Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
watching new japan is always so cozy :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Best since 2020

Back to one night format and it doesn't suck coincidence?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Aesculus posted:

Welp guess I'm getting back into NJPW.

Life is good :cheers:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I WANT A WRESTLEKINGDOM CHAIR

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i so much prefer this streamlined wrestlekingdom vs the gargantuan multiday ones

hopefully they get a frigging clue and we get a g1 like the old ones again instead of the lame rear end 9000 people poo poo

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fucker posted:

hopefully they get a frigging clue and we get a g1 like the old ones again instead of the lame rear end 9000 people poo poo

if they announce a simple 2 block 16 wrestler format i will be so stoked

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

new beginning on 2/23 and 2/24

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Fucker posted:

Noooooo if they bring back the correct format AEW can't just steal the scraps of the format for the C3

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It felt like somehow they had more angles for this show than any of the two day shows. Good stuff. I think the very best matches were probably better last few years but the good ones were still very good and this was a more complete show.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Back home from the show. My first in 5 years. I liked it but the kid yelling behind me really soured the experience.

I haven’t been following too closely, is Osprey leaving? He had a lot of family down on the floor with him after his match.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Back home from the show. My first in 5 years. I liked it but the kid yelling behind me really soured the experience.

I haven’t been following too closely, is Osprey leaving? He had a lot of family down on the floor with him after his match.

yeah, aew signed him to a full time deal last autumn, its believed these shows are his last with NJPW for the time being.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

hadji murad posted:

He's been signed to AEW. He'll probably be an occasional special attraction in NJPW

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He's signed with AEW, but with an agreement to run out the end of 2023 (and this show obviously) in New Japan and to go back there periodically when he wants to (and is wanted, which is likely to be often!)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Very good kingdom.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks guys! It really looked like a farewell with the family there.

I ran into Osprey last summer when I was biking home from work. He was walking down the street cutting a promo into his phone and I was like jeez… who’s that, then I recognized him.

I complemented him on his recent match with Orange Cassidy then apologized for being out of breath because I just biked up a hill. He said “that’s okay I am too” and that was it.

I don’t think he was really out of breath. Cool guy!

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Lid posted:

Back to one night format and it doesn't suck coincidence?

2020 was the first 2 night one with Okada/Ibushi night 1 and Okada/Naito night 2

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://x.com/bozzers/status/1742870207192862989?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

War Dogs should have retained

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Thoughts from the live show.

Osprey was loved. Loudest pop at that point.

Crowd was very kind to Tama even though he blew a few spots.

Everyone was met with a warm reception except House of Evil and Finlay. Outside interference was loudly booed.

Crowd was 70-80% behind Naito but Sanada had support and got the crowd at a few points. The crowd really wanted Naito to win though, and we hung on every big move. Guy is only a little younger than me but people aren't ready for him to step aside just yet.

Not sure how it came across on TV, but the crowd absolutely erupted when Sanada saved Naito from Evil. Insane pop. Instant megastar. He cried in the aisle afterwards during Naito's promo and got a huge ovation as well. He did cool stuff in the match and he's not Okada/Tanahashi/Naito yet but he could be. He was just not that smooth, and hosed a few things up but the crowd was very kind and he has the baby face aura that they want to see him succeed so he just needs a bit more seasoning.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 4, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So glad I got the program too...Full color with great paper quality and while in Japanese the detail it goes into for the main event and the other matches was great. Also has title histories for the year, 2 page spread on all the yearly tournaments too.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
really enjoyable show top to bottom, for sheer in ring work Bryan vs Okada was match of the night for me, Bryan got some poo poo out of Okada emotionally I've never quite seen before and I love them both for that. But for the larger story; of course the main event ending is what this was all about. My spouse is the biggest Naito fan in the universe and they were literally crying tears of joy.

Naito triumphant in the tokyo dome was as over as any wrestler on planet earth in 2024.I need to watch the replay just to see the crowd reactions when Naito won because I was bracing myself for the fuckery I expected Gedo to deliver....

in all the joy of Naito finally FINISHING THE STORY I also want to point out that I thought Uemura looked incredible and outshone both Narita and Yota today. He's got a young babyface charm to him that's not really been common in wrestling since the 1980s. If he can talk he should be a star. Shooter looked great too, dude has really learned a lot in the last year being around vets. I saw him doing small things in the ring today in terms of placement and transitions that his dojo mates seemingly haven't picked up yet.

As always, it's a pleasure to watch at the same time as you wonderful goons. Cheers!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

How did Mox and Danielson do?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Shard posted:

How did Mox and Danielson do?

From a live perspective they were both pretty over and put on a good show. Crowd was very into Danielson at points.

