Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I can’t believe the exchange student and the weird kid got into a slap fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

this magic has honor student written all over it*

*dies unlike the honor student

People always be like this about honor students.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

very good episode

kinda reading shuro as mostly letting out a lot of pent up emotions this episode, making him a lot more extreme. i don't think he was ever really going to drag marcille to the elves and all that, he just needed to process the whole situation and said some nasty stuff off the cuff

sad that laois tried to bond with kabru over their mutual interest in stabbing things but the moment he started talking about monsters kabru just zoned into something else. it really seems like information that would've been really helpful to him specifically!

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Ah that's too bad, but at least I'm pretty sure I took away what Kui intended for the reader to understand. It's pretty fun to Kabru-craft a bit and try and figure out Shuro's reasoning and actions. Like, his retinue have already got it in their heads (and 4th wall breaks) that Shuro will save Falin and have a kid with him as their next lord. And then we find out that Falin hadn't even said yes to his proposal yet and just told him she would think about it. So what was your plan, Shuro? Grab your family retainers and rescue Falin on your own, sweeping her away from the Island and going home to the East with a bride in tow, leaving her obnoxious brother behind? He rips into Laios for being unable to read a room yet he decided to go off and plan his own rescue rather than stick with people who are adamant about getting their friend/sibling back. He condemns Marcille for her methods despite that being the only way they could have saved Falin to begin with and calls Laios reckless. He doesn't seem to consider what kind of emotional attachment they have to Falin that would drive them to such extremes to save her, but somehow Shuro's gonna do it all the while not sleeping or eating. That's not reckless. And yet somehow it's Laios who can't read people. And all this over a girl that for all we know he had a one-sided crush on because he could never express it until he sprang a marriage proposal.

He's a fun character for being such a wreck.

Also Chilchuck and Mickbell eavesdropping on them and both agreeing tallmen are weird was a good bit.

Tbf it doesn't seem like Shuro anticipated Laios&co were going to jump right back into the dungeon after he left to get his retainers from the mainland. Operating on the grounds that time was of the essence and that trying to tackle the dragon again without more back-up would be suicidal, Shuro certainly had the right idea in leaving to get more support. Unfortunately he did fail to properly communicate that to the rest of the group at the onset, which led to this outcome. His support and that of Kabru's party (who probably wouldn't be here if not for joining up with Shuro when they did) still ended up being essential to driving off Falin, so hid actions at least weren't wasted.

It's an interesting parallel between Shuro and Laios, with both failing socially but for rather different reasons. Laios makes up for it in other ways, but with Shuro the mode of self-expression he's derived from his personality and culture have only been shown to be a hindrance to him. With Laios being Laios, it suggests the possibility that he latched on to Shuro as hard as he did not just because of Shuro's seeming "patience" and "tolerance", but also perhaps from an angle of sympathy for Shuro appearing to be alienated by society like Laios himself is.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ninjewtsu posted:

very good episode

kinda reading shuro as mostly letting out a lot of pent up emotions this episode, making him a lot more extreme. i don't think he was ever really going to drag marcille to the elves and all that, he just needed to process the whole situation and said some nasty stuff off the cuff

sad that laois tried to bond with kabru over their mutual interest in stabbing things but the moment he started talking about monsters kabru just zoned into something else. it really seems like information that would've been really helpful to him specifically!

Monsters don't do drama, that's a people thing. Of course he lost interest

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ninjewtsu posted:

very good episode

Kabru zoned specifically into focusing on Laios while he was talking. The dude has his hyperfixations just as much as Laios does.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/churroach/status/1781758110132011381

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Shuro leaving the dungeon after accomplishing nothing he set out to do

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Lmao at shuro trying to get rid of laios with subtle social cues a normal person would get. Buddy, the first time he met you he infodumped you for five hours, in what world did you convince yourself that might work

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

This tumblr recreated a couple meals from the show: https://bebopbop.tumblr.com/

The clear winner is the exorcism sorbet

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm glad Laios called him out for that, to be honest. The guy who expresses everything would be pissed off that the guy who says nothing would start making GBS threads on him out of nowhere like that. And then to try and make it all Laios's fault, too. Yeah I'd be pissed as well. Good on you for standing up for yourself Laios.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m glad that by the end of it Laios and Shuro seem to have kind of made peace with each other :unsmith:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Laios and Shuro should kiss

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He cant Kabru is busy kissing him

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I love how Senshi was just standing on the sidelines, holding that meal for Shuro, for the entire Falin confrontation :allears:

But then he did put it down so he could go gather other supplies afterwards. Just a real deer-in-the-headlights moment, I guess. I really like how this show is using little montages for some scenes, like the bit where they gather/heal everyone after the fight. It's a nice way of keeping the pacing up, while not losing anything from the manga.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Thinking back to this and imagining how this episode would go over. The animation actually amped it up a bit over the manga which wasn't light to begin with.

Being in color and being able to see all the red everywhere certainly helped the carnage.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
episode ruled but i've gotta post the manga version of this gag for the great pacing

chimaera falin absolutely slapped. i feel like she's way more uncanny in motion; they did a good job of communicating her monstrousness with her eerie expressions while she popped the cast like bubble wrap

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's only on my mind because I JUST turned the episode on in another tab but I like the way Kabru got Shuro to calm down right at the start of the episode by aggressively agreeing with him. Dude always knows the right buttons to push.

