Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I saw the first two episodes already; my work had a preview screening I got tickets to.

Ask me anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It was actually pretty fine. I’m reading the book right now, which I love, and the show was able to change some things pretty smartly. It’s able to strip out the cultural sexism of the book by centralizing its story around two women instead of one man who happens to do basically everything.

The show has problems but stuff like that indiewire review which is just flat out wrong (Ye Wenjie gets far more screentime than she ever does in the book and exists as a person beyond “person who has bad things happen to her”) and deifies the book as some perfect thing as opposed to a convoluted mess that just wouldn’t ever work without heavy editing to virtually every aspect of it for sheer clarity’s sake isn’t helpful. It’s not a perfect thing, the new addition of the “Oxford Five” reads as some Captain Planet esque poo poo, but it’s a lot better than people are saying it is. I’ll be watching the first season when it premieres at least.