Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Old Thread

PICTURE THIS For the last couple of years, society has been in a state of gradual collapse. A couple of months ago, people turned on each other and a wave of terrible violence swept across the world. Somehow it got worse, the dead began walking. By the time anyone noticed, it was too late. A week ago, mysterious portals tore open the sky all over the world and terrible monsters killed whoever was left. Last night, a government official managed to make a radio broadcast, no help is coming. This morning, there is only silence. The grid is down. The cities are overrun with undead. Mutants and monsters prowl the wilderness. You are alone.

What would you do?

Cataclysm is a free open-world postapocalyptic survival game put together by an indie dev named Whales in 2010. In 2012, he stepped away from the project, leaving it under the Creative Commons CC BY-SA license. This made it open-source and allowed the community to create a fork of the game known as Dark Days Ahead which has seen continual development by hundreds of contributors ever since, growing into one of the deepest and most complex simulation games around.

Gameplay

After creating a character, the player is dropped somewhere in a fictional version of present-day new England, not long after a series of apocalyptic events have put a definitive end to human civilization. With nothing but the clothes on your back, it's up to you to find or make everything you need to survive in an unreasonably hostile world. Gameplay is turn-based, with an overhead perspective and grid-based movement that will be familiar to any roguelike player. Permadeath is always just a series of obvious-in-retrospect mistakes away, and a procedurally generated overworld means that no two games are ever the same.

- Get parasites from drinking toilet water and die without ever seeing a monster
- Randomly find a machine gun a half hour into the game and use it to alert hundreds of zombies to your exact location
- Break into people's houses and craft Mad Max armor out of their BDSM gear
- Set up a blacksmith shop in the woods and reenact Army of Darkness
- Steal a badly damaged car and fall asleep at the wheel, accidentally running over a coyote at thirty miles an hour which causes you to be thrown from the vehicle and then run over by it and killed instantly
- Go insane and team up with your own tulpa to defeat an evil dragon you are actually standing alone in a field dying of hypothermia
- Progress 25 skills and dozens of proficiencies with a learn-by-doing system
- Become a cyborg by augmenting yourself with bionics from an alternate universe
- Inject yourself with experimental mutagen and gamble on over 300 mutations
- Do both and turn into an extremely handsome acid-blooded cyborg crab wolf that can't stop screaming
- Build a fully-customized vehicle out of hundreds of different parts, be it a skateboard pulled by a golden-retriever or a 20-ton amphibious murdermobile that runs on biofuel made of zombies
- Recruit NPC survivors and establish your own community. Continue playing as one of them if you die
- Be a pyromaniac and get massive mood buffs for burning down your hometown with a flamethrower
- Explore the world, completing quests for the various factions that are trying to survive the cataclysm
- Venture beyond the fabric of known reality as you search for answers
- Run over a landmine while trying to parallel park and instantly die

The bionics menu. Like mutations, bionics are acquired in an a la carte manner, leading to unique loadouts on every character

Where can I get the game?

The easiest way is from The Website. The Releases tab will take you to the stable build (0.G Gaiman, at the time of this writing). If you'd like to test out new features, you can click the link on the releases page to go to the experimental builds. Experimental is usually perfectly playable, but because it's updated every day and is considered a testing ground, it may sometimes be unbalanced or a bit buggy.

There are also launchers, which make it easy to keep on top of the latest releases.
Windows
Linux

The game is also available for purchase on Steam. The Steam version is exactly the same as the current stable build, but comes with Steam achievements. The money goes to one developer who maintains the Steam build, but doesn't pay for development on the game itself. The Steam version has Workshop support. The workshop is not needed for mods, but it may be a more convenient way to access out of repo mods.

What about mods?

This game is tremendously complicated and you should probably learn how to play it vanilla first. Once you've figured out how to eat food and drive a car without freezing to death, modding the game is pretty simple. It comes with several in-repo mods which you can generally expect to be reasonably bug-free and compatible with the current version of the game. These can be added to any world during world creation by hitting the m key. Most of these are pretty self-explanatory, so I'll avoid going through them here.

There are out of repo mods, but for the most part these aren't properly maintained and will cause bugs. If you do find a mod off a website somewhere, make sure you confirm it's for the version of the game you're using!

One very notable out of repo mod is Sky Islands, which is exceptional for the fact that it may make the game more approachable. Sky Islands transforms the game from a permadeath survival sim into a Tarkov-style looter. You start on an empty island in the sky and warp down to random places in the world. Any loot you haul back to the extraction point is yours to keep, but if you die or run out of time, you're sent back with nothing!

Tilesets or ASCII?

The same image in ASCII and Ultica

This is mostly down to personal preference. Cataclysm has way, way more items, furniture, and monsters than most roguelikes, so many players find it easier to keep track of everything with a tileset. Luckily, the game comes with several and you can simply switch between them in the options menu under the graphics tab. This goon recommends MSXOtto+ or Chibi Ultica, but there are many to choose from. One notable tileset that doesn't come with the game (it has some copyrighted assets in it which can't legally be distributed with the game) is Undeadpeople, which is very similar to MSXOtto+. You may have heard about some drama with this tileset, but the original maintainer is no longer involved and it's now in the capable hands of Theawesomeboophis, who was nice enough to keep the project going after all of that.

Resources

CDDA Wiki - This wiki is pretty outdated, but it still has lots of good guides and there's an active push to get the place fixed up for the next stable release. Just take anything you read there with a grain of salt.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Cataclysm - HHG is the definitive resource for the game, as it pulls directly from the latest experimental's json files. It can be a crutch or an invaluable resource, depending on how often you click over to look at it
Cataclysm on Github - This is where development happens. You can go to the issues tab and make a post if you find a bug or have an idea for a new feature
Cataclysm DDA Subreddit - The devs mostly avoid this place as it's been a venue for harassment, however there are many fun people and posts there and things have been pretty chill lately

Every single button on my keyboard does something and none of it is what I want

I can't think of another game that offers the same degree of freedom and depth as Cataclysm - you really can do just about anything in this game - but the price you pay is that the learning curve is worse than Dwarf Fortress. I'd recommend checking out the in-game tutorial (accessed via the main menu) but there are other resources.

Worm Girl's Tutorial Series - This is a video guide I made over a year ago. Everything in it should apply to 0.G stable and most of it still applies in the current experimental versions. It talks to you like your five and slowly walks you through what buttons to push and why you're pushing them, with the goal of getting you through your first day with some basic supplies. There are a few followup videos, though at this time I should warn that the advice in the "Primitive Melee" video is outdated as of recent experimentals. Still good in 0.G though
Ic0n Gaming's Tutorial Series - Part 1 of a similar series by Ic0n Gaming. It's slightly older, but has more videos and a different presentational style
TheMurderUnicorn's Tutorial Series - TMU is another Cataclysm youtuber who started a tutorial series around the same time as Ic0n gaming. This series is super thorough

Notably, the latter two series use Ultica while mine uses MSXOtto+. It may be easiest for you to go with the one that looks the same as your own game.

Other Projects

As an open-source project, anyone can fork the game at any time. While DDA is absolutely the biggest and most regularly developed fork, a few others exist, offering alternative experiences and communities.

Cataclysm: Bright Nights - Split off around 0.E, a version of the game which focuses on more fast-paced gameplay with less emphasis on simulation
Cataclysm: Looming Darkness - A multiplayer remake in development, reportedly with a release coming soon
Foxlight C:DDA - Play CDDA on a server
WatchCDDA - Use the internet to watch people play CDDA

Development and Contributing

The project is organized into a few tiers. There is the maintainer, Kevin Granade, then a sort of hand-picked inner circle of developers, whose job is to control quality and keep the project on track so that some random person can't just roll up and add stuff that breaks the game or doesn't conform to the design docs, project standards, or the overall vibe. Anyone else who wants to work on the project is termed a contributor.

Literally anybody can contribute to CDDA. If you have an idea for the game, you can implement it on your own machine and submit it for review. If the devs decide it's right for the game, it'll get added for everyone to play with, and then bam, you're a contributor! The game is coded in C++, but never fear - you can work on a lot of things without ever learning a line of code thanks to the magic of javascript. Most monsters, bionics, items, mutations, maps, NPCs, and quests are all defined in very simple json files which you can modify with a text editor. You don't even need to compile! You will however need to learn how to use github which is literally harder than coding

I'm a contributor myself. I learned everything I know about C++ in a couple of years, just chipping away at the game's systems to see what I could do, but even before I knew anything about the language, I was able to add some useful items to the game, and I always smile when I see them.

Developer Discord - This is the easiest place to get started. Make sure you read the rules and check the vibes before you jump in. For various reasons, they run a tight ship over there and get grumpy about memes and stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/0oxUfOj.mp4

worm girl fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Goon CDDA Content
The Original CDDA LP thread - It's very ancient and nobody gets very far, but that doesn't mean the stories aren't funny
Worm Girl's LP thread - A gigantic thread with one huge screenshot LP, a few shorter spinoff screenshot LPs, and links to my stuff on Youtube. Shameless self promotion, yay!

Do we have any other goon threads or pages?

Non-goon Stuff!

Rycon - Rycon is my personal favorite CDDA youtuber. He does really wonderful roleplay-oriented playthroughs and is great at turning even very incidental encounters into interesting stories
Vormithrax - Vorm has been taking a break from CDDA, but he's one of the most prolific creators around and basically knows everything about the game
TheMurderUnicorn - TMU's got a ton of great content, including let's plays and rundowns of the experimental updates

There are many others, but I haven't gotten caught up with 'em so I'm not sure what to recommend.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 31, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

RabidWeasel posted:

I really think that most of the animalistic mutation lines should have a size mutation of some sort, it just fits in with how you'd "expect" turning into a hideous crime against god and man to work (and plays into the body horror side of it as well when you get big / small enough for it to be problematic)

A wolf isn't bigger than a human irl though, it's the same size or smaller.

Mutations are also purposefully spread around a bit unevenly to make you consider mixing lines, and to ensure that each individual line is different from the rest.

edit: Also you can now take the Very Tall trait at chargen if you just want to be a lorge wolf. Or the Very short one if you'd prefer to be 4'5"

worm girl fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 31, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

LukasR23 posted:

Right now it seems like even with street fighter and the 10dex/10str start recommended in Worm Girl's video I still get my rear end kicked by a single zombie.

What is your weapon and what are your arm and torso encumbrance at? (You can see these by pressing @)

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I grew up in the desert and as long as you don't exert yourself too much and have plenty of water and reasonable clothing, anything south of 110 is not that bad. I used to hike around for several hours at a time in those temperatures.

Another time I went out when it was over 120 and probably came as close to dying as I ever have. I was out for like an hour before I started getting too dizzy to walk and having little mini blackouts.

Temperature in the game is entirely hosed up. Maybe I should write a heat stroke effect and damage should only kick in at like actual burning temperatures.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 3, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Speaking of bullshit deaths, I added some counterplay to the Flaming Eyes. Previously, they would always hit you with Tainted Mind every 12 seconds that they could see you, which would eventually cause some very bad things to happen. The only way to avoid this was to avoid them entirely, snipe them with an absurdly long-ranged gun in the dark (doesn't work in labs for obvious reasons), or peek-throw grenades (destroys loot if they're in the finale). Or you could have an active five-point anchor which is endgame loot which they're ironically frequently guarding.

Now, if you have Kaluptic Psychosis and are unmedicated, you have a 66% chance to negate the attack. If you are any level of drunk above tipsy, you have a 1/6 chance for every level of drunkenness you have, to a maximum of 5/6 if you're Dead Drunk. Getting drunk has a lot of drawbacks so it's not meant to be a perfect solution, but it might buy you enough time to gun the eye down at close range, or at least get away without getting the hounds called on you.

I would make this work with more drugs (psychedelics or extremely high doses of opioids), but none of them are coded very well except for weed, and I don't think weed is the right drug for this.

If you have Kaluptic Psychosis, you can learn about the resistance by talking to Dino Dave at the refugee center.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Vib Rib posted:

I always thought it would be cool if blinding yourself prevented the stare effect. I get that it's caused by it seeing you, not making eye contact with it, but it feels like a thematically appropriate and even player-intuitive way to deal with a giant otherworldly eyeball.

This is how the other psychic attack, fear paralysis, works. If you have to fight Amigara Horrors (who I just buffed) you can protect yourself by wearing a blindfold.

I want to buff them a bit more as they're not the most interesting boss in the world, and they don't work like they ought to. IMO they should be really slow, but paralyze you so they can creep up and strangle you to death with their noodle arms. That way, blinding yourself wouldn't be a perfect solution, because it would make it really hard to shoot them, but you could use hearing (or the upcoming echolocation mutation in my Chiropteran PR!) to discern their location and blindly fire at them, or use a turret, or bring a bunch of dogs, or something.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

30.5 Days posted:

I'm following worm girls' tutorial and uhhh there's just no cars outside! Like I've been up and down all nearby streets, crossed a big plain and started wandering around a town until the zombies were too dense to go further and I really can't find any cars!

In addition to the advice above, sometimes you just get a bad world. There are 3 mi-go outside. The shelter is right next to a mass grave. The only town is blocked by a wasp nest. If you're just following the tutorial, feel free to delete your world and make a new one, but once you get to actual playing, these kinds of curveballs are what really define your run. One time I could not find a hacksaw anywhere to fix my car, so I was stuck in my starting town and forced to learn how to do a bunch of complicated forging and stuff to make one, which became its own story and pushed my character toward being a modern-day knight, something that might not have happened if I'd been able to simply find what I needed.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't feel obligated to adhere to point buy. It's ancient and hasn't been rebalanced in an ice age.

That being said, I did my current character with point buy :haw:

I'm going to rebalance it at some point, not because it's coming back as a main chargen feature, but because I think the proposed mutagen system is going to care about it.

Currently working on redoing acid attacks. Getting splashed with boomer bile or acid will have a chance to damage your gear or get it filthy. I spent about eight hours writing a function that meticulously goes over everythibg you're wearing where you get splashed and models how much of the fluid gets on each item or soaks rhrough based on its coverage and breathability.

It's a ways out, but the upshot is that you'll want to wear waterproof outwerwear, but life won't be an endless cycle of repairing and washing your clothes as long as you pay the slightest bit of attention to the game.

Someone pointed out that rigid table manners doubles the time it takes to eat stuff, but mouth tentacles makes eating instant.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 7, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Somebody recently added craftable ballistae that you can mount on your vehicle. They can't be fired by hand, but you can stick one on a shopping cart.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
https://i.imgur.com/0oxUfOj.mp4

I tried to post this on the CDDA Reddit but apparently it doesn't allow videos, so enjoy this inventory tutorial.

edit what am i doing, this is OP material

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Mountain Lightning posted:

So I just got wrecked by another new(?) monster that's seemingly in the same vein of other 'Surprise, you're dead in the first month unless you have a .50 Cal or something' monsters (you know, the Shadow or the Star Vampire).

It's rated at 165 difficulty, fatally dangerous. That's the same as a juggernaut. They have 200hp and no armor except 5 bash and the PLASTIC flag, which makes them reduce all incoming bash damage by 25-50%. They've only got 6 melee and 2 dodge, and they're categorized as large, so they're really easy to hit with any weapon but especially guns. So the intent appears to be that you should shoot them, which is of course complicated by the fog.

It probably got you because it has 200 speed and hits like a truck. 8d6 is a hilarious amount of dice to be throwing, on par with the Melded Task Force (one of the hardest enemies in the game, unique and locked to a single location), especially when they also have smash so they can potentially do that twice in a second or follow it up by punting you across the street. A spear was basically the worst possible weapon to choose to fight it with.

I think the only way for them to spawn out in a field is if there's a portal or tear in reality nearby, or the new "nether-fatigued field" map location. They'll also show up in lab-type places.

I like the idea, but the damage and speed both seem a little extreme.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

The Lone Badger posted:

Lotta weight to not have any medical supplies.

He's so good he doesn't need them.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

worm girl posted:

It probably got you because it has 200 speed and hits like a truck. 8d6 is a hilarious amount of dice to be throwing

I double checked this 'cause I was going to submit a fix, but it's actually only 8d3 bash + 8 cut, so it'll do 8-24 bash with 8 cut every time it hits. That's still very high, but not bonkers like I thought.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
My fangs PR just got merged, which changes how fangs and the new vampire fangs (from the chiropteran mutation ) work. These are going to be the model for all mutation attacks going forward, so you might want a heads up if you use mutations or have been thinking about it.

Previously, fangs just randomly procced sometimes and added something like strength x 2 stab damage when you attacked an enemy. So you'd hit a guy with a cudgel and just, for free, also do 20 stab to him by biting him at the same time, somehow.

Now, fangs have a 1/5 chance of replacing any melee attack you make altogether, substituting whatever you were going to do with a bite. The bite is fast (base 75 moves, faster with dex and melee skill) and can crit just like a weapon.

Fangs have relatively low DPS (they're just 2 inch teeth in a human mouth) but there are a number of advantages that might not immediately be clear:
- They use your mouth as an attack vector, so only head injuries will make them less effective.
- You can't lose the use of them because your arm(s) got grabbed.
- If you are being grabbed, attacking the enemy who grabbed you will cause you to greatly favor your fangs, letting you take full advantage of the above two factors.
- Mutants often have problems with arm and hand encumbrance, which fangs sidestep.

If you have the digitigrade legs mutation and any paws mutation, you can crouch or run with your hands free, and you'll go down on all fours, gaining the "Natural Stance" effect. This makes you way harder to shoot, lets you hide behind stuff, and you still crouch-walk at your full walking speed with quieter steps. While natural stance is active, you suffer no penalties to dodging or making unarmed attacks (including mutation attacks) and will greatly favor using any that you have.

You can also get Natural Stance if you have Bat Wings and Bow-Legged (both from the chiropteran line). Bats also get Vampire Fangs, which are better than regular fangs, and have anticoagulant saliva, which will greatly prolong any bleeding wounds you cause. The suggested way to play as a bat is to sneak around with your silent crawling, bite an enemy once or twice, then use your ability to climb walls to escape and let them bleed out. Weakpoint proficiencies will be vital for this in the late game.

If you would prefer not to bite, simply wear something over your mouth.

Beast, Lupine, Rabbit, and Feline all get paws and digitigrade legs. Chimera doesn't, partly to differentiate it from Beast and partly to encourage people to consider mixing lines. I intend to give other mutation attacks conditions where they will be favored - hooves stomping on downed enemies, shark teeth proccing more often in water, folding fangs proccing more often vs webbed enemies. You get the idea.

and thats how mafia works!

worm girl fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 28, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Vib Rib posted:

Does natural stance make you faster? In my mind it obviously would, like from a vibes-based perspective, but I don't know if there's anything to back that up.

Only for bats, and only because their upright walking speed is sorta crap. I didn't code the digitigrade/quadrupedal stuff, I just made it relevant in combat. It's been around for a while.

Non-bat quadrupeds have reduced carry weight while upright. They also all get +move speed and or stamina buffs from their mutation line so it sorta all works out anyway.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

winterwerefox posted:

I never expected to get crushed by the flaming ceiling in the middle of the night, but i was there for it :allears: was looting a town, there were a bunch of those mushroon things, so i lit their fungus patches on fire, and kept looting. i went to sleep in a stone garage with a steel door mostly surrounded by cement. Did not count on the roof going up and being a heavy sleeper, got smished

People complain about dying, but all my most memorable stories in this game are from times that I died.

winterwerefox posted:

woo, slow thread! anyway, day later. Is there a way to make like an entire stack of gallon zipper bags high priority so i can just mass pick up my perishable food?

I don't think so, settings are per-pocket. When you whitelist a pocket for an item category, it will automatically set priority to 100, so that's something I suppose.

edit: Bile changes are live.

Boomers that barf or explode in bile or glowing bile will now make an honest to god attack roll with it rather than just magically getting goo on you. If it reaches your skin or your eyes, it has a minor negative impact on your lifestyle score and makes you way smellier for a few minutes.

Bile splashes also check against armor. Just like any other attack, they start from the outermost layer for the body part they hit and roll against coverage for each layer until the attack has been stopped or they reach your skin.

Any time bile rolls under an armor's coverage, the armor deflects an amount of the liquid relative to its breathability score and rolls a saving throw against the amount of liquid remaining, penalized by its breathability score.

Currently the filth rate from a barf attack by a normal boomer is about 1% for a direct hit to a 0 breathability item and 4% for a 100 breathability item. Huge boomers are something like 3% and 12%. The explosion from a boomer death has a bit higher of a chance.

To prevent getting filthy:
1) Kill boomers with ranged weapons or traps so that you don't get splashed.
2) Failing that, dodge their attacks.
3) Failing that, wear high-coverage low breathability items. Something like a rain poncho is perfect for this, as it will protect your gear very well and is itself disposable if you don't feel like doing laundry later. You can carry a few in your backpack and just discard them as needed.

Filthy gear confers a -7 morale penalty (not a big deal) and can cause filthy wounds if you're injured while wearing it (also not a big deal, thanks to antiseptic being everywhere now).

worm girl fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 2, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

AtomikKrab posted:

To go with Bite attacks, Sabretooth when?

I went to move the other attacks over, but I discovered that all mutation attacks are actually going to be routed through the WIP limb system, so I shouldn't keep making them use integrated items. The ones we have now are fine for proof of concept/tests/making chiropteran playable, but we're not getting any more until one of the devs is able to rewrite the attack vector system. AFAIK they are actively working on it, and the rest of the bites will be added to the limb mod at that point.

I'm not sure when the limb mod will be moved to mainline. There are a lot of blocker issues still.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Do Squeamish players have any extra effects if a piece of gear they're wearing is filth-ified while they're wearing it?

Code says they're supposed to, but when I tested they got the same -7 morale as anyone else. Not sure what the issue is.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I submitted a PR that multiplies filth morale penalties for squeamish characters by 1.5. It also adds a new trait called Vermin that troglobite, insect, gastropod, and chimera can get that make them not care.

The trait is pre-threshold, so if you want to get it on your rat or your alpha, you can take a dip to snag it.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Woke up to four of my PRs being reverted, one of them months old. All the boomer stuff is going away and I'm sure they'll go through and get rid of more of my work. I'm not totally sure why. Nobody else's work is being reverted, and it's being done in a way that feels personal which is odd because I don't ever talk to any of those people.

I am probably done contributing. Doing hours of unpaid coding with no guarantee it will get merged is one thing, in fact a more rigorous review process would be welcome. Having that work yanked out months later and repeatedly mischaracterized and denigrated in PR bodies is another. It just isn't worth the time or effort.

That means the lab I was working on isn't getting finished, and I won't be doing the quests or faction I had written up. Venera may eventually do mutation attacks, but all the stuff about acid and boomers is gone.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Pigbuster posted:

I'm gonna do what I can to ensure that stuff makes it back in, for what that's worth.

Thanks. The main thing I was going for was a system where liquid attacks could interact with armor layers using breathability as a resistance stat. The plan was to get all that working with filth (IMO it works great, it's just being applied too often and boomers are too common) and then from there set it up for acid. Items would use breathability to resist soaking up the acid (so, for their saving throw) then they'd use their acid resistance stat to resist getting damaged. That was also working great, I just didn't get to merge it before the whole thing was yanked away from me.

Floor acid is stupid. It is really stupid. If I splash a vial of acid at you, it is not going to puddle on the floor and hurt your feet if you're not wearing special shoes, it's going to soak into or react with the ground, unless we're standing on concrete or linoleum - but those are flat surfaces and it's a non-viscous substance, so it's going to spread out so thin that it won't matter anyway.

My plans for all of that can be seen in https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/71584 - this PR is largely complete with acid and bile both working and armor updated to properly interact with it, but had to be broken up as it had grown too big. The balance was pretty good I thought. Acid was no longer doing direct damage to characters or monsters, it was applying the corroding effect, which was updated to do more appropriate damage over time. The plan was to sharply limit or remove floor acid, and if it stayed in at all, to make it simply apply the corroding effect rather than dealing direct damage. All that was left to do after that was a material audit, and then maybe figuring out a way to give monsters more interesting interactions when hit by splash attacks (maybe using their enviro resistance in place of breathability protection? This would require giving a lot of them some enviro, but that's sensible enough).

