Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeast posted:

Simmer down greybeards, you don’t have to buy GW minis, there’s an ocean of cheap, accessible proxies for literally every unit now, unlike the 90s.

To contribute: the stock issues seem to continue. Here in Australia we get no access to any multikit plastic orcs, they’ve all been delayed, including the big box. For how long? No idea. We can preorder all the metal and resin tho. :confused:
There does seem to be a sizeable selection of 3d printed fantasy models, lots to choose from if you're not going for specific citadel miniature look.

And still waiting for that rule book here in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Lostconfused posted:

And still waiting for that rule book here in Canada.

Lol. That reminds me, I should probably cancel my pre-order for the book from the local store.
They still haven't got it in stock and I got the Bretonnian box set elsewhere.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Weird question.. is there a VASSAL like way to play TOW online? I love warhammer, but A) Have no income (disabled), B ) Have no mini assembling skills (tried with Blood Bowl in the past), C ) have no painting skills.

And yes, I know of the TW:WH series. I have all three, but would prefer something turn based if possible (and because I'd like to try the Old World

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Tabletop Simulator on Steam is what you want. There's a TOW mod for it already.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Majkol posted:

Yeah, no way I'm paying that. I bought a Highland minis Warboss on a boar, put a magnet up his rear end and he's gonna sit on a wyvern from Dungeons and Lasers. It's going to be less than half that price in total, including having to buy a base separately.
Boy is massive too at 32mm, I suspect he rivals the Orruks from AoS in size.

Any excitement I had during the Kislev and Cathay concept art phase evaporated pretty quickly. The prices are just insane - if the models were resculpts then sure, whatever, slight justification. But just re-releasing them (really kind of bad sculpts if you have no nostalgia for them) with a massively inflated price feels like the scalping is coming from inside GW.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

ijyt posted:

Any excitement I had during the Kislev and Cathay concept art phase evaporated pretty quickly. The prices are just insane - if the models were resculpts then sure, whatever, slight justification. But just re-releasing them (really kind of bad sculpts if you have no nostalgia for them) with a massively inflated price feels like the scalping is coming from inside GW.

About half the minis they're rereleasing feel classic and I'm glad they're back, and half of them feel like it's absurd to charge full price for them ityool 2024. However the WFB nostalgia guys seem to be hoovering them up and everything is out of stock instantly, so eh. I guess I'm just not the target audience.

The actual game seems pretty good though, and I can use cheaper and better 3rd party minis for that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’m the target market and now that I earn more than (checks notes) what I did when I was 14, it’s not a big deal for me.

I just hope I can buy what I want when the Dwarf preorders open and don’t get another weird stock issue.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
the only real headscratcher for me personally is badlands ogres costing $110 for five while the much better looking ogor gluttons (which were previously used as ogre bulls in WHFB 8th edition) are $60 for six

like I'm sure some people like the older sculpts better but do they like it $50 better?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SirFozzie posted:

Weird question.. is there a VASSAL like way to play TOW online? I love warhammer, but A) Have no income (disabled), B ) Have no mini assembling skills (tried with Blood Bowl in the past), C ) have no painting skills.

And yes, I know of the TW:WH series. I have all three, but would prefer something turn based if possible (and because I'd like to try the Old World

There is a thing called Warhall that worked pretty well.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Yeast posted:

I’m the target market and now that I earn more than (checks notes) what I did when I was 14, it’s not a big deal for me.

I just hope I can buy what I want when the Dwarf preorders open and don’t get another weird stock issue.

If you like the models and can afford them, good for you. I can as well but I can't justify the purchase when I look around and see better or similar sculpts for much less. I would feel like a mark.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I preordered the metal ogres; no regrets.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Tabletop Simulator on Steam is what you want. There's a TOW mod for it already.

Is there a Warmaster mod for TTS? Or maybe a Middle Earth: Strategy Battle Game?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
My green knight arrived today, I didn’t realise but they made new little paper banners for him and included them in the box, cute!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

AnEdgelord posted:

the only real headscratcher for me personally is badlands ogres costing $110 for five while the much better looking ogor gluttons (which were previously used as ogre bulls in WHFB 8th edition) are $60 for six

like I'm sure some people like the older sculpts better but do they like it $50 better?

Plus TTCombat/MaxiMini have had some form of prescience with their release of old-hammer style ogre models - two different sets, for £12 each. I've picked up some trolls, and Sneaky Gitz Goblin Knives as well as a Ogre Sword Master to go alongside the Wargames Atlantic Landsknecht Ogres I have in anticipation of Empire being able to take Ogre mercenaries.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Xlorp posted:

Is there a Warmaster mod for TTS? Or maybe a Middle Earth: Strategy Battle Game?

