Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Beffer posted:

I don’t follow it closely, but there has been quite a bit of debate about the judging approach to golden demons in the past few years.

They don’t judge on flaws, because as you say, anything with an obvious flaw wouldn’t get that far. But there has been criticism that the judges are overly concerned with technical perfection at the expense of concept and design. (For a while there was apparently a critique that you had to paint in the eavy metal style to win, but that was probably never true and certainly isn’t now.)

The slayer winner this year is a triumph of realising a unique concept by creating an illusion of a reflection in a pond. I would love to see it in person as I struggle to believe that the illusion holds all the way around the model. But people are saying it does.

The artist on his instagram said he took the time to make sure the reflection looked correct even from angles you don't normally look at so it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Beffer posted:

The slayer winner this year is a triumph of realising a unique concept by creating an illusion of a reflection in a pond. I would love to see it in person as I struggle to believe that the illusion holds all the way around the model. But people are saying it does.

Having seen it in person (albeit inside the case, so I couldn't see a 360º view) it looked "correct" from every angle I could view it at.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The winning work is amazing and deserved to win even if it looked correct from a golden angle. The creator making sure it looks right from other points of view just speaks to their dedication and work put into the piece.

As the guys on cult of paint said a good piece of art will have more depth and detail than you will be able to see at first viewing.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I saw a thread of criticism where people were complaining that the vampire armour suit was a scan and print. "Why couldn't he just use another copy of the model and scratch out the head and arms? This is cheating. etc".

People who apparently have never noticed that things are reversed in a reflection.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Lumpy posted:

Having seen it in person (albeit inside the case, so I couldn't see a 360º view) it looked "correct" from every angle I could view it at.

His Instagram has a video showing most of its angles.

It REALLY pops on the black background photos he took. He has a photo of it upside down that looks like it could have been submitted that way too.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ravus Ursus posted:

It REALLY pops on the black background photos he took. He has a photo of it upside down that looks like it could have been submitted that way too.

Yeah, on black it goes from amazing to AMAAAAAAZZZZZINNNGGGGG

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I lost an entire plastic Chaos fleet for BFG to a hot car interior one summer. Never again.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Ravus Ursus posted:

@alexdoesminis on insta, if anyone is curious!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Vampire Pond is possibly the coolest model/ dio I’ve ever seen. Absolutely deserves the win.

Glad to see Ninjon got something- he’s been really worming towards it

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
While technically, all these painters are so out of my league their playing another sport, (a fancy one where you need to own a horse), I personally find them most of them to busy, I cant really focus on what I'm looking at in the picture.

The pool 100% deserves to win though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Grey Hunter posted:

While technically, all these painters are so out of my league their playing another sport, (a fancy one where you need to own a horse), I personally find them most of them to busy, I cant really focus on what I'm looking at in the picture.

The pool 100% deserves to win though.

Well here's an easy example:

This one won based on (imo) the clarity of movement in the piece. The ice bridge is rougher in front and flows out into smooth lines at the back which intuitively gives you an idea of where the model is moving. The fur in the front is painted with diagonally downwards lines, to evoke the feeling of the elk pushing powerfully with its front legs and the fur further to the back is more horizontal, to indicate the movement of the body itself. The cloak too has highlight lines starting sharper to the front and diffusing out towards the back. It's also highlighted in warmer colours towards the front and ends up in a cold blue towards the back, kind of like a comet trail (the bright is where it's going, the darker is where it's leaving). Everything is done to indicate to you that Thranduil on his elk is charging forward.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

This one won based on (imo) the clarity of movement in the piece. The ice bridge is rougher in front and flows out into smooth lines at the back which intuitively gives you an idea of where the model is moving. The fur in the front is painted with diagonally downwards lines, to evoke the feeling of the elk pushing powerfully with its front legs and the fur further to the back is more horizontal, to indicate the movement of the body itself. The cloak too has highlight lines starting sharper to the front and diffusing out towards the back. It's also highlighted in warmer colours towards the front and ends up in a cold blue towards the back, kind of like a comet trail (the bright is where it's going, the darker is where it's leaving). Everything is done to indicate to you that Thranduil on his elk is charging forward.