The big plan was then to have a system where the liquid-splashing monsters created a situation where you had another thing to think about when choosing your gear. Instead of just damage+encumbrance, you'd be looking at damage+encumbrance+waterproofing, but waterproofing also traps sweat, which makes keeping cool more difficult. So deciding what to wear would be less clear cut and you'd want to put together different outfits at different times.

Lastly, I was going to go through survivor gear and redo it to mostly be nylon workwear with cut-proof kevlar liners and flexseal (which is butyl rubber, the stuff IRL gas masks and acid-resistant gloves are made of) sprayed on the outside of it, so you'd wind up like 3mm kevlar, 1mm nylon, 0.1mm rubber. Basicallly Macguyvering armor that had decent melee protection (but worse than medieval gear), decent acid protection (but worse than Hub 01 gear), poor to decent bullet protection (but worse than military gear), and still had like 10% breathability and low encumbrance. A suit that was great for fighting zombies, but didn't do any one thing better than more specialized gear. I even got about 50% of the way through making one in real life to prove that it would work.

IDK, I just like the idea of late-game survivors wearing handcrafted armor specialized for the unique challenges of the cataclysm, and using a rain poncho to protect yourself from the ubiquitous barf attacks is also a cool aesthetic.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 5, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Floor acid is indeed very stupid. The answer to floor acid is to wear diving socks. They give 10 environmental resist, which means that a humble pair of week 1 combat boots can get you over the threshold (12) to just ignore floor acid entirely. I wear them over a nomad bodymesh. It gives an additional +2 encumbrance penalty to do so, but who cares, feet encumbrance is largely pointless.

...unless, say, there's a mechanic where keeping your balance is a problem. I haven't updated my game in months because my current survivor refuses to die and I don't want to have to try to update over a sdhfillion experimental versions, but I do have the initial boomer bile changes and I like them a lot. Boomers went from a complete joke to something you actually have to plan around during fights. It's a location-based hazard that you can't just elect to ignore with a gas mask (or the buffed air filter CBM) and I appreciate that there are ways for zombies to force you to reposition.

The slippery floor stuff is being reverted with some very specious reasoning, even though it's been in for four months and the response has been pretty positive. Any attempts to get clarification or ask about reworking the mechanic have been ignored, so your sock meta is intact for the foreseeable future.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
There's Kevin at the top, who has dictatorial control over the project. This is a good thing, as design by committee is practically impossible and you absolutely need one person with that kind of power and the will to use it in order to maintain thematic and mechanical consistency. Below him there's a group of developers, I'm not sure if they're ranked by seniority but they are given latitude to do pretty much whatever they want unless there's disagreement among the devs or Kevin says no. Everyone else is just a contributor with no political power whatsoever. You just throw your code into the void. If a dev likes it, they'll merge it, and if any have a problem with it, they won't. They usually work with contributors via code review to make sure things that cross the finish line are quality product that aligns with the project's goals.

I didn't see any discussion anywhere about my work on the discord, so I can only assume that in a private conversation somewhere, somebody said, "gently caress this contributor in particular." The only strong disagreement I've ever had with the devs was when I argued that renaming Psychopath but not changing anything about it was papering over the issue and calling it woke, as was done with Kaluptic Psychosis - IMO this is worse than having a politically incorrect depiction of mental illness in your game and being up front about it. They also groused at me once or twice for coming down too hard on a PR I didn't agree with in the comments, but that was probably fair. That all seemed like fairly normal creative disagreement though and not anything unusual, so who knows.

Maybe it's just a misunderstanding or a miscommunication and in a week everything will be fine and we'll have better versions of the reverted systems on the way, but if that's the case, the miscommunication has been pretty dire.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 6, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

winterwerefox posted:

Sorry to hear about the weirdos. From the experimental notes, they took offense at drunk/altered state of mind/offmeds being protective or a good idea against flaming eyes and yanked everything else out you contributed recently. :|

Especially confused by this one. He uses some very strong language to say that it's morally abhorrent to depict alcohol granting a measure of resistance to psychic attack, and that it's "extremely problematic" to suggest that mental illness could do so. He also says that I'm encouraging people to go off their meds. Like, real life people.

Setting aside that psychic attacks aren't real and this is a game with traits that give you massive mood bonuses for killing and eating innocent people alongside language about getting off on it, they changed Schizophrenia to Kaluptic Psychosis precisely so that it could do weird apocalypse things. The whole point of the name change is that it isn't schizophrenia, it's a unique reaction to some combination of the blob affecting everyone's brains and the worsening dimensional instability. It's not a real illness and is in fact actually magic sci fi bullshit, so how is it "problematic" if it grants some benefit to the character? How am I "encouraging people to go off their meds" by saying a nonexistent magical disease might protect them from fictional aliens if they don't take a drug for it?

