Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Saganlives posted:

That was a great episode. I loved the whole sequence between Blackthorne, Mariko and the Courtesan. Incidentally, as someone who tries to be very deliberate in their choice of words to convey proper meaning, something that really bugs me about Mariko in the show and the book is that she doesn't translate exactly and often twists the meaning of both parties. I understand its an integral part of her character and how she survives politically, and even that it's part of what makes her an interesting character, but it still drives me crazy. I get frustrated on Blackthorne's behalf even when he doesn't know she's doing it, lol

Spoilers I guess:

Courtesan: “please come back soon.”

Mariko, translating: “uh, she says goodbye.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

Spoilers I guess:

Courtesan: “please come back soon.”

Mariko, translating: “uh, she says goodbye.”

I like how that one can cut three ways.

Mariko editorializing for her benefit.

But also, "Let's do this again" or "Let's hang out soon" is a pretty common farewell in Japanese and is not necessarily a promise to further hang out. You get a lot of people in the JapanLife subreddits getting frustrated with this. But it's kinda like how "How are you?" is not an invitation for a sudden therapy session.

But also, of course they would very much appreciate repeat business from Toranaga's purse.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No kidding they would love to have mariko back considering how bad she got fleeced. I have it on good authority you could have saved another 200 moneys :argh:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This week's episode was fantastic. The show definitely helps having some room to breathe and working with the plotlines already in motion, nothing too overly dramatic or over-indulgent. It was a nice episode to settle in with things a bit before things presumably pop off again next episode.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

My quick look at the Shogun subreddit has some folks itching for more action, but man, I gotta say, the cut to all of Sugiyama's entourage slaughtered hit hard and I can't think of any spinning and kicking and clanging of swords that I would like to see in its place.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

My quick look at the Shogun subreddit has some folks itching for more action, but man, I gotta say, the cut to all of Sugiyama's entourage slaughtered hit hard and I can't think of any spinning and kicking and clanging of swords that I would like to see in its place.

Especially how it lingers so long on Sugiyama's wife amid the aftermath of the slaughter. I think she's on screen as a corpse for longer than she is alive.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Every woman in this show is written so goddamn well. How do we get this writing throughout Hollywood? I need more Ochibas and Fujis in my life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ochiba as the next Mission Impossible baddie, played EXACTLY the same way :hellyeah:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Jerusalem posted:

Ochiba as the next Mission Impossible baddie, played EXACTLY the same way :hellyeah:

I was thinking that or as a Bond Villian.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They better pay off Mariko and and Ochiba duelling with naginatas at the start of the episode. That throwdown is going to be fantastic.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Every woman in this show is written so goddamn well. How do we get this writing throughout Hollywood? I need more Ochibas and Fujis in my life.

I'm really impressed at how well Kiku not only molds herself to the needs of the different men she's with, but that in this episode we also see that she's really intuitive and good at this even with women. In lazier writing this could have easily been a stereotypical portrayal. Instead, she's a 1600s therapist.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but speaking of Chernobyl, I remember Russia was real mad when that came out and they said they were gonna make their own version of the show, with blackjack and hookers, and, presumably, not full of western lies like the HBO version. Did that ever happen?

Да.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I like how that one can cut three ways.

Mariko editorializing for her benefit.

But also, "Let's do this again" or "Let's hang out soon" is a pretty common farewell in Japanese and is not necessarily a promise to further hang out. You get a lot of people in the JapanLife subreddits getting frustrated with this. But it's kinda like how "How are you?" is not an invitation for a sudden therapy session.

But also, of course they would very much appreciate repeat business from Toranaga's purse.

It’s brilliantly ambiguous yeah. It’s not clear how the first statement is intended, not clear how Mariko understood it, and not clear whether she’s faithfully conveying the meaning as she understands it or shutting down the idea of a repeat trip.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm really impressed at how well Kiku not only molds herself to the needs of the different men she's with, but that in this episode we also see that she's really intuitive and good at this even with women. In lazier writing this could have easily been a stereotypical portrayal. Instead, she's a 1600s therapist.

