Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Why would the Rangers need to sign somebody like Montgomery when they have uh... oh

https://x.com/JonHeyman/status/1772678404808061100?s=20

Hey they won the WS with deGrom broken and this year he'll be hea-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

zoux posted:

Oh? The Bears have a farm team?

Are there other cities that have some kind of theme about their sports teams across leagues or just the Windy Apple?

Pittsburgh teams share the same color theme.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Bruins ought to be forced to give their name to the Blackhawks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Popete posted:

Grizzlies as well

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

The Blackhawks don't need to change their name, they just need to change their logo and mascot. Just make the mascot a literal black hawk, problem solved.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
hello from the cardinals current #1

quote:

“I had what, a 4.70 ERA last year?” Mikolas said. “Which is funny because that’s just north of a 4.50. And a 4.50 is a quality start every single time. If you had a guy and you said, ‘Hey, this guy is going to make 30 starts and have a 4.50 ERA,’ a lot of people, especially on Twitter, would say that guy stinks. But if I told you that guy was going to (throw) six innings every time out and give up three runs? That’s giving your team a chance to win a lot of ball games.”

the dodgers are going to score 10 tomorrow

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Blackhawks don't need to change their name, they just need to change their logo and mascot. Just make the mascot a literal black hawk, problem solved.

I wish they would do it already.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Is this what they call midwest farmer hard ball?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mike_V posted:

I liked his quote that was like "I would tell the haters to eat poo poo, cause then if I'm good it will be very satisfying. But if I'm not good it will suck so I won't do that"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Let me check my notes here... Mikolas last year shut down the Royals, Red Sox, White Sox, and Nationals, and got lit up like a movie marquee by the Braves, Astros, Phillies, Blue Jays, and Cubs. His ERA against bad teams was 3.93. His ERA against good teams was 5.30.

This is my shocked face. Who could ever have imagined that a bad pitcher would pitch OK against bad teams and badly against good teams.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

Are there other cities that have some kind of theme about their sports teams across leagues or just the Windy Apple?
If the Texans went with the superior choice of name the Apollos we could have had Astros, Rockets, and Apollos.

e: what's funny though is the Rockets were not even originally from here even though people usually forget that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

If the Texans went with the superior choice of name the Apollos we could have had Astros, Rockets, and Apollos.

e: what's funny though is the Rockets were not even originally from here even though people usually forget that

What, and give up the stupidest name in professional sports history

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

The Houston Astros. Named after a loving cartoon dog.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They were actually named after a gun, but then woke -_-

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mcmagic posted:

I really hardly ever consider that

Mods?!?!?!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

What do the Minnesota Wild have to do with any of this

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

What do Dorking Wanderers have to do with any of this

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/dm_rubenstein/status/1773024756008095878?s=46

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

You wild'n out if you think that's a worse name than the Houston Texans. Which is the dumbest loving name of any sports team in collective human history.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

IcePhoenix posted:

What do the Washington Wizards have to do with any of this

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

watch out, the O's just came into money

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39820434/david-rubenstein-unanimously-approved-new-orioles-owner

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dameius posted:

You wild'n out if you think that's a worse name than the Houston Texans. Which is the dumbest loving name of any sports team in collective human history.

Yes but you see I only have a rooting interest in one of those teams so therefore that one is worse.

Anyway, lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twins Couture

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JimBowdenGM/status/1773000924677468409

Truly shocked that he didn't want to take this to go back to a team that traded him and than shat on him after they traded him.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes but you see I only have a rooting interest in one of those teams so therefore that one is worse.

Anyway, lol

These own

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

Truly shocked that he didn't want to take this to go back to a team that traded him and than shat on him after they traded him.

This makes sense though, I mean look how poor the Yankees are:

https://twitter.com/kbadenhausen/status/1772583844060741937

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

15-20 years worth of deferrals for a guy that ended up on a 1+1 deal is insane

Sydin posted:

This makes sense though, I mean look how poor the Yankees are:

https://twitter.com/kbadenhausen/status/1772583844060741937
This is a good time to remember that in the spring of 2012 Mark Walter and co paid $2.15B for the Dodgers, considered a somewhat shocking price at the time. Nearly 3x return in a dozen years is exactly why every one of these teams should be running "in the red" year to year.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 27, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9swgCHFON4

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

IcePhoenix posted:

You can't convince me that's any worse than Sporting KC

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Explosionface posted:

You can't convince me that's any worse than Sporting KC

Real Salt Lake

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is this good for the Orioles? I legit have no idea if this changes anything or if there's just a different rich guy who owns the team now.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

This is a good time to remember that in the spring of 2012 Mark Walter and co paid $2.15B for the Dodgers, considered a somewhat shocking price at the time. Nearly 3x return in a dozen years is exactly why every one of these teams should be running "in the red" year to year.

To add to that, Astros sold for $615m. ~5.2x return in ~13 years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Yankees traded for IF Jon Berti of the Marlins to (I assume) fill in for DJ LeMahieu while he's out

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

explosivo posted:

Is this good for the Orioles? I legit have no idea if this changes anything or if there's just a different rich guy who owns the team now.

at worst, he can't be worse than Angelos.

At best, :homebrew:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

AndrewP posted:

at worst, he can't be worse than Angelos.

Believe it or not, yes, he can.

Just ask an A's or Marlins or Pirates fan, if you can find one.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Giants organization continues to troll their own fans better than anyone

https://twitter.com/AlexSimonSports/status/1773035248609058965

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/story/2024-03-26/minor-league-baseball-indicted-jack-box-del-taco-insider-trading

Minor leaguers charged with insider trading Del Taco and Jack In the Box stocks is not a phrase I ever expected

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bregor posted:

What do the Washington Wizards have to do with any of this

They were actually named after the thing that comes out of a gun, but then woke -_-

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

Real Salt Lake

Orlando City Soccer Club makes me so mad. That isn't the name of your town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Believe it or not, yes, he can.

Just ask an A's or Marlins or Pirates fan, if you can find one.

I mean yeah, things can always get worse I suppose, but the way I see it Rubenstein is 74, already made his billions, is from Baltimore and very likely won't be trying to extort the city for a new stadium. I don't know the guy's motives of course but I can't believe the guy is doing this just to cheap out and become hated in his hometown