Osprey was super over but the crowd didn't ever boo Mox and he did a lot of cool stuff; specifically countering a lot of Osprey. His entrance was pretty great and people liked him a lot, it just might not have seened that way compared to Osprey.

Danielson trying to break Okada's arm was initially met with horror, an audible gasp, and then followed by tremendous ovation when he actually started doing it. It was great, lots of "Yes" chants and people yelling for him. They knew all his moves and people around me were yelling "busaiku!" when he hit it. Much love for the bows at the end.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

That pape kicked rear end. Naito, my boy...

Danielson/Okada was 5 stars.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Danielson and Okada, the two in my mind greatest of all time, can’t seem to have above a 4 star match for me, they were moving so slowly.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Very occasional wrestling watcher nowadays here after being a big fan in the 2000s, got invited by a friend to watch the show tonight. The standard of in-ring wrestling is so high these days, god drat.

I have to ask, though, can somebody please explain to me what the hell was drawn on the back of Danielson's trunks? It looked like a big red smear. Our watch party's working theory is that he asked his daughter to design a pair of trunks for him to wear.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

cmndstab posted:

Very occasional wrestling watcher nowadays here after being a big fan in the 2000s, got invited by a friend to watch the show tonight. The standard of in-ring wrestling is so high these days, god drat.

I have to ask, though, can somebody please explain to me what the hell was drawn on the back of Danielson's trunks? It looked like a big red smear. Our watch party's working theory is that he asked his daughter to design a pair of trunks for him to wear.

Goat with an eyepatch. Playing off both him being hairy/bearded like a goat but also being the GOAT

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yeah the multi day domes only worked in 2020 and this was a massive improvement. thought it was a better show than last year’s as well even if nothing reached the heights o ospreay vs omega match quality wise. being a naito mark helps obv

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Naito did it. he really did it :unsmith:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
That was a terrific show and the NJPW Apple TV app actually works pretty well!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Terrific show, I only have two quick thoughts:

- I don't hate the idea of Ziggler being Finlay's first challenger but I do find it funny that he came to Japan when the gimmick of the title is supposed to be that of the holder going abroad

- I'm glad that Naito got his roll call but I still laughed really hard when EVIL showed up

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So with Okada going over, and Tanahashi the new president, is it safe to presume the “Okada is thinking of leaving” story just Okada doing a power play to the press to get the old president to step down?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

- I'm glad that Naito got his roll call but I still laughed really hard when EVIL showed up

Same, haven't laughed that hard at New Japan since Ospreay beat Naito in the G1 semi finals

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I fell asleep last night during the opener because my fighting spirit is weak, but I really liked that Bryan/Okada match

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
SANADA's personality was in his old hair. Huge show otherwise

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I laughed my rear end off when EVIL jumped Naito. I saw through it in an instant, but that's still a great piece of business, making the crowd think you're gonna jerk them around one more time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Speaking of people jumping people, this is the first time I genuinely felt that NJPW really need to put an end to Bullet Club. Finlay really felt like he was a step below Mox and Ospreay, and I honestly couldn't take him seriously like prior Bullet Club leaders. I guess it's deliberate, but all the "I'M THE BULLET CLUB LEADER! HONEST!" stuff in his entrance just felt... desperate, like they were trying way too hard to give him heat.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

edogawa rando posted:

Speaking of people jumping people, this is the first time I genuinely felt that NJPW really need to put an end to Bullet Club. Finlay really felt like he was a step below Mox and Ospreay, and I honestly couldn't take him seriously like prior Bullet Club leaders. I guess it's deliberate, but all the "I'M THE BULLET CLUB LEADER! HONEST!" stuff in his entrance just felt... desperate, like they were trying way too hard to give him heat.

That's because Finlay IS orders of magnitude below both Mox and Ospreay.

I have to admit I was kinda shocked Will ate the pin rather than Mox and that Mox had the visual pin.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's because Finlay IS orders of magnitude below both Mox and Ospreay.

I have to admit I was kinda shocked Will ate the pin rather than Mox and that Mox had the visual pin.

He is orders of magnitude below most of the BC guys that he is supposed to be the leader of. Gabe Kidd has enough craziness charisma that he would be a believable leader immediately. Connors, Coughlin, Maloney and Ishimori all have solid amounts of charisma and wrestling talent. Honestly the only people in current BC who Finlay feels better than are Gedo, who isn't an active wrestler, and Owens/Fale, who are not only lovely wrestlers but also lovely human beings. Okay technically KENTA is still in BC but I feel he has been pretty detached from them and doing his own thing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Make the dude with the mustache the leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Here's how I know Dave Finlay kind of sucks

He picked a fight with Dolph Ziggler :laffo: