Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lampsacus posted:

Hey! If I'm a fan of the books+dramatisations of 3bd, What is some good hard sci fi to read?
Sans Greg Egan, Culture series (apologies if its not *actually* really hard sci fi), blindsight.

:)

Stephen Baxter? The Manifold trilogy in particular, in which each book pokes a different solution to Fermi. Or Xeelee sequence, which has an even grander arc. Alistair Reynolds has some good stuff, House Of Suns I thought was super good and is standalone. Pushing ice.

May see a lot of arguments about what 'hard' sci fi really covers.

Ask in this thread over in Book Barn too.

If you've read Blindsight already, Exordia is probably gonna come up. It's great, but maybe not hard.

E: Spin, Robert Charles Winston. Marooned in Real Time, Vernor Vinge (RIP :C)

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't remember if it happens in the book but the sky getting brighter and then flickering didn't help, as it meant the sky already looked fake before the event, so the entire thing lost any impact.
In the book it’s the Cosmic Microwave Background that flickers, not the entire night sky for everyone on earth

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Stephen Baxter? The Manifold trilogy in particular, in which each book pokes a different solution to Fermi. Or Xeelee sequence, which has an even grander arc. Alistair Reynolds has some good stuff, House Of Suns I thought was super good and is standalone. Pushing ice.

May see a lot of arguments about what 'hard' sci fi really covers.

Ask in this thread over in Book Barn too.

If you've read Blindsight already, Exordia is probably gonna come up. It's great, but maybe not hard.

Also, interesting philosophical, science plus sci-fi book - Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Also not sure if this is hard scifi but it's close enough.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
Finished ep 8 last night. Even given all my frustrations with the show, I think, as a whole, it was a worthwhile watch. Additionally, I think they left things in an interesting enough place that I will definitely give second season a shot if they make one. I appreciate the fact that they took some big swings in this show. Not all of them connected, but you certainly can't fault them for being timid. In the end, I think my primary frustration is that it seems like with like 15% more work or talent, it could have been amazing instead of just worthwhile.

Edit: Side note.... I just watched the first episode of Mrs. Davis last night. It was crazy and I loved the hell out of it. I don't know what it is about Damon Lindelof, but I am just on the same wavelength as he is.

confused fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 27, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

confused posted:

Finished ep 8 last night. Even given all my frustrations with the show, I think, as a whole, it was a worthwhile watch. Additionally, I think they left things in an interesting enough place that I will definitely give second season a shot if they make one. I appreciate the fact that they took some big swings in this show. Not all of them connected, but you certainly can't fault them for being timid. In the end, I think my primary frustration is that it seems like with like 15% more work or talent, it could have been amazing instead of just worthwhile.

Imagine if every one of the Oxford Five had the same charisma as John Bradley! Imagine how much better the show would instantly be with no other changes.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

PriorMarcus posted:

Imagine if every one of the Oxford Five had the same charisma as John Bradley! Imagine how much better the show would instantly be with no other changes.

I'm actually fine with the other members of the Oxford Five. I thought the actors did a fine job with the material and I thought the characterizations were fine. He was the highlight, for sure.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

bawfuls posted:

In the book it’s the Cosmic Microwave Background that flickers, not the entire night sky for everyone on earth

Yeah, they almost certainly did this to avoid explaining that for 15 minutes or having a lot of viewers asking "...so?"

It was kind of silly though. There is probably some other phenomenon they could have used: maybe a specific star blinking on several instruments.

NmareBfly posted:

Oh, man. I didn't realize he died. I guess we'll never find out what happens with that fleet :(

These are good recommendations.

I'll add Peter F. Hamilton who writes space opera with some thematic parallels to 3 Body Problem: lots of viewpoint characters trying to cope with reality being turned on its head and humanity adapting.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 27, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Open Source Idiom posted:

Pretty sure the light pollution around Oxford/ wherever they were would have been too much to see many stars.

But it's, like, a pop show translation of a concept dense, dry as rocks novel. I'm fine with it.

