Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Fallout 3 genuinely has one of my favorite moments in games where you step out of 101 to see the Capital Wasteland for the first time.

I was pretty impressed with the opening of F4 :allears:

twistedmentat posted:

People complain about Bethesda Fallout but they reality is they tool what was a well-regarded but almost forgotten franchise and turned it into a major one.

I complain about F4 because the main plot is asinine, and I personally don't like the basebuilding, but all the power to folks who do

F4 is a great post-apocalyptic sniper simulator, and some of the side areas are hilarious and or creepy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Torquemada posted:

I hoped it was just to answer yes/no questions. "Todd, does this door look right?" that kind of thing.

I sure hope so. I don't hate the guy or anything but his stories always end up extremely bland and samey.

On the other hand you probably shouldn't make an extremely out there story for your first Fallout series, crazy fauna and flora excepted. I'm sure he could handle some basic setup and then whoever the showrunners are can do their own thing once they have the hang of the aesthetics.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean it's pretty much the same setup as FO1, 3 and 4. It follows a Vault Dweller who for one reason or another needs to leave for the surface, play the audience surrogate to all the weird societies and animals, and then they get caught up in a conflict larger than the needs of the Vault and then become a Wasteland Legend.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Arc Hammer posted:

There's Vault 33 where Lucy and Overseer Kyle McLachlan are from, and Chris Parnell Vault. Walton Goggins is doing his Vault-Tec sales pitch from Vault 4, which might be the Parnell vault but who knows.

I think Vault 4 could have been a demo vault. They had one or two of those in the lore, even if they aren't ever shown in the games.

I'm kind of wondering about the eye patch/pregnant machine gun lady though. Maybe it was one of the vault experiments and they all get occasionally drugged up with something that makes them psychopathic because we see her before the machine gun, during, and after with the eye patch. Maybe some raiders get in or something, but it looks interesting.

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm really worried about Nolan being the dude in charge. I loved the first season of Westworld, but it went downhill real, real fast after that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

First episode ends with The Machine going,"Huh, so that's what would have happened if Samaritan won? Crazy" and then bam we're into Season 6 of Person of Interest, with Walton Goggins replacing Jim Caviezel as John Reese's brother, Johnny Reese.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

People complain about Bethesda Fallout but they reality is they tool what was a well-regarded but almost forgotten franchise and turned it into a major one.

People love Fallout because of them. New Vegas only exists because Fallout 3 was a huge hit.

Yes that's all well and good but it doesn't make me not hate the content in Fallout 3 and 4.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
gimme dat goggins

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As long as the first episode ends with someone saying "well I wonder what the fallout of this will be".

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

First episode ends with The Machine going,"Huh, so that's what would have happened if Samaritan won? Crazy" and then bam we're into Season 6 of Person of Interest, with Walton Goggins replacing Jim Caviezel as John Reese's brother, Johnny Reese.

More Goggins and more PoI, yes please.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it appears that Ramin Djawadi is doing the music for the show. I'd have liked Inon Zur but Djawadi is great when he gets room to flex.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Jerusalem posted:

We already have Michael Emerson, so we just need Amy Acker and Kevin Chapman onboard.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

We already have Michael Emerson, so we just need Amy Acker and Kevin Chapman onboard.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Acker -- I think there was some intention to cast her in Katja Herbers role in Westworld IIRC.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Acker -- I think there was some intention to cast her in Katja Herbers role in Westworld IIRC.

I think they made the right decision, only a European could smoke with such vigour.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Rappaport posted:

F4 is a great post-apocalyptic sniper simulator, and some of the side areas are hilarious and or creepy!

It's also good for Space Marine meets Mad Max game play.

Stomp around in power armor, rolling your balls off buff psycho jet

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1770095384356131160

I was genuinely amused. An example of making a Speech check when it's not a tag skill.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1770095384356131160

I was genuinely amused. An example of making a Speech check when it's not a tag skill.

Yeah I want more after watching that. Feels exactly like a failed speech check.

Also the soundtrack cues have strong F:NV Mohave Desert combat vibes to them, very cool

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ramin Djawadi doing the music for this one and I'm glad he's got the weird west vibes going.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/falloutonprime/status/1770095384356131160?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreenNight posted:

As long as the first episode ends with someone saying "well I wonder what the fallout of this will be".