Which makes his "I have to kill him" moment with the harpy omelet even funnier. How do you get check mated by Laios.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah, I think a lot of the Kabru stuff works better in the manga, easier to get across the contrast of what he's saying and thinking.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean who are we to say that Shuro's memories aren't just as biased as Laios's? There could be some Rashomon vibes going on except that Falin is currently a bit too chicken to offer her version of events.

Shuro probably thought he was being suave and subtle putting the moves on Falin while she was fixated on a cool caterpillar and not paying attention.

Shuro: And that is why I have decided... to ask you to marry me.
Falin, looking past Shuro at a cool leaf on the ground: uh huh can i get back to you on that
Shuro: Of course. Take all the time you need.
Falin, picturing the leaf on her pressed leaf collection: ok

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SexyBlindfold posted:

Shuro: And that is why I have decided... to ask you to marry me.
Falin, looking past Shuro at a cool leaf on the ground: uh huh can i get back to you on that
Shuro: Of course. Take all the time you need.
Falin, picturing the leaf on her pressed leaf collection: ok

Implying Falin would ever normally open her eyes and allow a viewer to discern what she’s looking at. Highly unrealistic smh.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

SexyBlindfold posted:

very happy at Kuro Action Hour getting a hefty slice of the animation budget this episode

Dogs are one of those things that animators seem to enjoy drawing in general, unlike say, bicycles, horses, and cars

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Forget it, didn't work

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean who are we to say that Shuro's memories aren't just as biased as Laios's? There could be some Rashomon vibes going on except that Falin is currently a bit too chicken to offer her version of events.

Shuro probably thought he was being suave and subtle putting the moves on Falin while she was fixated on a cool caterpillar and not paying attention.

I think there was an off-handed comment by Marcille and/or Chilchuck a while ago about how Shuro "can't read the mood," plus some serious side-eye, when someone (Namari?) mentioned that Shuro was off looking for Falin himself, so I think it's an open secret that his infatuation is hopelessly one-sided.

And to answer an earlier question, I think because Shuro's a nobleman and born to privilege, he's just used to getting what he wants, and can't imagine someone would seriously turn down a highly-eligible bachelor like him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The person most attracted to Shuro is Laios

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pureauthor posted:

The person most attracted to Shuro is Laios

If Shuro had asked Laios to marry him instead of Falin this entire situation could have been avoided. Laios would have said yes immediately, they wouldn't have gone back down into the dungeon, and Falin never would have been eaten by a dragon. Instead the series would have been a romantic comedy about planning a wedding in a fantasy world.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Things we know about the lunatic magician.

1. Insane
2. Gotta find Dergal
3. Gave Falin a brood patch so that she can incubate eggs when she lays them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/churroach/status/1783633397627109427

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I hadn't watched since episode 11, saw some spoiler, then decided to shotgun the rest of the episodes. drat.

I already was spoiled on Chimera Falin (part of the reason why I sorta put off watching the episodes since) but dang.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 26, 2024

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It's only on my mind because I JUST turned the episode on in another tab but I like the way Kabru got Shuro to calm down right at the start of the episode by aggressively agreeing with him. Dude always knows the right buttons to push.

Which makes his "I have to kill him" moment with the harpy omelet even funnier. How do you get check mated by Laios.

One panel I wish made the cut was right between Kabru grinning about the reveal and him speaking up, when he realizes it could turn violent if someone doesn't intervene. Specifically, he's afraid that it'll not only turn deadly but that he'll somehow get killed too by standing too close.

I highly doubt it'd have actually gone that far but lmao nonetheless

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Laios and Shuro should kiss

Synthbuttrange posted:

He cant Kabru is busy kissing him

Make them all kiss, no one should be left out of the dysfunction

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
i FINALLY realised (with some help) that the second ending reminded me of 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aeETEoNfOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIYCjZH4NpY

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

lightrook posted:

And to answer an earlier question, I think because Shuro's a nobleman and born to privilege, he's just used to getting what he wants, and can't imagine someone would seriously turn down a highly-eligible bachelor like him.

I can't agree with this read of the situation at all. We've been shown that Shuro comes from a culture which places an enormous emphasis on formality, and that he's extremely uncomfortable acting outside the norms of his culture. My read is that however Shuro proposed, it was probably in line with how they'd consider a proper marriage proposal to be done back home.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MiracleFlare posted:

One panel I wish made the cut was right between Kabru grinning about the reveal and him speaking up, when he realizes it could turn violent if someone doesn't intervene. Specifically, he's afraid that it'll not only turn deadly but that he'll somehow get killed too by standing too close.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
It went by really fast so I went back and took some screenshots of Kabru's flashbacks when Laios offered him the monster omelette:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so many questions begged

are those the inquisitor elves from the west? Why were they there? What's the deal with the satyr? Who won that struggle?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

huh.

thats a very distinctive staff shape

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Laios's English voice actor is autistic, so as you might expect the scene with Laios and Shuro hit close to home for him.

https://x.com/DamienHaas/status/1783674728512897145

as someone with similar brains this was also maybe the most emotional bit of the show so far for me

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Dogs are one of those things that animators seem to enjoy drawing in general, unlike say, bicycles, horses, and cars

Part of it is because 9 times out of 10 you can draw something vaguely dog-shaped and people will say "oh yeah, that's a dog alright". In a world where pugs exist, so too can that weird dog from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

More significantly than being from Fantasy Japan, Shuro is an aristocrat.

Emotional repression and reading between the lines are his job (as well as mounted combat and tax administration)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
drat the anime really did justice to this chapter. Loved the chimera's awkward scramble up the wall especially.