I'm also not sure how it would be problematic if a non-fantasy mental illness provided some bonus against psychic attack. As a mentally ill person myself, I think it would actually be tight as hell.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 7, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The crux of the issue for me was like, the game had a schizophrenia trait which was very badly implemented and was nothing like real-life schizophrenia. It was perpetuating some outdated and negative stereotypes about how the condition works, and they rightly thought "hey this is pretty offensive." The solution they came up with was to rename it to something else. Based on more recent discussions around the removal of the Psychopath trait for the same reasons, I don't think they would have been comfortable simply making Schizophrenia more realistic. It was a problem for them that it was depicted at all.

So they renamed it to Kaluptic Psychosis, which is a fake condition that is caused by Cataclysm things, which are explicitly magical sci fi dimension-hopping nonsense. That doesn't necessarily mean these people have special powers or anything, but it means that they are hallucinating for Cataclysm reasons and not for Schizophrenia reasons. Fine, that's totally acceptable. Except Kevin's phrasing in response to the burning eye thing kind of reveals that the whole thing was sleight of hand. It's still schizophrenia, it was just that calling it schizophrenia out loud was deemed offensive. To me that's the worst possible way to handle it. It's just sweeping it under the rug and calling it woke, which is worse than having the problematic depiction of it around in the first place because now it's a straight up lie, kinda the definition of performativity, which is really weird, because the game is otherwise pretty good at depicting different kinds of people with some sensitivity.

ComradePyro posted:

one of the quickest ways to become friends with a person who has schizophrenia is being willing to discuss the meds in any way beyond "you have to take them". there are a lot of trade-offs involved, schizophrenia meds are rough as gently caress

This is what I was angling for. A friend of mine got put on Seroquel and while it managed one or two symptoms, it made things much worse for her in other ways. She would fall asleep standing up and kept having false memories about conversations we hadn't had, something she never did before she started taking it. I myself have had similar but less dramatic experiences with antidepressants. Nowadays I take Vyvanse and while it's vastly changed my life for the better, there are days where I choose not to take it because not all of the things that it does are good. It is absolutely the case that my assorted mental illnesses do make me better at some things than I would be without them.

Kafouille posted:

Someone on the core dev team is extremely weird about drugs having any kind of upside, I don't know if it's Kevin or someone else but it's been a longstanding thing.

Even if this is the case, I think such a PR could be reverted or denied without language that implied that I was trying to hurt people in real life.

I have pretty strongly defended the dev team and even Kevin in the past, both here and on Reddit, where people are incredibly hostile toward them for reasons that I still think are usually misinformed or argued in bad faith. They are neither ruining the game with ~realism~ nor are they bad people. They do not deserve the abuse or trolling they constantly get, and some of this is just stuff that plagues every open source project no matter who works on it. But also: god drat dude

Leal posted:

Drugs in video games are always wack. See Rimworld

IMO the drugs in Rimworld are perfect. They're incredibly powerful in the right situations and there are always ways to mitigate the downsides and maximize the benefits, even though you're generally fighting a losing battle against tolerance and addiction. Smokeleaf does need a floor on its -consciousness effect though, because it is silly when someone dies of weed. My last colony was waster transhumanists who ran on psychite 24/7 and would pop a yayo every other day, which stacked with their pollution buffs, bionics, and neural supercharge effects to make them really, really fast and effective pretty much all the time. My doctor had a joywire and a thing that broadcasted her good mood to everyone around her, and her stats were so high, the joywire debuff didn't even matter, that was lots of fun.

I don't even want CDDA drugs to be that good. It's fine if they're mostly bad, because RL drugs are mostly bad for things other than recreation, and often not worth the trouble even then.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 7, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

ComradePyro posted:

p.s. starting to get weird how much we have in common, went back to adderall after trying vyvanse for a few months. less physical discomfort but a lot more prone to hyperfocus, been with my good friends 20 XR and 10 IR ever since!

IMO Adderall is just better all around, but the fact that even the XR doesn't last all day is a really big downside. Adderall turns your day into a roller coaster where you're trying to work around the peaks and comedown rather than just letting you forget that your brain is chemically deficient for 90% of the day.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Dandywalken posted:

Not sure glamorizing mental illness as "cool and sexy" is the way to go about things tbqh

Are you accusing me of this, or a guy who is not here that was in DMs with someone who was idly commenting on the situation?

'cause I don't think "you have a 50% chance for psychic attacks from this one sort of rare monster to miss if you have this one fantasy mental illness" qualifies as glamorizing anything.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Alpha is always the smart move. Plus stats? Yes please.

It's easily the worst mutation line imo, except maybe Elf-A. The stat buffs can't compare to what you get out of any of the other lines that have them and you get very little else.

