Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for December, 2023?
This poll is closed.
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 4 5.97%
:byodame: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) 0 0%
:rant: Eddie Kingston (ROH World Champion) 40 59.70%
:smug: MJF (FORMER AEW Champion) 3 4.48%
:krakken: Samoa Joe (AEW Champion) 12 17.91%
Blake Christian (GCW Champion) 0 0%
Madoka Kikuta (FORMER Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
:shehuck: Luis Mante (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
:krad: Katsuhiko Nakajima (Triple Crown Champion) 5 7.46%
T-Hawk (FORMER G-REX Champion) 0 0%
:hawksin: Hayato Tamura (G-REX Champion) 0 0%
Miyu Yamashita (Princess of Princess Champion) 0 0%
Maika (World of Stardom Champion) 1 1.49%
:coolzone: None of the Above 2 2.99%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Because one vote simply can never and will never make a difference, in November many goons didn't bother to take the 0.0000000000000001 seconds it takes to make a vote, because what would be the point, one extra vote never makes a difference. Oh sure you can pretty things up with talks about democracy and having your voice heard and all that, but let's all be cynical and accept the cold hard truth that one vote never, ever, ever makes a difference. Anyway, Athena and Yuki Ueno tied for 1st place in November because at least one person didn't bother to vote, making a huge difference to the final result. Vote you fucks, Jesus Christ. DDT became only the 4th promotion to make it to the winners circle in 2023, sharing the top place on the podium with ROH as Athena made it three months as The Kayfabe Octagon's Champion of the Month, only one behind MJF for 2023. This month we'll see who you don't bother to vote for because of the Herculean effort required to push a single button. But even though November had a pathetic number of votes, those votes say that ROH's Athena and DDT's Yuki Ueno were The Kayfabe Octagon's favorite champions for November of 2023.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Alex Shelley (Impact), Emi Sakura (Gatoh Move), IYO SKY (WWE Women's), Kenoh (NOAH), Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's), Rhea Ripley (WWE Women's World), Roman Reigns (WWE), SANADA (New Japan), Trinity, and Yuki Ueno (DDT) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) - After a long build-up, Athena finally faced off against her protege Billie Starkz at Final Battle, the last major show for ROH in 2023. The still astonishingly young Billie Starkz gave it everything she had in a highly lauded match, but there's a reason that Athena is both mentor AND Champion: she's the best! In an almost 30-minute match, Athena conquered at the end and Starkz returned to her position as protege... for now!

:byodame: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) - After defeating Skye Blue at the start of December, Storm wrapped up 2023 at World's End by defeating the original AEW Women's Champion: Riho! Everybody loves Riho, due to the enormous levels of "she loving rules" she crams into her tiny body. But thanks in part to her Butler Luther and #1 fan Mariah May, Toni Storm proved to be as timeless as she always claims, beating Riho before heading into the media scrum to call out the #1 free agent in women's wrestling today: Wendi Richter, she's gonna gently caress you up!

:rant: Eddie Kingston (ROH World Champion) - For a moment it looked like Eddie had bitten off more than he could chew by throwing his ROH Title and New Japan Strong title into the prize pool for the Continental Classic. But Eddie proved to not be a bum, but rather the KING of the bums! Defeating Bryan Danielson in the final of the Blue League to survive through to the Final of the Tournament, Eddie went on to get his first ever (!) singles victory over Jon Moxley at World's End. Winning the AEW Continental Title, it became one part of the three belts that make up a Triple Crown that appeals obviously to All Japan's biggest fan Eddie Kingston. While for the purposes of this poll only the ROH World Title counts as it the only one of the three belts that is the top belt for its promotion, the ROH Title is (for) now deeply linked in with the other two.

:smug: MJF (FORMER AEW Champion) - Despite being officially and by consensus of the subforum the most popular champion of the year, MJF's run as champion the last couple of the months has been heavily criticized here for being nonsensical, overly convoluted, and time-wasting. But the Devil storyline hit a major milestone at the end of World's End, moving things forward... and perhaps more importantly, finally detaching the AEW World Title from the storyline, because MJF is no longer the champion! Because at least one Samoan called Joe decided to do something with a World Title this month!

:krakken: Samoa Joe (AEW Champion) - JOE! JOE! JOE! JOE! JOE! JOE! JOE! JOE!

Blake Christian (GCW Champion) - Blake Christian continued his crazy-packed schedule as champion in 2023, defeating Alec Price, Little Guido, Starboy Charlie and, yes, Santa Claus himself.

Madoka Kikuta (FORMER Open the Dream Gate Champion) - The young champion fell at his 4th defense of the title, as he defended his title in a match featuring Dragon Gate's high profile and insane former champion Shun Skywalker. At the end of the match, Kikuta was no longer the champion, but neither was Skywalker!

:shehuck: Luis Mante (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Having lost his mask at Kobe Pro-Wrestling Festival in July, Diamante revealed his handsome face to the world and became Luis Mante... and worked his way up to a three-way for the title at Final Gate... and won! Luis Mante lost his mask in 2023 but gained a title, and ends 2023 with his first singles title in the company, and his first singles title in over a decade!

:krad: Katsuhiko Nakajima (Triple Crown Champion) - Having come over from NOAH and quickly becoming the Champion almost as a way of rubbing his old colleague/rival Kento Miyahara who couldn't beat Yuma Aoyagi himself, Nakajima cemented his bonafides by defeating Miyahara at Mania X, making that two singles wins over Miyahara in 2023, once in NOAH and now in All Japan as well. That is their 5th single match throughout their long intertwined career, and Miyahara has never been able to beat Nakajima... so now who is next for Nakajima!?!