I belive so, there's a pretty active community supporting the game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ijyt posted:

I wept openly when I saw Snotlings at 50 bucks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm fully convinced that TOW exists only because a suit at GW saw idiots paying three digits on eBay for the Green Knight.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

God bless those idiots.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
yeah as I buy a new one made in 2023, I'll raise a glass to the fools, thank you!

edit: Oh my god it needs so much gap filling.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The green stuff knight

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

I'm fully convinced that TOW exists only because a suit at GW saw idiots paying three digits on eBay for the Green Knight.

Absolutely, and it's shocking that it took them this long to catch on.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A little WIP from my chaos warriors:

This is my first free-handed banner and I'm pretty happy with the skull. I think the fire needs a bit of work, but it's almost there. It was a fun little thing to do and I'm going to keep the general goofy theme across my army's banners though I won't be replicating symbols. Tzeentch is 100% a wizard van guy and I want to represent that if I can.

I'm only a few more steps away from hitting these models with gloss and oils. Then they'll be matted down and based. When they're done I'll paint a wizard.
:smugwizard:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Finished up my first batch of chaos warriors over the weekend. My original test model was really helpful and I was able to modify the scheme a bit to get it where I wanted. For example, I pushed the contrast in the metallics a bit more and deepened the shadows on the cloaks. I was aiming for something I could knock out relatively quickly. There's a fair bit of drybrushing here - the cloaks especially. I still took some time to wet blend things like the horns and the color change on the banner. Speaking of which, I took my first real shot at freehanding on this banner which was definitely a learning experience. So without further ado, here are the models:

Group shots:

Command section:

Mooks with my test model in the middle:

More mooks:

I'm really happy with how these guys turned out. They're tzeentch weirdos so I added some small things like glowing runes on their pendants, the standard bearer has a glowing blue eye, and the champion has orange eyes and fiery runes on his sword to make him stand out. If I have a complaint with these models it's that I wish there was a little less variety in the skins and furs they're wearing just to help streamline things. I think I managed a good amount of variety there though. I also felt obligated to paint them off of their bases just to be able to access certain areas. The cloaks can be difficult to work around otherwise. Of course the shields were separate too. I'll be continuing the general wizard van art theme with future banners. I have some ideas already and I think I'm locked in on my eventual battle standard bearer.

Next up I'll be painting a wizard as I've previously mentioned and then maybe some hounds for something quick and easy before diving back into another batch of warriors. I'm planning 40 of these. :shepface:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really like them. They evoke a sort of wizard van fantasy vibe in a good way. Well done.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
That banner is great

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

We got FAQ's and errata's, including the legacy armies PDFs

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/09/old-world-almanack-designers-notes-on-the-faq-and-errata/

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

quote:

Q: Some magic weapons or special rules allow specific models
within a unit to be targeted. Do such attacks ignore the
“Look Out, Sir!” rule?
A: No.

What is the even point then. :psyduck:

Also:

quote:

Q: If one participant in a challenge causes Impact Hits or
makes Stomp Attacks, where are they directed?
A: They are directed against the other participant in the challenge

That sacrificial champion is turning into kebab.

Also Also:

quote:

Q: If my opponent and I have agreed to play a 2,000 points
game but my army is not exactly 2,000 points (it’s 1,997 points,
for example), can I take two of something limited to 0-1 per
1,000 points by the army composition list I’m using?
A: Yes. Such limitations are based on the size of the game you are
playing rather than the exact points value of your army.

Q: Does an allied contingent have to abide by the restrictions
given in the army composition list it is drawn from?
A: Yes. An allied contingent is a small army within a large army,
made using a Grand Army or Army of Infamy composition list.
Within a 2,000 points army, for example, an allied contingent of
500 points would have to spend at least 125 points on Core units,
could spend no more than 250 points on characters, and would be
unable to include any units limited to 0-1 per 1,000 points.

So the agreed army size IS deciding factor.
Also rip allying a dwarf smith and his 3 closest cannons.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Beaten to it, but whatever.

Rulebook
Forces of Fantasy
Ravening Hordes

The big changes here are in the rulebook document and they're more clarifications than anything. Here are some highlights:
  • Close Order only provides +1 combat resolution if a unit has unit strength 5 or higher
  • A Close Order unit of one model still acts as normal instead of functioning like a skirmisher like characters do
  • Random Movement sets a unit's maximum move rather than forcing them to move that distance
  • While a unit with Random Movement doesn't really declare charges as normal, they still need to abide by certain things like moving in a straight line to their target
  • A miscast is a miscast, tough luck. Wizards who are able to re-roll casting attempts don't get to if they roll a double 1.
  • Drilled is a very strong rule. A unit can redress the ranks before they charge or as they give ground. For example, a unit in a marching column could declare a charge, redress their ranks to be wider, and then charge as normal.
  • If you want to use the rules attached to a mounted character's magic armor you must commit to using their save as well. This doesn't come up much, but has been a problem with tomb kings on bone dragons wearing the Armor of the Ages. It won't kill that build, but it'll nerf it slightly.
  • Lances may be used whenever a model charges or counts as having charged. There's been a weird little debate about this in the community and some folks thought that lances couldn't be used when pursuing a unit that had fallen back in good order. Hopefully this answers that.
  • Spectral Doppelganger has been clarified so you can't get 2d6 S10 AP-5 Multiple Wounds (d6) hits out of a wizard with the Mace of Helsturm
  • Units that can be taken by multiple armies while their unit entry is only in one select magic items from their parent list rather than whatever army they may be in at that time. For example, dragon ogre shaggoths in a warriors of chaos army select magic items from the beastmen list because that's where they're from.

