Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Speaking of WW2 stuff, does anyone have any advice for painting (semi-realistic) cockpit canopies? I have a bunch of small 1/200 hurricanes and such which I've just painted the canopies of black-grey cause I'm not sure how to approach them in a way that doesn't look overly exaggerated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Disproportionation posted:

Speaking of WW2 stuff, does anyone have any advice for painting (semi-realistic) cockpit canopies? I have a bunch of small 1/200 hurricanes and such which I've just painted the canopies of black-grey cause I'm not sure how to approach them in a way that doesn't look overly exaggerated.

I dunno, but as soon as I print off some tiny WW2 planes I'll experiment and let you know what I come up with. Also, at tiny scales overexaggerated actually looks really good. See also most of Nebalebadingdong's tiny 6mm trucks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Just primed my completed Sororitas. Good: the Krylon paint worked like a dream, even if the sunlight meant I had to go get a sprue to convince myself, yes, they did get primed. Didn't take too much fiddling either despite all the crevasses.

Bad: I realized I didn't pin drill their gun barrels, I'm a fraud!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
You can just do it now nobody will tell on you

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I'm a fan of sky reflections. Which is mostly just a blue gradiant that fades towards white-ish towards the bottom. You can splotch in some clouds, do some lighting streaks, or if it's a formation-based game paint a distant wingman in.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ominous Jazz posted:

You can just do it now nobody will tell on you

I will.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The agony! The shame! And I guess that's true. I suppose the inside of the barrels wouldn't be primed, but I can either give them one more hit or just not give a poo poo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nessus posted:

Now I'm wondering if there's a WW2 naval miniatures game.

In addition to Victory at Sea (And Cruel Seas for PT boat action), Mike Hutchinson - the Gaslands Guy - has been talking about working on a WW2 naval game. Except it doesn't use minis but instead poker chips at the moment (Partly because minis don't work at the scale he intends and he likes the idea of players scowling at each other as they push poker chips onto the table)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Nessus posted:

The agony! The shame! And I guess that's true. I suppose the inside of the barrels wouldn't be primed, but I can either give them one more hit or just not give a poo poo

They will be in shadow all the time, so "not give a poo poo" is the option I'd pick.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Box in your closet

I endorse this. I have a set of hand made traditional oils that probably have a value around $3k and I keep them in a very large tupperware in a closet.

Do not worry, I did not pay nearly that much for them. I got an insane deal on them when a friend was moving his art store. I've got like ~500ml of genuine ultramarine, 50ml of mercury red, almost a litre of various cadmium pigments.... They are gorgeous and I live in total fear of wasting them.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
And lest you think it's all old fogeys playing chart simulators from the 80s, most of the naval wargamers I know (including myself) are currently enamored with Nimitz (2023) by Sam Mustafa. Fantastic modern rules in a nice full color rulebook with good examples and diagrams and explanations for why certain rules are designed as such. It's the reason I bought an STL pack of ships over the holidays. Got plans to print and paint some up in 1:2400.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Picked up a 3d printed Rincewind from etsy just for fun. I'm a big Discworld fan so this was a really cool find.

*edit: fixed the image link

Psyber Spine fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 2, 2024

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Psyber Spine posted:

Picked up a 3d printed Rincewind from etsy just for fun. I'm a big Discworld fan so this was a really cool find.

*edit: do imgur links not work anymore?

You linked the post instead of the image.

Edit to add: And Rincewind looks pretty cool, good job!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Love Rincewind, except it makes me sad to think Terry Pratchett is dead. (I know its been years)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Nobody's going to notice detail that small. Just paint 'em black, do the canopy supports, then gloss coat the glass part.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
That is an excellent Rincewind and The Luggage.

Beffer posted:

Love Rincewind, except it makes me sad to think Terry Pratchett is dead. (I know its been years)

GNU Terry Pratchett

I am very out of practice. Rough going. These two took me most of the afternoon.

I assure you, they look worse in person.

Post Script: Oh, yeah. Mold lines.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Man, if any mini had an excuse for wide eyes it’s this poor stapled head dude

(The blue is a kitchen knife handle)

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 2, 2024

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

[quote="Psyber Spine" post="538103259"]

I meant to ask some advice on how to give my miniatures a bit more 'oomph'. This is a fairly typical example of my colouring in and I feel like they're lacking some final step to make them pop a bit more.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

More contrast for more oomph, basically. Push it deeper and/or lighter in smaller and smaller surfaces until you're happy with the oomphness.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Also, many people push highlights as a way of adding contrast, to the point where the mini looks washed out. Contrast also requires deep shadows so don't be afraid to move in both directions to get a good result.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Furism posted:

More contrast for more oomph, basically. Push it deeper and/or lighter in smaller and smaller surfaces until you're happy with the oomphness.

Agreed. Something that helps me is to take my picture and make it black & white. My eyes often confuse saturation difference as value difference, so going to black & white shows me that my whole value range, which I thought was wide, is all in the 40-60% zone.

Also remember that contrast comes in many forms: hue, saturation, value, texture, etc. MOAR CONTRAST!!!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I imagine Vince's video on contrast might be helpful here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeEuPGYIVM8

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I also am guilty of not pushing enough contrast in all my art, not just my terrible mini painting that I don't post here.

