Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I thought he looked familiar. I love that insurance commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So the uncredited audience member from a Whitney Houston concert is an accomplished actor?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just gotta bootstraps your way out of the jungle hut.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlzrEaGW4c0

oh yeah bhanu? very deceptive actor. real chameleon that bhanu.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Studio posted:

lol

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Lol. Good on him. Got past the casting screeners. Production and editing feeling they're on a gold mine. "You think maybe he's laying it on a bit thick?"

"Naw man. He's just a poor foreign. What great TV."

Next I hope Camp Counselor Lady turns out to be running a scam call center, found out by someone recognizing her tunes as the hold music.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I could have watched more of Q teaching Bhanu how to play Survivor each week. Then later on in Tribal when Kenzie said that he allowed himself to get played when he was on The Journey when in reality he couldn't wait to divulge everything about his tribe unprompted. I get why people were infuriated by him, but I'm going to steal these 20 moments someone posted on the subreddit just to remind ourselves of the gold he gave us.

quote:

I loved seeing his tribemates try to work with him and grow increasingly exasperated.

I loved seeing him fall to his knees and yell at God, while Kenzie had no idea how to react.

I loved seeing his strategy, which usually consisted of desperately begging every other player to give him an idol or spare his life.

I loved seeing him slowly losing his mind while making these bug-eyed yet vacant expressions as he struggled to grasp the concept of lying.

I loved his approach to Advantage Island, where he knew he was on the chopping block but was determined not to get an advantage, instead prioritizing keeping his vote so he could play the Shot in the Dark.

I loved seeing Q straightforwardly tell him he was a terrible player that he wanted to take to the end, and then Bhanu react happily because he was so desperate for a partner.

I loved him talking out loud nonstop, so that half of his "confessionals" were not planned sit-downs interviews but were instead him just rambling to the cameraman.

I loved the fact that Jelinsky was somehow not the biggest joke on the tribe.

I loved Bhanu's occasional use of the third person.

I loved his prayers being answered in the form of Randen being medevaced.

I loved the editors trying to convince the audience (and actually convincing some viewers!) that there was a real chance that Kenzie was going to go home before Randen's Medevac instead of Bhanu.

I loved Q immediately ditching that "plan" within 2 minutes of this episode's beginning because he became so fed up with Bhanu.

I love him having his highest emotional peak on Survivor as God spared his life in the game, only to immediately ruin it by running his mouth to Tiffany and Q for no reason whatsoever.

I loved Kenzie and Tiffany's facial expressions reacting to him.

I loved "Why is he here? He could have just gone camping" and "If you want to win a million hearts, go volunteer."

I loved Ben of all people calling Bhanu's "million hearts" line corny.

I loved his self-pitying attitude becoming contagious and causing Q to temporarily ask to be voted out.

I loved to see his three tribemates openly and loudly voice their frustrations with him as they confirmed their plan to vote him out, while he stood 25 feet away in the bushes listening.

I loved his "Be Kind" T-Shirt.

I loved him almost openly tell Jeff that they were going to vote out Jelinsky at the first tribal council.

I loved his paranoia growing so strong that he interrupted tribal council in order to openly go up to each of his tribemates individually to beg them to keep him- with the exception of Jess, who was not in his alliance.

I loved him passionately count out five on his fingers at tribal council (can't remember what but it was very passionate)

I loved him immediately picking up his bag and getting ready to grab his torch as soon as he received one vote from Jess.

I loved him saying "I feel like a fool" after he made himself look like a fool at Tribal Council.

I loved him showing a genuine non-quivering anger while yelling at Jen during the immunity challenge

I loved him comparing himself to Gandhi during the pre-challenge trash talk in Episode 2.

I loved how the editors knew there was no point in creating fake tension for his last tribal council, so instead of showing misleading strategy sessions, we got to witness Bhanu's last gasps of ineffectual begging.

I loved getting to watch as he went through through the five stages of grief, ultimately accepting his fate with dignity as he left the game knowing that while he did not win Survivor, he had won a million hearts.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Studio posted:

And he's not even the worst actor in this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Any of y'all watching Deal or No Deal island? I'm really curious to see how long Boston Rob lasts, it's funny watching him basically be the only one with experience at this sorta thing out there.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I mentioned we started watching this season after having not watched for decades. If we wanted to watch an old season in parallel, is there a well regarded top season list? Should we just use a random number generator? My wife wants to watch the season Parvati won because that one seems to be referenced a lot online and we watched The Traitors so that's an option too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Khanstant posted:

Any of y'all watching Deal or No Deal island? I'm really curious to see how long Boston Rob lasts, it's funny watching him basically be the only one with experience at this sorta thing out there.
That's his specialty

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

KingKapalone posted:

I mentioned we started watching this season after having not watched for decades. If we wanted to watch an old season in parallel, is there a well regarded top season list? Should we just use a random number generator? My wife wants to watch the season Parvati won because that one seems to be referenced a lot online and we watched The Traitors so that's an option too.

Micronesia is a great season, but as it is a half - returnee season, sometimes a lot of the fun is seeing the growth of people's gameplay compared to their previous season. I think you should maybe watch a season of all new players.

In my opinion, the best for that would be Marquesas, Cook Islands, China, Cagayan, Kaoh Rong, Millennials v Gen X, and David v Goliath, with D v G being maybe the best of the bunch.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

david vs goliath is pretty much the universal Jumping On point for modern american survivor, tho i would argue that 41 is probably good for post-pandemic survivor as its more or less the reset of the game.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

KingKapalone posted:

7 - Pearl Islands (Sandra from traitors)
13 - Cook Islands (Parvati)
15 - China
16 - Micronesia (Parvati and Cirie from Traitors' 2nd seasons)

All excellent old seasons. 16 has a lot of players from 9, 13 and 15, if you care about spoilers for how people did their first time around.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STING 64 posted:

david vs goliath is pretty much the universal Jumping On point for modern american survivor, tho i would argue that 41 is probably good for post-pandemic survivor as its more or less the reset of the game.

Probably don't want to watch a 4x season along side 45 as the games will be pretty much exactly the same with more or less the same "twists" at the same time, and probably quite confusing to watch together...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Probably don't want to watch a 4x season along side 45 as the games will be pretty much exactly the same with more or less the same "twists" at the same time, and probably quite confusing to watch together...

41 is pretty different from the current seasons

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Cook Islands has this weird thing where people like it more because its standout characters came back and made big impressions later. Parvati in particular.

If you want an old rear end old season to watch in parallel, go for Borneo, Marquesas, or Pearl Islands.

A little more modern, go for Panama, China, or Tocantins (17 and onward are in HD).

Micronesia is a stupid funny season but half returnees may leave you going “I don’t know why these people are a big deal” and missing a lot of context.

If you want a season that doesn’t totally suck from after Jeff Probst became EP, try San Juan Del Sur, Kaoh Rong, or David Vs Goliath.

Folks will say “Cagayan” but that one has a lot of the same stuff you’ll see in the New Era so it won’t feel as different. Also I myself am kinda down on Cagayan but that’s just me

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I pirated (lol) Pearl Island my first year in University and that’s what got me back into Survivor so my vote is for that.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

KingKapalone posted:

Yeah tbh mentioning The Traitors really tells me you should just watch Pearl Islands, but everything else i said is still true

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Is there a way to look up info about these seasons without getting immediately spoiled? I looked at season 45 on Wikipedia and practically the second sentence has the winner. I googled another one and saw a survivor wiki but that also had the winner in the first sentence on the Google results page. I might have seen Pearl Island if it was season 7 since I only watched those first seasons.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STING 64 posted:

It's not that different at all. 41 is the introduction to the "Beware Advantages" & "Shot in the Dark." Some of the twists are slightly different with the hour glass & exile island at the 13 player merge / not merge. Where recent seasons the 13th player just picks a side.

The only twist actually different in 41 was the challenge where the 1st person out had to win the Monty Hall problem at tribal to stay in the game.

But otherwise season 41 has the same twists as 45 and presumably what 46 will have.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

41 is interesting for all the bits where they show the viewer things like secret advantages, the idea that you could know more than the players with Jeff doing pre-challenge bits where he'd hide an advantage on the sit out bench. All its unique bits are basically set dressing otherwise though since outside the box thing and "what did you think was going to happen" hourglass none of them really impacted the game much.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

STING 64 posted:

I would probably lean 42 over 41, just because 41 has so many editing choices that don't really help it. I love the overall story, but it's just not well presented.