I appreciate this breakdown, and comparing it to the model, I buy it completely.

But haha it also tells me that I am basically doing paint by numbers in comparison, both in terms of painting a model and how I look at painted models

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

Knowing Marco he probably finished that in an afternoon

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hey guys! Do you want a tip for faster painting? No sleeping is my number one trick to do my projects faster and with much style.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Going a day without sleep sure drives me crazy, and that's what it takes to produce some real art right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lostconfused posted:

Going a day without sleep sure drives me crazy, and that's what it takes to produce some real art right?
I believe you also need to buy more paints.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
a touch of mental illness always helps creative work as well

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Crossposting from the kitbash thread:

Possibly I should do the lining of the cape a different colour? Maybe just black. The white at the back could so with more work, I hit the zenithal base with Dreadful Visage contrast which I think knocked it back too far, thinning it with medium would probably have been best. As it is I've been building back a lot of the lightness with Pro Acyrl white glazes. Looks better in the photo though.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Nessus posted:

I believe you also need to buy more paints.

Marco will just plop down about 8 basic colors onto his pallet and mix that poo poo together to get what he wants.

But he also will work with oil filters and stuff like that as well.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

hey guysss here's handy tips on how to create a fast workflow for your golden demon winner

But seriously what I love about Marco is how much saturated colours he uses. Nothing wrong with desaturated colours but I like how he uses them and creates wonderful visual interest, especially since LOTR seems to often favour more muted schemes and tones.

I will say the one bit of golden demon controversy I have seen is that the single model 40k winner apparently used AI art for the background of the base. I assume it wasn't judged with that background but I guess since it was photographed with the background it rubs some people the wrong way.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Feels extremely weird to allow printed backdrops in a painting competition. AI or not.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have much experience with desert bases? I'm making some arrakis bases for some dune miniatures and am planning on using the ak terrains sandy desert and using a sculpting tool to make gentle sand waves.

I did think about incorporating other elements into the bases, stones? But I'm not sure how to go about it. I've been using references of the Sahara and parts of back home (Somalia) as reference but I'm not sure how well it would translate into 28mm.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arrakis also had its share of black stone which would also be a logical place where poo poo happened, since running around in the desert seems like it calls Shai-Hulud, who can be portrayed by slapping a flexible heating duct on the table.

So that could add visual diversity, even if maybe not to each individual base.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Flipswitch posted:

planning on using the ak terrains sandy desert and using a sculpting tool to make gentle sand waves.

yep, pretty much nailed it. That stuff rules. remember you can also shade it with washes, and highlight it too!

Once you've done your basing I'd also highly recommend using a pigment powder on your figures feet to marry it to the base even more.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeast posted:

yep, pretty much nailed it. That stuff rules. remember you can also shade it with washes, and highlight it too!

Once you've done your basing I'd also highly recommend using a pigment powder on your figures feet to marry it to the base even more.
Yeah i'm planning to paint over it and really use some orange and purples on it rather than the stock colour. So i'll use it and prime it.

Nessus posted:

Arrakis also had its share of black stone which would also be a logical place where poo poo happened, since running around in the desert seems like it calls Shai-Hulud, who can be portrayed by slapping a flexible heating duct on the table.

So that could add visual diversity, even if maybe not to each individual base.
I'll give that a try, thanks :)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well, I wanted this guy to be done, but I see from these pics I need to do another round on the flamer tube and revisit the base- I can’t seem to find a muddy brown method I’m happy with.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Professor Shark posted:

Well, I wanted this guy to be done, but I see from these pics I need to do another round on the flamer tube and revisit the base- I can’t seem to find a muddy brown method I’m happy with.

Hey, it's still a great job on one of my favorite Ork models ever! The newer scheme works just as well on him as it does the current Orks, which speaks to just how well they nailed the aesthetic back then, I think.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I love that guy.

One of the challenges I find with mud is that it's very much not a uniform brown. It's got definite pools of darker and lighter mud, both where the dirt has been mixed in different ways (and with different liquids) and where it's dried differently. So consider trying some black and brown washes in various places as well as limited drybrushes of lighter brown. Possibly a reddish wash followed by a brown wash to tone down the red.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Y'all probably know this already but I just found them - There are a ton of textured panels on thingiverse and printables that you can use for testing paint on your brush when drybrushing.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

Virtual Russian posted:

Art contests involving high levels of skill aren't judged on flaws. Flaws will count against you extremely heavily, to the point of essentially being disqualifing. It is far more likely they are judging concept and execution. Basically, what was the artist's original concept, and how do all the elements of design and painting support that concept.

I submit art to contests periodically (and have judged too), if I send something with flaws I know I won't win. It isn't even enough to send a good piece without flaws. To win, I must send something where all the elements of design are working in unison to support my concept.

Cease to Hope posted:

i don't know how they score but all three of those strike me as better compositions than what they're compared to. on the same level technically but clearer lines of movement and focus

Thanks, this really helps. Taking another look I think I see what you mean. Taking the silver and bronze from the Aos Large Miniature for examples, here's what I see now and people can tell me if I'm totally missing the mark:

Overall impression of the scenes is that the bone reaper is standing guard at a pass, and the flesh eater is rallying troops for a charge or delivering a Shakespearean monologue.

Both models are elevated relatively high off of the base. The bone reaper is off-center with the stairs circling up to them in the upper-right which creates a nice impression, while the flesh eater is centered which has a neutral effect.

The shield resting on the rock, the chipping on the shield, and the destroyed banister give an eternal guardian vibe. These details, the spread body language of the mini, its sight line, and the stairs/framing all complement and reinforce each other.

The flesh eater's pose calls to mind fantasy movies where the general strikes a dramatic pose before leading the charge. But they're standing on the ruins of a building, on a rocky outcrop, which is a bit at odds with the story of the pose because that doesn't meld with where most armies would do battle. Centering the mini also gives it a more static impression as if it were urging the troops forward, but if that were the case the sight line wouldn't match because then it should be looking forward. The raised arm and sword are telling one story and implying motion while the rest of the composition creates a more static impression instead of accentuating the impression of motion (or imminent motion). I could be reading too much into this arm and head pose as saying "let's charge", but the only other reference I have for that body language is dramatic theater productions.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Behold, a ham

Definitely see a bunch of things I could improve, but this is a clear step up from anything I've painted before so for that I'm quite happy with it.

Bark! A Vagrant fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 29, 2024

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Just found the one I did for Orktober. Just a good fun time

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Looks great to me, I don't know if orks would worry about perfectly painted hazard stripes but I could see why it'd bother you. The details on the horns :discourse:

Bark! A Vagrant fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 29, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

All orks are beautiful.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

armorer posted:

Y'all probably know this already but I just found them - There are a ton of textured panels on thingiverse and printables that you can use for testing paint on your brush when drybrushing.

While better than nothing, you really want the material to be wood, because the idea is to let you balance moisture and paint load in the drybrush. If you use tissue/kitchen paper you take out all the moisture and your drybrushed paint will go on too dry resulting in chalky finish. If you use plastic you just take out paint but leave moisture in the brush. Textured wood will let you take out water until it feels right, and then add paint and take that off until you're depositing the right amount.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

While better than nothing, you really want the material to be wood, because the idea is to let you balance moisture and paint load in the drybrush. If you use tissue/kitchen paper you take out all the moisture and your drybrushed paint will go on too dry resulting in chalky finish. If you use plastic you just take out paint but leave moisture in the brush. Textured wood will let you take out water until it feels right, and then add paint and take that off until you're depositing the right amount.