Also woah new thread! I guess I'll give up on the old thread where I am 5000 posts behind or something like that.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Just give it a couple weeks and you can be behind by 5k posts in this one too!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Did a little painting;

Dawn Serpent (Malifaux 3e). Pleased with how he turned out, the base ended up pretty nice, and the figure was fun albeit fairly simple. I printed the shrine rock base thing about a year ago with no clear idea where I'd end up using it, and it finally came in handy to make it look like the lil dragon could fly.

A couple of Draugr (Malifaux 3e). Yeah, I'd only heard the word in Skyrim too, but apparently they are an actual myth from scandinavian sagas.

And a cyberpunk riot cop (3d printed, Unit9 on MMF), test figure for a little squad of them. Got some proacryl white and paynes grey, thought it would be a good place for them, but the paynes grey (the cloth parts) is a little too close to the black when its dried. Dont hate it, just was hoping for a little less monochrome. Will probably still do the rest of them to match though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What kind of PSI are you guys using for your airbrush when you're trying to apply glazes with it? Any time I get stuff down to a super thin consistency it seems like I'm always wrestling with it either coming out way too wet or drying too fast, and I'm having a hell of a time getting it just right. Using a Badger Patriot with a single-tank compressor if that matters.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Taking a break from boats to do some wee rats. Considering how many of them and their associates I need to paint, they aren't getting much more detailing than that. Basing is not going well. I think I'm going to have to flood the space between the ranks and the edges with PVA and dip it in sand.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Slyphic posted:

Taking a break from boats to do some wee rats. Considering how many of them and their associates I need to paint, they aren't getting much more detailing than that. Basing is not going well. I think I'm going to have to flood the space between the ranks and the edges with PVA and dip it in sand.

Oh poo poo whattup fellow Cromarty Forge painter. Here's how my Rats turned out

I used the LukeAPS base ready poo poo, but given the scale I sifted all the larger rocks out before applying. Seems to hide the integrated base pretty well.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Nice rats. Yeah, I usually make my own base mixes, but I'm out of a few materials I want, and I don't want to just use a mix I've designated for a different set of minis.
Also I didn't realize the model had wispy whisker beards until I went back to do the teeth; I thought they just had cartoonish jowls.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

anyone got a tutorial for "gargoyle skin"? Wanting to paint some and I'm a bit of a loss what color to go for

Think more Gargoyles Cartoon and less Weeping Angels

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Maybe like a dark blue base coat with stoney gray layers? I tried that with my stone giant frameworks mini before I got good enough to make it work.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Flicking darker specks of rock with a brush helped sell the rock

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Painted some little guys

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What kind of PSI are you guys using for your airbrush when you're trying to apply glazes with it? Any time I get stuff down to a super thin consistency it seems like I'm always wrestling with it either coming out way too wet or drying too fast, and I'm having a hell of a time getting it just right. Using a Badger Patriot with a single-tank compressor if that matters.

What do you mean by drying too fast? Are you getting dry tip?
If it's just dry tip, add a little bit of flow improver to your glaze.

Generally as the paint gets thinner you want to lower our pressure and reduce your distance from the painting surface. Your goal is for the paint to dry as soon as it touches the surface or you'll get pooling and spider webbing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Think more Gargoyles Cartoon and less Weeping Angels

Those cartoons are painted with acrylics, so you can apply a lot of the design techniques directly. Solid blocks of even color, shapes defined by solid exaggerated under-shadows, lines/seams/parts separated by hard black lines. (Heavy pinwashing can help but maybe you just want to apply opaque acrylic black.)

The main problem is that to pull off that design, you need clean fields of color with only a few defining detailed parts. Most minis aren't designed like that. So you'll need to think about what minis you use, or else how you want to alter/kitbash them to make them benefit from those techniques.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Those cartoons are painted with acrylics, so you can apply a lot of the design techniques directly. Solid blocks of even color, shapes defined by solid exaggerated under-shadows, lines/seams/parts separated by hard black lines. (Heavy pinwashing can help but maybe you just want to apply opaque acrylic black.)

The main problem is that to pull off that design, you need clean fields of color with only a few defining detailed parts. Most minis aren't designed like that. So you'll need to think about what minis you use, or else how you want to alter/kitbash them to make them benefit from those techniques.

I wonder if there's a happy medium I can go for hrm

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Depends on the minis and what you want to or can do with them!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Those rats are adorable, I love their little noses and beards!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

rain dogs posted:

Painted some little guys

Love me some grots, simple as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Bucnasti posted:

What do you mean by drying too fast? Are you getting dry tip?
If it's just dry tip, add a little bit of flow improver to your glaze.

Generally as the paint gets thinner you want to lower our pressure and reduce your distance from the painting surface. Your goal is for the paint to dry as soon as it touches the surface or you'll get pooling and spider webbing.

Yeah, I think it's dry tip. My other issue is that I'm trying to glaze a small part of the mini, and I want it to blend in with the tones around it, so I can't tape it off or get too far away or I end up covering more area than I want to. Ideally I want to be able to get pretty close to keep it tight without it pooling, but maybe that's just not possible with it thinned down to a glaze?