Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Watched the first episode of 3 Body Problem and it has me interested enough to keep watching. But I think this is the first time I’ve watched the first episode of a Netflix show and had it end with a “This season on…” bit, that feels like a very 2007 network procedural pilot episode aspect.

They've been doing them for their big ticket items for a year or two. Pretty sure one of the Sweet Tooths did this, Avatar, Blue Eye Samurai and The Witcher (3) definitely did. Might have been a YOU as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watching the New Pope. Did a binge of The Young Pope beforehand because it's been years since I watched it. The dip in quality is really disappointing.

First season was indulgent fun with "what if the Pope but hot and with parent issues", held together by this renegade wildcard pope with mad charisma. Genuinely interesting ideas put forth around what if the Pope decided to shroud his face and wizard-of-oz his reign, or the twist of the young guy being an ultra conservative.

Kind of muddles it's own message with him going from an extreme hard-line conservative in the first six episodes that is destroying the institution... to a guy who is still doing all that stuff but he's ok with this one gay guy now and sends a pedophile to Alaska so he's actually good at his job now.

But the New Pope just... kind of sucks. Malkovich is fine, but never has the spotlight in the same way Law does. His tragic backstory is littered in the episodes, but it isn't interesting. Whereas with Young Pope there's always a tension on what he's going to do, here you know Malkovich is a middle-of-the-road guy, so most of his scenes lack that thrill.

Worst bit tho is that the show only has two of the original female cast return, one from a supporting character to main cast, and hoo boy are they singularly depicted as sex objects. In S1, a very devout lady is blackmailed into trying to seduce the young pope and she has him cope a feel. In this season her husband has left her so she has to strip for rich kids (which are shown) with that werewolf disease and then she falls in love with the werewolf kid. The savy media lady from S1 returns and is on her knees in front of an old guy jacking it in her second scene, and goes topless is various arty dream sequences to follow.

Don't have an issue with a show doing scenes like those, but it's such a large proportion of both characters scenes and they're the main women protagonists in the story... just feels really gross.

On top of all of that tho, haven't seen a show since West World that's pissed me off more for dialog that is a pong game of "DEEP STATEMENTS about life" that are the kind of poo poo your high roommate says to you. Easy to overlook those from S1, but christ, S2 is a slog of it.

Shame about it. Might still give the inevitiable third season a shot. Show is like a Baz Luhrmann in that it's style over substance, and hey turns out ripping your style from the Catholic Church is a great cheat.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 24, 2024

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished the Gentlemen and it's a marked improvement over the movie and probably the best thing Guy Ritchie has done in years.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Shageletic posted:

The Paul's gf thing doesn't sit right yeah. There's a couple times in the show that happens like with Schmidt dating two women at the same time and you expecting to sympathize with him and Jess going back to the doctor in the later seasons. It's a relationship sitcom that has 3 plots an episode and like 26 episodes a season some of this stuff isn't going to land well, and some of the underlying exist attitudes of a specific writer is going to bleed thru. So if the show as a whole is tinged too much by that fair enough. its not for you..

But I'd also point out that there's hardly any sitcom older than 10 yrs ago that does hold up in that regard. Even favorites like Seinfeld have episodes that treat women as disposable non entities, amd shows like Friends is so riven by that I cant even watch it anymore (I thought it was gross even when it was airing). And Id say as a show with a female lead it was mostly progressive compared to alot of relationship siticoms at the time by including things from a women perspective. So again it's cool to drop if isn't for you but those issues weren't enough for me to drop it out of distaste.

the main issue for me is that the writers are aping seinfeld and IASIP but they don't seem to realize that a core component of what made those work is that they are never presented as anything other than assholes. the audience can sympathize maybe, but we don't empathize and aren't expected to, unlike here with new girl.

quote:

But just for the sake of conversation I am curious in following up on a couple things you mentioned and explaining why they didnt hit that way for myself.