It would be hilarious if she was told to look at the sky at midnight and she saw nothing because the light pollution blocked out all the stars and she missed the blinking.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cojawfee posted:

It would be hilarious if she was told to look at the sky at midnight and she saw nothing because the light pollution blocked out all the stars and she missed the blinking.

The aliens forgot to check the weather and it's just dense fog and clouds around there.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I just finished binge reading the first book and so far I'm fine with this adaptation.

I think a lot of the criticism about the adaptation should lie with the nature of streaming and in particular Netflix, which can be an incredibly mercurial producer to work with. They need to rush some plot poo poo along to get people on the hook to increase Netflix survivors or else they get tossed in the bin.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Hilario Baldness posted:

I just finished binge reading the first book and so far I'm fine with this adaptation.

I think a lot of the criticism about the adaptation should lie with the nature of streaming and in particular Netflix, which can be an incredibly mercurial producer to work with. They need to rush some plot poo poo along to get people on the hook to increase Netflix survivors or else they get tossed in the bin.

This is a good point re: Netflix because I feel like the show would’ve been better if it was weekly and we had time to stew/discuss/theorize.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah the binge model does not help this show imo. Ties in with them revealing the mystery pretty early - I think you could have maintained good interest week to week if they stretched it a bit more and had people speculating. Though maybe that would just lead to people getting spoiled because the books... Exist.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Binge model seems to be bad for most shows

Thinking about how JJBA stone ocean blew up for a week and then disappeared

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I binged it all in two days and felt generally okay about doing it. Some mystery is fine but the show was engrossing enough to watch it all at once.

I'm not sure if it was the author or showrunner's intent but I hated every single main character of the friend group. Not their acting, that was all great, just the characters themselves. Saul being a selfish wastoid. Auggie being a dumb pawn that says okay to killing a cult and then being surprised and sad at the outcome. Will wasting all of his cash on a star for a girl that he had a crush on instead of remotely spending that money for good. Jin pretending to have loved Will after blowing him off forever for a crappy boyfriend. Jack was kind of okay but that's because he was killed off before he could do something selfish or stupid. It made them hard to cheer for or care about. I feel like everyone else in the show are far more intriguing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

I'm not sure if it was the author or showrunner's intent but I hated every single main character of the friend group. Not their acting, that was all great, just the characters themselves. Jin pretending to have loved Will after blowing him off forever for a crappy boyfriend.

I do not think she knew

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hilario Baldness posted:

I don't entirely agree, because the adaptation shares a lot of problems with the showrunners' previous work for HBO

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Doltos posted:

. Will wasting all of his cash on a star for a girl that he had a crush on instead of remotely spending that money for good. .

Broadly agree, except this was a war bond. The star sales were a way of getting the wealthy to fund defense against the invasion and giving them something almost certainly meaningless in return, like when zoos let you "adopt" an otter or a gorilla for $50.

So a charitable interpretation is that he was showing Jin support and trying to do something unselfish with the money before he died.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Doltos posted:

I binged it all in two days and felt generally okay about doing it. Some mystery is fine but the show was engrossing enough to watch it all at once.

I'm not sure if it was the author or showrunner's intent but I hated every single main character of the friend group. Not their acting, that was all great, just the characters themselves. Saul being a selfish wastoid. Auggie being a dumb pawn that says okay to killing a cult and then being surprised and sad at the outcome. Will wasting all of his cash on a star for a girl that he had a crush on instead of remotely spending that money for good. Jin pretending to have loved Will after blowing him off forever for a crappy boyfriend. Jack was kind of okay but that's because he was killed off before he could do something selfish or stupid. It made them hard to cheer for or care about. I feel like everyone else in the show are far more intriguing.

The stars for sale is just a gimmick to raise money for the mission so the money goes to her project

Edit and to be clear I think Will’s secret love bullshit is the worst of the bunch, it’s very high school

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Will’s such a little bitch I’m surprised his pancreas didn’t revolt against him sooner

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I know at least two people that were still pining after their college crush in the friendship circle at age 30 (I had the decency to stop at age 24 at least). Will is the most realistic character on the show lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

In the show version, I took this mostly that Evans feels guilty for not spending any effort or time raising Vera, his own child, and so he tries to channel that and his parenting instincts into raising the human children on the Judgement Day as well as trying to educate the San Ti in understanding humanity, because he recognizes they have some blind spots to our culture. I liked this better than the book version tbh - I disliked practically everything to do with characters in the book because they all seemed so un-relatable except for Da Shi.

e: side note, the show's take on this rubs your nose in all the children being indoctrinated and later sacrificed, from Vera onwards (notice Follower is killed over and over in the game, and is finally revealed to be Vera as a child)

I think you're right, and this really begs the question for me if a lot of scenes with Ye Wenjie and Robert Evans were cut because their whole relationship was a big departure from the book despite having almost no real exposition in the Netflix show. Again, in the original story, the circumstances behind how and why Ye Wenjie was raising Vera alone were a pretty significant aspect of her arc, so it's really odd to see that reduced here to a one-off line that's just "yes Robert Evans was my secret baby daddy no nobody cared and also you're a lovely father Benedict Wong."

Tarnop posted:

In the book (minor book 1 spoilers) the aliens are confident that knowledge of their existence will magnify existing divisions between human cultures. The book seeds this idea during the Red Coast project, referencing sociological studies that were done after various SETI type programs began that reached a similar conclusion. And don't forget that they know that the pacifist who received the first message has already contacted earth so they know that some number of humans know they exist. Their initial plan, once they receive a response from Ye Wenjie, is to use human separatists to foment anti-science sentiment. Meanwhile, they work on the sophons but that takes them a decade to complete and it's bleeding edge science for them so they don't know if it will work. What they do know is that, should the sophon plan fail, their human separatist plan needs to get underway as early as possible because they've seen both the overall rate and unpredictable nature of human scientific progress

I think the original story also better explains why this is a reasonable thing for them to believe given that we actually see ideological arguments within the ETO, who are already a microcosm of the world scientific community, and if even they bicker with each other over minutae like this just imagine how bad it would get if every scientist on the planet were involved with an even broader cross-section of potential responses.

A good poster posted:

!LATER BOOK SPOILERS!

I sure hope the show leaves out Luo Ji/Saul asking for a cottage in the countryside and a hot wife. That's probably what many people are thinking of when they call the books sexist.

I'm also curious about what 4-D space and the dual-vector foil attack will look like.

It's kind of funny that the Netflix show "solves" this problem by making Saul a commitment phobic man whore. I don't think it really occurred to them that this isn't really less sexist, it's just a completely different kind of sexist.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 27, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Some Guy TT posted:

I think the original story also better explains why this is a reasonable thing for them to believe given that we actually see ideological arguments within the ETO, who are already a microcosm of the world scientific community, and if even they bicker with each other over minutae like this just imagine how bad it would get if every scientist on the planet were involved with an even broader cross-section of potential responses.

Also the alien that brings it up mentions that learning about Earth caused similar effects in their society (that were presumably quickly crushed because they're wildly authoritarian)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

I know at least two people that were still pining after their college crush in the friendship circle at age 30 (I had the decency to stop at age 24 at least). Will is the most realistic character on the show lol

This is true. Nevertheless

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I heard a rumor somewhere (can't remember where so I have no idea where to start looking again) that the showrunners would like to do a weekly format for any future seasons if it gets renewed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Has Netflix ever done a weekly?

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I thought they had, but maybe they've only done the part 1 / part 2 release model for seasons like with Stranger Things.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
3 Body Problem Season Three Third Half Part 4

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

3 Body Problem Season Three Third Half Part 4

Ah yes the Attack on Titan model.

Spoiler discussion for book readers: Maybe I need to rewatch it but what the hell do you all think Ye Wenjie was trying to communicate to Saul at the graveyard? Seemed like a completely different message than was in the books, don't know how the hell you get "Dark Forest" out of "A joke only understood by two people".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

DrHammond posted:

Ah yes the Attack on Titan model.

