Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

In your LP video you left a hunting rifle in Nestor's island cabin and I think you have a lot of 30-06 :v: Having played a bunch of open xcom mods and dwarf fort way back when, i need to give this game a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Ok.. went with unwilling genetic experiment, woke up in a field next to a pumping station. killed a lone zed and picked up a ton of tool belts, tools, and work clothing, pl;us a bolt cutter. headed to the nearby shelter, got like 50 protein bars I stuffed in a bag i got by dumping cement powder out at the pumping station, then to a farm supply store, snagging a axe from the garden center, and killing a pile of fat zombies and a cop. cop had a 9 shot 12 gauge, the store had a 410 hotgun, and a ar-15, but no ammo. There is soo many tools and materials in this place. i spied a few solar panels on a few buildings, so next project is to see how hard they would be to take off.

Biggest mistake was getting into a brawl while holding a laptop as a weapon. so i got some bruised ribs when a fatty caught up to me. im about noon/early afternoon of day 1. unsure where i wanna hole up, im in the boonies, this store is way too open to use as a shelter. i could start dragging crap to the emergency shelter i guess.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Got machinegunned to death the second i opened a door to a lab, Started a new game, and installed a couple mods. Start in a field, start heading toward a village, and see a few zombies walking about. I start giving a wide berth and see an anklyosaurus there grazing in a field.

I start yelling and making a shitton of noise in my underware on the far side of the dinosaur, and a huge wave of zombies start mobbing it under. Normal undead cannot hurt the thing. so, before noon day 1, i got a town to loot. :v: It also seems to be following me like a puppy as i move through the town. I keep shouting and leading zombie swarms to it.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I never expected to get crushed by the flaming ceiling in the middle of the night, but i was there for it :allears: was looting a town, there were a bunch of those mushroon things, so i lit their fungus patches on fire, and kept looting. i went to sleep in a stone garage with a steel door mostly surrounded by cement. Did not count on the roof going up and being a heavy sleeper, got smished

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 29, 2024

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

woo, slow thread! anyway, day later. Is there a way to make like an entire stack of gallon zipper bags high priority so i can just mass pick up my perishable food?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

If you do the survivor start, you start with a smartphone and it has a clock to tell you exact time, yes

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Sorry to hear about the weirdos. From the experimental notes, they took offense at drunk/altered state of mind/offmeds being protective or a good idea against flaming eyes and yanked everything else out you contributed recently. :|

on a more mechanical note, how does the mutation system work? i rolled random and got a post thresh hold mutant start and found a barrel of mutagen on my way out of the labs. I have no idea how that stuff works.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

in the actions menu [Enter] then [3] inventory, [1] unload container to find the unload container command without binding the key.

I have taken to fighting the monsters in a building, then using [Y] to set up an Unsorted [a] [L] loot zone over the area, then adding a default [a] [k] drop spot and running [Enter] [2] interact, then run zone command sort my loot to have my survivor gather up everything in a pile so i can sort it myself all at once vs checking each drawer and cabinet. You can also set up an auto unload items zone over the pile to automatically dump things out of your small pill bottles and molle packs. you can also use the unload container command on corpses to strip em. if you are within 60 tiles, they will move across z levels. Closed doors block auto sort pathing, so open doors between you and your drop spot. big structures like labs, you might have to auto loot by section, once its safe. You will want to check closets and stuff yourself, because of hidden safes behind dressers and stuff, but it speeds things up, player time wise.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

It's literally the same item as the washing soda below it. the issue is the tampons being inside their own little baggies not letting you see the contents. after seeing the same small cardboard box>other i know its tampons/pads/menstrual cup and ignore em. im sure some jackoff will add in like.. individual pill sleeves and you will see cardboard box>other>single dose antihistamine or something to make my pattern recognition goblin hoarding mess up, but for now, unless you need period supplies for tear down, you can ignore it. You should ditch containers when possible, btw. that box is a bit bigger than a 2L bottle. but might hold something much smaller you could jam into more open space between your pockets and bags. The tampons in the box, with their plastic bag wrappers are .06L in bulk. the box could hold between 40-50 if it was packed absolutely full. its a hard container, so it stays bulky. plastic bags add .01 bulk to things, so are much less of a concern being a flexible container that can hold i think.. .25L total. but dont really do anything as far as i know.

Is there a way to disassemble in bulk? I found zone orders for breaking things down from this pile, but only 1 thing at a time.

My day 1 is going... Well. found a nice working car!

and a trenching tractor!

and a mass grave of dinosaurs that will get up tomorrow.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 10, 2024

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

nice! thankies.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Got a mission to find a relic, and apparently, the Torah didnt count

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Started a new game, using what ive figured out about the mutation system and so on. im cheating, but using it to learn. anyway. starting as a carnivore, my day one was literally this.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

woo! Taco truck hooked up to some solar arrays and a large storage batter plus a recharging station! i can freeze food and charge batteries, i am a god of ice and lightning! :v:

Edit: gently caress me, my hunter brought back 2 hadrosaurs, i cannot store this much!

Double Edit: gently caress i was so occupied preserving and butchering the first one, the second got up and trashed my solar array!

