Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy new year, TVIV!!!! Here are some shows I’m looking forward to with confirmed premiere dates:

- True Detective: Night Country (Jan 14)
- Feud: Capote vs. The Swans (Jan 31)
- Curb Your Enthusiasm final season!!!! (Feb 4)
- Abbott Elementary season 3 (Feb 7)
- Shōgun (Feb 27)
- The Regime (Mar 3)
- Girls5Eva season 3 (Mar 14)

Plus very much looking forward to seeing the ends of the current seasons of Fargo, For All Mankind, and The Curse, especially cos then I can make my list for the 2023 poll which don’t forget is happening!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Teek posted:

Reiterating for the new thread that the underrated (in the mainstream) pirate show Black Sails is coming to Netflix on January 1st. It’s a prequel to Treasure Island that mixes those characters with many real life pirates. Tells a complete narrative in four seasons with a great cast and story.

Black Sails answers the question: “what if GoT’s writers cared about their show?”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

- True Detective: Night Country (Jan 14)
- Feud: Capote vs. The Swans (Jan 31)
- Curb Your Enthusiasm final season!!!! (Feb 4)
- Abbott Elementary season 3 (Feb 7)
- Shōgun (Feb 27)
- The Regime (Mar 3)
- Girls5Eva season 3 (Mar 14)

These all look awesome.

Though lol at HBO Disco, having identified "True Detective" as a high awareness brand that fits their seriesdom-for-him rebranding strategy, just randomly shoving the True Detective name onto a completely unrelated show with no-one from the original involved.

And also that True Detective: Green Lantern show.

I'll be there for the winter photography though ngl.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Black Sails answers the question: “what if GoT’s writers cared about their show?”

Some of the action in the final two seasons is Banshee tier.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Chubby Henparty posted:

Wasn't he the Good One that was going to save Dr Who after Davies?

Turns out that writing a great episode once per season was very different from running a whole show.

Open Source Idiom posted:

He ran a ship of variable quality, but he's definitely only declined since then -- Sherlock, Dracula, Inside Man...

I don't think I have ever seen a bigger decline in writing over a mini-series than what happened with Dracula

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Moffat's run on Doctor Who was really loving good and ended strong, and it only looks better in retrospect after the bland mess that was Chris Chibnall's run that followed.

That said, apart from the first two seasons of Sherlock, everything else he's touched since then has been progressively worse and got so bad that I never bothered with the one with the Hannibal Lecter rip-off (I think that was the premise?) that I believe was his last series? The final episode of Sherlock was atrociously bad but even that was nothing compared to how terrible his and Mark Gatiss's Dracula series turned out to be.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is True Detective considered a comic book show?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gonz posted:

Happy 2024, everybody!

BRING BACK RAISED BY WOLVES.

Sol is just testing my faith.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just finished Oz and it was very fun to watch and killed a five day hospital stay, but I expected something more like Sopranos and ended up with what might be one of the dumbest, silliest shows I've ever seen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ruddiger posted:

What does this mean? About as comic book as Fargo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Detective Comics, duh

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

They can’t all be winners

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Watching the ball drop last night and Rose Parade today I've learned my Comcast feed is just a minute delayed on literally every channel and that it's just A Comcast Thing now https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/x1/why-is-live-tv-delayed-45-seconds/6525fa12f8fcd3407e3c627a

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Though lol at HBO Disco, having identified "True Detective" as a high awareness brand that fits their seriesdom-for-him rebranding strategy, just randomly shoving the True Detective name onto a completely unrelated show with no-one from the original involved.

I'll go to bat for this just for saying that True Detective Season 4 was in development (even if very early stages) prior to the merger, and it's not like the previous seasons had any sort of connectivity at all. I think the only example was the brief mention of the season 1 events in a single scene of season 3, which was all just a red herring anyways.

Either way, looking forward to it a lot.

ruddiger posted:

On this topic, lol that the new season is set in a fictional town called Ennis.

