Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

:toxx::toxx: Fallout the streaming show is coming April 11th on Amazon Prime, with all episodes dropping at once. So, here’s a place to talk about it! :toxx::toxx:

Teaser trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kQ8i2FpRDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mugKDQDlg

Starring:

Ella Purnell as the Vault Dweller

Aaron Moten as Brotherhood of Steel initiate Maximus

Walton Goggins as The Ghoul

Kyle MacLachlan as Overseer Hank

And other people too!

Fallout is a (I think) pretty well-known video game series at this point. The games are set in a post nuclear war America, where society at the time of the bombing was embracing a retro 50s style of American pop culture, white picket fences and microwave dinners. You play as a member of a society of people who escaped death by being lucky enough to win/buy a spot in a Vault-Tech brand Vault.
If you are truly unfamiliar with the setting, here’s the intro cinematic from the first Fallout game from 1997:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA

Hundreds of years pass, something goes wrong in the Vault, and your character has to leave to explore the world that has crawled up out of the nuclear ash and maybe save the day? The wasteland is a dangerous place filled with radiation, monsters, radiation monsters, and colorful folk that might try and eat you.

Like the games, the show follows one of these Vault Dwellers as they explore the wastelands of LA and Hollywood, looking for… something. There’s also a faction of technology hoarding “knights” who call themselves the Brotherhood of Steel, sometimes portrayed in the games as good guys and other times as thugs whose bad side you don’t want to be on. I don’t really know much of the overarching plot, they haven’t said and I am not a spoiler reader so if you know keep it to yourself until April 12th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The trailer for this was suspiciously good, and I really hope it's not a trick!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hundreds of years pass, something goes wrong in the Vault, and your character has to leave to explore the world that has crawled up out of the nuclear ash and maybe save the day? The wasteland is a dangerous place filled with radiation, monsters, radiation monsters, and colorful folk that might try and eat you.

Against my better judgment, I'm looking forward to this :allears: Give me the crazy ultraviolence from the first 2, let Kyle MacLachlan chew the scenery, and the Ghoul better be the coolest cat.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Here's hoping for some two headed Bear People astride the Battle Cattle.

I also want a goofy radio jockey because those have become something of a staple for Fallout.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Yeah, the recent trailer made this look better than it has any right to. Cautiously optimistic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One complaint I've seen is the Ghoul doesn't look enough like a ghoul and I guess I get it but at the same time you want Walton to have as much freedom to act as possible so settle down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He looks like the Fallout 4 ghouls. I know a lot of people don't like their design compared to the more mutated zombie look of earlier games but I enjoy the shriveled up raisin skin

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Ghoul looks very good in motion in the trailer, IMO. I wouldn't want a Fallout 1 Harold style ghoul as a main character really, it'd be wonky CGI eating budget for no good reason.

Feral ghouls can look like decayed corpses tho for all I care

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the majority of this stuff is mainly for context, but just for fun, here's the (chronological) order of intro sequences for the main Fallout games so you can hear Ron Perlman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0MnePcXxkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM3Y6uw6FtU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SxRNua0TGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_xQdnyTcio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxOiVxTB0KY

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 10, 2024

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My guess on Walton Goggins's character: Him not getting to the Vault is a given. Not getting his daughter to safety and that's why he's a gun-toting druggie hunting Vault Dwellers is likely. But I'm thinking maybe he does get her in the vault, at the cost of his own life (he thinks) and there's a plot twist that the main character is his great great great granddaughter (plus or minus a few greats).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

So the majority of this stuff is mainly for context, but just for fun, here's the (chronological) order of intro sequences for the main Fallout games so you can hear Ron Perlman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0MnePcXxkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM3Y6uw6FtU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SxRNua0TGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_xQdnyTcio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxOiVxTB0KY

Fallout 2 intro is the goat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
2 is great but I still have a fondness for New Vegas. The gunshot smash cut to the title credits is sublime.