Spoiler discussion for book readers: Maybe I need to rewatch it but what the hell do you all think Ye Wenjie was trying to communicate to Saul at the graveyard? Seemed like a completely different message than was in the books, don't know how the hell you get "Dark Forest" out of "A joke only understood by two people".

1. She hints that they have to communicate in metaphors so that others won’t know what they’re talking about

2. I’m guessing she hints about making a noise in the heavens that a higher power doesn’t want you to make

3. Aside from the conversation she sets aside a book on game theory and Fermi’s paradox. Maybe she wants Saul to find the books if her joke hint goes over his head. This seems much more relevant to how she hinted in the book

The joke seems a lot less clear than the book hint

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

confused posted:

I'm actually fine with the other members of the Oxford Five. I thought the actors did a fine job with the material and I thought the characterizations were fine. He was the highlight, for sure.

I laughed when Auggie made them pinky promise not to play the cursed videogame like it's some kind of Are You Afriad of the Dark episode.

Steve Yun posted:

Has Netflix ever done a weekly?

Delicious in Dungeon is like that, but maybe that's one they've licensed, rather than financed/produced?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

GigaPeon posted:

Delicious in Dungeon is like that, but maybe that's one they've licensed, rather than financed/produced?

Netflix has lots of weekly dramas and they're all like this, licensed rather than produced, usually from foreign markets that air them weekly on local television. It's the main tell that they don't actually own a series, even if they use the phrase "Netflix exclusive" for marketing purposes regardless of whether they financed it directly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For shows that they make, Netflix at most will do split seasons several months apart. That's usually for their bigger shows that they want to double dip on the hype cycle. Everything else gets dumped all at once to bring in new subscribers and then is quietly cancelled.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Netflix does that, massively hypes a show and then canceles it after 1 or 2 seasons and leaves all the viewers hanging. The OA is a prime example.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I thought 2 or 3 seasons was the Great Filter

The solution is to make your show wrap up in 2-3 seasons

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I thought 2 or 3 seasons was the Great Filter

The solution is to make your show wrap up in 2-3 seasons

I feel like they wrote this adaptation knowing almost nothing on Netflix gets more than three seasons especially the really expensive stuff. The Chinese adaptation took 30 hours to do just the first book where here we wrapped up book 1 by episode 5 and spent the last 3 doing set up for both The Dark Forest and Deaths End..

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The fact that they put a significant chunk of book 2 and some of book 3 into the first season makes me think they're trying to wrap it up within 3 seasons at most.

If they really wanted to they could do the remainder of book 2 in just a few episodes and wrap the whole thing in two seasons.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 27, 2024

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

bawfuls posted:

The fact that they put a significant chunk of book 2 and some of book 3 into the first season makes me think they're trying to wrap it up within 3 seasons at most

Even with all the future set up it is hard for me to imagine how they get from where they are now to the Doomsday Battle in 8 episodes, assuming that is the climax of a second season. The first book was easier to condense because the story is smaller but it gets exponentially more complex from here.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tainen posted:

Even with all the future set up it is hard for me to imagine how they get from where they are now to the Doomsday Battle in 8 episodes, assuming that is the climax of a second season. The first book was easier to condense because the story is smaller but it gets exponentially more complex from here.
(book spoilers)do you mean the Droplet destruction in the second book? That could be the first episode of the next season. They should have shown Paul and Jin and Wade all going into hibernation at the end of this season though. But the next season could start with Paul waking up 200 years later to a triumphalist Earth that's unconcerned, only for the droplet scene to happen as the end of episode climax.

There's not much plot between that point and where this season ended. Pretty much the only remaining Crisis Era stuff they didn't show explicitly in season 1 was main characters going into hibernation

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 27, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Saul doesn't go into hibernation until (book 2) after he works out what Ye Wenjie was talking about and broadcasts the location of the other star. That's what causes the droplet launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
There's still another Crisis Era plot point the cringe imaginary girlfriend subplot :stonk: that hopefully they just skip over

edit: but we do also have to see the failures of the other Wallfacers before the droplet shows up