Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Hiroyuki Sanada has made an entire career by being 1 of 2 Japanese guys (the other being Ken Watanabe) that western audiences recognize, good for him.

I've read the book and enjoyed it, so I think this will be a good watch. The political scheming stuff is a lot of fun and some of the action scenes were great, I'm looking forward to seeing how it translates to TV. That said, as a Japanese-American person and a history buff I expect to roll my eyes at some of the "Real Japanese Values" they'll probably showcase. So just like the book, more or less.

Twilight Samurai ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

McNally posted:

I'm only half-remembering the book, but in James Clavell's Japan someone of Toranaga's position and stature almost certainly would have been carrying masterpiece heirloom swords. "This legendary swordsmith only made three swords, and I have one" sort of thing. Also in the book, Toranaga was actually angry about losing them to the point that Blackthorne, despite his limited Japanese, clearly understood that Toranaga was expressing "goddamnit I've lost my swords gently caress"

Edit: Found it

All I saw in this series and recalling the 80s one (haven't read the book) is that it was this European who immediately volunteered a set of swords (a status symbol) to Toranaga and that was amusing and bemusing, perhaps, to Toranaga. I don't think his laughter had anything to do with the swords in particular but who was giving swords to whom? [edit: Also this mf just saved my life] I dunno, I just love this series.

I love especially how they expand the scope beyond Blackthorne compared to the 80s miniseries.

Grimnarsson fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 22, 2024

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Beefeater1980 posted:

I took it as a mix of:
1. Swords! Better than no swords, which is a kind of bad omen with a battle coming sometime soon
2. lol it’s the gaijin, of all people, giving me the swords?
3. Aren’t they those sketchy swords that got lost in a bad gamble, that’s kind of funny in an absurd way especially since Anjin-San probably has no idea how super valuable the ones I lost are.
4. OTOH I guess they’re the swords someone won in a gamble, I am also gambling, plus it’s right after I lost mine, so I’ve decided it’s a good omen now.

I don’t think there’s any particular textual support for 4 but it seems in character for him.

I understood it that Toranaga without swords is like one of his class is as if we would be in public without pants. So he Blackthorne gave his modest "pants" to him. It was established already that someone of Blackthornes status as hatamoto should be wearing swords. "Wearing" might not be the right term.. But that's why he has them in the first place!

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
The ship is Dutch though?

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Sidelined, but technically the ultimate power.

In the book there is a scene in which a seventh-ranked prince is in Osaka as the representative of the emperor, and basically exerts no authority other than being untouchable, which in itself gives him a certain authority. Though there have been plenty of cases of the emperor being manipulated to the military's advantage, in the setting of Shogun, he's just chilling at court in Kyoto, mostly hands off.

That's not the emperor. "Shogun" or "Taiko" are basically "commanders in chief" or militaristic prime ministers -- the primary minister to the emperor.

One of the big deals of the Meiji Restoration that ended the Edo period in 1867 is that it "restored" political power to the emperor after centuries of not really having any authority.

Also wasn't the Taiko "Taiko" rather than "Shogun" because the Emperor refused to give him the rank on account of his low birth? That's at least something.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Reminds me of the title of president, which was meant to sound unimpressive, or lacking noble origins; they "preside" over government operations. But over 200 years it is now a pretty powerful sounding title.

Who knows, maybe in some hundreds of years our republican terminology will be used by future monarchies as regal titles like how happened with names and titles from the Roman republic.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
There is a recentish (2017) Japanese movie about the battle of Sekigahara called Sekigahara, which I will watch now that this series has given me that itch. It presented a more positive view of the Ishido -character IIRC, that he was honestly trying to ensure the heir's ascension.

As to the issue of banning Christianity, I recall watching one of the videos (Edit: a channel called "Voices of the Past") about a Japanese embassy to Europe in the early 17th century and IIRC there was speculation (I don't remember if it was by someone opposed to Spain or Catholicism at the time or modern speculation) that the embassy tried to clandestinely secure sanction from the Pope and military support from Spain to make Date Masamune a Christian king of Japan. It just seemed interesting that in Scorcese's Silence the Japanese repression of Christianity is justified by it's destabilising effect and the possibility of a new era of warfare.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Yabu, Buntaro, Blackthorne living to old age is good.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Burns posted:

Know what, i really want to see a 2 and a half hour production with these same characters and actors actually doing Sekighagara in the style of the film Waterloo.

I recognised a couple of the same actors in the film "Sekigahara", like the guy who played Ishido played a rugged, trusty, Toshiro Mifune -type no nonsense right hand man to that movies "Ishido", and Toranaga's old advisor who committed seppuku was there too. But it wasn't a particularly good movie. It was ok, I'd say it portrayed the events as they happened pretty accurately to my "has read wikipedia articles concerning the events" conception. In the style of Waterloo? In terms of huge amount of extras capable of military drill? Well let's hope the CCP or North Korea recognise the value of that kind of movie industry. Too bad Waterloo was a flop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
While I loved the show and would recommend it I have to agree that at one point the story after the midpoint felt like it was treading water. Been watching the 80s series and it's really watchable and perhaps complimentary as it's more focused on Blackthorne. I like it better for, for example, emphasizing Blackthorne trying to acquire the language and focusing on this process more and showing his increased language skills better than the new show. Hell, I can even fool myself into thinking I'm learning too!