"This led to a fallout between them, but this will cause a fallout too"

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

RBA Starblade posted:

"This led to a fallout between them, but this will cause a fallout too"

"We need to choose some heroes to deal with this fallout. Three should suffice"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/NthDoctorWho/status/1770507540964471081

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1773017273126568321?t=iH7vmlnbpVFoafiDME769w&s=19

They seem to he having fun.

I know that people will get mad at the Okie-Dokie! and claim it's too kitschy for Fallout, so I'll head them off by saying "Happy Trails!" "Watch out for Strangers!" and "Laterrrrrrr"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

I know that people will get mad at the Okie-Dokie!

gently caress 'em, it's a funny catchphrase to have for a clueless goober from a vault

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I'm kind of looking forward to this. All the casting and promo stuff I've seen is promising and I do like the Fallout world, I just don't like Bethesda writing so I dipped out of the series after New Vegas. Looks like a good and less time consuming way to go back.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Looks like poo poo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dongicus posted:

Looks like poo poo

Turn on ur monitor

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1773741909988753595?t=3MSR-umfnU1gMw6ITHQMLw&s=19

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
finally, devilled eggs.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I hope they release a Sugar Bombs cereal because I'm definitely going to eat it. I know they're doing a Nuka-Cola promotion with Jones Soda.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Chamale posted:

I hope they release a Sugar Bombs cereal because I'm definitely going to eat it. I know they're doing a Nuka-Cola promotion with Jones Soda.

Oh, they announced the collector's edition for the TV show already?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Looks like that was from Fallout ‘76. Here is a video from 5 years ago that mentions how terrible (the rum) it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9naBulH2e9s

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Orvin posted:

Looks like that was from Fallout ‘76. Here is a video from 5 years ago that mentions how terrible (the rum) it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9naBulH2e9s

I would have been pretty disappointed if that was the Nuka-Cola crossover seeing as how it looks nothing like Nuka-Cola and is, in fact, not even cola.

NGL I wouldn't mind having a bottle of Nuka-Cola on my office shelf, provided they do a good job of making it look even vaguely like a model from one of the games

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Jones Soda is making a limited run of Nuka Victory. But it is peach mango soda (so orange colored), and not in a special shaped bottle.

https://www.jonessoda.com/pages/nuka-cola-victory

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Orvin posted:

Jones Soda is making a limited run of Nuka Victory. But it is peach mango soda (so orange colored), and not in a special shaped bottle.

https://www.jonessoda.com/pages/nuka-cola-victory

I knew that thanks to Chamale's post, but thanks for linking; I hadn't looked into it until you shared. I probably will not be going out of my way procure that :/

I'd love to hear how it tastes though, in case anybody ITT tries it! Curious to know how many Action Points it provides IRL

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IGN did a big interview with a lot of the producers, actors, and writers on Fallout

https://www.ign.com/articles/fallout-tv-series-amazon-prime-video-cast-showrunners-interview-wasteland-factions-vault-ghoul

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1775203503570305416?t=m2vKiyqTH0MZAcy0N9dWgw&s=19

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjWA4e7U7_Y

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Took me way too long to clock that the lead actor played Jackie on Yellowjackets, which has piqued my interest even more. She was fantastic and Jackie did nothing wrong.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 3, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

walton goggins saying 'you've never been on a ride like this before' makes me worry he doesn't respect the show cos it's such a cliche promo line but only need to wait a week or so to find out.

Laterite posted:

Took me way too long to clock that the lead actor played Jackie on Yellowjackets, which has piqued my interest even more. She did was fantastic and Jackie did nothing wrong.

yeah, she was the stand out of that show for me which I stopped watching after season 1 cos it seemed like it was going in a really stupid direction. some actors just have an ability to rise above material and make you care when you wouldn't otherwise.

so between the trio of her, goggins and mclachlan it's going to have to really stink to not be entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

roomtone posted:

walton goggins saying 'you've never been on a ride like this before' makes me worry he doesn't respect the show cos it's such a cliche promo line but only need to wait a week or so to find out.

yeah, she was the stand out of that show for me which I stopped watching after season 1 cos it seemed like it was going in a really stupid direction. some actors just have an ability to rise above material and make you care when you wouldn't otherwise.

so between the trio of her, goggins and mclachlan it's going to have to really stink to not be entertaining.

i feel like it will probably alright, even have some good moments, My worry is they try to be way way to wacky with it. I dont mind that edge/slice of wacky, fallout always had that including new vegas. i guess i am worried about borderlands level stupid. Id probably settle for peacemaker levels of wacky. it know what it is and respects the characters and etc but also isnt afraid to just be loving weird and silly but make that work.