Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best part of the Alex Smith comeback year was his wife tearfully cheering her husband on in his first game back only to slowly wince in terror as she watched him get tossed around by Aaron loving Donald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Roasted Donut posted:

AB did abandon an additional return TD in order to kick the Browns punter in the face

Given the entirety of his later career saga it’s understandable this moment often gets lost in the shuffle, but it’s too bad because for anyone else it’d easily be the funniest goddamn part of their time in the NFL

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But couldn’t come back from sucking at football

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Alex Smith had to learn how to run again

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Black Lighter posted:

This reminds me to block out my 2025 for arguing that Shady should be first-ballot

Shady should get in for being the first RB to teleport mid-game. It was nuts how he would just suddenly slip 5 feet to the side and accelerate while changing direction.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Ches Neckbeard posted:

And bringing a ton of attention to first aid trainings and giving out AEDs.

Now this is a good point

Public health, in my country? Mods remove this disgusting communist. You will stand before the Aaron Rodgers tribunal.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
https://x.com/justin_fenton/status/1756101240038043809?s=20

Interesting how they are presenting this Zay Flowers situation right now. Like they won't say for sure yet if he's even a suspect. Not sure what this might mean.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Man it would be cool if people didn't downplay Hamlin coming back from his heart literally stopping. Just because dude didn't make a documentary of his recovery doesn't mean he didn't go through some serious poo poo.

The vibes based award is causing all the bad vibes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Man it would be cool if people didn't downplay Hamlin coming back from his heart literally stopping. Just because dude didn't make a documentary of his recovery doesn't mean he didn't go through some serious poo poo.

The vibes based award is causing all the bad vibes.

This. Dude went down so hard they loving cancelled the game because of it. They cancelled an NFL game. Not rescheduled, just straight up cancelled. When's the last time that's happened?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mega64 posted:

The best part of the Alex Smith comeback year was his wife tearfully cheering her husband on in his first game back only to slowly wince in terror as she watched him get tossed around by Aaron loving Donald.

If by best part you mean oh my God why are you doing this, get off the field, then yeah.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mega64 posted:

This reminded me of Geno yelling “oh my god!!!” as Donald gets a free rush at him which was a really funny little moment this season

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T3AmTfY6ppQ

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If Adam Vinetari could throw the ball for poo poo he'd b a good QB but he couldn't so he should be ineligible for the hall qed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
saying "I don't think his play this year deserved an award" isn't downplaying his temporary lapse of life

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

indigi posted:

saying "I don't think his play this year deserved an award" isn't downplaying his temporary lapse of life

You’re right! But people have said that all he had to do was sit around and let medical professionals do all the hard work of not dying, and that certainly is.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Docjowles posted:

This reminded me of Geno yelling “oh my god!!!” as Donald gets a free rush at him which was a really funny little moment this season

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T3AmTfY6ppQ

I started cackling when this happened. An entirely justified reaction.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

if he hadn't been consigned to the northern wastes for some of the best years of his career he might be. even if you don't change his stats/playoff success, if he'd gone to Pittsburgh or Chicago instead of Buffalo I think he'd get in

Unrelated this just reminded me of one of the more direly called offensive games I've ever watched. I don't remember who the Bills were playing but the entire game seemed to be Shady up the middle, missed pass by Tyrod to a covered receiver, or pass to Shady for four or five yards to get blown the gently caress up by two linebackers waiting for him.

And hey, 5 yards would get you first downs if you did it every play, but on third down the defense knew the same thing was coming and just stepped in earlier. I don't think it was always like that for the whole season, but drat do I remember exactly how futile the offense was that game.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

kiimo posted:

Man I had a giant Super Bowl party of Chiefs fans in LA planned at my place and then loving got Covid again. Boosted three weeks ago, had covid three months ago.

Now I'm going to be watching alone.

Covid in the wastewater has surged throughout the continent since November, and the levels have exceeded same-day measurements from winter 2020-2021 and winter 2022-23. Hardly anyone masks and too many folks with mild illness don't stay home.

Increased concentration of covid in wastewater <=> increased number of infected people <=> increased number of replications of the virus <=> increased number of evolutions into different variants. The antibodies creates three months ago from that infection may have reduced effectiveness in protecting yourself from the variant du jour, ditto the booster shot.

For reference:

A screenshot showing an approximate breakdown of recorded cases by clade by region since October (a more divvied-up pie chart means more distinct variants of covid were successfully transmitting to a detectable degree)

A graph showing the US-specific trends the past six months

A zoomed-out global view of a subset of analyzed genomes (brighter lines were detected the past six months; the mostly dim green batch and blue batch? Omicron sub-variants and Delta sub-variants, respectively).

