Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Like, when the host explained the answer or even when the contestants managed to work it out, they were just like, "oh, ok, yeah that makes sense". It's the only time I've ever watched a game show where it felt like the contestants were playing along out of politeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Really setting you up for Victoria's run on Taskmaster too

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 3, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gripweed posted:

It's insanely boring! It's the most boring TV show I've ever seen, it's like a joke from The Simpsons.
Have you ever watched, I don't know, jeopardy?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mystes posted:

Nah Ken doesn't awkwardly riff for two minutes after every question with the least charismatic people in the world. Five words max then on to the next one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mystes posted:

Jeopardy is so much faster. Jeopardy is Crank 2 compared to Only Connect. Only Connect spends like two minutes just to get to, "That's right, they are all authors who have written books with the name of a season in the title!" *extremely polite applause*

mystes
May 31, 2006

Well I think only connect is fine if not super fast paced and exciting

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I looked up an episode on youtube. This definitely feels like it was supposed to be an extended bit in Tina Fey style show and then they forgot it was a bit and then made 19 seasons of it. The theme music is straight out of one of those history videos you'd have to watch in high school when the teacher doesn't feel like teaching. The contestants are introduced with facts about them that seem like they were supposed to be funny, and they pick categories by choosing a Egyptian hieroglyph for some reason. I could definitely see there being an episode of 30 Rock where Jenna says "There was that time when I was accidentally on a British game show" and then it cuts to her on this show doing a bad British accent.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 3, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
This whole conversation reminds me of that Eddie Izzard "British vs American movies" bit in dressed to kill

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We watched UK Jeopardy tonight and it made the episode of Only Connect we had watched previously feel like a lightning quiz in comparison.

I don’t watch OC a ton because it makes us feel incredibly stupid, but I will forever feel accomplished for 1. Having a legit answer for a round 2 problem with ‘BUKKAKE’ and 2. Getting it faster than the team got their inferior answer.

Watching it does make NYT Connections mostly feel as easy as piss too, and I’ve only gotten a handful of them wrong since it started.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I already have a hard enough time answering Only Connect at its normal speed so I do not wish for it to go any faster

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Best news of the year. Apparently Oldman is down to do 8 seasons (there are 8 books, if I understand correctly) which is just fantastic.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gripweed posted:

I watch that British show Taskmaster on Youtube, so sometimes the algorithm recommends me other British game shows, like 8 out of 10 Cats Countdown or Would I Lie To You, and those are decent enough background sounds. But earlier today I watched an episode of this show called Only Connect.

What the gently caress is wrong with Britain? That has run 19 seasons? How? Why? Why hasn't anyone told them to stop?

Shut the gently caress up friendo, Only Connect is incredible. Once you click with it, you become one with the cosmos and begin ascension to godhood.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I just blazed through all three seasons of Slow Horses last week, and it's extremely my thing.

I think Lamb's character is a bit overdone at times, but the rest works extremely well.
Especially the pop culture references because I won't believe for a second that people in UK intelligence aren't constantly making Le Carre references.

I also think Lowden would make a great James Bond, but then there would be a technical challenge: making him appear tall.
He looks short in Slow Horses and I also didn't get the impression from The Gold (also a decent watch!) that Lowden was very tall. And of course in Dunkirk you mostly only saw him in a cockpit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only Connect is great. I watch it every time I go home to visit my mum so I’m always behind but then we binge a ton. Victoria is an amazing host and it’s fun when you actually get one right. Plus I’m really good at the missing vowels round at the end.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Escobarbarian posted:

Only Connect is great. I watch it every time I go home to visit my mum so I’m always behind but then we binge a ton. Victoria is an amazing host and it’s fun when you actually get one right. Plus I’m really good at the missing vowels round at the end.

I love Victoria on other shows, but I have never understood what is going on with that show. They'll list out, "The burning of the Library of Alexandria" and "A bushel of apples", and someone will say, "A cloudy day in April" or something, and everyone will go, "Yup, makes sense." And I'll just be sitting there all, 'What the gently caress just happened?!" But I get that's a me problem, and I'm just not on the wavelength of the contestants, and certainly not as smart as Victoria. She's great on her appearances on QI and Would I Lie to You, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I love Victoria on other shows, but I have never understood what is going on with that show. They'll list out, "The burning of the Library of Alexandria" and "A bushel of apples", and someone will say, "A cloudy day in April" or something, and everyone will go, "Yup, makes sense." And I'll just be sitting there all, 'What the gently caress just happened?!" But I get that's a me problem, and I'm just not on the wavelength of the contestants, and certainly not as smart as Victoria. She's great on her appearances on QI and Would I Lie to You, though.
That's why they're asked to explain the answer though. The explanation is usually pretty clear even if it's later in the season and the actual question is insane and there's no way a normal person or someone who's not British could have gotten it

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Anyone who says modern Simpsons is only good with gimmick episodes obviously didn’t see the episode Homer’s Crossing. The episode is about Homer becoming a crossing guard, and also the militarization of police forces.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol, sounds interesting, I'll check it out

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Khanstant posted:

Reacher lost me with the second season don't even care to finish and already forgot what it was even supposed to be about. he was fun on his own but in a group of Superfriends it just becomes a boring earnest military superhero show.

