Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Phy posted:

Be funny if the show introduced a version of Jan Joosten (the other white guy who the real Tokugawa made a samurai) and he finally meets back up with Blackthorne and he's had a comparatively dead easy time of it and just astounded by all of Blackthorne's crazy adventures

(I have not read the book so if this is a spoiler, please forgive a big dummy)

We've already met the character based (very loosely, so I wouldn't say it's a spoiler) on him. He's a member of the crew of the Erasmus and he's the crew member that plays a minor role in the rest of the story, at least in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vorenus posted:

Having never heard of the book before this TV series, I got through maybe two episodes before I decided I needed to obsessively speedread it. And while I'm not regretting that decision, I am now eagerly anticipating seeing them carry off certain scenes.*

proud single tear and a smile

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Saganlives posted:

The cinematography in this show is also on another level. I was particularly taken with this shot, the intimacy it conveys is astounding.

https://i.imgur.com/ExR350f.mp4

I love how unsubtle this moment is.

Perestroika posted:

I gotta echo whoever posted last episode about Ochiba having a noticeably different kind of pronunciation going on. Even across the language barrier, it really does come off as quite a bit more dramatic/villainous. :allears:

Is there a specific word for the intonations she take? It's very distinctive and even though I don't follow anime anymore I feel like I've heard this before.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YaketySass posted:

I love how unsubtle this moment is.

Is there a specific word for the intonations she take? It's very distinctive and even though I don't follow anime anymore I feel like I've heard this before.

Beyond "she's a really well written villain"? I dunno :shrug:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe this is a big thing to say but I think this is honestly in the running for a GOAT show for costumes. Not to reduce anyone's achievement, but it's kinda easy to make great shots like that when you have unbelievably beautiful costumes to film

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

Maybe this is a big thing to say but I think this is honestly in the running for a GOAT show for costumes. Not to reduce anyone's achievement, but it's kinda easy to make great shots like that when you have unbelievably beautiful costumes to film

Toranaga's drip in particular is immaculate.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe the only thing you can criticize about the costumes is frumpy goblin blackthorne kinda just wears generic stuff so far. I guess even that achieves something as another way of foregrounding the japanese characters

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I'm only 65% through the book, but Ochiba also had a son before the current heir. He got sick and died as a baby during a battle/campaign that Toranaga was leading and Ochiba blamed him for it.

Somehow I completely missed that, thanks for explaining. That definitely makes more sense.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

My quick look at the Shogun subreddit has some folks itching for more action, but man, I gotta say, the cut to all of Sugiyama's entourage slaughtered hit hard and I can't think of any spinning and kicking and clanging of swords that I would like to see in its place.

I've been rewatching Deadwood at the same time and it honestly reminds me of that show in the way that action sequences are sparse, quick, and impactful. The real joy of both shows is watching characters try to explain themselves to one another.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every time I see the Portuguese people I laugh at how stupid their clothes and haircuts are.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

especially the haircuts

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Another great episode. So many good moments - I particularly liked Mariko saying “Our every gesture is being observed” in the tea house and Blackthorne immediately doing a 360 degree turn to see where the sex noise was coming from while still walking forward.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Cojawfee posted:

Every time I see the Portuguese people I laugh at how stupid their clothes and haircuts are.

Same, and when I'm watching Shogun.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
In Episode 6, when Blackthorne gets a new pair of swords gifted to him from Toranaga, were those the same pair he gave to Toranaga in Episode 5, or an upgraded version?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Toronaga was at the mall so he bought another set.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

IIRC in the book he gets given some incredibly fancy heirloom swords or whatever

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The swords he gives back to Blackthorne are now much more valuable. Because they once belonged to the great Toranaga.

This is also how I handle re-gifting white elephants at Christmas.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Phy posted:

Jan Joosten (the other white guy who the real Tokugawa made a samurai)

Fun fact, the Yaesu district on the east side of Tokyo Station is named after him. Just say "Jan Joosten" in 1600s Japanese real fast and I guess it sounds like Yaesu? (And just north of Yaesu is a block or two called Anjin Town, named after Will Adams, and is now mostly an upscale shopping district.)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I’ve been wanting to ask - what is up with the partially shaved heads? I can’t quite tell how it works. You have Toranaga who doesn’t do it, but his peers of a similarly high station do it. Then you have guys liked Yabushige who are a level below who don’t do it, but it seemed like the Taiko in the flashbacks, who outranks Toranaga, did it. Is it something completely optional that nobles choose to do, or is it based on your place in the social hierarchy?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
There are various explanations on the hair thing, the one that seems to be most popular (but not definitive) is that it's a fashion that grew out of period hats / helmets fitting better with a partially shaved scalp. The theory is that it prevented the headgear from sliding around while riding / fighting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's such a bad look lol. Especially on those guys who don't even shave it fully and have, like, 5-o-clock shadow on their forehead.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Vorenus posted:

it reminds me of Band of Brothers in the single aspect that every scene feels like it has a purpose and fills that purpose.