TL;DR: I'm sorry you're having numerous infections. The vaccine and previous infection should reduce the severity of your current bout, but ymmv. Masking up and avoiding indoor restaurant dining and the like from late fall to early spring is the only practical way to keep the risks of covid & long-covid acceptably low. Feel better soon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
These football charts are making less and less sense.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Mega64 posted:

lmao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mega64 posted:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mega64 posted:

I need Jon Bois to put some smooth jazzy music over it with the camera floating over the data points.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I'm going to assume that huge spike around Jan 2022 is somehow related to the Browns.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

pretty sure that Covid thing ended a few years ago not sure what all that data is about

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Skimming through those but I can't find where Geno Smith plots

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Febreeze posted:

Life threatening

Not just career threatening

Life threatening

Not to mention you were pointing out that it is a performance based award, which it usually is, but Smith won it despite a mediocre performance, because his injury was catastrophic. Hamlin was also coming back from an unprecedented injury of, you know, literally death

so with every single injury… would you have us breaking down who does and doesn’t deserve comeback player… based on the severity of the injury alone? What’s our cutoff for what is considered life threatening?

I understand the emotional overreaction to the dude - it’s scary he almost died and it’s awesome he’s back. But he literally barely qualifies as the second part of the award - the label “player”

Maybe time to create a new award. The come back from the light medal.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 10, 2024

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Mega64 posted:

lmao

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Not sure Damar is getting enough credit for overcoming the mental challenge of going back on the field to do something that literally killed him. Ah, medicine physically allowed him to play, but overcoming that mental challenge is a greater feat than even Alex Smith’s recovery. Not arguing his impact on the team though.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

so with every single injury… would you have us breaking down who does and doesn’t deserve comeback player… based on the severity of the injury alone? What’s our cutoff for what is considered life threatening?

I understand the emotional overreaction to the dude - it’s scary he almost died and it’s awesome he’s back. But he literally barely qualifies as the second part of the award - the label “player”

Michael loving Vick got Comeback after doing time for dog fighting. Just stop. There's no sanctity to fight over here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Vick deserved it more than Hamlin

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Michael loving Vick got Comeback after doing time for dog fighting. Just stop. There's no sanctity to fight over here.

… he led that team to a division title. After being written off completely. Lmao do some of y’all just not remember football or what.

They got it right then, got it right now. Yay voters.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

… he led that team to a division title. After being written off completely. Lmao do some of y’all just not remember football or what.

They got it right then, got it right now. Yay voters.

Why are you so obnoxiously determined to die on the hill that cardiac arrest is NBD and Hamlin being nominated was a sham? It's a a dumb vibes award.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Because it’s fun to argue about sports. Why else do we post here?

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
If I have a heart attack at work they're not going to give me an award for not dying and eventually coming back to work so I can make money.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Why are you so obnoxiously determined to die on the hill that cardiac arrest is NBD and Hamlin being nominated was a sham? It's a a dumb vibes award.

It’s a discussion board. To discuss things related to the nfl.

And where did I say either of those things, outta curiosity? Was it two posts ago when I said it’s completely understandable people made him the emotional vote? You’re making poo poo up out of nowhere for whatever reason.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 10, 2024

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Arguing against things being said in your head is so much easier than listening to what other people are actually saying. It’s practically the foundation of the internet’s success, and why Twitter was so much better when it was limited to 140 characters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

And where did I say either of those things, outta curiosity? Was it two posts ago when I said it’s completely understandable people made him the emotional vote? You’re making poo poo up out of nowhere for whatever reason.

I’m more upset your arguing Hamlin should be executed on the field for not coming back hard enough.

hosed up if you ask me

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

The pages of arguing about the dumb vibes award runs together. Being obnoxious doesn't help you stand out from the crowd either.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Steve smith had to share his with bruschi.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

JFC

https://calmatters.org/health/2024/01/california-covid-rule-isolation/

quote:

California ends COVID isolation rule for asymptomatic cases as winter infections climb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Amy Pole Her posted:

That was my whole point from the beginning, separate into comeback from injury like an inspiration award and a regular comeback award, like for Flacco or Geno who simply came back from being irrelevant or poo poo. The problem is comeback player is very poorly defined and we've had winners and nominees featuring the entire spectrum of comebacks now

You can see the divide in thinking in the ranked voting itself:
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1755798579573362749?t=bArebUu4kpUzIfcFmMeGCQ&s=19

Damar easily got the most first place votes, so even among voters his comeback counts despite not making an impact. Flacco won because he got everyone's second place vote. People who felt on field performance mattered either voted for Flacco or Baker and put Flacco or Baker second, people who voted for Damar probably put Flacco second and the math worked out in Flaccos favor.