He's also just not someone to root for anymore and the antics are too bombastic and unbelievable to get away with in these big cities in a way I could roll with in podunk town.

Beating up or killing some street level drug dealers to rob them really was the turning point for putting up with him, that's just beating down and doing the same kind of crimes that play into the system of their being street level dealers as a problem. He did nothing to help the problem and giving the money to a church was also sketchy even if they were making it out to be a good act.

I still love Reacher and I'm enjoying the season but I do like the atmosphere and supporting cast of Season 1 better. Finley and Rosco are great and while I like Robert Patrick, Bruce McGill with his sick cane clears him

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah while the special investigators aren't exactly the same as Reacher there's not a lot of contrast between him and them when it comes to methods.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do they get results?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Do they get results?

In the gym yes.

Just look at him.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

NYPD guy tries to bring some of that energy that you had in season 1 between reacher and his allies but he's not there nearly enough

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BenjaminCrew1/status/1742412141846557112

Nowadays you wouldn't even see Mr Ed on a surf board before the season finale

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I thought he was a bad boy smoking horse in the thumbnail but he is a sad punished guy instead

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Horses were allowed to smoke in school in the 1950s

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Edward Mass posted:

Anyone who says modern Simpsons is only good with gimmick episodes obviously didn’t see the episode Homer’s Crossing. The episode is about Homer becoming a crossing guard, and also the militarization of police forces.

When that episode aired, I posted around here because I was perplexed how good that was.
In turn someone linked me to this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eazXm7WEz50
I've since seen most of that guys channel, so thanks random goon who did that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

mystes posted:

That's why they're asked to explain the answer though. The explanation is usually pretty clear even if it's later in the season and the actual question is insane and there's no way a normal person or someone who's not British could have gotten it

Literally one time an answer amounted to 'loot quality signifier in MMOs' and I stopped to think about all the baffled regular folks out there who would have had no conceivable clue what the hell they were talking about.

(yes, I got it in one, sue me)

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Is there a MAFS (married at first sight) thread?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

When that episode aired, I posted around here because I was perplexed how good that was.
In turn someone linked me to this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eazXm7WEz50
I've since seen most of that guys channel, so thanks random goon who did that.

Thanks for the vid. Super Eyepatch Wolf had a hilarious cameo in this guy (FD Signifier) I watch regularly a couple of weeks ago that had me rolling. I’m actually going to give this season a go now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fyallm posted:

Naur

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

fyallm posted:

I hate that I can’t stop watching that show. UK and AU, anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Streaming is dying! But so is cable!

I have no idea what the TV landscape is gonna look like in 20 years.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's wild how quickly they forgot that not being expensive, annoying to use, and crammed with ads and upcharges like cable was what let Netflix take off back when it was good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Streaming is dying! But so is cable!

I have no idea what the TV landscape is gonna look like in 20 years.

I know "number goes down", but...what?

edit: I THINK it says it started dying in 2018? But why? And is this streaming exclusive? (What defines "Pay TV"?)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 4, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's the main reason they are all pushing for ad supported tiers and FAST.

The real collapse is going to be in the advertising industry and it's going to yank the legs out from under everything else.

Right now, companies are still overpaying for ad placement within shows (even if that price has been dropping) so the media companies are trying to cash in on that while they can. We are very quickly approaching a point though where traditional advertising becomes nearly worthless. Why spend the money with an ad agency producing a commercial and then pay a media conglomerate for a commercial slot when they can toss a comparatively tiny amount of money at some youtuber or the latest flavor on tiktok to drink a Coke in their videos?

The drying up of ad revenue is going to expose the next dirty secret that everyone already knows. They are overproducing content.

Take even just movies. In 2000, there were 371 movies released. In 2018, there were 873 movies released. That did crash because of COVID, but we're seeing a rebound with 449 movies released in 2022.

TV has seen similar explosion. In 2009, there were 210 original TV series. In 2022 that number was 599.

These series and movies also keep getting more and more expensive. It's unsustainable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

thrawn527 posted:

edit: I THINK it says it started dying in 2018? But why? And is this streaming exclusive? (What defines "Pay TV"?)

This is cable TV. VMVPD refers to Virtual Multichannel Video Programming Distributor (YoutubeTV, Hulu with LiveTV, Fubo, Sling...).

This is YOY growth. Prior to 2018, it was near flat as people were transitioning from Cable to VMVPD (just moving one bucket to another bucket), but now even the VMVPDs are losing subscribers as people reject linear TV altogether.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bring back radio storytelling broadcasts. Rerun George Burns and Gracie Allen radio show, one last ride before the public domain window creeps up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Khanstant posted:

Bring back radio storytelling broadcasts. Rerun George Burns and Gracie Allen radio show, one last ride before the public domain window creeps up.

You are going to lose your poo poo when you find out about Podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As to what happened in 2018, my guess is FAST. Turns out a chunk of people don't actually care all that much what they watch, they just want to have the burden of choice removed for background noise. Why pay $80 /month to watch Star Trek:TNG reruns on BBCA while you are doom scrolling when you can just turn on PlutoTV for free?