Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Raised By Wolves for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I try not to recommend shows that won't ever get resolved except maybe by a comic in a decade.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

Raised By Wolves for sure.

I keep thinking about the final few episodes. Both genuinely epic in tone, in the old school mythological sense, and also so ludictously batshit that I couldn't help but laugh.

Really looking forward to Netflix's upcoming KAOS, hope that it lives up to that title and the casting.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I try not to recommend shows that won't ever get resolved except maybe by a comic in a decade.

the end works well enough as a finale given the weird as gently caress nature of the show.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
2 episodes into 3BP and I can't quite describe why, but the dialogue just feels off. The non-subtitled parts feel like a poorly translated dub like one of the spanish/italian series that Mrs McHuge watches.

I'm also severely struggling with the whole "all the particle accelerators in the world are malfunctioning in the same exact way at the same time and producing results that are against the laws of physics, better shut down all research!". If that were to happen it would be one of the most noteworthy scientific discoveries in decades, there is no way they would be shutting down programs.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Big McHuge posted:

The non-subtitled parts feel like a poorly translated dub

Just being true to the books.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

...Raised by Wolves...

:negative:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

...Raised by Wolves...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Every day I praise Sol, and I fear that he doesn’t hear those prayers.

Never the less, all glory to Sol, giver of light.

*sticks arm in random wall holes*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sol will provide, but only once we eat these weird ball bearing eyes

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Big McHuge posted:

2 episodes into 3BP and I can't quite describe why, but the dialogue just feels off. The non-subtitled parts feel like a poorly translated dub like one of the spanish/italian series that Mrs McHuge watches.

I'm also severely struggling with the whole "all the particle accelerators in the world are malfunctioning in the same exact way at the same time and producing results that are against the laws of physics, better shut down all research!". If that were to happen it would be one of the most noteworthy scientific discoveries in decades, there is no way they would be shutting down programs.

:agreed: but in fairness I can appreciate that it's very hard to write believable characters who talk like human beings, but who are also scientists who have to deliver high concepts to a lay audience

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Open Source Idiom posted:

I keep thinking about the final few episodes. Both genuinely epic in tone, in the old school mythological sense, and also so ludictously batshit that I couldn't help but laugh.

Really looking forward to Netflix's upcoming KAOS, hope that it lives up to that title and the casting.

I'm rewatching RbW and I'm only halfway through S1 and it's good and werd, but I'm looking forward to S2 for all the truly nutty poo poo.

I hadn't heard of KAOS but that looks cool.

Sell me on Fortitude. I'm almost at the end of S1. Does it get better or go places?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

Sell me on Fortitude. I'm almost at the end of S1. Does it get better or go places?

It's just mad. It starts out as something of a boilerplate British murder thriller, but it radically reinvents itself as it goes along. It has wild twists, the lead actors get to mad things, a handful of well choreographed fight scenes, a seriously high body count of regulars and manages a weirdly comic tone in some of the oddest places. There's camp, but I vibed with it.

Roughly speaking, it starts as a murder mystery and ends (light-ish spoilers) as a town wide descent into madness.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Odds on we're 3/4 months out from a cancellation announcement

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1772273640446317052

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 26, 2024

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

Despite a recent BAFTA TV Awards nomination for leading actor Paapa Essiedu, Sky has confirmed it has canceled its sci-fi series “The Lazarus Project” after two seasons.

Well, I guess I can take this off my backlog. I heard season 2 ended with a hell of a cliff hanger.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

...Raised by Wolves...

I just want Abubakar Salim to get a new project.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

High Warlord Zog posted:

Odd on we're 3/4 months out from a cancellation announcement

That would be dissapointing. Season 1 of Euphoria is some of my favourite television. Definitely top 10. Part of it is it being utterly relateable for reasons I won't get into. But it's also just a really good story well told in a stylistic way.

Season 2 was just fine tv as well.

And/but the third season is a head scratcher for me until I see a trailer. The second season ends with Rue saying she stayed clean & sober for the rest of high school.

This could mean:
A) Sam could go in an interesting direction with this. Maybe she goes off the college and other problems facing Gen Z and Millenials crop up. Maybe it's about how she overcame her problems in the first place. Maybe the lull was temporary and the show gets serious with more hardcore drug use (Zendaya could pull it off I think.)
B) It was a lie or is just ignored, and the show keeps being about Rue being an actively using addict with bipolar disorder.