It's also neat how each intro reflects a different mindset. Fallout 1 gives a pretty cut and dry historical explanation of how the End happened. Fallout 2 is set long after Fallout 1 and the Great War and the Vaults are a distant memory, so the narration reflects that by saying "who cares why or how the world ended, its just human nature." Then Fallout 3 is a bit more philosophical given that Vault 101 was never intended to open. 76 argues for humanity's responsibility to rebuild the surface. Fallout 4 is one man's worry for the future given what he saw in the army. And then New Vegas hits a point where legend and myth has turned back to history as the long march of time and progress brings the Wasteland into a new post-post apocalyptic age of nations, business and greed.

I'm curious what tack the show is going to take, since it would be easy to just do a "Fallout's greatest hits" story, only this one is set in California where a lot has happened since the Great War.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 10, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It really looks like Fallout. Its clear they didn't just take the name and make some vague adaption. No, people behind this clearly did their research.

The worst thing people have said is the Power Armor helmets open up, who gives a poo poo?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I kind of detest both Fallout 3 and 4 and this looks to be very much in that mold, at least visually. I still want to give it a go, but my hopes aren't high. It'd be hard to have worse writing than the games, however, and it DOES have Walton Goggins which is a big plus.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:stare:

How did I not hear about this until now.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I kind of detest both Fallout 3 and 4 and this looks to be very much in that mold, at least visually. I still want to give it a go, but my hopes aren't high. It'd be hard to have worse writing than the games, however, and it DOES have Walton Goggins which is a big plus.

Yeah, I just slagged on this in the general fallout thread. IMO it looks cheap to boot and its full of memberberries for the game fans. Like if you'd been in the production meetings and heard the word 'iconic' and took a sip, even with just plain water, you'd died.

BUT, I'll be happy to check it out - Walton Goggins, Kyle Mclachlan are a plus and if nothing else, I can hate watch this it if it turns out to be just content.

Jesus... Amazon's going to make so much money out of the new subscriptions alone just for this series.

edit: the show might be great if they lean into comedy/satire.

Splorange fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 11, 2024

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Splorange posted:

edit: the show might be great if they lean into comedy/satire.

I mean, it kinda has to, right?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Even 4 has a lot of snarky dark humour and satire, they just buried most of it in random personal computer consoles in side areas for some loving reason

If the show focuses on the insanity of whatever the supposed and real projects of this vault are, that has potential. Though pretty much anything will be a step up from a main plot consisting of WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT and some :techno: cryogenics

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't really trust Nolan to pull anything interesting out of this, most of what I'm seeing so far is some savvy casting and borrowed glory from the games.

The test is if this manages to put together a compelling plot over the course of its eight episodes, but I gather they're doing one of those things where everyone's already silo'd off into a bunch of separate subplots and that doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't really trust Nolan to pull anything interesting out of this, most of what I'm seeing so far is some savvy casting and borrowed glory from the games.

The test is if this manages to put together a compelling plot over the course of its eight episodes, but I gather they're doing one of those things where everyone's already silo'd off into a bunch of separate subplots and that doesn't fill me with much confidence.

The post apocalypse has been done to death already. There's not much novelty to mine. With the FalloutTM baggage the worst thing they can do is take themselves seriously.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Splorange posted:

The post apocalypse has been done to death already. There's not much novelty to mine. With the FalloutTM baggage the worst thing they can do is take themselves seriously.

If it is a generic action show with Fallout aesthetics bolted on to it then it'll probably be pretty forgettable. If it takes itself seriously it'll be very annoying. I hope they lean into the exploration angle and every episode they go around finding new weird poo poo in vaults and bunkers or crazy communes of lunatics.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they lean into the post post-apocalypse that California should be (barring the NCR imploding) then they could get pretty creative with differentiating the various surface societies. You'll have your junktown from the trailers, army base Brotherhood, or full on rebuilt towns like Vault City/New Reno. Though it is set in greater LA so the closest to a big NCR settlement should be The Boneyard where the Followers have their university.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Owling Howl posted:

I hope they lean into the exploration angle and every episode they go around finding new weird poo poo in vaults and bunkers or crazy communes of lunatics.