The exception would be if you started with all low stats. The Prime mutations aren't a flat increase, they just move your stat closer to 18 relative to how low it was to begin with, which is pretty significant if everything was 6 to begin with. But you get like +14 strength from going crab on top of a ton of other benefits, and crab armor is way better than the crappy bionic stuff, not to mention that you barely need to eat any food and that food can be zombies. Players have a lot of anxiety about losing access to bionics, but in many cases what you're losing is vastly inferior to what you're gaining, or can easily be worked around.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 8, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The reason drugs work that way us that "stimulants" and "depressants" were written as a hardcoded effect over a decade ago and every drug has some amount of either, which is where most of their effects come from. These hardcoded effects were bad when they were written, but are now ten years behind development. It's not intended, nobody working on the game thinks that's how drugs work irl or how they should work in Cataclysm.

Kevin did not steal anything. Whales decided to retire the project and published it under the open source license which it uses to this day. Whales has occasionally posted that he is amazed by the creativity of the community and how big the game has gotten. Whales's last published build is still freely available to anyone who wants to try to get it to compile on a modern OS.

I disagree about the last part but that's a matter of opinion. Most if the scifi stuff has gotten more accessible, not less, and the survival stuff is the cool part. If you just want to press tab, DCSS will always be the superior game.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Mutagen is not really any less common than before, in fact a couple of weeks ago they turned the spawns way up. The system for actually mutating is just obnoxious now. I think they believe it's fine because players are simply avoiding interacting with it and not giving feedback.

CBMs have not been significantly nerfed, except for the completely broken sword and claws. A few pieces got removed for being silly, like the internal furnace, but not many.

They did remove most of the robots which sucks. The robots made no sense in the story, but they were all really fun enemies.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 8, 2024

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also, wow, that giant pincer is a permanent +30 encumbrance to the right hand. I wonder if I can wield a 1-handed weapon with my left hand...

The effect of that isn't particularly bad compared to tge +14 strength and massive hp buffs.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

TrashMammal posted:

always room for a cataclysm: dipshit free fork

Spite is never a good reason to do anything, which is why at least two of these have come and (basically) gone.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Testekill posted:

I went through a tear in reality and now I am "beset by a vision of a prowling beast"

How hosed am i?

Very!

You are being stalked across spacetime by the hounds of Tindalos. Eventually, they will find you, which will spawn one hound plus one for every corner - as in, a space where the walls make an L - within (iirc) 15 tiles of you. Each Hound can summon one copy of itself that will die when the original does, but they're impossible to tell apart. They're almost entirely immune to cut, stab, and bullets and they hit pretty hard. They're slow, but they can teleport to catch up to you.

The best thing to do is get outside ASAP and find a vehicle. When they appear, use the vehicle to escape. If you get far enough away, they'll lose you. Note that they can sometimes teleport into your vehicle.

Their only weakness are bash and fire damage. Good luck!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Inglonias posted:

It's worth mentioning that docs are being written up to try to prevent more incidents like the ones that occurred in the last few weeks - I'm planning to review these docs very closely and do everything I can to make sure they get read.

A few documents won't do anything to change the managerial style that has been a nonstop source of complaints for the entire time I've been aware of the game. If the devs are simply not paying attention to what the contributors and the merge team are doing, then it doesn't matter what it says in a text file somewhere.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Someone on the worm discord said that if you have a post-thresh Alpha follower, there should be a chance when you go to sleep that you just wake up playing as them and your original character is gone. That would be annoying and is not actually a good idea, but it would also be really funny.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
They have HP and armor, like a monster. Damage that doesn't beat their armor won't hurt them, but if it does, they'll take damage that will persist until they're repaired.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

winterwerefox posted:

Is there any down side to always lighting fungus patches on fire? I ran into a fungal bloom, lit it on fire, watches the fire unable to get the tower at the center and helped fire win with a couple grenades. I ended up with a lupin muzzle, so i cant wear breathing masks @_@

All survivor masks fit over muzzles, so you can craft one of those potentially. You don't even need XL, unless you're huge.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

Is there a guide or general tips for getting into mutations if you're not starting in a lab / TCL? It's one part of the game I've never really touched, like, ever. Should you scour for TCL ASAP, go digging around the subways for labs?

I believe the ideal combo is one primer, two catalyst. You can do this twice. When it's done, you want to wait until your genome effect goes away, then you can do it again. You will only ever get negative mutations as prereqs to positive/neutral mutations if you do this.

Yes, that's silly. A better system is in the works, but for now even just doing that once or twice will usually net you a ton of great mutations.

TCL has the most mutagen in it, but it can take you 2 or 3 days to even get to it, and it's full of very hard enemies. The subway labs aren't guaranteed to have anything and they mostly are crammed with ridiculous numbers of enemies. So take your pick really. Mutagen mostly comes in boxes now, so don't assume there isn't any just because you don't see vials sitting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Arrath posted:

Well that's some diabolical VaultTec poo poo

They're not supposed to be XEDRA labs, they were designed as some entirely different thing that doesn't use sci fi tech. So if there are mutagen books down there, it's an error.

IMO it shouldn't have been merged as it's confusing, or it should have just been made into a XEDRA lab,
but :shrug: