Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This is a bit of a tangent, but speaking of Chernobyl, I remember Russia was real mad when that came out and they said they were gonna make their own version of the show, with blackjack and hookers, and, presumably, not full of western lies like the HBO version. Did that ever happen, or did Putin get.... distracted with other Ukrainian related activities?

Edit: Truly a shameful snipe. I shall end my blood line immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but speaking of Chernobyl, I remember Russia was real mad when that came out and they said they were gonna make their own version of the show, with blackjack and hookers, and, presumably, not full of western lies like the HBO version. Did that ever happen, or did Putin get.... distracted with other Ukrainian related activities?

Edit: Truly a shameful snipe. I shall end my blood line immediately.

The special military operation was so they could film on location.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ninurta posted:

The special military operation was so they could film on location.

By film you mean dig trenches.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Ep 6 is now live.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Ep 6 is now live.

Me at the end of Ep 6:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Good ep. With the way this and the previous two cliffhangered, and the way things are likely to continue next time, I do wonder if people will start getting antsy to get to the fireworks factory.

Of course it will get to the fireworks factory, and how :unsmigghh:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

feedmegin posted:

Actually the Dutch likely had the edge. Check out the initial Anglo-Dutch war and that's half a century later. Though its not like the basic physical differences vary much, its not like they have radar and CIWS.

Tall guys in the crow's nest doesn't count.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Good God that was a hell of an episode, and it kept going and everything kept being amazing. The Willow World sequence was incredible, and I can't believe how amazing a presence Lady Ochiba is despite this being her first full episode.

"I compelled Fate to look my way, and I scratched it's eyes out." :stonklol:

Edit: Also the quiet seething over, and passive aggressive demonstrations of, the correct way to place a cup on the floor during the negotiations was cracking me up. Mariko wanted to beat the poo poo out of that lady so badly :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 26, 2024

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Also the quiet seething over, and passive aggressive demonstrations of, the correct way to place a cup on the floor during the negotiations was cracking me up. Mariko wanted to beat the poo poo out of that lady so badly :allears:

The way Mariko waited until the haggling got annoying to drop the "Oh by the way, this is for Anjin" bomb.

Also, there was a moment there in the Willow World in which I thought, "Is this Toranaga's idea of couples therapy?"

Listen to this with good headphones or sound system, because when they walk in, I could swear the ambient noises got cranked up, mimicking that heightened sense one gets in an awkward situation.

Anyway, another great episode, but unfortunately I have to give it a 5/10 due to lack of anal beads and cock ring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

The way Mariko waited until the haggling got annoying to drop the "Oh by the way, this is for Anjin" bomb.

And the way she IMMEDIATELY noted that Anjin is both of a highly respected rank and that this rank was bestowed on him by Toranaga, putting the madame (I don't know what the correct term would be here) immediately in a position where she can't betray the slightest distaste or objection to her top courtesan having to serve a "barbarian" or risk being seen to insult Toranaga by proxy :kiss:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The negotiation scene is also very fun in the book so I'm glad it made it in. However, I haven't gone back to the book to check for sure, but I think they reduced the amount mariko haggles the price down significantly, so I'm considering becoming a Mad About Changes Guy

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm kind of impressed that they're doing the subplot that in the book is 85% weird sex euphemisms and Clavell's hangups and fetishes about Asian women at all... and somehow making it work.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Alright I had a minute to go back and check. In the book mariko negotiates kiku's price down from 5 koban to 1, like a boss. In the show she negotiates it down from 500 moneys to 300 (sad).

There can be only one conclusion: big red text woke showrunners!?!?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, Japan is just lousy with bandits, huh? :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ishido is the only man who can stop the bandits from causing so much damage in Osaka, the city that Ishido is in charge of!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There's a prominent element in this episode I honestly don't remember from the book at all but it's a bit harder to easily check. Anyone who's read it more recently know if it's new? That mariko and ochiba kinda grew up together and were friends

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

There's a prominent element in this episode I honestly don't remember from the book at all but it's a bit harder to easily check. Anyone who's read it more recently know if it's new? That mariko and ochiba kinda grew up together and were friends

invention of the show, probably to avoid having to explain all about ochiba and genjiko and the taiko's plan to make toranaga his heir and all of that?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alright I had a minute to go back and check. In the book mariko negotiates kiku's price down from 5 koban to 1, like a boss. In the show she negotiates it down from 500 moneys to 300 (sad).

There can be only one conclusion: big red text woke showrunners!?!?

Cultural update. The koban wasn't a standard currency until after the events of the show. Tokugawa Iyesu was the one that pushed the adoption of it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Made up for the show but from a timing perspective it kind of makes sense. The two people they are based on were somewhat close in age, and both were daughters (adopted, in the case of the real life version of Ochiba) of retainers of Nobunaga. The real life Ochiba (Yodogimi or Lady Chacha) was actually Nobunaga's niece.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thanks. Yeah I can see various narrative logic reasons behind it, though I guess it kind of comes at the cost of losing a bit of feeling of largeness of the world when everyone knows everyone to such an extent. But it'll probably pay off that cost, especially in the climax

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
I’m glad “so sorry…” made to into the negations. One prominent memory I had from the book was all the women characters beginning every statement with “so sorry…”

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ochiba has entered my top ten anime villain list.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
She rules and the person her character is based on was a fascinating individual

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I guess the Taiko wasn't Taiko for as long as I thought? I figured that Mariko's dad assassinated not-Nobunaga when she was a child, but her and Ochiba were grown-rear end adults when that happened, meaning he could have only been on the throne for, like, a decade before dying of old age.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mordja posted:

So I guess the Taiko wasn't Taiko for as long as I thought? I figured that Mariko's dad assassinated not-Nobunaga when she was a child, but her and Ochiba were grown-rear end adults when that happened, meaning he could have only been on the throne for, like, a decade before dying of old age.

Not sure if it's ever really addressed in the show, but the real life Taiko (Hideyoshi) avenged his lords murder in 1582, consolidated power and unified Japan by 1592, and died in 1598 in his 60s. So a fairly long time for one man to be the leading figure of the nation (~15 years), but not long enough to really establish a dynasty or family control. Hence the events of the TV show.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 27, 2024

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

This thread is lacking Fuji gifs.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

glassyalabolas posted:

This thread is lacking Fuji gifs.

Fuji: :clint: I'm your huckleberry :clint:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Broadlybrowsing posted:

I’m glad “so sorry…” made to into the negations. One prominent memory I had from the book was all the women characters beginning every statement with “so sorry…”

Severe lack of "neh?" every other sentence too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Severe lack of "neh?" every other sentence too.

That's because it's something teenage girls in Tokyo used to say. If they kept that in it'd be like doing a historical drama about Abraham Lincoln and the civil war but they made them all talk like California valley girls. It was one of the stupidest things in the book.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That's because it's something teenage girls in Tokyo used to say. If they kept that in it'd be like doing a historical drama about Abraham Lincoln and the civil war but they made them all talk like California valley girls. It was one of the stupidest things in the book.

With, like, malice toward none and totally with charity for all. And I guess with firmness in the right, as, you know, God gives us to see the right and, like, let us strive on to finish the work that I just think we are in to bind up the nation's wounds, and to care for him who shall have borne all that battle stuff and for his widow and his orphan, I guess. To do, you know, all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations...neh?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Love that the whole town showed up to greet Blackthorne after his long night.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Nybble posted:

Love that the whole town showed up to greet Blackthorne after his long night.

"There you will find no prying eyes from the outside world..."

Until we send you off in the morning

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mantle posted:

"There you will find no prying eyes from the outside world..."

Until we send you off in the morning

Oh and the dude that was briefly in charge of the cannons, we are going to give the Anjin your cannojs and then your woman...

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Of course it's part of the novel, but seeing how toranaga keeps everyone else off balance by favoring blackthorne is so perfectly crystalized by the visuals of omi's pissy face

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
is the suffix 'no kata' a title of some sort for Japanese women? Both Kiri and Ochiba are referred to as Kiri no kata and Ochiba no kata. Googling doesn't seem to help. I am guessing it is a title for married women?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

MikeC posted:

is the suffix 'no kata' a title of some sort for Japanese women? Both Kiri and Ochiba are referred to as Kiri no kata and Ochiba no kata. Googling doesn't seem to help. I am guessing it is a title for married women?

It's an honorific. "Kata" essentially just means "person" but it's more respectful. I dunno how to describe it adequately in English. It's sort of like saying "ma'am" but more respectfully? Often it was specifically for people who were not within your social group but still of high status. At least that's how I hear it used nowadays.

I could also be totally off base because while I speak enough Japanese to get around and talk to my relatives, I definitely don't get all the nuance.

E: actually maybe the best way to think about it is it's like saying "Lady XYZ" in English, in the way people referred to nobility or relatively high status folks

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 27, 2024

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

That was a great episode. I loved the whole sequence between Blackthorne, Mariko and the Courtesan. Incidentally, as someone who tries to be very deliberate in their choice of words to convey proper meaning, something that really bugs me about Mariko in the show and the book is that she doesn't translate exactly and often twists the meaning of both parties. I understand its an integral part of her character and how she survives politically, and even that it's part of what makes her an interesting character, but it still drives me crazy. I get frustrated on Blackthorne's behalf even when he doesn't know she's doing it, lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Of course it's part of the novel, but seeing how toranaga keeps everyone else off balance by favoring blackthorne is so perfectly crystalized by the visuals of omi's pissy face

I loved that scene of Omi bitching about the barbarian and Yuba's just like "You know we're mega hosed at the moment, right?"

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's an honorific. "Kata" essentially just means "person" but it's more respectful. I dunno how to describe it adequately in English. It's sort of like saying "ma'am" but more respectfully? Often it was specifically for people who were not within your social group but still of high status. At least that's how I hear it used nowadays.

To all the Western folks in Japan who moan about being called "gai-jin" and (legitimately) insist on "gaikoku-jin", lest we forget the nice effort made when somebody busts out the "gaikoku no kata".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

Fuji: :clint: I'm your huckleberry :clint:

Blackthorne: gently caress off or I'll kill you!
Omi: Sure you will, barbarian :laugh:
Fuji: Kindly leave before I respectfully pop a cap in yo rear end. :)
Omi: Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit :ohdear: