Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for December, 2023?
This poll is closed.
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 4 5.97%
:byodame: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) 0 0%
:rant: Eddie Kingston (ROH World Champion) 40 59.70%
:smug: MJF (FORMER AEW Champion) 3 4.48%
:krakken: Samoa Joe (AEW Champion) 12 17.91%
Blake Christian (GCW Champion) 0 0%
Madoka Kikuta (FORMER Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
:shehuck: Luis Mante (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
:krad: Katsuhiko Nakajima (Triple Crown Champion) 5 7.46%
T-Hawk (FORMER G-REX Champion) 0 0%
:hawksin: Hayato Tamura (G-REX Champion) 0 0%
Miyu Yamashita (Princess of Princess Champion) 0 0%
Maika (World of Stardom Champion) 1 1.49%
:coolzone: None of the Above 2 2.99%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

Nakajima's month, all of them tbh

Doubtful unless he gets another defence this month, the Dempsey match was far overshadowed by the preview tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The year is over, and it must be Winter because the world is cold once again, better bundle up! Eddie Kingston's victory in the Continental Classic and the addition of the new AEW Continental Title to his New Japan Strong and ROH title makes him the holder of the Continental Crown. But it was the ROH portion of that Triple Crown that made him eligible for this month's vote, and he dominated! His closest competitor was Samoa Joe, finally given the top title in a major promotion like he'd always deserved for almost two decades now. Katsuhiko Nakajima's shift from NOAH to All Japan continues to reap benefits as he won the same Triple Crown that has so inspired Eddie Kingston, while Athena - much as she has all year - remained near the top of the voting. But only one person could win the poll this month (unless they drew like last month!) and for now and forever, December 2023 will remain Eddie Kingston's, who is having a very Happy New Year indeed.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poll for 2023's Champ of the Year is now up!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

Doubtful unless he gets another defence this month, the Dempsey match was far overshadowed by the preview tag

Yeah but the Ashino match is this month. And Nakajima beat Dempsey, right?

NAKAJIMA BEAT DEMPSEY, RIGHT?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I was right in 18 years of polls Samoa Joe hasn't won once.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lid posted:

I was right in 18 years of polls Samoa Joe hasn't won once.

tna only strapped him up the one time and his entire roh run was before there was a wrestlehut.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
That's more an indictment of wrestling in North america

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

agree

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Lid posted:

That's more an indictment of wrestling in North america

:hmmyes:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...how the gently caress did MICHAEL MIZANIN win champ of the year?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
in a year where half of the monthly winners were kane and swagger I'm not surprised

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Goons of yore apparently really only watched WWE. That year's poll, ROH champs got a combined 7 votes, PWG got 8, TNA got 5. So if you combine the votes of the 7 men who hold those 3 belts, they'd have come behind The Miz, Jericho & Sheamus, & only 1 vote ahead of ECW champion Christian.

If you look at a bunch of other titles history there's some guys who you'd definitely vote for over The Miz but that's with the caveat that even people who were watching Japanese or indy wrestling were watching it quite often with a month lag, or more, in 2010. Like it's easy for me to say that YAMATO should be on there but it's not like Dragongate were an easy promotion to follow from the west. And it's not like people were buying CZW shows even with Jon Moxley's 11 successful title defences in the year, including a bunch of matches that sound quite good on paper like vs Homicide or Brodie Lee.

Man, that CZW show with the Mox vs Brodie match is stacked with hindsight. You have AR Fox vs Orange Cassidy. Jonathan Gresham, Sami Callihan, WWE Superstar Joe Gacy, Rich Swann, Adam Cole, Mia Yim, The Briscoes, & the 2 guys in the main event.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In addition, a lot of non-US promotions just really weren't accessible (kinda goes both ways though. Like, where I live, this is really the first time it's not an arduous goddamned task to get any ROH content, for example), and 2010/11 was peak Cena-fatigue. People just really wanted something different, and for all his faults, Miz was gaining a lot of popularity around these parts, mainly due to his mic skills.

You can also see the point where NJPW made itself easier to access outside of Japan in those results as well. People just flocked to it, and never really looked back other than the occasional ironic votes like Jinder and the more recent Miz wins.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Miz is literally the only WWE monthly winner since the advent of the AEW world championship

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fez_machine posted:

Miz is literally the only WWE monthly winner since the advent of the AEW world championship

and it was pretty funny, too

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

My Jinder votes were deeply serious

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
this got me to actually look at the votes and miz didn't actually win december 2010, none of the above did?

but also if you look at the champ of the year poll it was pretty dire for the list of people involved. 2010 was not a great year for wrestling. roddy's roh run wasn't exactly the most exciting thing in the world and iirc they waited way too long to give tyler black the belt before that. I don't know enough about japanese wrestling from that era to say either way but I have faint memories of it being largely terrible at the time

(but yes this place was still largely WWE-centric at the time)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

this got me to actually look at the votes and miz didn't actually win december 2010, none of the above did?

but also if you look at the champ of the year poll it was pretty dire for the list of people involved. 2010 was not a great year for wrestling. roddy's roh run wasn't exactly the most exciting thing in the world and iirc they waited way too long to give tyler black the belt before that. I don't know enough about japanese wrestling from that era to say either way but I have faint memories of it being largely terrible at the time

(but yes this place was still largely WWE-centric at the time)

Dragongate had some great stuff. Takashi Sugiura in NOAH likewise had a reign with great matches against Morishima, Shiozaki, Akiyama & Takayama.

Also DDT was even harder to follow but Daisuke Sekimoto had some great Title defences against HARASHIMA, Shuji Ishikawa, Masa Takanashi & Kota Ibushi.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
If we redid 2010 I think Takashi Sugiura would win in a landslide but yeah everyones covered the accessibility issues of Japan at the time plus as a general morose NOAH didn't feel the same after Misawa died for most people and people kind of drifted away as well as New Japan still being at the tail end of Inoki-ism so that wasn't an option either.

edogawa rando posted:

In addition, a lot of non-US promotions just really weren't accessible (kinda goes both ways though. Like, where I live, this is really the first time it's not an arduous goddamned task to get any ROH content, for example), and 2010/11 was peak Cena-fatigue. People just really wanted something different, and for all his faults, Miz was gaining a lot of popularity around these parts, mainly due to his mic skills.

You can also see the point where NJPW made itself easier to access outside of Japan in those results as well. People just flocked to it, and never really looked back other than the occasional ironic votes like Jinder and the more recent Miz wins.

funnily this isnt quite true, if you go back to i forget when every month there was a contigent posting "voting for the real champ Hiroshi Tanahashi" because he wasn't yet on the poll despite that being the run that brought back New Japan. It really started to get eyes during Okada's first run but people were watching Tanahashi's pre-Okada run and saw "this is someone special and this is something very special" but because the poll didn't even include his name or the IWGP title he only ended up winning waaaay late.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

goons have short term memory and he was New Toy at the exact right time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Every few months I think it'd be fun to do a version of these threads but it's a historical month and then I start trying to decide what titles to include and just get lost in a Cagematch hole. "Could I find this match from 2000 with Tomoaki Honma vs Zandig?"

Besides, it'd be a lot of effort for about 3 votes a month

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sandman McMahon posted:

My Jinder votes were deeply serious

i thought his title win was hilarious along with the bamboo prison match

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I used to do stats years ago, what the hell let's do one more. I'm counting the person, not the character, so Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan/et al. are counted together.

Number of wins:

28: Kazuchika Okada
15: CM Punk
12: Bryan Danielson
11: Chris Jericho
10: AJ Styles, Jon Moxley
9: Christian
8: Kenny Omega
7: Edge
5: Kane, Kevin Owens, The Miz, Hangman Page
4: Brock Lesnar, Jay Lethal, Becky Lynch
3: Booker T, Randy Orton, Jack Swagger, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito, MJF, Athena
2: John Morrison, Nigel McGuinness, Mark Henry, Prince Puma, Go Shiozaki, Hikaru Shida, Shingo Takagi, Matt Cardona, Jamie Hayter, Eddie Kingston
1: Rob Van Dam, Undertaker, Sheamus, Eddie Edwards, Davey Richards, Austin Aries, Bully Ray, Shinsuke Nakamura, BxB Hulk, Seth Rollins, Mil Muertes, Jeff Cobb, Sasha Banks, Bray Wyatt, Christopher Daniels, Io Shirai, Jinder Mahal, Kofi Kingston, Kento Miyahara, Rush, Arisa Nakajima, Yuka Sakazaki, Kota Ibushi, Miyu Yamashita, Thunder Rosa, Jay White, SANADA, Yuki Ueno

By Promotion:

91: WWE
45: NJPW
32: AEW
21: ROH
4: Lucha Underground, GCW
3: TNA/Impact
2: Dragon Gate, NOAH, TJPW
1: Stardom, AJPW, Seadlinnng, DDT

Notes:
-Kenny Omega was only listed as AEW/Impact champ for one of his months. He wasn't listed/didn't win as AAA champ, so they get no love.
-Subsequently, a Mexico-based promotion has never won the poll. You horrible racists.
-Despite holding a belt for the past kerjillion months, Roman Reigns has never won a popularity contest here. Neither has Triple H. Yet Kane and Miz won five times each.
-The first TNA/Impact champ was Austin Aries, which no one regrets now.
-Okada needs two more monthly wins to double-up CM Punk in second, which will come whenever he wins the AEW belt most likely.
-I put Jeff Cobb because I don't remember what his Lucha Underground name was. It's Prince Puma instead of Ricochet because Ricochet will never be listed on one of these polls.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
We'll start caring about Mexican championship titles when Mexican promotions do

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You forgot MY BROTHER, THE MONSTER, MATANZA CUETO?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

Back then I used to include a Comedy Option just as a jokey thing, but when it won for the first time I was kind of sidelined because I hadn't really thought about what that would mean. So I put down Miz as the winner and it caused a minor stink. I still did comedy options for a while after that but gradually shifted it into a more specific "None of the Above" option to make sure that if it won it would make sense to the future to avoid a situation 13 years down the track where somebody said,"Hang on, if you actually look at the votes Miz didn't actually win December 2010, none of the above did?" - and now it's come back to haunt me! :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Champ Poll for January, 2024 is now up