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 16, 2024

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

This was from my NPC bringing them back to my camp with the hunt large game BB mission, I just got too focused on what to do with the hundreds of meat the one gave me, i lost track of time to start on the second. it's all good, ended up with about 400 jerky and 15 gallons of animal cooking oil. the freezer is packed with the organ meats. the solar panels got moved to the roof

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I am annoyed i found 2 copies of cyborg martial arts in this labs armories. i dont have any cbms dang it.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Do vehicle parts like steel plate armor sections have damage threshhold like gun safes and other objects in the world, or are they just giant piles of hp and a zombie waif will eventually chew through the side of my swat van i spent all summer learning how to build and retrofit?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I picked up on parts having permanent damage, Ive got a bunch of || parts to go with my ++ ive been salvaging off other things, replacing engines, controls, etc, adding shock absorbers, and a few |\ tires and heavy frame sections when i ran out of anything better. then i converted the thing from 7.5 tons and 4 wheels to 6.5 tons and 10 wheels with two 4 wheel rear axles to get the ground pressure up. I ended up spending most of the summer losing weight while eating 6-7k calories a day workin on the sucker. Lots of false starts and oh poo poo thats how that works doing and undoing as i messed with the vehicle build system. my next project with it now that it has a m249 turret and a spiked ram is to extend it one square for more cargo, so its got a 4x3 bed vs the 3x3 it had. maainly because it feels right with the twin rear axle set up i have. and find offroad tires. im at 50% offroad now, but more is better.

in a moment of deeerp I was trying to build a rim world cold room style freezer by salvaging AC units and when that didnt work, building a vehicle cold room pod with salvaged AC systems, while walking past the junk yard that had chest freezers and fridges i could take and plug into my grid to store the year of food I ended up with from two carnivores killing each other while walking past a dinosaur petting zoo.

Is there any down side to always lighting fungus patches on fire? I ran into a fungal bloom, lit it on fire, watches the fire unable to get the tower at the center and helped fire win with a couple grenades. I ended up with a lupin muzzle, so i cant wear breathing masks @_@

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Thats good. Ive lost runs when first starting by inhaling spores and having my arms explode after puking out for two or three days when i started in a fungal infected lab room.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

normal sized, just gonna take me 2 days putting it together. Had all the stuff in my lockers.

edit:
What I know about mutations is after a bunch of trial and error and drinking things i should not have, you need primer and catalyst to perform permanent mutations. if you load up on primer and dont catalyze it, you get stat changes based on the primer. if you perform a primer catalyst combo too soon after your last go, you get drawbacks. it feels about 3 days between if you have robust genetics. robust genetics also gives a change to negate flaws before they form, judging by the messages that go 'you feel a change welling up, but it fades.' its about ever half hour it checks to see if you mutate while you have enough mutagen in your system. If you start having dreams about things an animal does, you are getting closer to your threshhold, and once you go over that, you are that. so if you want the huge line, you should go cow or bear, for instance. others can get big, with very tall or inconveniently large, but with drawbacks as the good big mutations are post threshhold.

all my mutation stuff has been radiation or finding vials and experimenting

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 25, 2024

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Do the bench tools like table saw, hydraulic press, et al, have a specific use or are they tools to just have so you dont need to reload batteries into circular saws and power drills? i found some dudes basement workshop as well as a hydraulic press, so now i got 7 of the table tools set up, and i have no idea if i needed to drag them home at all, i just took them because goblin mode

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

worm girl posted:

One of the devs randomly decided that pain was too forgiving and now it's way more punishing than it already was. Now they're talking about how adding a fifth fatigue meter is going to fix it so we should just wait for that.

On the other hand, instability got removed so there's no more waiting for weeks every time you want to mutate.

I'm glad i just dev mode myself into a end state mutant on day one and power fantasy and its the really big gently caress ups that get me killed. like walking into the LIXA 2D laser room after getting knocked down the elevator shaft and not dying from the fall, but not being able to climb my way out.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

worm girl posted:

That sounds absolutely awful.

A big part of it is im still learning, and being dead means i cant learn deeper systems. :v: A bunch of 'my character knows this, but I dont' type things you skip over in the beginning, and whats really important and what is not. like how you can die to a horde by being choked to death while not taking damage to limbs.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

worm girl posted:

Learning those things organically without any kind of god mode and very little in the way of guides is an experience I treasure that I can never have again. Play how you like, but consider that you may be cheating yourself out of a string of dramatic deaths and memorable stories.

oh i still play normal characters too! i just get it in my head that this time i want to learn about X so i make Y a non issue while i learn it, then i start over. like i spent 2 months in a basement with primers, catalysts, and using reset needs to see how mutations work and the two part system functions. i dont think i killed a single zombie that game. It seemed to work that some mutations cost more primer, and won't use up more mutagen from the catalyst, but you will end up with an excess of catalyst in your system by the time you run out of primer. so you take two primers just to not waste mutagen. Then you might have a tiny bit of primer afterwards. if it wasnt dangerous from your body trying to rip itself apart, id say 3 primer to 2 catalyst would be best use of materials in one go.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Learning what things are made of is so important. Like I had no idea where to get long sticks for like 5 games, then I just spent a while tearing everything apart in my starting house. hat racks get you long sticks and you can turn them into staffs and basic spears with the strings from curtains and kitchen supplies. if you are near woods, small trees can be knocked over for the same. beds when smashed give cotton sheets for bandages, things like that.