Jerusalem posted:

Moffat's run on Doctor Who was really loving good and ended strong, and it only looks better in retrospect after the bland mess that was Chris Chibnall's run that followed.

That said, apart from the first two seasons of Sherlock, everything else he's touched since then has been progressively worse and got so bad that I never bothered with the one with the Hannibal Lecter rip-off (I think that was the premise?) that I believe was his last series? The final episode of Sherlock was atrociously bad but even that was nothing compared to how terrible his and Mark Gatiss's Dracula series turned out to be.

IMO, season 5 was really strong, and his run just got weaker as time went on, though with the occasional strong episode (sometimes even by Moffat!) along the way. He doubled down on making it a show about the Doctor rather than a show about the Doctor's adventures.

I remember really loving the first two seasons of Sherlock but kind of reluctant to go back and watch them now as I suspect they might not be as good as I remember. In retrospect Dracula coming out the first day of 2020 was a sign of the year to come.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Oh no Dracula figured out our wifi password (it was Dracula) and got online with the tablet we gave him for reasons... He now has a lawyer and we a shadow government agency have no choice but to release him immediately.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Typical Dracula.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

What does this mean? About as comic book as Fargo.

The first season had entire sequences taken from various comics, most notably Top 10 by Alan Moore

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I believe True Detective does deliberately share the name of an ancient comics series though i don’t think there’s any direct relation otherwise. It’s clear that Nick Pizzolatto is a massive comics nerd either way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember really loving the first two seasons of Sherlock but kind of reluctant to go back and watch them now as I suspect they might not be as good as I remember. In retrospect Dracula coming out the first day of 2020 was a sign of the year to come.

Yeah, every so often I think it might be fun to rewatch the first two and then get concerned that maybe all the flaws the initial newness (and Cumberbatch and Freeman's chemistry) papered over will be far too apparent.

At least I'll always have my precious Jeremy Brett boxset! :swoon:

socialsecurity posted:

Oh no Dracula figured out our wifi password (it was Dracula) and got online with the tablet we gave him for reasons... He now has a lawyer and we a shadow government agency have no choice but to release him immediately.

I was already extremely negative on the show but when they got to that part I just threw up my arms and decided to just treat the entire thing as a comedy. Just unfathomably awful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm watching What If season 2 and that is not what Michael Douglas looked like at any point.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Happy New Year, thread! I deeply approve of the thread title and thank you for the reminder that Black Sails is going to be on Netflix! :swoon:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

I'll go to bat for this just for saying that True Detective Season 4 was in development (even if very early stages) prior to the merger, and it's not like the previous seasons had any sort of connectivity at all. I think the only example was the brief mention of the season 1 events in a single scene of season 3, which was all just a red herring anyways.

Either way, looking forward to it a lot.

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to it -- some of that photography looks sick as.

That said, I think there was slightly more narrative connectivity between seasons than you're making out. However, my point was more that there's no production crew in common. The first three seasons were all developed and written by Nic Pizzaman, but this fourth season is just the show using his title. So it's probably best approached as a completely new show, you know?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

HOLY gently caress posted:

Happy New Year, thread! I deeply approve of the thread title and thank you for the reminder that Black Sails is going to be on Netflix! :swoon:

The thread title is actually about being happy while doing animal abuse on Steamboat Willie.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 2, 2024

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Berlin is entertaining enough. Like the last seasons of Casa de Papel. But be ready to get angry at characters for making stupid decisions in the name of love.

Nowhere near as good as seasons 1 or 2.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

cant cook creole bream posted:

The thread title is actually about being happy while doing animal a use on Steamboat Willie.

multipurpose thread title :swoon:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

At least I'll always have my precious Jeremy Brett boxset! :swoon:

I just finished The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and started The Return of Sherlock Holmes. Brett is fabulous as Holmes. He is Holmes. I'm sad that David Burke left cause his Watson was exactly what I liked. Not disliking Hardwicke as I only watched the first episode of his.