The pretending to be Romney thing was an rear end in a top hat move that was called out as such with Schmidt suffering and not gaining anything in the end, which is a traditional sitcom trope.

yeah the setup taken on its face is fine. my issue is that, for the joke to work, the show has to present being a romney as something that would be desirable to the average woman in california in 2011/12. I'll cop to my own bias here, I'm viewing this subplot in the context of the show being developed and presented by the fox network.

quote:

Nick complaining about being Jess's bf without any of the benefits does touch on something I've noticed irl, where you're so sympatico with someone that the lines between friendship and romantic obligations kinda blur and you have to firmly put up some boundaries.

I suppose it makes sense for an emotionally-immature man to express this sentiment in a misogynistic way ("you owe me sex for doing you favors"), but it would have been a great opportunity for jess to point that out while also owning up to her pushing boundaries. I just can't figure out if the show realizes nick is as much a dbag as schmidt.

quote:

And this is the one that I'm having the most trouble understanding, Winston not being really a "black person." I don't know the racial makeup of the writing room but I can say that his character took up sometime to fill out and define itself, but as a black person I thoroughly enjoyed how weird and idiosyncratic his character got esp from the end of S2 on. The show wisely never really tried to address him as quote end quote black, outside of one episode that gratefully had the white characters being told they didn't know anything about it, and I thought that was refreshing. I loved Winston, outside of (and this is a spoiler from the later seasons OP so feel free to skip) him being a cop, tho I do know black ppl that are the same way, so I'm going to have to very much disagree on that point unless you wanna explain it further.

Tl;dr: everyone's lines are different, so whatever.

my issue is not that he's not acting like "a real black person," my issue is that he doesn't act like a character. the show doesn't treat him like one, not in the same way as nick and schmidt imo; he doesn't get nearly the same amount of screen time or attention. it was obvious to me from the way they replaced coach with him—to the showmakers, he's just the guy filling the "black guy" quota. as a disclosure, I myself am not black but that's just how I felt watching him in relation to the other characters.

I don't really care about spoilers but having quoted your post and seen it, I think I would have been really pissed off watching that development for winston. not really a surprising turn since, again, this is a fox network program.

the show feels like pg it's always sunny, but they missed the part where we laugh at them, not with them. I think something gets lost in having to play to a crowd that's expecting an audience surrogate.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chairman Capone posted:

Watched the first episode of 3 Body Problem and it has me interested enough to keep watching. But I think this is the first time I’ve watched the first episode of a Netflix show and had it end with a “This season on…” bit, that feels like a very 2007 network procedural pilot episode aspect.

That was weird to me as well, I wonder where that decision came from, like it is something Netflix is pushing with new shows to boost viewer retention.

Also, the biggest mystery in the show is how Rosalind Chao looks younger now than in Deep Space Nine.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I watched the first episode of 3BP and I'm very worried it's going to go down the extremely tired "but what if it's god???" route. never read the book but I'm really not interested in another science versus faith story, if that's what this is

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've had See on my watchlist for ages now, I got partway through episode 1 a year or two back and remember thinking how ridiculous it was. I didn't continue watching. Is it worth me ignoring how silly it is, because it's a very good show? Or is it mediocre?

mystes
May 31, 2006

kalel posted:

I watched the first episode of 3BP and I'm very worried it's going to go down the extremely tired "but what if it's god???" route. never read the book but I'm really not interested in another science versus faith story, if that's what this is
I only read part of the first book (I need to pick it up again) but AFAIK I don't think it's that kind of story

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mystes posted:

I only read part of the first book (I need to pick it up again) but AFAIK I don't think it's that kind of story

that's a bit of a relief. I'll keep watching because it seems like it could show off some cool sci-fi stuff

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

kalel posted:

that's a bit of a relief. I'll keep watching because it seems like it could show off some cool sci-fi stuff

It is (in my opinion) dumb scifi stuff, but it is all scifi stuff, no supernatural stuff or gods.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kalel posted:

It's definitely not that story.

Qubee posted:

I've had See on my watchlist for ages now, I got partway through episode 1 a year or two back and remember thinking how ridiculous it was. I didn't continue watching. Is it worth me ignoring how silly it is, because it's a very good show? Or is it mediocre?