I didn't think of this until I read it just now and it really rings for me as well. The worldbuilding is really great in this show. It's been a really pleasant surprise to have something to look forward to after the huge disappointment 3 Body was for me. Even disregarding the changes from the book, it just looks like a cheap TV movie and I was expecting with the production quality of top Netflix shows like Black Mirror.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

You really can see the budget on screen in Shogun, huh?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
As someone else pointed out, the costumes are doing a lot of the heavy work in that regard. Combined with good lighting and good to great cinematography...it just looks amazing and has all the grandiosity one would expect from a top tier studio.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm really pleased with how this episode centered the female characters (in a way the book didn't because James Clavell, while well-meaning, was a 70s-80s white guy rip). I mean, we've had Fuji acting her eyeballs out since her first appearance in the Baby Incident, but this was basically an episode focused on the women.

also 1) totally facile observation but "Ladies of the Willow World" also applies a bit to Mariko and Ochiba, they're women of good birth and good education sold to men in more or less the same way and 2) they were traumatized in more or less the same way, but Mariko sank into icy depression and service to Toranaga and Ochiba became a power hungry rear end in a top hat

in the book Ishido gets more of the spotlight, here she's got her arm up his butt using him as a hand puppet, lol

spectacular episode, sad we only have four more left but at this rate it's going to be a tightly plotted perfect miniseries and that's not a bad thing

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

As someone else pointed out, the costumes are doing a lot of the heavy work in that regard. Combined with good lighting and good to great cinematography...it just looks amazing and has all the grandiosity one would expect from a top tier studio.

My only quibble with the look is that a good number of outdoor shots look pretty clearly filmed in a studio using (probably) the Volume -- the two final scenes on the boat in episode 3 in particular. But also, it kinda gives a mildly ethereal mood to the setting.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 28, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
also iirc the book describes ishido as short and ugly whereas this guy is reasonably attractive and doesn't have obvious establishing shots of him being short, but because the casting in this show is amazing he makes up for it by seething in rage that people above him (except ochiba and the heir) have the temerity to exist and people below him have the temerity to not grovel

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

There are various explanations on the hair thing, the one that seems to be most popular (but not definitive) is that it's a fashion that grew out of period hats / helmets fitting better with a partially shaved scalp. The theory is that it prevented the headgear from sliding around while riding / fighting.

so something like the hitler mustache, which was a nod to his service in ww1

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

the wide open anamorphics are killing me sometimes tho

like i get it's an aesthetic but that loving barrel distortion on the shoji door with all the lines that should clearly be straight aaaaaaaa

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I thought that was the really stiff top knot

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The latest episode of the official podcast goes into the "no Kata" thing on people's names.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For the partially shaved heads, I read that it was because the helmets would get really hot, so they shaved that part of their head to keep it cooler. So for that reason, I don't really laugh at the Japanese dumb haircuts, since they seem to have a reason. The Portuguese priests I will laugh at all day every day. They have their heads shaved all stupid because of something someone made up in the middle ages.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goatse James Bond posted:

also iirc the book describes ishido as short and ugly whereas this guy is reasonably attractive and doesn't have obvious establishing shots of him being short, but because the casting in this show is amazing he makes up for it by seething in rage that people above him (except ochiba and the heir) have the temerity to exist and people below him have the temerity to not grovel

I'd also argue that the whole thing with "the antagonists are ugly goblins while the protagonists are handsome chads" is kind of an outdated convention that would have felt pretty out of place here.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

No Mods No Masters posted:

Maybe the only thing you can criticize about the costumes is frumpy goblin blackthorne kinda just wears generic stuff so far. I guess even that achieves something as another way of foregrounding the japanese characters

I love it, he finally got one of those V-shoulder garments that all the other ranking samurai have and it's still made out of scratchy dog towel material

Dude could put on Torunaga's finest silks and they would instantly transmute into something more appropriate for a trained bear in a housecoat

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I thought this episode was a big double beat. The character stuff it revealed was either a repeat (Blackthorne and Mariko) of points the story just hit last episode in a more interesting way, or weirdly simplistic like Ochiba's overt villainy. I appreciate her acting in a 1950's film kind of way but it's not genuine investment. The earthquake was a non-event in the end, just something to create a fake climax for the last episode which otherwise wouldn't have had one and it feels like this one didn't either.

I'm not even desperate for a big battle or anything, it's just comes off as dishonest to repeatedly promise it being imminent and then continue to spin wheels because they have 10 episodes to fill.

Although I don't know what else is coming up in the story. I really like the show overall, just the last 2 eps have had my enthusiasm slowly draining a bit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cojawfee posted:

For the partially shaved heads, I read that it was because the helmets would get really hot, so they shaved that part of their head to keep it cooler. So for that reason, I don't really laugh at the Japanese dumb haircuts, since they seem to have a reason. The Portuguese priests I will laugh at all day every day. They have their heads shaved all stupid because of something someone made up in the middle ages.

That's just one of those commonly thought reasons that people say but there's no evidence to support it. Like shaving your mustache for gas masks in WW1, or English Englishmen dropping the V because of archers.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I always just assumed it was something elder officials instituted as a style because a lot of them would be naturally bald anyway and wanted to make it a mark of status rather than a sign of decline. Make the cool young samurai do it too. Even if they said otherwise, 'oh you know the helmet just gets too hot so i shave by choice'.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Who knows, it may well have been a mighty ancient warrior of great renoun had mpb* and youngsters copied them. Or a "gently caress you dad" type of cool kids style change that turned out to have great utility. The army that invaded Korea ended up with lots of hair and beards, and the highly manicured style of the following generation was a repudiation of them.

*or shaved it because he got sick of his head hairs being pulled during battle.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I'd also argue that the whole thing with "the antagonists are ugly goblins while the protagonists are handsome chads" is kind of an outdated convention that would have felt pretty out of place here.

Yeah that's a pretty good point, it's just another 1970s Writer Thing lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Readers were dumber 50 years ago and had to be spoon-fed this stuff.