Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

discoukulele posted:

There's still another Crisis Era plot point the cringe imaginary girlfriend subplot :stonk: that hopefully they just skip over

Yes please, god, that was hands down the worst part of the whole trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
My ideal situation would be that they don't do it, but they give some kinda easter egg wink to the book fans

Da Shi: Ya know, with all the money in the world at your disposal, you could get the perfect woman
Saul: What the gently caress? Why would you say that?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

discoukulele posted:

There's still another Crisis Era plot point the cringe imaginary girlfriend subplot :stonk: that hopefully they just skip over

edit: but we do also have to see the failures of the other Wallfacers before the droplet shows up

I might be getting my characters mixed up but isn’t that character Saul now. They replaced that part from the books with the relationship he has with Aggie or at least that is what I assume they are doing.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Tainen posted:

I might be getting my characters mixed up but isn’t that character Saul now. They replaced that part from the books with the relationship he has with Aggie or at least that is what I assume they are doing.

Yep, but Saul appears to be back on the market now that Auggie has left the country :dance:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I did forget about those other bits, so I guess it's not one episode. I could see them compressing it a lot though, particularly since they dropped one wallfacer from the books and if they omit the cringe.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Yeah I did forget about those other bits, so I guess it's not one episode. I could see them compressing it a lot though, particularly since they dropped one wallfacer from the books and if they omit the cringe.

We can’t skip the sequence where Luo Ji/Saul wakes up in the future and faces a string of comical assassination attempts like a pot hole opening under his feet, a robot waiter trying to stab him and a couch attempting a strangulation

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I wonder how they are going to deal with the whole thing about everyone in the future being a sissy soyboy and all the men dress like women or whatever the gently caress weird poo poo Cixin Liu was going on about. Hopefully they ditch that as well.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They will also probably ditch the stuff about future people speaking a combination of English and Chinese since they moved the story the the UK already anyway

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

If they wanted to adapt the highly problematic wallfacer gets a waifu arc (which they probably just shouldn't), I feel like they have set up some narrative threads with Augie's disillusionment with the whole EDF program, which could develop into a character arc of her and Saul retreating from and resisting the wallfacer program until *insert unnamed event* causes a change of heart.

I'm no writer but I think they could pull an arc like that off without it being terrible.

Or they could just skip the whole thing because even if they did it right it's an unnecessary distraction from where we're heading.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BastardySkull posted:

I wonder how they are going to deal with the whole thing about everyone in the future being a sissy soyboy and all the men dress like women or whatever the gently caress weird poo poo Cixin Liu was going on about. Hopefully they ditch that as well.

They basically HAVE to get rid of that poo poo, although Benioff & Weiss chronically stepped in it with GoT, so maybe they won't realize how bad it is.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I found going from 'in space you will turn totalitarian in 5 minutes and no longer be human' to 'in the future everyone is a lady and we need to defrost some real men to sort this out like it's Demolition Man' in the space of a couple of chapters to be pretty funny, but I'm not sure it was meant to be

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

They basically HAVE to get rid of that poo poo, although Benioff & Weiss chronically stepped in it with GoT, so maybe they won't realize how bad it is.

I haven't read the books, but it would be easier and potentially more interesting if everyone dresses/acts mostly the same. Say that society slowed way down as everyone pivoted to the war effort.

Putting all the actors in star trek set pieces will be dumb and cost a lot

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Everyone in the future wears silver clothes with lightning bolts on their chest

Edit:

https://i.imgur.com/wy13Hl6.mp4

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 28, 2024

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Speaking of futuristic femme boys one of my low-key favorite moments from the Tencet version is the over-the-top and slightly offensive stereotypically gay Leonardo DaVinci. Saying this as a gay btw, don't downvote me

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I haven't ready the books but I liked the first season. I have a few questions:

- Is it ever explained how the SIA figured out it was aliens causing all the problems? They seem to have realized that some time before it's revealed in the show.
- With the known capability of the sophons, how can anyone trust anything that they see or information they receive? How do they know that Will's brain actually went off course? Maybe the sophons just caused their computers to display that data?
- The way older Ye Wenjie is talking about the San-Ti coming to help and save humanity, she seems to have forgotten the pacifict's warning of "we will conquer you". I guess the conversations with the San-Ti convinced her otherwise?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Apollo posted:

- With the known capability of the sophons, how can anyone trust anything that they see or information they receive? How do they know that Will's brain actually went off course? Maybe the sophons just caused their computers to display that data?

We the viewers are actually shown the problem happening, not just the data display.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Mr. Apollo posted:

I haven't ready the books but I liked the first season. I have a few questions:

- The way older Ye Wenjie is talking about the San-Ti coming to help and save humanity, she seems to have forgotten the pacifict's warning of "we will conquer you". I guess the conversations with the San-Ti convinced her otherwise?

She knew they were coming to conquer us, but she believed that they would be coming as liberators to save us from ourselves. She sent her "come here" message after seeing the horrors of the Revolution, the destruction of the environment, and she was currently living through the Cold War where we could've nuked ourselves into oblivion at any moment. So reaching out for their intervention was like a hail mary. She was sincere in her beliefs until the You Are Bugs moment

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PostNouveau posted:

We the viewers are actually shown the problem happening, not just the data display.
OK, I thought that might be the case but I wasn’t sure if it was just supposed to be another illusion or if showing it meant it was real.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mr. Apollo posted:

OK, I thought that might be the case but I wasn’t sure if it was just supposed to be another illusion or if showing it meant it was real.

The whole idea of that operation was that the San-Ti would willingly pick up this brain shuttle in order to study it and maybe revive it.
He's a weird kind of interstellar ambassador.
There's no real point in sabotaging the launch when they could just as well ignore the whole thing and let it sail past into eternal nothingness.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I forget, did the trilogy ever pick up what happened with Will's brain, or was it only the fanfic that went there?

Well whichever it was, as it was presented in the show, Wade was 100% correct, Trisolarians couldn't help but to pick up that juicy brainmeat.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Also Saul was correct, they tortured the loving poo poo out of him :(

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

DrHammond posted:

I forget, did the trilogy ever pick up what happened with Will's brain, or was it only the fanfic that went there?

Well whichever it was, as it was presented in the show, Wade was 100% correct, Trisolarians couldn't help but to pick up that juicy brainmeat.
yes it's a pretty important plot point in the 3rd book

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cant cook creole bream posted:

The whole idea of that operation was that the San-Ti would willingly pick up this brain shuttle in order to study it and maybe revive it.
He's a weird kind of interstellar ambassador.
There's no real point in sabotaging the launch when they could just as well ignore the whole thing and let it sail past into eternal nothingness.
Yeah that's a fair point.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

DrHammond posted:

Why? They already know everything there is to know about humanity from scouring the internet, and I'm sure they could download the human genetic code from the human genome project.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cimber posted:

Why? They already know everything there is to know about humanity from scouring the internet, and I'm sure they could download the human genetic code from the human genome project.

Do you have any idea how much interstellar bandwidth costs? Why don't they just spring for HD Netflix while they are at it.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

This was simplified out, but the ETO has 3 factions:

Redemptionists believe that the invasion is necessary to fix humanity. Being subjects/slaves of a civilization who actually has their poo poo together is the only way to save us from ourselves.

Adventists (Evans) believe humanity sucks and is irredeemable. They are basically a death cult.

Evans monopolizes communication with the Trisolarans, possibly to hide their genocidal intentions (which they are pretty transparent about).

I think between her first message and his death, all exposure she had to them was filtered through him.

Survivalists are just cynical traitors who are hoping to buy their own survival with service. I don't think this gets elaborated on much.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 28, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It really flew over my head until recently that most of the side stories are microcosms of FYGM

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
So, they don't understand metaphor, but they're capable of using simile? "Y'all are BUGS!"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think that’s metaphor actually

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You are like bugs - simile
You are bugs - metaphor (assuming you're not talking to actual bugs)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I can’t believe how uninterested this show is in exploring humanity's reaction to aliens being real and mean. Leftovers this is not.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

A simile is a subunit of metaphor.

If the San-Ti spammed "Hobbs and Shaw!" around the world, would that invalidate the earlier assertion that the San-Ti had never heard of the Fast and Furious franchise? It's a thing to think about hmmm.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Maybe next time Liu Cixin has a book signing near you, you should bug him about the metaphor inconsistency

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When you say the aliens don't understand metaphor, do they understand everything literally? Like if I said "I'm cold" would they say "no you're not, you are 310 Kelvins above 0?

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Cryomancer posted:

So, they don't understand metaphor, but they're capable of using simile? "Y'all are BUGS!"

They learned the use of that term from Mike because he spelled it out for them

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mistermojo posted:

I can’t believe how uninterested this show is in exploring humanity's reaction to aliens being real and mean. Leftovers this is not.

The second and third books do go into this more but it's on a societal level rather than individual, for the most part

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
VVVV oops

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 29, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
That guys twitter is typical right wing crazy poo poo. Why are you posting this nonsense?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok found a source that’s not chud

We can beat them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Steve Yun posted:

Ok found a source that’s not chud

We can beat them