They also made some small adjustments to the legacy lists, but they don't seem to be highlighted so I'm not sure what they've changed at a glance.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 9, 2024

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

[*]Lances may be used whenever a model charges or counts as having charged. There's been a weird little debate about this in the community and some folks thought that lances couldn't be used when pursuing a unit that had fallen back in good order. Hopefully this answers that.

This is a wild one. Was someone, somewhere (probably in a tournament) arguing,
that opponent can't use their lance, because "It only count-as a charge, not an actual charge."

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

They also made some small adjustments to the legacy lists, but they don't seem to be highlighted so I'm not sure what they've changed at a glance.

I know the skaven and dark elves had rules listed that weren't on any units so they probably fixed that

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Issaries posted:

This is a wild one. Was someone, somewhere (probably in a tournament) arguing,
that opponent can't use their lance, because "It only count-as a charge, not an actual charge."

I want to say it was a previous version of the FAQ - it's why

quote:

Q: If my unit loses a round of combat and either Gives Ground or Falls Back in Good Order, can it choose to use different weapons in the next turn if the enemy made a Follow Up or Pursuit move?
A: No. Even though the units separated momentarily, they remain locked in place and engaged in an ongoing combat once the Follow Up or Pursuit move has been made. In other words, because the combat is ongoing, neither unit is able to swap one weapon for another.

is in cyan. It's because it says it's an ongoing combat and lances are explicitly 1st round only in their rules, so they had to be changed to work whenever the unit charged. I do sort of wish they'd come out and say this a bit more clearly - I'm assuming since they state here it's an ongoing combat stuff like hatred doesn't reactivate every time you pursue too, but it'd be nice to have a definitive answer on what's an ongoing combat vs a fresh one.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lucinice posted:

I know the skaven and dark elves had rules listed that weren't on any units so they probably fixed that

Did they? The only change I see to Dark Elves is they nerfed one of the (very strong) signature spells you can swap to. Changed from setting an enemy unit's BS or WS to 1, to a simple -1BS/WS.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

Thwarting an onrushing chariot by becoming bodily entangled in its wheels feels extremely Warhammer.

Official rules support your vibes.

Off you go Sergeant Wheelclamp.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

Did they? The only change I see to Dark Elves is they nerfed one of the (very strong) signature spells you can swap to. Changed from setting an enemy unit's BS or WS to 1, to a simple -1BS/WS.

oh sorry I misrembered.

It was that the murderous rule only applied to units using 1 hand and not 2, but witch elves only come with two so they can't use the rule. Looking at the PDF they did not fix it at all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it would be neat to have an actual rulebook to look at to see how this FAQ changes things

I wonder if they've actually got any in stock yet. Did US customers get their pre-orders filled finally?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The magic item clarification affects me a little because I was planning on running a dragon ogre shaggoth in my chaos warriors list. I was going to give it a runesword for WS7, I5, and essentially turning it into a pseudo-demon prince with ridiculous stats. I'm not broken-hearted about it, I had just assumed incorrectly. Not much is drawing my eye in the generic list so maybe I'll go for something defensive instead.

Or maybe I'll take the wizarding hat. :smugwizard:

The hat is probably the funniest/tzeentchiest option because it'll let me splash an almost useless level 1 wizard into my list with a magic lore I don't normally have access to like illusion or even waaagh magic. I just need to figure out what a level 1 might actually be able to cast. Probably need to rely on signature spells too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Murderous is still weirdly situational. A lot of DE get it who'll never use it, but it's a silver lining on the corner cases where you have to use a hand weapon.

Is there a change log somewhere?

hooman posted:

Official rules support your vibes.

Off you go Sergeant Wheelclamp.

Heck yes, chariots are officially an Old World trolley problem.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder if they've actually got any in stock yet. Did US customers get their pre-orders filled finally?

LOL, gently caress no. A couple locals were able to get refunds, but I know a few others that are still waiting.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It is a really nice book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My initial enthusiasm for getting to put my tomb kings back on the field has been dampened considerably by several months of being unable to actually buy the rules for this game

I can order a UK copy on eBay for less than half the price of a US edition ($53 vs. $130), although add $25 in shipping and presumably a couple or three weeks for it to arrive. I also see listings from europe, japan, etc. lol everyone's aware that there's a severe shortage

but going to ebay for this new in-print game feels like letting Games Workshop get away with something somehow

if they can't supply the US customers with rulebooks then gently caress'm