Though if someone is watching 46 now, I'd probably go for something different. China is pretty sick, imo.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

If you want a trainwreck season, Gabon. If you want a season of bad people, ala 46, then Worlds Apart

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Slight echo chamber, but I think 6/Amazon, 7/Pearl Islands, 12/Panama, 13/Cook Islands, 15/China, and 18/Tocantins are all fine places to start.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
As I always do when people ask, putting in my vote for Guatemala as a unique fun season that is like none of the others and has a great cast (some duds) but is weirdly unique as survivor goes. Also contains hilarious idiots which is one of my favorite survivor things.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a way to look up info about these seasons without getting immediately spoiled? I looked at season 45 on Wikipedia and practically the second sentence has the winner. I googled another one and saw a survivor wiki but that also had the winner in the first sentence on the Google results page. I might have seen Pearl Island if it was season 7 since I only watched those first seasons.

I’d just ask here. It’s extremely difficult to avoid spoilers on wiki or anywhere else, and the show itself puts the most important players (including the winner) on the DVD covers / season art. Everybody here will be totally willing to talk about our dumb show, heh.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I was gonna say you could start on 15 (China) and then hit Micronesia at 16 and cruise right up to 20. I don't think most of Micronesia's important players really have important first seasons.

This path would hit China, Micronesia, Gabon (lol), Toctantins, Samoa, and then HvV.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gabon is a great season of Survivor don't listen to the haters

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pinterest Mom posted:

Gabon is a great season of Survivor don't listen to the haters

Agreed. Panama is also amazing. Skip Samoa.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

KingKapalone posted:

As Poque said, just ask here; it's almost impossible not to get spoiled looking things up - some genius wikipedia editor even recently changed the main photo for each season from the logos to the DVD box covers which show the winner in a very specific place.

As far as 7 goes, it has a very unique, memorable first episode, so I'd say just watch like the first 10 minutes and if no bells are ringing you either haven't seen it or have forgotten enough to enjoy it again.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Poque posted:

Agreed. Panama is also amazing. Skip Samoa.

I don't think you can skip Samoa. It had a big impact on Survivor as a whole

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Samoa is uninteresting, mean, and teaches lessons that only babies like Russell need to be taught

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Survivor: Shamboa

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Survivors more about the journey than the winner anyway

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

STING 64 posted:

Survivors more about the journey than the winner anyway

Yeah for sure.

It takes so long to fly to Fiji and back that first boots probably spend more time in the air than on the island.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If reality TV shenanigans and people being mean for no reason interests you, watch Samoa.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

I was gonna say you could start on 15 (China) and then hit Micronesia at 16 and cruise right up to 20. I don't think most of Micronesia's important players really have important first seasons.

This path would hit China, Micronesia, Gabon (lol), Toctantins, Samoa, and then HvV.

I think seasons 10-20 represent some of the best Survivor has to offer, but as much as Gabon is hilarious I think you're missing a lot with this path.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Triple post on the Micronesia returning players with spoilers where appropriate:

Fairplay: 7/Pearl Islands - nothing needs to be said, but only if you go and watch that original poo poo. Also, he hit the beach in a Jeff Probst cosplay and it was pretty funny.

Ami, Eliza: 9/Vanuatu - you really need to watch this to understand their relationship, and/or why either of them matter. Both are big characters and big players.

Cirie: 12/Panama - you need the birth of her character arc to blossom into what she's capable of

Ozzy, Parvati, Penner: 13/Cook Islands - Penner plays from the top, then the bottom, then the top, then the bottom; Parvati is almost always on top but we don't get to see too much of it, and Ozzy is a physical legend.

Yau-Man: 14/Fiji - iconic old wise man, fire was made without flint with his glasses. When his tribe had no food, he made tea. You don't strictly need to watch the first half of his badass season but he did some amazing work and it gets compounded in his late game.

Amanda, James: 15/China - They're both iconic, and it's not good news for either of them.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks for all the info. Starting to get a bit lost now with all the suggestions and having to consider seasons that lead into seasons haha. You all have good memories for all these details.