What a wonderful show. It's so relaxing to watch. And frankly it's a relief from the modern shows with show much technology in it.

I also started Agatha Christie's Poirot as well which is fantastic.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I started Reacher thanks to this thread, and while I am enjoying it, I have two observations:

1) all the comments here made it sound like this was an episodic show, when it is very much a serialized show.

2) this show is like an updated, slightly elevated/higher quality version of Walker Texas Ranger

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

OldSenileGuy posted:

I started Reacher thanks to this thread, and while I am enjoying it, I have two observations:

1) all the comments here made it sound like this was an episodic show, when it is very much a serialized show.

2) this show is like an updated, slightly elevated/higher quality version of Walker Texas Ranger

I haven't watched it, but the comments here didn't make me think it was episodic, but that the seasons were unconnected, each based on a different book.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, Obliterated is such terrible campy action bullshit. I kind of love it.
Is this how people enjoy wrestling?

This makes Reacher look like Hamlet.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 2, 2024

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://x.com/variety/status/1742199068053348643?s=46

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Strongly disagree with this assessment.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I actually thought Reacher was episodic from reading this thread too, it also happened with The Last Kingdom. I think the comparisons like "it's 80s/90s show but X" are part of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Reacher lost me with the second season don't even care to finish and already forgot what it was even supposed to be about. he was fun on his own but in a group of Superfriends it just becomes a boring earnest military superhero show.

He's also just not someone to root for anymore and the antics are too bombastic and unbelievable to get away with in these big cities in a way I could roll with in podunk town.

Beating up or killing some street level drug dealers to rob them really was the turning point for putting up with him, that's just beating down and doing the same kind of crimes that play into the system of their being street level dealers as a problem. He did nothing to help the problem and giving the money to a church was also sketchy even if they were making it out to be a good act.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Reviews of the first few episodes of the new season of True Detective are in and most are saying it's one of the best, up there if not better than season 1.

quote:

With 15 reviews counted on Rotten Tomatoes, the show is pulling in a stellar 100% (8.7/10) compared to the 91% (9.0/10) of Season 1, 47% (6.3/10) of Season 2, and 84% (7.65/10) of Season 3.

On Metacritic it sits at 88/100 compared to the 87/100 for Season 1, 61/100 for Season 2 and 72/100 for Season 3. Here’s a sampling of review quotes:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/true-detective-night-country-reviews-are-in/

mystes
May 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Reviews of the first few episodes of the new season of True Detective are in and most are saying it's one of the best, up there if not better than season 1.

I hadn't noticed that there was going to be another season, but sure, with ratings like that I'll watch it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GreenNight posted:

Oh hell yeah, that and the new Curb are the reasons I haven't cancelled my Max sub yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watch that British show Taskmaster on Youtube, so sometimes the algorithm recommends me other British game shows, like 8 out of 10 Cats Countdown or Would I Lie To You, and those are decent enough background sounds. But earlier today I watched an episode of this show called Only Connect.

What the gently caress is wrong with Britain? That has run 19 seasons? How? Why? Why hasn't anyone told them to stop?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Whats your problem with it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I watch that British show Taskmaster on Youtube, so sometimes the algorithm recommends me other British game shows, like 8 out of 10 Cats Countdown or Would I Lie To You, and those are decent enough background sounds. But earlier today I watched an episode of this show called Only Connect.

What the gently caress is wrong with Britain? That has run 19 seasons? How? Why? Why hasn't anyone told them to stop?
Do you just not like that it's a straight up game show rather than a comedy panel show?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The greatest thing the NYT Connections game did was get me watching Only Connect again.

Connections
Puzzle #205
🟦🟦🟦🟦
🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟪🟪🟪🟪

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Whats your problem with it?

It's insanely boring! It's the most boring TV show I've ever seen, it's like a joke from The Simpsons.