T-Hawk (FORMER G-REX Champion) - On his 6th defense, T-Hawk failed to beat a wrestler he'd already managed to defeat in August.

:hawksin: Hayato Tamura (G-REX Champion) - Wrapping up the year, Tamura finally achieved what had continually eluded him ever since he lost to El Lindaman in the first ever match to choose the inaugural G-Rex Champion.

Miyu Yamashita (Princess of Princess Champion) - Traveling to America, Miyu Yamashita defeated Delmi Exo at the MLW/WTF One-Shot at the Melrose Ballroom in New York to wrap up her 2023 still as champion of Tokyo Joshi Pro.

Maika (World of Stardom Champion) - With Tam Nakano having to vacate the title, Maika faced off against Suzu Suzuki and came out on top at Dream Queendom, proving that her 2020 run as the "Future of Stardom" Champion was accurate!

:coolzone: None of the Above - If you're too cool for school and none of these champions are you for, then choose this option and see how the results play out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Only 3 days to vote so I can put up the Champ of the Year thread and then of course the Top Ten Wrestlers for 2023 thread :shepface:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you are required to do what i said on december 6th since it happen

Cavauro posted:

wrestling was in a decline for november. let's begin slowly heading toward a "boom" period for december and reach at least 70 votes during the next poll. or if the aew world title changes hand this month then let's have an emergency bo0m of 90 votes with 45 of them being for samoa joe. after which we can truly enter the bo0m for january. so it is written. so shall it come to pass

go

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
ED-DIE ED-DIE ED-DIE ED-DIE

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Eddie or Joe? My heart says Eddie but my head recognizes just how important it is to have the belt on someone besides MJF.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I voted for Athena who main evented the PPV I liked most of the ones I watched this month.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love Eddie but I've been waiting so long to be able to vote for Joe again, I'm so happy he's at the top where he belongs :hellyeah:

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Tough call between Joe and Eddie but the C2 was a classic and Eddie’s face should be in the OP as much as possible pardna

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

PS I’m looking forward to the year end poll because it feels like PSPs highest honour is more up in the air than I can ever think of before. I’m gonna vote for Joe.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
voting for eddie like I have every month since he beat claudio

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Miyu is still the coolest but I gotta give it to Maika!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
oh jeez

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
heart says eddie sos thats who we're going with

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

As much as I'd love giving Miyu a vote at any time and always, Eddie's story of betting on himself, placing his world championship into the prize pool, and fighting past all his demons to come out on top is one of the best stories AEW has ever told. The heart wants what the heart wants.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

He's not going to win but that won't stop me from voting for the babyfaced assassin Katsuhiko Nakajima

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

He's not going to win but that won't stop me from voting for the babyfaced assassin Katsuhiko Nakajima

He was so dedicated to the bit of representing Inokiism that he did the kicks from the butt scoot.

This is the easiest vote ever, especially as Kingston holds an AEW B title so should not be on the poll

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My usual approach is to give it to the champ whose victory or defense I enjoyed most this month but that's genuinely a 3 way tie. Kingston has had a perfect pro wrestling journey, so he gets it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no roman so i voted bum king eddie

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Sandman McMahon posted:

Tough call between Joe and Eddie but the C2 was a classic and Eddie’s face should be in the OP as much as possible pardna

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't usually vote unless the AEW/RoH champ is strong because AEW is the only show I watch.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't usually vote unless the AEW/RoH champ is strong because AEW is the only show I watch.

Should watch All Japan, it's good. I mean, sure, there's no devils or MJF or 6' tall Adam Cole or all that good stuff, but on the other hand, Kento, Yuma, Katsuhiko.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Should watch All Japan, it's good. I mean, sure, there's no devils or MJF or 6' tall Adam Cole or all that good stuff, but on the other hand, Kento, Yuma, Katsuhiko.

I don’t know who those people are but on the other, other hand Swerve, Hangman, Orange, Jarrett

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

forkboy84 posted:

I barely have enough attention span to watch all the AEW programming in any given week.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Kicky boy Nakajima takes it. As much as I love Eddie and his matches vs. Mox and Danielson the ROH World Title just doesn't hold the prestige and history of the AJPW Triple Crown. Nakajima is an unstoppable force. If Chint Dempsler or whatever wins the Triple Crown in a couple of days, shoot me in the head and bury me in a forest.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

voted eddie

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's winter, the world is cold, better bundle up

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

punk's

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1 day in and Eddie Kingston holds a massive lead, but there are still two days (ONLY two days) left to vote so anything could happen, since there are at the very least another 50-60 people who could be doing the extremely easy act of voting, and actually far more than that. So vote!

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

the world is cold, better bundle up

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
https://x.com/aew/status/1741980122071093275?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We've equaled last month's paltry total, and there is still a little less than a day left to vote... so do so!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
voting Samoa Joe because im not sure hes ever won one of these and thats kind of hurting ym head

could be wrong

but cant be wrong voting Joe anyway

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Eddie's winning last month, Naito's winning the next. February needs to be Joe's month gdi

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Don't blame me, I voted Athena

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Nakajima

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey, I voted for Joe. Don't blame me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

Eddie's winning last month, Naito's winning the next. February needs to be Joe's month gdi

Nakajima's month, all of them tbh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Get in under the wire if you can, this poll closes in roughly 4 hours!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Make that roughly an hour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014