I quite like it, but it does require a degree of ignoring the general ridiculous premise. If you can do that, I think it's worthwhile. I think there is some really good acting (albeit some hammyness too), set design/worlbuilding, and fighting. This might seem like damning with faint praise but I think it's probably the best acting I've seen Momoa do, too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The funny part is I used to be mad at them for "ruining" Game of Thrones but in the years since I just stopped caring about it completely and was embarrassed I was invested in it at all, so I no longer hold what they did to GoT against them in a circular way because Game of Thrones sucks so why would anyone try that hard to finish it off who cares it game of thrones gently caress it.

In a weird way they did us a favor so nobody has to watch the Amazon of thrones show.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kalel posted:

Yeah people have already said but yeah it’s definitely not that kinda story.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's very much not the sort of story that believes in God, or people for that matter. It is also a moron's understanding of most science, and falls apart as a story really quickly.

This still makes it better than 99% of the trash that gets published in sci-fi, so have fun if it's your bag.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Chicken Nugget was insane and so good. Korean Series about a girl who gets turned into a chicken nugget. Thought it might be a one-note joke but glad I didn’t skip it, binged the whole thing today.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Qubee posted:

I binged it. The show is exactly what the first episode is like, and while there are twists and turns and the world get bigger as they go along, if you don’t like the premise, you’re gonna have a bad time

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
See seems really stupid, but it's an interesting story. I agree though, if you don't like the concept of a blind society, then you probably won't like the rest of the show.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Also, the biggest mystery in the show is how Rosalind Chao looks younger now than in Deep Space Nine.
She definitely looks older to me. I'm actually wondering if they put older-age makeup to closer match the timeline for the character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Feel like I'm going a little crazy because I was watching a video about a terrible Garfield videogame that was based on the second live action/CG movie and I'm pretty sure that Matt Berry is playing the narrator. It doesn't appear anywhere in his credits and I'm unable to find a video of the game's credits online to verify but it definitely sounds like him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

xerxus posted:

She definitely looks older to me. I'm actually wondering if they put older-age makeup to closer match the timeline for the character.

I mean Chao’s only 66 and I think the character she’s playing is supposed to be in her early 80s? So she’s definitely aged up with makeup.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Me watching 95% the X-Men 97 ep1: well this is fine but mostly a forgettable exercise in nostalgia so I can just move on...

Last 30 seconds: GODDAMNIT

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

xerxus posted:

Yeah, it seems kind of crazy to me to think she looks younger than she did in DS9.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kaynorr posted:

Me watching 95% the X-Men 97 ep1: well this is fine but mostly a forgettable exercise in nostalgia so I can just move on...

It being a TV soap opera is perfect for the property.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

It does not get less ridiculous, just a little predictable by the end of s2. The Queen's accent does not get any less insane. There's a time jump v early in S1, so don't worry about the A plot grinding to a halt. If it doesn't pass the three ep test, drop it and don't worry.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
3 Body Problem is interesting, but every single human character in it who isn't Davos Seaworth is just super awful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Oasx posted:

3 Body Problem is interesting, but every single human character in it who isn't Davos Seaworth is just super awful.

:wtc:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is Netflix going to make the rest of 3 Body Problem? I binged through it and the end was kind of "welp"

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
House of the Dragon trailers are out, from the perspectives of the two sides. Won't post linki BC mobile.

Which side are you on, if you care?

Greens have one semi-sympathetic character. Blacks have two, three if you count a minor one. But I realize that sympathy for characters is a bad way to choose who to root for in GoT.

Blacks are in the right in the modern sense of us thinking it should have been the first born regardless of sex, the most capable, who everyone swore to follow, and the one that the old king wanted. But Greens may be in the right that the laws say it has to be a boy regardless of who anyone swore to or who the old king wanted.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

There is the guy who is constantly smoking weed, the woman who is constantly smoking cigarettes, the cop who is constantly smoking cigarettes inside, the geek, the guy who has no real skills but is nice, and Jin who is mostly just there.