It's clearly not going to be this, but based on the teaser trailer they might show one other vault, the one where Chris Parnell seems to be a cyclops overseer.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Owling Howl posted:

I hope they lean into the exploration angle and every episode they go around finding new weird poo poo in vaults and bunkers or crazy communes of lunatics.

Post-apocalyptic Star Trek with a massive streak of dark humour would be the way to go, yes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's clearly not going to be this, but based on the teaser trailer they might show one other vault, the one where Chris Parnell seems to be a cyclops overseer.

Three vaults that we know of so far from the trailers. The one the main character is from, the one where everyone went 28 Days Later (lady with the machine gun from the teaser is shown in the trailer with an eye patch), and the Chris Parnell cyclops one.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

LifeLynx posted:

Three vaults that we know of so far from the trailers. The one the main character is from, the one where everyone went 28 Days Later (lady with the machine gun from the teaser is shown in the trailer with an eye patch), and the Chris Parnell cyclops one.

I think those first two you are talking about is the same place but I guess we'll find out in a month!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's Vault 33 where Lucy and Overseer Kyle McLachlan are from, and Chris Parnell Vault. Walton Goggins is doing his Vault-Tec sales pitch from Vault 4, which might be the Parnell vault but who knows.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He's also shown running from the nuke with a kid, so I'm going to assume he was a famous pre war actor, mostly for cowboy movies, and got ghoulified during the war. Now he gets high as poo poo and shoots stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

He's also shown running from the nuke with a kid, so I'm going to assume he was a famous pre war actor, mostly for cowboy movies, and got ghoulified during the war. Now he gets high as poo poo and shoots stuff.

Living the dream, really.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Better tha being turned into a radioactive tree like some guys and ghouls

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dawgstar posted:

Living the dream, really.

There's also a guy in power armor punching a bear. Whats not to love?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The teaser for this a few months ago had me vaguely interested, the actual trailer looks like everyone involved understands the assignment.

This show will be made for the 90% of people who don't know what the gently caress Fallout is, with some fan service to the 9.9% who know Fallout 4/76 or 3 or New Vegas. Yet, I somehow get the feeling the only noise I'm going to hear about this show is the droning bullshit of the microscopic amount of Fallout 1 +2 fans yelling about lore no one cares about.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Torquemada posted:

The teaser for this a few months ago had me vaguely interested, the actual trailer looks like everyone involved understands the assignment.

This show will be made for the 90% of people who don't know what the gently caress Fallout is, with some fan service to the 9.9% who know Fallout 4/76 or 3 or New Vegas. Yet, I somehow get the feeling the only noise I'm going to hear about this show is the droning bullshit of the microscopic amount of Fallout 1 +2 fans yelling about lore no one cares about.

But enough about No Mutants Allowed. :smugdog:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm still skeptical of the series because Todd Howard is involved and it's really hard to adapt other media to tv series without messing something up.

But hey weirder things have happened and I would be happy if the show got the games some more love.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Torquemada posted:

Yet, I somehow get the feeling the only noise I'm going to hear about this show is the droning bullshit of the microscopic amount of Fallout 1 +2 fans yelling about lore no one cares about.

Look, buddy, you can't say a talking deathclaw won't be the next baby Yoda without giving it a fair shake :colbert:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

evilmiera posted:

I'm still skeptical of the series because Todd Howard is involved

I hoped it was just to answer yes/no questions. "Todd, does this door look right?" that kind of thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Torquemada posted:

Yet, I somehow get the feeling the only noise I'm going to hear about this show is the droning bullshit of the microscopic amount of Fallout 1 +2 fans yelling about lore no one cares about.

Bethesda already did way more damage to Fallout than this could ever possibly muster, if anything the further it gets from Fallout "canon" the better.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
People complain about Bethesda Fallout but they reality is they tool what was a well-regarded but almost forgotten franchise and turned it into a major one.

People love Fallout because of them. New Vegas only exists because Fallout 3 was a huge hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

People love Fallout because of them. New Vegas only exists because Fallout 3 was a huge hit.

Fallout 3 genuinely has one of my favorite moments in games where you step out of 101 to see the Capital Wasteland for the first time.