Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Finally got a 1st game in today. I like most of it, it feels very mobile and there's a lot more back and forth in combat than any edition I've played before. Magic's a bit fiddly with 3 different timings and once you're in combat wizards feel like they've got a lot less to do. It was pretty quick too - 3 hours for a 2000 point game including setting up/clearing up while looking stuff up. An orc victory over dark elves too, which felt pretty much impossible in older editions :orks101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
is there any word on if they'll release the basic orc/goblin kits in their own boxes rather than the battalion?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

They just went up for two week preorder today in aus. Alongside the battalion which was delayed here.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ro5s posted:

Finally got a 1st game in today. I like most of it, it feels very mobile and there's a lot more back and forth in combat than any edition I've played before. Magic's a bit fiddly with 3 different timings and once you're in combat wizards feel like they've got a lot less to do. It was pretty quick too - 3 hours for a 2000 point game including setting up/clearing up while looking stuff up. An orc victory over dark elves too, which felt pretty much impossible in older editions :orks101:

Nice! Can I ask what worked and didn't in your opponent's dark elf army?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Nice! Can I ask what worked and didn't in your opponent's dark elf army?

Let's see what I remember

Good
  • Witch elves - they had a death hag with +D3 extra attacks + hatred and the giant blade who slaughtered her way through 30 boyz and my BSB - she completely nailed my front rank singlehandedly when I charged into the unit
  • Black guard - they're slightly weird now because of supporting attacks making them better off the charge but they broke my river trolls once they were getting the extra attacks.
  • Executioners - high strength elves are just nasty to deal with - my other boyz mob + great shaman were fighting them to mutual destruction when I got a flank charge in and a lucky break check to run them down.

Bad
  • Shooting's just kind of limp - 2 repeater boltthrowers and some repeater crossbows didn't do much of anything
  • The hydra performed pretty badly - it bounced off my wyvern warboss then broke when I charged back in and got run down. That might just be because ridden monsters are gnarly though
  • Magic - we both had level 4s and kind of discovered we couldn't cast much a lot of the time just from how the combats were working out - no one was winning going into their own turns so we'd be following up into combat to avoid a charge and also shutting down all the hex spells.

Honestly I was really helped out by my doom diver scoring three direct hits on the heavy infantry - the black guard and executioners both went down to attrition that wouldn't have been there if my shooting hadn't been so lucky.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ro5s posted:

Let's see what I remember

Good
  • Witch elves - they had a death hag with +D3 extra attacks + hatred and the giant blade who slaughtered her way through 30 boyz and my BSB - she completely nailed my front rank singlehandedly when I charged into the unit
  • Black guard - they're slightly weird now because of supporting attacks making them better off the charge but they broke my river trolls once they were getting the extra attacks.
  • Executioners - high strength elves are just nasty to deal with - my other boyz mob + great shaman were fighting them to mutual destruction when I got a flank charge in and a lucky break check to run them down.

Bad
  • Shooting's just kind of limp - 2 repeater boltthrowers and some repeater crossbows didn't do much of anything
  • The hydra performed pretty badly - it bounced off my wyvern warboss then broke when I charged back in and got run down. That might just be because ridden monsters are gnarly though
  • Magic - we both had level 4s and kind of discovered we couldn't cast much a lot of the time just from how the combats were working out - no one was winning going into their own turns so we'd be following up into combat to avoid a charge and also shutting down all the hex spells.

Honestly I was really helped out by my doom diver scoring three direct hits on the heavy infantry - the black guard and executioners both went down to attrition that wouldn't have been there if my shooting hadn't been so lucky.

Thanks for replying, glad to hear about Black Guard and Executioners! I have heard the same thing about shooting from several quarters. The crossbowmen especially, it seems like you are hitting on 5+ in the absolute best case (in the open, multi-shot would be 4+, then you will practically always be either moving or over half range). More often on a 6+ and on a 7+ or even worse if there's any cover to consider.

Might try some shades, but that's as much for a few high-WS great weapon attacks into a flank as it is for the actual shooting. Scout skirmishers seem like a big boon to positioning.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Continuing to chip away at my army. This time: Dogs!

And the army so far:

The warhounds were kind of fun to paint, but they aren't great models and have more going on than I'd really want for 6 point trash. All of them have horns, pustules, weird little tentacles, etc. I experimented with some techniques for quicker blends between flesh and mutations. I didn't want to completely phone them in because these things will be in most of my lists, but I also didn't want to spend too much time on them as they're really just meant to get in the way and die. I think I managed to strike a nice balance and I'm happy with how they turned out. I've got 10 more that I'll paint in the future and I'll get some more fur colors into the mix. Maybe some two tone ones as well.

Next up: More warriors!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I actually really liked painting the dags for similar reasons. Cheap, so I didn't want to put a lot of time into them, but lotsa weird poo poo going on, so they were a good place to try some things out before doing them 'for real'. Though of course, I am also the psycho waiting for the Forsaken to be re-released as 30 aren't enough for me.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I actually really liked painting the dags for similar reasons. Cheap, so I didn't want to put a lot of time into them, but lotsa weird poo poo going on, so they were a good place to try some things out before doing them 'for real'. Though of course, I am also the psycho waiting for the Forsaken to be re-released as 30 aren't enough for me.
Oh man, forsaken. They disappeared so quickly back in the day I wonder if there was something up with that kit. If they get rereleased I'll probably pick some up just because they fit Tzeentch so well. I'm not really sure how to use them yet, but I'll figure that out later.

Anyways, the Orcs and Goblins made-to-order wave is hitting next week:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/28/sunday-preview-white-dwarf-500-and-legions-imperialis-hardware/
So that's the shaman on wyvern from 1993, the marauder giant, a black orc boss, river trolls, and, most importantly, two sets of stone trolls.

I am 100% going to get the trolls even though I don't play goblins yet. And won't for a while. I just love those sculpts and don't want to miss out on them. I'm also tempted to get the marauder giant just because I know how much of a collector's item it's been in the past.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Literally same. I’ll grab the trolls because those sculpts are sensational, then I might do the giant to make a fun diorama piece for

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the trolls are such great old models but if a set of six of them costs less than $125 i'll eat my superfluous second magical hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
just so i'm not just making GBS threads on GW:

I really do love those old trolls. They are just the right mix of rangy and sinewed and very very dumb. The models look perfectly like the kind of creature that lives under a bridge and survives on eating what they strangle with those big expressive hands, but could definitely get outsmarted by a goat. They're mean and stupid and pathetic, which has always been the sweet spot for both the Perry brothers in particular and Citadel/GW badguys in general.

I still wonder, to this day, if he decided to eat the rock or throw it.