None of them are particularly likable apart from Jin, and Benedict Wong is completely misused.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

Blacks are in the right in the modern sense of us thinking it should have been the first born regardless of sex, the most capable, who everyone swore to follow, and the one that the old king wanted. But Greens may be in the right that the laws say it has to be a boy regardless of who anyone swore to or who the old king wanted.

IMO they are both wrong in the modern sense because they are monarchs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oasx posted:

There is the guy who is constantly smoking weed, the woman who is constantly smoking cigarettes, the cop who is constantly smoking cigarettes inside,

I wonder if the grizzled pro that doesn't play by the rules but gets results characters will ever get past the smoking indoors shorthand.

It works for Slow Horses, not as much here. Maybe British cop guy was like that in the books, I don't know.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I wrote about this before I think. There was a period for a while where there weren't any cigarettes in magazines. Movies and shows still had them to show a character was bohemian or troubled or it was the 1980s or what have you. But since tobacco companies couldn't pay for product placement there was really no reason to have the models or those featured smoking since it just makes photos harder to take.

Then they started resurfacing and it got to a point I'd say 1 in 10 or at least 20 shots in magazine had a lit cigarette. A little while later there were a few articles in print and on the internet about how smoking is cool again. The last straw for me was a piece on a famous actress I like and the interviewer said he convinced the ex-smoker to have one in the shoot because it would look cooler.

I wrote in that if the magazine is trying to seem hip they should do features on hip things. That if a model or actress doesn't seem cool without a lit cigarette they're probably just not cool. But more likely it's the fault of a shoot director if they can't think of anything else. How the magazine was being lame.

They asked if they could print the letter in its entirely as an article. Which I readily agreed to. They said they'll get back to me with specifics.

They never did of course.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The smoking in 3 Body's a thematic point about human short sightedness and their death drive, isn't it? Hence the cancer subplot and this idea of conservation and sharing a planet with rampaging destruction caused by human greed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

IMO they are both wrong in the modern sense because they are monarchs.

They're also wrong in the context of the show and books that until the last season were pretty clear that monarchy was bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-rxmk6zPxA

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished Lioness and I have no idea what make to make of it. It is simultaneously "gently caress yeah, let's kill some terrorists" and "we're just creating the next generation of terrorists". The main characters are also both stupid and assholes: Zoe Saldana's character who's supposed to be very capable pulls out an undercover agent to give her a crash course in torture which leaves the agent with bruises that almost blows her cover. Her daughter survives a crash which to spontaneously abort. The dad then basically calls her a drunken slut who caused the death of her friends, he's supposed to be the good guy. They fair better than the rest of the special ops team however who's biggest character traits are their beards.

Then outta loving nowhere, Morgan Freeman appears.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Alhazred posted:

Then outta loving nowhere, Morgan Freeman appears.

You gave me a laugh with the thought of a movie where suddenly a black title card appears on screen and reads 'Then, out of nowhere, Morgan Freeman appears' then the film just goes on as before with no MF.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

kaynorr posted:

The first episode is basically "Remember all the characters and how cool they are?"

The second episode is where the show really justifies its revival beyond that. Speaking to the bigger themes that the X-Men deal with that still apply to the real world today. And giving longtime fans a tease of some well renowned stories from the comics that it has plans to adapt.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I know I'm late to the party but I just finished Search Party. Didn't know much of anything about it going in and I thought the first couple episodes were meh but then it picked up somewhat, and then after getting to the season 1 finale I was hooked and binged the rest over the next couple days. I can't think of another show I've watched that took quite so many big swings, they definitely didn't all connect but when they did it was incredible and I deeply respect it. Now I'm on a probably futile hunt for something similarly wild.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

woke kaczynski posted:

I know I'm late to the party but I just finished Search Party. Didn't know much of anything about it going in and I thought the first couple episodes were meh but then it picked up somewhat, and then after getting to the season 1 finale I was hooked and binged the rest over the next couple days. I can't think of another show I've watched that took quite so many big swings, they definitely didn't all connect but when they did it was incredible and I deeply respect it. Now I'm on a probably futile hunt for something similarly wild.

I dunno your tastes, but the best I've got are Fortitude and Raised By Wolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The other two.