So hit or miss.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just finished the fifth episode of 3 Body Problem. The nanowire scene was pretty gnarly.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Just finished the fifth episode of 3 Body Problem. The nanowire scene was pretty gnarly.

same and yeah lol. that's a loooot of dead kids

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/leepace/status/1772237827926843405

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Big McHuge posted:

I don't recall them saying every particle accelerator is malfunctioning in the same exact way. They said that every single one is producing completely gibberish and nonsense results with no pattern.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

https://x.com/leepace/status/1772560161766289748?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

High Warlord Zog posted:

Odds on we're 3/4 months out from a cancellation announcement

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1772273640446317052

Zendaya's gonna be in her forties when the third episode is filmed.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Ya'll acting like it doesn't often take 3 years to bring out a new season of an HBO/ABC/FX show at the best of times.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Ya'll acting like it doesn't often take 3 years to bring out a new season of an HBO/ABC/FX show at the best of times.

The two year gap between season 7 and 8 of GoT was pretty unprecedented and that was a show with lots of special effects shot on a variety of different locations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Alhazred posted:

The two year gap between season 7 and 8 of GoT was pretty unprecedented and that was a show with lots of special effects shot on a variety of different locations.

Hmm. The last three seasons of The Wire had two years between them. And my favourite FX show also had a pair of two year skips in a run of five seasons total. I don't think either had as many actors with big projects outside of the show at the same time. If they can bring it out by the middle of 2025 it might be aiming for a record for a show that didn't officially go on hiatus (or not I'm not sure) but it then could just be attributed to Hollywood grinding to a halt and maybe taking HBO at face value that they want to make this season special, rather than a sign the production was troubled.

A much bigger worry is that like I said earlier it's a show about a teenage drug addict whose lead has now been out of her teenage years longer than she ever was an actual teenager, and where in-show her character says she stopped doing drugs long-term. They almost by definition have to make serious changes to how the show is set up.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chairman Capone posted:

I saw this one last night, and I still can't figure out why they did that rather than just stopping the ship from Waterworld and interrogating them. Maybe I missed it?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This is a wild swing since I don't know if anyone here sounds like the right audience for it, but Davey And Jonesie's Locker, a Hulu/Amazon co-production, is kind of fantastic. It's a Canadian highschool science-fiction throwback about a pair of intolerable teen girls who accidentally get trapped in a Sliders scenario. I didn't think it would be very good, but I'm a trash racoon so of course I ended up checking it out. Honestly, I was kind of blown away, and had a really fun time with a very silly show that's proud of its limitations and still happy to punch about its weight.

So yeah, Sliders in a highschool. But these alternative worlds are, honestly, kind of amazing? They're frequently so stupid that it wraps back around to being genius, and are shamelessly low budget and happy to show that off at any and every opportunity. So you'll have an entire Mad Max post-apocalyptic scenario, complete with various cult leaders and their associated fashion cults, but when it comes down to portraying the murderous bike gang that has taken over the school hallways, the show only has the budget for one bike. (The gang, we're told, has become really good at sharing.) There's another episode where a prop visibly malfunctions midscene, and all the actors keep going on while pretending not to notice -- which ends up being insanely funny.

The lead two, fantastically, openly recognise how stupid everything is but basically love it all anyway, while being completely ignorant to danger and responsibility to a near sociopathic degree. (When it's explained to them that their dimensional jumping causes the displacement and death of their alternative copies they don't even appear to notice.) They have really believable friend chemistry, and are very enthusiastic and funny, and you can tell they were having a ball filming everything. That unpretentious charm carries the show a long, long way.

The only thing the show takes remotely seriously is its villain, who's also really great. The actress is basically out of a completely different kind of show, and is giving this shaded, nuanced performance with like, layers and poo poo. She gets to be actually dangerous and do mean things, but this, again, ends up being something of a very dark joke, as she's slowly driven insane by the unserious inanity of the setting and the people in it.

But yeah this show is loving hilarious. The third episode is one of the funniest things I've seen in ages, just an absolute pisstake of the kind of thing you'll have seen a billion times in Canadian science-fiction productions. I was worried that the show had blown its best jokes too early, but then this episode was, somehow, upstaged by a pitch perfect Riverdale parody later on in the season. One that (tone spoilers) gets that Riverdale isn't just riddiculous and stupid, but also manages to capture the slightly sinister edge the series could often have, and takes a full tilt into B-grade horror. Which is exactly what Riverdale would do.