It reminds me of Akemi from Blue Eye Samurai, someone else who's able to very quickly figure out the men in her life and shape herself to get what she wants t out of them without them even realizing what's happening.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Really great episode, I am really loving the pacing. I wasn't sure what to expect given last week's slow burn, but yet another introspective, measured episode that focuses on the characters was such a great choice. Instead of just ticking the plot event boxes, the showrunners are really working to establish mood and subtlety in how the characters interact.

What a breath of fresh air compared against so many other shows that feel rushed or awkwardly paced.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Any time Blackthorne says “the Japans” my heart tickles. :kimchi:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ballz posted:

Any time Blackthorne says “the Japans” my heart tickles. :kimchi:

I love the recurring motif of

Blackthorne: I would like to leave the Japans, please.

Toranaga: gently caress you.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I love the recurring motif of

Blackthorne: I would like to leave the Japans, please.

Toranaga: gently caress you.

Toranaga: Also, here's a promotion, pay raise, and hotties to bang.

edit:

Toranaga: Or not bang. Whatever. I've got more pressing poo poo to deal with, geeze.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 27, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If only Yabu realized that he and Toranaga could bond over not having time for nonsense :shobon:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

isn't that just an adult thing

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

YaketySass posted:

isn't that just an adult thing

I'm just saying there are set phrases like that in Japanese, and Mariko might have been conveniently removing the confusion that comes from a literal translation.

Edit;
As in, did she know that of course this was always a one-time thing, or did she decide this will be a one-time thing?

Edit 2 (yeah, I'm editing this again), because the subtitles for Kiku's farewell were translated literally. And Mariko's translation might hit different (less sassy and more just impatient, perhaps) if you're a native Japanese speaker.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 27, 2024

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I'm just saying there are set phrases like that in Japanese, and Mariko might have been conveniently removing the confusion that comes from a literal translation.

I definitely get the impression that sometimes she's aiming for clarity and other times... she's got slightly different motives.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Quinton posted:

I definitely get the impression that sometimes she's aiming for clarity and other times... she's got slightly different motives.

Yeah, she really simplified Blackthorne's comments to Toranaga about the Portuguese and the Blackship.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Quinton posted:

Yeah, although sometimes it's as simple as "that won't go over well, I'll massage it a bit so everyone keeps their heads".

grobbo
May 29, 2014
On one level I can understand the impatience to be getting on with things - we've had a couple of successive episodes where characters have signalled the end credits by very dramatically declaring "It's war / the time for politics is over", and then the show's focus has gone right back to hanging out in Yabu's village / the decidedly political business of conducting job interviews in Osaka, with only smaller glimpses given to the audience of the forward momentum that's occurring elsewhere.

It hasn't been cheap or unjustified, but I can get that it might be starting to remind viewers unfavourably of blockbuster shows like GoT that tended to stall for time mid-season by having its characters make portentous declarations of intent to a big swell of music before the end credits...and then go right back to bickering in tents, because after all there are another four episodes to go before it's time for the actual big battle sequence or betrayal.

On the other hand, Shogun is proving its skill with small and understated character moments so well, and using these moments to play into the wider themes of the story so effectively, that I almost don't want them to get to the fireworks factory. (That tender but unreciprocated finger caress. Buntaru's isolated cheek twitch when he sees his wife. The unstated parallel between Blackthorne's gardener and Mariko's dad. It's all great.)

grobbo fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 27, 2024

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

The cinematography in this show is also on another level. I was particularly taken with this shot, the intimacy it conveys is astounding.

https://i.imgur.com/ExR350f.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I gotta echo whoever posted last episode about Ochiba having a noticeably different kind of pronunciation going on. Even across the language barrier, it really does come off as quite a bit more dramatic/villainous. :allears:

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Perestroika posted:

I gotta echo whoever posted last episode about Ochiba having a noticeably different kind of pronunciation going on. Even across the language barrier, it really does come off as quite a bit more dramatic/villainous. :allears:

Definite anime villain vibes. Also wondering if they'll eventually reveal the real reason Ochiba hates Toranaga, which I'm not sure even made sense in the book. If Toranaga DID see her he would have surely played that card long before now, although given his reputation I could see her being terrified that him not playing that card just means that he's holding onto it for some reason she can't ascertain.

Having never heard of the book before this TV series, I got through maybe two episodes before I decided I needed to obsessively speedread it. And while I'm not regretting that decision, I am now eagerly anticipating seeing them carry off certain scenes.*

* "So sorry, I don't believe you." out of left field and the big standoff between the Catholic factions.

The show itself is beautiful. I don't have the knowledge to speak to the historical authenticity myself, but it's very clearly a top-notch production value. Since Shogun is being compared to so many preceding series, I'll add one more and say that it reminds me of Band of Brothers in the single aspect that every scene feels like it has a purpose and fills that purpose.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 27, 2024

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I really hope at some point Ochiba barely covers her mouth and laughs like OH HO HO HO HO

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, she really simplified Blackthorne's comments to Toranaga about the Portuguese and the Blackship.

Yes, that seemed like the most egregious mistranslation of the series so far, but I'm not clear if she did it because she's Catholic or if she knew Toranaga was not going to go for it no matter what.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Yes, that seemed like the most egregious mistranslation of the series so far, but I'm not clear if she did it because she's Catholic or if she knew Toranaga was not going to go for it no matter what.

I think it's a combination of that AND still being pissed at Blackthrone and wanting to thwart his plans for petty reasons, which is part of why Toranaga sent her to the Willow World too along with him because even he was like "I can see that you're not telling me the whole story given how much the Anjin talks vs. how little you talk when relaying it to me, so go sort your poo poo out right now. We're at war, he's one of my generals now, and I don't have time for... what this high school bullshit is between you two."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can definitely infer this, but just by virtue of hearing more internal monologues of the characters I think the book makes it a little bit more obvious by this point absolutely nobody except blackthorne thinks there is any remote possibility whatsoever of blackthorne being allowed to sail away

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

You can definitely infer this, but just by virtue of hearing more internal monologues of the characters I think the book makes it a little bit more obvious by this point absolutely nobody except blackthorne thinks there is any remote possibility whatsoever of blackthorne being allowed to sail away

Oh yeah, Toranaga knows 100% that if he gives the Erasmus back to Blackthrone, then Blackthrone is just gonna book it back to Holland and probably die along the way and completely sees through his "I will admiral the poo poo out of your fleet and defeat your enemies with my superior Dutch warship" crap. Him wanting to sink the Black Ship to help Toranaga's cause is genuine, but it's something he wants to do with Japan at his back and disappearing behind the horizon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if the show is going to care enough to say, so I guess I'll ask a book reader:

What happened to Blackthorne's crew? Are they living in the lap of luxury in Edo or shivering a different hole in the ground or all dead?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ManSedan posted:

I really hope at some point Ochiba barely covers her mouth and laughs like OH HO HO HO HO

I hope she wears glasses in the finale, and pushes them up her nose so the light catches them.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know if the show is going to care enough to say, so I guess I'll ask a book reader:

What happened to Blackthorne's crew? Are they living in the lap of luxury in Edo or shivering a different hole in the ground or all dead?

Has there been any new stew being made?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I think the show will probably still get back to them so I won't spoil. There are some important scenes involving them.

I will say, the way they were handled in the book is I think pretty problematic and ahistorical, so hopefully they have some tweaks in mind with them

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

PostNouveau posted:

Without giving anything plot-related away, I will just say that we will probably catch up with them in the next episode or two. One of them plays a somewhat minor role down the stretch.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Vorenus posted:

Definite anime villain vibes. Also wondering if they'll eventually reveal the real reason Ochiba hates Toranaga, which I'm not sure even made sense in the book. If Toranaga DID see her he would have surely played that card long before now, although given his reputation I could see her being terrified that him not playing that card just means that he's holding onto it for some reason she can't ascertain.

I'm only 65% through the book, but Ochiba also had a son before the current heir. He got sick and died as a baby during a battle/campaign that Toranaga was leading and Ochiba blamed him for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Be funny if the show introduced a version of Jan Joosten (the other white guy who the real Tokugawa made a samurai) and he finally meets back up with Blackthorne and he's had a comparatively dead easy time of it and just astounded by all of Blackthorne's crazy adventures

(I have not read the book so if this is a spoiler, please forgive a big dummy)