bake, whatsoever. maybe i'll come up with something.

this is cool, by the way.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I am hoping that after 20 years on this comedy website it is finally my time to shine

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Update: I have ordered the things. :mrgw:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Excited to see it!

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

I am going to make something to get the result blacklisted and me getting banned

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

OsteoMcB posted:

I am going to make something to get the result blacklisted and me getting banned

i'll snort it as intended.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

OsteoMcB posted:

Make a ban-me sandwich.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I did the thing

I'm kind of surprised this turned out non-terrible

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I also did a thing

It was also surprisingly alright, especially for a dish that I've never made before.

I've come in as a runner up before and won a chairman's prize in the previous ICSA, plus I try to do these things regularly, so if it doesn't go into competition, that's fine. It's halfway through the month already and we need more entries!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

One of the things I ordered for my dish won't be delivered for another week and a half at the earliest. Reeeeeally hoping no one beats me to the punch on it before then. :ohdear:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

I. M. Gei posted:

One of the things I ordered for my dish won't be delivered for another week and a half at the earliest. Reeeeeally hoping no one beats me to the punch on it before then. :ohdear:

Pretty sure Starbucks already sells pumpkin spice punch.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Pumpkin spice is the worst kind of spice.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Pumpkin spice is the worst kind of spice.

It's okay to have bad opinions.
It's a mix of all the best spices.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
This thread is gonna get moving again soon! I meant to move it over the weekend but got busy with work stuff.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'm going to grab ingredients today, but still going to be a bit before I post my contribution.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I am planning on making something this weekend!!!!!!!!! i think an entree + sides + cocktail but we'll see

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Is it really just 1 dish minimum? Because that's all I'm making.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Grey Cat posted:

Is it really just 1 dish minimum? Because that's all I'm making.

Yup, it's a NICSA, trying to make the barrier to entry as low as possible.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does it matter if we make one thing but it's not really a "main" dish/entree?

I'm not sure if what I'm planning to make counts as an entree or not. I may have to make something else to go with it, but I don't have a ton of ideas since I hate pumpkin.

EDIT: If I need to, I can PM Grandicap and tell him what I plan on making, and he can advise me whether to add to it or not. It'll be at least a week before I can post my thread anyway, so I've got plenty of time! :)

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 19, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Grandicap posted:

Yup, it's a NICSA, trying to make the barrier to entry as low as possible.

Cool, thank you.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm sorry to tell you, OP, but this thread is now haunted. Entrants, please enter... IF YOU DARE

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Haunted pumpkins sound pretty cool to me

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Does it matter if we make one thing but it's not really a "main" dish/entree?

I'm not sure if what I'm planning to make counts as an entree or not. I may have to make something else to go with it, but I don't have a ton of ideas since I hate pumpkin.

EDIT: If I need to, I can PM Grandicap and tell him what I plan on making, and he can advise me whether to add to it or not. It'll be at least a week before I can post my thread anyway, so I've got plenty of time! :)

If you only have one dish, it does not have to be a main/entree. You could submit 3 desserts if you wanted.
To be eligible for the Chairman's prize, it must be savory, but otherwise, as long as it incorporates the secret ingredient it'll be eligible for entry.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I assume I can't enter twice, and I'm not sure I'll have the spare time before the deadline, so free (and possibly terrible) idea to whoever wants it: Chinese red-braised pork

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Tonight was so fun!

I give you: Pumpkin Pie Spice Ribs & BBQ Sauce, with Pumpkin Pie Spice Sides & Cocktail!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Brutal Garcon posted:

I assume I can't enter twice, and I'm not sure I'll have the spare time before the deadline, so free (and possibly terrible) idea to whoever wants it: Chinese red-braised pork

You can edit it into your first entry if you want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

wellllllllllllllllll son of a gently caress

Looks like this is gonna be yet another 12th-hour ICSA/NICSA entry for me after all. :(

Luckily most of the actual work on the first thing I'm making is already done, so I at least have something to post right now. It just needs time to sit while I wait on this order to arrive (which it was gonna have to do anyway). I can go back and edit my post once the rest of the cooking on that and the second dish are complete, since the second dish uses part of the finished first dish as an ingredient, although at the rate things are going the second dish may not be done until November 1st which is the day after the cutoff. The first one should be done right on Halloween night. :spooky:

Grandicap, would it be okay if I go ahead and post a thread for what I've got now and then add to it as dishes #1 and #2 are done?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!