So yeah, it's Sliders meets Community, if it was written by the DC's Legends Of Tomorrow gang. I know enough about goon tastes that a lot of you won't be able to stand this thing if you give it a try, particularly since it only really starts showing off its potential from the second episode onwards. BUT if you've read this far then you kind of know whether this show is for you or not. It was definitely for me. I've watched the entire thing and had an absolute ball.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 26, 2024

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

A much bigger worry is that like I said earlier it's a show about a teenage drug addict whose lead has now been out of her teenage years longer than she ever was an actual teenager, and where in-show her character says she stopped doing drugs long-term. They almost by definition have to make serious changes to how the show is set up.

If it does happen they'll set it in college or post high school with the most in-demand actors being geographically dispersed (one in NY, one in LA, maybe one doing and MFA in Iowa, or something similar) so they can silo them off to reduce scheduling conflicts. But between most of the mains being in high demand, the unprecedented hiatus for a YA show, the showrunner coming of a major dud, and HBOs new owners being shitcan happy, my prediction is cancellation.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 26, 2024

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

IRQ posted:

I saw this one last night, and I still can't figure out why they did that rather than just stopping the ship from Waterworld and interrogating them. Maybe I missed it?

They briefly talked about the various non-lethal options, but they were afraid that the people on the ship would have time to erase the evidence

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

High Warlord Zog posted:

If it does happen they'll set it in college or post high school with the most in-demand actors being geographically dispersed (one in NY, one in LA, maybe one doing and MFA in Iowa, or something similar) so they can silo them off to reduce scheduling conflicts. But between most of the mains being in high demand, the unprecedented hiatus for a YA show, the showrunner coming of a major dud, and HBOs new owners being shitcan happy, my prediction is cancellation.

Didn't one of the leads also kill themselves recently meaning they are loosing a popular character AND the showrunner has had some rumblings of being abusive?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Zendaya is gonna be filming the new Spiderman movie which is one reason given that the show is delayed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

Didn't one of the leads also kill themselves recently meaning they are loosing a popular character

The show has basically written him off at the end of the second season, so it shouldn't be a huge problem.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

PriorMarcus posted:

Didn't one of the leads also kill themselves recently meaning they are loosing a popular character AND the showrunner has had some rumblings of being abusive?

If you consider an od as killing themselves then yes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you consider an od as killing themselves then yes.

Oh, I thought it had been a deliberate OD, apologies for misremembering.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I mean, sometimes you can't know. Often in fact. That's important to remember. A fatal overdose can be anything from 'Oooh, I have a concert tomorrow and dinner with friends next week. This is going to be a good month.' and then it's something stronger than you thought you were taking, relapse without accounting for tolerance, knowing one of these days it won't end well but not being able to stop, knowing you're crossing a line but still wanting the effects of a higher dose, ambivalence about surviving, through to 'This is it.'

We shouldn't really speculate given the range of possibilities and not being able to read a person's mind.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is a wild swing since I don't know if anyone here sounds like the right audience for it, but Davey And Jonesie's Locker, a Hulu/Amazon co-production, is kind of fantastic. It's a Canadian highschool science-fiction throwback about a pair of intolerable teen girls who accidentally get trapped in a Sliders scenario. I didn't think it would be very good, but I'm a trash racoon so of course I ended up checking it out. Honestly, I was kind of blown away, and had a really fun time with a very silly show that's proud of its limitations and still happy to punch about its weight.

Haha I caught most of this a couple days ago and thought it was great. Way funnier than a Canadian teen show has any right to be. Fun premise, I like how they pretty much destroy every sliders portal universd they pop through.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Aphex- posted:

I don't recall them saying every particle accelerator is malfunctioning in the same exact way. They said that every single one is producing completely gibberish and nonsense results with no pattern.

Which is also no reason for shutting them down and giving up. Some of the biggest discoveries in science has been made when someone said "this doesn't add up"

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Big McHuge posted:

I'm also severely struggling with the whole "all the particle accelerators in the world are malfunctioning in the same exact way at the same time and producing results that are against the laws of physics, better shut down all research!"

3 Boomer Problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

3BP is a collection of very interesting sci fi ideas with an abysmal plot and characters. Book readers have they done the imaginary gf stuff yet