Ah, good to know. Given my general lack of skill I think I can still improve by using these ~$0.20 bits of plastic. Previously I just used some scrap cardboard. It sounds like using both might get me closer though since the cardboard will still soak up a bit of moisture.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

/me looks at all the scrap wood in my shop

Guys, I'm starting a bespoke texture palette business.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Looks great to me, I don't know if orks would worry about perfectly painted hazard stripes but I could see why it'd bother you. The details on the horns :discourse:

Thanks everyone! The horns have been something I’ve been thinking about for a while- the local steakhouse has a pair on the wall that I’ve been looking at for years and have really wanted to replicate in my painting :clint:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Thanks, this really helps. Taking another look I think I see what you mean. Taking the silver and bronze from the Aos Large Miniature for examples, here's what I see now and people can tell me if I'm totally missing the mark:

Overall impression of the scenes is that the bone reaper is standing guard at a pass, and the flesh eater is rallying troops for a charge or delivering a Shakespearean monologue.

Both models are elevated relatively high off of the base. The bone reaper is off-center with the stairs circling up to them in the upper-right which creates a nice impression, while the flesh eater is centered which has a neutral effect.

The shield resting on the rock, the chipping on the shield, and the destroyed banister give an eternal guardian vibe. These details, the spread body language of the mini, its sight line, and the stairs/framing all complement and reinforce each other.

The flesh eater's pose calls to mind fantasy movies where the general strikes a dramatic pose before leading the charge. But they're standing on the ruins of a building, on a rocky outcrop, which is a bit at odds with the story of the pose because that doesn't meld with where most armies would do battle. Centering the mini also gives it a more static impression as if it were urging the troops forward, but if that were the case the sight line wouldn't match because then it should be looking forward. The raised arm and sword are telling one story and implying motion while the rest of the composition creates a more static impression instead of accentuating the impression of motion (or imminent motion). I could be reading too much into this arm and head pose as saying "let's charge", but the only other reference I have for that body language is dramatic theater productions.

Not an art student here so I can't be as clinical in my analysis but I agree with most of yours. One thing is that the setting of the flesh eater's diorama is fine, standing on top of a ruined building to give a little bit more height to rally your weird vampire beasts to battle is perfectly in setting. You're right that it's too "centered", when you look at it you just see the flesh eater as is, mid action in a scene. The bone reaper's base makes you want your eyes to walk around and up the stairs to arrive at the bone reaper itself which gives the piece more movement than the flesh eater.

Also another thing to note, the bone reaper is cold and saturated while the base is warm and desaturated. It's this cold metal thing standing in the middle of a hot desert. The flesh eater is roughly the same as the rest of the scene, so it's more like a still from an action scene than a painted piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Eej posted:

Not an art student here so I can't be as clinical in my analysis but I agree with most of yours. One thing is that the setting of the flesh eater's diorama is fine, standing on top of a ruined building to give a little bit more height to rally your weird vampire beasts to battle is perfectly in setting. You're right that it's too "centered", when you look at it you just see the flesh eater as is, mid action in a scene. The bone reaper's base makes you want your eyes to walk around and up the stairs to arrive at the bone reaper itself which gives the piece more movement than the flesh eater.

Also another thing to note, the bone reaper is cold and saturated while the base is warm and desaturated. It's this cold metal thing standing in the middle of a hot desert. The flesh eater is roughly the same as the rest of the scene, so it's more like a still from an action scene than a painted piece.

I also think the Vengarian Lord's pose is not all that great. The motion it seems to convey is kind of confusing. I think this is more of a sculpting issue than a painting issue. But it seems like the big flying creature has just landed and is now turning back and looking high up. It doesn't really make a lot of sense for a "Rallying the troops" pose as he is probably looking above his troops, unless he flew downhill a significant amount, but that doesn't seem to make much sense. I mean we might also surmise that if he was stopping to give encouragement he would have just landed facing the right way.

The composition may have been better if it accentuated the odd curves/torso twist. Perhaps one thing they could have done would be to place the figure slightly off center from the base and slightly off kilter or on less that stable footing, and adjusted the sword to either make it a little more defensive or a little more threatening, like this bad guy was just flying along and all the sudden now the Stormcast dragon dudes are trying to ruin his weekend, so he stopped abruptly to square off with them.

All that said, it is significantly better than anything I could do, so there is that.